PDA

View Full Version : What has happened to Home Field advantage?

SideLine Shooter
December 13th, 2008, 08:10 PM
I can't remember so many home teams losing. Come to think of it, I don't remember much anymore anyway.

gbhmt
December 13th, 2008, 08:11 PM
I can't remember so many home teams losing. Come to think of it, I don't remember much anymore anyway.

I think it comes down to all of the first round winners all being very very good evenly matched teams. Every game from the quarterfinals on was a tough game to call.

JmuSkinsfan
December 13th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I think it comes down to all of the first round winners all being very very good evenly matched teams. Every game from the quarterfinals on was a tough game to call.

Yeah, I have to agree there. Honestly, the first round weeds out the teams that don't have a real shot at the title anyway. No offense to Colgate, SCSU, Texas State, Maine or EKU. It also eliminates a few teams deserving to be in the quarters (Wofford, Cal Poly, SIU). Once you get down to 8, you likely have the major conference champs (ASU, JMU, Montana, UNI) and the others who had incredibly good years in good conferences (Weber State, Villanova, Richmond, UNH). At that point, it really is an "anyone can win" scenario.

As we saw in the round of 8, UNH almost upset UNI in the dome. Richmond upset ASU at the Rock. 'Nova pushed JMU to the limit at JMU. Weber State played tough with Montana in Montana. Again, at this point, it's anyone's game.

Grizaholic17
December 13th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Maybe a little bit of overlooking of teams was the issue here. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

In all seriousness, I think the fact that UNI and JMU both lost is a mere marvel. Congrats to Richmond for getting the "W" in Cedar Falls

ngineer
December 13th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Additionally, the first round games are played before, generally, small crowds due to the Thanksgiving weekend, so there's almost a 'neutral' feel the game. Further, playing in the 'lion's den' of an opponent can add more 'juice' to a team, and more pressure on home team.

GannonFan
December 13th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Home field advantage has never been a big deal in the semifinal round - heck, most years you see at least one home team lose. By that point you have good teams that have figured out how to win in the playoffs. Having to travel and having fans cheer against you isn't a big deal by then. The game's won on the field, not the location of the field.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 13th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Home field advantage has never been a big deal in the semifinal round - heck, most years you see at least one home team lose. By that point you have good teams that have figured out how to win in the playoffs. Having to travel and having fans cheer against you isn't a big deal by then. The game's won on the field, not the location of the field.

I agree. These teams can plan any FCS team, anywhere, anytime. I also believe most people overrate their homefield advantage. I think in bball homecourt is more important than football.

TCisMYhero
December 14th, 2008, 12:19 AM
xoopsx xbawlingx