PDA

View Full Version : FCS National Championship Game: University of Montana vs. University of Richmond

Pages : [1] 2

Grizalltheway
December 13th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Vote and discuss.

Wellington
December 13th, 2008, 06:17 PM
MONTANA!! As long as Bergquist does good like last game. He's an up-and-down QB.

Tribe4SF
December 13th, 2008, 06:18 PM
RICHMOND!

griz&beer
December 13th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Griz will win.

KleinTx05
December 13th, 2008, 06:22 PM
I got Montana in this game ...That Grizz are really some GRIZZLY BEARS!!! these guys will wear you down literally ... Unless Richmond can use the pass effectively and efficiently FOLKs THIS COULD BE UGLY ...Montana is a well oiled machine!!! xnodx

Pattycakes
December 13th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Griz, with the way that their offense is clicking and their solid defense they should be able to win in chatty.

Silenoz
December 13th, 2008, 06:24 PM
I sense the Griz fans all pick us, and the CAA fans all pick Richmond xlolx

slycat
December 13th, 2008, 06:26 PM
The teams match up pretty well but the Griz are clicking right now.

Grizalltheway
December 13th, 2008, 06:26 PM

That's why I made it a public poll. xthumbsupx xwhistlex

ncbears
December 13th, 2008, 06:28 PM
The winner will be Montana!

Tribe4SF
December 13th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Spiders win at ASU, and at UNI on consecutive weekends. This is a very good football team. Final should be a good one.

BCS Sucks
December 13th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Well 4 CAA teams down one to go

AAadict
December 13th, 2008, 06:32 PM
2002. Last time a champ came from outside the SoCon or CAA (A10). Richmond will win. Even though it is the first trip for the Spider program to the NC.

Canyoncat
December 13th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Griz are clicking. They win fairly easily.

DTSpider
December 13th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Richmond has one less day and a ton of injuries from the "turf" at the Dome. Should be a great game. Richmond will be the underdog, like they have been in 9 games already this year, but if we can beat ASU and UNI on the road in consecutive weeks, why not Montana as well?

mvemjsunpx
December 13th, 2008, 06:37 PM
If the Griz keep playing the way they have been, no FCS team will beat them.

DuckDuckGriz
December 13th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Wow do we all have short memories. After what Richmond did in Boone, there is no way I can predict Montana with a big win. I am predicting the Griz win, but by 3 points or less.

The Spiders are going to be a tougher test than JMU.

NDSUFREAK
December 13th, 2008, 06:42 PM
GO GRIZ

DuckDuckGriz
December 13th, 2008, 06:43 PM
GO GRIZ

Man maroon looks good on you freak.

GrizzlyBill
December 13th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Homer pick for the Griz, but I don't see much real advantage to claim. I expect another good game by two very motivated teams. NO INJURIES!

JayJ79
December 13th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Go Griz.

UMass922
December 13th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I'm predicting Montana and rooting for Richmond.

Grizaholic17
December 13th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Gotta say Montana for this one. I am hoping for a good game though. I don't want a blow out either way. Witnessing this will be fun.

Bettina90
I know nothing about the Griz, had a party to attend and could not even watch last night. Mobile QB?

Go Lehigh TU owl
Gotta pull for Richmond just to so the idiots that run PL football that scholarships doesn't mean you can't have good academics and football. Although it would be a huge recruiting tool for Richmond if they do win.

utcfan
December 13th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Go Spiders.

Silenoz
December 13th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I know nothing about the Griz, had a party to attend and could not even watch last night. Mobile QB?

No Landers or Edwards, but yeah, he has busted off more than a few 40-50 yard TD runs

UNIFanSince1983
December 13th, 2008, 07:00 PM
I picked the Griz. Overall, should be a pretty good game. Richmond's defense is pretty much as good as advertised. Those huge boys on the front line for Montana just look like they can't be stopped, though. Plus I originally picked the Griz in my pool.

Silenoz
December 13th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Though I did pick the Griz, I do have a long memory. I (along with most of our fan base) was extremely confident of a win in 2004. So, any given Saturday... (or Friday in this case)

ViennaSpider
December 13th, 2008, 07:04 PM
If the Spiders can just stay healthy (and get Kevin Grayson back), we have a chance.

Montana_Mojo
December 13th, 2008, 07:10 PM
I believe Montana will win this game as long as they continue to take care of the football like they have throughout the playoffs, starting in the second half against Texas St.

This will be a very physical game. Richmond has a lot of size, strength, and athleticism on offense, and their defense is nasty up front. Fairly evenly matched teams that have been winning with grit, toughness, and running the ball. It's going to be a matter of which team protects the football better and imposes its will on the other.

Both teams come in with a lot of momentum and on long winning streaks. So something has to give. I like the Griz in a punishing physical slugfest.

MONTANA 20
Richmond 13

grizdad
December 13th, 2008, 07:10 PM
It will come down to execution and turnovers like always. I do believe we will win the battle in the trenches. Our line is stupid good. I will go out on a limb and call it THE BEST OFFENSIVE LINE IN THE HISTORY OF U of M! xnodx Anything can happen in this game though. The Spiders are no Slouch.

Go Griz!xrotatehx

HiHiYikas
December 13th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Well, only one other private school has ever won the FCS title - Furman back in 1988.

And Furman is a Baptist school named for Richard Furman, though it wasn't founded by Furman.

Richard Furman helped found the Columbian College, a training school for Baptist preachers in the District of Columbia. It failed miserably, eventually coming under state control and taking the name George Washington University.

One of the first graduates of Columbian College was a young Virginia Baptist named Robert Ryland. When Virginia Baptists asked Ryland about establishing another Baptist training school in Richmond, he said "What's the use? We have Columbian 100 miles up the road. No need for two Baptist schools to compete."

Well, someone talked Ryland into it, because he not only came to support the idea, he became the school's first President.

This is all to say I have nothing relevant to add, and can't come up with a pick for the title game.

Come to think of it, I should have saved this useless information for a Furman - Richmond title game.

Bettina90
December 13th, 2008, 07:13 PM
If the Spiders can just stay healthy (and get Kevin Grayson back), we have a chance.

For F's sake, WTF happened to Grayson? Saw him on the sideline at one point but heard no mention of an injury (but I was in and out grilling for part of the 3rd Quarter).

GrizNation93
December 13th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Its going to be a hell of a game. Both teams are playing really well (obviously) and both beat some really good teams on their way to Chatty. Call me a homer, but I think the Griz O is going to wear the Spiders down with Reynolds and hit a few big passes along the way. The D will continue to be opportunistic and hopefully cause a couple of turnovers.

caribbeanhen
December 13th, 2008, 07:15 PM
should be a great game..Richmond wins if they protect the ball

Flathead Griz
December 13th, 2008, 07:17 PM
My biggest single fear is that Coulson will pick the Griz to win.

caribbeanhen
December 13th, 2008, 07:17 PM
For F's sake, WTF happened to Grayson? Saw him on the sideline at one point but heard no mention of an injury (but I was in and out grilling for part of the 3rd Quarter).

I was curious about that...on the sidelines but he appeared to be good to go

ChickenMan
December 13th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Well 4 CAA teams down one to go

Kind of tough to have three or four CAA teams playing in a two team championship game... :p

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 13th, 2008, 07:19 PM

They said he pulled his groin. In the first half he caught a pass took about 3 steps and just fell down with no one near him.

93henfan
December 13th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Richmond wins. Griz keep it close for three quarters. 31-17 UR.

Montana_Mojo
December 13th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Though I did pick the Griz, I do have a long memory. I (along with most of our fan base) was extremely confident of a win in 2004. So, any given Saturday... (or Friday in this case)

I don't think any Griz fan is over-confident going up against a fine, physical team like Richmond has. I have to admit that I was over-confident in '04, and expected the Griz to win. Not this time. I'm optimistic, and think the Griz have an excellent chance. But Richmond has beaten App. State and No. Iowa on the road, so they're for real and deserve to be in the title tilt.

However, I do think the Griz have the advantage of a full seven days of rest, while Richmond will be on a shorter week. I'm sure the Griz coaching staff was studying today's game closely to get a jump on game planning.

Bettina90
December 13th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Well, if the Grizi run D is not on the order of UNI then Grayson's potential absence will not be as disastrous. And the same thing goes if they are not as able to take Sidbury and Logan out of the game with moving pockets, misdirection, and quick laterals.

Tailbone
December 13th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Crap. what's with all the PC?
The way the Griz are playing, they will win convincingly...if not easily.
Unless tonight's game was an anomaly, Montana wins their third trophy.....but more importantly, they finish atop the all powerful CAA!

93henfan
December 13th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Crap. what's with all the PC?
The way the Griz are playing, they will win convincingly...if not easily.
Unless tonight's game was an anomaly, Montana wins their third trophy.....but more importantly, they finish atop the all powerful CAA!

Keep on thinking that.xthumbsupx Montana beat a JMU team without its best player for a half. Richmond has plinked two seeds on the road, including the mighty App State.

Bison "FANatic"
December 13th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Good luck Griz!!!!!!

UNHCATSFAN
December 13th, 2008, 07:43 PM
i gotta say advantage richmond...shorter travel to Chatty and they have played the better teams as of late IMO. Should be a solid game though.

DuckDuckGriz
December 13th, 2008, 07:45 PM
i gotta say advantage richmond...shorter travel to Chatty and they have played the better teams as of late IMO. Should be a solid game though.

Sorry, but after last night that makes no sense to me.

veinup
December 13th, 2008, 07:56 PM
I'm voting for my boys, despite Richmond's absolutely KICK ASS helmets. Damn I love those helmets. Win or lose, I would love it if one of you Richmond kids sent me a hoodie that just has a big red spider on it. :)

gbhmt
December 13th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Sorry, but after last night that makes no sense to me.

Yeah no kidding. Griz did what Richmond couldn't.

