PDA

View Full Version : Sympathy for UNI

ChickenMan
December 13th, 2008, 06:24 PM
I hope the Cedar Falls pharmacies have a large supply of anti-depressants in stock after this one. Obviously I was rooting for Richmond.. but now I feel real sympathy for the UNI fans. They just can't seem to catch a break... xsmhx

grizbeer
December 13th, 2008, 06:26 PM
I was rooting for UNI, but my sentiment is the same - honestly I don't know how UNI lost. Congrats Spiders, but damn.

JmuSkinsfan
December 13th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Seeing the looks on some of the fans faces there at the end made me really feel for them. I was pulling for UR (i think) but I really didn't have a dog in this race that I was pulling for strongly. After last night, I can imagine what those guys are going through up there. Tonight will suck. Tomorrow will suck a little less. Tomorrow night, UNI fans will be back on their boards and looking forward to next year. Good season and good luck in the off-season.

appstate1998
December 13th, 2008, 06:27 PM
The look on the UNI fans faces describes it all....

Silenoz
December 13th, 2008, 06:27 PM
McNeese and UNI have had a lot of tough breaks

whitey
December 13th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Tonight will suck. Tomorrow will suck a little less.

This is exactly how it is. Trust me on this one...I'm also a huge Mets fan. :(

ChickenMan
December 13th, 2008, 06:30 PM
This is exactly how it is. Trust me on this one...I'm also a huge Mets fan. :(

Does anyone ever have any sympathy for the Mets' fans... :p

whitey
December 13th, 2008, 06:32 PM

Ha. I'm thinking probably not. But hey I wasn't asking for any.

utcfan
December 13th, 2008, 06:35 PM
I am at least a temporary Richmond fan.

JohnStOnge
December 13th, 2008, 06:37 PM
I was rooting for UNI, but my sentiment is the same - honestly I don't know how UNI lost. .

By not taking advantage of their scoring opportunities. I think one of the biggest plays in the game is when Uni's quarterback had that 6'7" receiver wide open in the end zone and actually OVERTHREW him. They had to settle for a field goal instead of taking advantage of a play that was completely there for an easy TD and it came back to bite them.

spider92
December 13th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Congrats on a terrific season UNI! You played a great game!

mvemjsunpx
December 13th, 2008, 06:39 PM
By not taking advantage of their scoring opportunities. I think one of the biggest plays in the game is when Uni's quarterback had that 6'7" receiver wide open in the end zone and actually OVERTHREW him. They had to settle for a field goal instead of taking advantage of a play that was completely there for an easy TD and it came back to bite them.

That was big, but not as big as the drop on the QB screen right before that.

YoUDeeMan
December 13th, 2008, 06:40 PM
McNeese and UNI have had a lot of tough breaks

xrolleyesx

UNI got a seed that allowed them to play in their dome...that was their break. Without the dome, they might not have made it this far.

No sympathy.

They do have some good fans on here, though. xthumbsupx

JohnStOnge
December 13th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Another big play...positive from Richmond's standpoint and negative from UNI's...was giving up a good punt return on UNI's last punt. Basically they had a chance to make Richmond drive 80 or more yards but the Spiders ended up outside their 40, if I remember correctly. So then they had a relatively short field.

Really a bad time to give up a significant punt return if you're UNI...really a good time to get one if you're Richmond.

UNIFanSince1983
December 13th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Yeah I would have preferred the punter just put it into the endzone, no chance for return and make them go 80 yards.

It sucks pretty bad, but Richmond made the plays when they needed to and we didn't. I think we maybe should have gained some respect from you CAA fans who thought we stood no chance in this game.

UNI Pike
December 13th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Uuuugh! Farley's OF Coordinator strikes again. When we get up, we get ultra conservative, and then brings out the junk plays with we need it all.

ChickenMan
December 13th, 2008, 06:51 PM
I think we maybe should have gained some respect from you CAA fans who thought we stood no chance in this game.

No rational fan of the CAA or any other league could have thought that UNI had no chance. I expected a close.. hard fought game and that was exactly how it played out.

Chi Panther
December 13th, 2008, 06:55 PM

Agree, do you also remember the pass back dropped by our QB....then the very next play over threw another wide open WR in the endzone....

Grizaholic17
December 13th, 2008, 06:55 PM
absolute heartbreaker. I think after these two games this weekend, people around the country are really enjoying FCS football. Great weekend. Let's make it a good championship.

SOrry to UNI for the loss...I was rooting for you.

TCisMYhero
December 13th, 2008, 06:57 PM
My observations:
1. Billy Halgren may be the worst kicker in North America. Are you really going to shank a 30 yarder. And then the 51 yarder was a really nice kick.... for an onsides kick.
2. Our OC needs to be replaced in the last 7 minutes of every game. Just because you're up by 13 doesn't mean you completely abandon the pass game and allow the defense to sell out on run.
3. Pat Grace.... What a warrior he was tonight. But he had two huge plays that if he would've made them, I might be emailing professors right now asking to take finals early. The qb screen was a huge drop. Probably D.P.'s fault for hitting him in the handsxoopsx . And the overthrow of Schuyler Oordt. I never thought I would see somebody overthrow a 6'7" receiver. We have plenty of trees to hang tires from this offseason so he can work on his accuracy.
4. Our team got flat-out outcoached tonight. End of story. Talent wise, the teams were pretty even.
5. I'm ashamed of the Cedar Valley for not being able to put together 16000 for a national semifinal. Just over 12,000 is a joke. Embarrassing.
6. Congrats to UR, you are where you deserve to be. Took down two giants on the road, I have a lot of respect for that program.
7. This one doesn't sting as much as Delaware did last year. I half expected our coaching staff to piss this one down their leg.
8. The last play. WTF???? 'Nuff said.

BearsCountry
December 13th, 2008, 06:58 PM
UNI Football is like Missouri State basketball. Can't catch a break.

93henfan
December 13th, 2008, 07:03 PM
8. The last play. WTF???? 'Nuff said.

Jeez, even pulling for Richmond I was pissed with that play call. All you needed was 30 yards and a prayer of a FG and they did a hook and lateral? WTF is right.

TCisMYhero
December 13th, 2008, 07:09 PM
I don't know about 30 yards. With our kicker, we may have had to get it to the PAT line.

ngineer
December 13th, 2008, 07:12 PM

What about the 'flea flicker' that was dropped with no defenders and four blockers just 30 yards from the endzonexeekx xeekx THAT one would keep me up all night.....xsmhx xrotatehx

ursus arctos horribilis
December 13th, 2008, 07:12 PM
I too feel really bad for the UNI fans.

Montana_Mojo
December 13th, 2008, 07:27 PM
For as many times as UNI has been in the playoffs (14 times) and been to the semifinals (7 times), they have nothing to show for it. It's got to be extremely frustrating for UNI fans to be close so many times, but never sealing the deal. UNI is like the Atlanta Braves of the FCS, always falling short in the postseason.

Could be worse, though. How would you like to be a NW Missouri St. fan. They lost their FOURTH Div. II national championship game IN A ROW today.

FurmanPaladins4138
December 13th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Could be worse, though. How would you like to be a NW Missouri St. fan. They lost their FOURTH Div. II national championship game IN A ROW today.

This is an excellent point. I wouldn't know what to do if my team did that...

UNI Pike
December 13th, 2008, 07:31 PM
For as many times as UNI has been in the playoffs (14 times) and been to the semifinals (7 times), they have nothing to show for it. It's got to be extremely frustrating for UNI fans to be close so many times, but never sealing the deal. UNI is like the Atlanta Braves of the FCS, always falling short in the postseason.

We're the Braves, their the Bills

JmuSkinsfan
December 13th, 2008, 07:40 PM
This is an excellent point. I wouldn't know what to do if my team did that...

Any Bills fans on here? xlolx

UNIFanSince1983
December 13th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Didn't the Braves win one World Series? We have no championships. And to think that 50% of the times we have been to the playoffs we have made it to the semifinals. But only once even made it to the championship game.

Saint3333
December 13th, 2008, 08:08 PM
UNI's coaches let them down. Every time UNI gets close they screw it up. I was really pulling for them tonight, and have seen I met their fans in 2005. They are still the best program never to win it all. 1-6 in the semifinals, damn, that's all I can say.

mainejeff
December 13th, 2008, 08:12 PM
The refs have definitely been homers in the 3 UNI games that I have seen. Great job Spiders at overcoming a good team, a noisy building, and bad officiating.

The UNI Dome is definitely a HUGE advantage for that program!

SideLine Shooter
December 13th, 2008, 08:13 PM
That is what makes the system so good. Somebody has to win, and somebody has to lose.

