PDA

View Full Version : UR Should be 09' Preseason #1

BDKJMU
December 20th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Looking at the UR 2 deep on the UR press release from this past week:

Offense: 7 starters returning
-4 of 5 starting o-lineman returning, including 1st team All CAA McCracken at LG (He's made at least one AA list), and 2nd team All CAA Silva at RT.
-Ward at QB
-Grayson at receiver, 1st team All CAA

Lose:
-Starting RG
-Vaughn at TB, 1st team All CAA
-Crone at FB, 2nd Team All CAA
-Both tightends on 2 deep

Defense: 9 starters returning:
-McBride at LB, 1st team All CAA
-McConaghy at LB, 3rd team All CAA
-Rogers at CB, 1st team All CAA

Only lose 2 bookends:
-Sidbury, 1st team All CAA, AA
-Logan, 2nd team All CAA

I'd say given the history of at least the last 5 NC winners (UD, JMU, ASU, ASU, ASU) being pre season #1 the following season, UR having 16 starters returning, including their QB, they'll be pre season #1 probably in both major polls.

Chime in ASU fans who say they should be pre season #1 in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1,

Touchdown Yosef
December 20th, 2008, 11:25 AM
No question UR is the preseason #1 in my book. They bring back the core of players who know how to get it done and get it done on the road. They were number 2 in my preseason poll this year but it took them a while to hit their stride with a new coach and when they did they played like champions. There is no question that they should be the preseason number one, they will play a tough CAA schedule and will put that ranking on the line every week.

Is Montana the preseason number 2?

Chi Panther
December 20th, 2008, 11:26 AM

-4 of 5 starting o-lineman returning, including 1st team All CAA McCracken at LG (He's made at least one AA list), and 2nd team All CAA Silva at RT.
-Ward at QB

Lose:

Only lose 2 bookends:
-Logan, 2nd team All CAA

I'd say given the history of at least the last 5 NC winners (UD, JMU, ASU, ASU, ASU) being pre season #1 the following season, UR having 16 starters returning, including their QB, they'll be pre season #1 probably in both major polls.

I agree.

Richmond #1
IF Armanti is ever healthy again...App State #2

UNI returns 9 offenseive starters
Both Punter and Kicker
Defense loses some in the secondary, but Ruffin was only a Junior
We might be better next year.

Saint3333
December 20th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Being preseason #1 doesn't matter. UR will likely be #1 in my book.

If ASU gets Gary Tharrington back and AE is healthy I wouldn't fault anyone voting them #1 though.

BDKJMU
December 20th, 2008, 11:32 AM
No question UR is the preseason #1 in my book. They bring back the core of players who know how to get it done and get it done on the road. They were number 2 in my preseason poll this year but it took them a while to hit their stride with a new coach and when they did they played like champions. There is no question that they should be the preseason number one, they will play a tough CAA schedule and will put that ranking on the line every week.

Is Montana the preseason number 2?

Not when they lose half (11) of their starters, including Berquist & Colt Anderson. But I'm sure they'll be preseason top 10, if not top 5.

LehighFan11
December 20th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Yea Richmond is #1 with Ward coming back.

App St is probably 2.

FCS Preview
December 20th, 2008, 11:36 AM
The defending champs should always be pre-season #1, and stay there until they lose to a FCS school, IMO.

ericsaid
December 20th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Being preseason #1 doesn't matter. UR will likely be #1 in my book.

If ASU gets Gary Tharrington back and AE is healthy I wouldn't fault anyone voting them #1 though.

App also gets Devon Moore back and tony Robertson and Dominique McDuffie and only lose Pierre Bands and two offensive linemen.

10 starters on defense returning
8 starters on offense.

GATA
December 20th, 2008, 01:08 PM
The real question is where should JMU be?

I'll say 15...because it's a nice number and they'll have no Landers.

mcveyrl
December 20th, 2008, 01:14 PM
The real question is where should JMU be?

I'll say 15...because it's a nice number and they'll have no Landers.

Why is that the REAL question? xconfusedx xrolleyesx (some people can't let things go)

We lose a lot more than Landers. I wouldn't be surprised to see us in the 10-15 range.

Back OT, I'm going between App and UR for pre-season #1. Logan and Sidbury are significant losses, but UR will still be great.

GATA
December 20th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Why is that the REAL question? xconfusedx xrolleyesx (some people can't let things go)

We lose a lot more than Landers. I wouldn't be surprised to see us in the 10-15 range.

Back OT, I'm going between App and UR for pre-season #1. Logan and Sidbury are significant losses, but UR will still be great.

That's the REAL question because asking if the national championship team who returns basically everybody should be ranked #1 is rhetorical...of course they should be number 1...there isn't even any room for discussion...

However, with JMU (being #1 most of the year) losing so many folks...the REAL question is where should they be ranked...keep up.

mcveyrl
December 20th, 2008, 01:32 PM
That's the REAL question because asking if the national championship team who returns basically everybody should be ranked #1 is rhetorical...of course they should be number 1...there isn't even any room for discussion...

However, with JMU (being #1 most of the year) losing so many folks...the REAL question is where should they be ranked...keep up.

I think there's a good argument for at least ASU, Richmond, and Nova to be No. 1. Possibly Montana.

JMU will drop, no doubt. But I'm not sure it matters. Where they drop is just as much of a question as who should be pre-season no.1.

CamelCityAppFan
December 20th, 2008, 01:39 PM
The defending champs should always be pre-season #1, and stay there until they lose to a FCS school, IMO.

That's absolutely correct.

The rankings don't start to have any real meaning until the 5th week or so. At that point they start becoming based on reality, IMHO.

JmuSkinsfan
December 20th, 2008, 02:17 PM
1. Richmond
2. Appalachian State
3. Villanova
4. UNI
5. Wofford
6. JMU
7. UNH
8. Weber State
9. McNeese State
10. Montana

JmuSkinsfan
December 20th, 2008, 02:20 PM
I just saw someone say Montana is losing 11 starters. That just seems to be too much to overcome early on. I'm not saying they aren't capable of rising up to top 5, but to start them out at #1 would be strange. JMU loses some key players, but we have a lot of young talent on offense (dudzik looked good and a couple OL need to be replaced, but that's all). On defense we return 3/4 DL, 2/2 LBs, 2/3 safeties, and 0/2 CBs. DBs are the biggest ? right now for jMU in the offseason I believe.

mmiller_34
December 20th, 2008, 02:24 PM
1. Richmond
2. Appalachian State
3. Villanova
4. UNI
5. JMU
6. Wofford
7. Weber State
8. Montana
9. UNH
10. McNeese St.

But... personally, I would like to see the first poll come out after week 2 or 3.

MacThor
December 20th, 2008, 02:25 PM
UR has Ward, the entire wide receiving corps, and 4 of five lineman returning on offense. They have two really good centers, perhaps one of them will convert to fill in the vacant guard slot. Without Vaughan, Crone and the TE's the "middle" game will look very different next year.

9 starters returning on defense, and the Spiders got all this done after Tyler Sullivan went down in the UMass game. When he comes back UR is ridiculously deep at linebacker. Pierre Turner and Nick Battle will step up for Logan and Sidbury, but there's no replacing them. There was talk last night that if Huesman leaves London would go 3-4 next year, but as deep as they are at LB, none of those guys fits the mold of an OLB.

