PDA

View Full Version : A first timers report on the NC game

nwFL Griz
December 21st, 2008, 11:46 AM
A little background before I get in to the story of my trip.

I grew up in Kalispell, MT and my whole family are Griz people. My grandparents are season ticket holders, my aunt is part of the North End Zone bunch, my dad went there. The only exception would be my uncle....who somehow ended up a Bobcat guy. How does that happen???? I grew up going to Griz games...not all of them, but my fair share. In fact, the last college football game that I attended was the 1993 playoff loss to Delaware. Joined the Air Force in 94 and life has kept me too busy to be able to get to any other games since then. Well, this year I was finally in a position to get to a game, and thank god for the Griz, they made it the national title game for me. On to the trip.

Living in NW Florida, I drove up the same day (due to work, I couldn't go before). It was about a 6 hour drive and it rained the whole drive...making me concerned, because I didn't really want to sit in the rain. I would have, but I didn't want to. Rain held off, though, thank goodness for that. Our original trip plan was for 5....me, my wife, son, and two high school kids from our church that will likely play FCS football in a couple of years. But, alas, family issues prevented the high schoolers from coming, so just me and the family. Wouldn't you know it, around Birmingham, my son gets sick. But he says he's ok, so we press on.

Pull in to Chatty about an hour and a half before kickoff, of course the stadium is super easy to find and we drive around looking for parking. I was not prepared, cash wise, but I end up spending our last 20 on parking (WTF??). I figure, it's ok, I'll just hit the ATM when we get to the stadium. So, I pull on my Griz jersey (#37...was Jason Crebo when I got it), we grab our gear and start the walk to the stadium. We get through the entrance fairly quickly, kudos to the ticket takers, for making it go fast. So we get inside and I start lokking around for an ATM......we circle to stadium twice, and ask everyone, but no ATM. NO ATM? As beautiful as that stadium is, how can there not be an ATM in the facility? The best answer I can get is, "well there's one in the pavilion, outside the gate." Lotta good that does me since they won't let you back in if you leave. So no money for a program or t-shirt, or anything to eat. No biggie, then it hits me...I forgot the camera in the car. AAARRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!

So, we go to our seats, and chat with some of the other fans around us. Mostly Griz, but a few Mountaineers too. Unfortunately, now my son is really not feeling good, so he lays down on the bench and goes to sleep. The pregame festivities start, thankfully my cell phone has a pretty good camera, so all is not lost. The Black Knights were pretty cool, as was the teams' entrance. The National Anthem......well if you saw it, you know it was one of the longest I've seen. She did a good job, but drew out every note. Anyhow, kickoff comes and I'm pumped. Then the Spiders promptly push around on their way down the field, and then fools no one (except the Griz defense) on the throwback for the touchdown. Our whole section screams at the linebacker (not sure who had that assignment) to cover the QB on the play. It's ok I think, the Griz will respond. They did, marched down the field, then shoot themselves in the foot with a penalty and then miss the field goal. Uh-oh. By now, my wife is worried about my son, so she takes him back to the car and they watch movies while I sit alone in the stands.

Eventually, it begins to dawn on me what is going on with the Griz. They are playing like a team who is "just happy to be here." It even feels that way coming from the fans...there was no energy, not like I'm used to seeing and hearing about. And the Spiders are good, way too good if you don't have your heart in it. Second score comes and Bobby abandons the running game. I now realize we won't win, because up to this point Cole has shown that he just wasn't on enough to win this game through the air. He is just missing on several throws, and the shot he took to the leg on the first drive is really slowing him down. From then on....well you watched the game.

Richmond very much won this game. They dominated the line on both sides of the ball. I didn't find them that much faster, as some other posters I've read have said. They were quick, but not blazing enough to make the difference. No, the difference was they had a plan and executed it. No mistakes, and the Griz did nothing to make them change their game plan. It is no surprise that the Spiders were ranked #1 early in the year.

