PDA

View Full Version : My observations from the JMU/Montana game...

bandl
December 13th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Some random observations from last night's game:

1) That was a FUN game to watch, no matter who you were rooting for xnodx
2) I-AA (I don't say FCS) should be proud that the nation got to watch such an entertaining game xnodx
3) Two great teams, no doubt. JMU was great, Montana was really great.
4) No team can turn the ball over 4 times and expect to win. One less turnover for JMU and the outcome may have been different. But I won't use an excuse that has been uttered on AGS before, that WE (JMU) simply turned the ball over and let the other team have the ball. Montana absolutely caused all 4 of those turnovers, and hats off to their defense. xbowx
5) Dudzik was every bit as good a runner as Landers (although not as big and heavy hitting), but is an even better thrower (not to say that Landers can't throw, but that he doesn't always need to). He will definitely be an asset for JMU next year. xrulesx
6) Montana had a better offensive game plan than JMU did, period. And they adjusted their play-calling when needed. xreadx
7) Both of the calls that were overturned in the 4th quarter were called correctly...but if there wasn't review in place for this game, then the original calls would have been correct as well (as wierd as that seems) xeyebrowx
8) Landers will be playing for the Titans next year xsmiley_wix
9) I'm not sure why there seems to be such a hatred for JMU on AGS, but if anything good comes from this loss it's that alot of the less-than-stellar JMU youngin's and troll's won't be visiting AGS anytime soon.

hapapp
December 13th, 2008, 08:06 AM
I concur with your observations.

What do you think Landers will play in the pros? He seems like an H back type to me.

Hate the CAA
December 13th, 2008, 08:20 AM
I am not sure that Landers will play in Sunday... I don't think that he is a better prospect then Stacy Tutt (Richmond) or Michael Robinson (Penn St). For those that remember Tutt he played QB as if he were a LB and he is nothing but a journeyman trying to find a home.

Landers could be a great fit for Canada.

appstate38
December 13th, 2008, 08:25 AM
From the outset, this was a very physical game. Given the style the Apps play, I believe the outcome would have been the same if we played Montana. Throw in the turnover factor and there you go. The Griz imposed their will on JMU and JMU didn't fold to it easily. If they take care of the ball things could have been different. Well played and hard fought. Just the way we like it.

ChickenMan
December 13th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Montana/JMU was a game where both offenses really dominated the opponent's defenses and in a game like that.. one or two turnovers is usually enough to kill you. JMU had four TOs and the way the Griz offense was playing the Dukes were fortunate to still be in the game at the end. JMU moved the ball all night (did they even punt?) even without Landers.. but all those turnovers and Montana's ability to turn them into points was the deciding factor.

EveryGamblersDream
December 13th, 2008, 08:28 AM
The first call was completely wrong. The ball NEVER reached the plain as only his fingers did. The ball was behind his fingers so by the actual definition of the rule, he was not in. The initial call was correct. The fact they felt they had conclusive information to turn the call over shows how they were trying to screw Montana.

Montana beat them because they were the better team, the turnovers helped but were not needed. Montana would have won either way.

GoldandBlack
December 13th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Hats off to the 'Griz- one helluva ballgame. JMU showed a lot of fight with their backup QB in the second half, but as Wofford learned against ASU, turnovers kill, plain and simple.

Wish we could've played the 'Griz this year- would've been fun!

JohnStOnge
December 13th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I was pulling for Montana and am glad the Griz won but I don't agree with that the turnovers were "caused." Yes, when you hit hard etc. you increase the probability of turnover but what the offensive players do is also a factor. Like when Landers fumbled he got hit. But players get hit every play. The ball gets hit on a lot of plays. There are attempts to strip the ball and pull it out all the time. As an offensive player you're responsible for hanging onto it.

There's usually some chance involved in turnovers too. Which way the ball bounces when fumbled, where players happen to be, etc., are things that have impacts on whether it's a turnover or not. In fact I think I remember Montana having a fumble last night and getting it back. It could just as easily have gone the other way with a little bit of a different bounce.

To me, when you turn the ball over four times it's on you. Like I said, there's some chance involved. But I think having that many turnovers is usually avoidable no matter what the defense is doing. And last night it wasn't a situation where Montana was controling the line of scrimmage, getting big hits in the backfield, etc., when JMU was on offense. JMU's offensive line was dominating the line of scrimmage.

ChickenMan
December 13th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Montana beat them because they were the better team, the turnovers helped but were not needed. Montana would have won either way.

Montana was the better team.. because they didn't turn it over.

To say the TOs weren't the deciding factor.. indicates that you are either a major homer (Griz fan) or that your football knowledge is very lacking...

Appguy
December 13th, 2008, 08:34 AM
I agree with the second review, but the first one there simply wasn't enough evidence to overturn a call IMO.

catamount man
December 13th, 2008, 08:37 AM
The best observation was that the announcers, I remember Brock Huard but not the other fellow's name, were genuinely PUMPED about this game and FCS football in general. No BCS talk, no Tebow fellate-fest, no bowl talk, it was all FCS and they were thrilled to be calling this game.

I've long advocated an ESPN 3 which come football seasons, shows FCS and Division 2 only. If that ever happens, these 2 cats could host FCS Gameday for all I care. Somebody needs to sit Herbstreit down and show him what championship football is all about.

KUDOS TO THE ANNOUNCERS AND TO THE GRIZ AND JMU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Appguy
December 13th, 2008, 08:46 AM
I agree with Catamount man, well called game with few distractions. I think us having the playoff makes them jealous!

DaGriz
December 13th, 2008, 08:56 AM
I agree with the TV assessment. Every year during our playoffs they rave about I-A topics. This year they pretty much stuck to our division. I thought the announcers sounded like they did their homework on both teams as well. Got to give them props.

As far as the instant replays, I don't know how they overturned the flip into the endzone. Either way they called it I think it should have stuck. I don't know how they had enough evidence to over turn that. The pass along the side lines, I felt there was enough evidence to over turn and they made the right choice in over turning it, as much as that sucks to say. Great game either way.

BobcatJH
December 13th, 2008, 09:04 AM
The Griz had a better gameplan last night.

Both teams were great!!!

The Griz should be favored regardless of who they play in Chattanooga next weekend. They are the most fundamentally sound team I have seen in a long time.

Good luck Grizzlies!!

JMU DJ
December 13th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Jeff Fisher has a gorgeous goatee... how does he do it?

