PDA

View Full Version : JMU and Montana sportsmanship

SeattleGriz
December 13th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Last night, in a drunken stupor, I rewatched the game like I always do. When I do this, I watch something other than the ball.

My point to all this? I saw more showings of mutual respect out on the field between these two teams than I have ever seen before. Each team would acknowledge the other teams good plays with slaps on the hip or back. There were other instances, but you get the point.

Thanks JMU for playing with class.

whitey
December 13th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I agree completely. The Griz showed a lot of class at the end of the game as well. I'm guessing your team gets together at midfield after each win for a post game prayer? The reason I ask is the Griz surrounded the giant Duke Dog logo at the center of our field after the game. This didn't sit well with a lot of our fans, many of which voiced their displeasure. (I personally didn't care).

So what does Montana do? The get up and move 25 yards down the field instead. A very classy move if you ask me. xthumbsupx

JmuSkinsfan
December 13th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Yeah I noticed that too. And the fact that the refs had their whistles swallowed most of the game indicated that it was relatively clean, too. Aside from a few late tackles carrying guys out of bounds (one called on JMU, on not called on Montana...which aren't "cheap" shots by any means), there really weren't any bad hits.

Also, I did notice that on a few plays JMU and Montana players were very good sports. One instance is when Kerby Long (fr) got tackled pretty hard, and I thought he would get up and be pissed, but instead he went over to the Montana defender and slapped him on the helmet. I saw that happen both ways, and that is certainly an indication for the love of the game and the respect shared by players on both teams.

Finally, I think the Montana players were pretty classy. It was a bit upsetting at the end of the game when they all came over and taunted the JMU student section. But, that is part of the atmosphere, and if we taunt them throughout the game, they have the right to jab back when it matters and they are up on the scoreboard with zeros on the clock. I was already sick to my stomach and that just twisted the knife a bit more that was already lodged in my stomach, but it was all in fun and I can't hold too many hard feelings for that. They won, and deserved to celebrate it however they wanted (within obvious respectable guidelines, which they did).

DuckDuckGriz
December 13th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I thought that was one of the least-penalized games i have seen. Other than the replays, it was a decent officiating job.

Reign of Terrier
December 13th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Yeah I noticed that too. And the fact that the refs had their whistles swallowed most of the game indicated that it was relatively clean, too. Aside from a few late tackles carrying guys out of bounds (one called on JMU, on not called on Montana...which aren't "cheap" shots by any means), there really weren't any bad hits.

Also, I did notice that on a few plays JMU and Montana players were very good sports. One instance is when Kerby Long (fr) got tackled pretty hard, and I thought he would get up and be pissed, but instead he went over to the Montana defender and slapped him on the helmet. I saw that happen both ways, and that is certainly an indication for the love of the game and the respect shared by players on both teams.

Finally, I think the Montana players were pretty classy. It was a bit upsetting at the end of the game when they all came over and taunted the JMU student section. But, that is part of the atmosphere, and if we taunt them throughout the game, they have the right to jab back when it matters and they are up on the scoreboard with zeros on the clock. I was already sick to my stomach and that just twisted the knife a bit more that was already lodged in my stomach, but it was all in fun and I can't hold too many hard feelings for that. They won, and deserved to celebrate it however they wanted (within obvious respectable guidelines, which they did).

Well it's going to happen if the student section is right behind the visiting team and every student section will probably try to taunt the players first so might of been payback.

JMU2004
December 13th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Well it's going to happen if the student section is right behind the visiting team and every student section will probably try to taunt the players first so might of been payback.

umm, he said that in his post.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 13th, 2008, 01:57 PM
The Griz going and having a prayer at midfield after the game is not a sign of disrespect as they do it at the home games as well. They usually try and surround the center emblem and not cover it as a sign of respect to the opponent. I'm glad they moved since it was taken as an offense to the home team but it is not meant like that.

whitey
December 13th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Just for the record I wasn't insinuating it was a sign of disrespect. I knew that it wasn't and I disagreed with the small contingent of JMU fans who were booing the Griz for doing it. I just thought it was a really really classy move on their part to actually move down the field. They didn't have to move but they did anyway. That was cool.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 13th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Just for the record I wasn't insinuating it was a sign of disrespect. I knew that it wasn't and I disagreed with the small contingent of JMU fans who were booing the Griz for doing it. I just thought it was a really really classy move on their part to actually move down the field. They didn't have to move but they did anyway. That was cool.

I got you Whitey, glad you took it in the spirit it was intended.

Grizaholic17
December 13th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Fun game to watch, and the fact that there were no fights or signs of violence between players made it an even better game to watch. You only had to worry about one thing...who wins. You didn't have to look for the extra curricular activity or penalties that can make a game sour.

Native
December 13th, 2008, 02:25 PM

Thanks for the props! I am proud of the Griz and the Big Sky! Congrats to both sets of fans and teams for the Montana-JMU game! xhurrayx

At the Weber-Montana game, our opposing team "adult" section on the 15-yard line was surrounded by other "adults," who were good sports all around. Our boosters and parents enjoyed the trip to Missoula and the atmosphere. xthumbsupx

Although there was some legitimate bad blood from last year, it also seemed to me from the stands that the players from both teams were pretty good sports after the game.