But here's my analysis anyway:

Both teams will be facing the best defenses they've seen all year. UM's defense has gotten to Villanova's level over time. Richmond's speaks for itself. I think that if Cole plays like he did last night, Montana has the better and more balanced offense. Chase is pretty much a constant, he'll run wild. Montana will probably keep playing simple, base defense with minimal blitzing. Not sure what Richmond will do defensively, but I think the JMU game taught them that stacking the box will result in big pass plays, and Chase still got 123 yards on the ground. They have enough speed on D that they probably won't stack the box. It's gonna come down to ball possession and turnovers. Griz have been golden in the turnover game on both sides of the ball recently, but both teams on defense are masters of the takeaway. It's gonna come down to the defensive schemes and what they do to average yards/play, possession and turnovers. I think that if UM's offense plays like it did last night without the drops, Richmond's defense will slow them down but not stop them as much as they'd like. I think gap between Richmond's O and the Griz D is smaller than that between Richmond's D and the Griz O. But not by much. Very evenly matched, balanced teams here.

JMU DJ
December 13th, 2008, 08:00 PM

Out of spite for Richmond super fan who is the scourge of the earth with his cheerleaders megaphone, Griz get it done.

DTSpider
December 13th, 2008, 08:00 PM

Pulled groin muscle late in the second quarter.

DTSpider
December 13th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I'd like to hear what the JMU fans have to think. UM beat JMU with JMU turning it over 4 times and playing without Landers. JMU beat UR with JMU having zero turnovers and had to come from behind.

UM has a huge line and it'll be tough to contain their running game. JMU appeared to move the ball well against UM.

Bettina90
December 13th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Yeah no kidding. Griz did what Richmond couldn't.

Eh, I dunno. At this point Richmond played JMU two months ago and actually had to face Landers all game. Tough to compare. Yes, Richmond at home, Griz on the road. I expect a close game. Howard better have missed his last FG of the year.

gbhmt
December 13th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Eh, I dunno. At this point Richmond played JMU two months ago and actually had to face Landers all game. Tough to compare. Yes, Richmond at home, Griz on the road. I expect a close game. Howard better have missed his last FG of the year.

I'm gonna be scared if it comes down to a field goal for us.

ur2k
December 13th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Out of spite for Richmond super fan who is the scourge of the earth with his cheerleaders megaphone, Griz get it done.

Hey, he's a great fan and a player's dad. Too bad you won't be in Chatty next week. xsmiley_wix

Grayson pulled up limp with a groin or hammy injury and didn't come back. Hopefully he'll be back by next week.

Griz fans - you guys looked great on Friday night. I hope this game is a battle. 2 great teams for the prize. We'll see you in Chatty.

JMU DJ
December 13th, 2008, 08:09 PM
I'd like to hear what the JMU fans have to think. UM beat JMU with JMU turning it over 4 times and playing without Landers. JMU beat UR with JMU having zero turnovers and had to come from behind.

UM has a huge line and it'll be tough to contain their running game. JMU appeared to move the ball well against UM.

It's going to be a tough, good match if both teams show up with their "A" game. I don't know if Montana having to make two cross country trips in one week will affect them, but it sure didn't on Friday night. As the saying goes, "Any Given Friday."

EWashEagle
December 13th, 2008, 08:11 PM
EWU for Montana, Go Griz!!

JMU DJ
December 13th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Hey, he's a great fan and a player's dad. Too bad you won't be in Chatty next week. xsmiley_wix

Who said I won't be in Chatty, I only live 3 1/2 hours away xnodx

Current player? I remember seeing this guy at the games a long time ago. He knows how to push the opposing teams fans buttons... especially JMU fans... not denying he is a great fan, it's just if I'm within three sections of him he gets on my nerves (Sorry some our fans don't handle the situation properly, I try to enjoy the game if his megaphone isn't pointed in my direction).

NDSUFREAK
December 13th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Man maroon looks good on you freak.

dont get too used to it ;)

Eight Legger
December 13th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Only got to watch parts of the game last night, but it looked like turnovers really were the difference, and yet JMU still had a chance to score a tying TD at the end of the game with a backup QB. Montana's offense seemed to have a lot of things working. Will be interesting to see how we try to contain them. I hope we do a better job than we did today...seemed like UNI should have scored a lot more than 20 points on us. They mixed it up very well and we didn't tackle well at all.

Assuming we can run the ball a little better than today and can create a turnover or two, I like our odds. But I think this could be another nailbiter. After today's game, I'm not sure I can take that!

ViennaSpider
December 13th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Pulled groin muscle late in the second quarter.

I thought, maybe, he'd gotten his foot hung up in an Astroturf seam. Any real chance of recovery in six days?

ur2k
December 13th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Who said I won't be in Chatty, I only live 3 1/2 hours away xnodx

Current player? I remember seeing this guy at the games a long time ago. He knows how to push the opposing teams fans buttons... especially JMU fans... not denying he is a great fan, it's just if I'm within three sections of him he gets on my nerves (Sorry some our fans don't handle the situation properly, I try to enjoy the game if his megaphone isn't pointed in my direction).

xlolx Come on up, we'll be there. I'll buy you a beer - look for the RV.

That person you are referring to has been a dad to multiple Spiders so therefore the number of years you refer to. But he's a great fan - no different than your fans throwing streamers all over the place. It annoys some but others love it

JMU DJ
December 13th, 2008, 09:18 PM
But he's a great fan - no different than your fans throwing streamers all over the place. It annoys some but others love it

Touche

catamount man
December 13th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Head says Griz. Heart doesn't care, but good luck to both. REPRESENT!!!

UMStudent
December 13th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Here take a look at this matchup. I'm projecting a big game from Reynolds.

O-line

RT-Brent Russum 66/SR/6'4"/295/Lewiston, ID (Transfer from Arizona State University)

RG-Terran Hillesland 77/JR/6'7"/323/Sidney, MT

C-J.D. Quinn 69/SR/6'4"/302/Garland, TX (Transfer from the University of Oklahoma)

LG-Collin Dow 79/SR/6'5"/300/BIllings, MT

LT-Levi Horn 72/JR/6'7"/305/Spokane, WA (Transfer from the University of Oregon)

T,G-Chris Dyk 75/JR/6'8"/295/1 year starter-Dillon, MT (He's a relief that has been seeing a lot of playing time this year)

Richmonds D-Line

DE 2 Lawrence Sidbury, Jr. Sr. 6-4 265

NG 98 Parker Miles Jr. 6-3 266

DT 55 Martin Parker So. 6-3 287

DE 8 Sherman Logan Sr. 6-3 241

Bettina90
December 13th, 2008, 09:35 PM
If for no other reason, I would love to see Richmond win this game so they could declare themselves Champions and "No Transfer U". F Failures at other levels.

*They have very few transfers, I think the punter may be or something.

SeattleGriz
December 13th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Of course I had to go with the Griz. Especially since they seem to be strong on offense, defense and special teams.

Bettina90
December 13th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Also, you will find when you watch football for a few more years, that that size disparity is not all that uncommon on the O-line vs. D-line. Sidbury and Parker are pretty much prototypical for their positions, Logan and Miles perhaps just a smidge light.

And how does Montana's D-line go vs. Richmond's O?

BCS Sucks
December 13th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Here take a look at this matchup. I'm projecting a big game from Reynolds.

O-line

RT-Brent Russum 66/SR/6'4"/295/Lewiston, ID (Transfer from Arizona State University)

RG-Terran Hillesland 77/JR/6'7"/323/Sidney, MT

C-J.D. Quinn 69/SR/6'4"/302/Garland, TX (Transfer from the University of Oklahoma)

LG-Collin Dow 79/SR/6'5"/300/BIllings, MT

LT-Levi Horn 72/JR/6'7"/305/Spokane, WA (Transfer from the University of Oregon)

T,G-Chris Dyk 75/JR/6'8"/295/1 year starter-Dillon, MT (He's a relief that has been seeing a lot of playing time this year)

Richmonds D-Line

DE 2 Lawrence Sidbury, Jr. Sr. 6-4 265

NG 98 Parker Miles Jr. 6-3 266

DT 55 Martin Parker So. 6-3 287

DE 8 Sherman Logan Sr. 6-3 241

i cant wait to see JD Quinn take on richmond's Nose guard

Eaglesrus
December 13th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Vote and discuss.

And who do the SoCon fans go for? Got nothing against either one of you and good luck to both, but from what I saw the last two days I'm thinking the Griz take this one.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 13th, 2008, 10:03 PM
UNI's oline might have been bigger than Montana as crazy as that seems. I think Richmond's Dline matches up pretty well with the Griz monsters.

BCS Sucks
December 13th, 2008, 10:12 PM
UNI's oline might have been bigger than Montana as crazy as that seems. I think Richmond's Dline matches up pretty well with the Griz monsters.

They might be i dont know but i saw both games and Montana's oline is more physical

UMStudent
December 13th, 2008, 10:13 PM

UNI had some monsters but our O-line is fast, like impressivly fast for their size, they block everyone out there especially LB's. Some of us love watching them at first cause they destroy people.

spdram
December 13th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Once again the underdog, I can't wait -- will be there to cheer on my Spiders!

Keeper
December 13th, 2008, 10:36 PM
I think a lot depends on weather in Nooga.
If the turf is okay, Richmond's quickness should prevail.
That was decisive in the game winning semifinal drive.

Ball protection will be huge also. Griz gave up lots of
yardage to JMU even without Landers, were blessed with
lotta turnovers.

I see Spiders in a squeaker.

wkuhillhound
December 13th, 2008, 10:39 PM
2002. Last time a champ came from outside the SoCon or CAA (A10). Richmond will win. Even though it is the first trip for the Spider program to the NC.