... and had a recurring dream last night that was Bergquist completing a 30 yard pass to Reynolds for a touchdown... I guess that's the one that sticks out in my mind.

uofmman1122
December 13th, 2008, 09:12 AM

Both teams were great!!!

The Griz should be favored regardless of who they play in Chattanooga next weekend. They are the most fundamentally sound team I have seen in a long time.

Good luck Grizzlies!!I hope we aren't favored. Really, the two teams should be going in completely even.

UNH SUPERFAN
December 13th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Turnovers kill as UNH can attest to. I'm surprised JMU didn't throw the ball more. I have not seen them this year but with a spread look I expected more passing. Is this the way they have played all season, 90% run 10% pass?

I think that 1AA games are, on the whole, a lot more hard fought and thus more entertaining than 99% of the bowl games we see. Look at the playoff games to this point. Almost all the quarter final and semi final games have been close and does anyone think Richmond-UNI won't be the same. This is great football and for the 1A fans who dare to watch them they have been treated to great college football.

EveryGamblersDream
December 13th, 2008, 09:13 AM

To say the TOs weren't the deciding factor.. indicates that you are either a major homer (Griz fan) or that your football knowledge is very lacking...

I'd put my knowledge of this sport up against anyone. Considering part of my income is from wagering & I-AA/II/III being a strong source of my CFB wagers, I know what I am talking about.

When was JMU really stopping Montana's offense? They were going to score when they needed to with or without the turnovers. The lack of common sense on the JMU coaching staff showed big time with the continuing freebie field position that Montana took advantage of.

ASU Tailgaiteer
December 13th, 2008, 09:16 AM
The game was well called from the booth, but the directing was bad. They completely missed more than one play, one when they finally put up a graphic with Jeff Fisher's name on it after putting him on camera for two or three shots before.

Both replays were correct, the ball did touch the plane, which I never would have believed watching the play live.

While the game was much closer, injured QB, multiple turnovers vs. zero for the visiting team seems awfully familiar.

It's also amazing that one play (the safety) could have completely derailed a game that Montana deserved to win. Their play calling (except for some of the really short kickoffs) and execution (I only remember one key dropped ball on third down) earned the win. Had the game made it to overtime, I feel that JMU would be on to Chatty.

If you are going to kick the ball that short, why not just kick it out of bounds. I know that it did produce a turnover, but I just don't see conceding the short field every time.

Regardless, great job Griz, enjoy Chattanooga!

ChickenMan
December 13th, 2008, 09:20 AM
When was JMU really stopping Montana's offense?

Considering the fact that JMU was NEVER forced to punt the entire game.. I'd ask you the same question.. when was Montana stopping the JMU offense???

Obviously in a game where both offenses are dominating.. the team that is -4 (JMU) in the turnover department is going to come out on the short end.

uofmman1122
December 13th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Considering the fact that JMU was NEVER forced to punt the entire game.. I'd ask you the same question.. when was Montana stopping the JMU offense???

Obviously in a game where both offenses are dominating.. the team that is -4 (JMU) in the turnover department is going to come out on the short end.That 4th and goal stuffing must not count, huh? xeyebrowx

Granted, we did have the safety on the next possession, so I guess there were one instance of each team's defense stopping the offense. xlolx

vaughtdj
Turnovers kill as UNH can attest to. I'm surprised JMU didn't throw the ball more. I have not seen them this year but with a spread look I expected more passing. Is this the way they have played all season, 90% run 10% pass?

I think that 1AA games are, on the whole, a lot more hard fought and thus more entertaining than 99% of the bowl games we see. Look at the playoff games to this point. Almost all the quarter final and semi final games have been close and does anyone think Richmond-UNI won't be the same. This is great football and for the 1A fans who dare to watch them they have been treated to great college football.

actually yeah we do run that much. and even down by three scores near the end of the game i still think our running was working. we prob would have sent the game into overtime if not for a holding call on the last drive.

Houndawg

Obviously in a game where both offenses are dominating.. the team that is -4 (JMU) in the turnover department is going to come out on the short end.

They would have been forced to punt if they could have hung on to the ball.

ChickenMan
December 13th, 2008, 09:25 AM
That 4th and goal stuffing must not count, huh? xeyebrowx

Granted, we did have the safety on the next possession, so I guess there were one instance of each team's defense stopping the offense. xlolx

the four turnovers counted a LOT more... ;)

ChickenMan
December 13th, 2008, 09:26 AM
They would have been forced to punt if they could have hung on to the ball.

thank you Kreskin... :p

SideLine Shooter
December 13th, 2008, 09:30 AM
The first call was completely wrong. The ball NEVER reached the plain as only his fingers did. The ball was behind his fingers so by the actual definition of the rule, he was not in. The initial call was correct. The fact they felt they had conclusive information to turn the call over shows how they were trying to screw Montana.

I agree with you completely. I don't think the initial call should have been overturned. With that said, I guess the officials didn't want to face "The Wrath of MM".xlolx xlolx

Houndawg
December 13th, 2008, 09:30 AM
thank you Kreskin... :p

You're welcome, son.xthumbsupx

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 13th, 2008, 09:42 AM

They stopped them by stripping the ball, much better than a punt. xpeacex

ChickenMan
December 13th, 2008, 10:19 AM
They stopped them by stripping the ball, much better than a punt. xpeacex

http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:dTleqlciFxlqqM:http://www.sharehotbabes.com/data/media/519/stripper-ballbusting.jpg

stripping is always better than a punt... :D

EveryGamblersDream
December 13th, 2008, 10:20 AM
The game was well called from the booth, but the directing was bad. They completely missed more than one play, one when they finally put up a graphic with Jeff Fisher's name on it after putting him on camera for two or three shots before.

Both replays were correct, the ball did touch the plane, which I never would have believed watching the play live.

While the game was much closer, injured QB, multiple turnovers vs. zero for the visiting team seems awfully familiar.

It's also amazing that one play (the safety) could have completely derailed a game that Montana deserved to win. Their play calling (except for some of the really short kickoffs) and execution (I only remember one key dropped ball on third down) earned the win. Had the game made it to overtime, I feel that JMU would be on to Chatty.

If you are going to kick the ball that short, why not just kick it out of bounds. I know that it did produce a turnover, but I just don't see conceding the short field every time.

Regardless, great job Griz, enjoy Chattanooga!

