PDA

View Full Version : Mickey Matthews

JMUOlejer
December 14th, 2008, 09:03 PM
So...I gave myself almost 48 hours to get over Friday night's loss...unpacking the car today and putting the tailgate gear away for the winter was awful...kinda like a funeral. A few things that need to be said at the end of this season.

First...congrats to Montana and Richmond for great playoff runs. I am looking forward to a battle Friday night.

Now...I hate to say it but this is getting to be way too familiar to me as a JMU fan...losing a playoff game that could and should have been won. Sitting in the stands against Youngstown and watching our 10 point fourth quarter lead slip away, the heartache of last years fumble at The Rock and now 4 turnovers against Montana. It needs to be said, Mickey Matthews is a great recruiter, he finds talented players and sells JMU to them but he is not a good coach when it comes to crunch time. He can't win a big game...2004 was won because we had Rascati, an offensive line that would not be denied, and a very strong defense...there was very little strategy involved...we pounded the ball and if we had to pass Rascati was reliable. I don't think we will achieve the highest level again with MM as the head coach.

Take nothing away from the Grizzlies, the Mountaineers or the Penguins the last three seasons but there is no way we should have lost ALL 3 of these games.

If MM decided to leave JMU I don't necessarily think it would be a bad thing...

ASUMountaineer
December 14th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Man, I am getting fat eating all of this xpopcornx, but some of these thread are like car wrecks, I have to look. This one could get interesting. :D

Native
December 14th, 2008, 09:08 PM
So...I gave myself almost 48 hours to get over Friday night's loss...unpacking the car today and putting the tailgate gear away for the winter was awful...kinda like a funeral. A few things that need to be said at the end of this season.

First...congrats to Montana and Richmond for great playoff runs. I am looking forward to a battle Friday night.

Now...I hate to say it but this is getting to be way too familiar to me as a JMU fan...losing a playoff game that could and should have been won. Sitting in the stands against Youngstown and watching our 10 point fourth quarter lead slip away, the heartache of last years fumble at The Rock and now 4 turnovers against Montana. It needs to be said, Mickey Matthews is a great recruiter, he finds talented players and sells JMU to them but he is not a good coach when it comes to crunch time. He can't win a big game...2004 was won because we had Rascati, an offensive line that would not be denied, and a very strong defense...there was very little strategy involved...we pounded the ball and if we had to pass Rascati was reliable. I don't think we will achieve the highest level again with MM as the head coach.

Take nothing away from the Grizzlies, the Mountaineers or the Penguins the last three seasons but there is no way we should have lost ALL 3 of these games.

Be careful what you wish for...

Reign of Terrier
December 14th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Mickey went undefeated against the CAA and Socon this year. Four turnovers will kill you in any game. A lot of the mistakes were out of his hands (turnovers). He has already won an NC so I wouldn't be calling for his head just yet. Just remember that JMU probably has a better win percentage in the semis than UNI (not smack) so it could be worse.

DCdukes
December 14th, 2008, 09:19 PM
With the midget still running the show in DC, I here Zorn might be available at the end of the year.... Time to start printing the purple and gold "JMU girls are horny for Zorny" shirts... make a small fortune....

Appinator
December 14th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I've heard that there is some speculation that MM could be up for the Marshall job if they decide to can Snyder. Any truth to this?

GATA
December 14th, 2008, 09:33 PM

Don't be foolish. If he left, you would miss him terribly. Take it from a GSU fan. A lot of people in our fanbase hated the way Sewak would blow playoff games...but we haven't made the playoffs since he left...

WOCO
December 14th, 2008, 09:36 PM
I think MM should be terminated imediately. Wofford will call him the moment he gets that pink slip and will offer him the recruiting coordinator position and we will win 50% of all NC's for the next 10 years.

wideright82
December 14th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Man, I am getting fat eating all of this xpopcornx, but some of these thread are like car wrecks, I have to look. This one could get interesting. :D

Hey don't eat all that. This one looks real good. I may actually stick around over here for a while.

NYJMUSupporter
December 14th, 2008, 09:56 PM
All I have to say is wow! Did Mickey Matthews drop the two kickoff returns? Did Mickey Matthews fumble the ball in Montana territory or throw an interception? No! Despite four turnovers, Mickey Matthews coached his team into position to at least tie the game at the end. Mickey led this team to a 12-1 mark before Friday's loss. I know the JMU Nation is hurting after the loss, but lets not be stupid here. Lets give some props to Montana and their coachs and players for forcing the turnovers. Mickey can and should remain the coach as long as he wants the job. We are lucky to have him! The amount of smack threads against him should tell you something. People are jealous! xnodx

whitey
December 14th, 2008, 09:57 PM
No way.

72-46 at James Madison.
49-15 the last 5 years.
5 playoffs appearances (4 out of the last 5 years).
3 Conference Championships.

and...