2001 Montana
2002 Western Kentucky

If Montana wins then it would STILL be only two teams outside the CAA and SoCon that has won the national championship. xwhistlex

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 13th, 2008, 10:41 PM
2001 Montana
2002 Western Kentucky

If Montana wins then it would be only two teams outside the CAA and SoCon that has won the national championship. xwhistlex

That's actually pretty sad when you think about it. The parity in FCS is about as bad as the NBA. Atleast there's some different teams in FCS if not conferences. Ohh where have you gone Youngstown State?

Bettina90
December 13th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Weight loss goals:
40 lbs lost by 01/01/2009 Achieved 12/03/08
Get to 10% by 01/01/2009
Under 400 lbs by 01/01/2009
50 lbs lost by 01/08/2009
250 lbs lost by 01/01/2011

Whoa, good luck with that. Seriously. And I thought my 225 was bad.

Proud Griz Man
December 13th, 2008, 11:28 PM
I thought I heard somewhere that Montana would only be the 5th or 6th best team in the CAA. Can't really see how they can compete. xcoolx ;) xeyebrowx xreadx

Griz will be 6 point underdogs, and Bruce Dowd, David Coulson, and ESPN2 will project Richmond as the winner. Take it to the Bank.

JmuSkinsfan
December 13th, 2008, 11:42 PM
As much as I don't want Richmond to win (I would like to remain the only school in Va with a National Title)...I gotta go with them in this one. Having seen both teams play in person against JMU, I think UR wins this one because of their defense. Montana is a great team and are hard hitters on defense, but if UR can manage to keep the turnovers to a minimum I see this one ending rather uninteresting.

UR: 38
Montana: 27

Please prove me wrong again Montana. Before you go off b!tchin about sour grapes, please note, I WANT Montana to win. I just think UR is the superior team this year. It's their year.

JmuSkinsfan
December 13th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Weight loss goals:
40 lbs lost by 01/01/2009 Achieved 12/03/08
Get to 10% by 01/01/2009
Under 400 lbs by 01/01/2009
50 lbs lost by 01/08/2009
250 lbs lost by 01/01/2011

Whoa, good luck with that. Seriously. And I thought my 225 was bad.

Mighty impressive. Good luck with that hillhound. Congratulations on hitting the first milestone. That has got to be the hardest one to reach, so, while it won't be very easy, it certainly looks like you got it in you to get it done!xbowx

Green Laser
December 13th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Great game Montana! Now go smash those Spiders and bring the National Championship home!

Go Griz!

Go Big Sky!

blitz4
December 13th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Montana wipes that A** 28-14.

Eight Legger
December 13th, 2008, 11:55 PM
If Montana wins then it would STILL be only two teams outside the CAA and SoCon that has won the national championship. xwhistlex

This would be the case if we win too:D

MTGrizzFan
December 14th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Montana wins! Can't stop us now!

mlbowl
December 14th, 2008, 01:17 AM
GO GRIZ

Go Griz, indeed!!!

mlbowl
December 14th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Fat, slow, white boys....coming to a stadium near you!...opening friday...rated G (for Griz)

Grizalltheway
December 14th, 2008, 01:22 AM
As much as I don't want Richmond to win (I would like to remain the only school in Va with a National Title)...I gotta go with them in this one. Having seen both teams play in person against JMU, I think UR wins this one because of their defense. Montana is a great team and are hard hitters on defense, but if UR can manage to keep the turnovers to a minimum I see this one ending rather uninteresting.

Please prove me wrong again Montana. Before you go off b!tchin about sour grapes, please note, I WANT Montana to win. I just think UR is the superior team this year. It's their year.

Then why did they need a last minute drive to beat the winner of the 5th ranked conference? xeyebrowx

mlbowl
December 14th, 2008, 01:33 AM

No...i totally follow your logicxnodx They lost to you ...and we BEAT you...they must be SUPERIOR....I get it!

MacThor
December 14th, 2008, 06:52 AM
No...i totally follow your logicxnodx They lost to you ...and we BEAT you...they must be SUPERIOR....I get it!

Here's his logic.

Vs. Richmond, Landers fumbled twice. JMU recovered both. They scored on both drives (one was the game-tying drive with :59 left)....I believe 11 but maybe 15 points, and won by 7.

Vs. Montana, JMU TO'd 4 times and Montana scored 14 points (and the other two were in the red zone, preventing JMU points. Montana won by 8.

Turnovers are key, and both UR and UM "have the religion."

ngineer
December 14th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Since Clawson put this team together, and with his Lehigh connection, I'm sort of rooting for Richmond. However, based upon current play, I am picking Montana. One less day to heal up and prepare. While Richmond has the tools to win, and will not be surprised if the pull it off, I sense Montana to be in better position and be more effective. Good Luck to both teams for a great game.xthumbsupx

SactoHornetFan
December 14th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Montana. Got to keep it within the Big Sky Conference.

UM 31
UR 21

buckp
December 14th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Head says Griz. Heart doesn't care, but good luck to both. REPRESENT!!!

Heart says GRIZ....mind says, "Don't let those daymn SPYDERS back in the game!!!!" xthumbsupx

NovaHater
December 14th, 2008, 09:59 AM
I don't think any Griz fan is over-confident going up against a fine, physical team like Richmond has. I have to admit that I was over-confident in '04, and expected the Griz to win. Not this time. I'm optimistic, and think the Griz have an excellent chance. But Richmond has beaten App. State and No. Iowa on the road, so they're for real and deserve to be in the title tilt.

Sounds like you've got at least one

Griz are clicking. They win fairly easily.

80 Griz
December 14th, 2008, 10:01 AM
I dont think bobby hauck will let what happen in 2004 happen again so

Griz 24
Rich 17

BCS Sucks
December 14th, 2008, 10:07 AM
I think bobby hauck wont let what happen in 2004 happen again but it will still be a close game

Griz 21
Rich 17

UNIFanSince1983
December 14th, 2008, 10:31 AM
I picked the Griz for purely selfish reasons as I want them to win and have money in a pool on them.

I, however, think this could be a pretty good match up for Richmond. I know it was hard to tell as JMU had a great offense, but Montana's D didn't look like they will be able to shut down Josh Vaughan as well as our defense did. The strength of Richmond's D appears to be the rushing D, but we were able to get 146 yards against them. Eric Ward will hurt you as he picks good spots to take it himself. I think Montana's big line will be able to give Reynolds some good holes to run through. It will come down to which team doesn't turn the ball over or whose coaches don't become too conservative. I think this will be a close hard fought game between two great teams.

Griz 35
Spiders 31

DX Man
December 14th, 2008, 11:53 AM
I picked RICHMOND just to have some new "BLOOD" on the championship list.

art vandelay
December 14th, 2008, 11:58 AM
if I was Richmond I would be worried. The past five years the team in UNH's bracket to get to the NC has lost. Three of those years it was the team that beat UNH four of them it was the team to win in the second round of the bracket. I sure hope it changes and Richmond can win, but I will be happy for Montana if the do win.

Bettina90
December 14th, 2008, 11:59 AM
I've hit the point where these two teams are just too far removed from common opponents to have any idea what will happen Friday night. I just hope for an entertaining game.

CrunchGriz
December 14th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Sounds like you've got at least one

This prediction, you will note, was by a poster named 'CanyonCat'.

This was not a Griz fan. It was the antithesis of a Griz fan--A Montana State Bobcat fan.

While we now appreciate the support, I'm sure CanyonCat would claw your eyes out for calling him/her (not sure of the gender) a 'Griz fan'.

Jus' sayin'....

DuckDuckGriz
December 14th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I pick Montana but by 2-3 points. xeekx

Richmond looks like the best team we've faced all year, and certainly the most balanced. I am just prayin for this one. Either way, to still be playing with this young team is good enough for me......But one more wouldn't hurt. :D

veinup
December 14th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Fat, slow, white boys....coming to a stadium near you!...opening friday...rated G (for Griz)
xlolx xlolx

Kabooom
December 14th, 2008, 01:49 PM
This game should be a toss-up...Each team is capable of beating the other. Both O-lines are beasts. Both have excellent air and running attacks. Two good defenses, and awesome special teams.

I would think the game outcome will get down to what team can make the fewest mistakes...and of course game-time preparation...From the Coaches box, to the players on the Field.

Which team will have the better handle on the intangables??

Grizaholic17
December 14th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Just like it was in the JMU game, turnovers will make the difference. Both teams have + turnover margins.

DuckDuckGriz
December 14th, 2008, 01:59 PM
One thing I am noticing is that both teams are incredibly focused, don't let much rattle them - and stay persistent with their foot on the figurative gas pedal.

If this one goes to the wire or into OT expect to lose years off your life.

GaSouthern
December 14th, 2008, 02:04 PM
crush em griz!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eaglegus2
December 14th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Eliminate the turnovers and that Team will be the Champion.

I will say "GO GRIZ".

Native
December 14th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I got Montana in this game ...That Grizz are really some GRIZZLY BEARS!!! these guys will wear you down literally ... Unless Richmond can use the pass effectively and efficiently FOLKs THIS COULD BE UGLY ...Montana is a well oiled machine!!! xnodx

The Griz have arguably the best pass D in the FCS!

Native
December 14th, 2008, 02:27 PM
xlolx xlolx

"Fat and slow?"

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Native
December 14th, 2008, 02:27 PM
I pick Montana but by 2-3 points. xeekx

Richmond looks like the best team we've faced all year, and certainly the most balanced. I am just prayin for this one. Either way, to still be playing with this young team is good enough for me......But one more wouldn't hurt. :D

Second best. The best one beat you 45-28! xnodx

DuckDuckGriz
December 14th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Second best. The best one beat you 45-28! xnodx

.....And lost 24-13.

But yes second best xlolx

Native
December 14th, 2008, 02:32 PM
.....And lost 24-13.

