PDA

View Full Version : Wolfman analyzes NC game

Wolfman
December 20th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Now that the dust has settled, and the adrenalin levels are back to normal, I will give you my fair-and-balanced comments on the Griz/Spider game.

Let me say first that Richmond totally deserved winning this game. They excuted their game plan to perfection, avoided turning the ball over to a team that excels on creating TOs, and played very intelligent football on both sides of the ball.

However, I do not buy for one minute that the Spiders had superior talent than Montana. Not for a minute.

Football is a crazy sport. In certain games, things just happen that totally dictate the rest of the game. It is these things that allow a clearly inferior Oregon State team to defeat USC, or a clearly inferior Ole Miss team to defeat Florida.

I am not saying that Richmond is inferior. Not at all. In fact, I believe that the Spiders and Griz would split 5-5, if they played each other 10 times. However, on this night, the Spiders did the things early which dictated the rest of the game, and allowed them to look very superior to Montana most of the game.

The Griz played a very similar game earlier this season, against Eastern Washington. If you remember, EWU promptly moved the ball into scoring position on their first drive, much like the Griz did Friday night in Chatty. However, in both cases, mental errors, and missed scoring opportunities caused both teams to come away with zero points.

The result, in both games, was that the early missed scoring opportunity set the tone for the rest of the game. The Griz dominated a great EWU offense the rest of that game in Cheney. Friday night, it seemed like Richmond had 14 points on the board before Montana even broke a real sweat. Hauck looked confused, stunned on the sideline. The body language of the Montana players was one of disbelief.

What does Bobby do? On his next possession, he immediately shuns the vaunted running game, and tries to pass his way back into the game. This was the death wish that Richmond wanted so badly. Richmond coaches knew that, if they could force Montana out of their run-first, balanced offensive game plan, and make them one dimentional, they would prevail.

Bobby obliged them perfectly, by giving up the running game with 7:00 minutes to go in the the second quarter. While Richmond had a very good front four on defense, they had little depth at those positions. Montana could have pounded and pounded the rock in the first half, then had their way with the tired Richmond defense in the second half. But, they played right into London's hands, much to his surprise, and delight.

So, once again, I believe that Bobby was out-coached in playoff time....something which has occured in many seasons of Bobby-ball.

I am very proud of those Montana kids who left their guts on that Chatty playing field. They played hard, and gave it their all. And, had Montana stuck to their game plan, when down 14-0, with 7:00 minutes left till halftime, and pounded the ball down the field with Chase, ending the half with a score to go into the locker room down only 14-7, it very well could have been a different game.

However, with the 3-passes-and-out at that point in the game, giving the ball back to the Spiders, which promptly scored on a tired Montana defense to make it 21-0, the rout was on, and the UM game plan would never be the same the remainder of the game.

Eight sacks by Richmond was the result. Yet Montana did not throw a single screen pass to slow down the relentless pass rush, and, only one pass to the RB. Five-step drops used when the Richmond pass rush was pinning their ears back to rush Cole, was NOT the answer. Once again, we were Phenicitizined by poor play calling, and poor game strategy.

And so, we Griz fans pack up our Griz stuff for another season, lick our wounds, congratulate those players on another great won/lost record, and begin counting the days until next season. Next year, it will surely be different, with a better ending to the season. Won't it?

Tribe4SF
December 20th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Next year, it will surely be different, with a better ending to the season. Won't it?

If it's not, you can just make up another ending.:D

Are you sure you're not a JMU fan?

gbhmt
December 20th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Flawless analysis. I've seen it before from Phenicie but I really did not expect it after his perfect playcalling in the JMU game. All through the playoffs he's been using Chase to wear them down and then hit them where it hurts when they're down using the pass game. Can't understand why he had to change his gameplan when it had done so well in the last three playoff games.

Wolfman
December 20th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Flawless analysis. I've seen it before from Phenicie but I really did not expect it after his perfect playcalling in the JMU game. All through the playoffs he's been using Chase to wear them down and then hit them where it hurts when they're down using the pass game. Can't understand why he had to change his gameplan when it had done so well in the last three playoff games.

Thank you. It is very hard for Griz fans to look past the great ride (and, it WAS a GREAT RIDE) into the championship game, and be rational about what actually transpired in that game. The fact is, Friday's NC game could have been much different if the Griz would have stuck to their game plan, instead of trying to be something they are not..... a passing team.

Silenoz
December 20th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Agree with nearly 100% of that post. Really discouraging to see only one dump to Chase

Screamin_Eagle174
December 20th, 2008, 06:15 PM
You added an extra 'L' in the title of the thread. But other than that, I don't have too many qualms.

Cleets
December 20th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Re: Woman analyzes NC game xlolx

xbowx I don't care who you are: That's funny

YoUDeeMan
December 20th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Now that the dust has settled, and the adrenalin levels are back to normal, I will give you my fair-and-balanced comments on the Griz/Spider game.

Let me say first that Richmond totally deserved winning this game. They excuted their game plan to perfection, avoided turning the ball over to a team that excels on creating TOs, and played very intelligent football on both sides of the ball.

While we're inventing different scenarios, it was interesting that you simply (yes, simply) added (wished, hoped, assumed), that UM would have just marched down the filed and scored before half. xlolx Heck, no turnovers. No UR tackles for a loss. No good defense by the spiders. Yup, those Spiders on D were absolutlely helpless against a big O-line - they showed that last week against an arguably better-than-UM UNI O-line. Yes, UNI had a better line than UM. xnodx Helpless, those Spiders. xlolx xlolx xlolx

C'mon...as though Richmond would have never stopped the Griz on the run. Poof. TDs every time UM runs the ball. And let's not forget that the vaunted UM D (oh, the chuckles on that one) would have stopped UR enough times to make a difference when it counted. Shoot, they never stopped UR when it truely mattered. But hey, let's not spoil a fantasy.

UR beat the Griz and UR certainly did not play their best game. There was a lot more in UR's tank. They were the better team. Not just last night. They were the better team - period. xnodx

Bettina90
December 20th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Seriously. And Thank you. Look forward to next year, esp. if you guys get Devlin.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 20th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Cluck U - thanks for writing what I would like to write but be accused of being a 'Sore Winner' for saying.

The matchup we were told to look out for was the Spiders D-line against the Montana O-line.

8 sacks.

25 rushes for 39 yards.

Nuff said.

