PDA

View Full Version : 1978 to 2008: The FCS Top Thirty Lists - Championship Games

CSN-info
December 19th, 2008, 06:40 PM
College Sporting News

The highest level of NCAA Division I championship football began play in 1978 as Division I-AA and from that time there have been numerous top performers throughout the 30 years. Now renamed the Football Championship Subdivision, the following is a list compiled to highlight the Top 30 at the positions of quarterback, runningback, wide receiver, offensive line, defensive line, linebacker, defensive back, kicker/punter, and FCS national championship games as part of our 2008 Yearbook.

This level of football has produced NFL Most Valuable Players such as quarterbacks Kurt Warner and Rich Gannon, Super Bowl MVPs such as Richard Dent, NFL record holders such as Jerry Rice and Steve Christie, and numerous NCAA records. These lists spotlight some of those achievements and gives a sampling of the level of play that the FCS has and continues to produce.

We hope you enjoy this small sampling of the past 30 years of the FCS.

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/stats/writer/Top30/topthirtycover200w.jpg

Read more ... http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=1978-to-2008-the-fcs-top-thirty-lists&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

JohnStOnge
December 19th, 2008, 08:01 PM
You guys say speed. I say Montana needs to find a way to tackle Richmond's players. Richmond is beating Montana with power; not speed.

CSN-info
December 21st, 2008, 04:50 AM
Comments?

Tubby Raymond
December 21st, 2008, 05:50 AM
More SoCo favoritism from Coulson, No credibility

Screamin_Eagle174
December 21st, 2008, 05:53 AM
Comments?

Well for one, kind of ridiculous having a top 30 championship games... because excepting this year, there have been only 30 since 1978. Interesting read though.

th0m
December 21st, 2008, 06:25 AM
Well for one, kind of ridiculous having a top 30 championship games... because excepting this year, there have been only 30 since 1978. Interesting read though.

I think the reason for having a top 30 is actually because there have been 30 NC games xlolx

aust42
December 21st, 2008, 09:09 AM
There are some great linebackers listed but I'd have to include Delawares Darrel Booker (1984-1987). Four-year starter, 2 time All American, still holds school records for tackles in a game (23), season (153), and career (506). Made the Saints final cut when they had three all-pros Rickey Jackson, Pat Swilling and Sam Mills. Could have had a good NFL career but got cut after a knocklehead incident that ended his career.

blueballs
December 21st, 2008, 09:14 AM
More SoCo favoritism from Coulson, No credibility

Okay, then let's hear why he's incorrect and why your choices are superior.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 21st, 2008, 09:48 AM
Keep in mind, people, that up until this past Saturday there were only 30 national championship games played. So if it seems like there is SoCon favoritism that's because we've been in 15 of those 30 games.

If you think one should be higher then say which one should be higher.

By the way, I agree with #1. That one is a no-brainer IMO.

MacThor
December 21st, 2008, 10:22 AM
I agree it's kind of silly to have a "Top 30" when there are 30 total. Does that mean the #30 game is the worst NC of all time?

Of course, in my heart, the #1 NC game is the one that's not on the list.... :)

Syntax Error
December 22nd, 2008, 06:50 AM
There are some great linebackers listed...xeyebrowx Isn't this a ranking of the 30 champ games?

appfan2008
December 22nd, 2008, 07:42 AM
i see that you ranked the top thirty games but still silly when there only is thirty games..

Syntax Error
December 22nd, 2008, 08:07 PM
i see that you ranked the top thirty games but still silly when there only is thirty games..CSN ranking the championship is silly, and why? xconfusedx xeyebrowx

Chi Panther
December 22nd, 2008, 09:41 PM
I think its good. Gives some historical perspective for those who post blindly.....

Damn Ham-bone....

GATA
December 22nd, 2008, 11:44 PM
I agree it's kind of silly to have a "Top 30" when there are 30 total. Does that mean the #30 game is the worst NC of all time?

Of course, in my heart, the #1 NC game is the one that's not on the list.... :)

That's exactly what that means...at least logically. Unless the 31st national championship is worse...

Funny thing is...that Richmond v. Montana game was probably the 31st best title game. That game was exciting for all of about 10 minutes...After that it was basically Richmond salting the clock after gaining the lead.

umassfan
December 23rd, 2008, 09:48 AM
The UMass GSU game is far too low... Very interesting game to watch and very high scoring which everyone loves. What a shock that an App st game would be number 1 by Mr App lover.xrolleyesx

UMass922
December 23rd, 2008, 11:09 AM
What a shock that an App st game would be number 1 by Mr App lover.xrolleyesx

Huh? #1 was GSU-Furman. The highest-ranked App St. game was #6.

umassfan
December 23rd, 2008, 05:00 PM
Huh? #1 was GSU-Furman. The highest-ranked App St. game was #6.

Im not sure what I looked at this morning but I coulda swore it looked differently then what I just saw now. xeyebrowx

Syntax Error
December 23rd, 2008, 08:09 PM
Im not sure what I looked at this morning but I coulda swore it looked differently then what I just saw now. Isn't that dementia?

umassfan
December 24th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Isn't that dementia?

Its called working grave and getting yelled at by stupid people all night and then not reading clearly something at 7 am.

yosef1969
December 24th, 2008, 11:14 AM
CSN ranking the championship is silly, and why? xconfusedx xeyebrowx

Just semantics, the only thing that's goofy about it is the "Top Thirty" being applied to the list.

More accurately it is a ranking of the Championship Games, but I understand they were just sticking to a theme celebrating the 30 years of D-IAA/FCS. Enjoyed the read regardless.

Rekdiver
December 29th, 2008, 10:25 AM
If there was SoCon favoritism, I musta missed it.... And as far a being an App lover, if that ws the case then John Settle would be there at running back. All pro 1 year and 1st undrafted FA to gain 1,000 yards in a season. for Atlanta. Played 3 or 4 seasons in ATL and 2 in DC.

Don;t see how Santos is ranked higher than several of the QB's.

OL FU
December 29th, 2008, 10:49 AM
As much as the 1985 final score still gives me stomach cramps, it is hard to argue that it was an exciting game, a magnificent performance by both teams (a stellar one by Tracy) and a game that had nail biters bleeding from all ten fingers. Furman shut down the option, but they couldn't shut down Ham:( The last second catch was either exhilirating or heartbreaking depending on your perspective

GtFllsGriz
December 29th, 2008, 04:04 PM
That was an interesting read. More than the per game statistics I enjoyed the playoff games leading to the championship games.