18. Colgate 402
19. Liberty 399
20. Elon 375
21. Texas St. 319
22. McNeese St. 226
23. Jacksonville St. 192
24. South Dakota St. 183
25. Furman 89
Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Tennessee-Martin (28), Grambling St. (22), Massachusetts (21), Albany (17), Prairie View A&M (11), Western Illinois (9), Holy Cross (7), Brown (5), Florida A&M (5)

Significant Wins and Losses not listed this week.

Revised for the tie

Grizalltheway
December 22nd, 2008, 12:04 PM
Glad to see Richmond got all the first place votes. xthumbsupx

Reign of Terrier
December 22nd, 2008, 12:06 PM
Wofford should be higher.

bostonspider
December 22nd, 2008, 12:11 PM
Funny Maine finished ranked above W&M, Elon and Liberty, when most posters felt that at least W&M deserved to be in the playoffs above them.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 22nd, 2008, 12:13 PM
Texas State at No. 21? They gave Montana a good game in the playoffs, while Colgate got drilled by Villanova and they're at No. 18?

Native
December 22nd, 2008, 12:14 PM

xviolinx If you think Wofford should be higher than any of the teams above them in the polls, make the case against which team(s) you would displace. xeyebrowx

Reign of Terrier
December 22nd, 2008, 12:23 PM
xviolinx If you think Wofford should be higher than any of the teams above them in the polls, make the case against which team(s) you would displace. xeyebrowx

I think Wofford is better than Cal Poly and should be at least tied with NH. I also think regardless of how good ASU was supposed to be with Armanti healthy they are a little high too, they got beat by 20--on a side note if Pressley was as good as ASU fans said they should have put him in instead of Armanti possibly making the game closer.

ViennaSpider
December 22nd, 2008, 12:32 PM
Funny Maine finished ranked above W&M, Elon and Liberty, when most posters felt that at least W&M deserved to be in the playoffs above them.

IMO, if the Tribe had gotten a bid, they'd probably have made a lot of noise in the playoffs.

The Moody1
December 22nd, 2008, 12:34 PM
I also think regardless of how good ASU was supposed to be with Armanti healthy they are a little high too, they got beat by 20--

If ASU is ranked too high then the pups are way too high. They got beat by 46, by the over-rated Apps.

The Moody1
December 22nd, 2008, 12:36 PM
I also think regardless of how good ASU was supposed to be with Armanti healthy they are a little high too, they got beat by 20--

If ASU is ranked too high then the pups are way too high. They got beat by 46, by the over-rated Apps.xrotatehx

Reign of Terrier
December 22nd, 2008, 12:36 PM
If ASU is ranked too high then the pups are way too high. They got beat by 46, by the over-rated Apps.

I'm just saying they are a smidge to high- not fifth. I would put Nova at fifth, had App played the way they did against "The puppies" they would have won the whole thing. They were too inconsistent. Wofford isn't too high at all, outside of the App game we were more consistent and played overall better than App.

The Moody1
December 22nd, 2008, 12:38 PM
I'm just saying they are a smidge to high- not fifth.

I am looking at 6 and beyond and I don't see anyone that has a case that they were slighted.

WrenFGun
December 22nd, 2008, 12:42 PM
Didn't vote, but I think that the top 8 are correct, as those were the eight quarterfinalists. While it's unfair to Wofford and Cal Poly, who played two good teams, they could not beat those teams. I would have Wofford above CP because Wofford lost on the road, while CP lost at home. I'd also have UNH above Weber State, given their competitive effort against UNI, which was closer than Weber against Montana. I don't believe UNI should be above JMU. While Maine made the playoffs, after their first round effort, I'd likely put Liberty and W&M above them. Texas State should be above Colgate, IMO.

Reign of Terrier
December 22nd, 2008, 12:43 PM
I am looking at 6 and beyond and I don't see anyone that has a case that they were slighted.

I'd say Villanova is better.

SideLine Shooter
December 22nd, 2008, 12:43 PM
I can live with that.xthumbsupx

jaxstatealum
December 22nd, 2008, 12:48 PM
I can live with JSU finishing in the top 25 as well xthumbsupx

Rob Iola
December 22nd, 2008, 01:15 PM
Only 56 votes? People not voting due to the holidays? Cuz their team bowed out early? Lack of interest?

Whatever the reason, for this poll to maintain relevance/stature it needs to have a consist voter base - 56 seems pretty light...

Big Al
December 22nd, 2008, 01:17 PM
I don't believe UNI should be above JMU.

I think they got UNI about right -- they lost to UR by one point with 14 seconds left, whereas Montana pretty much handled JMU.

That said, like someone mentioned in another thread probably the top 10 teams all had a legitimate shot at taking it all.

andy7171
December 22nd, 2008, 01:18 PM
Only 56 votes? People not voting due to the holidays? Cuz their team bowed out early? Lack of interest?

Whatever the reason, for this poll to maintain relevance/stature it needs to have a consist voter base - 56 seems pretty light...