Proud Griz Man
December 20th, 2008, 11:08 PM

3rd and 8 or 3rd and 12v, do you pass or run Chase ??? Wolman's (yes no-v) analysis does not take into account down-and-disantce). I don't know Mr. Phenicie but the last three quarters play calling were altered due to the score.

Bettina90
December 20th, 2008, 11:12 PM
If the last 3 Quarters play-calling was altered by the score then you have a serious, serious coaching problem, as Richmond only went up 21-0 with about 2 minutes to play in the first half, and even that is not insurmountable.

gbhmt
December 20th, 2008, 11:17 PM
3rd and 8 or 3rd and 12v, do you pass or run Chase ??? Wolman's (yes no-v) analysis does not take into account down-and-disantce). I don't know Mr. Phenicie but the last three quarters play calling were altered due to the score.

I'm not talking about 3rd and 8, i'm talking about 1st and 10, and the handful of 3rd and 4's and 5's that were play action passes.

YoUDeeMan
December 20th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Cluck U - thanks for writing what I would like to write but be accused of being a 'Sore Winner' for saying.

The matchup we were told to look out for was the Spiders D-line against the Montana O-line.

8 sacks.

25 rushes for 39 yards.

Nuff said.

Your brother is a sharp guy. Love his sense of humor! xthumbsupx If you are ever in Newark for a game, I'll provide you guys a few beers. xnodx

Congrats to your for your Spider's championship! xbowx

Speaking of Spiders, I was just speaking today to your QB from mid or late 1990s. 1996 or 1998. Forget his name. I'll have to look it up. Good baseball player, too.

Tubby recruited him but he didn't want to do that much running. :D

CopperCat
December 21st, 2008, 12:00 AM
UR OWNED the line of scrimmage, which is why the running game never got established for UM. Cole looked rush when he wanted to pass, which was a byproduct of UR taking control at the line and getting guys in the backfield. Yes, the playcalling was not good at all, but I think UR did more to disrupt play on the field more than anything. Cole did not play well, he wasn't his usual self. Nonetheless, congrats to both teams. It took a lot to get to that game.xthumbsupx

Bettina90
December 21st, 2008, 12:19 AM
Which is why the pregame posts about UM's size on the O-line seem kinda silly after the fact.

Grizalltheway
December 21st, 2008, 12:26 AM
Which is why the pregame posts about UM's size on the O-line seem kinda silly after the fact.

Can you really deny that they're big? xconfusedx

Bettina90
December 21st, 2008, 12:35 AM
Can you really deny they got dominated?

Cleets
December 21st, 2008, 12:43 AM
Can you really deny they got dominated?

I wanted Montana to win... but they did indeed get handled xnodx

MacThor
December 21st, 2008, 10:42 AM
This is the "If if's and but's were candy and nuts" analysis.

While Richmond had a very good front four on defense, they had little depth at those positions.

Haven't watched much Spider ball this season I suppose. The backups up front were big contributors. Ashe had made the most important tackle of our season up to the NC.

Montana could have pounded and pounded the rock in the first half, then had their way with the tired Richmond defense in the second half. You sure about that? So many teams "had their way" with UR's defense this year that only 2 exceeded 20 points in 16 games.

And, had Montana stuck to their game plan, when down 14-0, with 7:00 minutes left till halftime, and pounded the ball down the field with Chase, ending the half with a score to go into the locker room down only 14-7, it very well could have been a different game. Candy and nuts.

Yet Montana did not throw a single screen pass to slow down the relentless pass rush, and, only one pass to the RB. xnonox

Um 2-20 at Um15 [SHOT], Cole Bergquist middle pass incomplete to Chase Reynolds.
Um 1-10 at Um21 [SHOT], Cole Bergquist screen pass complete to Chase Reynolds for 5 yards to the UM26 (Michael Ireland;Patrick Weldon).
Um 1-10 at Um31 [SHOT], Cole Bergquist pass complete to Chase Reynolds for 2 yards to the UM33 (C. McConaghy).
Um 3-14 at Richmond35 [SHOT], Cole Bergquist screen pass complete to Chase Reynolds for 14 yards to the RICHMOND21, 1ST DOWN UM (Justin Rogers).
Um 1-10 at Um13 [SHOT], Cole Bergquist screen pass complete to Chase Reynolds for 1 yard to the UM14 (Eric McBride).

Wolfman
December 21st, 2008, 10:43 AM
Richmond did not stop the Griz running game on it's first possession, when Montana moved it to the 5 yard line, got a motion penalty, then self-destructed and did not score.

The key series in this game, was when Montana got the ball, down 14-0, and immediately threw three incomplete passes and punted. I have doubt that Montana could have run the ball on Richmond. Montana can run the ball on anybody. Some you you are making Richmond's defense out to be the second coming of the Steel Curtain. Many teams ran against them during the season, and The Griz could have run too.

It is easy to look back on all of the Richmond sacks in the game. But, understand that Richmond did not have to respect the run after halftime, allowing their line, and blitz packages to tee off on every play. Makes things real easy.

You will never convince me that Richmond could beat the Griz more than 50% of the time if they played 10 games. The talent level was very equal. The difference was coaching.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 21st, 2008, 10:47 AM
You will never convince me that Richmond could beat the Griz more than 50% of the time if they played 10 games. The talent level was very equal. The difference was coaching.

I guess there is no reason to continue the conversation then! Good luck next year! xthumbsupx

ursus arctos horribilis
December 21st, 2008, 10:58 AM
My analysis of the game...Both teams new what time the game started. Richmond showed up at the appointed time and kicked our ass by doing what we normally do to other teams. End of analysis.

gbhmt
December 21st, 2008, 11:12 AM
I think one thing that all of the Richmond fans in this thread don't realize is that Wolfman is the last poster on this board who would sugar coat. He's known for being practically anti-Griz at times.

Spider
December 21st, 2008, 11:20 AM
UR beat the Griz and UR certainly did not play their best game. There was a lot more in UR's tank. They were the better team. Not just last night. They were the better team - period. xnodx

well said, Cluck U.......

4th and What?
December 21st, 2008, 11:37 AM
Many teams ran against them during the season, and The Griz could have run too.