Special teams - did Andrew Howard play himself out of a job during these playoffs? Maybe he's hurt, but I think it was mental. 5 missed FG's (most short) and a missed XP. Benched twice. Radford's FG last night looked like it would be good from 50+. I could see Brian Radford as both K & P next year. Monteverde (LS/TE) is a big loss - he never had a bad snap his entire career.

Looking at the Depth Charts of the top teams, UR was definitely one of the youngest. I think Villanova, App St., Weber St., UNI and Cal Poly could be in the mix early. Pollsters tend to downgrade teams that lose their starting QB's so I see Montana, JMU, in the top 10 but not top 5.

BDKJMU
December 20th, 2008, 02:27 PM

Thats not the case with IA, Div II & III. None of them automatically grant their defending NC pre season #1. If the defending champs were to lose say over half their starters and most/all of their top players, and one of the of the other NC/semifinal or quarterfinal teams had say 17-18 starters back and most/all of their top stars back, then the defending champs shouldn't be pre season #1. Maybe not even top 5. But with UD, JMU, and ASU each of the last 5 years they all had enough starters and top players returning to be labeled pre season #1. And with UR thats the case also. But it shouldn't be automatic. There's eventually going to be a NC team in the future that will have so many senior starters & top players departing that the following season it will be way too gutted to be labeled pre season #1.

MacThor
December 20th, 2008, 02:30 PM
I disagree that defending champs should always be #1 the following year. If you have a senior or two that carries your team to a title, you probably shouldn't be #1 the next year. If Flacco had carried UD all the way last year, should the Hens have been pre-season #1 this year? A recent example at FBS would be Texas the year after Vince Young single-handedly beat USC.

BDKJMU
December 20th, 2008, 02:32 PM
App also gets Devon Moore back and tony Robertson and Dominique McDuffie and only lose Pierre Bands and two offensive linemen.

10 starters on defense returning
8 starters on offense.

According to the JMU/ASU game notes, ASU has 9 starters returning on defense/loses 2:
-Banks at LB
-Love at DB

BDKJMU
December 20th, 2008, 02:36 PM

Dude, did you not read the 1st post? UR doesn't return EVERYBODY. 16 of 22 starters back doesn't = "everybody" or even "basically everybody" or even close to everybody. They do lose:
-starting guard
-Vaughn at TB
-Crone at FB
-both tightends
-both bookends on defense.

How is that everybody?

That said, as I stated starting this thread, UR does has enough coming back to be a legit pre season #1.

TCisMYhero
December 20th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Richmond sans Sidbury scares me a lot less. He was the biggest weapon I saw. Kinda like ASU w/o AE. Or us without....... defense.

TribeNomad
December 20th, 2008, 04:06 PM
UNI will be tough next year---I was impressed with their physical play against UR. UR's "D" line was less effective against UNI than there were against Montana.

crunifan
December 20th, 2008, 04:10 PM
UNI will be tough next year---I was impressed with their physical play against UR. UR's "D" line was less effective against UNI than there were against Montana.

I would agree with you, UNI has a LOT coming back next year. But UNI always has a tendancy to fail when there is a lot of preseason hype (2006), and flourish when little is expected (2005 and 2008)

McNeese75
December 20th, 2008, 04:18 PM
UR will be #1 in the poll but I am not sure they will be the best team coming in. Replacing the TB and DE are not going to be easy and it will affect the team next year.

I do not see McNeese in the top 10 next year in the initial polls.

asu3peat
December 20th, 2008, 04:30 PM
According to the JMU/ASU game notes, ASU has 9 starters returning on defense/loses 2:
-Banks at LB
-Love at DB

The notes are correct about Love being a starter but he missed a lot of games due to injury. Travis Dowda got quite a bit of PT at the safety position but I belive that once McDuffie comes back, either he or Gainey (played S in HS) will become the starting Safety along side Legree.

Stating that we're returning 10/11 on defense is pretty accurate based on injuries that allowed some back-ups crucial playing time. Banks (LB) is the only full time starter (didn't miss a game) App is losing on defense. I believe a better gage is the 2-deep where ASU returns 38 of 44.

I agree with the originator of the thread...UR should be the pre-season #1!

crossfire07
December 20th, 2008, 04:42 PM

does not matter who they get back because they are no wheres near the #1 team and there are others to be considered before App. State even comes up. Richmond is #1 and will be until someone knocks them off.

Cleets
December 20th, 2008, 04:45 PM

I agree completely...!!! xnodx

Reign of Terrier
December 20th, 2008, 05:00 PM
My top 3:

1. Richmond
2. App. state
3. Elon (call me crazy but I see something special here)

griz37
December 20th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I would put the Griz in the top 5. Our biggest issue will be QB, but even there most Griz fans are pretty confident in the guys we have waiting in the wings.

ASUPATCH
December 20th, 2008, 05:10 PM
-Banks at LB
-Love at DB

Love was benched and didn't start after the JMU game if I am not mistaken.

Touchdown Yosef
December 20th, 2008, 05:18 PM
1. Richmond
2. Appalachian State
3. Villanova
4. UNI
5. JMU
6. Wofford
7. Weber State
8. Montana
9. UNH
10. McNeese St.

But... personally, I would like to see the first poll come out after week 2 or 3.

Then what would we do all offseason?

Wolfman
December 20th, 2008, 05:29 PM
As a Griz fan, I think we will be rebuilding next year. We lose our best 3 offensive linemen, our best two defensive linemen, our best linebacker, and Colt Anderson, who is virtually irreplaceable. Most importantly, we lose a 4-year starter at QB. I think the Griz will have their weakest team in over a decade. Just being honest. You do not replace that many key parts with unproven players and remain as competitive as the Griz were this season.

appstate38
December 20th, 2008, 05:37 PM
As a Griz fan, I think we will be rebuilding next year. We lose our best 3 offensive linemen, our best two defensive linemen, our best linebacker, and Colt Anderson, who is virtually irreplaceable. Most importantly, we lose a 4-year starter at QB. I think the Griz will have their weakest team in over a decade. Just being honest. You do not replace that many key parts with unproven players and remain as competitive as the Griz were this season.

Based off of this we should expect what??? 10-2, 9-3 The Griz are still the Griz!

asu3peat
December 20th, 2008, 05:46 PM

I guess it depends on what your definition of competitive is??? ASU lost 3-OL, 2 DL, 2 top WR's, all-time leading rusher, and the entire secondary. During the season lost starting DE, CB, and 1st string RB to injury for the entire season. Not to mention the 2nd/3rd string RB's and safeties were banged up for several games.