I zoomed in on that & the ball wasn't close to touching the plain. The fingers barely reached there & the ball was behind those. By the definition of the rule, the initial call was 100% correct. The biggest joke was how the replay officials saw conclusive evidence to overturn the initial call. No such evidence existed.

gbhmt
December 13th, 2008, 10:26 AM
I zoomed in on that & the ball wasn't close to touching the plain. The fingers barely reached there & the ball was behind those. By the definition of the rule, the initial call was 100% correct. The biggest joke was how the replay officials saw conclusive evidence to overturn the initial call. No such evidence existed.

The biggest thing people haven't mentioned is the camera angle. They showed the angle that they ended up deciding on; but it was a little to the left of the goal line. There was another angle right on the goal line from a little farther away and you could clearly tell he wasn't in.

fencer24
December 13th, 2008, 10:41 AM
The observation that I thought counted the most, was in the 1st quarter, the JMU players were huffing and puffing, and at the end of the quarter, the Griz sprinted to the opposite end of the field and the Dukes were just ambling.
That strength coach seems to have done a good job.

appfan2008
December 13th, 2008, 10:42 AM
that was a great game and montana truly looked like the bigger and better team... jmu looked good but was really unable to stop montana and montana used the bend but dont break defense that is a good way to win... great season to jmu... good luck next week to um... and what a fun game to watch on tv!!!

grizbeer
December 13th, 2008, 10:57 AM
That was an awesome game - that was what college football is all about last night. I am glad the replay didn't affect the outcome of the game, they most likely were the correct calls but given the evidence they were hard to swallow, so I am glad I don't have to bitch about them today!xlolx

ASU_MBA
December 13th, 2008, 11:04 AM
I'd put my knowledge of this sport up against anyone. Considering part of my income is from wagering & I-AA/II/III being a strong source of my CFB wagers, I know what I am talking about.

When was JMU really stopping Montana's offense? They were going to score when they needed to with or without the turnovers. The lack of common sense on the JMU coaching staff showed big time with the continuing freebie field position that Montana took advantage of.

I guess you were too busy playing internet poker and did not see the 4th and goal stop by the montana defense. I would call that stopping jmu's offense but i am no gambling expert.

MacThor
December 13th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Montana still covered the spread, so don't sweat it. :)

DuckDuckGriz
December 13th, 2008, 11:37 AM

At the same time I wonder what it would have been like had Montana not had that high snap and safety when up 35-17.....

That effectively changed everything and you could argue that without it the game might not have been close.

RE/MAXGriz
December 13th, 2008, 11:59 AM

Both teams were great!!!

Good luck Grizzlies!!

Favor whoever you want, I just hope Coulson doesn't pick us! The touch of death!

SeattleGriz
December 13th, 2008, 12:12 PM
At the same time I wonder what it would have been like had Montana not had that high snap and safety when up 35-17.....

That effectively changed everything and you could argue that without it the game might not have been close.

Even with the safety, the game wasn't really close. Montana could not be stopped on offense and the D forced JMU to take way too much time off the clock. My wife even noticed how JMU was running out of time in the third quarter.

Montana soundly beat JMU last night. The game was over when Montana came out of the half and ran the score up to 28-10 (3 scores).

blitz4
December 13th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Congratulations to Montana. I am happy to see them go to the Championship. Turnovers and losing Landers proved to be too much to overcome(that is football).

whitey
December 13th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Even with the safety, the game wasn't really close.

Do they not teach math in Montana? Or did you turn the TV off in the 3rd quarter? Last I checked a game is 4 quarters. Not 3. I'm sick of these posts. JMU had the ball with 2 minutes on the clock and only down one score. How could you possibly say the game wasn't close? Montana could not be stopped on offense? You had to punt 3 times (one resulting in a safety). JMU held you to a long field goal attempt which was missed. Yeah you couldn't be stopped alright. The fact is your D stopped our O as much as our D stopped your O.

Now with all that said. Congratulations to Montana! You guys came to JMU and you beat us. Fair and square. It was a great game (my voice still hasn't come back yet..ha). I wish you all the best in Nooga next week.

xpeacex

CSUBUCDAD
December 13th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Congrats to Griz on the big win and thanks to both teams for one of the best games I have seen in awhile. That will go down as a classic FCS playoff matchup.

SeattleGriz
December 13th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Do they not teach math in Montana? Or did you turn the TV off in the 3rd quarter? Last I checked a game is 4 quarters. Not 3. I'm sick of these posts. JMU had the ball with 2 minutes on the clock and only down one score. How could you possibly say the game wasn't close? Montana could not be stopped on offense? You had to punt 3 times (one resulting in a safety). JMU held you to a long field goal attempt which was missed. Yeah you couldn't be stopped alright. The fact is your D stopped our O as much as our D stopped your O.

Now with all that said. Congratulations to Montana! You guys came to JMU and you beat us. Fair and square. It was a great game (my voice still hasn't come back yet..ha). I wish you all the best in Nooga next week.

xpeacex

and, you didn't even make it past the 50 before you turned it over on downs, and you would have had to score a touchdown, and you would have had to converted a 2 point conversion...just to tie.

Wasn't close. sorry. They don't award 9 points for a TD and 2 point conversion. I did learn that in Montana math though.

gbhmt
December 13th, 2008, 12:30 PM

xpeacex

You stopped us for three punts? Held us to a long field goal? Three dropped passes accounted for three of them. The last was in a situation where we had to eat clock and couldn't afford to stop the clock with an incompletion. There wasn't much stopping at all.

whitey
December 13th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Well I guess your definition of a close game is different than mine. So I'm not going to waste time arguing that with you. Congrats on the win and best of luck next week.

gbhmt
December 13th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Well I guess your definition of a close game is different than mine. So I'm not going to waste time arguing that with you. Congrats on the win and best of luck next week.

I'd call a back and forth game like JMU/Villanova a close game. An 18 point lead shaved down to an eight point one doesn't get "close" for me until they score that TD.

JMU DJ
December 13th, 2008, 12:34 PM
and, you didn't even make it past the 50 before you turned it over on downs, and you would have had to score a touchdown, and you would have had to converted a 2 point conversion...just to tie.

Wasn't close. sorry.

