PDA

View Full Version : If you could start....

Reign of Terrier
December 21st, 2008, 12:30 PM
a new OOC rivalry with any FCS team regardless of location who would it be and what would you call it?
For Wofford it would probably be Montana. It would be called "The classiest rivalry on earth"

mtgrizfankb
December 21st, 2008, 12:38 PM
i would RATHER have a Montana vs App.st rival. it could be the "Battle of the Fans"

JmuSkinsfan
December 21st, 2008, 01:00 PM
I would say App State, but you said a "new" rivalry. To be honest, I have no idea. I would say either Montana or Elon. Elon is relatively close to JMU and has a very similar school structure to us...and I think it would make for a great rivalry..

Wolfman
December 21st, 2008, 01:01 PM
Montana/App. State.....home-n-home every year.

Hoseinexile07
December 21st, 2008, 01:12 PM
I'd like a regular rivalry with Wofford. It's out of conference and because the schools are in such close proximity, there would never be a shortage of fan support. There's also a long history between us.

ur2k
December 21st, 2008, 01:17 PM
I'd take Elon or Furman. Similar schools to us that play a high level of football.

Reign of Terrier
December 21st, 2008, 01:17 PM
I'd like a regular rivalry with Wofford. It's out of conference and because the schools are in such close proximity, there would never be a shortage of fan support. There's also a long history between us.

we already are rivalsxeyebrowx

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 21st, 2008, 01:55 PM
I'll need some help....who has the second worst stadium out there?

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 21st, 2008, 01:56 PM
Sorry Northeastern, must be OOC

CSUBUCDAD
December 21st, 2008, 02:40 PM
Got a good shot at starting a good rivalry with Wofford if we can resign after the current 4 year deal. Would much rather see The Citadel step back up to the plate for the Chucktown Throw down though.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 21st, 2008, 03:27 PM
I'd take Elon or Furman. Similar schools to us that play a high level of football.

I agree. Wofford fits the bill also.

phoenixphanatic21
December 21st, 2008, 03:33 PM
I'd take either UR or JMU for the reasons listed above. Plus, I KNOW we can play better than we did against Richmond earlier this year. I'd also say Liberty, but that seems to be becoming a rivalry all by itself.

gophoenix
December 21st, 2008, 03:58 PM
I'd tell A&T to step it back up for the old Triad rivalry game.

Outside of that Furman, Wofford, Presbyterian, Richmond and Liberty come to mind. NC Central is close by, that could work.

But, the fans treat App as the rival right now.

Tribe4SF
December 21st, 2008, 04:35 PM
Hampton and Norfolk State are two that W&M has played periodically. I wish we played Hampton every year. They're 30 miles away. We'd call it the Peninsula Bowl.

UNIFanSince1983
December 21st, 2008, 05:24 PM
I would like to see us play Eastern Illinois again. We used to meet every year in conference. And it would be a battle of the blue panthers vs the purple panthers. Maybe playing McNeese again would be nice too. Finally, a regular season matchup with UNH would be awesome.

MacThor
December 21st, 2008, 05:24 PM
Plus, I KNOW we can play better than we did against Richmond earlier this year.

Gosh, UR is lucky we got 13 teams on their worst game of the season!

uofmman1122
December 21st, 2008, 05:29 PM
Richmond. xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

xlolx xlolx xlolx

But seriously, Richmond...xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

UNIFanSince1983
December 21st, 2008, 05:30 PM
Well we actually played one of our better games against Richmond. Well until the defense folded with 2 minutes to go.

Biff
December 21st, 2008, 05:38 PM

Too bad you ended your long time rivalry in Newberry.

Charleston Southern and VMI are The Citadel's OOC rivalry, but I would rather us start looking to SC State for a regular rivalry game.

Hoseinexile07
December 21st, 2008, 05:43 PM
Too bad you ended your long time rivalry in Newberry.

No, I'm glad we did, even though it was great to have a guaranteed win in just about everything. xthumbsupx

Hoseinexile07
December 21st, 2008, 05:45 PM

Not according to a lot of Wofford fans. From terrierfans.com I get the overall vibe that y'all would rather not play us. At least one of the posters there remarked that if it was between playing us and a D-II school, then he [or she?] would begrudgingly consent to a matchup between our teams. So, according to that line of thought PC will never, nor should, be considered a marquis matchup. That's not much of a rivalry. At PC, we consider Wofford a natural rival, as a lot of PC students have friends or relatives that go/went to Wofford. The schools are similar in size and are known for strong academics. We look forward to getting a consistent spot on your schedule, but a lot of Wofford fans aren't so eager for some reason. Rivalry emotion/antipathy is supposed to go both ways.