I'm not saying the run wouldn't of eventually worked against Richmond if Montana continued to try and run it all game, but Richmond in the playoffs was hardly Richmond from the regular season. All year long Richmond was the team that had all the pieces but never put anything together. Richmond in the playoffs showed that they could of beat JMU or Villanova on their best days, could of beat App State with a healthy AE, and did beat UNI at home. Richmond had a drive to them in the playoffs that I definately didn't see in them in either of the 2 Richmond games I watched in the regular season.

Montana beats regular season Richmond maybe 6 or 7 times out of ten, but doesn't put up more than 2 out of 10 against playoff Richmond.

putter
December 21st, 2008, 11:41 AM
well said, Cluck U.......

I have to disagree with that. Richmond dominated the first half and made the Griz o-Line, especially Horn, look silly all night. Why do I think Richmond wasn't the better team...period.

1st Half Richmond 21-0
2nd Half Montana 7-3

Phen Phen got away from at least trying to run which was a mistake. could they have pounded Richmond into submission? I doubt it but you can't abandon it totally..Richmond was able to tee off on Cole with their athletes at D-End and our tackles had no answer for them.

The Spiders deserved to win, played harder and, IMO, wanted it more. Enjoy your 1st NC!!!!!! xthumbsupx

MacThor
December 21st, 2008, 11:58 AM
Who was it that said "never let the facts get in the way of a good story?"

Richmond did not stop the Griz running game on it's first possession, when Montana moved it to the 5 yard line, got a motion penalty, then self-destructed and did not score. Yes, Chase was effective, but he was stuffed for no gain twice on the opening drive...a 69-yard drive, 47 of which was Mariani's circus catch.

The key series in this game, was when Montana got the ball, down 14-0, and immediately threw three incomplete passes and punted. xnonox
Um 1-10 at Um26 MONTANA drive start at 11:23.
Um 1-10 at Um26 , Cole Bergquist sideline pass incomplete to Marc Mariani (Derek Hatcher).
Um 2-10 at Um26 Chase Reynolds rush over left guard for 6 yards to the UM32 (Michael Ireland).
Um 3-4 at Um32 [SHOT], Cole Bergquist middle pass complete to Marc Mariani for 11 yards to the UM43, 1ST DOWN UM (Seth Williams).
Um 1-10 at Um43 [SHOT], Cole Bergquist sideline pass complete to Mike Ferriter for 2 yards to the UM45 (Derek Hatcher).
Um 2-8 at Um45 [SHOT], Cole Bergquist pass incomplete.
Um 3-8 at Um45 [SHOT], Cole Bergquist sacked for loss of 1 yard to the UM44 (Pierre Turner).
Um 4-9 at Um44 Ken Wood punt 41 yards to the RICHMOND15, Derek Hatcher return 10 yards to the RICHMOND25 (Dan Beaudin).

I have doubt that Montana could have run the ball on Richmond. Montana can run the ball on anybody. Some you you are making Richmond's defense out to be the second coming of the Steel Curtain. Many teams ran against them during the season, and The Griz could have run too. "Many?" [I]Three teams ran against UR this season in three consecutive weeks of October. 'Nova, VMI & JMU. VMI completed 0 passes and kept running their triple-option against UR's scrubs after they were down 30+. UNI was the 4th team to gain 100+ on the ground. Noone else came close, not even FBS UVa.

MacThor
December 21st, 2008, 12:12 PM
I think one thing that all of the Richmond fans in this thread don't realize is that Wolfman is the last poster on this board who would sugar coat. He's known for being practically anti-Griz at times.

Well he sure seems anti-Griz coaches. But the hyperbole ("not a single screen pass.....three and out!") is not supported by the facts.

My quick analysis: The key play of the game was this one on the opening drive:
Richmond 3-15 at Um49 [SHOT], Eric Ward rush for 18 yards to the UM31, 1ST DOWN RICHMOND (Shawn Lebsock).

Ward scrambles, knows how far he needs to get for the first, and all-American Colt Anderson has him lined up for a tackle at the 38, well short of the stick. Ward gets a little Rodney Landers-esque and runs right through the tackle. That set the tone early and I knew right there it was the Spiders' night.

putter
December 21st, 2008, 12:14 PM
Well he sure seems anti-Griz coaches. But the hyperbole ("not a single screen pass.....three and out!") is not supported by the facts.

Richmond 3-15 at Um49 [SHOT], Eric Ward rush for 18 yards to the UM31, 1ST DOWN RICHMOND (Shawn Lebsock).

Ward scrambles, knows how far he needs to get for the first, and all-American Colt Anderson has him lined up for a tackle at the 38, well short of the stick. Ward gets a little Rodney Landers-esque and runs right through the tackle. That set the tone early and I knew right there it was the Spiders' night.

I agree with that. I was surprised at how Montana would not wrap up the Richmond runners, especially Vaughn. They would lower a shoulder or try to arm tackle which had no effect.

Duke Dawg
December 21st, 2008, 12:26 PM
However, I do not buy for one minute that the Spiders had superior talent than Montana. Not for a minute.

Wow....a JMU fan says something like this after the Montana game, and we get ripped to shreads for 2 weeks straight.

Kind of ironic seeing this statement from a Grizzly fan. xeekx xnodx

Wolfman
December 21st, 2008, 12:33 PM

Then give me the screen pass plays which the Griz ran, if my statements were not supported by the "facts". The Griz threw zero screens. They threw one swing pass to Reynolds, which went for a one-yard gain. And, they threw a sloppy-looking shovel pass to Chase which somehow went for a firstdown. That was it! Period.

How many coaches in America, at any level, would allow their QB to take 7-8 sacks, and at least as many hurried throws, without keeping the defense honest with draw plays, screen passes, and dump-passes to the RB???? Enough said. xeyebrowx

Wolfman
December 21st, 2008, 12:39 PM

I want to clarify the fact that I have NEVER been "anti-Griz". I have been a staunch Griz supporter for many many years. I just have the gonads to admit when our coaches get out-coached. I have never liked Bobby Hauck as a coach, and I LOATHE Rob Phenicie, our O-coordinator. The basic design of our offense is flawed. Our passing game relies way too much on the 5-step drop, does not spread the ball around enough to the RBs and tight ends, has no hot receivers on blitzes, and throws almost zero screen passes to keep the rush honest. We have lived with this crap for six long years under this coaching staff. It gets old, year after year.

gbhmt
December 21st, 2008, 12:43 PM
I want to clarify the fact that I have NEVER been "anti-Griz". I have been a staunch Griz supporter for many many years. I just have the gonads to admit when our coaches get out-coached. I have never liked Bobby Hauck as a coach, and I LOATHE Rob Phenicie, our O-coordinator. The basic design of our offense is flawed. Our passing game relies way too much on the 5-step drop, does not spread the ball around enough to the RBs and tight ends, has no hot receivers on blitzes, and throws almost zero screen passes to keep the rush honest. We have lived with this crap for six long years under this coaching staff. It gets old, year after year.