Ridiculous statement... we did make it past the 50, penalties are what put us in our final field position. A one score game when the losing team has the ball with time left on the clock and has moved the ball at will all game (minus turnovers) is a pretty close and scary game. Check the game thread buddy, looks like JMU and Monty fans were both on the edge of their seats that final drive. To belittle it is to lessen the greatness of that game. If the grizz had of held onto to the ball for that last six minutes, I don't think as many people would be remarking how great the competition in this game was.

I have no problem saying that Montana put the hurt on us and were indeed the better team on the field last night. They deserve all of the respect that anyone can give their team.

Enjoy your Kool Aid
xhomerx

GrizNation93
December 13th, 2008, 12:50 PM
What a game! I am so proud of our boys right now!! Not many people gave them a chance and they went into JMU's house and took it to em! GO GRIZ!!!

srgrizizen
December 13th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Dukes fans: Of course it was close at the end, and any Griz fan with any sense was nervous, although JMU still had to accomplish three things: score, convert the 2 pointer, and then win in overtime. Odds are, that wasn't going to happen, but I would still call it close.

Also, the previous 2 pointer was good only if that camera was positioned EXACTLY parallel to and on the goal line. If it was a little toward the middle of the field, as one poster claimed the call was a joke. Either way, it took a hell of a lot of chutzpah to overturn it on that flimsy and ambiguous evidence. Probably helped the TV ratings though.:)

ChickenMan
December 13th, 2008, 12:53 PM
A one score game is usually considered 'close'.. but close or not.. with JMU being -4 in the turnover department.. the game was a lot closer than it should have been.

SeattleGriz
December 13th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Dukes fans: Of course it was close at the end, and any Griz fan with any sense was nervous, although JMU still had to accomplish three things: score, convert the 2 pointer, and then win in overtime. Odds are, that wasn't going to happen, but I would still call it close.

Also, the previous 2 pointer was good only if that camera was positioned EXACTLY parallel to and on the goal line. If it was a little toward the middle of the field, as one poster claimed the call was a joke. Either way, it took a hell of a lot of chutzpah to overturn it on that flimsy and ambiguous evidence. Probably helped the TV ratings though.:)

Good point. I think what I am saying is coming off wrong, so.

First off, I was nervous as hell the whole game, but my statement about it not being close is because I look at what JMU had to accomplish to win the game.

1. Drive the field 93 yards in 2:06
2. Score a touchdown
3. Get the two point conversion
4. If time left, kickoff to Montana
5. As long as we are talking hypothetical, then stop Montana on the return
6. Don't allow Montana to make a FG.

Just to tie the game. Thats a long list, and honestly I feel they were not close in accomplishing that list

JMU2004
December 13th, 2008, 01:29 PM

First off, I was nervous as hell the whole game, but my statement about it not being close is because I look at what JMU had to accomplish to win the game.

2. Score a touchdown
5. As long as we art talking hypothetical, then stop Montana on the return

Just to tie the game. Thats a long list, and honestly I feel they were not close in accomplishing that list

True...but JMU did that EXACT sequence against UR

DuckDuckGriz
December 13th, 2008, 01:30 PM

The Big Fluffy is not UR :D xpeacex

Reign of Terrier
December 13th, 2008, 01:33 PM

xpeacex

Take away the safety and it's 35-25, that's kind of close. According to a lot JMU logic the 38-35 win over Wofford wasn't close and I was giving the same argument (of course that game was closer) as you are. I understand what you're saying but if JMU (I know you don't mean it though) thinks a 10 point loss was closer than a 3 point win you have no sympathy from me.

CrunchGriz
December 13th, 2008, 01:34 PM

I think the point is that you can't be depending on this extremely unlikely sequence (or something akin to it) to go your way every time all season against very good competition.

At some point it's gonna bite ya in the butt.

And a bite from a Grizzly bear will definitely leave a mark.

JMU DJ
December 13th, 2008, 01:35 PM

2. Score a touchdown
5. As long as we are talking hypothetical, then stop Montana on the return

With the last second "miracles" our team has made this season, that list doesn't sound unreasonable as:

1. Get ball with one minute left down by 2
2. Drive 40 yards
3. Throw 35 yard touchdown pass that bounces off defenders helmet first
4. Win game

After that, I think anything is possible for the Dukes

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 13th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I'd much rather rely on a consistant run game and a balanced passing attack xnodx Don't make the execution hard, keep it simple and you can execute with a much higher consistency. xtwocentsx

JMU DJ
December 13th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Take away the safety and it's 35-25, that's kind of close. According to a lot JMU logic the 38-35 win over Wofford wasn't close and I was giving the same argument (of course that game was closer) as you are. I understand what you're saying but if JMU (I know you don't mean it though) thinks a 10 point loss was closer than a 3 point win you have no sympathy from me.

But there was a safety, and it was 35-27. xsmiley_wix It was a close game vs wofford, maybe I've missed all of the people who think it wasn't. Lot of JMU hatred out of you today terrier... sorry if some of our fans are responsible for for this

whitey
December 13th, 2008, 01:44 PM

I don't know who from JMU said that our win over Wofford wasn't close. That's crazy talk. Our wins over Wofford and Villanova were closer games than our loss last night, but that still doesn't mean the game last night wasn't close.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 13th, 2008, 01:45 PM
I don't know who from JMU said that our win over Wofford wasn't close. That's crazy talk. Our wins over Wofford and Villanova were closer games than our loss last night, but that still doesn't mean the game last night wasn't close.

I know I was CLOSE to a heart attack, that should count at least :D

argh!
December 13th, 2008, 01:46 PM
A one score game is usually considered 'close'.. but close or not.. with JMU being -4 in the turnover department.. the game was a lot closer than it should have been.

i agree - montana pretty much gave 'em nine points with the safety, and also dropped an easy pass at the 3 yard line that would've been a first and walk into the endzone - instead they scored nothing. moreover, jmu should not have been given two points for their failed conversion.

placidlakegriz
December 13th, 2008, 01:49 PM

The Big Fluffy has beaten the the number 1 ranked team 3 times in the past 6 year!!!!!!

JohnStOnge
December 13th, 2008, 01:51 PM
After watching the game I think it was an upset. I think it pretty much boils down to JMU turning the ball over. Both teams moved the ball well but I thought JMU moved it on Montana's defense far more easily than Montana moved it on JMU's. I think that the better team...as defined by the team that would win most of the time if the two played each other on multiple occasions...lost.