Reign of Terrier
December 21st, 2008, 05:48 PM
Not according to a lot of Wofford fans. From terrierfans.com I get the overall vibe that y'all would rather not play us. At least one of the posters there remarked that if it was between playing us and a D-II school, then he [or she?] would begrudgingly consent to a matchup between our teams.

I'll consider us rivals until we surpass you in the overall series (it's either tied or PC's up 1 or 2)

Hoseinexile07
December 21st, 2008, 05:55 PM
I'll consider us rivals until we surpass you in the overall series (it's either tied or PC's up 1 or 2)

See? That's what I was talking about. No desire from many Wofford fans to play us on a consistent basis in the future. xnonono2x

Reign of Terrier
December 21st, 2008, 06:04 PM
See? That's what I was talking about. No desire from many Wofford fans to play us on a consistent basis in the future. xnonono2x

I really don't care if we play PC or not, really at Wofford we don't care who we play OOC, we just don't try to schedule any tough OOC. We schedule the Big South, but the only Big South team that has beaten us since '03 was a playoff worthy Coastal Carolina in '06. Because PC is in the Big South we might schedule you guys more often due to location and the fact that we're pretty good at beating Big south teams.

As for us being rivals we are a decade ahead in terms of D1 experience so PC is going to have to catch up before we view you as such.

JackTwice
December 21st, 2008, 06:16 PM
i would RATHER have a Montana vs App.st rival. it could be the "Battle of the Fans"

How about having a rotating schedule of App, Montana, and NDSU.

The game could be labeled the Round Robin of Rambunctious Rooters.

Biff
December 21st, 2008, 06:16 PM
No, I'm glad we did, even though it was great to have a guaranteed win in just about everything. xthumbsupx

So should Clemson quit playing Carolina, Furman quit playing The Citadel. App St. quit playing the Chattanooga or WCU or whoever there rival is? All of the second teams mentioned have been beaten by there rival about as much as PC has beaten Newberry. I do understand the issue of Newberry being D2 and you guys are trying to build a D1 program, but that isn't a need to end a tradition like that.

Newberry and PC are like 30 minutes away from each other. Y'all have played ?95? games together. It is a longtime rivalry and if that is the attitude you guys have about that game, you guys have lost a little bit more respect from me (not that anyone cares about my respect). I thought the rumors about the snootiness of PC was unwarranted. Apparently, those rumors maybe more true than I thought.

Touchdown Yosef
December 21st, 2008, 06:45 PM
Montana

SeattleGriz
December 21st, 2008, 07:30 PM
We already have an OOC rivalry. Cal Poly.

Pantherpower
December 21st, 2008, 07:47 PM
"I would liked to have seen Montana." Oops, still stuck in the fog from the semi-final collapse against Richmond!xbawlingx

Biff
December 21st, 2008, 08:00 PM
Got a good shot at starting a good rivalry with Wofford if we can resign after the current 4 year deal. Would much rather see The Citadel step back up to the plate for the Chucktown Throw down though.

Sam earguement I always have ...

I think The Citadel/CSU rivalry will build, but give it time. CSU isn't helping much in the schedule and we have no history of any rivalry to build. We jsut need to play. But, having to pay for a stadium, we need money. So unless you guys can help pack the stands, then we won't meet much. Elon is by far the worst traveling school to Charleston amongst the SoCon teams and they still bring more fans than a team coming less than 15 miles away.

RE/MAXGriz
December 21st, 2008, 08:36 PM
I'll need some help....who has the second worst stadium out there?

Northern Colorado possibly?

ngineer
December 21st, 2008, 09:17 PM
I'd like to see Lehigh continue the Villanova series that got started a few years ago. I think the contract was for six games so we might only have one more game scheduled after next year. Would also like to see the Delaware series renewed, too. Delaware is Lehigh's most played OOC opponent with over 50+ games, but there is no interest in any kind of regular meeting...xsmhx

PantherRob82
December 21st, 2008, 09:21 PM
Montana, McNeese, or Georgia Southern

elon77
December 21st, 2008, 10:18 PM
I would love to see Elon play W&M. Elon has a ton of Alumni in the Eastern part of Virginia and both teams at this time seem to be pretty even. A game in Williamsburg would be great. I actually believe they were suppose to play this year in Williamsburg, but W&M backed out so they could beat up on Norfolk State.

