PDA

View Full Version : Devlin to Delaware

ChickenMan
December 22nd, 2008, 05:46 PM
Looks like UD has a QB for next season.. too bad they didn't have one this year.

As expected, former Penn State quarterback Pat Devlin committed to Delaware, a source close to Devlin told The Inquirer today. Devlin, along with his parents, Mark and Connie, visited the Newark campus this weekend and gave coach K.C. Keeler his pledge upon the conclusion of the visit. Devlin, a former high school all-American at Downingtown East, transferred out of the Penn State two weeks ago after a season as the backup to Daryll Clark.

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/Devlin_to_Del.html

Reign of Terrier
December 22nd, 2008, 05:48 PM
...and another transfer to Delaware!

TCisMYhero
December 22nd, 2008, 05:48 PM
Big surprise.

Rob Iola
December 22nd, 2008, 05:52 PM
...and another transfer to Delaware!
Years since UD's been in the NC: 1
Years since Wofford's been in the NC: lost count at forever...

I'd luv to chat further, but I'm busy replaying the Dallas/Ravens game...

Reign of Terrier
December 22nd, 2008, 05:57 PM
Years since UD's been in the NC: 1
Years since Wofford's been in the NC: lost count at forever...

I'd luv to chat further, but I'm busy replaying the Dallas/Ravens game...

Years since Wofford has made the playoffs without transfers: 1 (2007-This year we got a Navy transfer who hardly got any playing timexoopsx )

Years since Delaware has made the playoffs without transfers: umm.....longer than Woffordxrulesx xrulesx xcoffeex xcoffeex xpeacex .

My team's players wanted to go to Wofford as A FIRST CHOICExthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

ChickenMan
December 22nd, 2008, 06:10 PM
Years since Wofford has made the playoffs without transfers: 1 (2007-This year we got a Navy transfer who hardly got any playing timexoopsx )

Years since Delaware has made the playoffs without transfers: umm.....longer than Woffordxrulesx xrulesx xcoffeex xcoffeex xpeacex .

My team's players wanted to go to Wofford as A FIRST CHOICExthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Apparently 'transfers' are inappropriate only when it comes to Delaware.. Montana had more than a couple playing for them in Chattanooga and I didn't see any mention of that fact here.. before or after the game... xrolleyesx

paward
December 22nd, 2008, 06:13 PM
Did I miss something this week? I thought this was ole news.

JMU2004
December 22nd, 2008, 06:16 PM
Nothing against the Blue Hens, but this is getting really old!

xsmiley_wix

ChickenMan
December 22nd, 2008, 06:17 PM
Nothing against the Blue Hens, but this is getting really old!

xsmiley_wix

What was getting 'old' fast.. was watching our miserable QB play this past season... :p

paward
December 22nd, 2008, 06:23 PM
What was getting 'old' fast.. was watching our miserable QB play this past season... :p

You have a point. However I have a question. It is possible, just possible that when you become a team that are known to take a ton of transfers it messes up the chemistry of the team? Also I am new to this stuff so the year you won the NC was it with a transfer QB or one that came through the ranks.

I DO NOT WANT TO HAVE OTHERS CHIME IN ON TRANSFER OR NON TRANSFER. Just want you honest thoughts on this on Chickenman.

Grizalltheway
December 22nd, 2008, 06:24 PM
Apparently 'transfers' are inappropriate only when it comes to Delaware.. Montana had more than a couple playing for them in Chattanooga and I didn't see any mention of that fact here.. before or after the game... xrolleyesx

Yeah, but the QBs who led us to national championships were homegrown boys. xthumbsupx

ChickenMan
December 22nd, 2008, 06:37 PM
You have a point. However I have a question. It is possible, just possible that when you become a team that are known to take a ton of transfers it messes up the chemistry of the team? Also I am new to this stuff so the year you won the NC was it with a transfer QB or one that came through the ranks.

I DO NOT WANT TO HAVE OTHERS CHIME IN ON TRANSFER OR NON TRANSFER. Just want you honest thoughts on this on Chickenman.

UD hasn't taken a ton of transfers.. just a lot at the QB position. Since QB is a high profile position.. it's much bigger news then the transfer of a OL or a DB... but fact is that there are teams in the CAA that routinely have taken more transfers than has UD.

UD won in '03 with Andy Hall at QB (Georgia Tech) transfer. There's been no problem at all with team chemistry.. the problem is with Keeler's inability or unwillingness to agressively recruit high school QBs.. which in turn requires the Hens to go the transfer route. KC says he's going to correct that problem.. but we will see.

State Line Liquors
December 22nd, 2008, 06:53 PM
According to their rosters, UNI had more transfers that UD this past season. Since they're perennial champion of the MVC (Meaningless Victories Conference), I figure it must be a good idea for us to get them too. xthumbsupx

Welcome aboard Pat!

HENJOHN
December 22nd, 2008, 06:54 PM
What a bunch of crap about "all of the transfers". The QB position has certainly been one of note that the UD has had to go the Transfer route but Hell we won one NC with a transfer QB, got into the NC game with another who is now starting in the NFL. I'll take that everytime.

Besides, there are a number of teams just in our conference who have more transfers on their roster than UD. Check some of them out.

State Line Liquors
December 22nd, 2008, 06:55 PM
Yeah, but the QBs who led us to national championships were homegrown boys. xthumbsupx

So were those linemen that block for those homegrown boys too, right?!xsmiley_wix

Grizalltheway
December 22nd, 2008, 06:57 PM
So were those linemen that block for those homegrown boys too, right?!xsmiley_wix

xshhhx

Henny
December 22nd, 2008, 07:01 PM
Yes UD takes transfers

They come from Notre Dame, Georgia Tech, Duke, and in this case, Penn State. Our transfers are solid citizens who find a school with equal academics than the school they previously attended.

It's better than someone like Micky Matthews who combs the tidewater region looking for the kid who runs the fastest, regardless of their academic qualifications.

Bettina90
December 22nd, 2008, 07:04 PM
Not to fan any flames, but Ben Patrick and Shawn Johnson were not QBs. And, living in the State and occasionally looking at gohens.net, I can say as a matter of fact that there is a 2nd recruiting season in the spring where possible transfers are discussed, and not just QBs (Ronald Talley).

I don't have a problem with it, but let's be honest. And the fact that other conference teams have more does not really factor in whether or not Delaware has made transfers a big part of their program, I think it's fairly clear they have.

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 22nd, 2008, 07:04 PM
Yes UD takes transfers

They come from Notre Dame, Georgia Tech, Duke, and in this case, Penn State. Our transfers are solid citizens who find a school with equal academics than the school they previously attended.

It's better than someone like Micky Matthews who combs the tidewater region looking for the kid who runs the fastest, regardless of their academic qualifications.

I believe you are confused..........that would be BEAMER AND VICK......xnodx

unhfan1
December 22nd, 2008, 07:13 PM
Lets see how he does against Richmond's defense.

JMU2004
December 22nd, 2008, 07:17 PM
Yes UD takes transfers

Lol....now you're just reaching.

Our APR is just fine, thank you. Our players stay in school and graduate, and actually manage to NOT get in trouble, flunk out, or require transfers to have a good season.

ABH, I've missed your spunk!

State Line Liquors
December 22nd, 2008, 07:20 PM
Not to fan any flames, but Ben Patrick and Shawn Johnson were not QBs. And, living in the State and occasionally looking at gohens.net, I can say as a matter of fact that there is a 2nd recruiting season in the spring where possible transfers are discussed, and not just QBs (Ronald Talley).

I don't have a problem with it, but let's be honest. And the fact that other conference teams have more does not really factor in whether or not Delaware has made transfers a big part of their program, I think it's fairly clear they have.

I don't think anyone is denying that we get transfers. Given the QB play this past season we'd have to be fools to not encourage him to attend UD. I actually read in one paper that Devlin was considering UR. We've been particularly behind the 8 ball recruiting QBs out of high school. If you didn't have Ward, do you think London wouldn't be making his case to have Devlin play for the Spiders?

Our counterpoint to the jibes are that we are doing the same thing that many other programs are doing, as allowed by the NCAA, but we just happen to do it more successfully (most of the time).

Bettina90
December 22nd, 2008, 07:29 PM
If you didn't have Ward, do you think London wouldn't be making his case to have Devlin play for the Spiders?

Our counterpoint to the jibes are that we are doing the same thing that many other programs are doing, as allowed by the NCAA, but we just happen to do it more successfully (most of the time).