So, game is over, and Griz are leaving the field to a standing O from the Griz side. One of the O-line salutes the fans (I didn't catch his number, but I'm fairly certain he was one of the seniors). The fireworks were awesome, I make it back to the car in time to watch the show with my wife and son (who is feeling better, after throwing up a couple of times). We decide not to drive back, so we get a room. Next morning we take a short drive around the city before heading out.

Overall impressions from the trip:

Chatty is a beautiful city and if we go next year (regardless of who is playing), we're going early so we can partake of some of what 'Nooga has to offer.

Beautiful stadium, if the NCAA decides to keep the game here, that would be fine by me.

I'll be better prepared with more cash on-hand next time.

Anyhow, thanks to the Griz for a great season. It surpassed most realistic expectations....I expected about three losses before the year began.

Congratulations to the Richmond Spiders, the best team in the nation!

On a side note, if anyone has an extra program, I would gladly purchase it from you. PM me.

EDIT: Something I forgot to say. I think that if the game was replayed 10 times, I like to think the Griz would win at least 5 of those. Of course, that might just be the fan in me. LOL

Grizo406
December 21st, 2008, 07:36 PM
From one 1st timer to another, nwFL Griz, great report!

The player that saluted the fans was #79, Colin Dow.

ViennaSpider
December 22nd, 2008, 12:06 AM
Hope your son is ok by now. I too was impressed with Finley Stadium. Great facility. And the gendarmerie were there in force. No crowd control problem at the end of the game---like last year.

nwFL Griz
December 22nd, 2008, 12:17 AM
Hope your son is ok by now. I too was impressed with Finley Stadium. Great facility. And the gendarmerie were there in force. No crowd control problem at the end of the game---like last year.

Thanks Vienna, he's good...probably just a little stomach virus.

Congrats again, champs!

nwFL Griz
December 22nd, 2008, 12:19 AM
From one 1st timer to another, nwFL Griz, great report!

The player that saluted the fans was #79, Colin Dow.

I knew it was 70-something....not gonna lie, got a little misty seeing that.

Man, I wish I could get to see them play more in person. I really miss it.

appfan2008
December 22nd, 2008, 07:48 AM
nice report... having been to the last 3 i would agree that it is a beautiful place for a football game

paward
December 22nd, 2008, 07:53 AM
I have not been there since 1998 when Umass played GSU. What is the story on the old ice house looking building next to the stadium? Thought it would be torn dowm by now.

mistersykes
December 22nd, 2008, 02:58 PM
Good report!

89Hen
December 22nd, 2008, 04:44 PM
Chatty is a beautiful city and if we go next year (regardless of who is playing), we're going early so we can partake of some of what 'Nooga has to offer.

Beautiful stadium, if the NCAA decides to keep the game here, that would be fine by me.
All you Chatty naysayers take note. You will hear this same thing over and over again from people who have actually been to the game. If you haven't been to Chatty for the NC game, your opinion of Chatty is worthless IMO. xpeacex

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 22nd, 2008, 04:47 PM
I have not been there since 1998 when Umass played GSU. What is the story on the old ice house looking building next to the stadium? Thought it would be torn dowm by now.

I was wondering the same thing. They even had a spotlight on it!

Rob Iola
December 22nd, 2008, 05:35 PM
All you Chatty naysayers take note. You will hear this same thing over and over again from people who have actually been to the game. If you haven't been to Chatty for the NC game, your opinion of Chatty is worthless IMO. xpeacex
Amen to that brother - now that they've installed field turf they need to keep the game there for a good long time...

Grizo406
December 22nd, 2008, 09:02 PM

As I mentioned earlier, this was my first trip to Chattanooga. I sincerely hope that the National Championship stays there! Other towns might do as good a job, but I can't see how they could do it better than Chattanooga does it.

I fell in love with the town, its people, Davenport Field, and the whole NCAA Division I Football Championship experience!

ur2k
December 24th, 2008, 10:47 AM
I was wondering the same thing. They even had a spotlight on it!

