PDA

View Full Version : 4th qtr Montana/JMU Game...Officiating...

Kabooom
December 12th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Would anyone like to comment on the Officiating performance of the ACC officials...(or wherever they were from)...........NO SMACK INTENDED MODS.....Instant replay at it's worst..

Grizaholic17
December 12th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Who could possibly know if that ball touched that plane? I MEAN COME ON!!!!! It's in the air, it's a camera angle...those looked like his fingers.

I say whatever on the pass review...it was questionable by a long shot...but COME ON!

appsfan
December 12th, 2008, 10:43 PM
IMO, college replay seems to be more open to overturning the call on the field than NFL replay.

griz37
December 12th, 2008, 10:44 PM
The field officials were MVC but the review officials were ACC. Freaking terrible!

mountaineer_dax
December 12th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Would anyone like to comment on the Officiating performance of the ACC officials...(or wherever they were from)...........NO SMACK INTENDED MODS.....Instant replay at it's worst..

they are an acc referee crew. what did you expect?

Referee as a whole has been in a slump for a while now. Great quality refs are VERY hard to find.

GrizLifer
December 12th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Seemed like just another unnecessary intrusion of BCS culture into the true championship calibur of football played here in the FCS.

Retro
December 12th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Both of those calls could have gone either way, especially at the goal line.. The long pass was more clear because he did not have control till after he hit out of bounds... I'm glad they used Replay because the goal is to get the call right and you can't OBJECTIVELY say they missed either call!

Grizaholic17
December 12th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Both of those calls could have gone either way, especially at the goal line.. The long pass was more clear because he did not have control till after he hit out of bounds... I'm glad they used Replay because the goal is to get the call right and you can't OBJECTIVELY say they missed either call!

But you also shouldn't overturn a call without indisputable evidence.

GrizLifer
December 12th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Yes, both calls were pretty close to 50/50 but did either of those replays show absolutely conclusive evidence to overturn the call as is the requirement to do so? I agree that it seems like more calls are overturned in college than in the pros.

Cleets
December 12th, 2008, 10:54 PM

but isn't the point "irrefutable evidence" to over rule the call on the field..? xlolx

Neither was (but it's water under the bridge)
BTW: For what it's worth one of the ACC replay officials is from Virginia xeyebrowx

Check_YOSEF
December 12th, 2008, 10:55 PM
But you also shouldn't overturn a call without indisputable evidence.

I agree. Neither one of those replays showed "indisputable" evidence that the refs on the field blew the calls.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 12th, 2008, 10:56 PM
I know it is my homerism, so cut me a little slack here....

But I think we got jobbed in general on the calls there towards the end, but it didn't effect the outcome of the game. It could have if we didn't get that breakup at the end. I hate seeing the game determined by a call. The Griz forced turnovers all game and played well enough to hold on for the win. Great game, I was going f*&%ing crazy the whole game. Nice season and JMU never quit. I couldn't ask for a better game to watch, even if I lost a few years of my life xpeacex

APPdopted
December 12th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Having graduated from two ACC schools and seeing a lot of football in the conference lately it doesn't surprise me that they'd have questionable controversial calls like that. It's a shame. Good game though despite the calls.

eaglesrthe1
December 12th, 2008, 11:02 PM
About the only thing close that I saw was the 2 pt conversion. Even though I do think that the kid got in, it wasn't enough to overturn, IMO. However, overall I think that the ref's did an absolute fantastic job on calling the game, mostly due to the fact that they kept the rags in their pockets for the most part.

Let'em play, I say.

JohnStOnge
December 12th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Fortunately it didn't affect the bottom line outcome, but I too was perplexed by those two calls being overturned. It didn't look to me like there was "incontrovertible" evidence that the call on the field was wrong in either case. And I did wonder if maybe the ACC replay officials were biased in favor of the team from their area of the country.

Kabooom
December 12th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Yes, both calls were pretty close to 50/50 but did either of those replays show absolutely conclusive evidence to overturn the call as is the requirement to do so? I agree that it seems like more calls are overturned in college than in the pros.