Yeah I understand this, I was just trying to put it into Lehmann's terms for these people that you're a critical fan and as far from a sugar-coater as one could get.

Wolfman
December 21st, 2008, 12:48 PM
Yeah I understand this, I was just trying to put it into Lehmann's terms for these people that you're a critical fan and as far from a sugar-coater as one could get.

I agree with that.....xrolleyesx

Wolfman
December 21st, 2008, 12:53 PM

Oh, and one other thing. Posters on the Griz board are trying to link me with the poster "colevastin", or some screen name similar to this, who has also been a big Hauck-hater for years. I have to laugh, because I am not this poster. My IP address has been banned from egriz for at least 6-8 months now, and i have no access to that boardto post, only to read posts. Freedom of speech does not exist on that board....another great statement for Griznation, eh?

So, they can link those posts to me if they wish, but I did not make them. xthumbsupx

MacThor
December 21st, 2008, 02:35 PM
Then give me the screen pass plays which the Griz ran, if my statements were not supported by the "facts". The Griz threw zero screens. They threw one swing pass to Reynolds, which went for a one-yard gain. And, they threw a sloppy-looking shovel pass to Chase which somehow went for a firstdown. That was it! Period.

How many coaches in America, at any level, would allow their QB to take 7-8 sacks, and at least as many hurried throws, without keeping the defense honest with draw plays, screen passes, and dump-passes to the RB???? Enough said. xeyebrowx

I did that already, in post #20 to this thread.

Um 2-20 at Um15 [SHOT], Cole Bergquist middle pass incomplete to Chase Reynolds.
Um 1-10 at Um21 [SHOT], Cole Bergquist screen pass complete to Chase Reynolds for 5 yards to the UM26 (Michael Ireland;Patrick Weldon).
Um 1-10 at Um31 [SHOT], Cole Bergquist pass complete to Chase Reynolds for 2 yards to the UM33 (C. McConaghy).
Um 3-14 at Richmond35 [SHOT], Cole Bergquist screen pass complete to Chase Reynolds for 14 yards to the RICHMOND21, 1ST DOWN UM (Justin Rogers).
Um 1-10 at Um13 [SHOT], Cole Bergquist screen pass complete to Chase Reynolds for 1 yard to the UM14 (Eric McBride).

You also said the key series was 3 incomplete passes and a punt, down 14-0. That didn't happen.

Green26
December 21st, 2008, 06:45 PM
One of the problems with this "analysis" is that it's not based on the facts.

UM did not abandon the run after the first quarter.

UM did in fact throw some screen passes, passes to the running back, and swing passes.

This "Wolman" poster starts with the premise that the head coach and OC are bad coaches, and then tries to figure out a way to blame them. When there isn't much to blame on them, he then starts making up "facts".

blukeys
December 21st, 2008, 07:41 PM
One of the problems with this "analysis" is that it's not based on the facts.

UM did not abandon the run after the first quarter.

UM did in fact throw some screen passes, passes to the running back, and swing passes.

This "Wolman" poster starts with the premise that the head coach and OC are bad coaches, and then tries to figure out a way to blame them. When there isn't much to blame on them, he then starts making up "facts".

Wow, someone who watched the same game I saw. Based on what I saw Montana was a well coached team. However on the basics Richmond was the much better team.

Coaches do not:
1. Block anyone
2. Tackle anyone
3. Run the ball
4. Pass the ball
5 Catch the ball

Coaches only try to teach these skills and Richmond did all of the above better then Montana.

Woman has yet to learn these basics so he is trying to lay blame on the coach that he hates. This is really funny. Woman has a really lame analysis because he hates Hauck. Be careful of your wishes, You could wind up with a worse coach than Hauck, :D :D :D :D

SeattleGriz
December 21st, 2008, 10:13 PM
I wanted Montana to win... but they did indeed get handled xnodx

Just rewatched the game, and I am starting to believe the Griz gave the game away as much as Richmond took it.

Still have to finish rewatching, but I am just starting the 4th and Richmond actually didn't do a whole lot to stop the Griz. They seemed to do it to themselves.

For those of you who think I am deluded, I understand that because I saw the same ass whoopin as you, but give me a couple days to back up my blather. I will post a cogent thread soon.

That, and Woman is about the weakest person I have ever ran into. I don't know about all of you who read this thread, but I imagine you either competed in some sport, or just love competition. Woman displays the worst of attitudes. The person that is always negative. The person that is defeated when another team scores points. The it that folds when going gets tough. Give it up woman.

lknspider
December 22nd, 2008, 09:13 AM
[QUOTE=SeattleGriz;1268765]Just rewatched the game, and I am starting to believe the Griz gave the game away as much as Richmond took it.

Griz were never in the game after the first long pass completion (and a great catch it was!) Spiders' second half offense was conservative and never had to get back in gear! Griz were overmatched!

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 22nd, 2008, 09:27 AM
I still don't know why there is this much discussion about the game. The fact remains that Richmond did their thing, Montana didn't. I will never buy for a minute that the Griz were over-matched or had inferior athletes. The simple fact is, they didn't get the job done and got beat. You can beat me up all you want, but I still think Montana had every piece they needed to win the game, they just didn't put them together like Richmond did and that is why the Spiders are the NC this year and deservedly so. It's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. I am over it, looking forward to next year xpeacex

Green26
December 22nd, 2008, 10:38 AM
I agree with you, GFUtah. The game would be different if it were played today. Richmond played very well, and make more plays than UM, especially in the first half.

UM needed to stop Richmond from converting 3 third downs on the first drive, including the 3rd and 15 scramble. UM needed to score on its first drive, from 1st and goal from the 6. UM needed to punt and cover better, and not keep giving Richmond a short field. UM need to complete a few more passes, which UM had generally done in prior games. UM needed to tackle better, especially in the first half. UM needed to block the punt in the second half, when our rusher overran the punt (he could have either tackled the punter or blocked the punt). The 0-line needed to protect a bit better (altho those d-ends were terrific). UM needed a few less penalties and turnovers.