A) I saw that as well, and the answer is I just don't know. You would think so but given that UR has next to no history of it makes me wonder if there might be some sort of institutional resistance to it.

B) Agreed, there is certainly no rule against it and UD is not the only doing it. Montana had 3 transfers on their OLine alone.xwhistlex

paward
December 22nd, 2008, 07:32 PM
In Richmond's case MHO is that it would do something in respect to the team's chemistry. We have two redshirt freshman and a good recruit coming in next year. I too am not pro or against it. I think whatever works for your team do it.

Anovafan
December 22nd, 2008, 07:40 PM
Devlin is a straight A kid and a great QB. From what I know, JMU, UR and UD were in the running. I have to think Flacco getting drafted in the first round swayed him to UD. He will make UD a contender immediately. I look forward to beating another highly touted transfer QB two years in a row. xnodx

JMU2004
December 22nd, 2008, 07:49 PM
I don't think anyone is denying that we get transfers. Given the QB play this past season we'd have to be fools to not encourage him to attend UD. I actually read in one paper that Devlin was considering UR. We've been particularly behind the 8 ball recruiting QBs out of high school. If you didn't have Ward, do you think London wouldn't be making his case to have Devlin play for the Spiders?

Nothing wrong with taking a talent like Devlin. I have heard nothing bad about him, aside from changing his mind a few times.

Easy hen fans, no need to be defensive. I am happy with the JMU QB position, but I would have liked this guy.

However, Keeler needs to high a true HS recuiter....they are getting beat there.

Mountain Panther
December 22nd, 2008, 08:06 PM
According to their rosters, UNI had more transfers that UD this past season. Since they're perennial champion of the MVC (Meaningless Victories Conference)

I would like to see you make ONE POST in the General Forum that isn't Smack.

Merry Christmas!

Tribe4SF
December 22nd, 2008, 08:19 PM
Devlin is a straight A kid and a great QB. From what I know, JMU, UR and UD were in the running. I have to think Flacco getting drafted in the first round swayed him to UD. He will make UD a contender immediately. I look forward to beating another highly touted transfer QB two years in a row. xnodx

I think what swayed him to UD was that the job was his for the taking. He wasn't just looking to transfer, he was looking to play immediately. His situation is different from Flacco, who had been told he would never be the starter at Pitt, and who could afford to take a redshirt year and still start for two years.

Whether he makes UD a contender immediately remains to be seen. His learning curve should be helped by the fact that he ran a similar offense in high school, but unless the o-line play improves, the Hens will still face challenges. During Flacco's senior year the Delaware line was outstanding. Corey Nicholson is now the only one left from that group, and the other guys returning from this year were not that impressive.

SunCoastBlueHen
December 22nd, 2008, 08:29 PM
Bottom line - yes, Delaware gets many high impact players via the transfer route. As a mater of fact, I think K.C. Keeler has more and better recruiting contacts via the college transfer route than he does in the H.S. coaching ranks. As a matter of fact, I understand many H.S. coaches are not that fond of Keeler. So, I agree that K.C. tries to build his program from disenchanted players from the higher ranks and I will not argue that fact. However, in going that route, K.C. has an excellent track record of bringing in student athletes with solid backgrounds and excellent academic credentials. If a true student athlete is brought in to help the football program, I do not have a problem. xpeacex

UNIFanSince1983
December 22nd, 2008, 08:30 PM
According to their rosters, UNI had more transfers that UD this past season. Since they're perennial champion of the MVC (Meaningless Victories Conference), I figure it must be a good idea for us to get them too. xthumbsupx

Welcome aboard Pat!

Well I don't know where you were looking, but UNI only had 4 kids transfer from FBS schools. We have quite a few JUCO guys, but that isn't what was being talked about here.

Delaware on the other hand had 13 kids that were transfers from FBS schools.

So maybe go back and check your facts before you throw something crazy out like that.

Bettina90
December 22nd, 2008, 08:30 PM
HaHa, as if to prove any point about Delaware and Transfers, here is the first response post in the thread on gohens.net about confirmation on the Devlin transfer:

"Great news! Now let's get a stud OL transfer to get enrolled pronto to get some spring seasoning."

And the one right after that continues it.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 22nd, 2008, 08:33 PM
I would like to see you make ONE POST in the General Forum that isn't Smack.

Merry Christmas!

I have very little tolerance for a UNI fan complaining about Smack ... after your fans hi-jacked our board the week prior to our game and offered no insight into the game besides the Dome being loud and the turf being hard. It was noted by all Spider fans that few came back to offer congrats after the game was over.

What goes around ... comes around, buddy.

Mountain Panther
December 22nd, 2008, 08:41 PM
I have very little tolerance for a UNI fan complaining about Smack ... after your fans hi-jacked our board the week prior to our game and offered no insight into the game besides the Dome being loud and the turf being hard. It was noted by all Spider fans that few came back to offer congrats after the game was over.

What goes around ... comes around, buddy.

This has NOTHING to do with you. Move along...

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 22nd, 2008, 08:48 PM

No. This thread had nothing to do with UNI until your dopey colleague writes 'Big Surprise' regarding the Blue Hens getting transfers when they have a number of JUCO and FBS transfers themselves.

UNI fans need to grow a pair.

YoUDeeMan
December 22nd, 2008, 08:52 PM

I must have missed something...did State Line Liquors personally call you out in his post? xeyebrowx If not, perhaps SLL's post had NOTHING to do with you, yet you felt the need to post a response. xwhistlex

Ahhhhh, SLL creates feeling in others that they don't understand themselves. Vrrrrooooooooooom! Vrrrrrrrrrrooooooooooooom! :D

UNIFanSince1983
December 22nd, 2008, 08:52 PM
So are you saying it wasn't a surprise?

By the way we have JUCOs from Iowa originally. And we only had 4 FBS transfers which isn't a "number".

And to reference the UNI fans talking trash on your message board. It is sad. That is now the new breed of UNI fan. I don't like it as much as you do. They seem to become fans like the ones we so much despise that wear black and gold and are just down the road. So I apologize for those morons.

PantherRob82
December 22nd, 2008, 08:54 PM

I've met a former UD player who hates Keeler because of it.

YoUDeeMan
December 22nd, 2008, 08:56 PM
So are you saying it wasn't a surprise?

By the way we have JUCOs from Iowa originally.

Hey, Devlin is from a town about 20 miles from Delaware. If the state of Delaware was the size of Iowa, a lot more of our players would be "home grown" xthumbsupx xnodx

xpeacex

UNIFanSince1983
December 22nd, 2008, 08:59 PM
I have no problem with Devlin going to Delaware. I see no problem with teams getting transfers from FBS. I was just pointing out facts for UNI that other people seem to have gotten wrong. And as for me saying it wasn't a surprise it was because he is close to home and just seemed like a logical fit.

I wish him well and I am sure he will put Delaware back to where they should be.

Bettina90
December 22nd, 2008, 08:59 PM
Hey, Devlin is from a town about 20 miles from Delaware. If the state of Delaware was the size of Iowa, a lot more of our players would be "home grown" xthumbsupx xnodx

xpeacex

Point: Cluck U

Mountain Panther
December 22nd, 2008, 09:00 PM
No. This thread had nothing to do with UNI until your dopey colleague writes 'Big Surprise' regarding the Blue Hens getting transfers when they have a number of JUCO and FBS transfers themselves.

UNI fans need to grow a pair.

A little light-hearted smack (e.g. "Big Surprise") and the whole CAA teams up to start taking jabs at UNI. But I've told myself to get used to it for the next nine months. ;)

For the record, I never went on the UR board and I apologize on behalf of anyone that did and spewed garbage.

But seriously, this QB looks like a great pick up for UD. Keeler is good at bringing in these transfers.

State Line Liquors
December 22nd, 2008, 09:03 PM
Well I don't know where you were looking, but UNI only had 4 kids transfer from FBS schools. We have quite a few JUCO guys, but that isn't what was being talked about here.

So maybe go back and check your facts before you throw something crazy out like that.

JUCOs are transfers! What alternate reality are you living in?

Mountain Panther
December 22nd, 2008, 09:09 PM
So will Devlin start immediately?

Tribe4SF
December 22nd, 2008, 09:11 PM

Unless they bring in another transfer who beats him out.

UNIFanSince1983
December 22nd, 2008, 09:13 PM
Those aren't what was being talked about in this thread.

But if we are going with all transfers FBS or otherwise UNI had 19. And Delaware had 18. So yes one more transfer this year. Big frigging deal.