T-Dog
December 13th, 2008, 08:14 PM
The UNI National Title curse lives on unfortunately for them. Seven times in the Final Four, only one title game trip and no titles.

Grizaholic17
December 13th, 2008, 08:21 PM
The refs have definitely been homers in the 3 UNI games that I have seen. Great job Spiders at overcoming a good team, a noisy building, and bad officiating.

I thought our Big Sky refs actually did a decent job this game for once. Not too many calls. Only the blatant obvious ones.

veinup
December 13th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Definitely a heartbreaker. Good game kids.

HensRock
December 13th, 2008, 08:25 PM
I think we maybe should have gained some respect from you CAA fans who thought we stood no chance in this game.

I'm one of them. I must confess, I thought UR would take this game. UNI was much stronger than I thought. Great team, and from my memories from last season, great fans too!
xthumbsupx

bulldog10jw
December 13th, 2008, 08:29 PM

Yes, I do.

Oh, I'm also a Mets fan.

crunifan
December 13th, 2008, 08:31 PM
This is really disappointing. I felt so good going into the fourth quarter and the I just watched it all disappear. I honestly don't know what it will take for us to win a title.

I really feel UNI was the superior team, the coaching just made stupid decisions. Congrats Richmond, you guys are a great time, but I just feel we gave it to you.

TCisMYhero
December 13th, 2008, 08:37 PM

The officiating was bad both ways tonight. Were you even watching the game??

2xspyder
December 13th, 2008, 08:50 PM
From my den in VA, it looks like UNI has a great fan base. Sorry more of us Spiders couldn't be there.
We're awfully proud right now...especially at the way the game was won.

UNI...what a great team!

Old Cat Fan
December 13th, 2008, 08:53 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx ya right, I'm so sorry for your lost xrolleyesx

UNHFootballAlum
December 13th, 2008, 09:02 PM
If anyone knows how UNI feels it is the UNH fans, we feel your pain

Eight Legger
December 13th, 2008, 09:06 PM
No team of mine has ever won a big game in that kind of dramatic fashion, but plenty have lost them that way. So for once it felt good to come out on the winning end. I definitely have felt the other way several times, including vs. JMU this year.

ur2k
December 13th, 2008, 09:06 PM
UNI fans - congrats on a great game, I am glad we got out of there with a win.

But what the heck were your coaches thinking to blow that time out to ice the kicker and then leave one on the board with 14 secs left when a FG would win the game?

UNIFanSince1983
December 13th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Out of the 5 previous semifinal losses, the team that beat us was the eventual Champion 4 of the times. We will see if Richmond is able to hold this true.

And now I know exactly what it was like for UNH fans last year, although this was the semifinals and not the first round, but losing like that just stings that much more. I mean if we get blown out I think I could handle a loss like that a little better.

UNIFanSince1983
December 13th, 2008, 09:10 PM
UNI fans - congrats on a great game, I am glad we got out of there with a win.

But what the heck were your coaches thinking to blow that time out to ice the kicker and then leave one on the board with 14 secs left when a FG would win the game?

Yeah we have been thinking the same thing too.

Congrats you guys made the big plays when you needed them and we didn't (at least at the end). Good Luck but I am sorry I have to pull for the Griz because of my pool...

igo4uni
December 13th, 2008, 09:12 PM
good game by both teams. very impressed with vaughan. when the game was on the line, richmond drove the field and got the td. they earned the w tonight.

MacThor
December 13th, 2008, 09:52 PM
I have sympathy for UNI. What a heartbreaking story about your two WR's being kicked off the team. It's nice to know both schools are recruiting young men of such character.

Bettina90
December 13th, 2008, 09:55 PM
NTFF!

I don't have a ton of sympathy either. Play in a Mary conference all year long and therefore end up with home dome advantage (that you drone on and on about) and you better be able to back it up. Try having to play/beat JMU, Nova, Delaware, UMass, UNH, et al EVERY year just to MAKE the playoffs, not just sail through and have a seed.

SteelCurtain
December 13th, 2008, 09:57 PM

That's BS!! Refs homers???? I watched the game. Let me know which calls your refering to. I will call a spade a spade. But I never saw anything that was suspect in this one.

Great game by both teams! Maybe people in the East will understand they don't own the market on good football.

UNI..what's with not punting the ball out of bounds on the last punt and playing that prevent d. I so hate that!!!

SteelCurtain
December 13th, 2008, 10:01 PM
NTFF!

I don't have a ton of sympathy either. Play in a Mary conference all year long and therefore end up with home dome advantage (that you drone on and on about) and you better be able to back it up. Try having to play/beat JMU, Nova, Delaware, UMass, UNH, et al EVERY year just to MAKE the playoffs, not just sail through and have a seed.

NIce..you are a class act!!! Have you played any of the teams in the Valley????? Way to win with Class.....

UNIFanSince1983
December 13th, 2008, 10:07 PM
NTFF!

We would have been just as close against you guys if this was at Richmond. So don't give me that crap. And maybe you should give credit where it is due as you had to come from behind to beat a team from such a weak conference. That doesn't make your conference look all that good in my opinion. We were so inferior to your Spiders. I couldn't believe when you guys whooped us by 40.

ValleyChamp
December 13th, 2008, 10:09 PM
UNI is 3-2 against the CAA in the last two seasons, FWIW.

Bettina90
December 13th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Don't get me wrong, UNI is a good team and very easily could have won today. But they get the Home Dome by playing in a weak conference.

UNIFanSince1983
December 13th, 2008, 10:10 PM
They will tell you though that it isn't worth anything as those 3 are against CAA north while the 2 are against CAA south...

unialum95
December 13th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Don't get me wrong, UNI is a good team and very easily could have won today. But they get the Home Dome by playing in a weak conference.

We'll take that rematch ANY time. Nice win but don't be a prick.

Bettina90
December 13th, 2008, 10:12 PM

Why is this difficult to grasp? Yes, UNI would be very competitive in the CAA. But try playing those teams every year with a playoff berth at stake, not an easy run to a seed?

UNIFanSince1983
December 13th, 2008, 10:12 PM
I don't really want to get into this, but our conference may not be great at the bottom, but the top is pretty darn good. I mean Youngstown, SIU, and now NDSU and SDSU. Previously Western Kentucky. Those are not teams to scoff at.

Bettina90
December 13th, 2008, 10:14 PM
We would have been just as close against you guys if this was at Richmond.

How do you know that? How many false starts did Richmond have today? One of which occurred on the fateful 3rd and 1 before Vaughn got stuffed.

UNIFanSince1983
December 13th, 2008, 10:15 PM
This was only the second time we have been seeded so that ends that argument.

Bettina90
December 13th, 2008, 10:16 PM
I don't really want to get into this, but our conference may not be great at the bottom, but the top is pretty darn good. I mean Youngstown, SIU, and now NDSU and SDSU. Previously Western Kentucky. Those are not teams to scoff at.

Yeah, (not being a smartarse) what happened to NDSU and SDSU? I thought they were gonna come in and be players?

UNIFanSince1983
December 13th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Well I really couldn't tell ya I did too. SDSU did finish in 3rd in the conference.

UNIFanSince1983
December 13th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Either way congratulations and good luck in Chattanooga.

SteelCurtain
December 13th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Yeah, (not being a smartarse) what happened to NDSU and SDSU? I thought they were gonna come in and be players?

SDSU scheduled way too tough out of conference games and NDSU had QB problems. Hopefully that will be fixed next year..

unialum95
December 13th, 2008, 10:19 PM
How do you know that? How many false starts did Richmond have today? One of which occurred on the fateful 3rd and 1 before Vaughn got stuffed.

I am taking nothing away from UNI, I am saying they cruise to a seed by being a good team in a weak conference. Much like the Griz.

Come join us and we'll see how dominate you are. Enjoy your spoils and we'll see if you can make it back next year.

ur2k
December 13th, 2008, 10:26 PM
UNI - your kids played a great game. I'm not sure your coaches put your team in a position to win. We were lucky to get out of the dome with a win.

spdram
December 13th, 2008, 10:36 PM
UNI fans you put up one hell of a fight, don't ever hang your heads you have a great team and were one tough match up. Anybody that doubts you has no idea what they are talking about.

Bettina90
December 13th, 2008, 10:40 PM
And I am an idiot, how? I asked an honest question and they answered honestly. I am out for thin skins on internet freakin' message boards.

And I could care less what you think of me, ur2k. You have no basis for that assertion other than a quick tiff with App fans about academics which someone (NOT me) decided to post themselves on the Richmond board this week vis a vis NIU.

putter
December 13th, 2008, 10:45 PM

I am taking nothing away from UNI, I am saying they cruise to a seed by being a good team in a weak conference. Much like the Griz.