...Spot on GrizLifer....Just goes to show you that the REQUIRED CONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE ....supposedly needed to OVERTURN the call on the field after ...further review..is STILL a SUBJECTIVE matter...Not OBJECTIVE...as most of us have been led to believe.....Subjectivity...A decision based non tangible evidence...used to overturn calls that are supposed to show objective photographic conclusive evidence...contrary to what one would think....Who says you can't turn water into wine?...UNREAL...Magic even..

UNI Pike
December 12th, 2008, 11:10 PM
ACC = CAA for dyslexics. I can see having one of those calls being overturned, but both?

JayJ79
December 12th, 2008, 11:31 PM
ACC = CAA for dyslexics. I can see having one of those calls being overturned, but both?

hey, you can X out another CAA team in your sig. :p
And hopefully another in about 19 hours. xcoolx

ToTheLeft
December 12th, 2008, 11:33 PM
The pass being overturned was the right call. No way was that a catch. Never had control of that ball until the grass with the white paint on it pushed it back up into his arms.

The conversion, on the other hand... not sure what irrefutable evidence there was to back up that call. I mean, I thought he got it in, but that doesn't mean it's irrefutable. That was a 50/50 call at best, not clear enough to overturn.

BlueHen86
December 12th, 2008, 11:39 PM
The pass being overturned was the right call. No way was that a catch. Never had control of that ball until the grass with the white paint on it pushed it back up into his arms.

The conversion, on the other hand... not sure what irrefutable evidence there was to back up that call. I mean, I thought he got it in, but that doesn't mean it's irrefutable. That was a 50/50 call at best, not clear enough to overturn.
Neither call should have been overturned, both replays were inconclusive.

I think the ball did touch the plane, and I think the pass was incomplete, but the on field call disagreed. It's almost as if the replay official was ruling as if his call was the first call, not a review of an existing call.

mvemjsunpx
December 12th, 2008, 11:49 PM
The 2PC play shouldn't have been overturned. It was definitely inconclusive. You could tell Dudzik's knuckle broke the plane, but you couldn't see where the edge of the ball was underneath his hand.

Overturning the Mariani catch was the right call, but there probably should have been PI called on the JMU DB on that play. The ref may have decided not to call it, though, because he thought Mariani made the catch.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 12th, 2008, 11:51 PM
The 2PC play shouldn't have been overturned. It was definitely inconclusive. You could tell Dudzik's knuckle broke the plane, but you couldn't see where the edge of the ball was underneath his hand.

Overturning the Mariani catch was the right call, but there probably should have been PI called on the JMU DB on that play. The ref may have decided not to call it, though, because he thought Mariani made the catch.

Damn good point, I was so pumped about the catch I didn't care. Reps to you :)

Barnstormer
December 13th, 2008, 12:09 AM
I personally think the 2pt play was one of the worst calls ever in the history of life... worse even then Germany's call to fight a war on two fronts. Worse then Mars Inc. turning down the use of M&M's in E.T. Worse then letting John Travolta make Battlefield Earth.

Seriously, you need indisputable evidence, you can't tell me that from that one camera angle it was indisputable evidence... you can't say that...

If you do say that, I will write you a stern letter saying how disappointed I am that you said that.... :)

The long pass... yeah, I'm ok with that one... he didn't really have control and it the ball kinda bounced on the grass. But that 2pt play was in no way indisputable evidence...

It did make for a better game in the end though. ;)

TribeNomad
December 13th, 2008, 06:40 AM
I was really surprised when they overturned the UM catch late in the game.

I have witnessed (in person without the benefit of replay) some horrible calls by CAA officials over the years

hapapp
December 13th, 2008, 08:03 AM

As an interested viewer, but not involved as a fan, I didn't find fault with either call. Overall, I thought it was a well officiated game.

Houndawg
December 13th, 2008, 08:12 AM
As an interested viewer, but not involved as a fan, I didn't find fault with either call. Overall, I thought it was a well officiated game.

I don't now who those guys impersonating MVC refs were.xconfusedx

catamount man
December 13th, 2008, 08:45 AM

Exactly. Give them credit for trying to get it right. xthumbsupx