PDA

View Full Version : Will you be away from your computer but want to check scores? Here's how...

kardplayer
November 19th, 2005, 06:23 AM
I'm sure many of us will be at our teams' games today, especially with so many rivalry games going on. At the same time, there are so many scores from around the nation that are important to our playoff hopes, we'll want to know what's going on in them. Its hard to "scoreboard watch" when most of our stadiums won't have the other scores posted or announced, so what is a I-AA fan to do?

You have at least two options, depending on noise and cost sensitivity...

1. 1-800-555-TELL
Cost: Free

Process:
1. At the main menu, say "SPORTS"

2. Then say "COLLEGE FOOTBALL"
3. Then say the name of the team you want to know about aka "SOUTHERN ILLINOIS"
4. It will report the score of the game (aka "SOUTHERN ILLINOIS is trailing NORTH DAKOTA STATE 24-14, with less than 2 minutes to go in the fourth quarter")

Comments: Because its voice activated, if its really noisy it can be hard to use. That said, I can usually get it to work in a stadium but, ironically, not in the car when my kids are yelling. It recognizes all I-AA schools, but it does seem to struggle with some. I'm not sure the "transitional" schools are in there, but as long as you know the opponent, just use the opponent. Also, I believe you can set up favorites, so if you want to set it up on your way to the game, you may be able to put your phone on mute after you say college football and it will give you the scores - you'll have to play with that one yourself though as I won't have a chance to check it out till I'm on the road myself...

2. You can send a text message to USA TODAY
Cost: Standard text messaging rates apply, no additional costs are charged

Process:
1. Type in the name of the team you are interested in. You need the college name, but not the mascot. You usually won't need the word "college" or "university", but if you get back funny results, you may want to try that.

2. Send the message to the code "44636" (GIMEN)
3. It will respond back with the last men's basketball score and the in progress football score (or final score, as the case may be).

Comments: I like this when I can't get Tell Me to work because of background noise, or when I'm trying to be discreet (e.g. at a family event, at any place where I'm actually supposed to be paying attention to others and not preoccupied by the score of South Carolina State vs. North Carolina A&T)

Have a great day today, and good luck to all (especially, Hofstra, W&M, Montana, Ch. Southern, NDSU, Idaho State, NC A&T, EIU, and McNeese :D )

Eaglegus2
November 19th, 2005, 09:27 AM
This sounds awesome!!! I will try it today.

Weekends are free with my cell service. :D

slostang
November 19th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the great information. I will definately try it today. Good luck today.

youwouldno
November 19th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Wow, great stuff. I'll be trying it out next weekend, unfortunately going to be on the road.

AppState
November 19th, 2005, 11:16 AM
TellMe has been around for a few years. Great service, but you sometimes have to repeat yourself several times to be understood. They also do movies, weather, traffic, etc.

X-Factor
November 19th, 2005, 11:25 AM
wow, how can they do this service for free?

blackfordpu
November 19th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Thanks but I get the internet on my blackberry. Weird today though, I couldn't get any data signal to my phone in San Marcos.

FlyYtown
November 19th, 2005, 10:52 PM
That number is my new favorite. I will be spreading the word about it..

I am storing it in my cell and I encourage all to use it!

Retro
November 19th, 2005, 10:55 PM
No worries here.. I have each conference's scoreboard bookmarked on my cellphone.. It's a cingular world!! :D

http://www.cbsofwi.com/images/cinlogo.gif

McNeese75
November 19th, 2005, 11:49 PM
:confused: I just use the ESPN link to CFB scores on my cell phone (Sprint Vision Service). It allows me to keep up with all scores during the day.

kardplayer
November 19th, 2005, 11:54 PM
I probably should have titled it - "If you don't have INTERNET access". I don't have one of those fancy phones/blackberries like y'all do. :D :D :D

McNeese75
November 20th, 2005, 12:11 AM
I probably should have titled it - "If you don't have INTERNET access". I don't have one of those fancy phones/blackberries like y'all do. :D :D :D

:D

November 20th, 2005, 02:02 AM
... 1. 1-800-555-TELL...As detailed last week on I-AA WAVES! You WERE listening right?? :p It was also a thread on AGS a while ago.

kardplayer
November 20th, 2005, 06:06 AM
As detailed last week on I-AA WAVES! You WERE listening right?? :p It was also a thread on AGS a while ago.

Sorry Ralph, I was away on a business trip and couldn't listen in this week...

If this was a thread on AGS, it must have been a looong time ago, because I don't remember it. In any case, it helped FlyTown at a minimum, and how does that expression go? "If I can help just one person...";)

November 20th, 2005, 06:09 AM
Sorry Ralph, I was away on a business trip and couldn't listen in this week...

If this was a thread on AGS, it must have been a looong time ago, because I don't remember it. In any case, it helped FlyTown at a minimum, and how does that expression go? "If I can help just one person...";)Oh yeah! I found out about it on AGS and have used it every weekend this year! BTW I-AA WAVES is archived on the blog site. You'll love my impersonation of the recorded voices!

If you use a computer-like voice (monotone) when saying the team it works much better.

I'll call it up on the air today for everyone to hear!!