PDA

View Full Version : Depth

URMite
December 16th, 2008, 08:08 AM
I think this is what has really changed at UR. I remember years where an injury to a single starter could ruin a season. Last season in September we lost 3 starters who were getting legitimate interest from the NFL and still made the semis. This year we have almost seemed like a Hydra instead of a spider. Vaughn was spliting time a RB but when the no. 2 went down, it seemed to make decide to take a larger leadership role. After the JMU game, what many consider our best olineman was reinjured and our rushing performance increased 40% (perhaps he never truly healed). 3 times a starter on D went down and the backup, who may have been a better matchup for the next game came in. (The starters were more versatile & complete at their position but the backups seemed more mobile & athletic) Lastly the FB was out and that seemed to have prompted the 1st yr OC to get more creative than he has been all season (even if it did take a game - 2nd half W&M 1st half EKU)

After watching this team for 28 years, I keep waiting for the bottom to fall out whenever there is misfortune, but win or lose, it doesn't appear that will happen on a consistent basis any time soon.

appfan2008
December 16th, 2008, 08:12 AM
that is the way things have become at app... and more improtantly due to the extra scholarships that is difference between fcs and fbs

MacThor
December 16th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Amen. Just look at the 4th Qtr against UNI. No Grayson, no problem. Donte Boston and Tre Grey are both Freshman.

We are only graduating two positions where the backups are a mystery - FB and TE. Of course losing our stud DE's will hurt, but Nick Battle and Pierre Turner are pretty darn good.

CSUBUCDAD
December 16th, 2008, 08:37 AM
This is one area that will seperate you from the competition in a hurry. Chuck South operated for years with less that half the schollys we were allowed and it showed. Now we are up to full scholly status and the depth is starting to build and it should start to payoff next year.

URMite
December 16th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Amen. Just look at the 4th Qtr against UNI. No Grayson, no problem. Donte Boston and Tre Grey are both Freshman.

We are only graduating two positions where the backups are a mystery - FB and TE. Of course losing our stud DE's will hurt, but Nick Battle and Pierre Turner are pretty darn good.

You can look at the ASU game too - neither #39 or # 24 were starters until injuries. Without any bruising FBs or big blocking TEs, and the top 2 RBs being what 5'10" 170lbs, I'm wondering if we should use a more mobile offense next year. I think the OC next year may be the key to the season.

ur2k
December 16th, 2008, 09:08 AM
The team has really bought into London's "Next man up" philosophy. You hear them mention this all the time in interviews.

MacThor
December 16th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Well the kids at FB and especially TE are big boys and the strength coaches will put meat on them. But yes Wilkins and Forte are small RBs. Forte has shown flashes of brilliance when healthy.

At least we have a lot of continuity on the big OL.

Hoyadestroya85
December 16th, 2008, 09:13 AM
You can look at the ASU game too - neither #39 or # 24 were starters until injuries. Without any bruising FBs or big blocking TEs, and the top 2 RBs being what 5'10" 170lbs, I'm wondering if we should use a more mobile offense next year. I think the OC next year may be the key to the season.
That seems like an ideal Spread offense. Ward is the perfect QB for the Spread.. and you guys have some good receivers. This should be interesting.

unhfan1
December 16th, 2008, 03:46 PM
It hurt UNH when our corner, Dino Vasso, was hurt in the first half against UNI. Depth is key especially in the playoffs.

TCisMYhero
December 16th, 2008, 03:49 PM
What the he11 is a hydra???

BlueHen86
December 16th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Mythical beast that battled Hercules, you cut off a head and seven more grow in it's place.

R3TRO
December 16th, 2008, 05:37 PM

HEH, Newb...

jk xpeacex

Chi Panther
December 16th, 2008, 07:20 PM

Just like UNI playing without their top 2 WRs....one an AA....

I however can't complain too much...Our Freshman did well.

Bettina90
December 16th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Those darn East Coast biased Cedar Falls police.

Cobblestone
December 16th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Depth hurt us this season. When Joe Casey went down in game # 1, our running game was shot. Although Jimmy Hughes did a decent job filling in, he's not an every down back. We had some decent backs but really we weren't deep enough.

beauvighn
December 16th, 2008, 07:52 PM
I think Wofford only funds somewhere in the neighborhood of 53 schollys. We are still short of most every team we play. However, I still think we compete pretty well.