PDA

View Full Version : Richmond/Montana game stats

ChickenMan
December 20th, 2008, 07:14 AM
the stats were a lot closer than the game...

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/boxscore?gid=200812190116

Tealblood
December 20th, 2008, 07:23 AM
I think when a team wins with defense stats tend to look a lot more even

MacThor
December 20th, 2008, 07:48 AM
I think 208-39 is the most telling.

JohnStOnge
December 20th, 2008, 08:06 AM
I think 208-39 is the most telling.

I think that Montana set the script for the game by making some key penalty mistakes and getting down by several scores early. That totally changed things. Montana was able to run the ball but had to go away from the running game. Also, Richmond was able to "pin its ears back" and go after the passer.

I think a lot of times people forget the extent to which self inflicted wounds can change things. Montana started its first possession by driving to a first and goal at the six then got called for illegal motion. We'll never know if they would've scored a TD but their odds of doing so sure would've been a heck of a lot better without that penalty.

Then on their second possession they opened with a nice play for a first down but got it called back by a personal foul. The sad thing is that, if it's the thing I'm thinking about, a guy was trying to hit one guy and missed him. Instead he hit a defender engaged with a blocker in the legs.

Anyway, that pretty much killed that possession then Richmond got the short field and BAM it was 14-0.

If Montana would've been playing an inferior opponent they might have been able to overcome that. But they weren't.

Don't get me wrong. After watching the game I think that if neither team would've made big mistakes Richmond would've won. But I think it would've been much closer and I do think Montana was capable of winning if it could've minimized mistakes while having Richmond make a few (kind of like what happened against JMU the previous week). I think Montana helped Richmond a lot with penalties early while they were getting into a 21-0 hole and once they were in that hole they were out of their game.

uofmman1122
December 20th, 2008, 08:12 AM
The Montana defense came back and had a momentous showing in the second half, but as has been said, it was too much, and our offense couldn't get it done.

The fact that Bobby completely abandoned the run almost makes me think he didn't have confidence in his defense to hold Richmond, which they did rather well in the second half.

Maybe I'm off, especially since I'm completely smashed, angry and upset as $^%&, and dead tired.

Drinking profusely hasn't really helped, either/. xlolxxlolxxlolx

xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

Blue42
December 20th, 2008, 08:56 AM
I wouldn't call that even.

Rushing yards were 208-39 and sacks were 7-1. That's domination on the OL and DL.

Native
December 20th, 2008, 09:20 AM
...just watching the game now on espn360...

Congrats to both teams for gettin to Chatty!

MacThor
December 20th, 2008, 09:35 AM
I think that Montana set the script......

One team executed, the other didn't. It's just like the wide-open receiver play you keep bringing up in the UNI game. The talent levels are close enough, especially from the quarterfinals on, that there are a few plays in each game that will make someone say "if only........." But that's what football is all about, making the plays. Had UNI won, there are several plays UR could point to (Tre Gray fumble, atrocious clock management at end of first half, not challenging the spot on Vaughan's 3rd down run). That's football.

Several of us were saying that any one of the final eight could win the whole thing......whoever can string together 3 good games will do it.