PDA

View Full Version : If Montana loses, who gets the seed?

FlyBoy8
November 19th, 2005, 03:45 PM
1. UNH
2. ASU
3. HU
4. ????

Gotta be Texas St. at 9-2, right? That would really make it difficult to designate regions with three east coast teams having seeds. I don't really see any other options though.

LarryBoy
November 19th, 2005, 03:46 PM
I'm biased, but with a win today (which looks likely so far), I'm saying it goes to Furman. Should be interesting to see what the committee thinks.

Reed Rothchild
November 19th, 2005, 03:47 PM
UNI, no questions asked

With our quarterback healthy, we beat 3 top 10 teams (at that time) in a row.

JALMOND
November 19th, 2005, 03:48 PM
UNI, no questions asked

My opinion, it would come from the Gateway. UNI or whoever wins the conference.

The committee considers the Gateway to be in the west.

Poly Pigskin
November 19th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Could be Furman, though that would really screw up the regions. GPI says Texas State should get it. It's gotta be one of those two, I just don't see two 3-loss teams getting seeds.

Reed Rothchild
November 19th, 2005, 03:50 PM
My opinion, it would come from the Gateway. UNI or whoever wins the conference.

UNI won the conference already.

Need to finish strong and blow out NAU.

GaSouthern
November 19th, 2005, 03:53 PM
GSU haha

umassfan
November 19th, 2005, 03:53 PM
GSU would get the 4th seed.

SpiritCymbal
November 19th, 2005, 03:58 PM
I think Furman has a legitimate shot at getting the #4 seed, but as someone pointed out, that would mean all 4 seeds belong on the east coast. That alone could have an affect on it.

Texas St. would be the next in line, IMO.

(GSU has absolutely NO SHOT at getting a seed...and rightfully so.)

gsugt1
November 19th, 2005, 04:00 PM
I would think Furman but you never know.

SpiritCymbal
November 19th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Let me rephrase that by saying that Furman "deserves" it in my opinion, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they'll get it.

HensRock
November 19th, 2005, 04:05 PM
1. UNH
2. ASU
3. HU
4. ????

Gotta be Texas St. at 9-2, right? That would really make it difficult to designate regions with three east coast teams having seeds. I don't really see any other options though.

Please stop calling Texas State 9-2. If the discussion involves playoff selection they will be 7-2 with a win today. That still might be good enough for a seed, but my money would be on 9-2 (not 7-2) Furman.

FlyBoy8
November 19th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Do you know how many changes you'd have to make if you took away everyone's D-II wins? Delaware is 6-5, are they not? Or do they not have a winning season?

Sheesh.

JALMOND
November 19th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Montana still might get the seed, even with the loss. It would be interesting, the Griz gets the seed but do not win the conference.

gsugt1
November 19th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Montana still might get the seed, even with the loss. It would be interesting, the Griz gets the seed but do not win the conference.

No way that happens.

Eaglegus2
November 19th, 2005, 04:18 PM

Grasping for straws here.

Furman should be the #4 seed.

There is no rule that states a seed must be from every region.

Pantherpower
November 19th, 2005, 04:19 PM
2 seeds from 1 conference???? No way that should happen IMO. Furman has a fine team, but if you can't win your own conference, you don't deserve a top 4 seed.

gsugt1
November 19th, 2005, 04:20 PM
2 seeds from 1 conference???? No way that should happen IMO. Furman has a fine team, but if you can't win your own conference, you don't deserve a top 4 seed.

It happen last year with GSU and FU.

youwouldno
November 19th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Losing the last game of the season can't help you get a seed, but it is still possible.

I think there's little question Furman is the most 'deserving,' geographic aspects aside. Now, obviously geography is a factor... but I don't really see how giving Furman a seed creates such a great problem. No matter what, there's going to be some travel if you look at the probable field.

Nicholls, if they hold on, would have to go a ways no matter who they play (since Texas St. is in their conference). They could be @ a seeded Furman with ASU maybe getting EIU and GSU getting... someone. I'm confused.