I believe App stayed competitive despite having to overcome all those losses. I imagine the Griz have players waiting their turn to see the field and will be competitive once again and keep the playoff streak alive. Here again, I guess it depends on what your definition of competitive is???

griz37
December 20th, 2008, 05:49 PM

Wolfie you should pay more attention. The Griz lost even more key parts last year & we made it to the title game this year. Also Bergquist started about half of his freshman year, then was the backup to Swogger as a Sophomore.

gbhmt
December 20th, 2008, 05:50 PM

I don't know, I'm not so sure about this. One thing they've done well is they've gotten the 2nd-string O-lineman a lot of reps throughout this year, and there are definitely some big boys on the sideline. Hauck has a killer freshman class this year at O-lineman, with three guys over 300 and at least 6'5". Colt is irreplaceable but Shillinger was right in his shadow all season, nearly matching his tackle total. I think our best D-lineman is Palmer, and he's returning. I do and always have believed that Selle is a gem, and he'll perform great. He doesn't have the speed of Bergquist but he's much better at checking his progressions. LB will hurt some with Lebsock and Corwin gone. Erik Stoll looks solid at safety. He's obviously no Colt, but who is? I think that if we can get the young O-line gelling together, we'll be fine everywhere else. Chase will get a little stronger, and with a good O-line he'll be a force. Ferriter's not fun to lose but Ty Palmer has shown flashes of greatness and Jabin Sambrano is solid as well. Mariani speaks for himself. Steven Pfahler will be incorporated in the pass game a little more as well. If the coaches just get on it early and get things clicking a decent rate, we've still got some playmakers.

And there's the added bonus of getting our tougher conference games at home this year, along with having Cal Poly at home.

Wolfman
December 20th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Our )-line was the best one in many years. I have heard from a source close to the team that the frosh O-linemen did not progress as much during the season as had been hoped by the coaches. Yes, they are big. But, size it not everything.

Selle is totally unproven at QB. I think that our two biggest weaknesses will be the O-line, and the linebackers. Our returning starting linebackers are not that strong, in my opinion. Can the younger LBs be better? We'll see. All in all, I stick by my predictionthat we will be much weaker next year than this.

gbhmt
December 20th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Our )-line was the best one in many years. I have heard from a source close to the team that the frosh O-linemen did not progress as much during the season as had been hoped by the coaches. Yes, they are big. But, size it not everything.

Selle is totally unproven at QB. I think that our two biggest weaknesses will be the O-line, and the linebackers. Our returning starting linebackers are not that strong, in my opinion. Can the younger LBs be better? We'll see. All in all, I stick by my predictionthat we will be much weaker next year than this.

I don't know, he was spot-on against SUU. No doubt the O-line was the best in a long time, and next year's line won't be as good, but there's really only one spot on the line that would be filled by a player who hasn't gotten decent time in-game this season.

BDKJMU
December 20th, 2008, 06:05 PM
The notes are correct about Love being a starter but he missed a lot of games due to injury. Travis Dowda got quite a bit of PT at the safety position but I belive that once McDuffie comes back, either he or Gainey (played S in HS) will become the starting Safety along side Legree.

Stating that we're returning 10/11 on defense is pretty accurate based on injuries that allowed some back-ups crucial playing time. Banks (LB) is the only full time starter (didn't miss a game) App is losing on defense. I believe a better gage is the 2-deep where ASU returns 38 of 44.

I agree with the originator of the thread...UR should be the pre-season #1!

Was Love starting in the playoffs? If so, then he counts as a starter (esp if he started the majority of games, which for ASU would be over 7) and ASU has 9 starters returning on defense. Sure you might have more than 11 starters with multi game starting experience, (for example JMU has 7 starters back on each side of the ball from game 8 through game 14 + 3 more with multiple game starting experience). But you can't lose 2 starters yet list 10 returning.

Starters lost + starters returning has to equal 11 on each side of the ball. The media guides will probably list ASU as having 9 starters returning on defense and 8 on offense.

mmiller_34
December 20th, 2008, 06:55 PM
xcoffeex
Then what would we do all offseason?

haha, thats true... xlolx

I'm not saying we can't speculate... but OFFICIALLY release the first poll after week 2 or 3. I bet it would be more accurate. Example; Youngstown State this year

89Hen
December 20th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Lose:

-Sidbury, 1st team All CAA
Sorry I'm late to the discussion and I'm sure somebody has mentioned it, but those are two HUGE losses. Not saying UR will be bad without them, but they are going to be very big shoes.

UNIFanSince1983
December 20th, 2008, 07:23 PM
You can lose some great linemen and still have a good line. Look at us this year. Our line last year had two draft picks, and we lost 4 starters. This year arguably our line was at least just as good if not better than last year.

I think UNI will be alright. We do lose our top 3 CBs and top 3 safeties. We also lose 4 D linemen that got good playing time. One who we cannot replace. And we possibly lose two linebackers or we lose none (sounds funny, but one was listed as a SR but may get an extra year somehow. The other one is graduating in May even though he is a Junior and may not stick around for his final year of football).

On offense we lose Corey Lewis the all-time leading rusher in school history, and we lose 1 lineman. So offense should be alright. The defense is what I really question next year as that was our strength this year.

Overall, I think we should be in line for another pretty good season.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 20th, 2008, 09:27 PM

I would contend on two of your points. Montana's Oline was the biggest one in many years, and probably one of the best at opening up gaps for the run, but they were pitiful at pass protection. I mean, Eastern's untested O-line did better against the beastly Texas Tech D-line in protecting Nichols (only sacked once or twice) than UM's O-line did all season against their competition.

Also, Selle may not be proven, but he certainly isn't unproven. He did pretty good in the games he played in.

Tubby Raymond
December 20th, 2008, 09:46 PM

-Ward at QB

Lose:
-Starting RG

Only lose 2 bookends:
-Logan, 2nd team All CAA

Saying ONLY two bookend based on thier performance against UM is like asking Mrs Lincoln how she enjoyed the play. Those two were dominant and made UM change thier game plan blockgin schemes etc

Oh yea, UD ONLY lost thier QB/RB and two lineman from thier offense last season, didn;t have much impact, or DID IT? xoopsx

Bettina90
December 20th, 2008, 09:56 PM
The loss of those two will be huge, as they dictate a lot of how the defense can play. Having the entire back 7 back will help but considering that Richmond won with defense, how their replacements play will go a long way in determining how well Richmond's season goes next year.

luflame15
December 20th, 2008, 10:55 PM
1.Richmond
2.App St.
3.JMU
4.Montana
5.Liberty

apaladin
December 20th, 2008, 11:29 PM
My top 3:

1. Richmond
2. App. state
3. Elon (call me crazy but I see something special here)

OK, you're crazy. FU will be top 10. Now you can return the favor.:D

asu3peat
December 21st, 2008, 02:14 AM
Was Love starting in the playoffs? If so, then he counts as a starter (esp if he started the majority of games, which for ASU would be over 7) and ASU has 9 starters returning on defense. Sure you might have more than 11 starters with multi game starting experience, (for example JMU has 7 starters back on each side of the ball from game 8 through game 14 + 3 more with multiple game starting experience). But you can't lose 2 starters yet list 10 returning.

Starters lost + starters returning has to equal 11 on each side of the ball. xcoffeex The media guides will probably list ASU as having 9 starters returning on defense and 8 on offense.

Love started 7 games, played in 9. Technically speaking App is returning 9 of 11 starters. Although based on the significant amount of playing time and starts (13-GP/5-GS), I consider the back-up as a returning starter. Just my opinion. Now whether he wins the position in the off-season is a different story.

4th and What?
December 21st, 2008, 08:28 AM
Looking for more talk from Montana fans. I thought you guys lost a ton of starters last year, and now are losing 11 this year? Will next years team be basically all sophmore/freshman?

