PDA

View Full Version : Does Montana have an indoor practice facility? because......

appfan2008
December 13th, 2008, 11:03 AM
this is the coming weeks weather when they are supposed to be getting prepared for chatty...

Today: Snow and areas of blowing snow, mainly before 11am. Temperature falling to around 17 by 5pm. Wind chill values as low as zero. Breezy, with a east southeast wind between 18 and 24 mph, with gusts as high as 33 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Tonight: Snow showers likely and areas of blowing snow. Cloudy, with a low around -3. Wind chill values as low as -21. Breezy, with a east southeast wind between 22 and 26 mph, with gusts as high as 37 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

Sunday: Patchy blowing snow and a chance of snow showers. Cloudy and cold, with a steady temperature around -1. Wind chill values as low as -24. Breezy, with a east southeast wind between 20 and 24 mph, with gusts as high as 34 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

Sunday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around -12. Wind chill values as low as -31. East southeast wind between 15 and 17 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph.

Monday: Mostly cloudy and cold, with a high near 3. East southeast wind around 16 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph.

Monday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around -15.

Tuesday: Partly sunny and cold, with a high near 6.

Tuesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around -13.

Wednesday: Partly sunny, with a high near 15.

Wednesday Night: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 0.

Thursday: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 18.

Thursday Night: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 2.

Friday: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 18.

that is insane, especially tomorrow with a high of negative 1 and high winds

Wellington
December 13th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Well, they can always go to Moscow, ID, and practice in the dome there xthumbsupx

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 13th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Well, they can always go to Moscow, ID, and practice in the dome there xthumbsupx

I'd also say they could use ISU's dome thingy, but the frozen ground would be softer.

appfan2008
December 13th, 2008, 11:08 AM
that weather just sounds absolutely brutal and dangerous...you can not practice outside in that...

Ronbo
December 13th, 2008, 11:13 AM
They will practice on the SprinTurf all week. The stadium has snow clearing equipment and will clean the field before practices. They will just need to deal with the cold, there is no alternative.

appfan2008
December 13th, 2008, 11:14 AM
They will practice on the SprinTurf all week. The stadium has snow clearing equipment and will clean the field before practices. They will just need to deal with the cold, there is no alternative.

even tomorrow with a high below zero and a stiff breeze???

Grizalltheway
December 13th, 2008, 11:17 AM
He's got a point Ronbo. I know these guys are tough, but frostbite can turn Chuck Norris into a pansy.

Ronbo
December 13th, 2008, 11:19 AM
High tomorrow will be 2 and it never seems to get as cold as they forcast. There is a possibility they might practice indoors in gyms and do a lot of film prep and meetings tomorrow. Then Tue. and Wed. practice in the stadium. Hauck doesn't do any live hitting practice once the season starts anyway.

appfan2008
December 13th, 2008, 11:22 AM
High tomorrow will be 2 and it never seems to get as cold as they forcast. There is a possibility they might practice indoors in gyms and do a lot of film prep and meetings tomorrow. Then Tue. and Wed. practice in the stadium. Hauck doesn't do any live hitting practice once the season starts anyway.

with the money you guys have you ought to build an indoor facility... jerry moore has many times said that that was the best investment... asu has ever made...

MacThor
December 13th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Why go all the way back to Montana? If classes/exams are over, go straight to Chattanooga. Perhaps UTC has a facility they're not using. Or better yet, a certain Griz LB's father has some pull in Tennessee and some top-notch football facilities.

DuckDuckGriz
December 13th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Why go all the way back to Montana? If classes/exams are over, go straight to Chattanooga. Perhaps UTC has a facility they're not using. Or better yet, a certain Griz LB's father has some pull in Tennessee and some top-notch football facilities.

man has a point.

But I don't think their finals are over am I right UM guys?

HiHiYikas
December 13th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Perhaps?!...if this season is any indication, UTC hasn't properly 'used' their practice facilities for a long, long time.

xsmiley_wix

appfan2008
December 13th, 2008, 11:35 AM

big time good point... just go to nashville... i am sure a certain pro team could accomodate you...

Grizalltheway
December 13th, 2008, 11:36 AM
man has a point.

But I don't think their finals are over am I right UM guys?