But yes second best xlolx

Yup! xbowx xbowx xbowx

Yup! xsmiley_wix

McNeese75
December 14th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Griz will be 6 point underdogs, and Bruce Dowd, David Coulson, and ESPN2 will project Richmond as the winner. Take it to the Bank.

xrolleyesx Yeah, but that's a good thing for the Grizxlolx

Native
December 14th, 2008, 02:34 PM
MONTANA!! As long as Bergquist does good like last game. He's an up-and-down QB.

..Mostly up! Cole does a good job playing in the system at UM, and adds an extra dimension with his feet, without making as many mistakes as other quarterbacks who both pass and run. xnodx

TribeNomad
December 14th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Gotta vote for the Spiders----Griz OL looked good against JMU, but UR has a much better defense.

Also, I always root for the organically based team, I do not like the transfer process, or teams that rely heavily on that process.

Get 'em Spiders.

Grizalltheway
December 14th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Gotta vote for the Spiders----Griz OL looked good against JMU, but UR has a much better defense.

Also, I always root for the organically based team, I do not like the transfer process, or teams that rely heavily on that process.

Get 'em Spiders.

Really? Last time I checked, Richmond gave up 38 points to JMU at home, whereas we only gave up 27 on the road, and forced 4 turnovers. xrulesx

You could argue that they have the edge defensively, but there's no way it's "much better".

TribeNomad
December 14th, 2008, 03:14 PM
The DL's and LB's are better (JMU had problems at LB this year).

Maroons
December 14th, 2008, 03:14 PM
I think the Spiders will continue to silence all of the doubters...

gomer
December 14th, 2008, 03:18 PM
if richmond holds on to the ball and doesnt turn it over they should win by 10+....

Tribe4SF
December 14th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Really? Last time I checked, Richmond gave up 38 points to JMU at home, whereas we only gave up 27 on the road, and forced 4 turnovers. xrulesx

You could argue that they have the edge defensively, but there's no way it's "much better".

I think Nomad was saying that UR's defense is much better than JMU's. Not sure I'd say "much" better, but "better" would probably be the consensus of those in the CAA.

Skjellyfetti
December 14th, 2008, 03:25 PM

I don't think comparing two games gives the whole picture. JMU gave up 32 to us and Richmond held us to 13 and forced 7 turnovers if you want to look at it like that.

Grizalltheway
December 14th, 2008, 03:28 PM
I think Nomad was saying that UR's defense is much better than JMU's. Not sure I'd say "much" better, but "better" would probably be the consensus of those in the CAA.

In that case, I definitely agree. Montana had a pretty easy time moving it against JMU, but I don't expect it to be that easy against Richmond. At the same time, I think we'll continue to play our "bend, don't break" D and do a decent job of keeping them out of the end zone when it matters.

WyomingGrizFan
December 14th, 2008, 03:40 PM
I know this doesn't mean anything but, for a common opponent comparison anyways, for what it's worth. Da Griz defeated Southern Utah, 13 Sept, 46 - 10. And that was before the offense started clicking. Or so it seems nowadays. Southern Utah defeated Youngstown St., 04 Oct, 14 - 7. UNI defeated a 4 - 8 Youngstown St. team 21 - 20. (36 + 7 - 1 = 42). Richmond has to come from a 7 - 20 deficit in the last eleven or so minutes to defeat UNI, granted, at a very difficult place to win at, but this is the Playoffs, 21 - 20. Does this mean that UM is favored by 41?(42 - 1 = 41). No, certainly not. But it does seem rather interesting.

Shellin
December 14th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Transitive scores mean nothing in football. I am in agreement with DuckDuckGriz on this one, I think Montana wins, but it is going to be close and it is going to be a slugfest. Richmond looks like they have a very good and very fast defense that should match up well with our offense that is just peaking right now. On the other side of the ball the Griz have played great on defense since losing to Weber in the regular season and the bend/don't break defense seems to be working. I have seen a couple Richmond games this year (including the UNI game) and their offense looks to be quite solid, albeit a little more vanilla and less explosive than the last two teams we have played. The team that wins the turnover battle will win this game.

UNIFanSince1983
December 14th, 2008, 04:22 PM
And actually you are skewing those stats since UNI played Southern Utah and beat them by 10. You just wanted to make it look worse, but obviously you didn't do a very good job of research.

So if you were trying to use transitivity. It would be 36-10-1 which by my very basic math is 25. But once again that doesn't work. So you go ahead and think the Griz will beat them because you stretch some ridiculous common opponent thing.

Stubbins
December 14th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Griz - 35
CAA Again - 17

Kabooom
December 14th, 2008, 04:33 PM
FCS Championship Game Prediction

Have no idea what the score will be, but my gut feeling is..

LAST team to score, WINS this one!

Syntax Error
December 14th, 2008, 04:43 PM
too close to call xtwocentsx

Native
December 14th, 2008, 04:47 PM
too close to call xtwocentsx

Whoa! What a scary spider-bear avatar! xlolx xlolx xlolx

Native
December 14th, 2008, 04:56 PM

I can't quite bring myself to say I am a Griz "fan," but I admire and respect the UM football program and I think Montana has the best chance of winning the national championship! xnodx

Syntax Error
December 14th, 2008, 05:00 PM
...I think Montana has the best chance of winning the national championship!Either them or Richmond! xlolx

DuckDuckGriz
December 14th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Either them or Richmond! xlolx

That's a very clever avatar.

You going to the Griz Pep Rally?

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 14th, 2008, 05:08 PM
That's a very clever avatar.

You going to the Griz Pep Rally?

I'd be surprised, I always got the feeling SE didn't like the Griz much.

DuckDuckGriz
December 14th, 2008, 05:09 PM
I'd be surprised, I always got the feeling SE didn't like the Griz much.

He's been known to sneak in there from time to time and clap to Up With Montana ..........xcoolx

Native
December 14th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I think the Spiders will continue to silence all of the doubters...

The 21-20 come-from-behind win over UNI on the road was certainly impressive, but not enough to silence any doubters! xrolleyesx

Syntax Error
December 14th, 2008, 05:18 PM
That's a very clever avatar. You going to the Griz Pep Rally?You bet. xnodx Will I see you there again? The last two times were great fun (2001-2004). xthumbsupx

DuckDuckGriz
December 14th, 2008, 05:26 PM
You bet. xnodx Will I see you there again? The last two times were great fun (2001-2004). xthumbsupx

To quote pops:
The answer is money. What was the question?
xlolx

Syntax Error
December 14th, 2008, 06:01 PM
To quote pops:
The answer is money. What was the question?
xlolxTell him it is not a bailout, it is a loan! xthumbsupx

MarkCCU
December 14th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Griz will win...and then Alexale will probably crap her pants and go off on all of us saying they were a sleeper team all year long.

placidlakegriz
December 14th, 2008, 06:43 PM
I'm rooting for the multi cultural team.

Which one is that??

appstate38
December 14th, 2008, 07:11 PM
I picked the Griz to win a physical smash mouth kind of game. I don't think there will be alot of turnovers because both have taken good care of the ball in the playoffs. However I think it will be close and possibly a lower scoring game simply because both teams seem to like long time consuming drives. If Montana lets Richmond hang around like UNI then they could find a way to win and steal it.

Bettina90
December 14th, 2008, 07:29 PM
I just have no feel for how the Griz OL matches up vs. Richmond Dline. BHCE in the other thread mentioned that the UNI Oline was the best we had seen all year. I agree with that, but part of that was the play-calling by UNI that got the ball out of the pocket quickly, even on pass plays. Very few traditional QB drops so Richmond's DEs were having to guess all day. Physically, Montana's OLine looks similar to UNI, question is whether the play-calling will keep Sidbury and Logan guessing.

CrunchGriz
December 14th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I picked the Griz to win a physical smash mouth kind of game. I don't think there will be alot of turnovers because both have taken good care of the ball in the playoffs. However I think it will be close and possibly a lower scoring game simply because both teams seem to like long time consuming drives. If Montana lets Richmond hang around like UNI then they could find a way to win and steal it.

I think this is an altogether fair assessment, and the way a lot of Montana fans who have seen Richmond play see it. Few of us think it will be easy, that's for sure.

GolfingGriz
December 14th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Reynolds got a little break during the JMU game. He will be ready to carry the rock around 35 times and carry the Griz to victory. Cole will have less than 20 passing attempts, but will be very efficient like usual. Go Griz!

VictorG
December 14th, 2008, 09:30 PM
The Griz will "out physical" Richmond and it will show at the end....Griz 35 - spiders 17.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 14th, 2008, 09:55 PM
I'll qualify this by saying:

1-I'm a Richmond homer.
2-I was only able to catch bits and pieces of the JMU/Montana game in the airport on Friday Night and that was all I've seen of Montana this year.

The game is going to be won on the Montana O/Richmond D side of the ball. Montana's O-line may just road grade us and push us around. That said, our defense has been most successful against teams that wanted to jam the ball up the middle this year. We have been exposed by the teams that could run the ball outside with speed. I didn't see the same type of speed from the Montana Running Back.

Montana really seemed to use the short passing game and the screen plays. We saw a good number of them against ASU two weeks ago and should be ready.

It should be a great game. We are looking forward to getting to NOOGA for the first time and playing one of the FLAGSHIP 1-AA programs for the Championship!

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 14th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Questions to the Montana fans...

1- Is your team mostly healthy? I saw a few players down against JMU.
2- Did your team make it back to Montana? We saw where there is a blizzard in Montana.

Bettina90
December 14th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Wow, gotta admit, I as well could not catch much of the JMU/Griz game due to a prior commitment. But looking at the stats was interesting. Montana only had 14 first downs and less than 300 yards total O? Against the JMU defense, which was undermanned? I will just say that based on some of these stats, the notion that Montana will "out physical" UR seems a little strange. Again, I did not watch the game, but it looks like JMU fumbled this game away.