1 National Championship!

DCdukes
December 14th, 2008, 10:02 PM
As much as Matthews has made the playoffs painful to watch the last few years, him leaving would remind me way too much of when Driesell left the basketball program... great recruiter, great regular season record, and then fumbles the big game.... now look at the program... its crap.... I for one want the playoff let downs to stop, but not at the expense of the program...

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 14th, 2008, 10:02 PM
So...I gave myself almost 48 hours to get over Friday night's loss...

Relax, have a beer, watch some reruns of your multitudes of wins this season and realize that turnovers (4 of them in very bad spots) were the reason that JMU lost Friday night.

And, even with the turnovers, one dropped pass from maybe kicking a game winning FG ain't bad brother!

Finally, after you relax, thank your lucky stars that MM is your coach and has probably turned down other offers to stay in Harrisonburg.

Frustrations, like revenge, are best served cold, ..... xpeacex

JMUOlejer
December 14th, 2008, 10:05 PM
I am not jealous...the guy can spot a talented recruit...I am giving him that but he has a big mouth and paints a target on his team too often. JMU won't get rid of him...we all know that, but I for one don't think he is a good coach when it comes to the big games. You just said to give props to Montana and their "coaches and players" for forcing the turnovers. There is no denying that it takes a well coached team to execute the way Montana did. All I am saying is that 3 years in a row with the talent we have had there is no way seasons should be ending like this. How long will it take for more people to start questioning him?

CrunchGriz
December 14th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Relax, have a beer, watch some reruns of your multitudes of wins this season and realize that turnovers (4 of them in very bad spots) were the reason that JMU lost Friday night.

And, even with the turnovers, one dropped pass from maybe kicking a game winning FG ain't bad brother!

Finally, after you relax, thank your lucky stars that MM is your coach and has probably turned down other offers to stay in Harrisonburg.

Frustrations, like revenge, are best served cold, ..... xpeacex

I'll agree with your point about JMU fans needing to just take a deep breath on their MM rants right now, but I'll pick a couple of nits with your "facts" to support it:

The pass wasn't dropped, it was knocked out on a very good defensive play by Griz DB Andrew Swink; and

The Dukes were unlikely to have been trying a field goal at the end of their last drive, even had the pass to McCarter been completed, and it most certainly wouldn't have been a game winner--they were down by 8 at that point.

JMUOlejer
December 14th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Waiting to take a deep breath on our MM rants? I waited 4 seasons to do it. This is not something that came to me Friday night. I don't consider this a rant either, this is my opinion as influenced by our last 4 seasons. I welcome all opinions ,and regardless of who the coach is I will be in the stands cheering on JMU for the forseeable future.

Grizalltheway
December 14th, 2008, 10:42 PM
All I have to say is wow! Did Mickey Matthews drop the two kickoff returns? Did Mickey Matthews fumble the ball in Montana territory or throw an interception? No! Despite four turnovers, Mickey Matthews coached his team into position to at least tie the game at the end. Mickey led this team to a 12-1 mark before Friday's loss. I know the JMU Nation is hurting after the loss, but lets not be stupid here. Lets give some props to Montana and their coachs and players for forcing the turnovers. Mickey can and should remain the coach as long as he wants the job. We are lucky to have him! The amount of smack threads against him should tell you something. People are jealous! xnodx

Yeah, I'm jealous that we don't have a coach who's an arrogant prick with chronic diarrhea of the mouth. xcoffeex

MacThor
December 14th, 2008, 10:55 PM
I think you can pin last year's loss at the Rock on Mickey, but not Friday Night's. For JMU to be driving for the tying score, without Landers, and a 4-0 turnover ratio against, is a testament to the coaches' game plan.

I can assure you, UR, W&M, and soon ODU are hoping you get your wish.

JMUOlejer
December 14th, 2008, 11:02 PM
I think JMU should promote him to AD or Head Recruiter or something...just keep him away from game planning or getting his team ready for a big game.

DCdukes
December 14th, 2008, 11:07 PM
With yet another VA college (ODU) getting a team, we'll see how much that cuts into Matthews recruiting abilities... could get interesting here over the next few years... especially in the talent rich VA beach area...

BDKJMU
December 14th, 2008, 11:21 PM

There was little strategy involved in 04'? Give me a break. I was at most of the games in 04', 05', 06', 07', and 08' including all playoff games. In 04' JMU had a good run game then, but it wasn't nearly as dominant then (213 yards per game 04' vs 283 yards per game 08'). JMU passed for more in 04'. They had to use as much if not MORE STRATEGY IN 04' mixing the rush and pass.

You want the winingest coach in JMU history to leave?
-Went 8-0 in the CAA.
-2 time Coach of the year in the CAA.
-Best regular season record in school history.
-2nd best season in school history.
-Only coach ever to win an NC while at JMU.

Give me a frickkin break. MM didn't fumble the ball 3 times during the game! The backup QB threw a pick on his 1st series in the game. JMU goes negative 4 in the turnovers then they lose to ASU, UR and Nova worse than they lost to Montana and maybe don't even make the playoffs. 04'-08', 64 games, and JMU went negative 4 in the turnovers twice. UD last year and Montana this year. JMU was plus 8 in turonver margin coming into the Montana game.