While I agree that 56 is half of the normal vote tally, the rankings for the FCS is a fore gone conclusion. We only care about who is #1, and Richmond did it on the field.

Rob Iola
December 22nd, 2008, 01:20 PM
While I agree that 56 is half of the normal vote tally, the rankings for the FCS is a fore gone conclusion. We only care about who is #1, and Richmond did it on the field.
Amen to that brother (and cute kidz too - but they'd look much better in purple, with mebbe a number 5 on each jersey) - but there are SomE around here who like to talk up the poll...

ngineer
December 22nd, 2008, 09:54 PM
Can't strongly argue against this result; though, I had UNI at #2. IMO, they showed to be a stronger team than Montana. But, as pointed out by others, any one of the top 10 were capable of winning it all, on any given Saturday.

UNIFanSince1983
December 22nd, 2008, 10:03 PM
I personally was surprised that UNI was higher than JMU. I don't think I could see UNI being #2 because they didn't make it to the championship. We were more competitive vs Richmond, but we were at home. I think Montana deserved to be #2 because of going to Bridgeforth and coming away with a vicotry something no other FCS could do this year.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 22nd, 2008, 10:07 PM

I agree with you. Wofford had one bad game. Unfortunately it was on National television.

I would have voted:

1- Richmond
2- Montana
3- JMU
4- UNI
5- Villanova
6- App State
7- Wofford
8- Weber
9- UNH
10- Cal Poly

Reign of Terrier
December 22nd, 2008, 10:15 PM
I agree with you. Wofford had one bad game. Unfortunately it was on National television.

I would have voted:

1- Richmond
2- Montana
3- JMU
4- UNI
5- Villanova
6- App State
7- Wofford
8- Weber
9- UNH
10- Cal Poly

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx You get reppies for that one

appfan2008
December 23rd, 2008, 09:14 AM
App st is right where they should be at number 5...

danefan
December 23rd, 2008, 09:21 AM
Harvard at 15 and Colgate at 18 are both way too high.

mainejeff
December 23rd, 2008, 01:24 PM
IMO, if the Tribe had gotten a bid, they'd probably have made a lot of noise in the playoffs.

Yeah.....their defense was incredible.......xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Tribe4SF
December 23rd, 2008, 02:05 PM
Yeah.....their defense was incredible.......xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

End of year stats.

Total Defense- Maine 323.6 W&M 326.8
Scoring Defense- Maine 22.8 W&M 24.0

Total Offense- Maine 326.4 W&M 397.5
Scoring Offense- Maine 24.5 W&M 32.8

Take out the Iona game and Maine's stats are...

Total Defense- 339.7
Scoring Defense- 24.1

Total Offense- 310.6
Scoring Offense- 21.9

How'd the two defenses fair against the National Champion Spiders?

Total Defense- Maine 434 W&M 236
Scoring Defense- Maine 44 W&M 23

And you've got the nerve to roll your eyes?

BDKJMU
December 24th, 2008, 06:16 AM
I think they got UNI about right -- they lost to UR by one point with 14 seconds left, whereas Montana pretty much handled JMU.

That said, like someone mentioned in another thread probably the top 10 teams all had a legitimate shot at taking it all.

Again, Montana winning by a TD over JMU while being outgained by over 100 yards and nearly doubled in 1st downs isn't "pretty much handling".

Comparing JMU to UNI. Only common opponent: UR. JMU beat UR at UR. UNI lost to UR at home.

JMU also beat in addition to #1 UR, beat #5 ASU, and #6 Nova twice. Thats 4 victories over top 6 vs zero for UNI.

No way should UNI be ahead of JMU. Anybody who voted them there obviously didn't pay any attention to what happened during the 1st 15 weeks of the season and only paid attention to what happened in the last 2.

th0m
December 24th, 2008, 07:14 AM
JMU should be #3 but it's not like it matters all that much. The other polls have us at #3, it makes perfect sense that JMU would be polled lower on AGS.

BDKJMU
December 24th, 2008, 07:58 AM
JMU should be #3 but it's not like it matters all that much. The other polls have us at #3, it makes perfect sense that JMU would be polled lower on AGS.

Yeah, since most non JMU people on AGS love JMU so much..xlolx

mainejeff
December 24th, 2008, 12:46 PM
End of year stats.

Total Defense- Maine 323.6 W&M 326.8
Scoring Defense- Maine 22.8 W&M 24.0

Total Offense- Maine 326.4 W&M 397.5
Scoring Offense- Maine 24.5 W&M 32.8

Take out the Iona game and Maine's stats are...

Total Defense- 339.7
Scoring Defense- 24.1

Total Offense- 310.6
Scoring Offense- 21.9

How'd the two defenses fair against the National Champion Spiders?

Total Defense- Maine 434 W&M 236
Scoring Defense- Maine 44 W&M 23

And you've got the nerve to roll your eyes?