I have no problem with teams getting transfers. As I have stated before. Good luck to Delaware next year. Looks like you should have a great quarterback.

State Line Liquors
December 22nd, 2008, 09:15 PM

I think he has to. From this year, it seemed that we had so little experience/talent at the position, that he is immediately the front runner.

UNIFanSince1983
December 22nd, 2008, 09:19 PM
Serious question. Did Keeler put himself into a predicament here if Devlin struggles in camp? If one of the current players improves significantly and Devlin doesn't live up to his hype will he still have to start Devlin even if he isn't the best player at that position? (Not likely, but something to think about.)

appstate38
December 22nd, 2008, 09:22 PM
I am amazed at the amount of purest we have on AGS. Folks busting UD's chops for trying to improve the squad. But overlooking a team like the Griz who had a couple starting OL transfer from BCS schools. If you want transfers and you think they will help good for you. Funny thing is, it is usually the same type of people that get mad because they "felt" like their opponent ran the score up on them.

State Line Liquors
December 22nd, 2008, 09:26 PM
Those aren't what was being talked about in this thread.

But if we are going with all transfers FBS or otherwise UNI had 19. And Delaware had 18. So yes one more transfer this year. Big frigging deal.

I have no problem with teams getting transfers. As I have stated before. Good luck to Delaware next year. Looks like you should have a great quarterback.

That was my response point to the smarty poking fun at us for getting another (yes ANOTHER) transfer QB. And yes MP, there was a bit of egregious smack in there. xwhistlex

I would certainly prefer UD didn't have to go the transfer route, but it seems to be Keeler's M.O. to this point. An athlete like Devlin would almost certainly never have considered playing for us or any other 1AA program. The fact that he seems to have a good academic transcript and is a local guy is a nice plus.

UNIFanSince1983
December 22nd, 2008, 09:30 PM
That was my response point to the smarty poking fun at us for getting another (yes ANOTHER) transfer QB. And yes MP, there was a bit of egregious smack in there. xwhistlex

I would certainly prefer UD didn't have to go the transfer route, but it seems to be Keeler's M.O. to this point. An athlete like Devlin would almost certainly never have considered playing for us or any other 1AA program. The fact that he seems to have a good academic transcript and is a local guy is a nice plus.

Well I apologize then. I thought you were just taking another one of your underhanded jabs at my UNI Panthers.

Reign of Terrier
December 22nd, 2008, 09:31 PM
I am amazed at the amount of purest we have on AGS. Folks busting UD's chops for trying to improve the squad. But overlooking a team like the Griz who had a couple starting OL transfer from BCS schools. If you want transfers and you think they will help good for you. Funny thing is, it is usually the same type of people that get mad because they "felt" like their opponent ran the score up on them.

Chill out! I wasn't 100% serious when I posted that (I was playing around). When someone responded smacking Wofford, what am I supposed to do take it?

Bettina90
December 22nd, 2008, 09:37 PM
Serious question. Did Keeler put himself into a predicament here if Devlin struggles in camp? If one of the current players improves significantly and Devlin doesn't live up to his hype will he still have to start Devlin even if he isn't the best player at that position? (Not likely, but something to think about.)

There's room for another bookend tight end on the other side of Schoenhoft if Devlin struggles.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 22nd, 2008, 09:39 PM

Its not happening. Devlin will be a stud.

The proof is in the fact that PSU fans are really upset that Devlin is leaving. Ohio State fans really didn't care that Shoenhoft left.

State Line Liquors
December 22nd, 2008, 09:41 PM

Keeler will publicly say that everyone has an equal chance, but I don't think anyone could blame him for leaning towards Devlin from the get go. I would do the exact same thing.

He definitely doesn't have to start Devlin, but if this transfer turns out to be a bust too, Keeler might have to worry more about his job than whether or not one of the QBs feeling's are hurt. In the brief appearances I've seen from Devlin and the numerous 3 and outs from our current stable, I don't think he should have much difficulty. Depth could very well be an issue if something were to happen to PD though.

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 22nd, 2008, 09:44 PM
I don't have any problem with transfers.........I'm sure most schools have them. I don't know anything about Devlin except what you guys are posting.

Go Dukes

GannonFan
December 22nd, 2008, 09:44 PM
Great, and not unexpected news. Keeler missed on the transfer he brought in last year in Schoenhoft, but unlike that miss, Devlin is a proven product and comes with a much better pedigree. And he's a great student as well (interesting note, UD's transfers have been an incredible collection of quality students - heck, Shawn Johnson carried a 3.8 in a biology field from Duke and graduated in 3 years - plus he could play).

As for the comments in the thread, someone said UD had 18 FBS transfers this year - that's only incorrect by being too high by 6-7. Details I guess. And UD, even under Tubby, took plenty of transfers. Nothing wrong about doing it, and it's in the rules so no problem in doin it. Again, UD's crop of transfers have been great students and players - not the troubled castoffs that people unfairly think most transfers are. UD's offensive line when Flacco was here was far from dominant - it was better than it is today, but Flacco made that line look better than it was due to his mobility in the pocket and the fact that people couldn't bring him down easily.

This clearly makes UD better than it was - the lack of QB play last year easily could be held accountable for 3 losses, if not more. Put a competent QB back there next year and things should be a lot different, and Devlin is much more than just a competent QB.

State Line Liquors
December 22nd, 2008, 09:46 PM
Well I apologize then. I thought you were just taking another one of your underhanded jabs at my UNI Panthers.

No need to apologize. I haven't apologized for any of my underhanded jabs yet. :p

Bettina90
December 22nd, 2008, 09:46 PM

I think this sums up the debate/conversation and alludes to the fact that, in general, transfers are not IDEAL. Everyone would take them but would prefer to play with players that chose their school first and foremost.

I understand if a kid feels blocked or can't quite play at the school he committed to. By all means allow him a chance to play and hopefully the greater goal of a college degree is being looked after by him and any on campus advisors (except Flacco and his "FU" money (yes, I know he graduated, I am just using him as the rare example of a transfer that gets drafted very high)) but ideally I think most programs would rather win on "first choice" talent and that's hard to deny.

And of course that allows me to beat my chest (or lack thereof) briefly on this past season....xcoffeex

MacThor
December 22nd, 2008, 11:38 PM
So if Devlin makes the Hens' offense twice as good, does that mean they'll gain 106 total yards vs. UR next year? ;)

GATA
December 22nd, 2008, 11:40 PM

Maybe nobody else wanted them but Wofford. Did they have a choice between Penn State or Wofford?

UncleSam
December 23rd, 2008, 05:32 AM

A transfer is a transfer and since you are going to talk about transfers, JUCO guys are far more questionable then the FBS guys that UD has taken. The UD transfers have been top-notch students from great schools (Duke, Penn St, Pitt, Notre Dame, GT) as well as football players and a few already had their degrees before taking a 5th year at UD. Compare that to your JUCOs who are for the most part football players who had to go JUCO because they were questionable students. So don't get on your high horse about JUCOs, we all know what they are.

AppMan
December 23rd, 2008, 05:57 AM
There are reasons these guys transfer. Some are legit, some not. It's always a gamble. Very few have ever worked out at ASU. The can't miss D-lineman from LSU had zero heart or work ethic, but it appears VPI RB transfer Devin Radford is the exception and is going to work out. I don't blame any coach for using them to shore up their team, however I wouldn't want to depend on them to sustain my program.

93henfan
December 23rd, 2008, 07:30 AM
So if Devlin makes the Hens' offense twice as good, does that mean they'll gain 106 total yards vs. UR next year? ;)

-Obama elected President
-Richmond posters (all three of them) talking smack

It's a Brave, New World we're living in gentlemen.

ChickenMan
December 23rd, 2008, 07:56 AM
From today's Philly.com

Sources close to the Penn State and Delaware football programs have indicated that now-former Nittany Lions quarterback Pat Devlin has decided to continue his college career with the Blue Hens. Although Delaware coach K.C. Keeler has not scheduled a press conference to formally announce that Devlin will transfer to the Football Championship Subdivision school (formerly Division I-AA), the source indicated that it is university policy to withhold comment on a transfer player until the player officially enrolls. That could be as early as Jan. 5, should Devlin enroll in the winter session, or as late as Feb. 9, which marks the beginning of the spring semester at the Newark, Del., campus.