I don't care if the mods censor me here, as I'm pretty much done with this board for the next 7-8 months (as usual during the offseason), but if you want MM gone, THEN YOU'RE AN IDIOT!

Ronbo
December 14th, 2008, 11:22 PM
I think JMU should promote him to AD or Head Recruiter or something...just keep him away from game planning or getting his team ready for a big game.

I'll tell you exactly where Matthews failed his team this year. They were overlooking us, he didn't respect us. He didn't have the team ready for what they experienced. A team that had huge heart and hit hard. Take this lesson and learn from it.xrulesx

JMUOlejer
December 14th, 2008, 11:33 PM
BDK...I always enjoy reading your posts as they are always informative and often contain links to great articles. I am merely pointing to 4 years in a row where we did not play up to our potential. I am not saying he is not the winningest coach or taking away any of his stats. We won at Richmond on a punt return because of their coaching mistake in not running more time off the clock and we won at NOVA due to a ball bouncing our way. You said you were at most of the games in the last 4 seasons...did you think we lost to a better team at Youngstown or App...and do you think we should have lost 4 games in 05 and miss the playoffs?

DaGriz
December 14th, 2008, 11:46 PM
You JMU fans are just like us Griz fans. We're spoiled. What is there, 114 teams in this division and 16 make the playoffs and we still bitch when it's not good enough. Matthews didn't fumble the balls and throw the pick. Matthews didn't miss tackles. Matthews took a second string QB and four turnovers and made a game of it to the end with a one loss team in the playoffs. That's pretty damn impressive.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 14th, 2008, 11:46 PM

Maybe not, but he said he could run the ball against us. xpeacex

Daved
December 14th, 2008, 11:49 PM

If MM decided to leave JMU I don't necessarily think it would be a bad thing...I was also in the stands at Youngstown and meant to send MM a thank you card.JMU had no business losing to YSU that year or Appy the following year.

BDKJMU
December 14th, 2008, 11:50 PM
No way.

72-46 at James Madison.
49-15 the last 5 years.

and...

1 National Championship!

To add:
-33-7 in the CAA in the last 5 seasons, tops in the CAA, UMass next at 29-11.
-Since 04' 6-3 in the playoffs. .667 winning % equals UNI at 6-3 and Montana at 8-4 over that time period. Only ASU exceeds that.

Daved
December 14th, 2008, 11:58 PM
No way.

72-46 at James Madison.
49-15 the last 5 years.

and...

1 National Championship!That's an impressive feat-JMU still does well in spite of his coaching.With the talent he has recruited and good coaching JMU could easily have 3 or 4 NC's.Hopefully they will keep him.

Silenoz
December 15th, 2008, 12:15 AM
That's an impressive feat-JMU still does well in spite of his coaching.With the talent he has recruited and good coaching JMU could easily have 3 or 4 NC's.Hopefully they will keep him.

xeyebrowx

Grizalltheway
December 15th, 2008, 12:54 AM
That's an impressive feat-JMU still does well in spite of his coaching.With the talent he has recruited and good coaching JMU could easily have 3 or 4 NC's.Hopefully they will keep him.

That's the same argument that Hauck haters use, and it's complete and utter BS. Winning one championship in 5-7 years is extremely difficult, and winning 3 in a row like App State is almost unfathomable, and we probably won't see it happen again for a long, long time.

JMUDuke2002
December 15th, 2008, 06:24 AM

MM wasn't out on the field playing. MM didn't cough up the ball 4 times. You can't give up 4 turnovers against a great team like Montana. MM and Durden actually called a great game. The players and coaches managed to get their team in a position to be down 8 points with less than 2 minutes left. To me, that is amazing considering everything that went wrong. It was a dropped pass yet again by a sure handed wideout that ended the game. Don't blame Mickey. Blame the guys on the field, even Rodney, who coughed the ball up. They are the reason we lost. Not MM. That's it. End of story.

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 15th, 2008, 06:33 AM
MM wasn't out on the field playing. MM didn't cough up the ball 4 times. You can't give up 4 turnovers against a great team like Montana. MM and Durden actually called a great game. The players and coaches managed to get their team in a position to be down 8 points with less than 2 minutes left. To me, that is amazing considering everything that went wrong. It was a dropped pass yet again by a sure handed wideout that ended the game. Don't blame Mickey. Blame the guys on the field, even Rodney, who coughed the ball up. They are the reason we lost. Not MM. That's it. End of story.

What him and previous JMU posters have said.

