PDA

View Full Version : Presbyterian to I-AA?

TexasTerror
November 18th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Someone over on the UCA board was saying that their opponent in this week's Div II playoffs, Presbyterian is also making efforts of going from Div II to I-AA. Any word on this?

Seems like loads of teams are moving up. Div I is going to become loaded. What conference would they go? Big South?

ButlerGSU
November 18th, 2005, 09:11 AM
A certain Athletic Director told me directly that they are not joining the Southern Conference.

89Hen
November 18th, 2005, 09:20 AM
What conference would they go? Big South?
Would seem like a logical place for the Blue Hose.

Sly Fox
November 18th, 2005, 09:22 AM
We've been following this development with PC very closely:

Discussion on PC to Big South on Liberty Board (http://libertysports.proboards29.com/index.cgi?board=Football&action=display&thread=1132016110)

Bottom line, they are voting this summer on making the move up to Division I. An invitation from the Big South will follow immediately thereafter even though the PC folks have visions of the SoCon dancing in there heads. It would take several years before it would pay dividends to the Big South. But it would show some direction toward the future in league sorely lacking in that department in recent years.

CCU2003
November 18th, 2005, 09:27 AM
All reports I've heard is that they are planning on the Big South, CCU has picked them up for their 2007 & 2008 schedules.

Check this link out for info about the plans to move up to I-AA

http://www.presby.edu/presby_main/freeform_template_T7_R2358.html

89Hen
November 18th, 2005, 09:38 AM
It would take several years before it would pay dividends to the Big South.
Curious as to why you think that. I assume you're talking about for football? PC trounced Chuck South this year 42-0 (worst loss of their year by far). I could see them instantly near the top of the Big South upon arrival. It also would get the Big South to the magic number of six. :nod:

OL FU
November 18th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Curious as to why you think that. I assume you're talking about for football? PC trounced Chuck South this year 42-0 (worst loss of their year by far). I could see them instantly near the top of the Big South upon arrival. It also would get the Big South to the magic number of six. :nod:

Do they count toward the magic number while they are transitional? I assumed that it did not and that is what SlyFox was saying.

Rick C
November 18th, 2005, 09:50 AM
All reports I've heard is that they are planning on the Big South, CCU has picked them up for their 2007 & 2008 schedules.

If PC enters I-AA, it will immediately compete with Wofford for the title of smallest Division I school. Both are around 1200 students.

89Hen
November 18th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Do they count toward the magic number while they are transitional? I assumed that it did not and that is what SlyFox was saying.
Very true, but unless they get another I-AA to move over this is as good as they can hope for. A team that will be competitive and geographically close.

OL FU
November 18th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Very true, but unless they get another I-AA to move over this is as good as they can hope for. A team that will be competitive and geographically close.

Agreed. PC makes Furman's schedule on a regular basis. It would be nice to count as a D-I win. :)

TexasTerror
November 18th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Check this link out for info about the plans to move up to I-AA

http://www.presby.edu/presby_main/freeform_template_T7_R2358.html

Thanks for that link! I love such documents, such as athletic strategic plans and such. Really lays out how things work in ADs and what sort of direction that departments are going...

TexasTerror
November 18th, 2005, 10:38 AM
If PC enters I-AA, it will immediately compete with Wofford for the title of smallest Division I school. Both are around 1200 students.

Isn't Centenary the smallest Div I school? Yes, with 905 undergraduates, it sure as heck is...

They really shouldn't stay Div I, but that's how it works....

MarkCCU
November 18th, 2005, 10:44 AM
I hear they want Big South

TexasTerror
November 18th, 2005, 10:47 AM
In the "plan", it states:

We know of at least four other SAC member institutions that are currently investigating the possibility of a transition to Division I.

What other SAC members are thinking of a move?

Coastal89
November 18th, 2005, 10:52 AM
In the "plan", it states:

What other SAC members are thinking of a move?
I think they are:

Carson-Newman
Wingate
Tusculum