SpiritCymbal
November 19th, 2005, 04:23 PM
It's happened plenty of times before with teams in the A10 and SoCon. I would be surprised to find years that the Gateway had multiple seeds as well.

JALMOND
November 19th, 2005, 04:23 PM
No way that happens.

Griz did lose so we'll see what they do...I still say either the Gateway conference winner (N Iowa) or the Big Sky conference co-champion (Montana).

I do agree, you should win your conference outright to get a seed, but the Big Sky has been strong all year. Really, I don't know. We'll see tomorrow.

lazyjkcats
November 19th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Griz did lose so we'll see what they do...I still say either the Gateway conference winner (N Iowa) or the Big Sky conference co-champion (Montana).

I do agree, you should win your conference outright to get a seed, but the Big Sky has been strong all year. Really, I don't know. We'll see tomorrow.

I think that the Cats should get it over the griz.

there is only one game difference between them and that game diff is because the Cats played a tough game against Ok.St and the griz played a DivII Fort Lewis.

Plus the Cats beat the Griz

I know it won't happen, but it should

HensRock
November 19th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Do you know how many changes you'd have to make if you took away everyone's D-II wins? Delaware is 6-5, are they not? Or do they not have a winning season?

Sheesh.

I do not have to make any changes at all. Because that is already the way it is. Div-II wins are IGNORED by the selection committee. Yes, Delaware finished the season 6-5, but then they are not being mentioned in the same breath as "playoffs".

When talking about playoffs and selection and who gets in and who doesn't, it's only the D-I record that matters. Trust me.

JALMOND
November 19th, 2005, 04:30 PM
I think that the Cats should get it over the griz.

there is only one game difference between them and that game diff is because the Cats played a tough game against Ok.St and the griz played a DivII Fort Lewis.

Plus the Cats beat the Griz

I know it won't happen, but it should

I know it should. EWU should be ahead of the Griz as well due to head to head. But we'll see tomorrow.

GaSouthern
November 19th, 2005, 04:30 PM
any chance of it being Tx State?

ButlerGSU
November 19th, 2005, 04:33 PM
I hope Georgia Southern is not seeded, if I am correct we have won more National Championships while not seeded. Looking for number seven...

GSUISBACK
November 19th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Hey flyboy what school do you represent?

TulsaBobcat
November 19th, 2005, 04:34 PM
I know it should. EWU should be ahead of the Griz as well due to head to head. But we'll see tomorrow.

That is the problem with the Big Sky. They beat each other up all year long and usually (except for Montana) the teams don't have great records at season's end.

HensRock
November 19th, 2005, 04:35 PM

Why do you think Montana would get a seed over EWU ???? That's crazy.
NO way in hell the committee will give a seed to a 7-3 team that barely qualifies for the playoffs. Montana will get a home game (2 if they're lucky - which they usually are). IMO, Furman will get the other seed if they win. If not them, then TxSt.

JALMOND
November 19th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Why do you think Montana would get a seed over EWU ???? That's crazy.
NO way in hell the committee will give a seed to a 7-3 team that barely qualifies for the playoffs. Montana will get a home game (2 if they're lucky - which they usually are). IMO, Furman will get the other seed if they win. If not them, then TxSt.

Too close to call in my book. We'll see tomorrow.

FlyBoy8
November 19th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Hey flyboy what school do you represent?

Delaware

November 19th, 2005, 06:13 PM
UNI or Furman maybe

Tribe4SF
November 19th, 2005, 06:13 PM
According to Roachel Laney, committee chair, geography has nothing to do with the selection of seeds. The committee will identify the best four teams in the country, and seed them.

ButlerGSU
November 19th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Delaware

FlyBoy, can you give me any information the grad program at U Del? (The MPA program)

TexasTerror
November 19th, 2005, 06:19 PM
I think you go 9-2 Furman over 7-2 TxSt squad...

Solely based on more Div I wins and strength of schedule which Furman has based on conference...