It would have been nice to have Bergquist without a leg injury (on the first drive), which clearly impacted his mobility. It would have been nice to have healthier o-line, i.e. Russum (who is having surgery tomorrow, I believe), Dyk (the paper said he was playing hurt), and Hillesland (who went out). However, injuries are part of football, and we didn't have the luxury of having these guys at full speed.

Give us a TD on our first drive and a blocked punt in the second half, and it would have been a different game. Despite UM getten beaten fairly bad, look at the closeness of the stats.

All that being said, Richmond was a very good team, which played very well and made more big and key plays than UM. They beat UM in most facets of the game and deserved to win the game. Hats off to Richmond. Great team, great season, nice fans. Great FCS champion.

Chi-towngrizzly
December 22nd, 2008, 11:26 AM
Looks like the sour grapes brigade is out in full force!

We got out lily-white behinds WHOOPED in that game.

We would lose that game 49 out of 50 times. Chase and Cole both were getting caught from BEHIND at the line of scrimmage by the UR defenders. There was that much pressure. Did we double team their stud DE at all? I don't remember, but if we did, it had ZERO effect.

Mariani was the only player on the field making it happen and you wonder why Pheny insisted on throwing the ball every down?

But yes, Wolfie, the coaching was atrocious. The P fouls, especially the chop-block were INSANE. Hauck has been accused of teaching the chop by several opposing coaches and it looks like he finally got caught, on national TV no less. Hauck seems to preach a "thug" mentality that is reflected by the ridiculous number of stupid penalties. Before someone responds saying that the Griz just couldn't handle the pressure of the NC game, please note the Griz get TONS of personal fouls ALL the time.

Oh, and benching Cole was maybe the coldest thing I have ever seen in my life.

"Maybe" next year?

SeattleGriz
December 22nd, 2008, 01:21 PM
Griz were never in the game after the first long pass completion (and a great catch it was!) Spiders' second half offense was conservative and never had to get back in gear! Griz were overmatched!

I agree. My point is that after I have rewatched it, I see where there were opportunities there for the Griz to get back in it, they just didn't make the plays that were needed.

Essentially, I went from, "Wow, we got crushed by Richmond" to "Wow, we got crushed by Richmond, but we sure did shoot ourselves in the foot numerous times."

ChickenMan
December 22nd, 2008, 01:47 PM
Richmond really did dominate the game. After Montana's first drive.. the Griz offense didn't do much at all until the 4th quarter when they were down 0-21. UR contolled the Griz running game and put a lot of pressure on the Montana QB. UR had enough points to win at the half and they knew it.. so they went very conservative in the 2d half.. making sure that they didn't give the Griz any gift points. A smart move considering the way the Spiders were playing defense. The score.. 24-7 was a good indicator of the margin of play.

Green26
December 22nd, 2008, 05:21 PM
Richmond dominated the first half, but not the second half. The stats for the game were relatively even, except for the important ones of score and turnovers. Had UM scored a TD on the first drive and blocked the 2nd half punt that they overran, it would have been a different game.

putter
December 22nd, 2008, 05:30 PM

We would lose that game 49 out of 50 times. Chase and Cole both were getting caught from BEHIND at the line of scrimmage by the UR defenders. There was that much pressure. Did we double team their stud DE at all? I don't remember, but if we did, it had ZERO effect.

Mariani was the only player on the field making it happen and you wonder why Pheny insisted on throwing the ball every down?

But yes, Wolfie, the coaching was atrocious. The P fouls, especially the chop-block were INSANE. Hauck has been accused of teaching the chop by several opposing coaches and it looks like he finally got caught, on national TV no less. Hauck seems to preach a "thug" mentality that is reflected by the ridiculous number of stupid penalties. Before someone responds saying that the Griz just couldn't handle the pressure of the NC game, please note the Griz get TONS of personal fouls ALL the time.

"Maybe" next year?

Watch the "chop block" again. The kid put his head down to block the Richmond defender and he went right around him. The Griz player fell right into the ground because the guy he was blocking ran by him. When he went down he clipped the ankle of the lineman. It was not a classic chop block. Watch it again....

Grizalltheway
December 22nd, 2008, 05:38 PM

"Maybe" next year?

Let me guess what your pre-season predictions for the Griz were: 6-6, at best, and Hauck leaves in disgrace. xrolleyesx

Chi-towngrizzly
December 22nd, 2008, 06:16 PM
Let me guess what your pre-season predictions for the Griz were: 6-6, at best, and Hauck leaves in disgrace. xrolleyesx

No, I guessed 9-3 and a first round playoff exit.

Hauck exceeded my expectations.

I would never be so stupid to think that Hauck leaving in disgrace is a possibility. I think Dennison would make Bobby his successor if he could. The old-timers love Hauck. They think he's going to go off the to NFL win a bunch of Super Bowls and donate a ton of money to the school.

I think he's going to go coach a sub-bcs school and get embarassed.

Umass74
December 22nd, 2008, 06:51 PM
I don't think the chop block was intentional. The Griz offensive lineman tried to block a Spider and whiffed. He ended up falling on the legs of another Richmond player. The ref made the correct call, cause it doesn't matter if it was intentional or not, but I don't think it was a dirty play.

boonegoon
December 22nd, 2008, 07:12 PM
I agree. My point is that after I have rewatched it, I see where there were opportunities there for the Griz to get back in it, they just didn't make the plays that were needed.

Essentially, I went from, "Wow, we got crushed by Richmond" to "Wow, we got crushed by Richmond, but we sure did shoot ourselves in the foot numerous times."

Don't feel bad. I felt the same way when App got whooped. We had our chances but... If ifs and buts were candy and nuts. then everyday would be Christmas.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 22nd, 2008, 07:36 PM
I don't think the chop block was intentional. The Griz offensive lineman tried to block a Spider and whiffed. He ended up falling on the legs of another Richmond player. The ref made the correct call, cause it doesn't matter if it was intentional or not, but I don't think it was a dirty play.

That was how I saw it as well, unintentional and should have been called. Some of the late hits were stupid penalties, but if you have read my posts before, some of that is on the way the whistles have been this year, very inconsistent. xtwocentsx

MacThor
December 22nd, 2008, 07:44 PM
Had UM scored a TD on the first drive and blocked the 2nd half punt that they overran, it would have been a different game.

