PDA

View Full Version : NCCU to the Big South??

DSUrocks07
December 17th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Rumors are going around that due to the MEAC dragging its feet on the issue of re-admitting NC Central to the conference, the Eagles are considering making a bid to join the Big South instead. Any more information on this? Even tho I would rather see them in the MEAC once again, (they WERE one of the founding members), theres nothing worse to see than an FCS school without a conference to call home.

TexasTerror
December 17th, 2008, 10:44 PM
NCCU in the Big South would be great if the MEAC looks like it will drag their feet. It'd help the Big South schools with scheduling (especially if Stony Brook leaves at the end of the deal) for the short term while still allowing NCCU to have a lot of flexibility to schedule MEAC and HBCUs.

NCCU could always move to MEAC later if that chance exists.

HIU 93
December 18th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Rumors are going around that due to the MEAC dragging its feet on the issue of re-admitting NC Central to the conference, the Eagles are considering making a bid to join the Big South instead. Any more information on this? Even tho I would rather see them in the MEAC once again, (they WERE one of the founding members), theres nothing worse to see than an FCS school without a conference to call home.

It will NEVER happen.

appfan2008
December 18th, 2008, 08:25 AM
It will NEVER happen.

why wouldnt it... nccu wants to get in a conference that is good regionally and has an auto bid... if the meac doesnt want them then the big south makes perfect sense to me...

HIU 93
December 18th, 2008, 08:32 AM
why wouldnt it...

Because the Big South won't take Central.

Appfan_in_CAAland
December 18th, 2008, 09:43 AM

If they need another school to keep the new autobid, and no other options are there, they'd take them.

It is unfortunate when a school makes the jump and finds themselves without a home. Longwood has really had the worse deal - Big South rolled out the welcome mat and when Longwood said okay, BSC answered "sorry, we only want football schools now." But NC Central not yet in the MEAC is a close second.

SoccerSmells
December 18th, 2008, 01:08 PM
The Big South, from what I've heard from within the league, might consider NCCU indeed. We'll see. Not a bad fit in my opinion. Central has always enjoyed solid support and has a rich history in several sports.

catamount man
December 18th, 2008, 01:18 PM

One word, WHY?

SuperJon
December 18th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I'm still bitter from NC Central screwing us last year.

SuperJon
December 18th, 2008, 01:20 PM

They're a traditional school. Of course our joke of a commissioner would take them. I think he's tried to convince every DII school in NC, SC, and GA to move up and come into the Big South.

I can't stand that guy.

UD77
December 18th, 2008, 01:24 PM
They could join the CAA - we need a couple more teams to have a North, Central and South divisions. We could then get three automatic bids and maybe three or four at large in up coming years.:)

gophoenix
December 18th, 2008, 02:21 PM
They're a traditional school. Of course our joke of a commissioner would take them. I think he's tried to convince every DII school in NC, SC, and GA to move up and come into the Big South.

I can't stand that guy.

So what would you rather he did?

IaaScribe
December 18th, 2008, 04:06 PM
This thread is sponsored by Royal Purple.

SuperJon
December 18th, 2008, 04:56 PM
This thread is sponsored by Royal Purple.

We almost stole one of those big inflatable Royal Purple things from VMI when we went over there for a game. Well, we didn't. My friends almost did. I advised them not to, since, you know, cadets are kinda trained to kill us. I don't know what they wanted to do with it, but we see them all the time and they wanted one.

Tod
December 19th, 2008, 12:36 AM
We almost stole one of those big inflatable Royal Purple things from VMI when we went over there for a game. Well, we didn't. My friends almost did. I advised them not to, since, you know, cadets are kinda trained to kill us. I don't know what they wanted to do with it, but we see them all the time and they wanted one.

They're not trained to kill you, but you'll do in a pinch. :p

WileECoyote06
December 19th, 2008, 01:28 AM
The Big South, from what I've heard from within the league, might consider NCCU indeed. We'll see. Not a bad fit in my opinion. Central has always enjoyed solid support and has a rich history in several sports.

Several alums are all for it. Several wish to wait on the MEAC. Logistically, and in terms of hard dollars it makes sense.

We can keep our traditional rivals (A&T, WSSU, Shaw/FSU) and besides, say what you want, but the Eagles travel and have entertainment value with their band.