As far as I know...they are.

cu@wgs
December 13th, 2008, 11:37 AM
With as many times as Jeff Fisher was on TV you'd think we might have an in for a practice facility.

RE/MAXGriz
December 13th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Finals ended last week, so no worries there. As for practice, it's going to be a challenge, but they really don't have any other option. Our guys are used to the cold, we'll just have to plan for it this week.

mainejeff
December 13th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Our guys are used to the cold, we'll just have to plan for it this week.

People from the South never quite understand that concept. xrolleyesx

mtgrizfankb
December 13th, 2008, 12:39 PM
WRONG.....finals for normal students ended this week.....However....CB...CR and a few others moved some bck to this week. therfore a non flight home was not an option. They are going to practice in the gym...up atleast one day they will hit the spriturf.

rancher griz
December 13th, 2008, 01:11 PM
this is the coming weeks weather when they are supposed to be getting prepared for chatty...

Today: Snow and areas of blowing snow, mainly before 11am. Temperature falling to around 17 by 5pm. Wind chill values as low as zero. Breezy, with a east southeast wind between 18 and 24 mph, with gusts as high as 33 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Tonight: Snow showers likely and areas of blowing snow. Cloudy, with a low around -3. Wind chill values as low as -21. Breezy, with a east southeast wind between 22 and 26 mph, with gusts as high as 37 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

Sunday: Patchy blowing snow and a chance of snow showers. Cloudy and cold, with a steady temperature around -1. Wind chill values as low as -24. Breezy, with a east southeast wind between 20 and 24 mph, with gusts as high as 34 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

Sunday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around -12. Wind chill values as low as -31. East southeast wind between 15 and 17 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph.

Monday: Mostly cloudy and cold, with a high near 3. East southeast wind around 16 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph.

Monday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around -15.

Tuesday: Partly sunny and cold, with a high near 6.

Tuesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around -13.

Wednesday: Partly sunny, with a high near 15.

Wednesday Night: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 0.

Thursday: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 18.

Thursday Night: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 2.

Friday: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 18.

that is insane, especially tomorrow with a high of negative 1 and high winds

Balmy...

trouthunter
December 13th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Balmy...

balmy, but it is a DRY COLD.

ASU
December 13th, 2008, 04:28 PM
I bet Jerry Moore at App State would welcome your guys in to use their indoor practice facilities.

McNeese75
December 13th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Awww, just come south and practice in the Hole for the week xnodx

griz&beer
December 13th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Can we come early and practice at the Rock?

T-Dog
December 13th, 2008, 04:41 PM

That isn't as far fetched as one would think. Boone is only 200 miles (4 to 4 1/2 hours) from Nooga.

BeauFoster
December 13th, 2008, 04:42 PM

No, because you will then expect a return trip! xlolx

mvemjsunpx
December 13th, 2008, 04:55 PM
with the money you guys have you ought to build an indoor facility... jerry moore has many times said that that was the best investment... asu has ever made...

I don't think it would really be worth the money to build one of those. Future stadium expansions are more worth it, IMO. I have no idea where an indoor practice facility would fit on the UM campus, anyway.

CopperCat
December 13th, 2008, 05:03 PM
For whatever reason, Missoula typically has a milder climate as far as Montana is concerned. I definitely remember reading about how/what UM is doing in spring drills when MSU is weathered out because the crap rolls in and stays there. If anybody in Montana needs the indoor facility, its probably MSU as of the moment, although I am talking about pre-season practice, not post season. But I'm sure some rich alumni is willing to put up the dough for the griz (cough cough Denny cough Washington)

Peems
December 13th, 2008, 05:07 PM
For whatever reason, Missoula typically has a milder climate as far as Montana is concerned. I definitely remember reading about how/what UM is doing in spring drills when MSU is weathered out because the crap rolls in and stays there. If anybody in Montana needs the indoor facility, its probably MSU as of the moment, although I am talking about pre-season practice, not post season. But I'm sure some rich alumni is willing to put up the dough for the griz (cough cough Denny cough Washington)

Maybe Cliff Edwards wants to help too!!! But in reality FTG is right, it's never too bad here in Missoula compared to the rest of the state. I mean it's December 13th and we just had our first snow, and it's actually not short weather anymore!

ursus arctos horribilis
December 13th, 2008, 05:16 PM
These are fairly normal temps and it has never affected game preparation before and I'm sure it won't now. The Griz players have played in cold weather their whole lives. They may be inside one day but the rest will be the normal outdoor routine. Heck we've had play off games where it was -10 to -20 before and I think we layed 70 on Troy State in that kind of weather.

grizbeer
December 13th, 2008, 06:31 PM
weather isn't so bad now. earlier today it was dropping 5 degrees per hour. Now it is only dropping 1 degree per hour, so it is getting a lot better. I doubt it will get down to -20 this week, and the wind has kind of let up, so with wind chill I'll bet we don't break -40 this week. Weather shouldn't be an issue.