Peems
December 14th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Wow, gotta admit, I as well could not catch much of the JMU/Griz game due to a prior commitment. But looking at the stats was interesting. Montana only had 14 first downs and less than 300 yards total O? Against the JMU defense, which was undermanned? I will just say that based on some of these stats, the notion that Montana will "out physical" UR seems a little strange. Again, I did not watch the game, but it looks like JMU fumbled this game away.

With the two fumbles the Griz forced on the kickoffs they had two very short touchdown drives.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 14th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Spidahs hold onto the ball and the NC resides in CAA Land. If not, consider the game a jump ball, .....

Bettina90
December 14th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Ah. Interesting. Turnovers will indeed by key, if the Griz won this game by that margin with Landers going down and two fumbled kickoffs, well, I am more optimisitic than I was 12 hours ago.

MacThor
December 14th, 2008, 10:39 PM
JMU didn't show they could stop Montana. They had a short field for two TD drives which lowers their yardage. Neither D was that impressive, really.

However, I'm still surprised by the number of projections for scores in the 30s. I keep repeating myself every week (but I'm right each time) as these high-scoring games are predicted. Only 2 teams have gotten over 20 on UR all year (the two FCS teams to beat them). Only one has held UR under 20 (FBS UVa).

For Montana to win this game I think their D needs to hold UR to 20-ish, and they need to get, say, 24......

CrunchGriz
December 14th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Ah. Interesting. Turnovers will indeed by key, if the Griz won this game by that margin with Landers going down and two fumbled kickoffs, well, I am more optimisitic than I was 12 hours ago.

There's lots about the JMU game that the stats don't tell you, so if you're depending on them to make a comparison, you're going to be surprised on Friday night.

First, as noted above, Montana forced three fumbles, one deep in their own end killing a JMU drive (by Mr. Landers himself), and two others on kickoff returns, deep in JMU territory. Thus, Montana had short fields to score on on two drives--and they took full advantage of them, and had little statistically to show for it (other than the touchdowns, that is).

Second, although JMU outgained UM by a fair margin, the short fields were the biggest cause, not any defense that JMU was playing. Other than turnovers, both teams had the same number of stops in the game--Montana stopped JMU on the goal line and on the last drive of the game, and JMU forced two punt attempts by the Griz. Both teams also forced the other to try one field goal. JMU was having just as much trouble stopping the Griz O as UM was having stopping JMU.

Third, you'd better take any argument that includes any form of "only had Landers for two quarters" with a huge grain of salt, as Dudzik ran JMU's' offense as well as Landers did, and each of them committed a turnover apiece. In other words, Montana was having trouble stopping either one of them, but it didn't matter because JMU couldn't stop UM either.

The statistics you should take your confidence from are your team's defensive and turnover stats, which are like mirror images of UM's, and which are both areas that UM had an advantage with over JMU--not any kind of conclusions you might draw from the UM-JMU game--as I see it, anyway.

Bettina90
December 14th, 2008, 10:50 PM
I am just thinking/hoping that UR's defense might do Ok vs. Grizville. And that UR might be able to run the ball vs. them.

Shellin
December 14th, 2008, 10:52 PM
For Montana to win this game I think their D needs to hold UR to 20-ish, and they need to get, say, 21......

Fixed xsmiley_wix

MacThor
December 14th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Fixed xsmiley_wix

:) My point being it's unlikely to keep UR under 20. And it's very unlikely to score > 30 on UR's D. Yes, UNI let some points get away yesterday but they also got 7 on a drive that started on UR's 11.

Perhaps it will be a barnburner like the JMU game but Montana's best shot is a game like Villanova's 26-20 win.

Grizaholic17
December 14th, 2008, 11:33 PM
:) My point being it's unlikely to keep UR under 20. And it's very unlikely to score > 30 on UR's D. Yes, UNI let some points get away yesterday but they also got 7 on a drive that started on UR's 11.

Perhaps it will be a barnburner like the JMU game but Montana's best shot is a game like Villanova's 26-20 win.

You can't always base how teams are going to do against eachother based off of season statistics, especially in the CG. Montana is a machine, and Richmond is a machine...they will battle it out until one dysfunctions in its game.

gbhmt
December 14th, 2008, 11:33 PM
THE EDGE

Offense

QB- Bergquist has a dead-on arm and will burn you on the scramble. Ward is quick and efficient. Both QBs had fabulous performances in the semis. No Edge

RB- Josh Vaughan is probably Richmond's biggest threat. He's been solid all season. But Chase Reynolds is playing his best football with eight straight 100+ yard games and is averaging 182 yards/game in the playoffs. He's impressed every ESPN announcer that hadn't heard of him before. And he showed us against JMU that he can be threatening catching the ball too. Edge UM

OL- Richmond's O-line is no pushover, but there isn't a better combination of speed and size in an O-line than the Griz. Except maybe JMU. Edge UM

WR/TE- Griz showed us against JMU that if you stack the box to stop the run, Bergquist has too many hot targets downfield for you to overlook. Griz get this one easy. Edge UM

Overall Offense: Both teams have balanced offenses that can spread the ball around. Richmond's offense showed impressive speed at UNI. Montana's simply got too many weapons and a superhuman offensive line to boot. Edge UM

Defense

DL- Both lines are small and very fast. Richmond's is a little fasterEdge Richmond

LB- Richmond has the quickest, most aware LB core in FCS. Montana's core isn't as quick but as JMU found out, they pack a punch, running a more conservative, less risky scheme. Richmond takes this one but it's close. Edge Richmond

CB- A couple weeks ago I'd say Richmond with Justin Rogers at CB, but the Griz CB's did not budge at JMU, and quite frankly, Griz corner Andrew Swink took the spotlight from Rogers this week with a picture-perfect, top 10 play worthy interception and the game winning pass breakup. Griz would win this one if their #1 CB Trumaine Johnson was back, but he's still on the sidelines. No Edge

Safety- No contest here. Griz win this one with the widest margin on the defensive side. A maimed Colt Anderson proved he's the best DB in the nation at JMU with 18 tackles. Edge UM

Overall Defense: This is tough. Richmond's got a better run D, and when it comes to actually shutting teams down, they've got an edge there. But Montana has been playing sound, base defense that's prevented big plays and, since the Weber game in October, has had the best scoring D in the nation. Montana also has the superior pass D. Can't call it either way. No Edge

Special Teams- Montana doesn't have to worry about not kicking to anyone this week, and they showed that their special teams players aren't there because they don't fit in anywhere else, and boy can they pack a punch/strip the ball. I don't know much about Richmond's special teams, but all I know is Mariani's the better returner, Wood's the better punter, and neither kicker is supposed to be very good. Sooo this one's uninformed but Edge UM

Intangibles- This one's a straight up draw. Griz have the advantage of experience and playing through a season with nothing but doubt from everyone but the players. Richmond is trying to put itself on the map as a top-tier FCS program with its first NC. No Edge

Overall pretty evenly matched, UM with a little more size and power and Richmond with a little more speed. It'll be a hell of a game, anyhow.

Syntax Error
December 15th, 2008, 12:13 AM
... Overall pretty evenly matched, UM with a little more size and power and Richmond with a little more speed. It'll be a hell of a game, anyhow."Evenly matched?" You say UM has a 6-2 advantage. I think the game is a tossup, not a 6-2 advantage. But I am not a Montana or Richmond homer, just a fan of FCS. xcoffeex

Grizaholic17
December 15th, 2008, 12:14 AM
"Evenly matched?" You say UM has a 6-2 advantage. I think the game is a tossup, not a 6-2 advantage. But I am not a Montana or Richmond homer, just a fan of FCS. xcoffeex

advantages don't play a part in playoff or championship games. It's all about turnovers and momentum.

Syntax Error
December 15th, 2008, 12:44 AM
Yes JMU had those turnovers. BUT...they couldn't stop the run, and Cole threw at will when they chose to.and UM couldn't force a JMU punt...... or stop the second string QB....... etc. The better teams on the field are playing for the NCAA Division I National Championship. Montana in white and Richmond in blue. Have mercy on the weak at heart because this is going to be a smashmouth game. xnodx xthumbsupx

DuckDuckGriz
December 15th, 2008, 12:45 AM
and UM couldn't force a JMU punt...... or stop the second string QB....... etc. The better teams on the field are playing for the NCAA Division I National Championship. Montana in white and Richmond in blue. Have mercy on the weak at heart because this is going to be a smashmouth game. xnodx xthumbsupx

Actually they could, Matthews said himself he didn't want to punt the entire game. There were a few 4th downs, including that goal-line stand. :D

Syntax Error
December 15th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Actually they could...JMU did not punt the entire game is the point.

Grizalltheway
December 15th, 2008, 01:03 AM
JMU did not punt the entire game is the point.

And what exactly is the point? xconfusedx We only punted once IIRC, and we spotted them 2 points on it.

Grizaholic17
December 15th, 2008, 01:03 AM
JMU did not punt the entire game is the point.

If I was a team that went for it on fourth all the time, I wouldn't punt either.

The Richmond offense is more conventional and I believe will play a smart game with logistics.

Syntax Error
December 15th, 2008, 01:09 AM
And what exactly is the point? xconfusedx We only punted once IIRC, and we spotted them 2 points on it.Geez, UM punted twice plus muffed a punt. Golly, the game is over. I said the point= "The better teams on the field are playing for the NCAA Division I National Championship. Montana in white and Richmond in blue. Have mercy on the weak at heart because this is going to be a smashmouth game."

gbhmt
December 15th, 2008, 07:53 AM
"Evenly matched?" You say UM has a 6-2 advantage. I think the game is a tossup, not a 6-2 advantage. But I am not a Montana or Richmond homer, just a fan of FCS. xcoffeex

Every category is evenly matched with one team having a SLIGHT edge over the other. To take what I wrote as saying the Griz are three times as good as Richmond is laughable at best. Can you interpret it in any more shallow of a fashion?