Man, some of you CAA fans make me laugh. Cruise to a seed. You do know that they actually look at whom you played when seeding teams? Just because you don't know much about teams outside your precious league doesn't mean that there are not quality teams in the FCS. The Griz played a decent schedule that included 2 playoff teams on the road and, if Weber had not lost to EWU then they would not have received a seed.

I could see you smacking UNI if you went into the dome and beat them by 30, but you squeaked a W by a point. If you are saying the seed goes to your team vs. UNI, I saw nothing today to warrant that feeling.

Bettina90
December 13th, 2008, 10:52 PM
I'm not, at all. I am saying if they replaced any team in the CAA south they would not get a seed 3 of the last 4 years, or whatever it is. They are a great team that came within a first down of playing next week (UNI, that is).

Griz are great team and deserved a seed, as well, obviously.

McNeese75
We are all tired of this CAA crap. I am soooooooooo going to be pulling for the Griz next week xnodx

achrist70
Tonight really sucks, I never thought I would feel worst than I did then after the Delaware game that year. I really thought that if this UNI didn't turn the ball over once there would be any shot in hell that they could loose. When both defenses were on I think they were two I have ever seen play in FCS. It is just too bad that UNI went into a prevent defense at the end. We all know that it prevents you from winning. It would have been nice to see Grace hit the two open receivers that he missed, and well have caught a pass that hit him right in the hands, I really think it might have went for six. And well as for Billy, I think that if his backup doesn't get a shot to take that job away from him it is an injustice.

Richmond played a very good and smart game. They just sort of stuck around and never let UNI hit that knock out blow, a sign of a good team. Their defense impressed me as a team. I don't think the two DE's shined as much as they were supposed to we do have some good tackles though. However they stepped up as a unit when they had too. The Richmond offense is what impressed me. Vaughn is a good back, really knew how to finish runs. And the quarterback was a great manager.

Congratulations Richmond you played a full 60 minutes and deserved to win.

One thing that bothered me is was the full back that caught the ball on the final drive, (either 35 or 45) was he really hurt, because after he got of the field he seemed to be walking around fine? Not accusing anyone of anything, just wondering.

Bettina90
December 13th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Oh, and the Griz throw-in was just a bit of pre-week jabber. Lighten up and let's both just enjoy this.

Henny
December 13th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Hey Panthers, Delaware fans feel your pain. Although we have one championship, UD has been to the playoffs 13 times, the quarters 12 times, the semis 6 times and the finals 3. That's pleny of playoff futility right there.

Go Spiders!!!

Bettina90
December 13th, 2008, 10:58 PM
One thing that bothered me is was the full back that caught the ball on the final drive, (either 35 or 45) was he really hurt, because after he got of the field he seemed to be walking around fine? Not accusing anyone of anything, just wondering.

I think he was hurt and it was his shoulder. Which would not have prevented his walking. But that would not have changed things much anyway, would it? It's not like the NFL (I think) where the run off time or something?

Agreed, and classy post, UNI definitely had it in their grasp, as I said in the game thread I ALWAYS like teams to get aggresive and get that last first down they need to salt things away. Good Luck to UNI next year, long as they are on the other side of the bracket!

achrist70
December 13th, 2008, 11:13 PM
I think he was hurt and it was his shoulder. Which would not have prevented his walking. But that would not have changed things much anyway, would it? It's not like the NFL (I think) where the run off time or something?

Agreed, and classy post, UNI definitely had it in their grasp, as I said in the game thread I ALWAYS like teams to get aggresive and get that last first down they need to salt things away. Good Luck to UNI next year, long as they are on the other side of the bracket!

Yeah the clock was stopped for a first down anyway, I was just wondering, we all saw Pat lay on the ground for 3 minutes and then come right back in the game

ur2k
December 13th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Yeah the clock was stopped for a first down anyway, I was just wondering, we all saw Pat lay on the ground for 3 minutes and then come right back in the game

You guys called a TO after the injury, then he came back in the game.

Gotcha Bett- idiot may have been too harsh xthumbsupx

We all want the same thing right now.

Bettina90
December 13th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Correct, and peace.

What I want is a healthy Grayson and a better running game next Friday night. But I'll settle for a Ward like we saw in the 4th Quarter.

achrist70
December 13th, 2008, 11:31 PM
I do have another question does Grayson always get into petty shouting matches with people from the other teams fan section?

Bettina90
December 13th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Yikes, no info on this end. I have not been to a game since Delaware last year. I mean, no shot it was mutual?

achrist70
December 13th, 2008, 11:36 PM
He started it but you know the fan section continued it!

ur2k
December 13th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Details?

blitz4
December 14th, 2008, 12:01 AM
I hope the Cedar Falls pharmacies have a large supply of anti-depressants in stock after this one. Obviously I was rooting for Richmond.. but now I feel real sympathy for the UNI fans. They just can't seem to catch a break... xsmhx

UNI Choked. If Wofford ever choked that bad I would be a Furman fan. :D

TCisMYhero
December 14th, 2008, 12:10 AM

Dude... Your team won tonight. You are in the national championship. Shut the fk up.

Bettina90
December 14th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Ok. Agreed. But it was just a conversation.

TCisMYhero
December 14th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Ok. Agreed. But it was just a conversation.

It sounded like whining about our conference and home field. It's old.

PantherRob82
December 14th, 2008, 02:11 AM
My observations:
1. Billy Halgren may be the worst kicker in North America. Are you really going to shank a 30 yarder. And then the 51 yarder was a really nice kick.... for an onsides kick.

Oh, the one where he kicked the laces? That was a great snap and hold. Clearly his fault. xrolleyesx

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 14th, 2008, 02:11 AM
I posted on your boards and had a good time texting Rob this whole year. Great season guys. I know it sucks, but you should still be proud and happy. You got to play in the playoffs and it was a hell of a ride while it lasted. xnodx

Hoyadestroya85
December 14th, 2008, 03:08 AM
Great season UNI

colorless raider
December 14th, 2008, 05:21 AM
Agreed. UNI is a great team and keep on truckin, you will make it some day.

TribeNomad
December 14th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Hey----I also feel the CAA is the toughest league from top to bottom, and the sheer number of teams that get berths (and even teams that are left out!!??) document this.

However, I was very impressed with UNI last night---well balanced on offense, their OL physical, their defense solid as well.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 14th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Great game. Tough one for UNI, I can't imagine how the UNI fans feel.xrolleyesx

WildcatFan
December 14th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Great game. Tough one for UNI, I can't imagine how the UNI fans feel.xrolleyesx

I agree - tough game to lose like that. Glad that never happens to UNH:p

Houndawg
December 14th, 2008, 09:02 AM
NTFF!

xrolleyesx Hey Einstein, guess what, you don't have to play/beat JMU et al every year, and UNI hardly sailed through the MVC, although they did get the seed over a more deserving SIU team. A team which also beat UNI and would give UR all they want.

Houndawg
December 14th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Tonight really sucks, I never thought I would feel worst than I did then after the Delaware game that year. I really thought that if this UNI didn't turn the ball over once there would be any shot in hell that they could loose. When both defenses were on I think they were two I have ever seen play in FCS. It is just too bad that UNI went into a prevent defense at the end. We all know that it prevents you from winning. It would have been nice to see Grace hit the two open receivers that he missed, and well have caught a pass that hit him right in the hands, I really think it might have went for six. And well as for Billy, I think that if his backup doesn't get a shot to take that job away from him it is an injustice.

Richmond played a very good and smart game. They just sort of stuck around and never let UNI hit that knock out blow, a sign of a good team. Their defense impressed me as a team. I don't think the two DE's shined as much as they were supposed to we do have some good tackles though. However they stepped up as a unit when they had too. The Richmond offense is what impressed me. Vaughn is a good back, really knew how to finish runs. And the quarterback was a great manager.

Congratulations Richmond you played a full 60 minutes and deserved to win.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Watching the game it seemed to me that UNI was dominant most of the time, but I had the feeling that it wasn't good that that they were in a one-score game. Sorry to say that I think the coaching staff choked at the end. UR is a very good team and would rank in the top three or four in the MVC.

Griz0383
December 14th, 2008, 09:22 AM
The last offensive series for UNI was sad and the prevent defense prevented another win! I feel for your seniors that played their last game and fans that did their job cheering loud! UNI's coaches pussed out and IMO, didn't believe in your players to make the plays in the end!

whitey
December 14th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Uggggh. All of these conference strength arguments are futile. Just let it go people.

JMU DJ
December 14th, 2008, 09:31 AM
xrolleyesx Hey Einstein, guess what, you don't have to play/beat JMU et al every year, and UNI hardly sailed through the MVC, although they did get the seed over a more deserving SIU team. A team which also beat UNI and would give UR all they want.