Devlin, a redshirt sophomore who set the Pennsylvania high school passing record of 8,162 yards while at Downingtown East, would be eligible to play next season as a junior. If he had opted to transfer to another Football Bowl Subdivision university (formerly Division I-A), he would have had to sit out the 2009 season

At Delaware, Devlin will join a team that has a history of sending quarterbacks to the NFL. Joe Flacco, who transferred to Delaware after a stint at Pittsburgh, is now the rookie starter for the Baltimore Ravens. The most notable UD quarterback to have gone on to play on Sundays is Rich Gannon, whose 17-year NFL career ended in 2004. Gannon was the NFL's Most Valuable Player in 2002, the same season he led the Oakland Raiders to Super Bowl XXXVII.

Other Delaware passers to have gone on to the NFL include Scott Brunner and Jeff Komlo. Andy Hall, who led the Blue Hens to the 2003 Division I-AA national championship, was drafted by the Eagles in the sixth round in 2004 but never appeared in a regular-season game.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/20081223_Sources__Devlin_to_transfer_to_Delaware.h tml

State Line Liquors
December 23rd, 2008, 08:04 AM

That would of course also require your defense to be as good as it was this year. I know ya'll have several young guys returning. But you wouldn't happen to be losing anyone valuable this offseason, like say a couple excellent DE's right?

Big Al
December 23rd, 2008, 08:22 AM
And to reference the UNI fans talking trash on your message board. It is sad. That is now the new breed of UNI fan. I don't like it as much as you do. They seem to become fans like the ones we so much despise that wear black and gold and are just down the road. So I apologize for those morons.

Yeah, it was pretty dumb that some fans "Delewere'd" the UR board. However, I do think I should point out that the reason nobody came back to that board after the game was because there was a mass banning of UNI posters. All in all, it was a pretty dumb little bit of dramatics.

ItsyBitsySpider
December 23rd, 2008, 09:30 AM
Devlin may be a stud, but Delaware is walking a slippery slope with the number of recent transfers. Getting a reputation as Transfer U (whether or not it helps you win in short run) will likely have an effect on high school seniors who will resent the thought of having the rug pulled out from under them at some point. Transfers go both ways. Can't argue with the talent though. Devlin looks like the real goods.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 23rd, 2008, 09:35 AM
-Obama elected President
-Richmond posters (all three of them) talking smack

It's a Brave, New World we're living in gentlemen.

Which one scares you more?

ChickenMan
December 23rd, 2008, 09:49 AM
Devlin may be a stud, but Delaware is walking a slippery slope with the number of recent transfers. Getting a reputation as Transfer U (whether or not it helps you win in short run) will likely have an effect on high school seniors who will resent the thought of having the rug pulled out from under them at some point. Transfers go both ways. Can't argue with the talent though. Devlin looks like the real goods.

Thanks for your concern.. but UD fans are far more worried about the horrendous QB play that we witnessed last year. That bleeding had to be stopped and Devlin is about as good a band-aid as you could ever hope to get.

mcveyrl
December 23rd, 2008, 09:50 AM

I'm sure that Keeler's well aware of what effect this might have on HS Seniors. But, you really can't argue with their results to date. Schoenhoft appears to be a bust, but what if he moves to TE and is the next Ben Patrick...I don't know that anybody expected Schoenhoft to be a giant killer his first year, so if Devlin has an immediate impact, they're pretty much on track.

I've said on here before, I've got no problem with a school taking transfers. Some of our best players have been transfers (Keaton, Rascati, Holloman, etc.). It's not like they're breaking some rule when they do it. There are risks involved, but there's risks involved with every recruit.

blueballs
December 23rd, 2008, 09:58 AM
Transfer or not, if I were a Hen fan I might be questioning this guy's heart a little bit.

A former PSU player who is a friend told me he committed to Miami but changed to PSU because of Jacory Harris, now he is not competing for the PSU job and is quitting to transfer to UD.

I wouldn't be questioning his talent or the fact that UD is taking a transfer, but I might be questioning what this player brings when the going gets tough or he has to compete for a position.

foghorn
December 23rd, 2008, 10:00 AM
Grizalltheway says:
Yeah, but the QBs who led us to national championships were homegrown boys.

Do you get a special trophy for that? Our NC O-line in '03 were all 'home grown'. Your O-line this year was what, 3 or 4 transfers? And you still couldn't win the big one. xbawlingx

ChickenMan
December 23rd, 2008, 10:04 AM
Transfer or not, if I were a Hen fan I might be questioning this guy's heart a little bit.

There are many many more questions relative to the Hen's current sad QB crop then there are relative to Pat Devlin's heart.

Ud1Hens
December 23rd, 2008, 10:04 AM

A former PSU player who is a friend told me he committed to Miami but changed to PSU because of Jacory Harris, now he is not competing for the PSU job and is quitting to transfer to UD.

I wouldn't be questioning his talent or the fact that UD is taking a transfer, but I might be questioning what this player brings when the going gets tough or he has to compete for a position.

Understand your point but:

-He won't be competing for a position...when he enrolls in Winter Session on Jan. 5th he'll be the starter

-Transferring isn't quitting.

-Did anyone question his heart when the going got tough @ Ohio State...When he was asked to play the entire 4th quarter on the road, trying to keep PSU's title hopes alive, while trailing to a top 10 team? Then stepped up and scored 10 points including his TD to win the game.

GannonFan
December 23rd, 2008, 11:30 AM

Come on, he backed out of the verbal to Miami after Larry Coker and all the coaches who recruited him got canned. Not shocking that a guy backs away from a school when there's a coaching change like that. And as for Penn St, remember, Devlin could've taken the easy way out last Spring and transferred then, and could've played 3 years at the FCS level (there was rampant speculation then that he could transfer). However, he decided to stick it out and really battle for the starting position and he almost won it before they went with Clark just before the season started. If anything, that speaks a lot to the kind of toughness the guy has.

And funny, I never remember anyone questioning the heart of guys like Hall and Riccio and Flacco when they transferred. Of course, they weren't as highly touted and as much in the limelight as Devlin was coming out of high school.

93henfan
December 23rd, 2008, 12:51 PM
Good points GF.

Devlin also met with Joe Paterno a couple weeks back to let him know he intended to transfer after the season and left it up to JoePa to decide if he should stick around for the Rose Bowl or leave the team immediately. Reading between the lines, Devlin was obviously covering his bases to ensure no animosity (or at least lessen it) and to get a read from JoePa that he would release him from his scholarship and not have to burn a year like Dave Wannstedt did to Joe Flacco in bitterness. Devlin could have simply gone to the press with his decision and blown off JoePa entirely, even sticking around for the Rose Bowl as a distraction. Instead he went about it the right way and will have two years to excel at Delaware with a full spring practice schedule and summer camp under his belt.

Can't wait for next season. I may even throw a Franklin or two into the UDAF.xnodx

Wolfman
December 23rd, 2008, 12:59 PM
I'll give you my thoughts on FCS schools signing IA transfers. In my mind, there are two separate scenerios, and I have absolutely no problem with one of these, but have big problems with the other one.

The first scenerio is when a IA kid transfers down to an FCS school to get more playing time. I think Devlin would be a good example of this type. I have no problem at all in my school, Montana, signing kids in this category.

The second category is when a IA kid is kicked off his team for various reasons, then transfers down. Perrilloux is an example of this situation. In this case, I have a BIG PROBLEM with my team, Montana, signing these kids. Unfortunately, our head coach does not agree, if it means winning football games. Hauck has signed, in the past few years, several players who had been kicked off their IA teams for criminal activities, breaking team rules, breaking NCAA rules, insubordination, etc. In several cases, these same troublemakers have engaged in criminal activity while at UM.

I have no use for recruiting other teams problems kids. They disrupt the fragile team chemistry of your team, and can be a negative influence on younger players on your roster. Montana experienced the latter when a young frosh redshirted player, who had never been in trouble in high school, became involved with a couple of thug IA drop-down players, and is now facing serious criminal charges, and has no football scholarship, because of it.

Football teams should NOT try to be re-hab centers. No IA team will go to the radical extent of removing a kid from their team if they think the kid is worth keeping. It is always a last resort situation. Why then, would a FCS coach want to take a chance on a kid like this? The benefit is not worth the risk. Bobby Hauck should figure this out.

Blue Hen 53
December 23rd, 2008, 02:26 PM
Transfers have been a part of college sports for over 30 years, I don't understand the preoccupation with UD's transfers. It sounds like sour grapes to me.

henfan
December 23rd, 2008, 02:29 PM
From rumors we were hearing back in the late summer, Devlin was giving consideration to transferring out prior to the start of the season. This isn't something that suddenly happened.

