PDA

View Full Version : An Observation

Tealblood
December 20th, 2008, 07:03 AM
over the last couple of years I think most of the talent at the FCS level has been on offense--with O's like the spread and some of the running and throwing games in FCS

It has seemed to me like there was a lot more talent or maybe with limited number of scholarships coaches filling up with talent on offense

or perhaps not enough top talents playing offense in high school with all of the accolades and face time given to offensive players

you rarely see games decides at 14-10 anywhere in FCS

I guess last night proves that if you can land and load up on a few lock-down defensive players you can be successful

Tealblood
December 20th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Richmonds offense was solid but that defense was outstanding

and I think it was something you only see rarely in FCS

Tribe4SF
December 20th, 2008, 07:30 AM
DL and CB are the two positions where FCS teams have the most difficulty recruiting top notch players. Finding really good DTs is particularly difficult. Richmond is pretty unique in that their defensive talent appears to exceed their offensive talent. Villanova is a team built in similar fashion.

blueballs
December 20th, 2008, 08:09 AM
This decade has seen some awfully good defensive teams hoist the trophy.

Obviously Richmond last night but the Delaware group of 2003 was historic in its stinginess as was the Montana team in 2001.

App's title in 2006 was secured by defensive playmakers as was GSU's title in 2000. Both of those defensive squads were vastly underrated because of offensive stars.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 20th, 2008, 08:18 AM
I don't think it's much different in the FBS. Most of the BCSNC games have been with the winning team scoring a lot.

Defense, in general, does not win championships.

Tealblood
December 22nd, 2008, 11:07 AM
I don't think it's much different in the FBS. Most of the BCSNC games have been with the winning team scoring a lot.

Defense, in general, does not win championships.

I think it can win one obviosly

I just think the bigger issue right now is most all of the talent coming into college is on the offensive side of the ball

which I think is a commentary on the "look at me and how great I am" attitude prevailing in sports today

AshevilleApp2
December 22nd, 2008, 11:10 AM
This decade has seen some awfully good defensive teams hoist the trophy.

Obviously Richmond last night but the Delaware group of 2003 was historic in its stinginess as was the Montana team in 2001.

App's title in 2006 was secured by defensive playmakers as was GSU's title in 2000. Both of those defensive squads were vastly underrated because of offensive stars.

The 2005 Championship even more so. Shutting out Furman and Northern Iowa in the second half of the semi and final was huge.

blueballs
December 22nd, 2008, 11:21 AM
The 2005 Championship even more so. Shutting out Furman and Northern Iowa in the second half of the semi and final was huge.

Ooops!!! 2005 was the year I was thinking about because the game was secured on the fumble return.

The 2005 defense was the best App's had in a number of years, since at least the mid 90's. What App did to GSU in Boone that year (granted Foster was injured but it wouldn't have mattered much IMO) shutting down the triple option that averaged over 35ppg was very impressive.

Another interesting thread might be to compare the defensive titleists from 200 to now. There are some really good units... my top 5 would be:

2003 UD
2001 UM
2005 App
2008 UR
2000 GSU

Reign of Terrier
December 22nd, 2008, 11:48 AM
Wofford had a great defense in 2003 but then we ran into the great Delaware D and the fact that our offense was just the wing t and was nothing extremely special we lost in a very defensive game (24-9 but it was 10-3 after 3Qs I believe). Had we some how won that game I believe we would have won the championship and the D would get some recognition.

Wofford's D is going to be better next year and if the offense steps up we'll win a lot of games

Big Al
December 22nd, 2008, 11:55 AM
I just think the bigger issue right now is most all of the talent coming into college is on the offensive side of the ball

which I think is a commentary on the "look at me and how great I am" attitude prevailing in sports today

I disagree. Lots of kids go to college and play completely different positions than in HS. Rather, I think because of modern offensive schemes it's much harder to win through tough defense, so coaches are concentrating their firepower on the offensive side of the ball.