JMU had had 26 first downs to Montana's 14, 419 yards to Montana's 298, and rushed for 334 yards at 5.8 per pop. They ran 75 plays to Montana's 52 and never even punted. If the two were playing again tomorrow or any other day and I had to put money down I'd put my money on JMU. And if I were the championship game opponent, I'd rather see Montana as my opponent than the Dukes. I'd like my chances better.

But you only get one shot in football. It's not a 7 game series like baseball or basketball. And I'm glad JMU didn't get it done.

By the way, I think JMU made a mistake by lining up with the QB under the center in the I on 4th and goal. Montana flat couldn't stop them when they lined up in their normal formation and ran the ball. Don't know why they went away from it in that situation. But it turned out well.

argh!
December 13th, 2008, 01:56 PM
After watching the game I think it was an upset. I think it pretty much boils down to JMU turning the ball over. Both teams moved the ball well but I thought JMU moved it on Montana's defense far more easily than Montana moved it on JMU's. I think that the better team...as defined by the team that would win most of the time if the two played each other on multiple occasions...lost.

JMU had had 26 first downs to Montana's 14, 419 yards to Montana's 298, and rushed for 334 yards at 5.8 per pop. They ran 75 plays to Montana's 52 and never even punted. If the two were playing again tomorrow or any other day and I had to put money down I'd put my money on JMU. And if I were the championship game opponent, I'd rather see Montana as my opponent than the Dukes. I'd like my chances better.

But you only get one shot in football. It's not a 7 game series like baseball or basketball. And I'm glad JMU didn't get it done.

By the way, I think JMU made a mistake by lining up with the QB under the center in the I on 4th and goal. Montana flat couldn't stop them when they lined up in their normal formation and ran the ball. Don't know why they went away from it in that situation. But it turned out well.

it is hard to gain a lot of yards when you have a short field.

did you happen to look at the third down conversion ratios? montana won the battles that needed to be won.

jmu isn't as good as weber. not even close.

gbhmt
December 13th, 2008, 02:00 PM
After watching the game I think it was an upset. I think it pretty much boils down to JMU turning the ball over. Both teams moved the ball well but I thought JMU moved it on Montana's defense far more easily than Montana moved it on JMU's. I think it was an upset and that the better team...as defined by the team that would win most of the time if the two played each other on multiple occasions...lost.

JMU had had 26 first downs to Montana's 14, 419 yards to Montana's 298, and rushed for 334 yards at 5.8 per pop. They ran 75 plays to Montana's 52 and never even punted. If the two were playing again tomorrow or any other day and I had to put money down I'd put my money on JMU.

I'd have to quietly disagree. Obviously 419 yards is a lot for any defense, but we were holding them to short carries for most of the game, rather than trying to hold them to no-gains and losses. One thing people forget about the total yardage stat and the first downs stat is the fact that the Griz can't really rack up too many yards if they don't have many yards to get into the endzone. JMU's offense proved extremely stout but painfully one-dimensional. Their offense equated to pounding away at the stern Griz D while the Griz offense equated to slicing up the JMU D with a scalpel. UM was simply more efficient. And JMU's strictly running offense hurts late in the game when you don't want the clock to run. The thing said the most about the Griz D in the week coming up to this game is we have a talent for red zone stops and red zone takeaways. This game was business as usual inside the 20 for the Griz D. While the Griz may not have turned the ball over, there were definitely quite a few critical mistakes that would also have undeniably ended in points and/or time off the clock. Three of UM's four non-conversions on third down were either pass drops or in the first case, a pass drop on second down. The Griz D didn't stop JMU's O until the red zone, but the fact is is that they were certainly slowing them down more than the JMU D was with UM's offense.xtwocentsx

gbhmt
December 13th, 2008, 02:02 PM

did you happen to look at the third down conversion ratios? montana won the battles that needed to be won.

Okay well that was a good post until that last line. That's a little bold for me.

Grrrrriz
December 13th, 2008, 02:10 PM
The argument I don't really understand is that, if Rodney Landers was in, the game would have had a different outcome. As far as I can tell, Rodney Lander hasn't played defense all season, and we scored 35 points on you with our offense, could been more, but it wasn't, we had opportunities to put more points on the board, and didn't. You guys are forgetting, with the swiss cheese defense you had most of the game, maybe Landers would have made a difference, closer, perhaps a win....you still had to stop our O, and we still probably would have outscored you.

argh!
December 13th, 2008, 02:11 PM
you are right, weber isn't that much better than jmu. however, they are way more diverse, with a better rb and qb (although landers was probably actually injured before the game even started, which i'm sure affected his throwing and running).

Grizaholic17
December 13th, 2008, 02:15 PM
No doubt about it, Ficsher sure got a look at him. But when you have Young and company on your team...xsmiley_wix

Great Game JMU and let's meet again to break the tie record!

Peems
December 13th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Favor whoever you want, I just hope Coulson doesn't pick us! The touch of death!

he picked us to beat Tx St.

EveryGamblersDream
December 13th, 2008, 05:40 PM
I guess you were too busy playing internet poker and did not see the 4th and goal stop by the montana defense. I would call that stopping jmu's offense but i am no gambling expert.

I think you have me mistaken, I am supporting the belief that Montana was the superior team regardless of the turnover margin from the game.

I really don't do internet poker just in case you cared. :)

Silenoz
December 13th, 2008, 05:43 PM

Yeah....I dunno about that

All three of those games were determined by TO's

CrunchGriz
December 13th, 2008, 06:01 PM

JohnStOnge: I know you're a stats geek, so I'll just mention one set of stats, and then make a statement based on those stats.

Football is a game of many components. The 'better' team is a combination of a lot of factors. One of these factors, and a very major one, is the team's turnover ratio. You can call turnover ratio just a 'luck' component of the game, but when turnover ratio is consistently on your team's side, 'luck' as an explanation begins to look entirely insufficient.

Montana is, and has been ever since Bobby Hauck has been head coach, an excellent turnover ratio team, one year being the 2nd best in the nation and I believe always being in the top 20.

Ball security is a religion at Montana, and the defense is very well coached on how to strip the ball. You lose a fumble, even if you're Chase Reynolds, and you sit for awhile.

In the last four games, starting with Montana's big rivalry matchup with Montana State, the Griz are 15 to 2 in turnovers.

This is not an 'accident', or 'luck'. It's skill, and an extremely important one to have in a football team. If you have a team that has this set of skills, and you're comparing them to another which is not as good at it (as JMU wasn't this season), you have to weigh the scale on 'better' team very carefully.