Some JMU fans I swear. Your the same type of fan that caused Lefty to leave the basketball program and I think we ALL have seen how that turned out. MM leaving the program would be nothing short of a catastrophe for the football program. xnonono2x

appfan2008
December 15th, 2008, 07:07 AM
what an interesting thread... i love how mm haters come out after a loss!

appfan2008
December 15th, 2008, 07:08 AM
To add:
-33-7 in the CAA in the last 5 seasons, tops in the CAA, UMass next at 29-11.
-Since 04' 6-3 in the playoffs. .667 winning % equals UNI at 6-3 and Montana at 8-4 over that time period. Only ASU exceeds that.

that warms my heart!xnodx slightly

Hoyadestroya85
December 15th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Geez people.. be careful what you wish for.
Mickey is a great coach who can flat out recruit. You guys have a recent national title and have been the class of the conference since then. I would never question Andy Talley and he doesn't have a national title like mickey does. Just hope that your program turns out good teams with a high quality student athlete.

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 15th, 2008, 07:09 AM
what an interesting thread... i love how mm haters come out after a loss!

I wish I could throw them under a bus xnodx

***preferably a moving one!

OL FU
December 15th, 2008, 07:12 AM
I haven't read the thread but geez.

We FCS fans should realize just how tough it is to be the one team out of 125 standing at the end of the season. It is an amazing combination of being a good well coached team and luck. In my opinion, the FU team that won the NC was far from the best FU team ever on a field. They were good and deserved the NC but lots of things have to fall in place to win the NC. Look at App, take away a slip and fall or a last minute fumble and ASU wins one National championship instead of three. That isn't to take anything away from their three in a row just simply to say the thousands of things that happen during a season need to fall right to get you to the top.

You should be happy you have a coach that puts you in the position most years to be in the competition for the trip to Chattanooga.xnodx

Tribe4SF
December 15th, 2008, 07:31 AM
That's the same argument that Hauck haters use, and it's complete and utter BS. Winning one championship in 5-7 years is extremely difficult, and winning 3 in a row like App State is almost unfathomable, and we probably won't see it happen again for a long, long time.

Agree.

Mickey, however, sets the JMU fans up for this reaction. He overhypes his recruits, and leads fans to believe that there should be no way JMU ever loses. Based on Mickey's assessment last year, JMU fans could have expected Kerby Long to score dozens of TDs this year, and take over for Landers to save the Montana game. He claims that JMU never loses a recruit to another FCS school, when the truth is he's already lost some this year. More veteran JMU fans see the hype for what it is, but many develop expectations based on Mickey's statements which are unrealistic.

When you have a good program, the results speak for themselves, but that never seems to be enough for Mickey.

ASUG8
December 15th, 2008, 07:38 AM

It's hard to look at his record and call for his head just yet. JMU played arguably the most difficult schedule this year and took down a tough CAA/A10 and the cream of the SoCon. They haven't played a poor game this season, and were due for some turnovers which MM wasn't really responsible for. Like someone else noted, you could blame the ASU loss last year on poor play calling, but he does have a great record of getting teams to the playoffs. You can't really ask a guy to win 11 games for you, then hand the reigns off to someone else to finish up the playoffs. I don't care for him, but I respect his accomplishments on the field.

OL FU
December 15th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Mickey may overstate the ability of his team and his coaching, but believe me, once you get close to the top year after year even the most understated coach in the world gets questioned if he doesn't win it. Fans can build up their expectations without the coach uttering a word. xnodx

I am not saying fans should want to win the thing every year but any reasonable person understands just how difficult it is.

19Duke97
December 15th, 2008, 08:11 AM
MM cannot be blamed for this loss - at all. Some JMU fans need to wake up. The coaches draw the plays, call them, then the players have to execute them - period. Another item - MM does have a big mouth, no doubt, but he is no 'arrogant prick", quite the contrary, he's a pretty good guy, and a person everyone would want on their side. Who doesn't hype their recruits? I mean really?!?!?!
MM has brought JMU back from what Alex Wood left and raised it even from where Rip had the team in the early 90's. Most JMU fans can live with the antics, because we realize it's mostly because MM has a love/hate relationship with the media, and probably states things just to stir the pot. As long as we are winning, the students are graduating, and not getting arrested, all of that will be forgotten.
We lost to Montana for 3 reasons:
1) Their offensive line dominated our defensive line
2) 4 turnovers - enough stated about this
3) Their defense made the one stop they needed at their goal line

Game over - great season for the Dukes, sure it's a little disappointing, but nothing compared to last year's loss at Boone. We will reload and be competitive again next year. xpeacex

DirtyWater
December 15th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Well that was one helluva a game to watch! my opinion is that JMU overlooked the Griz, plain and simple. I believe he thought with having Landers on his side the NC was going to be gift wrapped to him. I don't think the players were ready for the way Griz spec team and defenders tackle....the wrap up and the next few guys start stripping the ball.

The back up QB was prepared though, he was awesome! very good-talented QB, your team will not lose a step next year. The Griz came in knowing that they probable were not going to stop Landers but needed to just make plays when the time came and they did! When playing against talent like Landers, you need to offset his talent by creating turnovers and making the most out of it....that is what Hauck probably preached all week - create the turnovers and the Offense will take care of their work.

it was starting to be blowout until the 10point swing with the safety and the ensuing drive the JMU launched.