It looks like they are waiting for it to fall down xnodx

chattanoogamocs
December 25th, 2008, 07:57 PM
First, let me say thanks for the kind words about my hometown and my alma mater's home field.

As for the building (it was a turn of the century electric power building for the city)...after nearly a decade of legal entanglements and lawsuits (the city tried unsuccessfully to steal it thru eminent domain)...the building finally sold this fall.

The new owner are looking into a number of different ideas for it...from condos and restaurant to just tearing it down and making it a parking lot.

BTW, it would take a couple of centuries for it to fall down in it's own...some of the walls are more than 3 feet thick. :)

89Hen
December 25th, 2008, 08:52 PM
As I mentioned earlier, this was my first trip to Chattanooga. I sincerely hope that the National Championship stays there! Other towns might do as good a job, but I can't see how they could do it better than Chattanooga does it.

I fell in love with the town, its people, Davenport Field, and the whole NCAA Division I Football Championship experience!
Grizo is wise. Again for you Chatty naysayers, I had the same experience as Grizo last year, and both of our teams LOST! THAT's how great it was... even losing we still had a great time. xnodx xthumbsupx

Mountain Panther
December 25th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Grizo is wise. Again for you Chatty naysayers, I had the same experience as Grizo last year, and both of our teams LOST! THAT's how great it was... even losing we still had a great time. xnodx xthumbsupx

I agree....I had an excellent time in 2005.

Syntax Error
December 25th, 2008, 11:28 PM
I got a program for you nwFL Griz

DX Man
December 26th, 2008, 01:42 PM
A little background before I get in to the story of my trip.

I grew up in Kalispell, MT and my whole family are Griz people. My grandparents are season ticket holders, my aunt is part of the North End Zone bunch, my dad went there. The only exception would be my uncle....who somehow ended up a Bobcat guy. How does that happen???? I grew up going to Griz games...not all of them, but my fair share. In fact, the last college football game that I attended was the 1993 playoff loss to Delaware. Joined the Air Force in 94 and life has kept me too busy to be able to get to any other games since then. Well, this year I was finally in a position to get to a game, and thank god for the Griz, they made it the national title game for me. On to the trip.

Living in NW Florida, I drove up the same day (due to work, I couldn't go before). It was about a 6 hour drive and it rained the whole drive...making me concerned, because I didn't really want to sit in the rain. I would have, but I didn't want to. Rain held off, though, thank goodness for that. Our original trip plan was for 5....me, my wife, son, and two high school kids from our church that will likely play FCS football in a couple of years. But, alas, family issues prevented the high schoolers from coming, so just me and the family. Wouldn't you know it, around Birmingham, my son gets sick. But he says he's ok, so we press on.

Pull in to Chatty about an hour and a half before kickoff, of course the stadium is super easy to find and we drive around looking for parking. I was not prepared, cash wise, but I end up spending our last 20 on parking (WTF??). I figure, it's ok, I'll just hit the ATM when we get to the stadium. So, I pull on my Griz jersey (#37...was Jason Crebo when I got it), we grab our gear and start the walk to the stadium. We get through the entrance fairly quickly, kudos to the ticket takers, for making it go fast. So we get inside and I start lokking around for an ATM......we circle to stadium twice, and ask everyone, but no ATM. NO ATM? As beautiful as that stadium is, how can there not be an ATM in the facility? The best answer I can get is, "well there's one in the pavilion, outside the gate." Lotta good that does me since they won't let you back in if you leave. So no money for a program or t-shirt, or anything to eat. No biggie, then it hits me...I forgot the camera in the car. AAARRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!