Proud Griz Man
December 21st, 2008, 10:55 PM
We already have an OOC rivalry. Cal Poly.

I like the suggestions by Wofford fans, App State fans, and UNI fans, but I have to agree that Cal Poly is the OOC rivalry I crave. Fortunately we have a long-term contract for 4 more games.xthumbsupx

SeattleGriz
December 21st, 2008, 11:28 PM
I like the suggestions by Wofford fans, App State fans, and UNI fans, but I have to agree that Cal Poly is the OOC rivalry I crave. Fortunately we have a long-term contract for 4 more games.xthumbsupx

Agreed PGM. I am not trying to be turd, but we already have a great OOC rivalry that many fans would desire. Two of the best West coast teams playing almost every year.

FargoBison
December 22nd, 2008, 03:22 AM
Montana State or Montana

JMU Newbill
December 22nd, 2008, 06:52 AM
I'd love to see JMU play App State on an annual basis. That game earlier this year had the feel of a November/December game in September.

4th and What?
December 22nd, 2008, 07:58 AM
I actually believe they were suppose to play this year in Williamsburg, but W&M backed out so they could beat up on Norfolk State.

How did that work out for their playoff bid this year? ;)

GoBlueHens83
December 22nd, 2008, 08:08 AM
I'd like to see Appalachian State & Montana in the future. But I am not holding my breath.

Tribe4SF
December 22nd, 2008, 08:16 AM
I would love to see Elon play W&M. Elon has a ton of Alumni in the Eastern part of Virginia and both teams at this time seem to be pretty even. A game in Williamsburg would be great. I actually believe they were suppose to play this year in Williamsburg, but W&M backed out so they could beat up on Norfolk State.

I don't know if Elon is going to happen for the Tribe. With VMI returning to the schedule in 2010, and ODU appearing as an OOC for that year, it wouldn't be before 2011. With Liberty, Norfolk State and Hampton close by, I think an Elon matchup is down the list for home-and-home. Playing an ACC school each year only leaves two spots for OOC FCS teams.

Cobblestone
December 22nd, 2008, 08:22 AM
Coastal Carolina. I can meet CCUCheer and go to the beach. Sorry but location is everything when you haven't had a winning season 7 years.

OLDMAIN80
December 22nd, 2008, 08:31 AM
If travel is not a factor I would say Cal Poly and Montana. If I had to stay closer to home then Richmond, W&M or Jax State.

Woof
December 22nd, 2008, 08:38 AM
I have said this before, but I would rather us start a SoCon-Ivy league series where the teams from the two conferences rotate thru playing one another....kind of like what they do in hoops with the ACC-Big 10 challenge. IMO, it would have 2 advantages, the SoCon schools would get to play in some of the cool old stadiums and the Ivys might get a taste for the playoffs.

Hoseinexile07
December 22nd, 2008, 09:07 AM
So should Clemson quit playing Carolina, Furman quit playing The Citadel. App St. quit playing the Chattanooga or WCU or whoever there rival is? All of the second teams mentioned have been beaten by there rival about as much as PC has beaten Newberry. I do understand the issue of Newberry being D2 and you guys are trying to build a D1 program, but that isn't a need to end a tradition like that.

Newberry and PC are like 30 minutes away from each other. Y'all have played ?95? games together. It is a longtime rivalry and if that is the attitude you guys have about that game, you guys have lost a little bit more respect from me (not that anyone cares about my respect). I thought the rumors about the snootiness of PC was unwarranted. Apparently, those rumors maybe more true than I thought.

First of all, how can one post from one person confirm or bust any rumors you have heard about PC as a whole? PC has 8,000 alumni; I'm only one of them. And what I said wasn't out of snootiness. I loved the rivalry we had with Newberry when we were Division II, but we're not at that level anymore. We've moved up, but we didn't just dump them as a rival. Before the 2007 season we tried to work with Newberry to continue scheduling them, but things didn't pan out. We tried. They tried. Didn't happen. Unfortunate. Our athletics department is not against trying to work things out later on in the future, but for right now the rivalry is on hold. However, from this PC fan's perspective, if it comes down to either being I-AA or continuing to dominate Newberry in football at the DII level, I'll throw my vote in for I-AA any day of the week.