89Hen
December 23rd, 2008, 02:30 PM
How very nice for you. xrolleyesx

LacesOut
December 23rd, 2008, 02:37 PM
This had to be done. Due to the horrific suckiness of UD's QB situation last season, and it being the worst UD offense in the history of UD and maybe the worst UD team ever, it was a MUST to get a legit QB in there, and ASAP.

93henfan
December 23rd, 2008, 02:39 PM
This had to be done. Due to the horrific suckiness of UD's QB situation last season, and it being the worst UD offense in the history of UD and maybe the worst UD team ever, it was a MUST to get a legit QB in there, and ASAP.

That and the fact that I, and 11,000+ other UD season ticket holders, just received my latest UDAF solicitation and priority parking application in the mail today! xlolx

State Line Liquors
December 23rd, 2008, 02:47 PM
How very nice for you. xrolleyesx

Isn't it!

This coming year might be different though. My sources told me there are a ton of 1A transfers that have Woffy's phone ringing off the hook this off season. Apparently word is going around that learning to run the Wing Bone is now a requisite to play on Sundays. I'm surprised it's taken so many so long to figure out.

Anovafan
December 23rd, 2008, 06:07 PM
I'll give you my thoughts on FCS schools signing IA transfers. In my mind, there are two separate scenerios, and I have absolutely no problem with one of these, but have big problems with the other one.

The first scenerio is when a IA kid transfers down to an FCS school to get more playing time. I think Devlin would be a good example of this type. I have no problem at all in my school, Montana, signing kids in this category.

The second category is when a IA kid is kicked off his team for various reasons, then transfers down. Perrilloux is an example of this situation. In this case, I have a BIG PROBLEM with my team, Montana, signing these kids. Unfortunately, our head coach does not agree, if it means winning football games. Hauck has signed, in the past few years, several players who had been kicked off their IA teams for criminal activities, breaking team rules, breaking NCAA rules, insubordination, etc. In several cases, these same troublemakers have engaged in criminal activity while at UM.

I have no use for recruiting other teams problems kids. They disrupt the fragile team chemistry of your team, and can be a negative influence on younger players on your roster. Montana experienced the latter when a young frosh redshirted player, who had never been in trouble in high school, became involved with a couple of thug IA drop-down players, and is now facing serious criminal charges, and has no football scholarship, because of it.

Football teams should NOT try to be re-hab centers. No IA team will go to the radical extent of removing a kid from their team if they think the kid is worth keeping. It is always a last resort situation. Why then, would a FCS coach want to take a chance on a kid like this? The benefit is not worth the risk. Bobby Hauck should figure this out.

+1 to that..

Add to my list the 5th year transfer who graduates from a FBS school, plays one season at a FCS school, never goes to class, and drops out the second semester. That is just prostitution. Yes I am looking at you Shawn Johnson, and I ain't talking about the cute gymnast.

93henfan
December 23rd, 2008, 06:27 PM
http://www.toyzdollz.com/images/miniat60.jpg

Ivytalk
December 23rd, 2008, 07:08 PM
I hear Donovan McNabb wants to come in as a 5th year senior.xcoolx

paward
December 23rd, 2008, 07:13 PM
Now what happens to the other QB's on the roster? With this pick up you guys will have four or five on the roster, right? I am almost certain the young man that came last year is not very happy.

etiger
December 23rd, 2008, 07:24 PM
Transfers are all part of the game at the FCS level. Probably the greatest player ever to put on a uniform for Towson U, RB Tony Vinson, was a transfer from Purdue. Purdue changed coaches and wanted to make Tony a WR. He wanted to be a RB, so he came to Towson and ended up the leading rusher in the nation his Senior Year (over 2000 yards rushing).
We have had some very good transfers, and some busts. (Logon-El from Penn State was the biggest bust of all). I wish devlin would not have gone to UD, but only because UD is Towson's most hated rival. I am hoping that Towson can get a few transfers this year with the new coach (Hope it is Rob Ambrose of UCONN) as we need some help along the O-line and at LB.

State Line Liquors
December 23rd, 2008, 10:43 PM
Now what happens to the other QB's on the roster? With this pick up you guys will have four or five on the roster, right? I am almost certain the young man that came last year is not very happy.

Thoughtful of you to consider Rob's feelings. You guys have a couple tight ends graduating right? He could be a TE based upon his size, and prior discussions that occured at OSU.

henfan
December 24th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Thoughtful of you to consider Rob's feelings...He could be a TE based upon his size, and prior discussions that occured at OSU.

Of course Shoenhoft played TE in a couple of games at the end of the season. I'd imagine that's where his future lies as a Blue Hen. He's a great kid, a gamer, though he doesn't seem to have the ability to be effective as a D-I.

MplsBison
December 24th, 2008, 09:25 AM
I like transfers when it was a guy that we were recruiting anyway and he decided to try FBS, didn't like it, realized his mistake and came back to NDSU.

We usually get them in the end.

phillyAPP
December 24th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Great, and not unexpected news. Keeler missed on the transfer he brought in last year in Schoenhoft, but unlike that miss, Devlin is a proven product and comes with a much better pedigree. And he's a great student as well (interesting note, UD's transfers have been an incredible collection of quality students - heck, Shawn Johnson carried a 3.8 in a biology field from Duke and graduated in 3 years - plus he could play).

As for the comments in the thread, someone said UD had 18 FBS transfers this year - that's only incorrect by being too high by 6-7. Details I guess. And UD, even under Tubby, took plenty of transfers. Nothing wrong about doing it, and it's in the rules so no problem in doin it. Again, UD's crop of transfers have been great students and players - not the troubled castoffs that people unfairly think most transfers are. UD's offensive line when Flacco was here was far from dominant - it was better than it is today, but Flacco made that line look better than it was due to his mobility in the pocket and the fact that people couldn't bring him down easily.

This clearly makes UD better than it was - the lack of QB play last year easily could be held accountable for 3 losses, if not more. Put a competent QB back there next year and things should be a lot different, and Devlin is much more than just a competent QB.

Hey Gannonfan,

Merry Christmas !! But i have a question.

Does Delaware have a good OL to protect him? Recievers to catch the ball? and what about a running game?

Without them Devlin's ability wont mean much.

I think transfers are LEGAL and within the rules, SO congrats to the HENS !

ChickenMan
December 24th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Does Delaware have a good OL to protect him? Recievers to catch the ball? and what about a running game?

Without them Devlin's ability wont mean much.

I think transfers are LEGAL and within the rules, SO congrats to the HENS !

UD has question marks at the OL and RBs positions.. but the receivers should be fine. Also the defense should be very good again in '09. However.. all that will be manageable if UD gets good QB play next year. There were similar concerns relative to the OL and RBs this season.. but both positions played pretty well up until about the 5th game of the year when it became totally obvious to opponent's defenses that UD had NO passing threat of any consequence. From that point on the offense began to deteriorate in all areas. However if UD had gotten good QB play last year.. there is no doubt in my mind that with the outstanding defense the Hens played.. they would have reversed that 4-8 to an 8-4 season.

93henfan
December 24th, 2008, 10:07 AM
there is no doubt in my mind that with the outstanding defense the Hens played.. they would have reversed that 4-8 to an 8-4 season.

And the obligatory playoff victories over SIU and UNI.xlolx

LEHIGH61
December 24th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Watch out Mr. Devlin. I heard that Tom Brady wants to take graduate courses at Delaware and work his way back in shape by playing college football one more season before going back with the Patriots!

You might as well hire a professional TO MAKE THINGS RIGHT! What a joke , an immoral joke and an insult to college football.

Not much different than the Governor of Illinois

ChickenMan
December 24th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Watch out Mr. Devlin. I heard that Tom Brady wants to take graduate courses at Delaware and work his way back in shape by playing college football one more season before going back with the Patriots!

You might as well hire a professional TO MAKE THINGS RIGHT! What a joke , an immoral joke and an insult to college football.

xdizzyx

:p xlolx :p

93henfan
December 24th, 2008, 03:07 PM
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/Sour%20Grapes.jpg

SunCoastBlueHen
December 24th, 2008, 03:19 PM
..an immoral joke and an insult to college football.

Immoral?!?!? Good lord, was that the long lost eleventh commandment, "Thou shalt not accept transfers"? Pat Devlin is an honor student who wants to change his circumstances because he feels it is in his best interest to do so. Where is his sin in that? Where is Delaware's sin for bringing a true student / athlete into the program? There are lots of big rocks in Bethlehem, PA, go crawl back under one.

