PDA

View Full Version : Cal Poly's Rich Ellerson is the new coach at Army

slostang
December 26th, 2008, 10:19 AM
The official announcement came today.

Link: http://www.goarmysports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=11100&ATCLID=3637320

Big loss for Cal Poly. I am hoping the promote Cal Poly's OC Ian Shield or DC Pyam Saadat to head coach at Cal Poly. The next couple of weeks should be interesting.

Proud Griz Man
December 26th, 2008, 10:28 AM
The official announcement came today.

Link: http://www.goarmysports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=11100&ATCLID=3637320

Big loss for Cal Poly. I am hoping the promote Cal Poly's OC Ian Shield or DC Pyam Saadat to head coach at Cal Poly. The next couple of weeks should be interesting.

A sound decision and prompt decision will be needed, as recruiting season will be starting up soon. Is most of the Cal Poly staff staying?

slostang
December 26th, 2008, 10:33 AM
A sound decision and prompt decision will be needed, as recruiting season will be starting up soon. Is most of the Cal Poly staff staying?

Not sure who is going with Rich.

Cobblestone
December 26th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Good move by Army. It certainly makes much more sense than hiring Stan Brock ever did. I really expected Sean McDonnell (UNH) to get the job or perhaps Mark Whipple. Still, this looks like a good hire.

WrenFGun
December 26th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Boy, the current regime at Army didn't get much of a shot...Didn't help they got throttled by UNH, but still.

DFW HOYA
December 26th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Does anyone buy into focusing on the triple option is going to turn Army around? If you don't have the right talent, the triple option goes nowhere.

Ask the Hoyas. xnonono2x

slostang
December 26th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Does anyone buy into focusing on the triple option is going to turn Army around? If you don't have the right talent, the triple option goes nowhere.

Ask the Hoyas. xnonono2x

Yes I do believe that a Rich Ellerson run triple option and double eagle flex defense will turn around Army. They will be competitive next year and will really win once he gets some of his recruits in.

Cobblestone
December 26th, 2008, 11:16 AM

Ask the Hoyas. xnonono2x

I'm not a big fan of the triple option (i.e. Tim Stowers) but Ellerson has a proven record with it. I think he'll do fine at Army.

Tribe4SF
December 26th, 2008, 11:55 AM

Recruiting season started three weeks ago. Tough timing for Cal Poly. Assistants won't know their status til the HC gets settled. Hard to be effective on the recruiting trail when you don't even know if you'll be around.

BobcatJH
December 26th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Any details on how much of a raise he got?

If he was not given at least double his current salary, I would have held out for a better gig.

Cal Poly would have beaten army by 3 touchdowns this season, and they are supposed to be playing in the superior division.

Army is where good coaches go to die. No academy school will ever have the opportunity to play in a BCS game.

DFW HOYA
December 26th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Army is where good coaches go to die. No academy school will ever have the opportunity to play in a BCS game.

To borrow a phrase from a TV commercial, the academies answer to a higher authority than the BCS.

They are not seeking to win national titles, but getting to good bowl games and acquitting themselves well on the playing field is a reasonable goal. Air Force did it for years, Navy is doing it now, and Army ought to be in the mix as well.

Lionsrking
December 26th, 2008, 02:35 PM

If he was not given at least double his current salary, I would have held out for a better gig.

Cal Poly would have beaten army by 3 touchdowns this season, and they are supposed to be playing in the superior division.

That's probably the best FBS gig he'll get, unless there's another school out there willing to go the Georgia Tech route...if that were to happen, he has a better chance of jumping from Army than from C-P.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 26th, 2008, 02:51 PM
To borrow a phrase from a TV commercial, the academies answer to a higher authority than the BCS.

They are not seeking to win national titles, but getting to good bowl games and acquitting themselves well on the playing field is a reasonable goal. Air Force did it for years, Navy is doing it now, and Army ought to be in the mix as well.