Richmond does have to play JMU every year... sorry, just had to throw that out there. I get what you're saying though, but you could say the same about FBS. Florida doesn't play everyone in the SEC but they are the SEC champs, does that make the SEC weaker or mean Florida isn't a good team? The same could be said about the ACC, BIG 12, etc. Thus, I find this argument about not playing every team in your division invalid.

JMU DJ
December 14th, 2008, 09:33 AM
I always manage to post an argument immediately after another JMU fan says "lets not argue..." But I guess this time it's all right, Whitey is a Mets fan.

State Line Liquors
December 14th, 2008, 09:37 AM

That winning percentage in the regular season wouldn't even get you into the playoffs. Congrats.

Houndawg
December 14th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Richmond does have to play JMU every year... sorry, just had to throw that out there. I get what you're saying though, but you could say the same about FBS. Florida doesn't play everyone in the SEC but they are the SEC champs, does that make the SEC weaker or mean Florida isn't a good team? The same could be said about the ACC, BIG 12, etc. Thus, I find this argument about not playing every team in your division invalid.

I do say the same about the SEC et al that play unbalanced schedules, and the arguement is valid, imo. While Florida may be the best team in the SEC this year, there are years in the SEC, Big 10, et al, that your final ranking (and bowl game), in the case of the CAA, your playoff position, depend on who you avoided rather than who you played. Maine would be a textbook example this year. I've always been of the opinion that a conference is by definition a group of teams that play each other.

NovaHater
December 14th, 2008, 09:50 AM

You think 3-2 with all being home games is a good record xoopsx

In what you people think is suppose to be a huge home advantage xlolx

ChickenMan
December 14th, 2008, 09:52 AM
I've always been of the opinion that a conference is by definition a group of teams that play each other.

and you know what they say about 'opinions'... :p

ChickenMan
December 14th, 2008, 09:53 AM

not all..

3-2 at home

0-1 on the road

State Line Liquors
December 14th, 2008, 09:54 AM

xnodx

State Line Liquors
December 14th, 2008, 09:56 AM
not all..

3-1 at home

0-1 on the road

xnonox

2 home games against UNH, 1 home against Maine, 1 home against UD, 1 home against UR

Record 3-2

Houndawg
December 14th, 2008, 09:57 AM
and you know what they say about 'opinions'... :p

xrolleyesx you mean... ..."opinions are like arsholes, everybody has one...except ChickenMan.... he has an extra one to speak with"?

ChickenMan
December 14th, 2008, 09:58 AM
xnonox

2 home games against UNH, 1 home against Maine, 1 home against UD, 1 home against UR

Record 3-2

and one loss.. at Delaware in '03

State Line Liquors
December 14th, 2008, 09:59 AM
xbowx

ChickenMan
December 14th, 2008, 10:00 AM
xrolleyesx you mean... ..."opinions are like arsholes, everybody has one...except ChickenMan.... he has an extra one to speak with"?

I see you still haven't gotten over those CAA playoff defeats... :D

MacThor
December 14th, 2008, 10:21 AM
UR is a very good team and would rank in the top three or four in the MVC.

Heh. The third place team in the CAA South has just knocked out the OVC champs, the SoCon champs and the MVC champs, the last two on the road.

Insult them all you want, they're playing for the National Championship, not third in the MVC.

Bettina90
December 14th, 2008, 10:28 AM
I do say the same about the SEC et al that play unbalanced schedules, and the arguement is valid, imo. While Florida may be the best team in the SEC this year, there are years in the SEC, Big 10, et al, that your final ranking (and bowl game), in the case of the CAA, your playoff position, depend on who you avoided rather than who you played. Maine would be a textbook example this year. I've always been of the opinion that a conference is by definition a group of teams that play each other.

Well, if nothing else (Einstein), you may want to freshen up on the Divisions in the CAA and how frequently you play the teams in and out of your division.

TCisMYhero
December 14th, 2008, 10:33 AM

You might have had that chance had you taken care of business with UNH. Just a reminder for you as well. We beat them. I wouldn't call that more deservingxthumbsupx .

TCisMYhero
December 14th, 2008, 10:36 AM
and one loss.. at Delaware in '03

And a win @ #1 UNH in 05.

93henfan
December 14th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Regardless of what conference your school is in, you're in denial if you can't see that the CAA is the best conference in FCS football. You're also in denial if you can't see that the CAA, SoCon, MVFC, and BSC are the FCS's equivalent of the BCS conferences in FBS and all the rest are just that - all the rest.

That being said, conferences don't play for the national championship, and three out of the last five seasons, the best team was not a member of the CAA. So, if you're definition of "best conference" is simply "who won the national cahampionship", then it's SoCon in a landslide the past three years and CAA and BSC fighting for the title this season. If you're going to try to make a case that the BSC is the best conference in FCS if Montana wins, be prepared for counterpoint, personal attacks, and general snickering behind your back.

UNIFanSince1983
December 14th, 2008, 11:19 AM
I am not doubting that the CAA is the best overall conference. I was simply saying that calling our conference weak is a joke.

Kabooom
December 14th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Well, if nothing else (Einstein), you may want to freshen up on the Divisions in the CAA and how frequently you play the teams in and out of your division.

Shocking News......It will always be a rightful point of contention for the members of the CAA to defend their conference strength...face it people..the CAA IS the strongest Conference , and has been that way for a few years at least..

With that said ..the condecsending attitude of Bettina and a FEW others from the CAA posting community( I enjoy most CAA posters, as they are quite knowledgable football Nuts)...seem to go out of their way to tell eveyone else how easy they have it in their own little patsy conference......Look CAA....We all dont have the geographical opportunity to be members of the CAA, or to play against the Mighty CAA....In defense of the CAA...they are right ...They PLAY in the TOUGHEST conference..I think that's pretty clear..In defense of their posters...they are a bit sensitive with some the other fans in here from outside their conf.....as NON CAA conference posters on the board seem to often posts BS about CAA members loosing two or three games within their CAA league, and then don't understand how in the hellllllll they made it to the Playoffs with those losses...and that's just plain ignorance..

It's CONDENSCENDING attitudes like that of BETTINA...that get under peoples skin...Richmonds appeal on this site would be much better if BETTINA wasn't on this board ....What a Jackass..and that people...is what is perfectly clear to see...xrotatehx

Bettina90
December 14th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Wow, sensitive much? Or is that a personal attack?

Kabooom
December 14th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Wow, sensitive much? Or is that a personal attack?

An observation......You'd know it if it was an attackxwhistlex

Bettina90
December 14th, 2008, 11:39 AM
I think you may misinterpret my tone, for that I apologize.

But keep in mind it was not me that pointed out the thing about two dudes getting kicked off UNI for drug-related charges, which in a way is what started all this nonsense.

Kabooom
December 14th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I think you may misinterpret my tone, for that I apologize.

But keep in mind it was not me that pointed out the thing about two dudes getting kicked off UNI for drug-related charges, which in a way is what started all this nonsense.

Bettina,

I do not mis-understand your tone.

Not too many people on this site have been FOOLISH enough to mis-understand your tone as well.....regardless of their TEAM, or LEAGUE affilitaion.

Bettina90
December 14th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Well then you are overly sensitive, because I really don't think I've said much that could be taken as offensive.

ChickenMan
December 14th, 2008, 11:56 AM
And a win @ #1 UNH in 05.

You are correct sir.. and that was an impressive win.. sorry for the omission.

SteelCurtain
December 14th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Well then you are overly sensitive, because I really don't think I've said much that could be taken as offensive.

That's total BS....Even your own fans have called you out. Thank god you don't represent the rest of your teams fans.

They are class as you on the other hand...

Purple Knight
December 14th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Uuuugh! Farley's OF Coordinator strikes again. When we get up, we get ultra conservative, and then brings out the junk plays with we need it all.

The 'prevent defense' does it again. Call it the soft-zone or whatever, you never play it tight enough that the receiver can possibly get behind you. UNI executed it perfectly. The receiver was just in front of the defender when he caught the touchdown. Has anyone noticed that when a team changes to 'don't lose the game' mentality, they seem to never make another first down. This approach seems to contaminate the mind and spirit of the coaches and players. For 3 1/2 quarters, UNI shut them down, then they couldn't stop them. I believe you should always attack on both sides of the ball. Take the risk. It's easier to handle any loss when you know you went after it, you gave it your best shot.

TCisMYhero
December 14th, 2008, 12:03 PM
You are correct sir.. and that was an impressive win.. sorry for the omission.

No hard feelings, just wanted to point that out if we're going that far back.

SteelCurtain
December 14th, 2008, 12:06 PM

Not taking a shot here. But in my humble opinion after witnessing both teams first hand UNI is a step above any other team in the conference. Yes you did beat them but I would say their o-line and d-line was the most physical we have played against. Usually we shove teams around and they just physically dominated us up front.