I've said since last year, I'm all for it. If the MEAC can't make up their minds, then screw em.

See my siggy!

WileECoyote06
December 19th, 2008, 01:33 AM
I'm still bitter from NC Central screwing us last year.

I honestly think that the only reason we backed out on Liberty; is because we wanted the A & T gate and they wouldn't play us on Labor Day weekend when we were able to utilize Wallace Wade stadium.

knucklehead
December 19th, 2008, 10:09 AM

What is worse that stupid Royal Purple thing or The Giant Mr Smoothie?

knucklehead
December 19th, 2008, 10:11 AM
(especially if Stony Brook leaves at the end of the deal) .

Did I miss something? Is it believed that this might happen?

ATrain
December 19th, 2008, 11:25 AM
If they need another school to keep the new autobid, and no other options are there, they'd take them.

It is unfortunate when a school makes the jump and finds themselves without a home. Longwood has really had the worse deal - Big South rolled out the welcome mat and when Longwood said okay, BSC answered "sorry, we only want football schools now." But NC Central not yet in the MEAC is a close second.

Umm, no...Longwood joined Division I hoping to be accepted into the Big South. The Big South never said they would take Longwood.

Libertine
December 19th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Stony Brook's contract with the Big South is up after the 2011 season.

knucklehead
December 19th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Stony Brook's contract with the Big South is up after the 2011 season.

I got that old friend, but is there reason to believe they will not reup or be asked to reup?

WileECoyote06
December 19th, 2008, 12:05 PM
I got that old friend, but is there reason to believe they will not reup or be asked to reup?

Won't the NEC have an autobid by then?

DSUrocks07
December 20th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Regionalization is the wave of the future...especially in this economy. xnodx

Travel costs will lead to a retraction of the size of conferences.

NCCU in the Big South can work...so can SSU as well for that matter.

ToTheLeft
December 20th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Yeah, I think this would be a very good move. Add a team with a history and A BAND (Yes, I am talking to you G-W and Presby) to the conference to give us security in case we lose SBU or VMI.

UNHWildCats
December 20th, 2008, 10:48 AM
I think the hope would be for Stony Brook that a new northeast conference was on the verge of emerging with the hugeness of the CAA.

DSUrocks07
December 20th, 2008, 11:21 AM
I think the hope would be for Stony Brook that a new northeast conference was on the verge of emerging with the hugeness of the CAA.

I would be in support of bringing back a new Yankee Conference with all the CAA North schools. xthumbsupx

Seawolf97
December 20th, 2008, 04:47 PM

I would hope SBU stays in the Big South beyond 2011. Not sure any new
conferences are going to appear or the CAA is going to implode.

CoastalFan2005
December 20th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Regionalization is the wave of the future...especially in this economy. xnodx

Travel costs will lead to a retraction of the size of conferences.

NCCU in the Big South can work...so can SSU as well for that matter.

NCCU I'll take in the Big South...SSU, not so much.

CoastalFan2005
December 20th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Yeah, I think this would be a very good move. Add a team with a history and A BAND (Yes, I am talking to you G-W and Presby) to the conference to give us security in case we lose SBU or VMI.

GWU has a relatively new marching band...their band director just died last year, though.

NoCoDanny
December 21st, 2008, 12:59 AM
This will happen, guaranteed.

dgreco
December 21st, 2008, 08:30 AM

SSU had a better season...

DSUrocks07
December 21st, 2008, 08:44 AM

I'll go out on a limb and say that SSU will be a force to be reckoned with in whatever conference they end up in a few years (Big South, MEAC, etc.) They're on the right track and do have some things going in their favor.

Hoseinexile07
December 21st, 2008, 01:20 PM

Who cares about a friggin' BAND? What matters is the quality of the football team. Last time I checked, "Quality [or even Existence ]of Band" is not a criterion for admission into the playoffs.

WileECoyote06
December 21st, 2008, 01:30 PM

SSU is still on NCAA sanctions until next year. Besides, we beat them.

eaglesrthe1
December 21st, 2008, 01:39 PM
SSU has no money. As soon as the coach proves his success, he will be getting other offers. Then you will see if SSU is serious about raising the profile of their program by writing a check.

gobluehose1
December 21st, 2008, 01:40 PM

we have a band.....its nothing like NCCU's but its a band

Sly Fox
December 22nd, 2008, 01:25 PM
The SBU contract was set to coincide with Presby's eligibility in the count. Unless somebody bolts then I don't see a desperate need to add NCCU.