Oh and SE if you see something wrong with the edges I gave, and I'm such a homer and you're oh so objective, would you care to actually give some input? Address some categories that you don't agree with? Anything?

OL FU
December 15th, 2008, 08:05 AM
I was over 80% picking right during the Gohens top 25 pool but I thinkI have missed almost every playoff gamexrotatehx xsmhx So I abstainxnodx

AshevilleApp2
December 15th, 2008, 08:09 AM
I think it will be close,and Richmond has a very real chance, but Montana should prevail. I just hope that the two emotional road wins for Richmond the past two weeks doesn't set them up for a let down similar to what happened to Delaware last year.

19Duke97
December 15th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Should be an excellent game - Im really intrigued to watch the UM Oline vs UR D-line - that will be the key to the game in my opinion. Both QB's are solid, good running games, solid defense. In many ways, they are almost a mirror of one another. As always, turnovers will be a key to the game, and both teams are adept at forcing turnovers. Only clear advantage I see here is the coaching experience in championship games, which would go to the Griz.
This is a tossup, since I live in Richmond, I'll be a homer and choose them.

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 15th, 2008, 08:41 AM
First team to get their Run game going wins this one.

DirtyWater
December 15th, 2008, 08:43 AM
As Duke stated above...turnovers, turnovers, turnovers
Offense wins games and Defense wins championships! As a Montanan, I, of course will pull for the Griz!

Cole is calm and collective and has so many weapons on offense, and of course the monster front line! I watched Richmond Saturday and they seem to be well balanced...I will take the bend but not break Griz D vs their Offense! And from what I saw Saturday, I honestly don't know if UR can slow the Griz down...they've looked so good this playoffs...but that's why you have a playoff and a true championship game...

message boards are just for armchair QB's like us supporting our team...

appfan2008
December 15th, 2008, 08:53 AM
i cant believe i am saying it but go griz...

EdubAlum
December 15th, 2008, 09:57 AM
kind of weird for the first time in three years the poll isn't "App state will win by either a) 30 points or b) 50 points....

GO GRIZ (since my eagles couldn't be there.)

ChickenMan
December 15th, 2008, 10:21 AM
According to the poll (2-1 for UM) .. Richmond doesn't have much of a chance.. must be that 'west coast bias' again... ;)

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 15th, 2008, 10:27 AM
I was over 80% picking right during the Gohens top 25 pool but I thinkI have missed almost every playoff gamexrotatehx xsmhx So I abstainxnodx

Then pick UR please hehe :D

Bettina90
December 15th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Any predictions on the line? This is a tough one...

placidlakegriz
December 15th, 2008, 10:44 AM
According to the poll (2-1 for UM) .. Richmond doesn't have much of a chance.. must be that 'west coast bias' again... ;)

Or alot of Griz fans have been here voiting for their team.

ur2k
December 15th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Any predictions on the line? This is a tough one...

I'd venture UM by 3 or 4. I haven't seen anything yet, so that would be a guess. I like being the underdog, we perform better with a chip on our shoulder.

fencer24
December 15th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I'd venture UM by 3 or 4. I haven't seen anything yet, so that would be a guess. I like being the underdog, we perform better with a chip on our shoulder.

Richmond is the underdog? I thought we were, what with not being in the CAA and all that.

Let's have a new thread on who is the real underdog. Should be good for 5k posts.:D

But seriously, you don't get to play in the NC unless you are good and lucky. Just being good isn't enough, you have to have the luck to get the breaks your way. And you have to be good enough to make your luck.

AppAlum96
December 15th, 2008, 12:46 PM
I'm torn.

I want Richmond to win, so that it was the CHAMPS that knocked the apps out of the playoffs.

I want UM to win because I don't want to hear all the CAA blather.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 15th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I think it will be a pick 'em game or 1 point spread either way.

Stubbins
December 15th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I'm torn.

I want Richmond to win, so that it was the CHAMPS that knocked the apps out of the playoffs.

I want UNI to win because I don't want to hear all the CAA blather.

UNI has a great chance....xeekx

jaxstatealum
December 15th, 2008, 12:50 PM
I don't know how to vote xconfusedx everytime I vote against Richmond they win....

I just hope its a great game that does the FCS proud!!!!

AppAlum96
December 15th, 2008, 12:53 PM
UNI has a great chance....xeekx

I meant UM. :o

Syntax Error
December 15th, 2008, 01:01 PM
THE EDGE
Edge UM
Edge UM
Edge UM
Edge UM
Edge Richmond
Edge Richmond
Edge UM
Edge UM
To take what I wrote as saying the Griz are three times as good as Richmond is laughable at best. Can you interpret it in any more shallow of a fashion?See above in your analysis.
Oh and SE if you see something wrong with the edges I gave, and I'm such a homer...I never said you were a homer, I just said you gave the Griz a 6-2 count in "Edge" which is not "even" as I expect the game to be.

MacThor
December 15th, 2008, 01:17 PM
All the whining about "CAA blather" has grown tiresome. It's the Spiders in the Championship game -- not the whole CAA -- and they and their fans have for the most part not been chest-thumpers or trash-talkers. They have quietly and confidently gone about their business of knocking out the #2 and #3 seeds on the road. We saw a lot more "blather" out of ASU and UNI fans on these boards going into those games than we did from Spider fans.

London and the Spiders have been a class act. From what I have seen so have Hauck and the Griz. All this conference nonsense is just that.

If Talley, Mickey, JMU or Villanova players and fans want to make themselves feel better because they beat UR in the regular season I guess they can, but I don't see how that works. Same goes for Weber St. Those teams were given their shot in the playoffs and they didn't get to the finals. So as they watch they can think about why, if they deserved it, they didn't get it done.

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 15th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Gooooooooooooooooooo Montana!!!!!!

Grizalltheway
December 15th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Gooooooooooooooooooo Montana!!!!!!

Looks like you've settled on a team to root for.

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 15th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Looks like you've settled on a team to root for.

Thought about it. Came down the competition of recruiting and the fact that it would kill me if Richmond won it after beating them in regular season. I'll take the crap of the CAA banter for no CAA team winning it.

Posted in Smack thread earlier.

GtFllsGriz
December 15th, 2008, 01:56 PM
"I thought I heard somewhere that Montana would only be the 5th or 6th best team in the CAA. Can't really see how they can compete.

Griz will be 6 point underdogs, and Bruce Dowd, David Coulson, and ESPN2 will project Richmond as the winner. Take it to the Bank."

MacThor, your point is well taken also. I have seen nothing but respect from Richmond fans. HOWEVER, after reading all off-season long about the CAA and SoCon superiority I have a hard time believing the Griz are the favorite. It got to the point of insanity and disgust at the lack of respect for the Big Fluffy.

I expect a hard fought game and my vote was merely registering my desire!

Go Griz!

GannonFan
December 15th, 2008, 02:03 PM
It got to the point of insanity and disgust at the lack of respect for the Big Fluffy.

Again, it is very possible to both respect Montana, especially their better teams, while still disrespecting the rest of the "Big Fluffy", as you call it. xpeacex

URMite
December 15th, 2008, 02:27 PM
How are you at kickoff coverage? (I saw JMU, I mean in general) We seem to do much better starting at the 35 than at the 15, as would most teams, but seems to be a sticking point against good Ds (see 3rd qtr UNI).

Do you have any guys over 6'3'" that routinely make catches over 20 yds?

Just trying to see some of the matchups to look for.

Not to overlook the everpresent injuries, turnovers, and penalties that decide many close games.

I do think it is likely to be a low scoring game, as has been mentioned before we have only allowed >20 twice (including a FBS who didn't get that much) - Nova 2TD 4FG & JMU 4TD (2 in the final minute xoopsx ) 3FG

DirtyWater
December 15th, 2008, 02:38 PM
IMO I don't see a low scoring game! Watching the Richmond-UNI game I didn't see where either Defense was going to stop the Griz.. Could be the same for the Griz D...who knows.

The Griz have great receiver's and one helluva running back(Reynolds) not to mention Andrew Schmidt. I'm biased of course, but lately the Griz have been moving up and down the field with ease...especially against JMU! two drives were stopped by dropped passes.

And JMU moved the ball up and down on the Griz...so a low scoring game I just can't see it.

Griz 38 Spiders 24

GannonFan
December 15th, 2008, 02:46 PM
IMO I don't see a low scoring game! Watching the Richmond-UNI game I didn't see where either Defense was going to stop the Griz.. Could be the same for the Griz D...who knows.

The Griz have great receiver's and one helluva running back(Reynolds) not to mention Andrew Schmidt. I'm biased of course, but lately the Griz have been moving up and down the field with ease...especially against JMU! two drives were stopped by dropped passes.

And JMU moved the ball up and down on the Griz...so a low scoring game I just can't see it.

Griz 38 Spiders 24

Richmond does have a better defense than JMU does - granted, their offense isn't as prolific, but they are certainly better defensively.

DuckDuckGriz
December 15th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I think a low scoring game would be better for my cardiovascular system.

MacThor
December 15th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Some "history" questions....

Has a black head coach won a Division I football championship in the last 30 years (since Florida A&M won the first ever I-AA)?

Has a first-time head coach ever won a Division I football championship?

LacesOut
December 15th, 2008, 03:46 PM
C'mon Richmond!!!!!

You can do this!!!

Oh a wee bit off topic, but Richmonds uni's would be even sweeter with white helmets.

OLDMAIN80
December 15th, 2008, 03:56 PM
GO GRIZ!

T-Dogg
December 15th, 2008, 04:20 PM
GO GRIZZZZZZ....

mcveyrl
December 15th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Some "history" questions....

Has a black head coach won a Division I football championship in the last 30 years (since Florida A&M won the first ever I-AA)?

Has a first-time head coach ever won a Division I football championship?