Hauck haters always call for his job when he loses...why i don't, he's successful and that's all that counts IMO. I think your team will be just fine next year...

NYJMUSupporter
December 15th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Anyone who seriously believes Mickey needs to leave JMU needs their head examined. Sure we have had talented teams who could have one a national championship the last four year, but it takes a lot more than talent to win a national championship. Look at the Yankees. Year in and year out they arguably have the most talented team in baseball. How many championships have they one lately? Mickey Matthews has put his team in position to win in pretty much every game since 2004. Other than games against 1-A schools, we are always in position to win at the end of games. What more can you ask for. People are acting like we got bounced in the first round again! We got to the final four. We were a couple of bounces away from going to Chattanooga. Mickey may run his mouth and he may hype up his teams, but he is a heck of a coach and a great mentor to the student athletes he leads. Speaking as someone who has interacted with Mickey many times, he is the right person to lead this program into the future and I am very thankful that we have him! xnodx

And to the point about Mickey not being able to win the big game:

-We won the national championship in 04
-Big Games That JMU Won in 2008:
-App State
-UMASS
-Richmond
-Villanova
-Wofford
-Villanova again

Were those not big games?

OL FU
December 15th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Anyone who seriously believes Mickey needs to leave JMU needs their head examined. Sure we have had talented teams who could have one a national championship the last four year, but it takes a lot more than talent to win a national championship. Look at the Yankees. Year in and year out they arguably have the most talented team in baseball. How many championships have they one lately? Mickey Matthews has put his team in position to win in pretty much every game since 2004. Other than games against 1-A schools, we are always in position to win at the end of games. What more can you ask for. People are acting like we got bounced in the first round again! We got to the final four. We were a couple of bounces away from going to Chattanooga. Mickey may run his mouth and he may hype up his teams, but he is a heck of a coach and a great mentor to the student athletes he leads. Speaking as someone who has interacted with Mickey many times, he is the right person to lead this program into the future and I am very thankful that we have him! xnodx

And to the point about Mickey not being able to win the big game:

-We won the national championship in 04
-Big Games That JMU Won in 2008:
-App State
-UMASS
-Richmond
-Villanova
-Wofford
-Villanova again

Were those not big games?

You also are the only team to have ever won an NC without playing one playoff game at home. Quite and accomplish and it still makes my stomach churnxbawlingx

NYJMUSupporter
December 15th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Yes we are! Man that was an amazing run in 04! xbowx

bpcats
December 15th, 2008, 10:41 AM
The impression that I got from watching the game is that MM definitely knows how to recruit. I wouldn't mess with a consistent winner which is what MM is.

There would be no reason to fire him unless his players were not graduating, they were getting into trouble with the law, etc.

If there was blame to go around, I would put first on the players. They were in position to make the plays and didn't. Secondly, I would question the playcalling. In a typical game an offensive team is going to run 70 plays. If you are only passing the ball 8 times out of 70, then it puts a ton of pressure on the receivers to capitalize each and every possession.
Maybe pass 16 times a game to keep a team offbalance even if you are moving the ball on the ground.

Landers wasn't very accurate on his throws during the game. I believe Hauck mentioned that Dudzik averaged 2 more yds per attempt rushing and was a more accurate passer.

19Duke97
December 15th, 2008, 11:09 AM
The impression that I got from watching the game is that MM definitely knows how to recruit. I wouldn't mess with a consistent winner which is what MM is.

There would be no reason to fire him unless his players were not graduating, they were getting into trouble with the law, etc.

If there was blame to go around, I would put first on the players. They were in position to make the plays and didn't. Secondly, I would question the playcalling. In a typical game an offensive team is going to run 70 plays. If you are only passing the ball 8 times out of 70, then it puts a ton of pressure on the receivers to capitalize each and every possession.
Maybe pass 16 times a game to keep a team off balance even if you are moving the ball on the ground.
Landers wasn't very accurate on his throws during the game. I believe Hauck mentioned that Dudzik averaged 2 more yds per attempt rushing and was a more accurate passer.

MM was playing to Landers strength, which is running the ball - hey we averaged nearly 40 pts a game doing that, so not too much of an issue here. He can throw the ball, but it is well known amongst JMU supporters that yes, in fact, Dudzik is a better passer. I would tend to think we will have a more balanced attack the next two years. Whether that will make us a better team is TBD.

Wolfman
December 15th, 2008, 11:14 AM
I'll give ya my two cents on Mickey from a third party standpoint. Montana fans have a rather long history with Mickey dating back to 1995 when he was the D-coordinator at Marshall. After we beat his boys in Huntington for the NC, he whined to say that Montana won only because of a couple of stupid personal foul penalties on his defense.

Of course, he glossed over the fact that his defense was the most undisciplined bunch of thugs I have ever seen on a playing field. They were called for 3 personal fouls, and could have been called for 3-4 more. His players were constantly hitting late, talking trash, and trying to intimidate. It was very obvious that his players were a reflection of his brash, blustering personality.