Consider me crazy if you must, but with the auto bid on the horizon I'd love to see us make a run at one or two of the traditional MEAC powers to make a switch (i.e. SC State or Hampton). Joining the Big South would be a nice boost to other sports beyond football for the entries.

zilla
December 22nd, 2008, 02:14 PM
I do know that the Big South prides itself for being a pretty good, mid-major baseball conference. CCU made the Super Regionals last year. Also, Winthrop makes the field of 64 quite frequently & Liberty is stepping-up their program.

NCCU went 6-30 last year in baseball. Those wins came against St. Augustine's, Virginia State, & Claflin College.

I don't follow basketball enough to know how good the Eagles are in that sport.

I just don't see a full-membership invitation being extended to NCCU at any point in the forseeable future. I could see Kallander reaching out to the Eagles for a football-only affiliation, which the Big South is notorious for (see Stony Brook & Gardner-Webb prior to this year).

Just my opinion...

kirkblitz
December 27th, 2008, 07:00 AM
any more news?

DX Man
December 27th, 2008, 09:56 AM
It will NEVER happen.

I just have a 3 word answer: Tennessee State University

WileECoyote06
December 27th, 2008, 11:23 AM
I do know that the Big South prides itself for being a pretty good, mid-major baseball conference. CCU made the Super Regionals last year. Also, Winthrop makes the field of 64 quite frequently & Liberty is stepping-up their program.

NCCU went 6-30 last year in baseball. Those wins came against St. Augustine's, Virginia State, & Claflin College.

I don't follow basketball enough to know how good the Eagles are in that sport.

I just don't see a full-membership invitation being extended to NCCU at any point in the forseeable future. I could see Kallander reaching out to the Eagles for a football-only affiliation, which the Big South is notorious for (see Stony Brook & Gardner-Webb prior to this year).

Just my opinion...

Baseball will come along soon. The program is very young (three years); and in the last year in Division II; they nearly won a conference title. When the team gets into it's permanent home in the newly renovated (old) Durham Bulls Athletic Park; it will help recruiting immensely.

My concern is Men's basketball.

g-webb1994
December 27th, 2008, 10:53 PM
NCCU would be a welcome addition. Savannah State is broke, pass on them.

Yes, as stated G-W has a new marching band. Sid Haton is sorely missed however, what a great person he was, top notch indeed.:(

elon77
December 28th, 2008, 09:57 AM

I did not know your school was a supporter of stealing ?xconfusedx

SuperJon
December 29th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Which is why I didn't do it.

I never said the people with me were from Liberty.

Biff
December 29th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Who cares about a friggin' BAND? What matters is the quality of the football team. Last time I checked, "Quality [or even Existence ]of Band" is not a criterion for admission into the playoffs.

While I think a good band helps game atmosphere, there is no requirement and a stupid reason to excuse a team.

I know on The Citadel board, we have been discussing the hope of scheduling NCCU early as this coming season.

bosshogg
January 5th, 2009, 02:08 PM

I wish wish the MEAC would kick SCSU out so we could join the Big South

bosshogg
January 5th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Consider me crazy if you must, but with the auto bid on the horizon I'd love to see us make a run at one or two of the traditional MEAC powers to make a switch (i.e. SC State or Hampton). Joining the Big South would be a nice boost to other sports beyond football for the entries.

we would like to see it too!

lizrdgizrd
January 5th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Baseball will come along soon. The program is very young (three years); and in the last year in Division II; they nearly won a conference title. When the team gets into it's permanent home in the newly renovated (old) Durham Bulls Athletic Park; it will help recruiting immensely.

My concern is Men's basketball.

I didn't know NCCU was going to be using the DAP. That's great! Lot's of tradition there and it's a nice size for college baseball.

appstate38
January 5th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Whether NCCU joins the Big South or not.... We will extend to them a BIG SoCon welcome to the Rock this fall.

DX Man
January 5th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Whether NCCU joins the Big South or not.... We will extend to them a BIG SoCon welcome to the Rock this fall.