SIU had a good team this year...not great. It will be interesting to see how your new coach progresses. Will he improve off of this year??? Or is he in over his head?? I think that still is to be determined

unhfan1
December 14th, 2008, 12:31 PM
UNI dominant?
Stats:
First downs: Richmond 21 UNI 19
Rushing: Richmond 134 UNI 146
Passing: Richmond 280 UNI 224
Time of Possession Richmond 30:44 UNI 29:16

Seems pretty even to me.

unigriff
December 14th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Well, I have finally come to after trying to think of what I wanted to write.

As this was my last athletic competition as the superfan student at UNI, it was definately the hardest one to chew. I mean for football, 49-16 in five years. 3 conference titles, one national title game and a semi-final heartbreak.

Losing to a National Champion, beating a #1 seed at there place, Losing to a DII team. The "Catch", the INT vs. Texas State, beating UNH 3 times So many memories. It was one hell of a ride.

I thought losing to ASU in 2005 would be ultimate heartwrenching loss that could never be beat for me, but then we lost to Div. 2 North Dakota, and that just made me sick. This loss was just insane feeling wise. It seemed so great going into the fourth quarter. The defense was playing stellar, the Dome caused 5 false starts, and UNI won the turnover ratio again and still to lose.

There are many plays that stick out, Grace's bad decisions stand out a lot too. I think a lot of us try to compare him, or wish he was close to the level Eric Sanders was and that lets us as fans hurt a little more when he messes up. He tries to be the offense. All those QB options, and he only pitched the ball ONCE all season against SIU.
It was also very difficult to sit next to his jersey chasing GF(s) who only cheered for him and no one else...not even for the Panthers, just Pat.
If you watched the game you may have seen their sign about "GRACEfully" in Chattagnooa or whatever. End rant on that.

The big play I think most of all was the punt at the end. While I like the idea of punting it to the corner to try to pin them back, you have to make it go out of bounds at least! 20 more yards is 14 seconds I think. No one knows what would have happened if UR was 20 yards back, but a lot more time would have gone off the clock. The playcalling at the end for UNI is moot because of that punt. That punt goes to the endzone or out of bounds, UR may not score the TD, UNI doesnt have to run offense.

My time at UNI was a blast and being a superfan was worth every penny. I met a ton of fans from UNH, Delaware, APP St, SIU, SDSU, many many more and now Richmond. While every school has some fans who are out of line and a-holes, Richmond was very classy overall and it was great to talk to a lot of you.

For anyone who has come to Cedar Falls, the Dome, or just to Iowa, I hope your visit or stay was worthwhile and enjoyable, win or loss.

I'm going to miss UNI and blowing my voice out in the front row every game of every sport, but we must grow up at some point, right? :)

Good luck to Montana and UR in the finals. Well deserving and should be a good game.

Overall, im just really speechless about last night. It's a hard one to swallow for me.

Big Al
December 14th, 2008, 12:48 PM
UNI dominant?
Stats:
First downs: Richmond 21 UNI 19
Rushing: Richmond 134 UNI 146
Passing: Richmond 280 UNI 224
Time of Possession Richmond 30:44 UNI 29:16

Seems pretty even to me.

I believe he was referring to in-conference, not against Richmond.

UNI & Richmond were two well-matched teams. In the end, the team with the better end-of-game coaching won.

I don't want or expect any sympathy for UNI. We will keep on pushing this boulder up hill, no matter how Sissyphean it seems at times. Let's hear it for next year!

ValleyChamp
December 14th, 2008, 01:29 PM

These are REALLY good teams in the playoffs every year. These are not regular season games. 3-2 in the regular season is not good, but these are the best of the best playing in the playoffs. In the last three playoff appearances for UNI, the Panthers are 4-2 against the CAA. I think that is pretty damn good considering how dominant everyone thinks the CAA is.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 14th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Regardless of what conference your school is in, you're in denial if you can't see that the CAA is the best conference in FCS football. You're also in denial if you can't see that the CAA, SoCon, MVFC, and BSC are the FCS's equivalent of the BCS conferences in FBS and all the rest are just that - all the rest.

That being said, conferences don't play for the national championship, and three out of the last five seasons, the best team was not a member of the CAA. So, if you're definition of "best conference" is simply "who won the national cahampionship", then it's SoCon in a landslide the past three years and CAA and BSC fighting for the title this season. If you're going to try to make a case that the BSC is the best conference in FCS if Montana wins, be prepared for counterpoint, personal attacks, and general snickering behind your back.

And this would different than normal how? :D xbeerchugx

Purple For Life
December 14th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Well, this is what I posted on Panther Nation, to much disagreement xrolleyesx:

We need to be angry!

I should be. We all should be.

So many of you have groused at me already this morning because I'm mad about the play calling.

Well for cryin' out loud, how many times are we going to go through this? How many years are we going to say, "well, we sure screwed it up at the end, but it was a great season."

NO.

Seriously, does it work that way in the real world? If you do a good job leading up to the biggest performance of your career, whatever that may be, and then you fall on your face over and over again, year after year, is your boss going to say, "well, it's okay...you tried your best." No. That wouldn't happen. You're either on probation or you're fired.

I'm all about loyalty and whatnot, but we need to start scrutinizing more. I don't dislike Farley--he's a decent guy. But this situation has come up time and time again. No, he's not making all the decisions. But he's putting the people in place to make decisions. And they are not making good ones.

Can you HONESTLY say that you think that those last two drives were well called? Can you HONESTLY say that our last play was a good idea?

I sure can't.

And I am sick of pissing it away. It isn't as if I'm going to quit being a fan or anything, but you can not honestly say there isn't a small part of you that thinks this way? I'm just willing to be vocal about it. It is ridiculous--we should expect more, demand more, not just pat them on the heads and say that they tried their best, it was a good season, that was just a really good team, etc.

I'm sick of excuses. I want results. I don't think that's so much to ask. And I think it's entirely worth being angry over.

GreatAppSt
December 14th, 2008, 01:41 PM

We need to be angry!

So many of you have groused at me already this morning because I'm mad about the play calling.

Well for cryin' out loud, how many times are we going to go through this? How many years are we going to say, "well, we sure screwed it up at the end, but it was a great season."

NO.

Seriously, does it work that way in the real world? If you do a good job leading up to the biggest performance of your career, whatever that may be, and then you fall on your face over and over again, year after year, is your boss going to say, "well, it's okay...you tried your best." No. That wouldn't happen. You're either on probation or you're fired.

I'm all about loyalty and whatnot, but we need to start scrutinizing more. I don't dislike Farley--he's a decent guy. But this situation has come up time and time again. No, he's not making all the decisions. But he's putting the people in place to make decisions. And they are not making good ones.

Can you HONESTLY say that you think that those last two drives were well called? Can you HONESTLY say that our last play was a good idea?

I sure can't.

And I am sick of pissing it away. It isn't as if I'm going to quit being a fan or anything, but you can not honestly say there isn't a small part of you that thinks this way? I'm just willing to be vocal about it. It is ridiculous--we should expect more, demand more, not just pat them on the heads and say that they tried their best, it was a good season, that was just a really good team, etc.

I'm sick of excuses. I want results. I don't think that's so much to ask. And I think it's entirely worth being angry over.

xthumbsupx

Purple For Life
December 14th, 2008, 01:45 PM
xthumbsupx

I only had ONE person agree with me over there. Everyone else jumped on me.

Seriously though...how many farking times are we going to do this to ourselves? xmadx

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 14th, 2008, 01:46 PM

We need to be angry!

NO.

I sure can't.

I am not going to argue many of your points, but I do agree with the theme to some degree. We just have to be careful how we get to the higher level of success. If you settle for mediocracy(SP?), that is what you will get. But on the other hand, there are a lot of teams and fan groups that would love to have your consitency and the success you have had. Keep pushing it and try to find the balance of pushing and being a good fan, fine line somewhere. xpeacex

JMU DJ
December 14th, 2008, 01:50 PM

Seriously though...how many farking times are we going to do this to ourselves? xmadx

Ask the Buffalo Bills and Scott Norwood (JMU grad to tie it into FCS discussion). It's tough to be consistently good and have nothing to show for it but a loss in the playoffs. There can only be ONE Highlander.

Big Al
December 14th, 2008, 02:17 PM

Well, the reason people disagree with you is because you're letting 2 minutes define the entire season. I don't know how reaching the semifinals and losing by 1 point with 14 seconds left on the clock suddenly equals "mediocrity". It is most certainly a bitter pill and it is appropriate to expect Farley to learn from his coaching mistakes in this game and make changes.

However, I think your attitude that heads must roll is a bit of an overreaction.