GoBlueHens83
December 25th, 2008, 07:08 AM

xbawlingx Cry me a river!xbawlingx

Monte Madness
December 25th, 2008, 09:58 AM
If I were a FBS kid who wanted to drop down, Delaware would be one of my choices, as well as Montana. These two teams will always playing for a national championship. Why would a FBS drop down want to play at some school which never gets in the playoffs?

Does App. State get any FBS kids? They never seem to, as it seems that they like to grow their own.

Tubby Raymond
December 25th, 2008, 12:03 PM
The OL is a HUGE problem. xoopsx

rob_p469
December 25th, 2008, 01:16 PM

Sour grapes... quit whining

YoUDeeMan
December 25th, 2008, 06:54 PM

Immoral?

What is immoral is some clown on a football message board judging and spreading rumors about a young man/young men who are following the rules and trying to make the best of themselves and their situation.

xnodx

I was recruited by Dartmouth and Georgetown. I know exactly how the Ivy and Patriot teams provide "scholarships" - oooops! - "aid" to students.

That is hypocrisy and a joke to college football! xnodx xlolx
If you don't understand it, you are a moron. If you don't admit it, you are a liar and an example of the immoral standards you imply you abhor.

So, which one is it…are you a moron or a liar? xeyebrowx

89Hen
December 25th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Guys, ignore LEHIGH61, he's a Hen hater from way back. The team could be full of dean's list students and he'd have something bad to say. xcoffeex

State Line Liquors
December 25th, 2008, 10:54 PM

Thanks for confirming that the beer and adult diapers are cheap up in Bethlehem.

That post smelled like meister brau and rotten eggs.

LEHIGH61
December 26th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Ignore Lehigh61? 89Hen had the audacity to actually find out my name and addressed me as such in the FCS Discussion room a few years ago. Isn't that cute!
Immoralitalty and prostitution is no problem for the Delaware folks, believe me!
I think that puts 89Hen in the "sick" category.

93henfan
December 26th, 2008, 03:17 PM
http://a975.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/119/l_49c49eb1bdfa65c77caac12e8a4f6f36.jpg

caribbeanhen
December 27th, 2008, 09:55 AM
The OL is a HUGE problem. xoopsx

kind of any oxymoron tubby

ChickenMan
December 28th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Ignore Lehigh61? 89Hen had the audacity to actually find out my name and addressed me as such in the FCS Discussion room a few years ago. Isn't that cute! Immoralitalty and prostitution is no problem for the Delaware folks, believe me!

Your asinine comments indicte that your are the one in need of treatment... :p

Tribe4SF
December 28th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Ignore Lehigh61? 89Hen had the audacity to actually find out my name and addressed me as such in the FCS Discussion room a few years ago. Isn't that cute!
Immoralitalty and prostitution is no problem for the Delaware folks, believe me!

He called you by your name?!?!xeekx How awful!

DFW HOYA
December 28th, 2008, 08:56 AM
I was recruited by Dartmouth and Georgetown. I know exactly how the Ivy and Patriot teams provide "scholarships" - oooops! - "aid" to students. That is hypocrisy and a joke to college football!

Explain, please. Very few students choose among Dartmouth and Georgetown, two schools with very different curricula and athletics.

WildPard
December 28th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Wait--I'm missing something. You were recruited by Dartmouth and Georgetown, but chose the renowned academic powerhouse of Delaware?? That makes perfect sense.

Tribe4SF
December 28th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Explain, please. Very few students choose among Dartmouth and Georgetown, two schools with very different curricula and athletics.

Not unusual for schools with varying profiles to recruit the same student-athlete. My final three were Dartmouth, Penn and W&M, but I was also recruited by Miami (FL), and Pitt. It was a long time ago, but my experience with the Ivys was similar to Cluck U's. My "package" at Dartmouth was to include a job, which by my best calculation would have paid me about $40/hour, an unheard of wage in 1966.

LEHIGH61
December 28th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Yes it was awful. Have you ever seen it before? Would you do that??? You don't get personal on a board like this. Enough said. Happy New Year HO HO HO

Ronbo
December 28th, 2008, 03:14 PM

Montana had three FBS transfers on the team in 2008. Two were seniors in 2008 and will be gone in 2009. The other is a junior and has been here since he was a redshirt freshman. He redshirted at Oregon.

How many East Coast teams can claim that few? I'll wager Delaware has 10-12 FBS transfers. UMass usually has 15-20.

State Line Liquors
December 28th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Wait--I'm missing something. You were recruited by Dartmouth and Georgetown, but chose the renowned academic powerhouse of Delaware?? That makes perfect sense.

Look up 'Myron Rolle' some time.

PantherRob82
December 28th, 2008, 05:03 PM

Yeah, why would anyone want to go somewhere with a good football team? xlolx

HoyaMetanoia
December 28th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Look up 'Myron Rolle' some time.

Myron Rolle has a 3.74 in exercise science at FSU. Not a shot at exercise science majors, because there are a lot of places where it's definitely a legit and difficult major, but, Rhodes Scholarship aside, that in and of itself isn't all that impressive. He got the Rhodes because of a lot of factors other than his academic accomplishments at FSU.

UNH 40
December 28th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Who was the last starting QB at UD that started there career there and earned the position rather than having it handed to them?

93henfan
December 28th, 2008, 09:04 PM

Delaware is a fine school academically, and am I missing something or did Lafayette suddenly get admitted to the Ivy League or some other elite status?

You seem bitter about Delaware for some reason. Is it because we've dominated you in football (17-7 since the first meeting in 1914) or is it the fact that Lafayette has never won a playoff game? I could see how both might eat at you.

WildPard
December 29th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Did I mention Lafayette any place in my post? Neither did I question UD's academics, but they cannot be compared to Dartmouth or Georgetown by any stretch of the imagination.

ChickenMan
December 29th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Montana had three FBS transfers on the team in 2008. Two were seniors in 2008 and will be gone in 2009. The other is a junior and has been here since he was a redshirt freshman. He redshirted at Oregon.

How many East Coast teams can claim that few? I'll wager Delaware has 10-12 FBS transfers. UMass usually has 15-20.

Why are you so defensive.. I was not taking a shot at Montana.. I was using them as an example of another FCS program that has had success with transfers.. There is nothing wrong with taking transfers as long as they are academically qualified and don't have behavior issues. It seems that on this board.. UD is always held up as the poster child for 'transfers'.. when in fact they are probably in the middle of the FCS pack relative to the numbers that they accept. I think UD currently has nine FCS transfers.. not an exorbitant number. In addition.. UD's transfers have all been academically qualified and have come with no baggage.. unlike some other FCS schools. So it seems to me that it's been the 'quality'.. rather than the quantity of the transfers that has riled so many posters and in turn led to the UD bashing.

Franks Tanks
December 29th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Delaware is a fine school academically, and am I missing something or did Lafayette suddenly get admitted to the Ivy League or some other elite status?

You seem bitter about Delaware for some reason. Is it because we've dominated you in football (17-7 since the first meeting in 1914) or is it the fact that Lafayette has never won a playoff game? I could see how both might eat at you.

If you put any stock in various rankings then yes Lafayette is in elite status?? Also what is your point??

93henfan
December 29th, 2008, 09:50 AM
If you put any stock in various rankings then yes Lafayette is in elite status?? Also what is your point??

I think we can both agree that Delaware and Lafayette are great schools academically.

I was responding to the asinine comments by WildPard in post #112. He decided to make a sarcastic remark about Delaware's academics and questioned a fellow Blue Hen's choice of Delaware to play football. That was a low blow and completely unnecessary, IMHO. Delaware's ability to attract players, both high school recruits and transfers that have already graduated from schools like Duke, speaks of the attractiveness of Delaware's academic reputation and football success to student athletes. xpeacex

Franks Tanks
December 29th, 2008, 10:08 AM
I think we can both agree that Delaware and Lafayette are great schools academically.

I was responding to the asinine comments by WildPard in post #112. He decided to make a sarcastic remark about Delaware's academics and questioned a fellow Blue Hen's choice of Delaware to play football. That was a low blow and completely unnecessary, IMHO. Delaware's ability to attract players, both high school recruits and transfers that have already graduated from schools like Duke, speaks of the attractiveness of Delaware's academic reputation and football success to student athletes. xpeacex

Thats fair. The rule that allows 5th years players to transfer is/was terrible but cant fault Delware for taking advantage of the rules in place. Lafayette and Delware are certainly very different schools. Lafayette is a private liberal arts school and Delaware is the states flagship university with about 10x the student body of Lafayette. Both schools are leaders in their given categories and should be proud of what they are.