Yes, we will indeed!xnodx

ASU
January 5th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Several alums are all for it. Several wish to wait on the MEAC. Logistically, and in terms of hard dollars it makes sense.

We can keep our traditional rivals (A&T, WSSU, Shaw/FSU) and besides, say what you want, but the Eagles travel and have entertainment value with their band.

I've said since last year, I'm all for it. If the MEAC can't make up their minds, then screw em.

See my siggy!

I look forward to seeing N.C. Central -vs- Appalachian State this year.........my best friend from work graduated from N.C. Central and I graduated from Appalachian......should be a really good game, we were talking about going together a few weeks ago, especially with Central's band......and 'Apps "Band of Distinction".....in the finished refurbished Kidd Brewer Stadium.

Central and S.C. State should come over to the SoCon.....even though the SoCon suppossedly has the "perfect number" right now of 9 football teams....that way they play 8 conference games and 3 or 4 OOC (will be 11 total games then back to 12 games in 2010 for FCS)....the SoCon needs to add some good schools to compete with the CAA.....numbers help with the additional bids. S.C. State brought a really good and knowledgeable crowd up to the Rock during the playoffs.....it was so nice having their fans in town. Only thing I didn't like was all the time outs at the end of the game.

WileECoyote06
January 6th, 2009, 10:47 AM
I look forward to seeing N.C. Central -vs- Appalachian State this year.........my best friend from work graduated from N.C. Central and I graduated from Appalachian......should be a really good game, we were talking about going together a few weeks ago, especially with Central's band......and 'Apps "Band of Distinction".....in the finished refurbished Kidd Brewer Stadium.

Central and S.C. State should come over to the SoCon.....even though the SoCon suppossedly has the "perfect number" right now of 9 football teams....that way they play 8 conference games and 3 or 4 OOC (will be 11 total games then back to 12 games in 2010 for FCS)....the SoCon needs to add some good schools to compete with the CAA.....numbers help with the additional bids. S.C. State brought a really good and knowledgeable crowd up to the Rock during the playoffs.....it was so nice having their fans in town. Only thing I didn't like was all the time outs at the end of the game.

I appreciate the kind words and invite. But I'm realistic and know that NCCU ain't ready yet. . .just don't kick our teeth in too badly. Now in 2011/2012; we can revisit this convo. xthumbsupx

HIU 93
January 6th, 2009, 11:42 AM
I wish wish the MEAC would kick SCSU out so we could join the Big South

And not have an autobid to the playoffs? Why? Why would you want to leave a conference with an autobid for one that does not have an auto bid?

DSUrocks07
January 6th, 2009, 12:00 PM
And not have an autobid to the playoffs? Why? Why would you want to leave a conference with an autobid for one that does not have an auto bid?

The Big South will have an auto starting in 2010.

bosshogg
January 6th, 2009, 01:59 PM

because they will have one.....

CSUBUCDAD
January 6th, 2009, 02:10 PM
I would love to see SC State in the Big South. Just 40 miles up the road. Now if we could get those wusses downtown to sign back up to play that would be great. Two away games and less than hundred miles of driving.

kirkblitz
January 6th, 2009, 05:06 PM
i would give anything to see SC states band each year, the 101 is the greatest thing ever xbawlingx

kirkblitz
January 14th, 2009, 04:11 PM
dead?

IaaScribe
January 15th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I don't think it was ever alive, at least not from the Big South's end.

kirkblitz
January 15th, 2009, 08:00 PM
I don't think it was ever alive, at least not from the Big South's end.

damn xbawlingx

IaaScribe
January 16th, 2009, 12:27 PM
I think the league is amenable to taking on a few more associate football members, but with 10 teams in for all sports now, I can't see them wanting to take on another school. My guess is that NCCU would like to find an all-sports home, so I don't think the fit is there.

WestCoastAggie
February 4th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I appreciate the kind words and invite. But I'm realistic and know that NCCU ain't ready yet. . .just don't kick our teeth in too badly. Now in 2011/2012; we can revisit this convo. xthumbsupx

PLEASE, PLEASE....PLEASE DESTROY THOSE DANG BIRDIES FROM DURHAM!!!xthumbsupx

R.A.
February 8th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Claflin College.

Claflin University