Bettina90
December 14th, 2008, 02:52 PM
That's total BS....Even your own fans have called you out. Thank god you don't represent the rest of your teams fans.

They are class as you on the other hand...

One post by one person that they later scaled back a bit.

It's almost hysterical at this point. Believe what you want to believe but there isn't much evidence to your lack of point.

Silenoz
December 14th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Another thread hijacked by waste of time conference arguments

MacThor
December 14th, 2008, 03:18 PM
For 3 1/2 quarters, UNI shut them down, then they couldn't stop them. I believe you should always attack on both sides of the ball. Take the risk. It's easier to handle any loss when you know you went after it, you gave it your best shot.

I agree with your sentiments on the prevent D. However, UR took the kickoff after the 20-7 FG in the third quarter, then marched pretty impressively down the field to score the TD to make it 20-14 early in the fourth. (This is about the time you could see a lot of "oh sh**" looks on the faces of UNI fans).

So UNI didn't shut 'em down for 3.5 qtrs.

Native
December 14th, 2008, 03:44 PM
My observations:
1. Billy Halgren may be the worst kicker in North America. Are you really going to shank a 30 yarder. And then the 51 yarder was a really nice kick.... for an onsides kick....

Sophomore Billy Hallgren, who scored 96 points for the Panthers last year (the most by a freshman kicker in the history of the program) and LEADS THE NATION with 108 kicking points this year, hitting more than 70% in the red zone for two years running, is your pick for worst kicker in North America? Billy Hallgren, who drew first blood and opened scoring for UNI in four games this season with a 35-yard FG against Richmond, a 33 yard FG against Brigham Young, a 47-yard FG against North Dakota State, and a 24-yard FG against Western Illinois? Billy Hallgren, who LEADS UNI in scoring, scored in double digits five times this season, and whose foot provided the margin of victory against New Hampshire, Southern Utah and Youngstown State? Billy Hallgren, who made 10 touchbacks and averaged more than 60 yards on kickoffs this season?

xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

Billy's single missed kick against Richmond was a 42-yard attempt in the second quarter. Was the hold good? Was the snap good? Were there any missed blocking assignments? Did a Spider get a finger on the ball? xreadx Every one of the top fifteen kickers in the NFL have missed 40-something or shorter kicks this year.

Billy Hallgren is a GREAT kicker of whom Northern Iowa fans should be MOST PROUD. The ONLY thing that will make him a "bad" kicker is if he lets the comments of ungrateful and ill-informed knuckleheads get into his mind. The ONLY thing that matters is that Billy Hallgren is an elite kicker who has performed superbly for his team and knows he can make the next kick, as he has demonstrated with professional-level consistency at the highest competitive levels of college football!

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

Kabooom
December 14th, 2008, 03:45 PM
I agree with your sentiments on the prevent D. However, UR took the kickoff after the 20-7 FG in the third quarter, then marched pretty impressively down the field to score the TD to make it 20-14 early in the fourth. (This is about the time you could see a lot of "oh sh**" looks on the faces of UNI fans).

So UNI didn't shut 'em down for 3.5 qtrs.

......Agreed...Tough loss UNI. I feel for you guys..

With that said....You let any Top Tier CAA Team (or any top FCS program)lurk on your teams shadow into the 4th Qtr, and soft conservative play calling will probably get you into trouble....I think heads up that both UNI and Richmond were pretty evenly talented. My opinion...Mr. Farley and Staff's play-calling decisions need to take the majority of the blame with this loss.

One thing is certain, Uni will be back in the thick of it next year, as it always does.

mainejeff
December 14th, 2008, 03:53 PM
The officiating was bad both ways tonight. Were you even watching the game??

Yes, I was. And I watched the prior 2 games involving UNI at home as well.

mainejeff
December 14th, 2008, 03:56 PM

How many of those games were outside, and on the road?

xcoffeex

crunifan
December 14th, 2008, 04:01 PM
How many of those games were outside, and on the road?

xcoffeex

All three were are home. But we did beat #1 New Hampshire in Durham on our trip to the national title in 2005.

Bottom line, we have one hell of an amazing home field advantage, no one can deny that. And we do everything in our power to make sure we get that advantage as often as possible. That's called being smart.

mainejeff
December 14th, 2008, 04:05 PM
All three were are home. But we did beat #1 New Hampshire in Durham on our trip to the national title in 2005.

Bottom line, we have one hell of an amazing home field advantage, no one can deny that. And we do everything in our power to make sure we get that advantage as often as possible. That's called being smart.

And because you are indoors, you will always be on the NCAA's list for home playoff games. Other Northern programs should take note. xthumbsupx

Native
December 14th, 2008, 04:08 PM

We need to be angry!

NO.

I sure can't.

Well then, Purple, suit right up! Which position do you play? I look forward to reading about your contributions! xrolleyesx

Big Al
December 14th, 2008, 04:11 PM
And because you are indoors, you will always be on the NCAA's list for home playoff games. Other Northern programs should take note. xthumbsupx

Huh?

When UNI go to the finals in '05, it was on the road. I believe they played all road games in 03 & 01, as well.

UNI has enjoyed home field advantage the last two years because of our regular season record and subsequent seed. Are you saying that UNI was undeserving of their seed?

Historically, UNI has had to bid for home games, just like everyone else. Also, had App State won last week, we would have traveled there rather than playing in the dome.

So, in summation, if you would like to play at home in the postseason either a) win more games in the regular season (only way to get a seed) or b) bid for the hosting rights.

UNIFanSince1983
December 14th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Sophomore Billy Hallgren, who scored 96 points for the Panthers last year (the most by a freshman kicker in the history of the program) and LEADS THE NATION with 108 kicking points this year, hitting more than 70% in the red zone for two years running, is your pick for worst kicker in North America? Billy Hallgren, who drew first blood and opened scoring for UNI in four games this season with a 35-yard FG against Richmond, a 33 yard FG against Brigham Young, a 47-yard FG against North Dakota State, and a 24-yard FG against Western Illinois? Billy Hallgren, who LEADS UNI in scoring, scored in double digits five times this season, and whose foot provided the margin of victory against New Hampshire, Southern Utah and Youngstown State? Billy Hallgren, who made 10 touchbacks and averaged more than 60 yards on kickoffs this season?

xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

Billy's single missed kick against Richmond was a 42-yard attempt in the second quarter. Was the hold good? Was the snap good? Were there any missed blocking assignments? Did a Spider get a finger on the ball? xreadx Every one of the top fifteen kickers in the NFL have missed 40-something or shorter kicks this year.

Billy Hallgren is a GREAT kicker of whom Northern Iowa fans should be MOST PROUD. The ONLY thing that will make him a "bad" kicker is if he lets the comments of ungrateful and ill-informed knuckleheads get into his mind. The ONLY thing that matters is that Billy Hallgren is an elite kicker who has performed superbly for his team and knows he can make the next kick, as he has demonstrated with professional-level consistency at the highest competitive levels of college football!

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

He missed a 51 yarder yesterday too. But other than that RIGHT ON and I completely agree with you!! xnodx xnodx xnodx

Native
December 14th, 2008, 04:20 PM
He missed a 51 yarder yesterday too. But other than that RIGHT ON and I completely agree with you!! xnodx xnodx xnodx

Hmm... I missed the 51-yd attempt in the espn play-by-play. Which quarter?

By the way, congrats on a great season! xthumbsupx

skinny_uncle
December 14th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Tough loss for the Panthers. Everything that needed to go right for Richmond down the stretch did. It must have been destiny.

UNIFanSince1983
December 14th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Overall, I am over this game. It sucked, but only 4 teams can say they made it this far. And at the end there will only be 1 team that says they were the National Champions of FCS in 2008. Once again it will not be the Panthers.

I really have no qualms with the play calling except for the attempted trick play with 10 seconds and timeout and only needing about 30 yards for a field goal attempt to win the game.

The calls with 2 minutes left to just try and run three times was not a bad idea. Richmond had all 3 timeouts left. By running we made them use them all. If we try and pass and it is incomplete we give them and extra timeout. Richmond did what they needed at the end by making plays and figuring out the key to beating us was short out patterns which we were giving them all day. Or they would match their fast receivers up against our linebackers who could not keep up.

From that stand point maybe some coaching calls needed to be questioned, but I know none of us complaining about it could do any better. I trust the coaches and I think they are some of the best in the country. Other Panther fans need to start getting over it. We lost nothing can change that now.

igo4uni
December 14th, 2008, 05:13 PM

Jeff, you know better than to post this. The teams that are seeded and bid the most $$ get home field advantage.

NoCoDanny
December 14th, 2008, 05:14 PM
They choked, no sympathy for them.

henfan
December 14th, 2008, 06:38 PM
I feel badly for the UNI players and their fans. They've been so close so many times.

