PDA

View Full Version : New "Blood"!

DX Man
December 14th, 2008, 11:40 AM
As much as I would have loved for my Mountaineers to pick up their 4th straight National Championship, I do believe that it is good for the game to have some new "blood" at the top. Too many people was starting to talk as if ASU was all there was to FCS football.

MONTANA : You are great road warriors and played in one of the best playoff games I've seen in awhile.

RICHMOND : What can be said? You beat the champion on their home turf.

Thank goodness for playoff football, because it is all about who is best at the end of the season and these two teams showed, on the field, that they are the best right now.

Montana you have been there before. Your name and reputation is well known. I think it would be great for the FCS if Richmond won it all this year to add some new "Blood" to the mix. Although I would be proud to have either one of you as the champion of our division.

A note to the Montana & Richmond fans: You owe it to your teams to show up in large numbers to support them in this game. Please don't let the ESPN cameras show a lot of empty seats. Remember the world is watching.

I wish you both good health, safe travels and leave it all on the field when the game is over.

Eight Legger
December 14th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Good post. Speaking for UR fans, I think people will be surprised at how well we show (as fans) for a school our size (2,800 undergrads). This is our first national championship game in any sport, as far as I know, and people who are just casual fans/alums are making plans to be in Chattanooga. I know there will be a big turnout of football alums too, as Mike London has done a great job reaching out to these guys all year long.

93henfan
December 14th, 2008, 05:48 PM
A note to the Montana & Richmond fans: You owe it to your teams to show up in large numbers to support them in this game. Please don't let the ESPN cameras show a lot of empty seats. Remember the world is watching.

Let's be realistic for a second. We all love FCS football or we wouldn't be on this website, but don't delude yourself into thinking the world will be watching this game. It gets terrible ratings every year and likely always will, even though I and many of us in FCS land watch it intently every year regardless of who's playing. There's a reason our marquee game is scheduled on the worst television viewing night of the week.

I also hope you're not trying to compare this year's attendance to when App State or Georgia Southern plays in the finals. Simple geography tells you that a game without SoCon participation is going to draw less fans. The economy is in shambles. Montana fans love them some Griz, but plane tickets and hotel fare might not be in the cards this year for a lot of people, not to mention taking a day or two off work for travel. Richmond is simply a very small school that has never had huge fan support. While this game may be a pre-sale sellout or close to it due to App St fans rolling the dice, you're just not going to see the butts in the seats that you did the last three years. That's just reality.