Simply moving up and down the field is not enough. Losing turnovers, and forcing them, is even more important than forcing or being forced into 3-and-outs, because it is much more demoralizing.

The 'better' team is often the one that does everything well, including managing and creating turnovers. UM was that better team yesterday.

grizbeer
December 13th, 2008, 06:48 PM

John from a stat perspective you might be right that the better team lost, but watching the Griz team this year, the MO is give up a lot of yards between the 20's but few TD's - I thought coming in that JMU would be a better team, but watching the game I thought Montana was much better.

grizbeer
December 13th, 2008, 06:51 PM

Talent-wise I think Weber would have destroyed JMU Friday - and both of the teams that played today as well - with a 3rd try in a neutral field Weber Probably would beat Montana - Weber was special good this year. Football is as much about matchups and emotions as talent and coaching.

Proud Griz Man
December 13th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Both replays were correct, the ball did touch the plane, which I never would have believed watching the play live. Comment #1 below

/QUOTE]

#1 Look at this picture and tell me that Dudzik has control of the ball, and then tell me how it is a Touchdown ??? You already told me that the other replay (3rd down pass from Bergquist to Mariani was not a catch)
http://www.dnronline.com/photos/121208JMUMONTFTB1PM_2428.jpg

Comment #2 - The Griz had a golden opportunity lost when normally sure-handed receiver Ferriter dropped a pass at the two-yard-line, next play got sacked, and next play missed a field goal.

JMU DJ
December 13th, 2008, 08:02 PM
<========== Looks like he has control in this picture

Cleets
December 13th, 2008, 08:05 PM
I'm pretty sure this game is over... in the books.. xeyebrowx

SeattleGriz
December 13th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Holy crap. I just saw Colt Anderson had 18 tackles.

grizband
December 13th, 2008, 08:43 PM
The forced fumble Colt had in the 4th quarter was great. My friend was yelling at him when it looked like he popped up to trash talk, but the replay showed he was looking for the ball. We will miss Colt next year, but Shillinger is a great replacement!!!

ChantDad
December 13th, 2008, 08:44 PM

I guess we'll find out Friday night!!!

I am a "ChantDad", just got home from Dec graduation, but also a '78 JMU alumnus - heart breaking loss...it all boiled down to turnovers...no turnovers and it is a different story...could be the same ending but would have arrived there differently...unfortunately we'll never know.

Being a native of The Old Dominion State, I will be rooting for the Spiders!!!

argh!
December 13th, 2008, 08:49 PM

I am a "ChantDad", just got home from Dec graduation, but also a '78 JMU alumnus - heart breaking loss...it all boiled down to turnovers...no turnovers and it is a different story...could be the same ending but would have arrived there differently...unfortunately we'll never know.

"we'll never know"?????????????

you know. it happened.

DuckDuckGriz
December 13th, 2008, 09:01 PM

I might follow the turnovers thing but to be honest with you that is tied for the easiest time I have seen the Griz move the ball all season. Dukes got destroyed up front.

gbhmt
December 13th, 2008, 09:33 PM
The forced fumble Colt had in the 4th quarter was great. My friend was yelling at him when it looked like he popped up to trash talk, but the replay showed he was looking for the ball. We will miss Colt next year, but Shillinger is a great replacement!!!

That was Schillinger, not Colt.

bpcats
December 13th, 2008, 09:34 PM
JMU had one of the best offensive lines that I have seen all year. They were very athletic and getting a great push against the Griz line.

I don't think the JMU realized the Montana's oline was as athletic as they were.

Both offenses were effective but the total lack of a passing game by JMU was the biggest factor in JMU losing. The way JMU was playing and moving the ball they still could have pulled out a win with a decent passing game.

I would have thought that JMU would have generated more of a pass rush but they only got to Bergquist once.

As far as the better team losing, I really don't believe that was the case. Montana rarely ever turns the ball over and plays very fundamental defense. JMU turned the ball over on a lot of silly stuff.

If you look at the position matchups Montana is just as talented if not more so than JMU.

QB's - yes Landers is superman but he was off target all night. Bergquist was on target all night and ran for a couple of big plays.

RB - I would take Reynolds over the JMU running back

Offensive line - even. JMU probably has a slight edge.

TE - Even, although Montana took advantage of their position.

WR - Mariani, Ferriter and Schulte all came up with big plays. Where were the JMU receivers...dropping balls.

Defensive line - edge goes to JMU, however the Griz d line matched up very well against the running attack of JMU.

Linebackers- Montana's linebackers made plays all over the field.

Secondary - Draw, but the Griz made the interception.

Playcalling - Big edge to Montana.

JMU is a tough team but Montana played the better game and deserved the win.

Landers is very good at running the ball, but had a terrible game passing. JMU's backup was a more accurate passer and just as effective running the ball.

BCS Sucks
December 13th, 2008, 10:02 PM
JMU had one of the best offensive lines that I have seen all year. They were very athletic and getting a great push against the Griz line.

I don't think the JMU realized the Montana's oline was as athletic as they were.

Both offenses were effective but the total lack of a passing game by JMU was the biggest factor in JMU losing. The way JMU was playing and moving the ball they still could have pulled out a win with a decent passing game.

I would have thought that JMU would have generated more of a pass rush but they only got to Bergquist once.

As far as the better team losing, I really don't believe that was the case. Montana rarely ever turns the ball over and plays very fundamental defense. JMU turned the ball over on a lot of silly stuff.

If you look at the position matchups Montana is just as talented if not more so than JMU.

QB's - yes Landers is superman but he was off target all night. Bergquist was on target all night and ran for a couple of big plays.

WR - Mariani, Ferriter and Schulte all came up with big plays. Where were the JMU receivers...dropping balls.

Defensive line - edge goes to JMU, however the Griz d line matched up very well against the running attack of JMU.

Landers is very good at running the ball, but had a terrible game passing. JMU's backup was a more accurate passer and just as effective running the ball.

No way it was a draw in the secondary colt anderson was all over the field i think he had 18 tackles and Shann Schillinger had 12 tackles

gbhmt
December 13th, 2008, 10:04 PM

Yeah that's the best way to put it. Fundamental defense. Only thing I think you missed is the turnovers weren't all "silly stuff." The Griz D took every one of those turnovers themselves. It wasn't like Higgins dropping the ball last game. There were two great strips, a big hit, and an incredible interception. And to those who said there was a blatant interference on the pick, I don't know what game you were watching cause he snatched the ball out of the air without contact. Didn't touch him till the ball was in his hands.