So, we go to our seats, and chat with some of the other fans around us. Mostly Griz, but a few Mountaineers too. Unfortunately, now my son is really not feeling good, so he lays down on the bench and goes to sleep. The pregame festivities start, thankfully my cell phone has a pretty good camera, so all is not lost. The Black Knights were pretty cool, as was the teams' entrance. The National Anthem......well if you saw it, you know it was one of the longest I've seen. She did a good job, but drew out every note. Anyhow, kickoff comes and I'm pumped. Then the Spiders promptly push around on their way down the field, and then fools no one (except the Griz defense) on the throwback for the touchdown. Our whole section screams at the linebacker (not sure who had that assignment) to cover the QB on the play. It's ok I think, the Griz will respond. They did, marched down the field, then shoot themselves in the foot with a penalty and then miss the field goal. Uh-oh. By now, my wife is worried about my son, so she takes him back to the car and they watch movies while I sit alone in the stands.

Eventually, it begins to dawn on me what is going on with the Griz. They are playing like a team who is "just happy to be here." It even feels that way coming from the fans...there was no energy, not like I'm used to seeing and hearing about. And the Spiders are good, way too good if you don't have your heart in it. Second score comes and Bobby abandons the running game. I now realize we won't win, because up to this point Cole has shown that he just wasn't on enough to win this game through the air. He is just missing on several throws, and the shot he took to the leg on the first drive is really slowing him down. From then on....well you watched the game.

Richmond very much won this game. They dominated the line on both sides of the ball. I didn't find them that much faster, as some other posters I've read have said. They were quick, but not blazing enough to make the difference. No, the difference was they had a plan and executed it. No mistakes, and the Griz did nothing to make them change their game plan. It is no surprise that the Spiders were ranked #1 early in the year.

So, game is over, and Griz are leaving the field to a standing O from the Griz side. One of the O-line salutes the fans (I didn't catch his number, but I'm fairly certain he was one of the seniors). The fireworks were awesome, I make it back to the car in time to watch the show with my wife and son (who is feeling better, after throwing up a couple of times). We decide not to drive back, so we get a room. Next morning we take a short drive around the city before heading out.

Overall impressions from the trip:

I'll be better prepared with more cash on-hand next time.

Anyhow, thanks to the Griz for a great season. It surpassed most realistic expectations....I expected about three losses before the year began.

Congratulations to the Richmond Spiders, the best team in the nation!

On a side note, if anyone has an extra program, I would gladly purchase it from you. PM me.

EDIT: Something I forgot to say. I think that if the game was replayed 10 times, I like to think the Griz would win at least 5 of those. Of course, that might just be the fan in me. LOL

Good report!xthumbsupx

Grizo406
December 26th, 2008, 04:24 PM

I thought there was ABSOLUTELY no way the Griz would lose this National Championship. With the way UM played the last part of the season, and how we beat JMU...our third NC was in the bag!! The Griz didn't show up, and Richmond did. They deserve the title, because they were simply the better team on that particular night.

The way I was treated by EVERY single level of the food chain in Chattanooga, and the whole National Championship "experience", diluted any disappointment that I might have had...far more than I can possibly say.

Big props to the town of Chattanooga, they do it RIGHT!

Rekdiver
December 29th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Chatty can handle 7,000 visitors, not 16,000 like the past 3 years.

I like the town but I had to work too hard to get food and beverage the two days I was there for the past 3 years...

The stadium is adaquate, nothing exciting.

Nice report from the Griz though.

FYI there is a Mountaineer living is Kasipel now ( his name will not be listed to protect him from abuse, and he was flying his ASU winsock on his home....until neighborhood kids cut it down!

Bronco
December 29th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Chatty can handle 7,000 visitors, not 16,000 like the past 3 years.

I like the town but I had to work too hard to get food and beverage the two days I was there for the past 3 years...

The stadium is adaquate, nothing exciting.

Nice report from the Griz though.

FYI there is a Mountaineer living is Kasipel now ( his name will not be listed to protect him from abuse, and he was flying his ASU winsock on his home....until neighborhood kids cut it down!

The Mountaineer living in kalispell will be fine flying his wind sock....its not like he's flying a bobcat flag. Grizo can tell you that the Mountaineers are respected in Montana. Whenever he wears his App state colors at tail gates he gets a good reaction.