PDA

View Full Version : Actual Attendance if it's Montana vs. UNI?

ASU Tailgaiteer
December 13th, 2008, 09:28 AM
What do you think the actual attendance will be if UNI holds serve today?

I think they brought about 5-6K for the 2005 game. If Montana matches that and they get 1-2K local, there will be a lot of empty seats in Chatty despite the official sellout.

I'd hate to see that after seeing the sellout crowd last night.

mlbowl
December 13th, 2008, 09:38 AM
WTF!....wow...you're a buzzkill!

Pantherpower
December 13th, 2008, 09:40 AM
What do you think the actual attendance will be if UNI holds serve today?

I think they brought about 5-6K for the 2005 game. If Montana matches that and they get 1-2K local, there will be a lot of empty seats in Chatty despite the official sellout.

I'd hate to see that after seeing the sellout crowd last night.

My recollection was closer to 8-9,000 UNI fans. Either way, the folks in Chattanooga had to be thrilled to see UM win after what happened to ASU last week. The worst possible scenario for them would've been a JMU-Richmond final. I would imagine they're pulling for a UNI victory as I think we'd travel well.

mlbowl
December 13th, 2008, 09:48 AM
I would imagine they're pulling for a UNI victory

I know I am!

Hansel
December 13th, 2008, 09:49 AM
there might be some app fans who show up expecting to see the mountaineers

DX Man
December 13th, 2008, 10:00 AM
I hope Montana and UNI or Richmond will challenge their fans to attend the Championship game in big numbers. A low turnout will only reinforce what a lot of people believe about the FCS. As much as I would be tempted to have "sour grapes" and wish for a low turnout since ASU won't be there, that would not be good for the FCS.xpeacex xthumbsupx

The Moody1
December 13th, 2008, 10:04 AM
My recollection was closer to 8-9,000 UNI fans. Either way, the folks in Chattanooga had to be thrilled to see UM win after what happened to ASU last week. The worst possible scenario for them would've been a JMU-Richmond final. I would imagine they're pulling for a UNI victory as I think we'd travel well.

UNI had maybe 5k in 2005. JMU would have probably brought around 8-10k had they made the final.

ASU Tailgaiteer
December 13th, 2008, 10:04 AM
WTF!....wow...you're a buzzkill!

Actually, no, I'm just curious how the teams will travel (especially with the economy and the fact that for Montana, it's probably a plane trip as opposed to a road trip.

I'd love to see the stadium full regardless, because it's good for FCS.

Watching the Tuesday night and Wednesday night FBS broadcasts has been interesting this year, because some of the stadiums have been 1/2 full at best.

State Line Liquors
December 13th, 2008, 10:07 AM

Your attendance for your first round home game was 8,477! You're going to carry better on the road?!

Ticket Sales Not Farley's Priority (http://www.wcfcourier.com/articles/2008/12/13/sports/local/10844142.txt)

Pantherpower
December 13th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Your attendance for your first round home game was 8,477! You're going to carry better on the road?!

Ticket Sales Not Farley's Priority (http://www.wcfcourier.com/articles/2008/12/13/sports/local/10844142.txt)

We had a large contingent follow the team to Chattanooga in '05. Didn't fill up our side of the stands, but thought we were well represented.

mlbowl
December 13th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Actually, no, I'm just curious how the teams will travel (especially with the economy and the fact that for Montana, it's probably a plane trip as opposed to a road trip.

I'd love to see the stadium full regardless, because it's good for FCS.

Watching the Tuesday night and Wednesday night FBS broadcasts has been interesting this year, because some of the stadiums have been 1/2 full at best.

I know what you're sayingxpeacex ...but damn, let me savor last nights victory awhile!xlolx

Blue42
December 13th, 2008, 10:19 AM

UNI's first round ticket sales...8,477

Blue Hen's....0

Eight Legger
December 13th, 2008, 10:26 AM
JMU-Richmond would have been the best-case scenario for Chatty...both schools are within driving distance. Montana will bring a good number of fans, and at this point I would expect UNI or Richmond to bring about the same number (as each other), so I don't think what happens today will have a big impact on sales either way.

UNIFanSince1983
December 13th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Well I know if UNI makes it past Richmond today I will be in attendance, as I was in 2005.

Ud1Hens
December 13th, 2008, 10:34 AM
UNI's first round ticket sales...8,477

Blue Hen's....0

Was that necessary? xrolleyesx

It's funny because if I were to put up National Championship numbers you'd say, "Quite living in the past." If I brought up us beating you in '03, you'd say, "Quite living in the past." If I brought up how you were the # 1 seed last year and lost at home to us, you'd say, "Quite living in the past." If I brought up the total number of UD ticket sold for the 3rd and 4th round last year, you'd say, "Quite living in the past." So basically whatever response any UD fan comes back with is a lose lose because we were not good this year. It is comical how quickly someone forgets the recent past when it helps them for a "decent argument."

If UNI makes it to Chatty I'm sure you will have a great number of fans. Good luck to UR and UNI.

appfan2008
December 13th, 2008, 10:36 AM
uni will bring more fans than richmond... ur does not travel well... nor do they attend well at home... IMO a uni win would be best for chatty

UNIFanSince1983
December 13th, 2008, 10:40 AM

My question is what was the average attendance throughout FCS on Thanksgiving weekend?