YoUDeeMan
December 14th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Yeah that's the best way to put it. Fundamental defense. Only thing I think you missed is the turnovers weren't all "silly stuff." The Griz D took every one of those turnovers themselves. It wasn't like Higgins dropping the ball last game. There were two great strips, a big hit, and an incredible interception. And to those who said there was a blatant interference on the pick, I don't know what game you were watching cause he snatched the ball out of the air without contact. Didn't touch him till the ball was in his hands.

Gotta' give the Griz credit with the strips. xnodx Their defense is well trained on going after the ball and stripping it. JMU seemed unprepared for that. Add the bad hands by their receivers.

Grizy coaches won this game...much better play calling and they had their team prepared.

The bottom line is that neither team could stop each other's O in this game. Physically, the Griz D was overmatched...they got blown off the ball. Only the strips saved them. On the other hand, JMU D had some stops, but let the Griz get away on those 3rd downs. And it wasn't just the coaches. Early on, the QB run for first down on third and long when the LB took the wrong path into the backfield was a key play - smart move by the Griz QB.

Still, if JMU protects the ball better, they win the rematches.

JMU loses yet another playoff game they should have won. Way to go Mickey.

Ronbo
December 14th, 2008, 09:47 AM

I would argue that the difference in stats was partly due to the fact that the Defensive scheme against JMU was to prevent the big play. It's a hybrid prevent that the Griz use when playing teams that break big plays alot. Also you do realize that JMU having to mount time consuming drives and not getting any quick hitters ate the clock up and worked against them. The Griz have become very good at causing the opponent to eat the clock up trying to score.

MTGrizzFan
December 14th, 2008, 10:04 AM

Nice!

gbhmt
December 14th, 2008, 11:36 AM
I would argue that the difference in stats was partly due to the fact that the Defensive scheme against JMU was to prevent the big play. It's a hybrid prevent that the Griz use when playing teams that break big plays alot. Also you do realize that JMU having to mount time consuming drives and not getting any quick hitters ate the clock up and worked against them. The Griz have become very good at causing the opponent to eat the clock up trying to score.

100% spot on right here

T-Dawg95
December 14th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Montana tried to exploit the same weaknesses that Wofford did, but Montana did it with much greater efficiency. JMU's defensive ends are fantastic players, but their two interior players can be moved by a good offensive line. Montana exploited this weakness, and the questionable linebacker play (I don't know what they are taught to do, so I can't say its bad or good) on the inside. The results speak for themselves.

Then, Montana would come back and pull the guard and center and attempt to create a short corner and force the linebackers to either scrape over the top or fill the natural seam that is created by pulling linemen. Again, the inconsistent play of JMU's inside linebackers really compounded their problems.

Couple those two schemes with a good passing game, and you've got a very dangerous offensive weapon.

fencer24
December 14th, 2008, 12:26 PM

Good Point! Mickey may have said that the Griz never stopped JMU, but the point production was well below normal. Now, why was that?
Seemed to me that the Griz were better able to score quickly if they needed to, but like most of Bobby ball, he lets the other team stay in it. I really wish he would go for the step on the throat attitude and remove all hope for the opposing team.
But I mean that in the nicest way of course.xpeacex

BDKJMU
December 14th, 2008, 05:19 PM

In 14 games, 689 rushing plays, 219 passing plays, about 76% rush/24% pass.

In Montana game, 58 rushing plays, 17 passing. Thats about 77% rush/23% pass.

Where do you get 90% run/10% pass? NH math?

http://www.jmusports.com/fls/14400/stats/football/2008/teamcume.htm
http://www.jmusports.com/fls/14400/stats/football/2008/montana.htm

DuckDuckGriz
December 14th, 2008, 05:21 PM

I think it was just a knee-jerk figure, cause I was kind of thinking the same thing.

That's an interesting stat regarding play-calling, and kinda odd, cause it looks to me like you have some speed at WR that can do more than just block.

SeattleGriz
December 14th, 2008, 05:23 PM

http://www.jmusports.com/fls/14400/stats/football/2008/teamcume.htm
http://www.jmusports.com/fls/14400/stats/football/2008/montana.htm

You guys started throwing a whole lot more at the end when you were trying to catch up. If you didn't have to do that, would you still have been passing?

BDKJMU
December 14th, 2008, 06:02 PM
I think it was just a knee-jerk figure, cause I was kind of thinking the same thing.

That's an interesting stat regarding play-calling, and kinda odd, cause it looks to me like you have some speed at WR that can do more than just block.

The top 4 receivers, (including the 2 big ones #8 Rockheed McCarter, 6'3", 215 Jr, #5 Bosco Williams 6'2", 220 R-Jr), and probably the 2 fastet (#23 & #26), along with tightend are among the 14 of 22 starters from the Montana game/17 with multiple game starting experience who will be back next season. #9 Dudzick next year if he wins the starting QB job over the highly touted true freshman Justin Thorpe (who was redshirted) won't be carrying the ball an avg of 19+ carries a game like Rodney was. Dudzick can't take that type of pounding. JMU will still run the shotgun, zone blocking read option spread (same as WVU) but I'm sure will pass more than the avg of about 24% of the time they did this season. I'm betting 30%-40% of the time with the receivers JMU has coming back and Dudzick, although not the cannon of an arm that Rodney has, is a decent passer.

zoo guy
December 14th, 2008, 08:15 PM
If Only........ Shoulda, coulda, woulda ! Ya know, i have never heard such a whinny bunch in all my life ! Ya got yer asses handed to you ! End of sentence. Now wipe yer damm noses and live with it. Put your big boy panties on and go back at it!! Shesssss already !!!

whitey
December 14th, 2008, 08:26 PM
If Only........ Shoulda, coulda, woulda ! Ya know, i have never heard such a whinny bunch in all my life ! Ya got yer asses handed to you ! End of sentence. Now wipe yer damm noses and live with it. Put your big boy panties on and go back at it!! Shesssss already !!!