State Line Liquors
December 29th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Myron Rolle has a 3.74 in exercise science at FSU. Not a shot at exercise science majors, because there are a lot of places where it's definitely a legit and difficult major, but, Rhodes Scholarship aside, that in and of itself isn't all that impressive. He got the Rhodes because of a lot of factors other than his academic accomplishments at FSU.

Article in SI (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/the_bonus/07/17/rolle/index.html)

Nothing difficult about being an excercise sciences major with a concentration in pre-med and a full time D1A athlete I suppose. My point in bringing up Rolle of course is that sometimes very gifted people choose a school other than the one with the best ranking by the Princeton Review, for various reasons.

WildPard was trying to knock UD as a poor academic choice for someone. Not the case. It's a public university.

This thread has gone completely off topic...

WildPard
December 29th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Sorry to ruffle your feathers. Never did I question Delaware's academics--just that they can't really be compared to Dartmouth and Georgetown. Football program wise--UD is head and shoulders above. Quick academic facts--UD average SAT 1200, Dartmouth and G'town over 1400. 1/2 of those who apply to UD get accepted compared to 1/8 at Dartmouth and 1/6 at G'town. UD does compare a little more favorably to Lafayette, but still lags about 100 pts behind in average SAT. Someone near and dear to my heart went thru the recruiting process last year and was recruited by these three schools at some point in the process--UD showed off their football success and facilities, but never once touted its academic strength in comparison to the other schools recruiting him.

93henfan
December 29th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Sorry to ruffle your feathers. Never did I question Delaware's academics--just that they can't really be compared to Dartmouth and Georgetown. Football program wise--UD is head and shoulders above. Quick academic facts--UD average SAT 1200, Dartmouth and G'town over 1400. 1/2 of those who apply to UD get accepted compared to 1/8 at Dartmouth and 1/6 at G'town. UD does compare a little more favorably to Lafayette, but still lags about 100 pts behind in average SAT. Someone near and dear to my heart went thru the recruiting process last year and was recruited by these three schools at some point in the process--UD showed off their football success and facilities, but never once touted its academic strength in comparison to the other schools recruiting him.

The only part I took exception to was you insulting Cluck U directly and Delaware offhandedly. Regarding Delaware, it's a public institution whose intent is to serve the educational needs of its state's citizens. In that regard, Delaware, while being selective in many regards, must also balance being inclusive of accepting in-state residents and cannot cherrypick like the private schools you name to boost test score average to make US News go "wow". If you took away the in-state acceptance and statistics and looked solely at the out-of-state numbers, you'd probably see something remarkably similar to Lafayette. All public schools are in the same boat, like Michigan State and VA Tech, which sandwich Delaware in the national university rankings. When you look at individual programs, like the Chemical Engineering program I was admitted to at Delaware, it blows away the program at Lafayette in terms of quality of student, resources, rankings, etc. We could sit here and take jabs all day and get into a game of collegiate snobbery, but I'll choose to beg out now. I'm willing to admit that Delaware and Lafayette are both great schools.

YoUDeeMan
December 29th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Not unusual for schools with varying profiles to recruit the same student-athlete. My final three were Dartmouth, Penn and W&M, but I was also recruited by Miami (FL), and Pitt. It was a long time ago, but my experience with the Ivys was similar to Cluck U's. My "package" at Dartmouth was to include a job, which by my best calculation would have paid me about $40/hour, an unheard of wage in 1966.

xnodx Dartmouth was very creative. Funny how the years change but the system doesn't.

BTW, I wasn't recruited for football. xpeacex

YoUDeeMan
December 29th, 2008, 08:03 PM

Ahhhh, you see you forgot to add in the old girlfriend, the new girlfriend, the jealous French teacher, the ski trip, the testosterone filled English teacher thinking about taking a swing, the new high school head master wanting to make a point around the trimester's final exam time, my father's high fives (and my mother's shock), the eventual capitulation of the headmaster on his decision, and the opportunity to explain that....uhmmmm...very odd set of circumstances to the folks at Notre Dame, Dartmouth, and Georgetown. :D

Hey, but I eventually got to spend mornings running up the steps of Delaware stadium. xthumbsupx

No regrets. Life's been good. xnodx

LehighFan11
December 29th, 2008, 09:07 PM
I'm not sure why people are getting upset over Devlin transferring to Delaware. We all know what is happening here. I have no idea what kind of student or person Pat Devlin is, but since he was such a highly recruited player out of high school, his goal is most likely to get to the NFL. He is transferring to Delaware so he can play 2 years at QB rather than 1 at PSU. I highly doubt he is worried about his academic interests with this transfer. That is not to say Delaware is any less of a school than Penn State, because they are very comparable. However, anyone who transfers for playing time on the field probably doesn't care too much about the classroom. Both parties (Devlin and Delaware) will benefit greatly from their 2 year marriage.

GannonFan
December 29th, 2008, 09:49 PM
However, anyone who transfers for playing time on the field probably doesn't care too much about the classroom.

Of course, that could entirely be just your opinion and could have no basis in fact whatsoever. I mean, we all know it's impossible for a student-athlete to want to get an education and play.

93henfan
December 30th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Bingo.

I'm not sure why people are getting upset over Devlin transferring to Delaware. We all know what is happening here. I have no idea what kind of student or person Pat Devlin is, but since he was such a highly recruited player out of high school, his goal is most likely to get to the NFL. He is transferring to Delaware so he can play 2 years at QB rather than 1 at PSU. I highly doubt he is worried about his academic interests with this transfer. That is not to say Delaware is any less of a school than Penn State, because they are very comparable. However, anyone who transfers for playing time on the field probably doesn't care too much about the classroom. Both parties (Devlin and Delaware) will benefit greatly from their 2 year marriage.

elon77
December 30th, 2008, 01:05 PM

I believe Elon has three, one from Presbyterian, one from Rutgers, and one from Va. Tech. Maybe one from Norfolk State, and I think that's all. I would bet there aren't many schools who can top that.xsmhx

GannonFan
December 30th, 2008, 01:14 PM

Why do western posters always forget to add JUCO's into the number of transfers? A transfer is a transfer, no matter where they come from, whether it be FBS, another FCS school, or JUCO - they played and used eligibility elsewhere before coming to their current school.

UD had a linebacker two years ago (guys name was Laws) who transferred from Penn (Ivy League) to UD and played football after sitting out a year for an FCS-to-FCS transfer - of course, the guy also came to UD because it had a much better Physical Therapy school and a better grad school for that as well, but he still counted in the transfer tally.

Rekdiver
December 30th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Transfers don't guarantee guarantee championships....just ask JAX State.
And transfers don't guaranteed playing time. ASU had three, 1 from LSU (sent him home), one from Vandy, (finally got some playing time) and a receiver from Colorado, (never saw the field). Transfers don't bother me at all. Thank God they can or Flacco wouldnt' be playing at Baltimore and I've thoroughly enjoyed watching him play there. Chemistry only gets upset when the coach doesn't have control of his program.......just ask Wade Phillips!!!!!

EmeryZach
December 30th, 2008, 01:36 PM
I'm excited to see him play. I like it when big names transfer to the best subdivision.

Ronbo
December 30th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Why do western posters always forget to add JUCO's into the number of transfers? A transfer is a transfer, no matter where they come from, whether it be FBS, another FCS school, or JUCO - they played and used eligibility elsewhere before coming to their current school.

UD had a linebacker two years ago (guys name was Laws) who transferred from Penn (Ivy League) to UD and played football after sitting out a year for an FCS-to-FCS transfer - of course, the guy also came to UD because it had a much better Physical Therapy school and a better grad school for that as well, but he still counted in the transfer tally.

JUCOS moving on up is natural.

They go to Junior College and play for one or two years because they didn't get noticed in HS, then they move on. It's the way it's supposed to work. A guy moving because he got in trouble, got bad grades, or is disgruntled is not natural.

Montana has two JC's. So for 2009 we'll have 2 JC's and 1 FBS transfer. Now Hauck might bring in some more because both JC guys played really well in 2008.

SunCoastBlueHen
December 30th, 2008, 03:55 PM
JUCOS moving on up is natural.

They go to Junior College and play for one or two years because they didn't get noticed in HS, then they move on. It's the way it's supposed to work. A guy moving because he got in trouble, got bad grades, or is disgruntled is not natural.

Montana has two JC's. So for 2009 we'll have 2 JC's and 1 FBS transfer. Now Hauck might bring in some more because both JC guys played really well in 2008.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't many athletes go the JUCO route because of academic issues? I believe many times it is a path around the rules so that an athlete can gain admittance and play at an NCAA institution.