Had different things happened, it would have been different.

Wolfman
December 22nd, 2008, 08:29 PM
After all of the pontification read in this thread, I will state that I firmly believe that this NC game got started with Richmond executing its offense to the tee, making big plays when it needed to, and forcing Montana to deviate (much too soon, I might add) from its game plan.

Did Richmond have better athletes? No way! Could Richmond defeat Montana every time they played? No Way!

But, on this night in Chattanooga, Richmond played error-less football, called the right plays at the right times, scored early, and forced Montana to play right into their hands.......making The Griz a "passing team".

It was just not to be for Montana on this night. As a fan and obderver, one could feel it happening almost from the opening kickoff. It just was not going to be Montana's night.

I do believe that the Griz had a solid chance of getting back into the game, in the second quarter, down 14-0. However, Hauck and Phenicie removed any chance we had by panicking, and abandoning the things on offense that had allowed us to beat Texas State, Weber, and James Madson. Once again, coaching, or, lack of it.

Bobby Hauck is snake-bitten in the really big games. He does not possess the horsepower to make the changes necessary, during a big game, to win. He is fine, as long as his pre-game srategy is working on the field. But, if he has to make adjustments during the game, and go tit-for-tat in a chess match against the opposing coach, he will lose every time.

This is the brutal truth that we Griz fans must live with......

placidlakegriz
December 22nd, 2008, 08:54 PM
After all of the pontification read in this thread, I will state that I firmly believe that this NC game got started with Richmond executing its offense to the tee, making big plays when it needed to, and forcing Montana to deviate (much too soon, I might add) from its game plan.

Did Richmond have better athletes? No way! Could Richmond defeat Montana every time they played? No Way!

But, on this night in Chattanooga, Richmond played error-less football, called the right plays at the right times, scored early, and forced Montana to play right into their hands.......making The Griz a "passing team".

It was just not to be for Montana on this night. As a fan and obderver, one could feel it happening almost from the opening kickoff. It just was not going to be Montana's night.

I do believe that the Griz had a solid chance of getting back into the game, in the second quarter, down 14-0. However, Hauck and Phenicie removed any chance we had by panicking, and abandoning the things on offense that had allowed us to beat Texas State, Weber, and James Madson. Once again, coaching, or, lack of it.

Bobby Hauck is snake-bitten in the really big games. He does not possess the horsepower to make the changes necessary, during a big game, to win. He is fine, as long as his pre-game srategy is working on the field. But, if he has to make adjustments during the game, and go tit-for-tat in a chess match against the opposing coach, he will lose every time.

This is the brutal truth that we Griz fans must live with......

And I'm ok with that....

Grizo406
December 22nd, 2008, 09:26 PM
And I'm ok with that....

To some extent, I agree.

Did Wolfman post an "analysis" of the JMU game? That was a pretty big one, and all things seem to indicate that Bobby & crew weren't "snake-bitten" in that one!??!

Green26
December 22nd, 2008, 11:53 PM
Had different things happened, it would have been different.

Okay, tell us how much they would have been different.

Wolfman
December 23rd, 2008, 12:39 PM
To some extent, I agree.

Did Wolfman post an "analysis" of the JMU game? That was a pretty big one, and all things seem to indicate that Bobby & crew weren't "snake-bitten" in that one!??!

To any knowledeable football fan who watched the Montana/JMU game, it was very obvious why Montana won that game. Turnovers by JMU. The supoosed "sour grapes" by so many JMU fans, and even their head coach, were caused by the fact that they knew that their team was not inferior to Montana, and that they would have won the game if not for the 4 turnovers.

Of course, we all know that turnovers are part of the game, and three of the four JMU turnovers were a direct result of the Griz players stripping the ball.

However, the point of my post analyzing the Richmond game, was that Montana lost this game NOT because of the two UM turnovers, but because Hauck/Phenicie panicked much too early, and gave up their strength on offense, the running game with Chase setting up a controlled passing game. It boiled down to coaching, no matter how you slice it.

Hauck made no coaching adjustments in the JMU game which were obvious to observers, because his defense never did stop JMU, even without Landers in the game. The Griz won simply because they avoided turnovers, excuted their offense well, and forced JMU into 4 turnovers.

However, in the Richmond game, Hauck's coaching hand was forced early because his team was down by 14 almost immediately. You saw how he handled it. Very poorly, in my opinion, and in the opinion of many AGS posters who were not Griz fans, but watched the game.

The facts about Hauck's coaching ability, or lack thereof, have always been hard for you and Greenie to swallow, Grizo. He's great against over-matched Big Sky teams, and body-bag non-conference games. He even manages sometimes to win early-round playoff games, always played in the friendly confines of Wash/Griz stadium. But, as Alpha correctly stated, Hauck will never win the big one, the big Kahuna, the National Championship. If you are O.K. with that fact, so be it. I am not.

Green26
December 23rd, 2008, 01:15 PM
As I said, Wolfman makes up his "facts". The drive chart and play-by-play does not support that UM went away from the running game early. For Hauck haters like Wolfman, he would have been arguing that Hauck didn't go the pass soon enough, had UM stayed with the run game too long and lost.

Hauck has consistently won big games, and that's why UM has won more games during Hauck's tenure than any other I-AA team. Just this year, UM beat Cal Poly on the road, rival Mont. St., Texas St., Weber in the playoffs, and JMU on the road. UM has won lots of big games in prior years. The Big Sky was one of the top 3 conferences this year, and has been one of the top 3 conferences during the 6 years BH has coached.

It's absolutely silly to say that any coach who gets his team to the national championship can't win the big game. By getting to the national championship, the coach has, by definition, won big games. To say that a coach (who has gotten his team to the semis in 3 of 6 years and to the finals in 2 of 6 years) can't win a national championship is just plain silly.

Had UM won the championship, people like Wolfman would have been saying UM was lucky, and the players won the championship despite the coaches. This is just the nature of coach haters and bad fans.

Wolfman
December 23rd, 2008, 01:26 PM
As I said, Wolfman makes up his "facts". The drive chart and play-by-play does not support that UM went away from the running game early. For Hauck haters like Wolfman, he would have been arguing that Hauck didn't go the pass soon enough, had UM stayed with the run game too long and lost.

