PDA

View Full Version : Hogs QB to SHSU, UCA, SLC?

TexasTerror
December 16th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Nathan Dick of Arkansas has been released. Of course, the below says he would have to sit out a year if he went to a Division I. Guess they do not realize that SHSU and UCA, both rumored to be his favorites, are not Div I? Word had been circulating in Huntsville for a few weeks, possibly a month about Dick following in the footsteps of McCown and Long, Chaloupka and Bomar....

Figure UCA is the favorite based off of what Brown has done and his familiarity with the state...though perhaps Texas would be better for him? Not sure.
----------------------

Dick, according to a university press release, will be immediately eligible at the schools he is considering. That most likely means he will transfer to Division II or lower, since NCAA rules stipulate sitting out a year when moving from one Divison I school to another.

Arkansas did not grant Dick a blanket release, according to the athletic department. He gave the university specific schools he was considering.

After redshirting in 2007, Dick completed 36 of 62 passes for 454 yards with 4 touchdowns and 2 interceptions this season. He played in three games, starting the final two.

http://arkansasbusiness.com/sports_article.asp?lID=&bID=&cID=sZ&aID=110946.54928.123027

CSUBUCDAD
December 17th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Why do so many sports writers get this wrong. You are not immediately eligible if you transfer from FBS to FBS(Div 1A) you are, however, immediately eligible if you transfer from FBS to FCS(Div 1AA). FCS is still Div 1 regardless of what you call it. You do not have to transfer to a Div II from Div 1A to be immediately eligible.

txphi592
December 17th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Why do so many sports writers get this wrong. You are not immediately eligible if you transfer from FBS to FBS(Div 1A) you are, however, immediately eligible if you transfer from FBS to FCS(Div 1AA). FCS is still Div 1 regardless of what you call it. You do not have to transfer to a Div II from Div 1A to be immediately eligible.

because to the rest of the world...if it's not FBS it's "some division II school"

GannonFan
December 17th, 2008, 02:06 PM
And of course, why do we care so much what other people think about this? We're the next level down from FBS, and yeah, there are two levels in DI, but it's only in college football that the next level down from the top of DI is something other than DII. In reality, the only reason why it's DI still (first I-AA and now FCS) is to protect the image of the other, non-football sports, so that a school can say they are DI in all sports (since the other sports don't have multiple DI designations). If we didn't care about the other sports potentially being perceived as a lower level then we would redo the football numbering and it would be DI, DII, DIII, and DIV. Much ado about nothing when we rant on about this idea that we're being dissed because someone mislabels our football classification.

TexasTerror
December 17th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Latest article from the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette includes Texas State University - San Marcos in the mix for Nathan Dick.

So the list as of now includes: UCA, TXST and SHSU.

Anyone else got other information?

nwFL Griz
December 17th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Article has been fixed, so somebody must have sent the guy an email or something.

chrisattsu
December 17th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Latest article from the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette includes Texas State University - San Marcos in the mix for Nathan Dick.

So the list as of now includes: UCA, TXST and SHSU.

Anyone else got other information?

Thanks, but George is back for another season and Hawkins after that. I think we are set unless this kid is something special.

TexasTerror
December 24th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Zem is reporting that Nathan Dick has sent his release to the Bobcats. For you newbies to the Southland, Zem is one of the more respected online posters in the conference, known for his old column, "Zem's Gems". General thought is he more than likely sent his releases to the school(s) he is interested in and that TXST is one of them. (thanks Lionsrking).

Nathan Dick has sent his release to Texas State, although nothing publically has been stated. The younger brother of starter Casey Dick played in several games last year, including taking over for older brother against LSU. Ryan Mallet, 6'5 230 strong arm QB from Texarkana is sitting out at UA after leaving Michigan when Coach Carr was fired. Nathan told the media that he was seeking a smaller school closer to home(Allen). Texas State is about 300 miles from Allen, but slightly closer than Fayetteville, and Texas State has about 10,000 more students than UA, but who is counting. I thought it might be Sam Houston, but indications are he is leaning to TSU.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/geauxcowboys/messages/?msg=9673.1

Lionsrking
December 25th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Zem is reporting that Nathan Dick will join the Bobcats. For you newbies to the Southland, Zem is one of the more respected online posters in the conference, known for his old column, "Zem's Gems".