Keeler was a first year when he won it.

gbhmt
December 15th, 2008, 05:56 PM
See above in your analysis.I never said you were a homer, I just said you gave the Griz a 6-2 count in "Edge" which is not "even" as I expect the game to be.

Maybe you should reread my post. I said even if a team has an edge it can still be close. Let's say I hypothetically rated each category out of ten.

1. Griz 10- Richmond 9.9
2. Griz 9-Richmond 8.9
3. Richmond 10-Griz 9.9
4. Richmond 9-Griz 8.9
5. Griz 10- Richmond 9.9
6. Griz 9-Richmond 8.9
7. Griz 10-Richmond 9.9
8. Griz 9- Richmond 8.9

Griz win 6-2. That means they're three times as good right??? WRONG. They would be .4 better than them. It's really not that difficult to understand. A team could have the edge on every single category and lose so much in one category that it compensates for the rest. All are not equal. I really don't want to have to break out a facepalm...

Mountain Panther
December 15th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Really thought the voting would be closer.

Montana traveling over 1000 miles two weeks in a row....that's tough.

gbhmt
December 15th, 2008, 06:01 PM
How are you at kickoff coverage? (I saw JMU, I mean in general) We seem to do much better starting at the 35 than at the 15, as would most teams, but seems to be a sticking point against good Ds (see 3rd qtr UNI).

Do you have any guys over 6'3'" that routinely make catches over 20 yds?

Just trying to see some of the matchups to look for.

Not to overlook the everpresent injuries, turnovers, and penalties that decide many close games.

I do think it is likely to be a low scoring game, as has been mentioned before we have only allowed >20 twice (including a FBS who didn't get that much) - Nova 2TD 4FG & JMU 4TD (2 in the final minute xoopsx ) 3FG

Our kickoff coverage is excellent. We don't have any guys over 6'3" but Mariani makes big plays all the time and Ferriter occasionally. Mariani runs a 4.4.

UNIFanSince1983
December 15th, 2008, 06:02 PM
I also thought it would be closer, but apparently people were more impressed with Montana winning at JMU than with Richmond's performance at UNI.

gbhmt
December 15th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Oh and for the record SE, I haven't voted in this poll nor the UM/JMU one as I don't know who to pick.

WyomingGrizFan
December 15th, 2008, 06:31 PM
And actually you are skewing those stats since UNI played Southern Utah and beat them by 10. You just wanted to make it look worse, but obviously you didn't do a very good job of research.

So if you were trying to use transitivity. It would be 36-10-1 which by my very basic math is 25. But once again that doesn't work. So you go ahead and think the Griz will beat them because you stretch some ridiculous common opponent thing.

Yeah, I knew about it. I just didn't see the point in belaboring the issue. Besides which, didn't I state that..."I know this doesn't mean anything..." and Does this mean that UM is favored by 41? No, certainly not. Geez. Such bitterness UNI;
Thanx for repeating what I said with your..."Transitive scores mean nothing in football." As if it doesn't equate to "I know this doesn't mean anything." Those were the significant statements therein fella's. Nice that you picked up on them so easily. I guess the numbers were too much to wade through and then the letters were too indeciperable. Point was, so what, only one game left to the season FCS style. All else is water under the bridge. May the best team win.

HENJOHN
December 15th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Nice matchup, but its the Year of the Spider & the CAA wins its 4th National Championship since 1998 (UMASS, UD, JMU as well):

A Very Good Montana Team------ 20
This Years Team of Destiny------ 24

UNIFanSince1983
December 15th, 2008, 07:58 PM
I understood you said it doesn't mean anything. I was just then wondering why you would have gone through all of that? You said it seemed rather interesting. Why would have not just used a simpler transitive if you were going to do that?

I mean for what it is worth I am not bitter about not being there. It sucks but I was not trying to diss you because we aren't playing. If you wade back through some posts you will see I picked your Griz to win the game.

I guess I just wondered why you would go through all that if you were basically saying it meant nothing. I mean no harm in fact good luck and have safe travels if you are headed to Chattanooga. xpeacex

Silenoz
December 15th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Nice matchup, but its the Year of the Spider & the CAA wins its 4th National Championship since 1998 (UMASS, UD, JMU as well):

A Very Good Montana Team------ 20
This Years Team of Destiny------ 24
Or its the year we tie your conference's combined total :p

HLNgriz
December 15th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Richmond has one less day and a ton of injuries from the "turf" at the Dome. Should be a great game. Richmond will be the underdog, like they have been in 9 games already this year, but if we can beat ASU and UNI on the road in consecutive weeks, why not Montana as well?

I thought that was green cement, my badxnodx

Green26
December 15th, 2008, 11:39 PM
This year's Montana team is much more of a team of destiny than Richmond.

Loss of 14 starters and 28 or so other players from last year's team, including 4 who went to the NFL. Only 3 returning starters on defense. Not one player listed as a cornerback on the spring ball roster is now on the team. Low expectations by most fans.

Improbable win over Cal Poly on the road in first game. Several close wins over not-strong opponents culminating in loss to Weber. Then, an immediate turnaround with 10 straight wins, including win over Weber and 3 straight playoff wins, including one over no. 1 seed JMU.

Gave up 44 sacks during season, but only 4 sacks in 3 playoff games.

Emergence of 8-man football running back, who was a receiver last year. In first 7 games, he averages 35.5 yards per game (as a starter). Then, he rattles off 8 100 yard game in a row: 137, 152, 160, 153, 115, 233, 185 and 123 yard. Sets UM TD scoring record.

Walk-on receiver from smaller town in Montana emerges as one of top receivers and returners in the nation. Has come a long way from his frosh year in high school, when he was 5'5" and weighed 95 pounds. Now runs a 4.37.

Team gets very banged up, but one back-up after another steps forward to play well and make big plays.

MacThor
December 16th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Wow I was looking around and found something interesting. Richmond's QB has a STRIKING resemblance to Ohio State's Terrelle Pryor:

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo234/BuckeyeFvr/RichQB.jpg

Wow. Except Ward is playing in the national championship game. :)

GOODY26
December 16th, 2008, 07:52 AM
xthumbsupx I going with Richmond defense on this one.

Richmond................28
Montana..................17

http://www.nsuspartans.com/images/2008/2/20/rp_primary_NSUAthltcscolor.jpg

LacesOut
December 16th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Keeler was a first year when he won it.

He was in his second year of coaching when UD won it, not first.

MacThor
December 16th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Question for Montana fans....

Do the Griz typically run a 1-back, 3-WR set? I was looking at your depth chart and you list 12 offensive positions. So I was wondering if the FB or the 3rd WR was the "extra."

bpcats
December 16th, 2008, 02:42 PM
The Griz typically run 1-back, 3WR set, however they have a ton of different packages that they throw at you. One thing for sure is that will come straight at you with their running game.

If Cole plays the way he did against JMU then the Griz win going away. If Cole struggles then it will be a dogfight. After watching both playoff games it just seemed that Montana and JMU were on another level compared to Richmond.

MacThor
December 16th, 2008, 03:03 PM
JMU's defense is on another level compared to Richmond. Just not a higher one.

woffordgrad94
December 16th, 2008, 05:26 PM
This feels like the Grizzlies' year for some reason. I can't really say why, but it does to me. Both teams are excellent and both have classy fans. I said earlier that since Richmond was private and small like Wofford that I'd be rooting for them, but my half-sister's a Griz fan, so on some level I feel compelled to root for Montana, though her little "How about those Griz- where's Wofford this year" phone call might steer me away from the Griz a bit! :p In reality, I have no real dog in the fight, and I am just hoping for a great game! And I really think we'll get one. xthumbsupx It could be pretty defensive-oriented...I'l go with 20-17 Montana.

GolfingGriz
December 16th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Question for Montana fans....

Do the Griz typically run a 1-back, 3-WR set? I was looking at your depth chart and you list 12 offensive positions. So I was wondering if the FB or the 3rd WR was the "extra."

This is what makes the Grizzly offense so good. They have alot of plays with 2 WR, 2 TE and Chase. They can either split Pfahler out and have three wide with Cole out of the shotgun. They can also go two tight with Cole under center. These two formations make it so difficult for the defense to get the right personel on the field because we can break the huddle and go to a power running formation or a passing formation.

gbhmt
December 16th, 2008, 05:48 PM
This is what makes the Grizzly offense so good. They have alot of plays with 2 WR, 2 TE and Chase. They can either split Pfahler out and have three wide with Cole out of the shotgun. They can also go two tight with Cole under center. These two formations make it so difficult for the defense to get the right personel on the field because we can break the huddle and go to a power running formation or a passing formation.

Yeah and they quite often shift formations once lined up at scrimmage. They run the I with Klaboe behind Cole as well.

GolfingGriz
December 16th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Yeah and they quite often shift formations once lined up at scrimmage. They run the I with Klaboe behind Cole as well.

Yeah, this year's offense has really shown the evolution of Phenecie. I will no longer complain about any of his calls, because his gameplan won us our first road playoff game ever. He has turned from a liability to an asset.

Peems
December 16th, 2008, 05:54 PM

I think Klaboe is still going to be out for this game, so look for Donaldson

GolfingGriz
December 16th, 2008, 06:04 PM
I think Klaboe is still going to be out for this game, so look for Donaldson

Who has been playing great. He will become just as good an H-back as Klaboe, if not better.

gbhmt
December 16th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Who has been playing great. He will become just as good an H-back as Klaboe, if not better.

Yeah he has been playing great. Klaboe was playing against JMU, so I think he's mostly over that injury.

Peems
December 16th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Yeah he has been playing great. Klaboe was playing against JMU, so I think he's mostly over that injury.

Klaboe didn't play that much, Donaldson seemed to be in there most of the time.

Grizaholic17
December 16th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Klaboe didn't play that much, Donaldson seemed to be in there most of the time.