JALMOND
November 19th, 2005, 06:22 PM
According to Roachel Laney, committee chair, geography has nothing to do with the selection of seeds. The committee will identify the best four teams in the country, and seed them.

If that's the case, then it would be Furman. Although I still like the idea of having to win your conference to get a seed. Guess it will all pan out tomorrow.

TexasTerror
November 19th, 2005, 06:27 PM
If that's the case, then it would be Furman. Although I still like the idea of having to win your conference to get a seed. Guess it will all pan out tomorrow.

Winning your conference? As co-champ, outright, autobid, does it matter?

WhereDoITypeMyUsername?
November 19th, 2005, 06:37 PM
I think I like UNI, Furman, App State for a seed more than Hampton, if it comes right down to it.

NYSigma
November 19th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Excuse all of you! You have an 11-0 team that a lot of you guys finally gave a #3 seed to prior to Montana losing. How in the Hell do you just let a team leap over Hampton and just leave them at a #3 seed. That is just plain wrong.. Hampton should get the #2 seed. Come on now guys give then some credit....You guys are so biased it's not even right.

November 19th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Excuse all of you! ... You guys are so biased it's not even right.I guess you are not biased? As long as you get a seed it doesn't matter which one you get.

JALMOND
November 19th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Excuse all of you! You have an 11-0 team that a lot of you guys finally gave a #3 seed to prior to Montana losing. How in the Hell do you just let a team leap over Hampton and just leave them at a #3 seed. That is just plain wrong.. Hampton should get the #2 seed. Come on now guys give then some credit....You guys are so biased it's not even right.

Strength of schedule. Anyway, no one here is on the committee. We'll see how it all shakes out tomorrow.

youwouldno
November 19th, 2005, 07:16 PM
I want Hampton seeded. Helps eliminate a seed early, so its more likely my Paladins get another home game (assuming they are home in the 1st round), though of course it will depend on the bracket.

They don't deserve a seed based on talent, but hey, they have the D-I wins. They'll pay the price when they run into real competition, but that's their problem.

Pantherpower
November 19th, 2005, 09:01 PM
I want Hampton seeded. Helps eliminate a seed early, so its more likely my Paladins get another home game (assuming they are home in the 1st round), though of course it will depend on the bracket.

Well said, youwouldno. Not that Hampton has played a schedule that warrants receiving a seed, but it's nearly inevitable. Nice theory on wanting to be in the same bracket as the champs of the "mighty" MEAC. You take care of your business in the first round in the game opposite Hampton and you KNOW that Hampton is going to lose, so even if you're not seeded, you're likely hosting two games. I could see a situation where you guys (Furman)would host Richmond (who will have beaten HU in the 1st round) in the second round.

Bobcat94
November 19th, 2005, 09:14 PM
AGAIN.

GSU beat Furman. McNeese beat GSU. Texas State beat McNeese.

Other than the polls, two of which probably more recognized than the third; and the GPI have Texas State in the top four!!!

The comparison of opponents is easy.

Texas State gets the seed.

I've predicted this for about three or four weeks now. Thanks MSU Bobcats!!!!!! We owe you one!!!!!!

Texas State gets the fourth seed and hosts Cal Poly; which by the way should be a great game.......

matfu
November 19th, 2005, 09:21 PM
i would bet on FURMAN!

PantherMan
November 19th, 2005, 09:32 PM

You should be happy to get a seed tomorrow at all. Hampton is NOT one of the top 4 teams in IAA this season. They will have the best record of the playoff teams, but they are far from tops in the country as far as overall team strength...

Reed Rothchild
November 19th, 2005, 09:48 PM
You should be happy to get a seed tomorrow at all. Hampton is NOT one of the top 4 teams in IAA this season. They will have the best record of the playoff teams, but they are far from tops in the country as far as overall team strength...

They WILL get a seed. They got it done during the season, winning all their games. They will be rewarded for a very successful season.