Also, I was nay-saying UNI all year long, and they impressed the hell out of me in the UNH and UR games. They may be my #3 come the first week of next season.

As far as Richmond goes, they certainly proved themselves in the playoffs, but remember they were one overtime loss away from probably not going to the playoffs at the last game of the season. With the group they have coming back next year, and the way they showed up in the playoffs, they have the potential to be a juggernaut in the CAA next year. But was that the real Richmond team that ran through the playoffs, or did they just have some sort of fire lit under them?

ItsyBitsySpider
December 21st, 2008, 08:39 AM
In defense of UR two of the three losses were to FBS UVa (16-0 and that game was 3-0 towards the end of the 3rd qtr. with UR missing two field goals) and JMU (blew an 8 point lead with 2 min and lost on a punt return on the final play of regulation). I think you saw the real UR for most of the season. More will probably fall on the shoulders of Eric Ward next year, but he can handle it. He is one cool customer back there and I don't think we've seen the best of him yet. The defense returns 9 starters and shouldn't slip much -- if at all.

uofmman1122
December 21st, 2008, 08:46 AM
Looking for more talk from Montana fans. I thought you guys lost a ton of starters last year, and now are losing 11 this year? Will next years team be basically all sophmore/freshman?We lose 16 Seniors, most of which were starters.

1. Most of the O-Line
2. Best Safety in FCS
3. Biggest leader on the team, and also 5th year QB
4. 2nd leading WR from this year
5. 3 starters on the D-Line

1. However, our O-Line backups got enough playing time that it won't hurt us that bad
2. Our #2 and #3 Safeties could start on any team in FCS. With Anderson and Schillinger we had the best safety tandem in FCS. Schillinger will be a force.
3. Andrew Selle has shown flashes of brilliance, so the QB spot is in good hands
4. Our #1 receiver, Marc Mariani, is coming back next year
5. We platoon enough on the D-Line that it shouldn't hurt us that bad

We also have Chase Reynolds returning, who broke the technical school record for TDs in a season (Although the previous record-holder, Yohance Humphrey, didn't have any of his post-season TDs count)
Also consider that most of our defense outside the safety and D-Line were mostly underclassmen (Sophs and Frosh) we should be fine there, as well. Our #1 CB didn't even play a down in the playoffs.

I'm not about to consider where Montana should be placed preseason, since I'm not a huge fan of preseason polls, so I'll let someone else do it.

That said, I still think Weber State will be the favorite again to win the Big Sky next year, what with Higgins and Smith coming back.

MacThor
December 21st, 2008, 10:19 AM
As far as Richmond goes, they certainly proved themselves in the playoffs, but remember they were one overtime loss away from probably not going to the playoffs at the last game of the season. With the group they have coming back next year, and the way they showed up in the playoffs, they have the potential to be a juggernaut in the CAA next year. But was that the real Richmond team that ran through the playoffs, or did they just have some sort of fire lit under them?

Lawrence Sidbury was quoted as saying after the closed-door meeting, "We are going to win the National Championship." This team had a ton of confidence that if they executed, they could and should beat anybody in FCS. So thanks JMU for lighting that fire..............

It's hard to describe but I listened to all the conference calls and Spider Sportslines, etc that were available during the playoffs. This team was almost eerily confident; without being cocky or arrogant, they just had no doubt. Before the App St game, they were calmly talking about how they were going to win. One of my favorite lines was "Last year, we felt like we deserved to be here. This year we belong here."

BarefootApp
December 21st, 2008, 11:03 AM
I think losing those DEs and Vaughn and Crone will offer a real challenge. We'll see.

Eight Legger
December 21st, 2008, 11:17 AM
Our running game will have a different look next year with smaller guys like Forte and Wilkins getting carries, as opposed to our brusiers like Hightower and Vaughan. Losing El Sid and Logan will hurt, but our D will still be tough. Honestly though, I could care less about next year. We are going to celebrate this year for a long time!

McNeese75
December 21st, 2008, 11:35 AM
Our running game will have a different look next year with smaller guys like Forte and Wilkins getting carries, as opposed to our brusiers like Hightower and Vaughan. Losing El Sid and Logan will hurt, but our D will still be tough. Honestly though,

xbowx Exactly!! Relish the moment xthumbsupx

I Bleed Purple
December 21st, 2008, 05:00 PM
We lose Etuati and a chunk of our O-line. 4, I think. Mailei, the FB is also gone. Defensively, we stockpile well, though we do lose most of it. Three DB's, the entire starting LB crew, and a couple on the line.

We're also good on recruiting the O-line, so I'm not worried there.

Saint3333
December 21st, 2008, 05:56 PM
does not matter who they get back because they are no wheres near the #1 team and there are others to be considered before App. State even comes up. Richmond is #1 and will be until someone knocks them off.

No where near #1, are you sure? Why are people putting them #2 behind Richmond then? Getting back an All-American DE would HUGE! Don't forget that ASU also gets back a starting RB, DB, and DE that was injuried the third week of the season. We'll see you in September MSU.

TCisMYhero
December 21st, 2008, 07:08 PM
... This year we belong here."

Take notice, Maine '09. I think they will be a tough team. Don't lose a whole lot, and they have played in some intensely tough places this year. Iowa and UNI @ home are tough venues, not to xdeadhorsex .

Woody Hayes
December 21st, 2008, 07:13 PM
1. Richmond
2. Appy St.
3.UNI (2009 national champ)

UNHFan
December 21st, 2008, 07:19 PM
YUP I AGREE!! The boys tp beat!! They get the 1

McNeese75
December 21st, 2008, 09:21 PM
No where near #1, are you sure? Why are people putting them #2 behind Richmond then? Getting back an All-American DE would HUGE! Don't forget that ASU also gets back a starting RB, DB, and DE that was injuried the third week of the season. We'll see you in September MSU.

You will see MSU but i'm not sure Crossfire will be there xcoolx . I on the other hand will be there to celebrate the opening of your new stadium expansion xthumbsupx

CharlestonAppFan
December 21st, 2008, 10:32 PM

I agree, we (App St) should be preseason #1 because of these reasons. xnodx Richmond was a great team but I don't see how they reload like we do after their championship.

By all means, great job and win Richmond! xbowx I think with the loss of your DE's and other keys, you will have a tough time reloading....but I've been wrong before.

SideLine Shooter
December 21st, 2008, 10:37 PM
They finished the year #1. They should start the year #1. For the first week at least.xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

BDKJMU
December 21st, 2008, 10:44 PM
We lose 16 Seniors, most of which were starters.

1. Most of the O-Line
2. Best Safety in FCS
3. Biggest leader on the team, and also 5th year QB
4. 2nd leading WR from this year
5. 3 starters on the D-Line

1. However, our O-Line backups got enough playing time that it won't hurt us that bad
2. Our #2 and #3 Safeties could start on any team in FCS. With Anderson and Schillinger we had the best safety tandem in FCS. Schillinger will be a force.
3. Andrew Selle has shown flashes of brilliance, so the QB spot is in good hands
4. Our #1 receiver, Marc Mariani, is coming back next year
5. We platoon enough on the D-Line that it shouldn't hurt us that bad

We also have Chase Reynolds returning, who broke the technical school record for TDs in a season (Although the previous record-holder, Yohance Humphrey, didn't have any of his post-season TDs count)
Also consider that most of our defense outside the safety and D-Line were mostly underclassmen (Sophs and Frosh) we should be fine there, as well. Our #1 CB didn't even play a down in the playoffs.