The trouble with guys like Mickey, is that, when they lose, it is never their fault. He has always been a chronic whiner, and nothing has changed. If he had any class, he would contratulate Montana for winning, and show an ounce of class. Obviously, he has none.

mcveyrl
December 15th, 2008, 11:30 AM
I cannot believe that THIS is my first post since the game (a great one), but I've only now gotten back online and this is the first thing that came up.

This thread is comical, both the start of and proliferation of it. The only way Matthews is leaving Madison in the next few years is on his own (which I think could happen this offseason xeekx ).

No way that Friday night is his fault. We just turned the ball over. It was a national semi-final team! Anybody who thought we were overlooking Montana is both retarded and illiterate. All week, Mickey was saying how the Griz were getting better each week and how their O-line was huge.

I don't even put last year's playoff loss on him (or the coaching staff). App blocked a lot of kicks, it would have been much better on our kicker's nerves to have the ball in the middle of the field. It makes sense, it just didn't work out.

Appinator
December 15th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I cannot believe that THIS is my first post since the game (a great one), but I've only now gotten back online and this is the first thing that came up.

This thread is comical, both the start of and proliferation of it. The only way Matthews is leaving Madison in the next few years is on his own (which I think could happen this offseason xeekx ).

No way that Friday night is his fault. We just turned the ball over. It was a national semi-final team! Anybody who thought we were overlooking Montana is both retarded and illiterate. All week, Mickey was saying how the Griz were getting better each week and how their O-line was huge.

I don't even put last year's playoff loss on him (or the coaching staff). App blocked a lot of kicks, it would have been much better on our kicker's nerves to have the ball in the middle of the field. It makes sense, it just didn't work out.

I mentioned this at the beginning of the thread, but got no response. Is it a real possibility that MM leaves this off-season for Marshall? Are they even bowl eligible? Has he talked about returning to Huntington before?

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 15th, 2008, 01:06 PM
I mentioned this at the beginning of the thread, but got no response. Is it a real possibility that MM leaves this off-season for Marshall? Are they even bowl eligible? Has he talked about returning to Huntington before?

Matthews has given no indication of leaving JMU. With him just recently renewing his contract I doubt we see this happen. If ever. He has been quoted as saying it would take a substantial offer to uproot him and his family out of Harrisonburg.

Appinator
December 15th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Matthews has given no indication of leaving JMU. With him just recently renewing his contract I doubt we see this happen. If ever. He has been quoted as saying it would take a substantial offer to uproot him and his family out of Harrisonburg.

I hate that I don't know too much more about it, but was Marshall his first coaching job? Was he with the team when it jumped ship for the FBS ranks?

Obviously the Marshall gig would not be a coaches dream resting place (not a BCS school), but I didn't know if it was near and dear to his heart.

mcveyrl
December 15th, 2008, 01:13 PM

He has also stated, and the administration has admitted, that the right FBS offer would move him. I don't think that means that only an offer from a BCS conference would do it (and I think it's unrealistic to think that a BCS conference offer would be extended right out of I-A).

Marshall just might be that offer (if it comes). Long time DC, a lot of the same recruiting territory as he has now...

Nobody has said one way or the other, but the last article in the paper said he wasn't available for comment on Sunday. When was the last time Mickey wasn't avaiable for comment??? :D :p

GtFllsGriz
December 15th, 2008, 01:16 PM
"We FCS fans should realize just how tough it is to be the one team out of 125 standing at the end of the season. It is an amazing combination of being a good well coached team and luck. In my opinion, the FU team that won the NC was far from the best FU team ever on a field. They were good and deserved the NC but lots of things have to fall in place to win the NC. Look at App, take away a slip and fall or a last minute fumble and ASU wins one National championship instead of three. That isn't to take anything away from their three in a row just simply to say the thousands of things that happen during a season need to fall right to get you to the top.

You should be happy you have a coach that puts you in the position most years to be in the competition for the trip to Chattanooga."

A great post! And you are so right. When you get to this level it will be the little things that kill you because the competition is going to be tough.

I do think that JMU was looking past this game a bit but I may be wrong. After reading all summer long how much stronger the CAA was than the the Big Sky you start to believe it, even I did! And then to have CAA coaches predicting a blow out! I think it would be hard for the players not to have picked up on some of that attitude. I don't care how much your coach preaches in the locker room about the other teams strengths it is hard to over come that pre-determined supierority. Then catch a team on a mission with a chip on their shoulder. OUCH! We in the Griz nation have had more than one scare based on that scenario.

NYJMUSupporter
December 15th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Speaking as a formber Breeze writer who tried to get comments from Mickey on Sunday's, it is not uncommon for him not to return calls. He has his weekly press lunch today. He will answer plenty of questions then. I would check out tomorrows edition of the Daily News Record. I am sure Mike Barber will have a full report.

mcveyrl
December 15th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Speaking as a formber Breeze writer who tried to get comments from Mickey on Sunday's, it is not uncommon for him not to return calls. He has his weekly press lunch today. He will answer plenty of questions then. I would check out tomorrows edition of the Daily News Record. I am sure Mike Barber will have a full report.