You have to respect the athlete that will go play for the academies as well. There is about .0001% chance they will ever play pro ball and they have to put up with a hell of a lot more stuff than the normal student/athlete. xnodx

poly51
December 26th, 2008, 05:13 PM

Ellerson has said that Army would be the only job he would leave Cal Poly for. His father and brother are West Point grads. His brother played football there.

Go...gate
December 26th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Boy, the current regime at Army didn't get much of a shot...Didn't help they got throttled by UNH, but still.

From what you can discern on the Army website and another article in the local media which I think is on an earlier thread in "Other Sports", there was concern about the relations between Stan Brock and the USMA AD, which appear to have been discordant.

slostang
December 26th, 2008, 06:17 PM

Army is Ellerson's dream job. He has turned down other opportunities to interview at schools that would have paid more. He told Cal Poly back in 2001 that Army is the only job he would leave for. I imagine that he will get four times or more than his salary at Cal Poly ($164,000).

MR. CHICKEN
December 26th, 2008, 08:12 PM
WHEN RECRUITIN'......MILITARY ACADEMY MATERIAL PLAYERS......AIR FORCE & NAVY....WILL HOLD DUH BIG ADVANT.....OVERAH DUH GROUND POUNDERS.....SAFER TA FIGHT IN CONFLICTS....FROM BOATS & PLANES....xnodx....BRAWK/OBAMA!!

Go...gate
December 26th, 2008, 10:45 PM
WHEN RECRUITIN'......MILITARY ACADEMY MATERIAL PLAYERS......AIR FORCE & NAVY....WILL HOLD DUH BIG ADVANT.....OVERAH DUH GROUND POUNDERS.....SAFER TA FIGHT IN CONFLICTS....FROM BOATS & PLANES....xnodx....BRAWK/OBAMA!!

Yep. Ellerson will have a difficult job. Hope he finds some success.

poly51
December 26th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Yep. Ellerson will have a difficult job. Hope he finds some success.

He should be a good fit. His specialty at Cal Poly was smaller, very quick, well conditioned players.

Proud Griz Man
December 27th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Interest high for open Cal Poly job. Anyone hear if they are hiring from within or moving a different direction?

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/183/story/570529.html

Cal Poly football: Ellerson is in at Army now
Mustangs coach, who led the team to six consecutive winning seasons, has been hired to head football program at West Point
Joshua D. Scroggin - [email protected]

The U.S. Military Academy officially hired Cal Poly football coach Rich Ellerson official Friday, and the school administration is working quickly to find a replacement. As speculated since Monday, Ellerson will leave the Mustangs to take over at Army, where his father, two older brothers and nephew were graduates.

Cal Poly Athletic Director Alison Cone said she began fielding interest for the Mustangs job once news of the potential opening hit this past week and said she has already met with two candidates.

Though she declined to give names, Cone said one current assistant on Ellerson’s staff has applied and multiple candidates from major Bowl Championship Series-level schools have expressed interest. She said she’ll continue meeting with candidates over the weekend and into next week to replace Ellerson, who came to San Luis Obispo in 2001 and was the head coach for eight seasons.

“While it’s hard for us to lose him, he’s brought our program along so far that we’re getting interest from unbelievably qualified applicants,” Cone said. “While it’s bittersweet, his success has allowed us to attract some great people to the program.”

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 27th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Could Mike Ayers be the replacement for Poly?

Grizalltheway
December 27th, 2008, 11:49 AM
He should be a good fit. His specialty at Cal Poly was smaller, very quick, well conditioned players.

Ramses Barden must be the biggest 'smaller' player I've ever seen! xeekx

coover
December 28th, 2008, 08:16 PM

Ellersson is the son of a career Army officer and he has an older brother who played for Army. Ellerson, himself, attended the Naval Academy for a year before transferring to Hawaii.

When Ellerson took the Cal Poly job several years ago, he told the AD that the ONLY job he would leave Cal Poly for is the HC at Army.

Army was and is Ellerson's dream job. The Black Knights may be paying him more than Cal Poly ... but that was not necessary.