I'm not about to consider where Montana should be placed preseason, since I'm not a huge fan of preseason polls, so I'll let someone else do it.

That said, I still think Weber State will be the favorite again to win the Big Sky next year, what with Higgins and Smith coming back.

Why would Montana not count his post season TDs?

Reign of Terrier
December 21st, 2008, 10:45 PM
Why would Montana not count his post season TDs?

that's the way it was until a few years ago.

uofmman1122
December 22nd, 2008, 12:29 AM
that's the way it was until a few years ago.Indeed.

In fact, Super Dave Dickenson would have had 5,676 yards passing in 1995, but 1,500 of those yards weren't counted because they were in the playoffs.

JMU Newbill
December 22nd, 2008, 06:49 AM
UR should be #1 in the preseason poll, App State should be #2.... both teams are returning a lot of good players and will be "the teams to beat" early on.

#3 - #5 is a toss up b/w several teams IMO, but I like UNI, Montana, and Villanova personally.

JMU.... I think we have a LOT of potential next year. Dudzik did not look like any step backwards to me. The OL took a few big blows which concerns me... but I am very interested to see what we can do next year. But either way, I think JMU will be given a top 10 spot in the preseason poll.... but until we win a big game..... I won't feel its justified.

GannonFan
December 22nd, 2008, 09:33 AM
I don't subscribe to the "well, they finished first last year and until they lose to an FCS team should be #1 in the upcoming year" theory. Every year is different and what Richmond did this year (2008) has no bearing on the 2009 team. Sure they only lose a handful of players, but they lose the vital cogs on both defense and offense (the defensive ends and the RB). I use Delaware as an analogy, they didn't lose that many people number-wise from '07 to '08 (very similar to Richmond) and they went from playing in the national title game to being 4-8. That's what happens when you lose studs like Flacco and Cuff. Richmond is losing some studs here, and while I don't think they'll be anywhere close to 4-8, I'm not picking them #1.

My vote next year goes to nova (who I despise btw). They don't lose any people close to caliber and impact that Richmond loses and, they beat Richmond this year.

mcveyrl
December 22nd, 2008, 09:52 AM
I don't subscribe to the "well, they finished first last year and until they lose to an FCS team should be #1 in the upcoming year" theory. Every year is different and what Richmond did this year (2008) has no bearing on the 2009 team. Sure they only lose a handful of players, but they lose the vital cogs on both defense and offense (the defensive ends and the RB). I use Delaware as an analogy, they didn't lose that many people number-wise from '07 to '08 (very similar to Richmond) and they went from playing in the national title game to being 4-8. That's what happens when you lose studs like Flacco and Cuff. Richmond is losing some studs here, and while I don't think they'll be anywhere close to 4-8, I'm not picking them #1.

My vote next year goes to nova (who I despise btw). They don't lose any people close to caliber and impact that Richmond loses and, they beat Richmond this year.

I'm with GF on this. If JMU had won the NC this year, I would not have voted them No. 1 in the pre-season, and I suspect few people would (I think it would be kind of silly to considering what they lose).

Plus, the playoffs are great and crown a champion the best way possible, but that crowning is based entirely on the transitive property. As I said before, I think the outcome of the playoffs are all about match-ups and playing well at the right time. Richmond had both of those going for it and won when it had to.

This is not to say that UR shouldn't be No. 1 going into the pre-season next year, but that other teams can and should be considered.

JMU Newbill
December 22nd, 2008, 11:14 AM
I am going to get burned for this..... but you gotta admit.... the CAA South is looking like its going to be incredibly strong AGAIN next year. I think you could make legitimate arguments for both UR and Villanova as a preseason #1... at the very least both are preseason top 5's.

JMU is gonna have their work cut out for them again this year...... glad we should have both of those games at home this year though!

Bettina90
December 22nd, 2008, 11:19 AM
JMU is gonna have their work cut out for them again this year...... glad we should have both of those games at home this year though!

In the Richmond/JMU rivalry, that is not a good thing.

bostonspider
December 22nd, 2008, 11:20 AM
Not sure why you are happy with the UR game being @ JMU this year. You must know that the visitor has won like 5 straight...

Spiderman
December 22nd, 2008, 12:42 PM
Preseason # 1 is a coin flip between UR and ASU and won't question either order if these 2 are at the top. As we ALL learned this year like no other in recent memory, key players banged up on playoff teams played a huge role (Landers, Edwards, Berquist) in the final 8 and if not for 'the drive' at UNI it may well have been their time instead of 'our time'! 09' should be exciting with at least 5 in the title hunt: UR, ASU, UNI, Montana, and pick one of 5 candidates but I'll put Villanova in the discussion b/c they get a lot of speed out of the Philly area and gave JMU all they could handle. #34 and # 80 on Montana are scary good but Sidbury and Logan were ridiculous as they were the key blocks in the 'StoneWall D' to holding all but one oppononet to under 100 yards. How well UR fills those spots will be the key to whether we earn the preseason 1-2 ranking!

Thank God we get to settle it on the field in FCS so NO guarantees as we saw this year! I would love to see the title game get a break into early Jan so the kids can finish exams and get healed up on both sides and more fans of any school can attend. It was an awesome experience in Chattanooga and hope the game stays there but not the easiest place to get to with 6 days notice!

JMU Newbill
December 22nd, 2008, 01:33 PM
Not sure why you are happy with the UR game being @ JMU this year. You must know that the visitor has won like 5 straight...

I'm well aware of the trend. I am also well aware that we are a much better team at home than on the road.

I'll take playing UR at home based on our success at home over playing in Richmond and the current trend anyday.

Besides, I'll take any excuse to get out of Richmond and head up to JMU. It kills the monotany of everyday life in good old Richmond, Virginia.

GannonFan
December 22nd, 2008, 02:20 PM
You know, if Richmond has to be #1 to start next year just because they finished this year as #1, wouldn't logic then dictate that teams #2 through #25 should also start next year as teams #2 through #25 with no changes? I mean, didn't they earn those spots and should keep them until they win or lose to merit moving from those spots??? (*note, this is all sarcastic). :p

JMU Newbill
December 22nd, 2008, 02:38 PM
You know, if Richmond has to be #1 to start next year just because they finished this year as #1, wouldn't logic then dictate that teams #2 through #25 should also start next year as teams #2 through #25 with no changes? I mean, didn't they earn those spots and should keep them until they win or lose to merit moving from those spots??? (*note, this is all sarcastic). :p

Sarcasm? Really? xthumbsupx

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 22nd, 2008, 03:11 PM
I don't think Richmond has to be Pre-season #1 next year.

From our own conference, Villanova returns more and beat us this year.

ASU will probably be the favorite to win it all again.

My pick to win it all next year is UNI. Teams tend to work really hard in the offseason to get a really bad taste out of their mouth. I have to imagine that UNI has the worst taste in their mouth right now. They return many starters, including Ruffin as well.

Grizaholic17
December 22nd, 2008, 03:23 PM
I agree that UR should be at the top of the tier, but I can see Appy getting a lot of votes there with their all star cast on offense coming back.