Hauck has consistently won big games, and that's why UM has won more games during Hauck's tenure than any other I-AA team. Just this year, UM beat Cal Poly on the road, rival Mont. St., Texas St., Weber in the playoffs, and JMU on the road. UM has won lots of big games in prior years. The Big Sky was one of the top 3 conferences this year, and has been one of the top 3 conferences during the 6 years BH has coached.

It's absolutely silly to say that any coach who gets his team to the national championship can't win the big game. By getting to the national championship, the coach has, by definition, won big games. To say that a coach (who has gotten his team to the semis in 3 of 6 years and to the finals in 2 of 6 years) can't win a national championship is just plain silly.

Had UM won the championship, people like Wolfman would have been saying UM was lucky, and the players won the championship despite the coaches. This is just the nature of coach haters and bad fans.

National fans should understand that Green26 thinks he is Bobby Hauck's personal PR agent, and rushes to defend his coaching, which he has had to do on many occasions, because of the obvious. Hauck has won exactly ONE away playoff game, and that was this year's JMU game. He has had the luxury of playing all other playoff games, including last year's semi-final game versus UMASS, at home. Yet, he has lost several of these home playoff games, including 3 first round home playoff games to un-seeded teams. His playoff record on the neutral field for the NC is 0-2.

I think any reasonable observer would view these playoff losses, at home, along with his 0-2 NC record, and conclude that he has trouble winning the big game, even when heavily favored. By the way, the Griz were favored in both NC games, and Hauck lost both. 'Nuff said.

Green26
December 23rd, 2008, 01:39 PM
UM's win over JMU on the road is the first road playoff win in UM history. Obviously, no other UM coach has been able to do this. This doesn't include UM's 2 national championship games. Looked at another way, Hauck has never lost a road playoff game (excluding national championship games).

In Hauck's 6 years, UM has won more playoff games than any team other than App St.--if my recollection on this is correct (I think UM surpassed or at least tied Delaware this year).

Any playoff team that doesn't win the national championship is going to have a playoff loss, by definition.

Of course, UM has lost the first round home playoff games to non-seeded teams, because seeded teams get home games and wouldn't be playing in Griz stadium.

The loss to UMass in the semis was on '06, not last year.

Other than App St, no other team has been to the semis 3 times in the past 6 years, to my recollection.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 23rd, 2008, 02:17 PM
I'm not gonna go back and look at the play by play, but it sure seemed to me the Griz either made or let themselves become one dimensional. That dimension was passing and even though it is a part of their game, what got them there was running it. It sure seemed to me they abandoned the run too early. xtwocentsx xdeadhorsex

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 23rd, 2008, 02:28 PM
I'm not gonna go back and look at the play by play, but it sure seemed to me the Griz either made or let themselves become one dimensional. That dimension was passing and even though it is a part of their game, what got them there was running it. It sure seemed to me they abandoned the run too early. xtwocentsx xdeadhorsex

I just want to say something to the Grizzly fans that think Hauck is an awful coach:

In addition to being a Spiders fan, I am a Giants fan (yeah, 2008 was a darn good year). See the 2007-2008 Giants. At the end of the regular season, Giants fans wanted to see the team lose games so Tom Coughlin would get fired. They were also done with Eli Manning. The rest is history.

The lesson that I learned is that keeping continuity in your leadership will pay off. Hang in there. Hauck is a good coach. If he wasn't, you wouldn't have been in the Championship game. Nor would you have made the playoffs most every year.

Here's the reason I think the Grizzlies lost to the Spiders that no one is mentioning: The Grizzlies were at a huge emotional disadvantage to have just beat the #1 team and top team in the CAA and subsequently play the #3 team in the CAA. How could they not go into the game expecting to win? You could even see it in the Grizzly fans in Chattanooga. You all expected to win because you had already beaten the 'better' CAA team, right?

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 23rd, 2008, 02:34 PM
I just want to say something to the Grizzly fans that think Hauck is an awful coach:

In addition to being a Spiders fan, I am a Giants fan (yeah, 2008 was a darn good year). See the 2007-2008 Giants. At the end of the regular season, Giants fans wanted to see the team lose games so Tom Coughlin would get fired. They were also done with Eli Manning. The rest is history.

The lesson that I learned is that keeping continuity in your leadership will pay off. Hang in there. Hauck is a good coach. If he wasn't, you wouldn't have been in the Championship game. Nor would you have made the playoffs most every year.

Here's the reason I think the Grizzlies lost to the Spiders that no one is mentioning: The Grizzlies were at a huge emotional disadvantage to have just beat the #1 team and top team in the CAA and subsequently play the #3 team in the CAA. How could they not go into the game expecting to win? You could even see it in the Grizzly fans in Chattanooga. You all expected to win because you had already beaten the 'better' CAA team, right?

I like Hauck personally, I was just addressing the run/pass thing. I kind of agree with some of what Woflman says on that part, but I hope it comes across a lot different.

If you play the game, you will get beat, I have no problems with that. The only way to never loose is not get on the field in the first place xpeacex

Green26
December 23rd, 2008, 02:52 PM
Utah, if you're not going to look at the drive chart, i.e. the facts, then you're not going to see that the drive chart does not support what Wolfman says. I too wondered whether we went away from the run too soon, but after looking at the drive chart, it doesn't support that view.

After the first drive of the game, UM had only 8 more offensive plays in the first half and only 1 play (a scramble) in the last 9 minutes of the half. If you look at those drives, either the passes were successful or they came in longer yardage situations.

Same for the 3rd quarter.

1st drive of second half. Run, called back for penalty. Then, screen pass complete to CR, run by CR, and completed pass for first down on play action roll out to tight end. Then, pass for FD. Then, incomplete pass (okay maybe we should have run on first down), run for 3 yards and 15 yard penalty, sack on 3rd and 22, punt.

Second series of 2nd half starts with 4:44 to go in 3rd, and down by 21. Run by CR on first down. Then 2 incomplete passes and punt. Play-by-play refers to 3rd down incomplete pass as a drop.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 23rd, 2008, 03:07 PM
Utah, if you're not going to look at the drive chart, i.e. the facts, then you're not going to see that the drive chart does not support what Wolfman says. I too wondered whether we went away from the run too soon, but after looking at the drive chart, it doesn't support that view.

After the first drive of the game, UM had only 8 more offensive plays in the first half and only 1 play (a scramble) in the last 9 minutes of the half. If you look at those drives, either the passes were successful or they came in longer yardage situations.