I'm still trying to confirm. This is what was posted.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/geauxcowboys/messages/?msg=9673.1

That's not exactly what Zem is saying...he simply said he sent a release to Texas State and it appears to him that's where he's headed...I'm sure Dick sent releases to all of the schools he asked releases for.

TexasTerror
December 25th, 2008, 07:34 AM
That's not exactly what Zem is saying...he simply said he sent a release to Texas State and it appears to him that's where he's headed...I'm sure Dick sent releases to all of the schools he asked releases for.

Very valid point. Great job, Lionsrking! xnodx

BEAR
December 25th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Nathan Dick has sent releases to several SLC schools and has taken a visit to UCA last Saturday. His decision apparently isn't final even though one poster on the UCA board says he signed with UCA. I don't think he has chosen a school yet so it's all speculation at this point. I wish him well wherever he goes though! xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
December 27th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Here's an article on his visit to Conway, Ark...

http://www.nwanews.com/adg/Sports/247390/

For what it's worth, mentions that SHSU is a better fit than TXST because they got George coming back compared to the Kats having Bomar gone. That's any outsider's view to the comparison, but surprised a NWA paper was informed of such issues to mention it.

chrisattsu
December 28th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Here's an article on his visit to Conway, Ark...

http://www.nwanews.com/adg/Sports/247390/

For what it's worth, mentions that SHSU is a better fit than TXST because they got George coming back compared to the Kats having Bomar gone. That's any outsider's view to the comparison, but surprised a NWA paper was informed of such issues to mention it.

TT,

I thought y'all had that SMU QB coming in?

TexasTerror
December 28th, 2008, 01:28 PM
TT, I thought y'all had that SMU QB coming in?

No telling. xoopsx

FormerPokeCenter
December 30th, 2008, 09:39 AM
No telling. xoopsx

Does Texas State REALLY need to enroll another Dick?

HPCAT
December 30th, 2008, 10:58 AM

I find it fitting that TXST might re-load with Dick, so he can also enjoy the pleasure of taking it to MSU, especially in the Hole, although after 3 straight TXST road wins, it does not seem to be as tight as it used to be.

TexasTerror
December 30th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Well, at the very least -- Dick can be there for a few more losses to Nicholls. Seems as of late TXST wins one, only to have three straight losses to the Colonels follow. :)

HPCAT
December 30th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Well, at the very least -- Dick can be there for a few more losses to Nicholls. Seems as of late TXST wins one, only to have three straight losses to the Colonels follow. :)

There is no doubt that Nicholls State has been far more competitive with TXST than SHST has, not only the last 4 years, but for the overall series.

If you are so sure about a NSU win the next 3 years, put your money where your mouth is.

It is a safer bet to see SHST in last place again in the SLC.

MaximumBobcat
December 31st, 2008, 12:57 AM

Didn't realize you had started graduate school in San Marcos. :D

MaximumBobcat
December 31st, 2008, 01:03 AM

LOL, TT used to love to spew that we had a losing streak to Nicholls. We beat them this year pretty solidly (34-10) and he comes up with something stupid like this in an attempt to degrade our program.

Just ridiculous. But that is TT, what can you say.

xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

CatMom07
December 31st, 2008, 01:12 AM

Hmm, the series record is 12 -15. You do the math and show me how they win 3 then we win 1 then they win 3. Recently, yes, but not all time. Doesn't wash.

