PDA

View Full Version : Voting Breakdown for Payton and Buchanan

smallcollegefbfan
December 20th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I was looking at the voting and noticed that Greg Peach was only in 78 of the 102 ballots cast. Makes you wonder who left him off completely and if they really thought that 5 other players were better than him this year or if there was some regional bias there?

Also, looking at the Payton voting and you will find it funny a decent amount of people completely left off the winner Edwards and Rodney Landers. Edwards was on 94 of the 102 ballots. Makes you wonder who the 8 people were who did not think he was even in the top 5? Another surprising stat is the amount of people who left off Landers. Landers was only on 74 of the 102 ballots. How could someone leave him off as well?

I would like to see the regional breakdown of those who left those two off.

The whole reason I brought this topic up is because I saw them talking about the Heisman breakdown and how some voters left Tebow completely off teh ballot in the southwest and mid-west, two areas dominated by Bradford and McCoy.

Do we have voters potentially trying to hurt players? I am not suggesting they are but merely putting out some food for thought and allow everyone to come up with their own opinion. all of our posters aware of the numbers and bringing up a topic that would be interesting to see the views of others on AGS. So, what do you AGSers think?

Screamin_Eagle174
December 20th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I would say so... that some voters are unfairly leaving the best candidate off because they want their home pick. By those numbers, almost a quarter of voters left Peach off their ballot, but he still won by the widest margin in Buchanan history! Which means that almost three-quarters thought he was the best by far, and 1/4 didn't deem him worthy at all. Something is seriously wrong there.

TexasTerror
December 20th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Had Greg Peach third on my BB ballot. :)

BeauFoster
December 20th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Had Greg Peach third on my BB ballot. :)

And you didn't have Edwards on your ballot at all. So you were half right and half wrong. AE had one of the largest margins of victory in the history of the award but you didn't think he deserved to be in the top 5.

smallcollegefbfan
December 20th, 2008, 09:08 PM
And you didn't have Edwards on your ballot at all. So you were half right and half wrong. AE had one of the largest margins of victory in the history of the award but you didn't think he deserved to be in the top 5.

For the record I had the top 3 for both awards exact on my ballot.

One thing to notice is many voters don't like to see the same player win a major award like the Heisman, Payton or Buchanan two times in their career.

Coakley winning the Buchanan just shows that he is by far the best LB in FCS history that he could overcome those odds to win it twice.

Look at players like Adrian Peterson who should have won the award twice and did not do it because many voters totally left him off their ballot the second or third time around.

Armanti Edwards is going to be the Payton front runner for next year but will have a hill to climb to win it because of that bias against giving the award twice to one player. One thing to think about is that he could even improve his numbers next year and still won't win if anyone else has close to the same production because of that bias against giving an award multiple times to one person.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 20th, 2008, 09:14 PM
For the record I had the top 3 for both awards exact on my ballot.

One thing to notice is many voters don't like to see the same player win a major award like the Heisman, Payton or Buchanan two times in their career.

Coakley winning the Buchanan just shows that he is by far the best LB in FCS history that he could overcome those odds to win it twice.

Look at players like Adrian Peterson who should have won the award twice and did not do it because many voters totally left him off their ballot the second or third time around.

Armanti Edwards is going to be the Payton front runner for next year but will have a hill to climb to win it because of that bias against giving the award twice to one player. One thing to think about is that he could even improve his numbers next year and still won't win if anyone else has close to the same production because of that bias against giving an award multiple times to one person.

True. I mean, look at Tebow... he got hosed in the Heisman voting. Although I'd say McCoy was a little more deserving than Tebow, Both were more deserving in my eyes than Bradford... he's just too one-dimensional.

TexasTerror
December 20th, 2008, 09:58 PM

If he tops his numbers from this year next year, he may have a shot at cracking my ballot! xthumbsupx

BigApp
December 22nd, 2008, 12:06 PM
Also, looking at the Payton voting and you will find it funny a decent amount of people completely left off the winner Edwards and Rodney Landers. Edwards was on 94 of the 102 ballots. Makes you wonder who the 8 people were who did not think he was even in the top 5? Another surprising stat is the amount of people who left off Landers. Landers was only on 74 of the 102 ballots. How could someone leave him off as well?

I've been trying to get a straight answer on this from TexasTerror (who doesn't think Edwards is a Top 5 player in FCS, but to no avail (yet). His defense so far has been to ignore the topic.

Do we have voters potentially trying to hurt players?

Sadly, that's about the only logical explanation left.

BigApp
December 22nd, 2008, 12:06 PM
If he tops his numbers from this year next year, he may have a shot at cracking my ballot! xthumbsupx

so, which Southland player is the early leader to get your #1 vote next year?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 22nd, 2008, 12:11 PM
I guess you could make a case for folks trying to make sure some folks don't get voted in since there are five slots. Having said that, it's anyone's perogative to do that if they want - but TSN might reserve the right to reject that ballot if I (say) voted in five Lehigh players.

FTR I had Landers as my No. 1, and I also had Armanti on my ballot, too. I also voted in Greg Peach. (I also had one write-in candidate on defense.) So I'm neutral in this fight.

jimbo65
December 22nd, 2008, 12:32 PM
The whole reason I brought this topic up is because I saw them talking about the Heisman breakdown and how some voters left Tebow completely off teh ballot in the southwest and mid-west, two areas dominated by Bradford and McCoy.

Do we have voters potentially trying to hurt players? I am not suggesting they are but merely putting out some food for thought and allow everyone to come up with their own opinion. all of our posters aware of the numbers and bringing up a topic that would be interesting to see the views of others on AGS. So, what do you AGSers think?

Dont know the particulars of the cases you site, but certainly appears to be an effort to restrict votes for a candidate(s) in competition with the voter's choice(s) Another variation is called "Bullet Voting". Say there are four candidates for three open trustee or school board seats. The advocates for a particular candidate only vote for their choice and do not cast votes for any other candidate thereby repressing the vote count. This approach is employed by single issue groups or ethnic/religious groups to offset mathematical minority status.

BarefootApp
December 22nd, 2008, 01:14 PM
Here's what I don't get....CSN, calls itself the home of FCS, has absolutely NO articles on either the Buchanan or the Payton awards. It's running all kinds of other things, which is fine, but where is the pride in our version of the Heisman and the highest defensive award? Am I missing something?

JMU Newbill
December 22nd, 2008, 02:41 PM
How either AE or Landers gets left on a ballot is beyond my understanding. Is it really that hard to believe though? Homers exist outside of message boards you know!?!?