appfan2008
December 22nd, 2008, 09:16 AM
very easy for me... MONTANA

Biff
December 22nd, 2008, 09:33 AM
First of all, how can one post from one person confirm or bust any rumors you have heard about PC as a whole? And what I said wasn't out of snootiness. I loved the rivalry we had with Newberry when we were Division II, but we're not at that level anymore. We've moved up, and before the 2007 season we tried to work with Newberry to continue scheduling them, but things didn't pan out. We tried. They tried. Didn't happen. Unfortunate. But from this PC fan's perspective, if it comes down to being I-AA or continuing to dominate Newberry in football, I'll throw my vote in for I-AA every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I'm from Newberry and know a number of Indian Club (or whatever the new mascot is) members. PC got snooty about this rivalry saying that unless it was played at PC it wouldn't happen. There reasoning became that they are better than Newberry as they moved up to D1 and that they need the $$ so they wanted to conitnue the rivalry as a home game only. That is the rumor and I have always suspected that Newberry didn't want to compromise either.

Notice I said maybe about the rumors. You proved the rumors right in your post, but it certainly would take a number posts for me to really seal the deal on snootinees and PC. I still think PC is a class school and would like to see The Citadel get back to playing Newberry or PC every other year as we have long standing rivalry's (50 plus games played against both of you). But for us having VMI as an OOC game and CSU in town, that is unlikely with only 3 OOC games available. FBS for one, VMI/CSU for another or both games, but that limits us from doing games like Princeton this year, or whoever else we want to match up against in the CAA. But CSU/VMI/SC ST./CCU/PC are great OOC games for us due to location and tradition.

Just heard we play PC on Sept. 20 or around that time.

Appfan_in_CAAland
December 22nd, 2008, 10:39 AM
So should ..... App St. quit playing the Chattanooga or WCU or whoever there rival is?

If it means renewed rivalries against old rivals Marshall, East Carolina, and Wake Forest, then yes, yes we should. xnodx xnodx

Hoseinexile07
December 22nd, 2008, 11:12 AM

So I guess we're not rivals? This feels like a DTR talk you'd have with a girl you've been dating for about a month. xlolx

wapiti
December 22nd, 2008, 11:27 AM
Montana State or Montana

I agree. A Montana vs North Dakota would be great.

With the Montana and North Dakota schools alternating each year which team they play and alternating location.

bostonspider
December 22nd, 2008, 11:35 AM
I would love to see UR playing Harvard or Princeton or Yale. Just such great history at those programs.

Biff
December 22nd, 2008, 11:43 AM
If it means renewed rivalries against old rivals Marshall, East Carolina, and Wake Forest, then yes, yes we should. xnodx xnodx

Western Carolina seems to be the team you have played most in your history. Renewing these rivalries would be good for you guys, but it would seem that would be putting you guys in FBS.

I guess my point about PC is that they shouldn't have discontinued there game against Newberry, they never totally dominated Newberry.

MacThor
December 22nd, 2008, 03:50 PM
I'd love to see a rivalry with Florida. Then I'd get an excuse to go see this "Swamp" my wife keeps bragging about. :)

terrierbob
December 22nd, 2008, 03:55 PM
Youngterrier is just that, young. PC's been a rival off and on for decades (maybe none he's lived inxlolx ). I'd be happy to have them at least every other year.

ViennaSpider
December 22nd, 2008, 04:29 PM
Probably won't happen, but I'd really like to see Richmond set up a series with a west coast team, e.g., Cal Poly, UC Davis, San Diego, E. Washington. The Spiders have never been any farther west than Montana, and that was a playoff game.

Reign of Terrier
December 22nd, 2008, 04:33 PM
Youngterrier is just that, young. PC's been a rival off and on for decades (maybe none he's lived inxlolx ). I'd be happy to have them at least every other year.

I think you might be right when was the last time we played them before 2008? Was it 1998? 1994? If it was 1994 I was hardly alive.

Seawolf97
December 22nd, 2008, 07:36 PM
I would like to see us get something going with Fordham. Other than Hofstra they are another strong team in the NYC Metro Area and only 50 miles away.

TXST_CAT
December 22nd, 2008, 09:07 PM
TXST Vs Cal Poly

No name yet

Ud1Hens
December 23rd, 2008, 09:18 AM
Delaware vs. Delaware State

It would be called the..."The Battle of ESPN's Outside the Lines"

eaglewithabus
December 23rd, 2008, 09:52 AM
Montana - Because I love to go out there and a game every couple years out there would be a wonderful excuse.

McNeese St. - I went to the last game when we played in lake charles and had a blast.

Coastal Carolina - Because its close by and I think CCUcheer would be digging me if we got to meet.xthumbsupx