Who have they got coming back anyway? Anybody worth worrying about? I think not. (just MHO)

CatMom07
December 31st, 2008, 01:20 AM
Bottom Line, we don't need another QB right now other than a possible Freshman committment or 2. We will have George, Hawkins (soph) and Garcia (rs frosh)

Bearkats94
January 2nd, 2009, 01:46 PM
There is no doubt that Nicholls State has been far more competitive with TXST than SHST has, not only the last 4 years, but for the overall series.

If you are so sure about a NSU win the next 3 years, put your money where your mouth is.

It is a safer bet to see SHST in last place again in the SLC.

All I can say is that better not happen again.xnonox

TexasTerror
January 2nd, 2009, 02:49 PM
Hmm, the series record is 12 -15. You do the math and show me how they win 3 then we win 1 then they win 3. Recently, yes, but not all time. Doesn't wash.

Was referring to recently, which is most of what the Bobcat fans recall anyways, since most would like to ignore the pre-Bailiff years of Div I, I'd figure. ;)

Who have they got coming back anyway? Anybody worth worrying about? I think not. (just MHO)

Webb is gone. Antonio Robinson is back. Outside of Webb, that was their most skilled player if you ask me. They do lose both Montgomery and Bunch, which should make things interesting.

As long as they run that option, they'll be tough.

Purple Pride
January 2nd, 2009, 03:33 PM
So. Is he making any visits this weekend? Has he made up his mind? What's up?

TexasTerror
January 2nd, 2009, 03:40 PM
So. Is he making any visits this weekend? Has he made up his mind? What's up?

On KatFans -- word was that SHSU was going to be his final visit. He obviously needs to make up his mind here in the next week with many of the schools starting classes soon. This isn't the East Coast, where places wait til after MLK day.

slycat
January 2nd, 2009, 05:39 PM
On KatFans -- word was that SHSU was going to be his final visit. He obviously needs to make up his mind here in the next week with many of the schools starting classes soon. This isn't the East Coast, where places wait til after MLK day.

When I went to Texas St we started classes after MLK day.

TexasTerror
January 2nd, 2009, 05:46 PM
When I went to Texas St we started classes after MLK day.

How recent was this? You sure the school wasn't named Southwest Texas then?

SHSU starts on the Monday (a week before) before MLK. When I was there, we'd start the Wednesday prior to MLK. Get our syllabi those few days and then come back the next week after MLK ready to hit the ground running.

slycat
January 3rd, 2009, 03:39 PM
How recent was this? You sure the school wasn't named Southwest Texas then?

SHSU starts on the Monday (a week before) before MLK. When I was there, we'd start the Wednesday prior to MLK. Get our syllabi those few days and then come back the next week after MLK ready to hit the ground running.

I graduated in May 2007. I went to SWT for a couple weeks since the name change didn't go in effect until 9/1/03.

Texas State still starts after MLK day.

http://www.registrar.txstate.edu/persistent-links/academic-calendar/contentParagraph/00/text_files/file/Academic%20Calendar%20Spring2009.pdf

Purple Pride
January 4th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Democrat-Gazette reporting this morning (Sun) that Nathan Dick has narrowed his choices to Texas Southern and UCA.

Hopes to make a decision by Tuesday.

Purple Pride
January 4th, 2009, 10:00 AM
On KatFans -- word was that SHSU was going to be his final visit. He obviously needs to make up his mind here in the next week with many of the schools starting classes soon. This isn't the East Coast, where places wait til after MLK day.UCA's spring semester starts on 1/15.

TexasTerror
January 4th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Here's an article about his visit to TSU...the Houston variety, not to be confused with San Marcos for you out of staters.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/ci_11364589

813Jag
January 4th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Here's an article about his visit to TSU...the Houston variety, not to be confused with San Marcos for you out of staters.

He could throw the ball around at TSU.

3rd Coast Tiger
January 4th, 2009, 02:32 PM
He could throw the ball around at TSU.

Could isn't the word. The HOBO would throw his arm out socket.