PantherMan
November 19th, 2005, 09:53 PM
They WILL get a seed. They got it done during the season, winning all their games. They will be rewarded for a very successful season.

I absolutely agree. They will get a seed. My point still stands that they are not one of the top 4 teams that play IAA football.

eaglesrthe1
November 19th, 2005, 10:33 PM
I guess you are not biased? As long as you get a seed it doesn't matter which one you get.

Sure it matters. The potential difference is large. Seeds 1 and 2 have the right to host throughout. Unless a team immediately behind Hampton has a big win, then they should not be jumped. They should just move up, like any other team would.

PantherMan
November 19th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Sure it matters. The potential difference is large. Seeds 1 and 2 have the right to host throughout. Unless a team immediately behind Hampton has a big win, then they should not be jumped. They should just move up, like any other team would.

For all I care, give Hampton the #1 seed. I don't see them winning one game in the playoffs, hosting or not.

blackfordpu
November 19th, 2005, 10:38 PM
AGAIN.

Other than the polls, two of which probably more recognized than the third; and the GPI have Texas State in the top four!!!

I've predicted this for about three or four weeks now. Thanks MSU Bobcats!!!!!! We owe you one!!!!!!

Texas State gets the fourth seed and hosts Cal Poly; which by the way should be a great game.......

Texas State does not even get the auto bid. You won't know if you even get in until Sunday. Don't count your chickens just yet. Nicholls St. should get the seed over you.

youwouldno
November 19th, 2005, 10:47 PM
AGAIN.

LoL

I'll just assume this is a joke.

The transitive property doesn't work in football. Not only that, but if McNeese played GSU now, they'd get OWNED, just like Texas State will get owned by any of the 3 SoCon playoff teams. Texas St's most impressive game is their loss to A&M. That says a lot.

PantherMan
November 19th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Even with the loss today, I think Montana still has a slim hope of a seed. UNI also has hope. I think that the committee is going to be forced to make some tough decisions regarding the last couple seeds. Will they make it at all regional? Will they give 2 teams from the same conference a seed? Etc. etc. My guess is that they go "somewhat" regional. Travel expenses add up quick. Giving all 4 seeds to southern and eastern schools makes the bills go up quite quickly in sending teams from the west all the way across the country. I know that some of you out there have been clamoring about the fact that some member of the selection committee said XY & Z about this not being regionalized, but the NCAA likes their $flow$, and regionalization saves them $.

eaglesrthe1
November 19th, 2005, 10:56 PM
I can't see Montana getting a seed.

IMO, the seeds will be:

UNH
ASU
HU
FU

McNeese75
November 19th, 2005, 11:36 PM
LoL

I'll just assume this is a joke.

The transitive property doesn't work in football. Not only that, but if McNeese played GSU now, they'd get OWNED, just like Texas State will get owned by any of the 3 SoCon playoff teams. Texas St's most impressive game is their loss to A&M. That says a lot.

If you play them, you better hope it is in the Boro. They have over 25 seniors on this squad, a top 10 defense, a 6'5" 230 lb Sr QB leading a balanced offense. They should provide anyone in the post-season plenty of competition unless they shoot themselves in the foot which can happen to anyone.

youwouldno
November 19th, 2005, 11:53 PM
I'm not a GSU fan. And I know Texas St. is dangerous. They just don't deserve a seed.

Bobcat94
November 19th, 2005, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the support 75. These guys really have no clue what Texas State can do. They're lost in the overated SoCon.

Nicholls State and Texas State will show up strong in the playoffs.

Bobcat94
November 20th, 2005, 12:01 AM
What a bunch of hacks!!!!! Texas State doesn't even get an auto bid. Just stupid!!!!!!

blackfordpu
November 20th, 2005, 12:02 AM
What a bunch of hacks!!!!! Texas State doesn't even get an auto bid. Just stupid!!!!!!

Nicholls St. beat you and therefore gets the auto bid. Your fate is up the the committee. Make sure to listen on Sunday.