Why didn't you take out Iowa instead of Iona? xrolleyesx

Why didn't you throw out Norfolk State for the Tribe's stats??? xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Bite me.

xcoffeex

ngineer
December 24th, 2008, 01:25 PM
All much ado about nothing. This is turning into a 'Seinfeld' thread. All that matters is who won the National Championship "on the field". Other than that, tis nothing more than the prideful chest thumping we see with the BCS people....xrotatehx

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 24th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I might respond after spring ball and some newspaper articles from around a few places. xreadx

JayJ79
December 24th, 2008, 01:39 PM

A post-playoff poll in the FCS is fairly meaningless.

Almost as meaningless as the preseason and early season polls.

TribeNomad
December 24th, 2008, 03:44 PM
I love MaineJeff...........a great wit......

crunifan
December 24th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Again, Montana winning by a TD over JMU while being outgained by over 100 yards and nearly doubled in 1st downs isn't "pretty much handling".

Comparing JMU to UNI. Only common opponent: UR. JMU beat UR at UR. UNI lost to UR at home.

JMU also beat in addition to #1 UR, beat #5 ASU, and #6 Nova twice. Thats 4 victories over top 6 vs zero for UNI.

No way should UNI be ahead of JMU. Anybody who voted them there obviously didn't pay any attention to what happened during the 1st 15 weeks of the season and only paid attention to what happened in the last 2.

The first 15 weeks don't matter. We are trying to find out who is the best team NOW. It's obvious that UNI and JMU are comparable, we both made it to the semifinals. But you got beat soundly (not badly, it just wasn't super close), whereas UNI basically completely self-destructed in the end to lose by one. We played the national champion better than you played the runner up. Placing UNI ahead of JMU makes sense. I'm not sure I agree with it, but you can't say there is NO WAY UNI should be ahead of JMU.

Tribe4SF
December 24th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Why didn't you take out Iowa instead of Iona? xrolleyesx

Why didn't you throw out Norfolk State for the Tribe's stats??? xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Bite me.

xcoffeex

Each team played a BCS opponent. Iona was clearly like playing a Div. III team. All you really have to do is look at the stats, even with Iona included, to see that the defenses were comparable. But then that wouldn't matter to you, as your opinions are rarely based on anything meaningful.

BDKJMU
December 25th, 2008, 09:38 AM
The first 15 weeks don't matter. We are trying to find out who is the best team NOW. It's obvious that UNI and JMU are comparable, we both made it to the semifinals. But you got beat soundly (not badly, it just wasn't super close), whereas UNI basically completely self-destructed in the end to lose by one. We played the national champion better than you played the runner up. Placing UNI ahead of JMU makes sense. I'm not sure I agree with it, but you can't say there is NO WAY UNI should be ahead of JMU.

Losing by 8 points while outgaining the other team by over 100, nearly doubling in 1st downs, with the ball with less than 2 min with a chance to tie at the end isn't being "beat soundly" but is losing a close game by any reasonable person's definition. "Beating soundly" is winning by several TDs, not by a TD with a chance to win at the end.

You must be one of those fans who says everytime UNI beats a team by a TD, "Yep, we beat them soundly".

JayJ79
December 25th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Losing by 8 points while outgaining the other team by over 100, nearly doubling in 1st downs, with the ball with less than 2 min with a chance to tie at the end isn't being "beat soundly" but is losing a close game by any reasonable person's definition. "Beating soundly" is winning by several TDs, not by a TD with a chance to win at the end.

You must be one of those fans who says everytime UNI beats a team by a TD, "Yep, we beat them soundly".

I don't consider an 8-point difference to be a "sound beating".
But I don't consider it to be a "close loss" either. It's somewhere in-between. Being behind by 8 points, not only do you have to score a TD, but you also have to convert on the 2-pts. And even then it is only tied

D1B
December 25th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Northern Iowa should be #2. Montana = paper tiger

Grizalltheway
December 25th, 2008, 12:39 PM

That's more fair than ranking JMU ahead of Montana, but I still disagree. UNI let Richmond off the hook at home, but I think if we had played them at home instead of a neutral site, the result may have been different.

Grizalltheway
December 25th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Oh, and you don't get to the chipper by being a 'paper tiger', period. This isn't the BCS. xrulesx

Chi Panther
December 25th, 2008, 12:44 PM
UNI lost to 2 FCS teams this year by a combined 4 points.

We lost to Richmond by 1 point with 14 seconds left.

We lost to SIU by 3 with a FG with 1 second left on the clock.

Our margin of failure is frustrating....xbawlingx

Tailbone
December 25th, 2008, 02:39 PM

Surely, you jest.
If UNI had done their part and beaten UR, UM would have their third trophy.
Even if playing "flat", the Griz would have "handled" the Panthers.
Griz were (b)eating cats and dogs (panthers are cats). ;)

.......and UNI is coached by Mark "can't win the big one" Farley.

j/k

Mountain Panther
December 25th, 2008, 07:24 PM
UNI lost to 2 FCS teams this year by a combined 4 points.

We lost to Richmond by 1 point with 14 seconds left.

We lost to SIU by 3 with a FG with 1 second left on the clock.

Our margin of failure is frustrating....xbawlingx

Hey at least we gained the respect of BYU fans. xrolleyesx