For a right too. Unfortunately Klaboe has really been slacking in terms of making the easy catches. I hope to see him in with more fire in this game. I heard Klaboe would in deed be playing. I guess different sources don't match up. Always a toss up. Game time decision I guess.

Ivytalk
December 16th, 2008, 09:34 PM
I picked the Griz, but Richmond seems to have that mojo working. Should be a great game!xthumbsupx

Griz Fan
December 17th, 2008, 12:36 AM
griz have been stopping everyone including JMU. the 27 pts the JMU put up was the most pts the griz have given up since game 5 with Weber. it can only be expected with the no 1 rated team at the time that they would put up some pts. richmond will be fun to watch with this griz defense. if lebsock and or fisher gets the green light to pursue the qb it could be an important factor since he is not as strong of a thrower under pressure. so if we read this and play to this weakness richmond will need to change their game plan to survive. i realize that richmond has a very strong and mobile defense as well but as in the JMU game our oline will need to dominate and i believe they will as they are playing their best ball now and they know it. griz by 14

Black and Gold Express
December 17th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Richmond. Montana needed a big turnover edge to win at JMU. Richmond hasn't shown a propensity for turning it over. Also this is two consecutive cross-country trips for the Griz, and a *really* short week to boot when you add in all the additional demands.

Neither team has players with any title game experience that I can tell, so that's a wash.

All in all, I think Richmond will win a low-scoring game that should be fun to watch. But if what I am hearing is true, a fair share of fans dressed as empty seats will attest to how Chatty saying that not having ASU or JMU there is "not a big deal" was a bunch of baloney.

DuckDuckGriz
December 17th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Richmond. Montana needed a big turnover edge to win at JMU. Richmond hasn't shown a propensity for turning it over. Also this is two consecutive cross-country trips for the Griz, and a *really* short week to boot when you add in all the additional demands.

Neither team has players with any title game experience that I can tell, so that's a wash.

All in all, I think Richmond will win a low-scoring game that should be fun to watch. But if what I am hearing is true, a fair share of fans dressed as empty seats will attest to how Chatty saying that not having ASU or JMU there is "not a big deal" was a bunch of baloney.

I really don't think the cross country travel thing means that much anymore. The Griz have been traveling long distances for their road games all season. It's only a matter of a few hours more on a flight then back to normal. Also they've had one more day to prepare than Richmond.

Montana has players that have been to Chatty, but maybe weren't in the game. Keep in mind the Griz were there in 2004. So that may be a difference in coaching preparedness, since one has experience and the other doesn't.

I think your prediction is fine - just pointing out some things that I don't see making that big of a difference.

DuckDuckGriz
December 17th, 2008, 12:40 PM

One more point -

In 2004 Montana brought almost just as many fans as JMU, so, depending on how many Richmond brings, not having JMU there really won't be a big deal. I would say the same for App but they have really packed in there the last few years.

The last two times I was in Chatty, the days before the games downtown Griz fans were EVERYWHERE - in fact in 2004 walking the streets and restaraunts and the aquarium I saw about 5 UM fans to every 1 JMU fan. Alot of people in Chatty get excited when Montana fans come since they stay for a few days and are great for business. Sticky Fingers even puts "Montana Red Beer" on special.

Oh great now I'm craving some Sticky Fingers.

srgrizizen
December 17th, 2008, 12:41 PM
All the whining about "CAA blather" has grown tiresome. It's the Spiders in the Championship game -- not the whole CAA -- and they and their fans have for the most part not been chest-thumpers or trash-talkers. They have quietly and confidently gone about their business of knocking out the #2 and #3 seeds on the road. We saw a lot more "blather" out of ASU and UNI fans on these boards going into those games than we did from Spider fans.

London and the Spiders have been a class act. From what I have seen so have Hauck and the Griz. All this conference nonsense is just that.

If Talley, Mickey, JMU or Villanova players and fans want to make themselves feel better because they beat UR in the regular season I guess they can, but I don't see how that works. Same goes for Weber St. Those teams were given their shot in the playoffs and they didn't get to the finals. So as they watch they can think about why, if they deserved it, they didn't get it done.

Great post, MacThor. The problem with the CAA chest thumping isn't that it's wrong, it's irrelevant. Yes, they are the strongest conference. That's why they get 5 teams in the playoffs. If Montana were in the CAA, they would probably lose more than 0-1 games/season, and probably not win the conference 11 straight years. But they would likely still make the playoffs every year. Anti-UM smack based on playoff performance is legit, based on conference affiliation is irrelevant drivel -- unless the NCAA decides to award a trophy to the best conference instead of the best team, which this year is either Richmond or Montana. We'll see.

Russell Trombone
December 17th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Yeah, this year's offense has really shown the evolution of Phenecie. I will no longer complain about any of his calls, because his gameplan won us our first road playoff game ever. He has turned from a liability to an asset.

I agree with you. Our OC is a knowledgeable man, but I have always felt that he called a lot of plays that didn't make sense. I look back at the 04 JMU game and the 06 UMass game that could have been won with a few different offensive strategies.

Last week I saw a beautiful pass to Reynolds for a touchdown. Phenecie never seemed to want to throw to Hilliard and wouldn't call a screen pass when it seemed appropriate. Whatever the change has been in the OC office, it seems to be working. I felt like we had more talent 4 years ago and did less with it.

SeattleGriz
December 17th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I agree with you. Our OC is a knowledgeable man, but I have always felt that he called a lot of plays that didn't make sense. I look back at the 04 JMU game and the 06 UMass game that could have been won with a few different offensive strategies.

Last week I saw a beautiful pass to Reynolds for a touchdown. Phenecie never seemed to want to throw to Hilliard and wouldn't call a screen pass when it seemed appropriate. Whatever the change has been in the OC office, it seems to be working. I felt like we had more talent 4 years ago and did less with it.

I sometimes wonder if our offensive system is too complex. I say that because, I as well thought Phenecie was calling a good amount of lame plays. But after seeing Cole and the O Line "mature" this year, it makes me wonder if the plays were good, but our offense couldn't get all the parts together like they are doing now.

mtgrizfankb
December 17th, 2008, 01:40 PM
I just see a few matchups falling in place for MT. im sure there are some for richmond im missing too. but griz best d is the straight run and the short lat. passes. Colt will have a ton of tackles. we do play that short screen stuff well most the time. but i think the run D for Richmond is really really really good. I think their pass D is suspect at times. when we pound the ball. Overall i think this comes down to the fourth Q. Montana wins with that O line dominating at the end of the game. just too big O line wise and griz win 24-21. Of course thats with montana not having more than 1 T.O. and Richmond having 1 prob.

elon77
December 17th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Go Spiders.

Tailbone
December 17th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Sorry, spiders.

35-17.
Griz eat bugs.

JohnStOnge
December 17th, 2008, 06:26 PM
It's a tossup in my opinion. I'm kind of bummed because I'd like for a team that never won it before to win but I don't want a CAA team to win it. Too bad UNI didn't make a play to get in so that I could have somebody I could really enthusiastically pull for.

On the other hand I guess I can see something positive about either outcome. If Montana wins then the CAA didn't and if Richmond wins then somebody who never won before gets the title.

JohnStOnge
December 17th, 2008, 06:31 PM
The Griz are gonna get stung.

Bitten. Fangs. Not stingers. See http://animals.howstuffworks.com/arachnids/spider7.htm .

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/spider-fang.gif

MR. CHICKEN
December 17th, 2008, 09:08 PM
PULLIN' FO' DUH SPIDERS..........HOWEVERAH.......MONTANA'S TRADITION....HUGE O-LINE......SOUND DEFENSE...(KEPT LANDERS & BACKUP MANAGEABLE)....WARD IS SIMILAR QB TO LANDERS....MAYBE BETTERAH PASSER....&...BETTERAH RECEIVERS....MONTANA FANS WILL GROSSLY OUTNUMBER RICHMONDS.......AH'M GUESSIN' DAT GRIZZWOLD LINE...WEARS OUT RICHMOND D......MID TA LATE 3rd Q...OR EARLY 4th......UNLESS........TURNOVERAHS...IN DUH RAIN......WHIFF HEAVY HITTER VAUGHN......CARRYIN' DUH PIGGY...........WARD TA GRAYSON & GRAY......SPIDER D GETS LOTTA REST..........CRYSTAL BALL.....SAYS....RICHMOND........xhypedx......BRAW K/OBAMA!

MightyMightyGriz
December 18th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Griz 37
Spiders 10

The Butte Montana Missle, Colt Anderson #19 will rock the world of the spiders.xeekx

According to my reading, this is the spiders first national championship playoff game, if so congrats for that.xrulesx

elcid96
December 18th, 2008, 11:44 AM
It is pretty clear that the CAA is not strong enough to produce a NC.

Griz 45
Spiders 10

SunCoastBlueHen
December 18th, 2008, 11:56 AM
My only prediction is that this game WILL NOT be a blowout. The FCS Champion, whichever team that is, wins by a touchdown or less. xpeacex

technocat
December 18th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Given the way that the griz have played the last 10 weeks, I just don't see anyone stopping them. They've beat four quality teams in a row, I thought rather convincingly. I don't believe that JMU lost because of the turnovers because they couldn't stop UM for most of the game either. The griz just slowed the game down and worked there advantage. Any way the griz win this one going away in the fourth.

dark pink fizz : 34
spiders : 21

MightyMightyGriz
December 18th, 2008, 12:52 PM
The Griz are gonna get stung.

Judging your knowledge, does that mean if the Griz win the spiders took an antler to the ribs?

placidlakegriz
December 19th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Montana
Grizzlies

Montana
Grizzlies

MONTANA
GRIZZLIES

SideLine Shooter
December 19th, 2008, 10:57 AM
I am thankful that tonight we will have a TRUE NATIONAL CHAMPION!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx