PDA

View Full Version : Coach Brown to Yale?

KAUMASS
December 17th, 2008, 03:37 PM
OK,

Rumors swhirling that Coach Brown is a finalist for the Yale Job. Time to devote a thread. I'm trying to understand the logic, but I don't see it unless he wants out of UMass. Maybe his is tired or burnt with the pressure of the CAA and high expectations set at UMass.

'Gotta say, nice timing with recruiting xnonono2x. His alma mater is Norwich. He doesn't seem like a Yale guy to me. He was a DC there, but I don't think he fits the Yale image. I do think he can turn the program around, but where is it going to go except to win the Ivy.(no disrespect to the Ivy, but no playoffs).

Let's assume he goes. Who's applying? Any thoughts?
Maine Jeff will be happy because I'm sure Cosgrov would apply!!

Husky Alum
December 17th, 2008, 03:54 PM
There's already a thread on this about the Yale Coaching job.

dennisdent
December 17th, 2008, 04:08 PM
This thread should have a different name—“If Brown leaves UMass, who should replace him.”

How about the Williams coach—proven winner. Marty Fine at Bentley could be good choice..

Can't wait to read Husky Alum's comments on Brown if he goes. :)

Maroon&White
December 17th, 2008, 04:19 PM
This thread should have a different name—“If Brown leaves UMass, who should replace him.”

How about the Williams coach—proven winner. Marty Fine at Bentley could be good choice..

Can't wait to read Husky Alum's comments on Brown if he goes. :)

Mike Whalen, are you serious? You realize schools like Amherst and Williams send their coaches to UMass practices to learn from these coaches. No way they could make that job now.

dennisdent
December 17th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Mike Whalen, are you serious? You realize schools like Amherst and Williams send their coaches to UMass practices to learn from these coaches. No way they could make that job now.

Still stalking me M&Wxlolxxeekx Why not, the former Yale Coach came from Amherst. He's a long shot, but I've seen him in action and he's a great coach and an even better motivator.

Jackman
December 17th, 2008, 04:37 PM
If Yale is having trouble deciding between the coaches at UMass and Holy Cross, maybe we should be looking at the coach at Holy Cross. They certainly played us well enough.

danefan
December 17th, 2008, 04:42 PM
UMass could look at Chuck Priore at Stony Brook, but I feel like Priore shot himself in the foot for now with the complete implosion Stony Brook had this year.

Maroon&White
December 17th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Still stalking me M&Wxlolxxeekx Why not, the former Yale Coach came from Amherst. He's a long shot, but I've seen him in action and he's a great coach and an even better motivator.

Sorry, but I have no idea what you are refering to with that first statement. xconfusedx

Just because the former Yale coach did it, doesn't mean this guy can. It is a huge leap. I've also seen the Longmeadow HS coach in action, great coach and even better motivator. Doesn't mean he can coach UMass.

dennisdent
December 17th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Sorry, but I have no idea what you are refering to with that first statement. xconfusedx

Just because the former Yale coach did it, doesn't mean this guy can. It is a huge leap. I've also seen the Longmeadow HS coach in action, great coach and even better motivator. Doesn't mean he can coach UMass.

Check your history & pms since 2005. xrulesx

I said it was longshot; he is proven winner at the college level (4 years, 26-6 (.813). He's coached at the FCS level already:

Whalen's coaching career began at Springfield College where he served as a graduate assistant in both football and wrestling while earning a Master's in Physical Education. Upon completing his degree requirements at Springfield, Whalen joined the staff at Penn and the 1986 Quakers went undefeated and won the Ivy League title. From Penn Whalen moved on to Lafayette where the Leopards won the Colonial League title in 1988 and the Patriot League title in 1989. In 1993 Whalen went to Colgate University where he was the Associate Head Coach and offensive line coach for the Red Raiders.

http://williams.prestosports.com/sports/fball/coaches/Mike_Whalen?tmpl=/information/directory/bio-template

umassfan
December 17th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Mark Whipple will come back to UMass

Libertine
December 17th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Mark Whipple will come back to UMass

Why?

umassfan
December 18th, 2008, 02:10 AM
Why?

Why not... one easy reason is because his son will be a Soph at UMass next year.

saint0917
December 18th, 2008, 06:05 AM
University of Massachusetts football coach Don Brown may be packing his bags for the Ivy League.

Brown is considered the front-runner for the vacant top football job at Yale after interviewing for the position, according to The New Haven Register.

Brown, who is 43-19 in five years at UMass, was the defensive coordinator under Yale legend Carm Cozza from 1987-1992, and was a candidate for the job when Cozza retired in 1996.

Former Amherst College coach Jack Siedlecki beat Brown out for the job, and coached the Bulldogs for 12 years until announcing his retirement last month to become an assistant athletic director at the New Haven, Conn., university.

Don Brown to Yale (http://www.masslive.com/sports/index.ssf/2008/12/umass_football_coach_don_brown_1.html)

Jackman
December 18th, 2008, 03:36 PM
It's been posted a couple other places, but just to close this thread out:

Brown staying at UMass (http://www.dailyhampshiregazette.com/umsports/blog/index.cfm/2008/12/18/UMass-Brown-is-staying)