I hope that UR does well again, but as the Grizzles know all too well, Even when practically all of your team comes back from a great season (as in '07 when we lost like 2 starters from the semifinal almost undefeated team), things can go downhill fast.

MacThor
December 22nd, 2008, 04:05 PM
It depends on the poll. You know Coulson and Burton will pick App St.

BDKJMU
December 24th, 2008, 08:34 AM
UR should be #1 in the preseason poll, App State should be #2.... both teams are returning a lot of good players and will be "the teams to beat" early on.

#3 - #5 is a toss up b/w several teams IMO, but I like UNI, Montana, and Villanova personally.

JMU.... I think we have a LOT of potential next year. Dudzik did not look like any step backwards to me. The OL took a few big blows which concerns me... but I am very interested to see what we can do next year. But either way, I think JMU will be given a top 10 spot in the preseason poll.... but until we win a big game..... I won't feel its justified.

Montana loses half their starters. Don't think they will start out top 5 unless voters vote them their more on reputation.

With # of starters projected back (out of 22, going by games notes 2 deep from last game) With the premise that starters returning + starters lost has to = 11. Some teams list 12 starters on offense, a fullback and 3 receivers, so you have to discount the 3rd receiver slot. If I was voting an 09' preseason top 25 TODAY:
1. UR (16)
2. ASU (17)
3. Villanova (16- only losses to BCS WVU, 2 nailbiters to JMU, beat UR)
4. SIU (17- and remember, they beat UNI regular season)
5. UNI (13)
6. Elon (18-despite loss to Liberty still finished 6-2 in So-Con).
7. Montana (11)
8. JMU (14 but no Landers)
9. Weber (11 but returns Higgins & Trevyn Smith)
10. UNH (13, only 5 offense and only 1 o-line returning, but Toman at QB)
11. Cent Ark (15, 9 defense. 10-2, won Southland, but playoff ineligible)
12. W&M (15)
13. UMass (15 but no Coen)
14. Maine (14)
15. SDSU (16- finished 7-5, 6-2 MVFC behind SIU & UNI.)
16. EWU (14- finished 6-5)
17. Cal Poly (12 but no Dally & Barden)
18. GSU (12- finished 6-5, beat Furman in last game)
19. Furman: (11- finished 7-5)
20. EKU (12) (or whoevever is picked to win the OVC)
21. Wofford (only 9, but were 7-1 in the So-Con last season, 9-3 overall, gave JMU all they could handle, have that hard to defend option)
22. Whoever is picked to win the Patriot
23. McNeese (only 9 from 7-4 team, but they're a traditional I-AA power
24. Albany: 14 from 9-3 team, should be favored to win NEC, but was 1-3 vs the CAA. Of those , only beat Hofstra in OT
25. Whoever is picked to win the Big South (Liberty only 9 starters returning)

Top 7 out:
26. UD (yeah, they were 4-8 last season, but do return 13 and probably the biggest transfer of the year in Pat Devlin).
27. Whoever is picked to win the MEAC (SCSU loses 11 starters)
28. N Ariz: (14 from 6-5 team)
29. MSU: (12 back from 7-5 team)
30. YSU (14 back from 4-8 team, but are a traditional power).
31. W Ill: (13 back from 6-5 team, but lose Herb Donaldson & Jason Williams)
32. NDSU (9 from 6-5 team)

Yeah, I know, 7 of top 14 CAA is a stretch, but not too much. Final AGS had 6 CAA top 16 and final TSN had 6 CAA top 20. Break that down for my top 25 its:
CAA 8
So-Con 5
MVC 3 (with 2 more just outside)
Big Sky 3
Southland: 2
Great West 1
OVC 1
Patriot 1
NEC 1

Damn, I have way too much time on my hands.

uofmman1122
December 24th, 2008, 08:46 AM
11. Weber (11 but Higgins)They also bring back the...what?...3 time Big Sky RB of the year in Trevyn Smith.

I'd have them a little higher, but that's just because I know more about them than you do. However, I doubt you'll see them above #15 when the actual preseason comes out.

Like I said in other posts, I think Weber will still be considered the favorite to win the Big Sky next year. Maybe not a big, big favorite, but still the front-runner, if only by a little bit.

Look for Eastern Washington to make more noise than they did this year. Nicholls comes back, as do a lot of his favorite targets, and I bet he's hankering for a breakout senior season. xtwocentsx

MacThor
December 24th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Refresh my memory....was App St. still #1 this year after the LSU game?

biggie
December 24th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Refresh my memory....was App St. still #1 this year after the LSU game?
Yes.

BDKJMU
December 24th, 2008, 09:16 AM
They also bring back the...what?...3 time Big Sky RB of the year in Trevyn Smith.

I'd have them a little higher, but that's just because I know more about them than you do.However, I doubt you'll see them above #15 when the actual preseason comes out.

Like I said in other posts, I think Weber will still be considered the favorite to win the Big Sky next year. Maybe not a big, big favorite, but still the front-runner, if only by a little bit.

Look for Eastern Washington to make more noise than they did this year. Nicholls comes back, as do a lot of his favorite targets, and I bet he's hankering for a breakout senior season. xtwocentsx

How high would you have them? Fixed it for you sort of- moved Weber from 11 to 9. Don't think you could justify moving them ahead of Montana & JMU.xsmiley_wix Looks like the Big Sky will come down to a 3 team race next season- Montana, Weber, and EWU.

89Hen
December 24th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Montana loses half their starters.
xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx I thought Montana fans said this was a rebuilding year... looks like next year is.

BDKJMU
December 24th, 2008, 10:08 AM
xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx I thought Montana fans said this was a rebuilding year... looks like next year is.

Thats what I thought too, but of 22 positions, they started 11 seniors vs JMU.

UNIFanSince1983
December 24th, 2008, 10:21 AM
17. Cal Poly (12 but no Dally & Barden)

You also have to take into consideration that their Head Coach Ellerson is going to Army. I don't know how much that should affect their ranking, but I think it would a little bit depending on who they hire.

uofmman1122
December 24th, 2008, 10:45 AM
How high would you have them? Fixed it for you sort of- moved Weber from 11 to 9. Don't think you could justify moving them ahead of Montana & JMU.xsmiley_wix Looks like the Big Sky will come down to a 3 team race next season- Montana, Weber, and EWU.I'm not saying you should have moved them. Just what I would do. I also wouldn't have 7 CAA teams in the top 14. xlolxxsmiley_wix

But yeah, EWU, UM, and WSU should be the front runners for the BSC. Can't count MSU out, either, though I have no idea what they're going to do. Come to think of it, I might be totally wrong, however, in hindsight, it's funny now to think how some people had NAU as the projected BSC champion this year before they played Weber. xlolx:p

Big Al
December 24th, 2008, 11:43 AM
My pick to win it all next year is UNI. Teams tend to work really hard in the offseason to get a really bad taste out of their mouth. I have to imagine that UNI has the worst taste in their mouth right now. They return many starters, including Ruffin as well.

Thanks for the props -- you're right about the bad taste, too. This year's squad seemed to exceed expectations from the preseason but as the season went on, it was apparent they weren't living up to their potential on the offense. Right when I really started to believe they could win it all, UR came along and squashed those thoughts!