You've got to wonder how many more times this program is going to take shots to the heart before the school begins taking a good hard look at Farley's gameday coaching decisions. xsmhx

The final play was bad enough, but not attempting to take a risk on offense on the next to last series proved fatal. Farley played not to lose again. That's how you lose (or not win) championships.

achrist70
December 14th, 2008, 06:55 PM
I don't think Farley is a problem. Who is there that UNI could get that would be better. Farley knows the program better than anyone. He is starting to bring in great recruiting classes year after year. And his staff is one of the best in the nation. Would I like him to step on the necks of some teams when he gets the chance? Yes. But would we rather have Mike Dunbar? 5 years with no playoffs I don't think so. I just hope that a certain douche bag AD in the state doesn't dangle a big contract in front of his face and steal him away from us. He doesn't have the connections with recruiting to be successful in the Big 12, all you have to do is look at what happened to Terry Allen.

Bettina90
December 14th, 2008, 07:00 PM
I actually think that 2nd to last UNI series is a pretty difficult coaching scenario. You get a bit aggressive (see the Bills-Jets ending today) and if it blows up in your face you look like an idiot. But you get conservative like they did and someone comes back and beats you. The way UNI D was playing I don't totally blame Farley. But I always like to see a coach (especially my own) put the game away. I actually think the best play is a safe, play action pass to the tight end on first down to just get 6-7 yards.

But like I said, another 30 seconds on or off the clock and that sequence is probably easier of a call for Farley.

ValleyChamp
December 14th, 2008, 07:28 PM
I actually think that 2nd to last UNI series is a pretty difficult coaching scenario. You get a bit aggressive (see the Bills-Jets ending today) and if it blows up in your face you look like an idiot. But you get conservative like they did and someone comes back and beats you. The way UNI D was playing I don't totally blame Farley. But I always like to see a coach (especially my own) put the game away. I actually think the best play is a safe, play action pass to the tight end on first down to just get 6-7 yards.

But like I said, another 30 seconds on or off the clock and that sequence is probably easier of a call for Farley.

You're right. That is what my stance is as well. On one hand, you have to run the ball all three downs to force UR to use the timeouts. Its a low risk for getting the first down, but then all the TO's are gone, making it difficult for UR to drive the lenght of the field. On the other hand, you throw the ball to try to get the first down, but run the risk of an incompletion.

Obviously, hind sight says we should have thrown the ball. But that may have turned out the same way. Then people would be saying we should have just run the ball three times.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 14th, 2008, 07:37 PM
It's always easer to call plays after the fact.

ValleyChamp
December 14th, 2008, 07:46 PM

You know, if it was playstation, I would have just had a do-over.xcoffeex

Purple For Life
December 14th, 2008, 08:17 PM

It should have been an OBVIOUS call in the FIRST place.

Purple For Life
December 14th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I feel badly for the UNI players and their fans. They've been so close so many times.

You've got to wonder how many more times this program is going to take shots to the heart before the school begins taking a good hard look at Farley's gameday coaching decisions. xsmhx

The final play was bad enough, but not attempting to take a risk on offense on the next to last series proved fatal. Farley played not to lose again. That's how you lose (or not win) championships.

That's exactly my point, man...I just don't see how many more damn times we are going to shoot ourselves in the foot. Cripes.

MacThor
December 14th, 2008, 10:24 PM
I tell you what........I just re-watched "the drive" and UNI really didn't go into a pure prevent D. They were sending 5 guys on nearly every play....Ward was just very good at the dinking and dunking.

achrist70
December 14th, 2008, 11:22 PM
There was one play that really got me. You could tell we were in too much of a prevent defense, and afraid to go out of their assigned space. Terrell McMoore had great coverage on one of the receivers, but stopped his coverage to stay in his zone. Richmond through the ball over his head and had had a nice pick up and out of bounds. Watching the team all year, any other time he would have kept that coverage, and made a great play on the ball that was thrown, possibly picked it off. That last drive the defense just seemed to stop taking some chances which was the thing that I think made them so great all year.

Bettina90
December 14th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Threw.

henfan
December 14th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I don't think Farley is a problem. Who is there that UNI could get that would be better. Farley knows the program better than anyone.

Sounds like UNI is satisfied with the results Farley's produced. No question about it, the guy knows how to recruit and win games. xnodx

Daved
December 14th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Threw.Soon afterwards Through.

Big Al
December 15th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Sounds like UNI is satisfied with the results Farley's produced. No question about it, the guy knows how to recruit and win games. xnodx

Satisfied? I dunno -- this was a harder loss to take than last year's loss to UD. Unlike the Fightin' Joe Flaccos, I felt our team was every bit the equal to the Spiders. They just found a way to gut out the win. I guess I would say "Acceptance" over "Satisfied".

That said, I know there all but about 2 other teams in FCS who would love to have UNI's record.

Cobblestone
December 15th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Sympathy for UNI? xlolx

CONGRATS RICHMOND! CAA RULES!

Gil Dobie
December 15th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Sympathy is in the dictionary between shiate and syphilyis.

UNI had a good team, just came up short. Congrats on a good game, MVFC champs and a great season, and Congrats to Richmond for winning the game over such a team.

achrist70
December 15th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Sympathy for UNI? xlolx

CONGRATS RICHMOND! CAA RULES!

Really someone from Rhode Island hating on UNI. You guys had 3 wins this year, and didn't play Richmond or James Madison.

Ronin
December 15th, 2008, 01:05 PM
UNI has a habit of shooting themselves in the foot from a coaching perspective. Ultra conservative playcalling in the last few minutes to fall behind, then one of the biggest gadget plays I've seen to ensure no field goal attempt.

I hate losing to stupidity. A tipped ball for an interception, a broken tackle... but bad play calls, Arghhhhh!

henfan
December 15th, 2008, 01:46 PM
UNI has a habit of shooting themselves in the foot from a coaching perspective. Ultra conservative playcalling in the last few minutes to fall behind, then one of the biggest gadget plays I've seen to ensure no field goal attempt.

I hate losing to stupidity. A tipped ball for an interception, a broken tackle... but bad play calls, Arghhhhh!

Granted, I haven't seen Farley coach as much as you guys but, nearly every time I have, he's made a blunder that's cost his team a chance at winning. I think of some of the poor playing calling last Saturday and vs. UD in '07. Then I go back to '03 when Farley & his staff totally botched the travel plans to Newark; not to mention the fact that his team seemed completely unprepared to compete that day. Seems like a re-occuring theme in big games with this guy.

UNI definitely has had the horses to win titles. A lot of credit should go to Farley in that regard.

crunifan
December 15th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I agree, Farley is an amazing recruiter. And it seems that UNI's recruiting classes are getting even better. But you have to question some of his play calling in big game situations.

I guess that is what is so frustrating about being a UNI fan. We have all the resources required to win those titles, but we just don't utilize them properly.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 15th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I think the folks that are lining up to crucify Farley have to look at that 4th-and-2 play once again that Richmond converted to keep their miracle drive alive. That was a big-time play by a spare part of the Spider attack to make that catch.

He drops that - and then Farley looks like a genius, and Richmond fans are kicking themselves as to why on Earth Ward went to his second or third option on the pass to a guy who has barely touched the ball all year.

But he didn't.

I do have to say one thing about the UNI fans, though. There is a serious Cubs-itis in Cedar Falls. I was really taken aback how the fans were reacting while the Panthers WERE AHEAD near the end of the game - as if the Panthers were pre-destined to lose all along.

Cobblestone
December 15th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Really someone from Rhode Island hating on UNI. You guys had 3 wins this year, and didn't play Richmond or James Madison.

Not hating UNI dude, just supporting my CAA brethren. No need to remind me of our record. We have had a first year coach who is cleaning up after a train wreck.

xpeacex

crunifan
December 15th, 2008, 03:13 PM
I think the folks that are lining up to crucify Farley have to look at that 4th-and-2 play once again that Richmond converted to keep their miracle drive alive. That was a big-time play by a spare part of the Spider attack to make that catch.

He drops that - and then Farley looks like a genius, and Richmond fans are kicking themselves as to why on Earth Ward went to his second or third option on the pass to a guy who has barely touched the ball all year.

But he didn't.

I do have to say one thing about the UNI fans, though. There is a serious Cubs-itis in Cedar Falls. I was really taken aback how the fans were reacting while the Panthers WERE AHEAD near the end of the game - as if the Panthers were pre-destined to lose all along.

Are you talking about how UNI fans acted as if we knew we were going to lose? Because if you are, we have seen way too many games where we are up by a couple of scores and watch our play calling get ultra conservative only to see the lead vanish. This is a UNI tradition. Gain a somewhat sizeable lead, piss it away, grind out a close finish. Luckily we are usually on the good side, but not this weekend.