JALMOND
December 13th, 2008, 07:34 PM

Regardless, the costs associated with putting a whole football team in a hotel, meals included, for a week are pretty astronomical, I would think. Probably a pretty hefty bundle for Montana taxpayers, some I'm sure are part of Bobcat Nation.

grizband
December 13th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Current Missoula temp at 8:00 pm: -2 degrees F (windchill -27F)

igo4uni
December 13th, 2008, 09:25 PM
weather isn't so bad now. earlier today it was dropping 5 degrees per hour. Now it is only dropping 1 degree per hour, so it is getting a lot better. I doubt it will get down to -20 this week, and the wind has kind of let up, so with wind chill I'll bet we don't break -40 this week. Weather shouldn't be an issue.

don't break -40 and weather shouldn't be an issue??? that's freaking cold!!

uofmman1122
December 13th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Maybe Cliff Edwards wants to help too!!! But in reality FTG is right, it's never too bad here in Missoula compared to the rest of the state. I mean it's December 13th and we just had our first snow, and it's actually not short weather anymore!Wait, Peems, you're back in Missoula?

You going to school again?

GOKATS
December 13th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Regardless, the costs associated with putting a whole football team in a hotel, meals included, for a week are pretty astronomical, I would think. Probably a pretty hefty bundle for Montana taxpayers, some I'm sure are part of Bobcat Nation.

Unfortunately for both schools (as well as the other schools in the university system) Montana taxpayers aren't saddled with such costs. Athletics are on the back burner as far as what state funds go to higher education in Montana.

UMStudent
December 13th, 2008, 09:57 PM
I heard a rumor that John Stockton put some money down for Montana to build one, and they were going to put it over the river side bowl or by the track. I'm not sure though if its true or not

Bearkats94
December 13th, 2008, 09:58 PM
I thought we had Global Warming?xconfusedx Hell the old timers would say the play in 100 below weather.:p

gbhmt
December 13th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Unfortunately for both schools (as well as the other schools in the university system) Montana taxpayers aren't saddled with such costs. Athletics are on the back burner as far as what state funds go to higher education in Montana.

Yeah this. The Griz athletic program is funded 70% privately. Not much help from the state.

GOKATS
December 13th, 2008, 10:15 PM
don't break -40 and weather shouldn't be an issue??? that's freaking cold!!

He's talking -40 wind chill. Anything below -10 on the thermometer is cold. The difference between -10 and -40 is negligible. If you're dressed for -10 you're not gonna freeze your nuts off at -40. The wind just makes it more miserable.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 13th, 2008, 10:23 PM
He's talking -40 wind chill. Anything below -10 on the thermometer is cold. The difference between -10 and -40 is negligible. If you're dressed for -10 you're not gonna freeze your nuts off at -40. The wind just makes it more miserable.

I wore a Griz sweatshirt and a fleece jacket over it today and it didn't seem that bad but the truck started a little tougher so it must be getting down there. Gonna have to break out the gloves it looks like.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 13th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Current Missoula temp at 8:00 pm: -2 degrees F (windchill -27F)

14 F here in Cheney, with -6 F with the windchill.

Bare xazzx cold!

Or should I say, BEAR xazzx cold? :p

GOKATS
December 13th, 2008, 10:50 PM
-10 now, but pretty calm. Had about a half foot of snow since last night (early morning was pretty much a zero visibility blizzard).