That said, they improved on both sides of the ball as the season wore on, whereas they seemed to plateau/decline in previous years.

BDKJMU
December 25th, 2008, 08:30 AM
I'm not saying you should have moved them. Just what I would do. I also wouldn't have 7 CAA teams in the top 14. xlolxxsmiley_wix

But yeah, EWU, UM, and WSU should be the front runners for the BSC. Can't count MSU out, either, though I have no idea what they're going to do. Come to think of it, I might be totally wrong, however, in hindsight, it's funny now to think how some people had NAU as the projected BSC champion this year before they played Weber. xlolx:p

Like I was saying, 7 CAA in the top 14 is a stretch. I moved Maine down 4 spots, so now its 7 of the top 18. A stretch, but not a huge one. Odds are those 7 CAA will pre season top 25 in just about every poll.

Actually, of all the teams from the CAA, So-Con, MVFC and BSC that had finished .500 or above, the 4 I hadn't looked at were MSU, NAU, and W. Ill and Samford. NAU lost their last 4 games from 6-5/4-4 BSC,5-5 Div I schedule, so don't see ranking them. But Samford should be ranked, as should maybe MSU. If the So-Con is about = to the BSC and you ranked a team like Furman, 7-5, 6-5 Div I with BCS loss, 4-4 So-Con, 11 starters back, you'd have to rank a team like MSU, also 7-5, 6-5 Div I with BCS loss, 5-3 BSC, 12 starters back. So now I have 4 BSC in my top 20.

I also removed UD. Without Devlin they may not even be Top 40, but I think Devlin is the difference between them going 4-7 and 7-4, and playoffs if they were in the CAA North. I live in SE PA and know about Devlin. But I don't know if you should rank a team based on 1 transfer, and it makes me look like a CAA homer.xsmiley_wix So even though I think UD should be top 25, none of the polls will have them there.

Even though it hadn't been 24 hrs, it wouldn't let me edit my post anymore, but it would let me delete it. So I just copied it, deleted it, and am reposting:

With # of starters projected back (out of 22, going by games notes 2 deep from last game) With the premise that starters returning + starters lost has to = 11. Some teams list 12 starters on offense, a fullback and 3 receivers, so you have to discount the 3rd receiver slot. If I was voting an 09' preseason top 25 TODAY:
1. UR (16)
2. ASU (17)
5. UNI (13)
7. Montana (11)
12. W&M (15- finished 7-4 in CAA South and took UR to OT in their last game).
14. SDSU (16- finished 7-5, 6-2 MVFC behind SIU & UNI.)
15. EWU (14 from 6-5)
16. Cal Poly (12 but no Dally & Barden & new HC)
17. Samford (15 from 6-5, 4-5 Div I, 4-4 So-Con, beat GSU)
18. Maine (14)
19. GSU (12- from 6-5 (all Div I schedule), beat Furman in last game)
20. MSU: (12 from 7-5 team)
21. Furman: (11 from 7-5)
22. EKU (12) (or whoevever is picked to win the OVC)
23. Whoever is picked to win the Patriot
24. Wofford (only 9, but were 7-1 in the So-Con last season, 9-3 overall, gave JMU all they could handle, have that hard to defend option)
25. Albany: 14 from 9-3 team, should be favored to win NEC, but was 1-3 vs the CAA. Of those, only beat Hofstra in OT

Top 7 out:
26. N Ariz: (14 from 6-5 team, 5-5 Div I, 4-4 BSC, lost last 4 games)
27. UD (13 from 4-8 in brutal CAA South last season. Probably the biggest transfer of the year in Pat Devlin).
28. McNeese (only 9 from 7-4 team, but they're a traditional I-AA power
29. Whoever is picked to win the Big South (Liberty only 9 starters returning)
30. Whoever is picked to win the MEAC (SCSU loses 11 starters)
31. YSU (14 from 4-8 team, but are a traditional power).
32. W Ill: (13 from 6-5 team, but lose Herb Donaldson & Jason Williams, lost to YSU last game)
33. NDSU (9 from 6-5 team)

Could have a couple more Patriot, Southland, and OVC getting votes.

Yeah, I know, 7 of top 14 CAA is a stretch, but not too much. Final AGS had 6 CAA top 16 and final TSN had 6 CAA top 20. Break that down for my top 25 its:
CAA 7 (UD just outside)
So-Con 6 (but only 2 in top 16)
Big Sky 4 (with 1 more just outside)
Southland: 1 (with one more just outside)
Great West 1
OVC 1
Patriot 1
NEC 1

Damn, I have way too much time on my hands.xsmiley_wix

Reign of Terrier
December 25th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Like I was saying, 7 CAA in the top 14 is a stretch. I moved Maine down 4 spots, so now its 7 of the top 18. A stretch, but not a huge one. Odds are those 7 CAA will pre season top 25 in just about every poll.

Actually, of all the teams from the CAA, So-Con, MVFC and BSC that had finished .500 or above, the 4 I hadn't looked at were MSU, NAU, and W. Ill and Samford. NAU lost their last 4 games from 6-5/4-4 BSC,5-5 Div I schedule, so don't see ranking them. But Samford should be ranked, as should maybe MSU. If the So-Con is about = to the BSC and you ranked a team like Furman, 7-5, 6-5 Div I with BCS loss, 4-4 So-Con, 11 starters back, you'd have to rank a team like MSU, also 7-5, 6-5 Div I with BCS loss, 5-3 BSC, 12 starters back. So now I have 4 BSC in my top 20.

I also removed UD. Without Devlin they may not even be Top 40, but I think Devlin is the difference between them going 4-7 and 7-4, and playoffs if they were in the CAA North. I live in SE PA and know about Devlin. But I don't know if you should rank a team based on 1 transfer, and it makes me look like a CAA homer.xsmiley_wix So even though I think UD should be top 25, none of the polls will have them there.

Even though it hadn't been 24 hrs, it wouldn't let me edit my post anymore, but it would let me delete it. So I just copied it, deleted it, and am reposting:

1. UR (16)
2. ASU (17)
5. UNI (13)
7. Montana (11)
12. W&M (15- finished 7-4 in CAA South and took UR to OT in their last game).
14. SDSU (16- finished 7-5, 6-2 MVFC behind SIU & UNI.)
15. EWU (14 from 6-5)
16. Cal Poly (12 but no Dally & Barden & new HC)
17. Samford (15 from 6-5, 4-5 Div I, 4-4 So-Con, beat GSU)
18. Maine (14)
19. GSU (12- from 6-5 (all Div I schedule), beat Furman in last game)
20. MSU: (12 from 7-5 team)
21. Furman: (11 from 7-5)
22. EKU (12) (or whoevever is picked to win the OVC)
23. Whoever is picked to win the Patriot
24. Wofford (only 9, but were 7-1 in the So-Con last season, 9-3 overall, gave JMU all they could handle, have that hard to defend option)
25. Albany: 14 from 9-3 team, should be favored to win NEC, but was 1-3 vs the CAA. Of those, only beat Hofstra in OT

Top 7 out:
26. N Ariz: (14 from 6-5 team, 5-5 Div I, 4-4 BSC, lost last 4 games)
27. UD (13 from 4-8 in brutal CAA South last season. Probably the biggest transfer of the year in Pat Devlin).
28. McNeese (only 9 from 7-4 team, but they're a traditional I-AA power
29. Whoever is picked to win the Big South (Liberty only 9 starters returning)
30. Whoever is picked to win the MEAC (SCSU loses 11 starters)
31. YSU (14 from 4-8 team, but are a traditional power).
32. W Ill: (13 from 6-5 team, but lose Herb Donaldson & Jason Williams, lost to YSU last game)
33. NDSU (9 from 6-5 team)

Could have a couple more Patriot, Southland, and OVC getting votes.