89Hen
December 30th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Especially since I didn't. xconfusedx xsmhx xnutsx

Ronbo
December 30th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't many athletes go the JUCO route because of academic issues? I believe many times it is a path around the rules so that an athlete can gain admittance and play at an NCAA institution.

Some. But most go because they can't afford tuition becuse they weren't offered a schollie. In California the JC's are very inexpensive and affordable to attend. I'm pretty sure it's that way everywhere.

madisonfan87
December 30th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Flacco or Schoenhoft? That is THE question.

93henfan
December 30th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Flacco or Schoenhoft? That is THE question.

I'm going to go waaaaaaaaaaay out on a limb here and say somewhere in the middle of those two.

R3TRO
December 31st, 2008, 05:44 PM
I'm excited to see him play. I like it when big names transfer to the best subdivision.

I'm with you. It raises the level of competition and eventually makes everyone else in the conference a little better. xthumbsupx

93henfan
January 5th, 2009, 03:21 PM
http://www.delawareonline.com/blogs/collegesports.html

Monday, January 05, 2009

There's a new quarterback in town for Blue Hens | 3:16 PM

By KEVIN TRESOLINI

No official announcement has been made by the University of Delaware, because apparently Pat Devlin has not, for the moment anyway, registered for Winter Session classes -- the five-week, between-semesters term began today.

But the former Penn State starter-in-waiting did attend Delaware's football team meeting Sunday night at the Carpenter Center, which means the waiting is over for famished fans of the Blue Hens. Delaware has vastly improved its most important position.

The highly regarded Downingtown East High product has touched down at UD. Devlin, 6-foot-4 and 222 pounds, will have two seasons, beginning this fall, to demonstrate the skills that allowed him to throw for a Pennsylvania high school record 8,162 yards.

GannonFan
January 5th, 2009, 03:35 PM
With the defense coming back next year, this is the biggest issue that had to be fixed, and it has with this kid coming in. 2009 should be a fun year! xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

Blue Hen 53
January 6th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Any Devlin sitings at UD??

Blue Hen 53
January 6th, 2009, 05:28 PM
i mean sightings

UDBlueLotFan
January 6th, 2009, 06:39 PM
...heard he requested to see "The Wall" xsmiley_wix xlolx

89Hen
January 7th, 2009, 08:23 AM
...heard he requested to see "The Wall" xsmiley_wix xlolx
Heard Flacco is giving part of his $3M bonus to have the wall named in his honor. :p

LEHIGH61
January 7th, 2009, 11:24 AM
HE DID (89 HEN). bring my last name out in the open! I notified AnyGiven Saturday and they gave him the proper reprimand. You don't expect him to tell the truth, do you?

bluehenbillk
January 7th, 2009, 11:45 AM
HE DID (89 HEN). bring my last name out in the open! I notified AnyGiven Saturday and they gave him the proper reprimand. You don't expect him to tell the truth, do you?

Who gives a flying &%#@ ?

putter
January 7th, 2009, 11:53 AM
I don't think it is a big deal. The bigger deal should be the lack of developing QB's from Keeler's staff. Montana took a drop down with Swogger for one year while keeping Bergquist on the bench. Yes, Swogger had a cannon for an arm but really was an shot in the dark. Montana has had it's biggest success at QB (NC) with kids who were recruited to and stayed at UM for their college careers (would have loved to have a healthy Ochs).

bluehenbillk
January 7th, 2009, 12:02 PM
We agree & Keeler went public after the season & said he hasn't done a good job of developing QB's from the HS ranks. UD already has one HS QB verbally committed and should get at least one more.

GannonFan
January 7th, 2009, 01:27 PM

Crazy Lehigh fans. xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx :p

GannonFan
January 7th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I don't think it is a big deal. The bigger deal should be the lack of developing QB's from Keeler's staff. Montana took a drop down with Swogger for one year while keeping Bergquist on the bench. Yes, Swogger had a cannon for an arm but really was an shot in the dark. Montana has had it's biggest success at QB (NC) with kids who were recruited to and stayed at UM for their college careers (would have loved to have a healthy Ochs).

The big deal is that UD should have a QB now for the next two years. Seeing how at least 3-4 losses this year were directly attributable to not having a QB, that's a pretty good fix right there.

Of course Keeler's not done a good job recruiting and developing QB's out of high school, and now he's bought himself a two year reprieve to see if he can solve that flaw. We'll know sometime in 2011 if he's corrected that very obvious problem.

Blue Hen 53
January 7th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Does Lehigh still have a football team?

LEHIGH61
January 7th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Somebody must care or they wouldn't deny their own transgression. It's over and done, and I don't give a chicken**** any more. In case you missed it, CHICKEN ****!!!!!!!!!

EmeryZach
January 7th, 2009, 06:25 PM
You guys better be careful before you get banned.

GannonFan
January 8th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Here's the article in today's paper about Devlin:

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20090108/SPORTS07/901080363/1002/SPORTS&referrer=NEWSFRONTCAROUSEL

Not officially enrolled yet or signed loan papers, but he's on campus attending meetings. UD's got a voluntary, 6-week Winter Session before the Spring Semester starts in the middle of February (later than most schools). Look for him to enroll then.

89Hen
January 8th, 2009, 12:14 PM
UD's got a voluntary, 6-week Winter Session before the Spring Semester starts in the middle of February (later than most schools).
Not to sidetrack this too much, but Winter Session was the absolute best "semester" at UD. Half the student population = no lines at dining halls, less crowded bars... xthumbsupx Plus is was a relative bargain as I think you could take up to 7 credits for the price of 4.

blukeys
January 8th, 2009, 12:54 PM

After reading this thread and the inane comments by the nameless one, I can appreciate why he doesn't want anyone to know his real name. ;) xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix

blukeys
January 8th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Not to sidetrack this too much, but Winter Session was the absolute best "semester" at UD. Half the student population = no lines at dining halls, less crowded bars... xthumbsupx Plus is was a relative bargain as I think you could take up to 7 credits for the price of 4.

You also got to be in some specialized classes with more interaction with the profs. It was definitely a good deal.

GannonFan
January 8th, 2009, 02:46 PM

I don't remember the financial advantage, but yes, it was a glorious time. I took 7 credits one year, two history courses and then racquetball. Only gym course I could take my whole time there and it was awesome. xthumbsupx

89Hen
January 8th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Only gym course I could take my whole time there and it was awesome. xthumbsupx
I took two. Ice skating... my roommate, me and 20 women, plus I have been skating since I was 2. And golf, I have been playing golf since I was 9. :p

GannonFan
January 8th, 2009, 02:51 PM
I took two. Ice skating... my roommate, me and 20 women, plus I have been skating since I was 2. And golf, I have been playing golf since I was 9. :p

I had never played racquetball before then (and not much since college) but I remember getting to play Larry McSeed from the football team (he was only a soph I think then) and routing him. I didn't try challenging him on the field, though, just sticking to the courts. xnodx

THE HERD
January 8th, 2009, 04:29 PM
I don't see what the big deal is with getting FBS transfers......if you can get them more power to you. Although it doesn't always guarantee success.

GannonFan
January 8th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I don't see what the big deal is with getting FBS transfers......if you can get them more power to you. Although it doesn't always guarantee success.

Doesn't matter to me where they come from, once they're here they are all Hens to me. As for Devlin, trust me, compared to the guys we had taking snaps last year, this definitely does guarantee more success than last year. xthumbsupx

Rob Iola
January 8th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I had never played racquetball before then (and not much since college) but I remember getting to play Larry McSeed from the football team (he was only a soph I think then) and routing him. I didn't try challenging him on the field, though, just sticking to the courts. xnodx
Ah Winter Session - took the best course ever offered at the University. "Football Theory: The Delaware Wing-T", taught by Professor Ted Kempski ably assisted by Professor Tom Coder and a number of other pigskin experts. 3 credits hard earned by myself, 2 other schlubs, and the entire 1985 Blue Hen defense (hmm, wonder what they got grade-wise). 3 hours a night of film study, punctuated by dirty jokes, spitting tobacco-laced saliva into Coke cans, and farts. Final paper consisted of a playbook, which Coach, er, Professor Kempski couldn't return to me because it was too damn close to their actual playbook (actually he had mailed it to a high school coach who had asked him for a Wing-T playbook)...

Blue Hen 53
January 12th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Can't wait to see Devlin on the practice field!

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20090108/SPORTS07/901080363/1028