On the other hand, our WSU students - and some adults - sat in the end zone surrounded by UM students who were, in some cases, very abusive and perhaps drunk. For the most part, it takes two to tango. I am sure our students fanned the flames by over-reacting. I would tell them to buck up, but seeing an elderly lady abused by drunken students when you are outnumbered 40 to 1 is an inexcusable situation. Our students are still whining about it.

We have to do a better job of teaching all our students to be human beings.

For a start, it's a bad idea and very unsportsmanlike to put the student section behind the visiting team. I also recommend we separate the student sections from each other.

Just my two cents... xtwocentsx

rob_p469
December 13th, 2008, 02:40 PM

grizbeer
December 13th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Did any JMU players or coaches join in the prayer circle? I have seen players from both teams join together at WA Griz after games. I think the prayer circle was started by Craig Ochs when he was here, it seems to be pretty popular. Montana is not really known as a state for our religious fervor 9not a lot of fundamentalist here), so it is still a little strange to see, but if the players want to do it great for them.

grizbeer
December 13th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the props! I am proud of the Griz and the Big Sky! Congrats to both sets of fans and teams for the Montana-JMU game! xhurrayx

At the Weber-Montana game, our opposing team "adult" section on the 15-yard line was surrounded by other "adults," who were good sports all around. Our boosters and parents enjoyed the trip to Missoula and the atmosphere. xthumbsupx

Although there was some legitimate bad blood from last year, it also seemed to me from the stands that the players from both teams were pretty good sports after the game.

On the other hand, our WSU students - and some adults - sat in the end zone surrounded by UM students who were, in some cases, very abusive and perhaps drunk. For the most part, it takes two to tango. I am sure our students fanned the flames by over-reacting. I would tell them to buck up, but seeing an elderly lady abused by drunken students when you are outnumbered 40 to 1 is an inexcusable situation. Our students are still whining about it.

We have to do a better job of teaching all our students to be human beings.

For a start, it's a bad idea and very unsportsmanlike to put the student section behind the visiting team. I also recommend we separate the student sections from each other.

Just my two cents... xtwocentsx
I kind of think UM should have put the WSU band in the SEZ next to the UM band - it would have created a buffer between the students and the fans, and bands seem to have a brotherhood that allows for competition but not nastiness.

Native
December 13th, 2008, 02:55 PM
I kind of think UM should have put the WSU band in the SEZ next to the UM band - it would have created a buffer between the students and the fans, and bands seem to have a brotherhood that allows for competition but not nastiness.

Dueling bands! Great idea, like in the SWAC and other HBCUs. Sometimes the bands were better than the football! ...won't be that way between Weber and Montana for a few years, though!

Hey! I'm proud! I hope the Griz go all the way - because, of course, WEBER STATE is the only team to beat them so far this season! xnodx

Cleets
December 13th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Hey! I'm proud! I hope the Griz go all the way - because, of course, WEBER STATE is the only team to beat them so far this season! xnodx

Weber State is every bit as good a team as Montana xnodx if they were in the other bracket...
we might be looking at a very different final

xbowx

HLNgriz
December 13th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Did any JMU players or coaches join in the prayer circle? I have seen players from both teams join together at WA Griz after games. I think the prayer circle was started by Craig Ochs when he was here, it seems to be pretty popular. Montana is not really known as a state for our religious fervor 9not a lot of fundamentalist here), so it is still a little strange to see, but if the players want to do it great for them.

I think Craig did start the prayer circle and I have seen opposing players join in. Pretty cool in my book. Is Craig still on staff?

Peems
December 13th, 2008, 03:42 PM
I think Craig did start the prayer circle and I have seen opposing players join in. Pretty cool in my book. Is Craig still on staff?

No he's going to law school in Colorado.

FCS Go!
December 13th, 2008, 04:22 PM
...It was a bit upsetting at the end of the game when they all came over and taunted the JMU student section.. .

I'm not sure about the team taunting the student section. The Griz were singing the UM fight song to the Griz section, something they do every win, home or away. There were a bunch of students trying to exit the stadium past the visitors tunnel but stadium security had it blocked off.

Ronbo
December 13th, 2008, 05:16 PM
At the end of the game and I watched this on my DVR. The Griz players went over to the sidelines with helmets raised and sang the fight song to the Griz fans. Is this the so-called taunting?

JmuSkinsfan
December 13th, 2008, 05:42 PM
At the end of the game and I watched this on my DVR. The Griz players went over to the sidelines with helmets raised and sang the fight song to the Griz fans. Is this the so-called taunting?

No that definitely wasn't. I was referring to before that, and before the prayer, after the teams shook hands about half the team came over and taunted the students. But I didn't say it was disrespectful...just made my stomach hurt a bit more lol

DX Man
December 13th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Montana came into a tough environment and pulled off a win. JMU showed a lots of guts and class by coming back and having that never give up "attutude." You guys made the FCS look good.