HPCAT
January 4th, 2009, 03:59 PM

LMAO........any educated fan is fully aware that Texas State only recognizes the acronym of TXST, always has, always will be.

If you do not know that by now, you are not half as intelligent as you seem to think you are.

But back on topic, TXST will do fine with our "inconsistent" QB George who will be highest rated returning QB in the SLC and 4th in the FCS.

Good luck with SHST landing an "all world" QB transfer that might sneak into the FCS top 40 rankngs by years end with another losing record and last place SLC finish.

TSUalum05
January 4th, 2009, 08:57 PM
HOUSTON --
Former Arkansas quarterback, Nathan Dick, who recently received his release from the Razorbacks, was in Houston Saturday to visit Texas Southern University.

"I think it would be a great opportunity for me," Dick said in an interview with FOX 26 Sports.

The 6-4, 217 pound quarterback likes the offensive philosophy of TSU head coach Johnnie Cole.

"I love it," Dick said. "We have had a chance to talk about it and I like everything he said.

"It sounds good to me and I am excited."

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pages/Sports/Detail?contentId=8189773&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.1.1

BobcatJH
January 5th, 2009, 08:48 AM
HOUSTON --
Former Arkansas quarterback, Nathan Dick, who recently received his release from the Razorbacks, was in Houston Saturday to visit Texas Southern University.

"I think it would be a great opportunity for me," Dick said in an interview with FOX 26 Sports.

The 6-4, 217 pound quarterback likes the offensive philosophy of TSU head coach Johnnie Cole.

"I love it," Dick said. "We have had a chance to talk about it and I like everything he said.

"It sounds good to me and I am excited."

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pages/Sports/Detail?contentId=8189773&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.1.1

What about the defensive philosophy or lack thereof?!?!?

I guess they failed to discuss that important metric. Have fun losing games 67-49 every Saturday.

This kid would be third on the depth chart at Texas State.

TexasTerror
January 5th, 2009, 09:27 AM
But back on topic, TXST will do fine with our "inconsistent" QB George who will be highest rated returning QB in the SLC and 4th in the FCS.

George, top returning QB in the league? You are pointing to one category, pass efficiency. Moses is by far the best returning QB in this league and I'd think some would argue Fourroux in that mix against Moses, another QB that is better than George.

Other national rankings...

#2 in passing (Fourroux #46, George #50)
#2 in passing yardage per game (George #32, Fourroux #44)
#3 in total offense (Fourroux #30, George #39)

And he has Duane Brooks returning. Sure Edison will finally be gone for SFA, but Brooks is going to be a VERY explosive player.

Cameron Luke will be gone for George. Figure that hurts more than Edison.

CatMom07
January 5th, 2009, 10:09 AM
It's a toss up at best.

We have Dillard, Rivas, Bush and Dunk all returning. All are very good, have experience and likely will platoon making up for Luke. (and we don't know what redshirt may be coming off the bench to help out)

A team/QB is not just passing, but the sum of all its offense
Team Offense TxSt - 6, SFA - 13
The QB leads the offense, not just passing.

I still say - toss up

mikebigg
January 5th, 2009, 10:50 AM
What about the defensive philosophy or lack thereof?!?!?

I guess they failed to discuss that important metric. Have fun losing games 67-49 every Saturday.

This kid would be third on the depth chart at Texas State.

If so, then why are you taking shots at his possibly enrolling at Texas Southern? Kinda reminds me of Aesop's Dog in the Manger Fable.

BEAR
January 5th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Ah..just send him to UCA and we'll have a balanced league again..

TexasTerror
January 5th, 2009, 11:53 AM
The Univ of Texas kid is transferring to according to our friends at TSPN. Some of those TSPNers are hinting that he's going to PV. Any chance he looks at an SLC school?

El Gato
January 5th, 2009, 12:16 PM
George, top returning QB in the league? You are pointing to one category, pass efficiency. Moses is by far the best returning QB in this league and I'd think some would argue Fourroux in that mix against Moses, another QB that is better than George.

And he has Duane Brooks returning. Sure Edison will finally be gone for SFA, but Brooks is going to be a VERY explosive player.

B George's total yardage can be deceiving, considering the fact that he really didn't play a full game until after the Texas Southern game (he won the job in the 2nd quarter of that game when he came in and opened up with a 70 yd TD pass, 1 of 3 TD's for him that day). With the exception of a few games, the offense was pretty balanced (60%-40%) between running and passing:

CatMom07
January 5th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Plus we still have Canady, Bush and Rivas to run the ball, Hampton and McVaney at FB and 2 rs RBs to be tested. More balance.

Oops, forgot E J LeBlanc at WR

Lionsrking
January 5th, 2009, 02:08 PM

I would disagree with that completely...Moses is not even close to the best returning QB...he's in an offense where they throw it every down and by default will put up numbers but he wouldn't start in any other system in the SLC IMO...and I think every other returning QB in the SLC would start at SFA if they were in that system.

Purple Pride
January 6th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Like Clark, Dick goes with Bears

BY NICK WALKER ARKANSAS DEMOCRAT-GAZETTE

CONWAY — Former Arkansas Razorbacks quarterback Nathan Dick’s search for a new school took him three weeks and ended just 160 miles from Fayetteville.

Dick told Central Arkansas Coach Clint Conque on Monday that he’s coming to Conway to play for Conque’s Bears.

“I just met with the coaches and I told them I’m committed to playing at the University of Central Arkansas,” Dick said from his home in Allen, Texas, on Monday.

3rd Coast Tiger
January 6th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Congrats Central Arkansas. You're getting a good quarterback. xthumbsupx

UCABEARS75
January 6th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Congrats Central Arkansas. You're getting a good quarterback. xthumbsupx

Thanks Coast, we (as fans) think that Nathan will be a good fit at UCA and should develop and grow and help us out in the next three years.

BobcatJH
January 6th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Just what the doctor ordered for UCA.

slycat
January 6th, 2009, 05:30 PM
UCA is competing with SHSU for transfer QBs

Purple Pride
January 6th, 2009, 09:28 PM
UCA is competing with SHSU for transfer QBs
Don't worry your little head.

No matter who the QB is at UCA, we'll always save a little something special for y'all. xwhistlex xsmiley_wix

TXST_CAT
January 6th, 2009, 11:55 PM

No matter who the QB is at UCA, we'll always save a little something special for y'all. xwhistlex xsmiley_wix

DITTO xthumbsupx

Also saw a quote saying Dick knows what it feels like to sit out a year and wanted to play "now". Wouldn't doubt this was one if not the only reason he didn't choose TXST. Our coaches are building this team from the ground up with solid High School recruits. Transfers can walk on like everyone else. And yes I said that right WALK ON. xnodx

UCABEARS75
January 7th, 2009, 10:34 AM
DITTO xthumbsupx

Also saw a quote saying Dick knows what it feels like to sit out a year and wanted to play "now". Wouldn't doubt this was one if not the only reason he didn't choose TXST. Our coaches are building this team from the ground up with solid High School recruits. Transfers can walk on like everyone else. And yes I said that right WALK ON. xnodx

There is no doubt that TXST is in a different position than UCA with regard to returning experience at QB.

However, transfers are a fact of life at the FCS level and most, if not all, teams with any degree of success will have some transfers from D-IA schools.

As I recall, a few years ago when TXST went fairly deep in the playoffs their QB was a transfer from Houston I believe.

Nathan Dick may very well start at UCA next season but he will have to win the job and I think the competition will be fierce.

BobcatJH
January 7th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Fierce?!?!?!

I highly doubt it....

Either this kid does not posses the stones to compete with George and Hawkins, or he is not as good as advertised.

He wanted to be all but assured of a starting job next season.

TexasTerror
January 7th, 2009, 11:52 AM
As I recall, a few years ago when TXST went fairly deep in the playoffs their QB was a transfer from Houston I believe.

We all know about the NCAA violation riddled acquisition of that one...

Texas State, which prior to the season ran into hot water when head coach Manny Matsakis made statements about Houston transfer Barrick Nealy before the quarterback had been released from his scholarship, could once again be subject to an investigation.

http://uncbears.cstv.com/genrel/010604aaa.html

UCABEARS75
January 7th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Fierce?!?!?!

I highly doubt it....

Either this kid does not posses the stones to compete with George and Hawkins, or he is not as good as advertised.

He wanted to be all but assured of a starting job next season.

I assure you he was assured nothing other than then opportunity to win the job.

He is not walking on at UCA, I will give you that.

BobcatJH
January 7th, 2009, 12:15 PM
IMHO Texas State and UCA are the most desireable destinations in the SLC.

I think it came down to there currently being less competition at that position in Conway.

El Gato
January 7th, 2009, 12:27 PM
IMHO Texas State and UCA are the most desirable destinations in the SLC.

I think it came down to there currently being less competition at that position in Conway.

Can't blame the guy, with the vacancy created by the departure of Nathan Brown, the QB job would be much easier to compete for at UCA than against a proven senior QB at TxState.

Congrats to UCA, they may end up faring well with Dick.

El Gato
January 7th, 2009, 12:30 PM
We all know about the NCAA violation riddled acquisition of that one...

http://uncbears.cstv.com/genrel/010604aaa.html

Another one you just can't let go. Always finding a way to bring these kinds of things up with every opportunity you get.xeyebrowx

Lionsrking
January 7th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Nathan Dick may very well start at UCA next season but he will have to win the job and I think the competition will be fierce.

You're joking right? I saw the "competition" and it wasn't "fierce."

JoshUCA
January 7th, 2009, 12:58 PM
You're joking right? I saw the "competition" and it wasn't "fierce."
I don't know who you've seen (Robbie Park, I'm assuming), but his biggest competition probably comes from red shirt freshman Trae Cook. Nathan will have to earn a spot on the team just like everyone else. Having several people fighting for the same spot makes the quality of player who earns that spot all the better!

BobcatJH
January 7th, 2009, 01:04 PM
I don't know who you've seen (Robbie Park, I'm assuming), but his biggest competition probably comes from red shirt freshman Trae Cook. Nathan will have to earn a spot on the team just like everyone else. Having several people fighting for the same spot makes the quality of player who earns that spot all the better!

He will have to fight about as hard as hard as Daniel Larusso did for the top spot at Miyagi-Do Karate.....

http://www.cobrakaidojo.com/albums/cobrakai_allvalley/PDVD_057.jpg

Lionsrking
January 7th, 2009, 01:45 PM

No one is saying he won't have to work hard and earn his keep, but to suggest he'll have "fierce" competition and it's unsettled who the starter will be, doesn't pass the laugh test. If your freshman was that talented, I doubt Clint would have pursued bringing in an FBS transfer with three years of eligibility left. But I understand the coach-speak.

UCABEARS75
January 7th, 2009, 01:50 PM

Losing battle Josh, these guys obviously know more about Trae Cook than we do.

UCABEARS75
January 7th, 2009, 01:51 PM
IMHO Texas State and UCA are the most desireable destinations in the SLC.

100% agree. (Plus the fact that his girlfriend is at UofA didn't hurt).

BobcatJH
January 7th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Well the sweepstakes is over. UCA landed a big time transfer.

I wish them the best of luck (except when they play the Bobcats).

I look forward to watching Texas State and UCA battling it out in the future for Southland championships. They have a good thing going in Conway.

slycat
January 7th, 2009, 06:42 PM

Hopefully not a return of the ESPN embarrassment. xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

BEAR
January 7th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Now it's over....can this thread officially die? :pumpuke: