PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on TV-timeouts and momentum killers

Georgia Griz
December 22nd, 2008, 11:34 AM
Was anyone that was sitting in the bleachers with me surprised to see a TV-timeout called when the Griz approached the goal line on their first posession of the game?xconfusedx They were moving the ball pretty well at that point (thanks in part to Mariani's highlight reel catch). Did I miss something? Did the Griz or Spiders call a timeout right there? Just wondering. Seemed like bad timing for a TV-timeout.

Cobblestone
December 22nd, 2008, 11:53 AM
Was anyone that was sitting in the bleachers with me surprised to see a TV-timeout called when the Griz approached the goal line on their first posession of the game?xconfusedx They were moving the ball pretty well at that point (thanks in part to Mariani's highlight reel catch). Did I miss something? Did the Griz or Spiders call a timeout right there? Just wondering. Seemed like bad timing for a TV-timeout.

Is there ever a good time for a TV timeout? THEY SUCK!

Georgia Griz
December 22nd, 2008, 11:56 AM
Is there ever a good time for a TV timeout? THEY SUCK!

It's something that MLB never has to deal with. Lucky them.

Big Al
December 22nd, 2008, 11:57 AM
It's something that MLB never has to deal with. Lucky them.

That's because baseball is a 4 hour timeout.

Georgia Griz
December 22nd, 2008, 01:09 PM
That's because baseball is a 4 hour timeout.

xlolx xnodx xlolx :D xlolx

Georgia Griz
December 22nd, 2008, 01:14 PM
Seriously, though. Am I the only one who noticed this small detail during the bludgeoing? Just want to make sure that my friends and I aren't crazy.xrotatehx

JMU Newbill
December 22nd, 2008, 01:51 PM
Really? We are talking about tv timeouts?

And I thought JMU fans were supposed to be the ones that complained about everything.....

Libertine
December 22nd, 2008, 02:00 PM
I hate TV timeouts. We had 9 games televised this year and I would say that there are fewer things more annoying than watching both teams standing around at the line of scrimmage waiting for the guy in the red hat to get off the field.

mcveyrl
December 22nd, 2008, 02:06 PM

Just looking at the play-by-play it doesn't look like there's any reason to have a TV timeout. I thought they could only have them for changes in possession or for timeouts.

If there wasn't one of those, I think that you've got a legitimate beef that there was a screw up.

insideout08
December 22nd, 2008, 02:07 PM

As I recall, they were reviewing the spot of the ball. After they review, they moved the ball back two yards forcing a 2nd and 1 at the eight instead of 1st and goal at the 6.

Play by play: http://richmondspiders.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2008-2009/fcsnc.html#GAME.PLY

mcveyrl
December 22nd, 2008, 02:08 PM
As I recall, they were reviewing the spot of the ball. After they review, they moved the ball back two yards forcing a 2nd and 1 at the eight instead of 1st and goal at the 6.

Play by play: http://richmondspiders.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2008-2009/fcsnc.html#GAME.PLY

Oh yea, forgot that they do it on reviews too. That makes sense then.

JMU DJ
December 22nd, 2008, 02:15 PM
Nothing has taken the air out of a football game more for me than sitting in a stadium when your team has the momentum and a TV time out gets called. If the game is televised, the producer is going to call a time out whenever he thinks he can catch a break in the game... sometimes that's on 4th and 1 at the goal line when the team driving has no time outs and it's the last 10 seconds of the game. Thanks for the time out TV producer. You don't notice it as much sitting at home watching as opposed to when you are actually at the game. Being an FCS thread, not many of our games get televised (minus Jerryville apparently) thus we never get exposed to these TV time outs until playoffs. It's a Catch-22, you get to see your team on TV, but you get the air sucked out of the stadium when a TV time out is called. This is the reason it's hard for me to enjoy watching UGA games at Sanford Stadium. It's like going to Catholic Mass... a lot of sitting and standing and in the end you're tired and your knees hurt.

Eaglesrus
December 22nd, 2008, 02:15 PM
I hate TV timeouts. We had 9 games televised this year and I would say that there are fewer things more annoying than watching both teams standing around at the line of scrimmage waiting for the guy in the red hat to get off the field.

Yeah, every time one of our games is televised we talk about the guy in the red hat being the most hated person in the stadium.

MacThor
December 22nd, 2008, 03:59 PM
It wasn't a TV timeout, it was a spot review. (A much needed one as Chase's knee was down at the 9, the ball was at the 8, and they spotted it on the 6!) Mike London was on that linesman's case all night.

griz8791
December 22nd, 2008, 04:07 PM
What I noticed that night and the next day at the NAIA game was how LONG the TV timeouts take. If I as a clueless spectator am standing there chomping at the bit for the timeout to end, it must be murder on the players.

Georgia Griz
December 23rd, 2008, 01:51 PM
Really? We are talking about tv timeouts?

And I thought JMU fans were supposed to be the ones that complained about everything.....

I'm not complaining. I was just wondering what happened. It was unclear immediately from the bleachers if that was a TV-timeout, and why was it called?

Georgia Griz
December 23rd, 2008, 01:55 PM

That makes a lot of sense now, and thank you for the explanation.

Georgia Griz
December 23rd, 2008, 02:00 PM
It wasn't a TV timeout, it was a spot review. (A much needed one as Chase's knee was down at the 9, the ball was at the 8, and they spotted it on the 6!) Mike London was on that linesman's case all night.

Thank you, great explanation. Makes a lot of sense now. I don't think I ever heard the Ref say they were reviewing that, so that might have contributed to my confusion.