Mountain Panther
December 15th, 2008, 03:16 PM

But he didn't.

Put yourself in our shoes...

1) This year vs. Richmond
2) Last year vs. Delaware
3) 2005 vs. App State

I think we have a right to be critical and nervous. We're definately the Dallas Cowboys (with Romo) of FCS.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 15th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Put yourself in our shoes...

1) This year vs. Richmond
2) Last year vs. Delaware
3) 2005 vs. App State

I think we have a right to be critical and nervous. We're definately the Dallas Cowboys (with Romo) of FCS.

Gee, I'll try.xrolleyesx

Aeacos
December 15th, 2008, 04:17 PM
I agree, Farley is an amazing recruiter. And it seems that UNI's recruiting classes are getting even better. But you have to question some of his play calling in big game situations.

I guess that is what is so frustrating about being a UNI fan. We have all the resources required to win those titles, but we just don't utilize them properly.

I think he just needs to get a better OC and trust him to call the plays and focus on the D. But who knows if thatw ill ever happen

blueballs
December 15th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Mark Farley didn't cost UNI that game not even one iota. In fact, his stewardship of the program and game management put his players in a position to compete for a national title but his players didn't make quite enough plays.

UNI's players blew enough opportunities that they left 20 points on the field in the first half. If each of the players executed as they had been coached to do the game might have been a blowout.

As far as running off a good coach and a good man and trashing a system that produces winners, you UNI folks need to put down the bong and think for a minute.

Be careful what you wish for... ask the GSU folks how overreacting after one bad quarter of playoff football, firing a coach and trashing a system that had produced six titles (with Jayson Foster and Chris Covington coming back at QB and RB for two and three years respectively) has worked out in the last three years.

UNI has a good program, a good coach who is relatively young, and fans who care. You have a good thing going... don't let the frustration of coming up a little short on the national stage diminish the great accomplishments of your coaches and players.

Just because a man is not a champion doesn't mean he's not a winner. Mark Farley and the UNI programs are winners.

UNIFanSince1983
December 15th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Mark Farley didn't cost UNI that game not even one iota. In fact, his stewardship of the program and game management put his players in a position to compete for a national title but his players didn't make quite enough plays.

UNI's players blew enough opportunities that they left 20 points on the field in the first half. If each of the players executed as they had been coached to do the game might have been a blowout.

As far as running off a good coach and a good man and trashing a system that produces winners, you UNI folks need to put down the bong and think for a minute.

Be careful what you wish for... ask the GSU folks how overreacting after one bad quarter of playoff football, firing a coach and trashing a system that had produced six titles (with Jayson Foster and Chris Covington coming back at QB and RB for two and three years respectively) has worked out in the last three years.

UNI has a good program, a good coach who is relatively young, and fans who care. You have a good thing going... don't let the frustration of coming up a little short on the national stage diminish the great accomplishments of your coaches and players.

Just because a man is not a champion doesn't mean he's not a winner. Mark Farley and the UNI programs are winners.

Could not have said this better myself!! xbowx xbowx

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 15th, 2008, 05:04 PM

Could you restate that but for Matthews and JMU xbowx Might help shut up some of our "can MM!!#@$#@" band wagon hoppers.

achrist70
December 15th, 2008, 05:06 PM
All of these people are calling for more aggressive play calling, I'll repeat myself would we rather go back to the Mike Dunbar days all offense all the time and no defense. That worked out well for us. No playoffs in four years. Could Soloman open up the playbook a little bit more? Sure. But I would rather have this type of team that isn't only making the playoffs but winning some games in the playoffs, rather than a ultra aggressive offense and no defense that isn't playing in December. Farley is a winner, and he is the man that is our best shot to lead us to a National championship.

Mountain Panther
December 15th, 2008, 05:06 PM

Agreed, but you might feel a little different if you had ZERO national titles.

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 15th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Agreed, but you might feel a little different if you had ZERO national titles.

Being completely honest I'd trade JMU's National Title for Montana's fans and game day environment. The title is just another trophy. Its the game day environment that makes me love the game.

Daved
December 15th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Being completely honest I'd trade JMU's National Title for Montana's fans and game day environment. The title is just another trophy. Its the game day environment that makes me love the game.Being completely honest I think you will consider your numerous titles meaningless once you get a NC.

Native
December 15th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Mark Farley didn't cost UNI that game ... his stewardship of the program and game management put his players in a position to compete for a national title but his players didn't make quite enough plays.

...Mark Farley and the UNI programs are winners.

Ditto!xthumbsupx

uni_Panther
December 15th, 2008, 06:48 PM
I read in the Des Moines Register today that Farley called the three runs because he thought that his defense could make the play much like they had most of the season. I personally think it was the right decision to run three times but maybe thats just me.

UNI Pike
December 15th, 2008, 07:34 PM
The issues I have with Farley is that as a former DEF player and a DEF coach, he falls back on the maxim that the DEF will make a play to save the team's bacon. That is fine to do sometimes, however it seems that this is the default answer. How many times can you rely on that in one game? The DEF did its job with 2 minutes left. Then they had to defend a 60 yard field.

The reason we got to the NC in 2005 was OFF. Sanders, et al won many games we should have not won, quite honestly. While Pat Grace is a great athlete, he simply does not have the passing accuracy Sanders did. He has has his feet, but with a bad knee and a bum shoulder up against a killer run DEF, it does not create a scenario for a breakout run game.

What many have not had the pleasure of seeing is how we obtain a 10-14 point lead and revert to play calling like UNI three and out at the end of the fourth quarter. I believe that is were the heartburn for many Panther fans lies. Somewhere in the 4th quarter we seem to transition from playing to win to playing the odds/let's not make a mistake.

If you are going to run for 10 yards, and the other team expects you to run for 10 yards, you better put in the horses and not run reverses. We have fullbacks that are 240 & 280 pounds for cryin out loud. Use the jumbo package.

This takes nothing away from UR. They won the game. We did not make the plays when we needed to. Flat out. Wish we would have won, but we did not, and it sucks.

Good luck to both UR and MT. Play a great game and no injuries hopefully. Next year is an odd year, so hopefully we can reload.

DOME
December 15th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Whats better than a gold medal at the special olympics? Not being 'special'

What would be worse than losing in the Semi-Finals? Being an Iowa State fan, Being an Iowa fan, not making the SEMI FINALS. (And being a Cubs fan which I am :(

I'm not gonna lie, I do want to see UNI blow everyone out by 40+ every game. I'm also not gonna lie that those games are the ones that I leave at halftime and go to the bar during.

As for me I'll be a Panther fan still, may even buy my first ever season tickets now that I'm two seasons removed from being a student. UNI has a lot of guys coming back and we still have that magical dome, and Mulligan's, and Pump Haus.

P.S. Did anyone notice how the Dome caused five (?) false starts on UR in the first half? It wont outright win a game for us other than SIU but we sure as shut wont lose because of it.

unialum95
December 15th, 2008, 09:24 PM

Thanks for the great post. It's tough to take losses like that but receiving respect like that makes it hurt just a little less.

Congrats to Richmond. We'll be back next year.

Peems
December 15th, 2008, 09:57 PM
IMO there were only two "strange" playcalls, the reverse on the 3 and out series and then the trick play at the end. Richmond didn't seem too worried about a reverse and that trick play was just plain bizarre

Big Al
December 15th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Great post -- although I will respectfully disagree that Farley isn't above criticism. He absolutely does the good things you credit him for, and that is why I don't want him to go anywhere. I do want him to learn from this loss and not keep on repeating it in the future.

I'm not that critical of the players because UR left points on the field, as well. I don't see the missed plays as being the factor that cost us the game. Had the score been reversed, I'm sure Spider fans would have pointed to the missed FG at the end of the first half or the unforced fumble as two plays that "cost them the game".

ValleyChamp
December 16th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Whats better than a gold medal at the special olympics? Not being 'special'

What would be worse than losing in the Semi-Finals? Being an Iowa State fan, Being an Iowa fan, not making the SEMI FINALS. (And being a Cubs fan which I am :(

I'm not gonna lie, I do want to see UNI blow everyone out by 40+ every game. I'm also not gonna lie that those games are the ones that I leave at halftime and go to the bar during.

As for me I'll be a Panther fan still, may even buy my first ever season tickets now that I'm two seasons removed from being a student. UNI has a lot of guys coming back and we still have that magical dome, and Mulligan's, and Pump Haus.

P.S. Did anyone notice how the Dome caused five (?) false starts on UR in the first half? It wont outright win a game for us other than SIU but we sure as shut wont lose because of it.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx Poor Salukis.