CAA 7 (UD just outside)
So-Con 6 (but only 2 in top 16)
Big Sky 4 (with 1 more just outside)
Southland: 1 (with one more just outside)
Great West 1
OVC 1
Patriot 1
NEC 1

Damn, I have way too much time on my hands.xsmiley_wix

I can agree with your assessment on Wofford but I don't think the highlighted teams should be that high ranked. I really don't think Furman should be that high ranked. I also think that GSU should be a smidge lower.

BDKJMU
December 25th, 2008, 10:32 AM
I can agree with your assessment on Wofford but I don't think the highlighted teams should be that high ranked. I really don't think Furman should be that high ranked. I also think that GSU should be a smidge lower.

Once you get outside the top 15 its basically a crap shoot. I wouldn't be surprise to see all 3 of them ranked near the bottom of the top 25 in most polls come next Aug.

Reign of Terrier
December 25th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Once you get outside the top 15 its basically a crap shoot. I wouldn't be surprise to see all 3 of them ranked near the bottom of the top 25 in most polls come next Aug.

more like the top 10

Rekdiver
December 29th, 2008, 10:12 AM
UR is #1 until someone beats them....A number of schools are very capable. I don't know where ASU will flesh out but you heard it here...The redshirt freshman class is scary, scary scary.

jmufan999
December 29th, 2008, 11:14 AM
yes, UR absolutely should be preseason #1. unquestionably the best team in the country this past year, and they'll be very good again next year.

as far as JMU, i've come to realize that it DOESN'T matter where we are preseason... the CAA is going to get ABSOLUTELY NO FEWER than 3 selections every year, and 4 will happen some years (i don't think this is a stretch since we have 10 selections in the past two years). that said, all we have to do is finish in the top 3 of the CAA to make it in. it's a tough conference, but there's no reason to think that Dudzik/Thorpe can't lead us to that. only talking about JMU because someone else brought it up first.

Monte Madness
December 29th, 2008, 03:59 PM
They also bring back the...what?...3 time Big Sky RB of the year in Trevyn Smith.

I'd have them a little higher, but that's just because I know more about them than you do. However, I doubt you'll see them above #15 when the actual preseason comes out.

Both Weber and Eastern Washington will be loaded next season. Both will be better in 2009 than they were this year, and EWU will be MUCH BETTER. They were very young on defense this year, and return alot of kids. On offense, they have virtually every weapon returning. Their only question mark will be coaching.

I hate to say it, but my Griz will be rebuilding next season, and will not be expected to finish first in the Big Sky. We lose too many key players, like Anderson, Stadnyk, and Corwin on defense, and Berquist, Ferriter, and our best three offensive linemen on offense. There are too many question marks at key positions to rank the Griz pre-season favorites to the the conference.

GtFllsGriz
December 29th, 2008, 04:27 PM
I agree Monte. The Griz will be a question mark but they were this year as well. No one expected to be in the NC game at the beginning of the year. I think it was more the way the Griz played this year then the players we had playing. They will reload again next year so don't count them out by any means. Probably not top five but I wouldn't go below top 10.

Monte Madness
December 29th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Don't be surprised to see Hauck go for another IA drop-down QB this spring. I do not know if he is sold on Selle being the answer. The red-shirt frosh may be a factor, but he is very green. Anyway, it would not surprise me one bit to see a drop-down QB come in.

uofmman1122
December 29th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Don't be surprised to see Hauck go for another IA drop-down QB this spring. I do not know if he is sold on Selle being the answer. The red-shirt frosh may be a factor, but he is very green. Anyway, it would not surprise me one bit to see a drop-down QB come in.Well, according to Hauck, he was good enough to give Bergquist a run for his money for the starting job this last year. I'd be very, very surprised to se Hauck go for a drop down, and slightly upset.

I, myself, think Selle is very capable. He had a better game against SUU than Bergquist did, and the rest of the season we didn't get to see him get in a rhythm.

But that's why we have all that to be decided in the spring. I think Selle will be the #1 heading into spring camp, and we'll see how it works out from there.

Whoever gets the job, I hope it's either Selle or Larson. Call me a homer, but I want a native Montana boy behind center again. xnodx

DX Man
December 29th, 2008, 10:25 PM
I also think UR should be #1 as long as they win.xthumbsupx

rancher griz
December 30th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Next season for the Griz will depend on the rebuilding of the offensive line and Andrew Selle.

Our OL lost two likely NFL draft picks and another that will get a snif at the league. Our line will have some experience returning in Hilensland, Dyk, and Horn all of who have started games. Velarnic has shown a lot of progression should fit in nicely at Center. Others did see some action too. It depends on how our Freshmen and Sophmores progress to add depth.

Our backfield will be stronger with Reynolds getting better. Fletcher will be hungry after a dissapointing year of getting beat out. Our younger RBs should progress and get better. Selle is more accurate than Berquist and might have a better arm, but I'm not sure he has the intangibles Berquist had and it's tough to replace a 3 year starter and get the same production. Larson gives us more athleticism at the position and a better arm with less accuracy. Kemp has even more athleticism, but a weaker arm and some accuracy issues from what I've been told.

Our WR corps should improve. Mariani will be AA calibre. Palmer got better during the year. Sabrano and Kaz have experience. Cady will bring speed (10.4 in the 100). Phaler is getting Pro looks and should be a bigger part of the passing game.

On D my biggest concern is the DE. We've got a lot of good young talent but they are all speed type guys. Not a lot of size, which was our problem against Richmond. Palmer will return. Mercer needs to step up. It will be interesting to see if Fetherston can gain weight or move to LB. He's to good to not be on the field. I've heard DeBruycker has a ton of potential.

At DT Mettler and Carlson will be missed, but Hobbs and Bender are more talented and could have huge years. Bender's injury was a huge loss this year. He is a freak and could also see some time as a 280# DE. Concern will be depth. We've got Mullins but very little after him. Can't afford any injuries.

LB should be stronger. Corwin is a big loss, but the rest of our starters return and Baur will be healthy again. I'm excited about McSurdy, Shaw, and Rabold as budding stars. Someone will step up to fill Corwin's void.

DB. Anderson is a huge loss. He made so many plays and made life easy for our corners. Shillinger and Stroll will keep this as one of the best safety tandems in FCS, but neither are nearly the player Colt is. Our corners will be better. Johnson if healthy will be a great one. Swink and Thompson played very well this year and should be better. Cambell and Smith will also be back if healthy.

Overall, I feel next years team has championship potential, if our OL and QB can sustain and our DL can find depth. I still feel we are the team to beat. The BSC will be improved. MSU will be much better. WSU and EWU will also be very tough. I think WSU lost a lot of talent at both lines.

Preseason we shoud be in the 3 to 8 range.