I can't wait...xlolx

whitey
December 15th, 2008, 01:24 PM
It seems every other year or so Matthews flirts with leaving. Last year it was University of South Alabama (starting football I think this year and will be headed to the SunBelt as soon as they can) who heavily recruited him.

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 15th, 2008, 01:24 PM
He has also stated, and the administration has admitted, that the right FBS offer would move him. I don't think that means that only an offer from a BCS conference would do it (and I think it's unrealistic to think that a BCS conference offer would be extended right out of I-A).

Marshall just might be that offer (if it comes). Long time DC, a lot of the same recruiting territory as he has now...

Nobody has said one way or the other, but the last article in the paper said he wasn't available for comment on Sunday. When was the last time Mickey wasn't avaiable for comment??? :D :p

If you just lost a game like the one on Friday I wouldn't want to talk to the press on Sunday either.

mcveyrl
December 15th, 2008, 01:25 PM
If you just lost a game like the one on Friday I wouldn't want to talk to the press on Sunday either.

Why wouldn't you want to talk to the press if I lost the game?? :p

Agreed. Just stirring the pot.

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 15th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Why wouldn't you want to talk to the press if I lost the game?? :p

Agreed. Just stirring the pot.

:D

BDKJMU
December 16th, 2008, 06:11 PM

Maybe pass 16 times a game to keep a team offbalance even if you are moving the ball on the ground.

No, with the new clock rules teams aren't going to avg about 70 plays a game. More like 65. The new clock rules this season through the 1st month were knocking off about 8 plays a game.

JMU DID PASS THE BALL ABOUT AN AVG OF 16 TIMES A GAME! Where in the world do you get JMU only threw it 8 out of 70 times? They avg about 65 plays a game (908 in 14 games), and passed it for about 16 plays a games (219 passes). Thats about 76/24 run/pass ratio. Come on, check the stats before you go making stuff up.

MSU_77
December 16th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Hey, at least JMU doesn't go one and done after being seeded first or second, like SOME teams. xrolleyesx [McNeese} And, you've got a NC, so count your blessings. There are no perfect coaches, but you've apparently got a pretty good one. Be careful what you wish for.

gofurman
December 16th, 2008, 08:03 PM
There was little strategy involved in 04'? Give me a break. I was at most of the games in 04', 05', 06', 07', and 08' including all playoff games. In 04' JMU had a good run game then, but it wasn't nearly as dominant then (213 yards per game 04' vs 283 yards per game 08'). JMU passed for more in 04'. They had to use as much if not MORE STRATEGY IN 04' mixing the rush and pass.

You want the winingest coach in JMU history to leave?
-Went 8-0 in the CAA.
-2 time Coach of the year in the CAA.
-Best regular season record in school history.
-2nd best season in school history.
-Only coach ever to win an NC while at JMU.

Give me a frickkin break. MM didn't fumble the ball 3 times during the game! The backup QB threw a pick on his 1st series in the game. JMU goes negative 4 in the turnovers then they lose to ASU, UR and Nova worse than they lost to Montana and maybe don't even make the playoffs. 04'-08', 64 games, and JMU went negative 4 in the turnovers twice. UD last year and Montana this year. JMU was plus 8 in turonver margin coming into the Montana game.

I don't care if the mods censor me here, as I'm pretty much done with this board for the next 7-8 months (as usual during the offseason), but if you want MM gone, THEN YOU'RE AN IDIOT!

You guys please quit bringing up 04 - please for my sanity as a Furman fan. In our place you win, what 14-13? We miss a fg and an XP or something. You score ONE offensive TD (the other was about a 15 yard drive on a block punt where we miss an obvious block) to get your 14. Despite all this we are still going in for the win and fumble on the one and your DL falls on it. Then you score that one lone long drive TD in the last minute on fourth down. Any of seven or eight things goes different and Furman probably wins that game and goes on to win the title. Oh, the pain of that memory.

JK - as the GSU fan said - be happy with what you have....we would kill to be in the SEMIS like you!

maroon
December 16th, 2008, 09:47 PM
I'll give ya my two cents on Mickey from a third party standpoint. Montana fans have a rather long history with Mickey dating back to 1995 when he was the D-coordinator at Marshall. After we beat his boys in Huntington for the NC, he whined to say that Montana won only because of a couple of stupid personal foul penalties on his defense.

Of course, he glossed over the fact that his defense was the most undisciplined bunch of thugs I have ever seen on a playing field. They were called for 3 personal fouls, and could have been called for 3-4 more. His players were constantly hitting late, talking trash, and trying to intimidate. It was very obvious that his players were a reflection of his brash, blustering personality.

The trouble with guys like Mickey, is that, when they lose, it is never their fault. He has always been a chronic whiner, and nothing has changed. If he had any class, he would contratulate Montana for winning, and show an ounce of class. Obviously, he has none.