84Griz
December 14th, 2008, 09:59 AM
I think I read where the Griz were going to fly to Chattanooga on Tuesday so it won't be such a big deal.

bobbythekidd
December 14th, 2008, 10:06 AM
I think I read where the Griz were going to fly to Chattanooga on Tuesday so it won't be such a big deal.
It took you an entire year to finally post something?:p

Tod
December 14th, 2008, 10:21 AM
It took you an entire year to finally post something?:p

He joined, the Griz lost in the 1st round...had nothing to say. :p

84Griz
December 14th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Could not remember my password from alcohol induced memory loss after the Wofford game.xlolx xlolx

It just came back to me after I woke up on Saturday, again alcohol related.:)

ursus arctos horribilis
December 14th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Could not remember my password from alcohol induced memory loss after the Wofford game.xlolx xlolx

It just came back to me after I woke up on Saturday, again alcohol related.:)

Yup, he's one of us. What bobbythekidd was trying to say there is welcome to the board 84.

bobbythekidd
December 14th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Yup, he's one of us. What bobbythekidd was trying to say there is welcome to the board 84.
Correct UAH. Welcome to AGS 84!! BTW posting while intoxicated (PWI) is still allowed.

JALMOND
December 14th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Correct UAH. Welcome to AGS 84!! BTW posting while intoxicated (PWI) is still allowed.

Not only allowed but encouraged. Welcome 84Griz.

griz37
December 16th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Photo from the Griz practice on Monday, which was held outside.

http://www.missoulian.com/content/articles/2008/12/16/sports/sports01.jpg

montanafan
December 16th, 2008, 10:04 AM
That isn't as far fetched as one would think. Boone is only 200 miles (4 to 4 1/2 hours) from Nooga.

It takes you guys 4 to 4 1/2 hours to go that far? You guys need to get granny out from behind the wheel and hit the gas. That is 2 1/2 hours in Montana. xcoffeex

appfan2008
December 16th, 2008, 10:54 AM
It takes you guys 4 to 4 1/2 hours to go that far? You guys need to get granny out from behind the wheel and hit the gas. That is 2 1/2 hours in Montana. xcoffeex

mountain roads... two lane winding roads... not exactly interstate flat and straight like in montana

appfan2008
December 16th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Photo from the Griz practice on Monday, which was held outside.

http://www.missoulian.com/content/articles/2008/12/16/sports/sports01.jpg

wow that looks pretty darn cold...

MacThor
December 16th, 2008, 10:56 AM

I always wanted to drive in Montana back in the "no speed limit" days. I also love that a driver appealed a speeding ticket all the way to the state supreme court......and won!

grizbeer
December 16th, 2008, 11:01 AM
listened to the Bobby Hauck show last night, he was chuckling about getting the players together Sunday, telling them he expected good hard practices Monday and Tuesday - the younger players kept asking the older players if he was joking about practicing outside, the older players kept laughing at them.

Bobby said they had a good practice Monday, just a little slower paced due to the layers of clothing needed for the -25 with wind chill temps.

grizbeer
December 16th, 2008, 11:10 AM
mountain roads... two lane winding roads... not exactly interstate flat and straight like in montana
xconfusedx xconfusedx have you ever seen pictures of Western Montana? Believe it or not Montana (spanish or latin for mountainous) has some mountains, and is not all flat. Here are some web cams of the flat straight Montana Interstates:

near Butte:
http://rwis.mdt.mt.gov/ScanWeb/Wx/images/Vid-000267008-00-01-2008-12-16-16-35.jpg

North West of Missoula to Idaho
http://rwis.mdt.mt.gov/ScanWeb/Wx/images/Vid-000150000-00-01-2008-12-16-16-59.jpg

South of Missoula to Idaho
http://birice.vaisala.com/photos/02D0637D_06BCBC1E_cam1.jpg

Uncle Rico's Clan
December 16th, 2008, 11:55 AM

You have hills, not mountains.

CatMom07
December 16th, 2008, 01:23 PM
comparitive is almost comparible

Boone NC - elevation 3266 ft
Missoula MT - elevation 3209 ft

I think the mountains in the western US are a wee bit higher than the Appalachians.

"The Appalachian Mountain Range

The Appalachian Mountains are located in Eastern North America and run north/south from Quebec to Georgia. The topography of these mountains is different, and not many of them are nearly as tall as west-coast ranges. Much cultivation and urbanization has occurred in the Appalachians, but there are still many remote areas. The Appalachian Mountains are different from other ranges because most of their trees are deciduous, meaning that they change during seasons and lose their leaves annually."

mtgrizfankb
December 16th, 2008, 01:41 PM
You have hills, not mountains.