And if you read the article he isn't concerned about ticket sales because of everything Iowans have been through. You know one town 10 miles from CF was completely destroyed by a Tornado. Many, many towns throughout Iowa including Cedar Falls, Cedar Rapids, and Des Moines were devastated by flooding. Couple that with how our economy is right now it may not be the first thing on his mind telling people to forget about their economic problems and spend 26 bucks on a game.

crunifan
December 13th, 2008, 11:24 AM
My question is what was the average attendance throughout FCS on Thanksgiving weekend?

And if you read the article he isn't concerned about ticket sales because of everything Iowans have been through. You know one town 10 miles from CF was completely destroyed by a Tornado. Many, many towns throughout Iowa including Cedar Falls, Cedar Rapids, and Des Moines were devastated by flooding. Couple that with how our economy is right now it may not be the first thing on his mind telling people to forget about their economic problems and spend 26 bucks on a game.

Yeah, I don't think people know how back the Iowa floods were this year. Cedar Rapids, Iowa's second largest city, had its ENTIRE downtown (we are talking 30 story buildings) underwater.

Estimates are now that Cedar Rapids/Linn County has $5.6 billion of flood damage.

I'm not sure how much that affects UNI ticket sales, but I will tell you that it doesn't help them.

HiHiYikas
December 13th, 2008, 11:28 AM
The 2001 Montana-Furman final had about 13K, the 2004 final between JMU and Montana was a little less than 17K.

I hope it's not as low as 2001, but I'd be surprised if actual attendance was as high as 2004.

CrazyCat
December 13th, 2008, 12:02 PM
They are selling packages for $1,300 - $1,500. I would assume that includes flight,tickets,maybe one or two nights hotel. How much would it cost an east coast fan to go to Chatty? Honest question, no smack intended.

Purple For Life
December 13th, 2008, 12:21 PM

You beat me to saying exactly what I was going to say.

There are people who are STILL not back in their homes and they got flooded in JUNE.

At least Farley's compassionate.

HiHiYikas
December 13th, 2008, 01:49 PM
They are selling packages for $1,300 - $1,500. I would assume that includes flight,tickets,maybe one or two nights hotel. How much would it cost an east coast fan to go to Chatty? Honest question, no smack intended.
For me, 4 or 5 tanks of gas, two nights at a hotel, $60 for tickets. Split two ways, maybe $275. Last year I split my hotel room 7 ways (yes, 7 ways, ugh!), and sold some extra tickets to offset the costs.

Of course, that's not just the "east coast" price. I drive about 10 hours to get to Chattanooga from Richmond. From Newark, Delaware it's 12 hours, and Hen fans were well-represented last year.

So draw a 12-ish-hour circle around Chattanooga, and you can be a lot of places, From Miami to Madison to Tulsa to Houston to Cedar Falls.

Unfortunately, Missoula isn't within many people's 12-hour circles. I think that's one reason people love it so much.

nevadagriz
December 13th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Ok the best way to ensure a packed house is as follows:
It cost a Montana fan about $3000 to attend the game
It would cost a GSU or Appy fan about what $500.00 to buy a Griz sweatshirt, a couple tanks of gas and a hotel room.
So if all of our southern brothers and sisters would break out the Griz gear and get their butts to chatty problem is resolvedxthumbsupx

Grizaholic17
December 13th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Don't ya'll worry about Montana traveling. Griz Nation represents well no matter where they go.

Heck, the band will be there.

grizbeer
December 13th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Montana UNI would probably have 13 - 15,000 there - not great, not a sellout, but a great football game. If they play for the NC again when the game is in January expect 5 - 7k more people.

Here is an article about travel costs for Montana fans last week and this - charters are running $1200 per person to get there. people will be driving 200+ miles just to try to get a $500 airfare to get to the game. I cannot overstate how expensive and inconvenient having the NC game with 1 week notice in non-major metropolitan area without a hub airport is for people in the west.

http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2008/12/10/news/local/news05.txt

ERASU2113
December 13th, 2008, 03:02 PM

Yea, UNI traveled well in '05. Outside of a section, and a few spotty black&gold on the home side....they easily had all but 1 or 2 sections completely filled.

One of the better traveling teams in FCS IMO.

HiHiYikas
December 13th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I cannot overstate how expensive and inconvenient having the NC game with 1 week notice in non-major metropolitan area without a hub airport is for people in the west.
What's a cheap airport destination in relation to Missoula? Is there any such thing outside the Northwest?

I checked fares earlier, thinking it would be better for Griz fans to fly into Atlanta, rent a car, and drive the hour-and-forty-five-minutes up to Chattanooga.

I saw Missoula to Chattanooga at about $960-something, roughly. Missoula to Atlanta, which is as big as it gets when it comes airport hubs, is about $900. I would have guessed at least a $250 dropoff, making the fly-rent-drive idea worthwhile.

Peems
December 13th, 2008, 03:44 PM
My Pa and I are going and it's costing us about 1200 per person.