Same for the 3rd quarter.

1st drive of second half. Run, called back for penalty. Then, screen pass complete to CR, run by CR, and completed pass for first down on play action roll out to tight end. Then, pass for FD. Then, incomplete pass (okay maybe we should have run on first down), run for 3 yards and 15 yard penalty, sack on 3rd and 22, punt.

Second series of 2nd half starts with 4:44 to go in 3rd, and down by 21. Run by CR on first down. Then 2 incomplete passes and punt. Play-by-play refers to 3rd down incomplete pass as a drop.

It's too painful to go back. I am just going by how I remember it feeling during the game. It's a moot point to me, but I can see how someone would think we didn't try and run it. Felt that way to me xpeacex

Griz40
December 23rd, 2008, 05:33 PM

I have read through most of the NC threads and enjoyed reading them (sadly I had to live vicariously through those who were there)....no one can say who would win the greater out of 10 games because that won't ever happen....but the week prior to the NC game I was on a high...and then on Thursday I realized I might just be riding a high off the previous game - and then got a cold feeling in my stomach. I prayed that the Griz were not on the same high that I was on. Either of these two teams could have won this game. We got handled on that night. They could have been handled as well...on any other night by this very same Griz team...but I was watching this game during the first two offensive drives thinking to myself we are on a hangover thinking we should just win by showing up because we beat JMU, the number one team at home (a first for us on the road). Now I do admit that these are my own feelings and not any of the kids who were playing...but these sentiments in bold struck me clear and true. Richmond....good game...great team and I wish you guys the best of luck in the future. From what I have read, your fans in Chatty were classy and exactly the type of fans the FCS should be proud of. We will be back because we are the Griz. We have a great, storied, national FCS history over the past 15 years and will continue that tradition.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 23rd, 2008, 05:55 PM
I have read through most of the NC threads and enjoyed reading them (sadly I had to live vicariously through those who were there)....no one can say who would win the greater out of 10 games because that won't ever happen....but the week prior to the NC game I was on a high...and then on Thursday I realized I might just be riding a high off the previous game - and then got a cold feeling in my stomach. I prayed that the Griz were not on the same high that I was on. Either of these two teams could have won this game. We got handled on that night. They could have been handled as well...on any other night by this very same Griz team...but I was watching this game during the first two offensive drives thinking to myself we are on a hangover thinking we should just win by showing up because we beat JMU, the number one team at home (a first for us on the road). Now I do admit that these are my own feelings and not any of the kids who were playing...but these sentiments in bold struck me clear and true. Richmond....good game...great team and I wish you guys the best of luck in the future. From what I have read, your fans in Chatty were classy and exactly the type of fans the FCS should be proud of. We will be back because we are the Griz. We have a great, storied, national FCS history over the past 15 years and will continue that tradition.

As far as the fans go I think BigHouseClosedEnd makes a real good point. I also don't know if the team felt this way at all but I do know that most of the fans did. Every conversation I had with other fans was a sense of we will win this game because of what happened in the two games the week before. I said to many of our fans that I hoped the team had a different point of reference than they did because Richmond was still the same team that had beaten App at their place two weeks prior by a score of 33-13 and that was an equal feat in my mind as to what we did at JMU and probably a greater one.

Green26
December 23rd, 2008, 06:21 PM
Every UM fan I talked to before the game felt that it would be a tough game, but UM had a good chance to win the game if UM played well. I didn't talk to a single person who thought the Griz were going to cruise in and win the game.

While UM didn't play well, especially in the first half--and that may have occurred for some of the reasons mentioned--I don't think it was because the team was overconfident.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 23rd, 2008, 06:32 PM
I didn't say that the Grizzlies were over-confident. I just thought they were at an 'emotional disadvantage'. Call it 'intangibles', whatever.

It had to be a hard to maintain the high of the JMU win. Just like it was hard for us to maintain the high of the App State win. The following week at UNI wasn't our best performance. We were fortunate to win.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 23rd, 2008, 06:50 PM
I didn't say that the Grizzlies were over-confident. I just thought they were at an 'emotional disadvantage'. Call it 'intangibles', whatever.

It had to be a hard to maintain the high of the JMU win. Just like it was hard for us to maintain the high of the App State win. The following week at UNI wasn't our best performance. We were fortunate to win.

I think that's spot on.

Green26, we must have split em' up pretty good then because a lot more than usual (not saying all) thought we couldn't be beat. That has no affect on the team anyway but like I said I heard a lot of the "they barely snuck by UNI" type of thing. In context they were not saying UNI was subpar but that Richmond may have just been feeling lucky to be there.

Wolfman
December 23rd, 2008, 08:12 PM

I think you make a great point about the Griz players being at an emotional disadvantage in this game. Not only had the beaten the #1 team, on their own playing field, but they had all watched Richmond get out-played against Northern Iowa, but sqeak out a win. I am sure that the Griz players thought that playing Richmond would be no harder than playing Weber State, or even Texas State. Then, the look up and are down 14-0.

As I said in an earlier post, you could see in the Griz players faces, and in the Griz coaches, a look of disbelief with the score at 14-0. I truly believe that they were shell-shocked to be down by two big ones that early.

grizband
December 24th, 2008, 12:00 AM
I think you make a great point about the Griz players being at an emotional disadvantage in this game. Not only had the beaten the #1 team, on their own playing field, but they had all watched Richmond get out-played against Northern Iowa, but sqeak out a win. I am sure that the Griz players thought that playing Richmond would be no harder than playing Weber State, or even Texas State. Then, the look up and are down 14-0.

As I said in an earlier post, you could see in the Griz players faces, and in the Griz coaches, a look of disbelief with the score at 14-0. I truly believe that they were shell-shocked to be down by two big ones that early.
I completely agree. Its almost as if, and I hate to say this, that JMU was our national title game.

MacThor
December 24th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Okay, tell us how much they would have been different.

Hmmm...."If UR doesn't completely botch the clock management at the end of the first half, they're up 28-0 and it's a different game."

I was merely pointing out the absurdity of the "if [insert something that didn't happen] happened, it would have been a different game" argument. Of course it would....by changing the result of a play/series, it's obviously a different game. I prefer to analyze reality.

BTW, I'm in complete agreement with you on Wolfman's "analysis." xeyebrowx