Another Marshall mistake in the 95 game was on offense. Early in the 4th quarter, Marshall had first and goal inside the Griz 5 yard line. Senior All-American RB Curtis Parker was on the bench for the series. In his place was freshman Olandis Gary. The Griz stuffed him twice and held Marshall to a FG. ESPN broadcasters Joel Meyers and Todd Christensen commented that it was a mistake not to have Parker in there.

It's ironic that Gary was good enough to play in the NFL. He had several good years for the Broncos.

UMStudent
December 17th, 2008, 12:44 AM
xpopcornx

UNH SUPERFAN
December 17th, 2008, 08:09 AM
I'll agree with your point about JMU fans needing to just take a deep breath on their MM rants right now, but I'll pick a couple of nits with your "facts" to support it:

The pass wasn't dropped, it was knocked out on a very good defensive play by Griz DB Andrew Swink; and

The Dukes were unlikely to have been trying a field goal at the end of their last drive, even had the pass to McCarter been completed, and it most certainly wouldn't have been a game winner--they were down by 8 at that point.

Sorry, a good receiver holds on to that ball.

placidlakegriz
December 17th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Sorry, a good receiver holds on to that ball.

Sorry, a good defender strips that ball.

whitey
December 17th, 2008, 11:10 AM
You suck!

No..you suck!

I said you suck first!

Blah blah blah blah.

placidlakegriz
December 17th, 2008, 11:17 AM
From todays Missoulian

Yes, James Madison went up and down the field last Friday, but when it had to, the Griz D - as it has all season - made huge plays, forcing a fumble and intercepting a pass.

Dukes coach Mickey Matthews can whine all he wants. The fact is, his team made mistakes - on its own field - and Montana did not.

WVAPPmountaineer
December 17th, 2008, 11:27 AM
"The trouble with guys like Mickey, is that, when they lose, it is never their fault. He has always been a chronic whiner, and nothing has changed. If he had any class, he would contratulate Montana for winning, and show an ounce of class. Obviously, he has none."

Yeah, after last years loss in Boone, he blamed everyone, even the Athletic Dept Secretary ----

th0m
December 17th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I hate that I don't know too much more about it, but was Marshall his first coaching job? Was he with the team when it jumped ship for the FBS ranks?

Obviously the Marshall gig would not be a coaches dream resting place (not a BCS school), but I didn't know if it was near and dear to his heart.

Mickey was on the Marshall staff from '90 to '95, then went to Georgia before taking the HC job at JMU in '99. Marshall moved to I-A in '97. He does have FBS experience as an assistant coach, just not at Marshall.

Marshall wasn't his first coaching job though. Here's his collegiate coaching history:

1978 Kansas State
1980-81 Southwest Texas State (now known as Texas State)
1982-85 UTEP
1986 Houston
1987 TCU
1988-89 Southwest Texas State
1990-95 Marshall
1996-98 Georgia
1999-now JMU (HC)

BDKJMU
December 18th, 2008, 01:53 PM
This thread already got a lot of talk on the CAAZone. Of course the JMU poster who started this would never have started this same thread over there:
http://www.caazone.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=87915

WMTribe90
December 18th, 2008, 02:23 PM

Alot of merit in this assessment IMO. Mickey is a great recruiter and has built a fine program. However, he is a good, but not a great coach IMO. JMU wins on superior talent, rarely have I heard or seen MM out coach his opponent. Turnovers aside, I thought Montana had a better gameplan, especially on offense, where they were more innovative. If I were a JMU fan I'm not sure I'd want to unload MM becuase he is a great recruiter and has brought the program a long way, but the truth is JMU has had as much or more talent than any FCS team in the country for the last five years and has only made it out of the first round twice (no help from the selection committee). I think its fair to stay they've underachieved slightly. And yes, I wish WM could underachieve like that.

Appinator
December 18th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Alot of merit in this assessment IMO. Mickey is a great recruiter and has built a fine program. However, he is a good, but not a great coach IMO. JMU wins on superior talent, rarely have I heard or seen MM out coach his opponent. Turnovers aside, I thought Montana had a better gameplan, especially on offense, where they were more innovative. If I were a JMU fan I'm not sure I'd want to unload MM because he is a great recruiter and has brought the program a long way, but the truth is JMU has had as much or more talent than any FCS team in the country for the last five years and has only made it out of the first round twice (no help from the selection committee). I think its fair to stay they've underachieved slightly. And yes, I wish WM could underachieve like that.

I would agree, but I witnessed first hand great coaching adjustments in the JMU vs. ASU game.

Either one of two things happened in the first half: 1. MM did not prepare for the game and let our offense run shop and let our defense shut down anything they tried and then their coaching staff made some amazing adjustments to do the exact opposite on both sides of the ball in the second half or 2. The Apps just out played them in the first half and the coaching staff STILL made great adjustments to make a come back.

Either way, IMO, that win can directly be connected to great coaching changes mid-battle.

MM just ran into a team that had a HUGE o-line and JMU lost the turnover battle.

Blue Hen 53
December 18th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Matthews is a cry baby