Montana has some of the most crazy roads in the nation. Wow whats this crap about hills not mountains.... talking to ppl from the east 90% who have mountains.have the HILLS you speak of

appfan2008
December 16th, 2008, 01:46 PM
xconfusedx xconfusedx have you ever seen pictures of Western Montana? Believe it or not Montana (spanish or latin for mountainous) has some mountains, and is not all flat. Here are some web cams of the flat straight Montana Interstates:

dude i have been to montana... dont the whole yellowstone thing(stayed on the montana side) did custers last stand... i am not debating whether or not you have mountains... obviously you do and obviously they are bigger than ours... i even did that bear tooth highway thing from yellowstone into montana i know your roads are rough...
one of your people made the comment that we need to learn how to drive if it takes 4 to 4.5 hours to go 200 miles... and i was simple giving him a reason why it does...

FCS Go!
December 16th, 2008, 01:48 PM
The roads and conditions around Boone suck when there is snow on the ground. Their snow is wet and heavy, unlike the norm in MT. Hills and roads that one could easily drive through in Montana are a real white-knuckle-PIA in the Smokies. On my first trip to Boone in the winter(98-99?) I got stuck in the snow and had to get pulled out of a ditch. Not too embarrassing until the locals ask where I'm from and I sheepishly tell them "Montana".

UMStudent
December 16th, 2008, 02:17 PM
comparitive is almost comparible

Boone NC - elevation 3266 ft
Missoula MT - elevation 3209 ft

I think the mountains in the western US are a wee bit higher than the Appalachians.

Missoula sits in one of the lower vallies in western Montana, at the bottom of the famous Glacier Lake Missoula (ounce the largest fresh water lake in the world). The average hieght for the Appalachain range is 3,000 ft, the tallest mountain is Mount Mitchell, NC which is 6,684 ft (which is the tallest mountain on the east coast). Montanas mountain ranges average from 9,000 to 10,000, with the tallest peak being Granit Peak at 12,694 ft, in the Beartooth Range which averages 11,000+ to 12,000+. Mount Sentinel the "hill" that sits next to Washington-Grizzly stadium is 5,040 ft.

So no offense intended at all, but a "wee" is a bit of an underestimate.

I Bleed Purple
December 16th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Missoula sits in one of the lower vallies in western Montana, at the bottom of the famous Glacier Lake Missoula (ounce the largest fresh water lake in the world). The average hieght for the Appalachain range is 3,000 ft, the tallest mountain is Mount Mitchell, NC which is 6,684 ft (which is the tallest mountain on the east coast). Montanas mountain ranges average from 9,000 to 10,000, with the tallest peak being Granit Peak at 12,694 ft, in the Beartooth Range which averages 11,000+ to 12,000+. Mount Sentinel the "hill" that sits next to Washington-Grizzly stadium is 5,040 ft.

So no offense intended at all, but a "wee" is a bit of an underestimate.

Damn. Flagstaff is taller than that hill. By a lot. Mt. Ogden's at 9570.

Grizalltheway
December 16th, 2008, 02:51 PM
For the love of GOD, don't turn this into another eastern mountains vs western mountains thread. One of those was too many. xsmhx

I Bleed Purple
December 16th, 2008, 02:53 PM
For the love of GOD, don't turn this into another eastern mountains vs western mountains thread. One of those was too many. xsmhx

How about western mountains vs. other western mountains? :D

UMStudent
December 16th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Damn. Flagstaff is taller than that hill. By a lot. Mt. Ogden's at 9570.

Oh yeah I know I've been there, Flagstaff is way up there .... I did really like that area too. I didn't know Mt. Ogden was that high xeekx. Does it sit in the Wasatch Range?

CatMom07
December 16th, 2008, 03:18 PM
a "wee bit" was a facetious statement and hey, I was just having fun.

I Bleed Purple
December 16th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Oh yeah I know I've been there, Flagstaff is way up there .... I did really like that area too. I didn't know Mt. Ogden was that high xeekx. Does it sit in the Wasatch Range?

If you've been to Stewart Stadium, you've seen Mt. Ogden. Next time you're at the stadium, look up.