McNeese75
November 20th, 2005, 12:08 AM
I'm not a GSU fan. And I know Texas St. is dangerous. They just don't deserve a seed.

Well, based on their GPI and the talent on their team, I think they deserve a seed as much as Furman. Of course these are all just opinions. ;)

McNeese75
November 20th, 2005, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the support 75. These guys really have no clue what Texas State can do. They're lost in the overated SoCon.

Nicholls State and Texas State will show up strong in the playoffs.

It's a whole new season starting tomorrow 94 and there are NO easy teams left. Taking the SoCon for granted or thinking they are overrated will get your tail in a wringer in a hurry. It's one game at a time from here on out, if you look up, you lose!! :eek:

TXST_CAT
November 20th, 2005, 12:18 AM
:eyebrow:

With two of the most respected polls in all of college football having us ranked as the second best football team in the DivI-AA I think we have impressed plenty of people in the know. Regardless of what those on this site may feel Our only Div I-AA loss was by a field goal in OT. Our only other loss was to a team that would other wise have the game won by before it even started and many feel we could have won. So I ask all of you why does TXST not deserve a seed? As for the number of AA wins we have that should be negated by the fact that we have played several ranked teams during the season. Not to mention if you look at our margine of victory there is no doubt we can handle our own!!!

blackfordpu
November 20th, 2005, 12:21 AM
:eyebrow:

With two of the most respected polls in all of college football having us ranked as the second best football team in the DivI-AA I think we have impressed plenty of people in the know. Regardless of what those on this site may feel Our only Div I-AA loss was by a field goal in OT. Our only other loss was to a team that would other wise have the game won by before it even started and many feel we could have won. So I ask all of you why does TXST not deserve a seed? As for the number of AA wins we have that should be negated by the fact that we have played several ranked teams during the season. Not to mention if you look at our margine of victory there is no doubt we can handle our own!!!

The fact that you did not recieve the auto bid will hurt your argument.

tobmoox
November 20th, 2005, 12:23 AM
Montana State University Bobcats are a great team. Was at today's game in one of the bands and the cats are amazing. The Griz looked like monsters up close, yet the cats were that much better. :cool:
Don't forget that 10-15 Oklahoma game from the start.

TXST_CAT
November 20th, 2005, 12:28 AM
The fact that you did not recieve the auto bid will hurt your argument.
But we have been in the top 10 for weeks and only droped once to our co-champ team.

Unless your trying to take away from the toughness of our conference!
This should help our argument.
Courtesy TXST Media Guide:
Texas State comes into the final game of the season averaging 39.10 points per game which ranks
seventh among Division I-AA schools. The Bobcats have scored a combined 87 points in its last two
wins.
Defensively, Texas State is allowing 17.9 points an outing which ranks 12th in Division I-AA.
Texas State is one of only three Division I-AA teams ranked in the top 15 in both scoring offense and
scoring defense. The other two are non-scholarship Dayton and San Diego

blackfordpu
November 20th, 2005, 12:37 AM
But we have been in the top 10 for weeks and only droped once to our co-champ team.

Unless your trying to take away from the toughness of our conference!
This should help our argument.
Courtesy TXST Media Guide:
Texas State comes into the final game of the season averaging 39.10 points per game which ranks
seventh among Division I-AA schools. The Bobcats have scored a combined 87 points in its last two
wins.
Defensively, Texas State is allowing 17.9 points an outing which ranks 12th in Division I-AA.
Texas State is one of only three Division I-AA teams ranked in the top 15 in both scoring offense and
scoring defense. The other two are non-scholarship Dayton and San Diego

I'm not trying to take anything away from you at all. Tx State has had a great season, but you didn't get the auto bid and the two D-II games will hurt come selection time. If you get in I doubt it will be a seed, hey I could be wrong. We'll just have to wait and see.

Bobcat94
November 20th, 2005, 12:39 AM
My bad. You do know what I mean. I saw and typed in error.........

tobmoox
November 20th, 2005, 12:39 AM
MSU Bobcats FTW