Worst first post ever?

zoo guy
December 14th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Thing is, its NOt my first post. I am here EVERY year, as my team is here EVERY year ! Its just that your east coast powers that be, deleat us Montana fans every year. The "man" actual prevent many from even getting back on. Happens to me every year. Took forever to be "allowed" again. Tried thru the whole playoffs to "re-register", jus now getting approved. bite me

whitey
December 14th, 2008, 08:33 PM
LOL. I'm guessing it's not going to be long before you receive another year long hiatus. Hope you enjoy it (again)!

Wolfman
December 14th, 2008, 08:34 PM
The truth hurts. I have never seen so much whining from the JMU fans. They got beat, on their home field. End of story. Injuries are part of the game. Turnovers are part of the game. 3 of 4 JMU turnovers were caused by the Griz defense/special teams sripping the ball. Again, part of the game.

whitey
December 14th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Whose whining? Maybe like 1 or 2 JMU posters? This board has probably over 100 JMU posters. Give me a break. I've given nothing but love for the Griz because they and their fans deserve it.

zoo guy
December 14th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Too bad real smash mouth football makes you so easily beaten. And you mods are the worst and most biased mouths i have ever seen. you are a walking joke here!!

zoo guy
December 14th, 2008, 08:40 PM
And another thing!! I have been thrown out of way better places than this !!

Green26
December 14th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Neither replay call was correct. The ref who made the call on the pass reception was irked that the call was overturned.

JMUOlejer
December 14th, 2008, 10:57 PM
My observations from this season are: I think JMU had the best offense I have seen of any FCS team...call me a homer or biased or whatever but really...which team stopped our offense? Defense wins championships...I think that is the bottom line here. In most cases this season we could outscore people but if you give the other team 4 extra possessions...some on a short field you can't do that. If Montana can protect the QB on Friday night I think they can do it...otherwise Richmond will take it.

mlbowl
December 14th, 2008, 10:59 PM

C'mon CM...I've come to respect you....BUT...we were up by 18going into the 4th qtr....JMU had NO answer for Chase Reynolds...or for Berquist....all you CAA fans PLEASE keep hatin'...WE SUCK!

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 15th, 2008, 06:56 AM
A LOT of homerism going on in this thread. The game was close. Not always but in the 4th it was close. Sure you could argue the safety just as well as you could argue fumbling the ball on kickoff. However, fact is Montana won the game by playing solid football. Cannot take that win away from them. With that said some of the accusations being throw about Webber throwing it to JMU........come on Griz fans (some but not all). Win with some class...

gbhmt
December 15th, 2008, 07:58 AM
A LOT of homerism going on in this thread. The game was close. Not always but in the 4th it was close. Sure you could argue the safety just as well as you could argue fumbling the ball on kickoff. However, fact is Montana won the game by playing solid football. Cannot take that win away from them. With that said some of the accusations being throw about Webber throwing it to JMU........come on Griz fans (some but not all). Win with some class...

No you couldn't. If McGee had fumbled without being touched, then you could argue it as well as the safety. The safety was unprovoked. McGee got rocked.

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 15th, 2008, 08:12 AM
No you couldn't. If McGee had fumbled without being touched, then you could argue it as well as the safety. The safety was unprovoked. McGee got rocked.

Bad snaps happen just as the ball pops out when hit. Part of the game. You can make the comparison.

gbhmt
December 15th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Bad snaps happen just as the ball pops out when hit. Part of the game. You can make the comparison.

Bad snap was unforced.

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 15th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Bad snap was unforced.

The point I was trying to make is that JMU fans should not play the WHAT IF scenario NOR should MONTANA fans. Neither should use mistakes as an "excuse".

gbhmt
December 15th, 2008, 08:19 AM
The point I was trying to make is that JMU fans should not play the WHAT IF scenario NOR should MONTANA fans. Neither should use mistakes as an "excuse".

That'd be good.

JMU Newbill
December 15th, 2008, 08:21 AM
My observations....

Montana won.

JMU lost.

Dudzik is going to be a good QB next year.

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 15th, 2008, 08:29 AM
My observations....

Montana won.

JMU lost.

xnodx

ChickenMan
December 15th, 2008, 08:41 AM
I was very impressed with Montana's offense.. they ran the ball very well and made both big and clutch plays in the passing game. Most importantly they protected the football.. no turnovers. Bergquist and Reynolds were both outstanding the entire game. I was not nearly as impressed with the Griz defense.. JMU was able to run the ball very effectively the entire game.. even without Landers who is by far their biggest offense threat.

I thought that JMU and Montana were pretty evenly matched and that the difference in the game was JMU's four TOs and Montana's ability to turn them into points.

fencer24
December 15th, 2008, 10:06 AM
I think the difference was in the coaching. Montana did not want to give up the big play, and Landers never did make it more than 5 yards without being hit. If Landers had gotten free like Dudzik, it would have been a completely different game.
As to the Spiders, and I only watched the UNI Richmond game, I don't think that their RB is of the same quality, good, but no Rodney Landers, so I think the plan for him will be different. The QB is good and accurate, especially when the defenders are giving a 10 yard cushion like in the last two minutes. As the ESPN commenter said, if you can get Warren to drift, he is not as accurate.
While the Griz may not get quite as much pressure around the ends as the Spiders will to the Griz, the DTs of Montana should still make it interesting.

andy7171
December 15th, 2008, 10:12 AM
After his first series, Dudzik really played well.

xbawlingx

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 15th, 2008, 10:34 AM
After his first series, Dudzik really played well.

xbawlingx

I see your looking forward to that next year already huh?

putter
December 15th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I think the difference was in the coaching. Montana did not want to give up the big play, and Landers never did make it more than 5 yards without being hit. If Landers had gotten free like Dudzik, it would have been a completely different game.
As to the Spiders, and I only watched the UNI Richmond game, I don't think that their RB is of the same quality, good, but no Rodney Landers, so I think the plan for him will be different. The QB is good and accurate, especially when the defenders are giving a 10 yard cushion like in the last two minutes. As the ESPN commenter said, if you can get Warren to drift, he is not as accurate.
While the Griz may not get quite as much pressure around the ends as the Spiders will to the Griz, the DTs of Montana should still make it interesting.

I have to disagree with that, only because, when Dudzik got free, he scored 2 touchdowns. Landers would not have been able to do any better.

BDKJMU
December 16th, 2008, 06:33 PM
My observations....

Montana won.

JMU lost.

Its possible he might be a good backup to Justin Thorpe. We'll see. Either way JMU should have 2 good QBs, which are often needed, as we saw last Fri night.