PDA

View Full Version : NCCU to Join MEAC

CollegeSportsInfo
November 17th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Didn't see a dedicated thread for this topic. If there is already one out there that can't be found by the search function, my bad.

North Carolina Central to Join MEAC (http://collegesportsinfo.com/blog/2005/11/nccu-to-join-meac.html)

- Q

Mr. C
November 17th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Not surprised by this. Been expecting it around the state. Seems we're headed towards divisional play and a championship game in the MEAC.

TexasTerror
November 17th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Beginning transition to I-AA in 2006? What's the deal here?

UCA and NCCU, two strong Div II programs...moving on up!

Winston Salem St next?

rokamortis
November 17th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Beginning transition to I-AA in 2006? What's the deal here?

UCA and NCCU, two strong Div II programs...moving on up!

Winston Salem St next?

Yes actually

WSSU to I-AA (http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031784505140&path=!sports!football!sub!article&s=1037645509262)

"Winston-Salem State is playing its last season in Division II and hopes to be a full-fledged I-AA program by 2009. But who the Rams will play after this season has yet to be determined."

crunifan
November 17th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Damn, how many schools do you people in Carolina have?

catamount man
November 17th, 2005, 06:53 PM
NCCU and WSSU would be welcome non-SoCon opponents in Cullowhee someday. Welcome to Division I! GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Lehigh Football Nation
November 17th, 2005, 07:36 PM
This will be really interesting. They have to go to divisional play, without question, unless some schools decide to bolt for the BSC or OVC. Expect the rhetoric concerning Hampton and Delaware St. leaving the MEAC to ramp up at this point.

rokamortis
November 17th, 2005, 07:38 PM
This will be really interesting. They have to go to divisional play, without question, unless some schools decide to bolt for the BSC or OVC. Expect the rhetoric concerning Hampton and Delaware St. leaving the MEAC to ramp up at this point.

Add SC State to the list as well. There are very strong rumors that if the MEAC ever decides to not participate in the I-AA playoffs that they would look for another conference.

Punchykky
November 17th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Add SC State to the list as well. There are very strong rumors that if the MEAC ever decides to not participate in the I-AA playoffs that they would look for another conference.

I heard the same thing. And I wouldn't blame them one bit, because it's definitely all about the playoffs! :nod:

November 18th, 2005, 12:17 AM
Winston Salem St next?
They announced that last year.

http://i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=58379

AppGuy04
November 18th, 2005, 08:07 AM
The only way we're leaving is if the MEAC decides not to participate in the playoffs. As long as the MEAC still participates in the playoffs, we'll continue to play in the MEAC. However, don't be surprised if A&T tries to move to I-A in about ten years- you heard it here first.

A&T is horrid in football, but pretty good in basketball, but my question is, where would they go, the ACC wouldn't take them, and Conference USA is packed, where do you think they would try to join?

henfan
November 18th, 2005, 08:46 AM
However, don't be surprised if A&T tries to move to I-A in about ten years- you heard it here first.

Hardly new news, Shellshock. That word's about 3 years old now.
http://voternewsnetwork.com/VNN/newsletters/january903.html

Sly Fox
November 18th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Browsing the MEAC board it doesn't take long to realize how seriously the threat of pulling out of the I-AA playoffs is to many members ... particularly Hampton, SC State & NC A&T. As has been mentioned many times before, they would have a natural conference to transition into where they could still hold an auto bid. The Big South always has outstretched arms. :D

CollegeSportsInfo
November 18th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Browsing the MEAC board it doesn't take long to realize how seriously the threat of pulling out of the I-AA playoffs is to many members ... particularly Hampton, SC State & NC A&T. As has been mentioned many times before, they would have a natural conference to transition into where they could still hold an auto bid. The Big South always has outstretched arms. :D

Yeah, the Big South has had the Vacancy light on for some time now. But they also keep that NO SAVANNAH ST. ALLOWED sign in the window.

TypicalTribe
November 18th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Yeah, the Big South has had the Vacancy light on for some time now. But they also keep that NO SAVANNAH ST. ALLOWED sign in the window.

I think those signs are all over the place.

gophoenix
November 18th, 2005, 04:28 PM
A&T is horrid in football, but pretty good in basketball

You are kidding right? Horrid in football the past few years, but not historically. That poll that had App #1 in the Carolina in the past twenty years that App fans pointed out to everyone had A&T at #4. Plus, A&T is still the only team to ever beat a #1 seed in the I-AA playoffs.

Besides, look at their basketball program. They won't even play Elon anymore because we'd school them, again. And they only won what, 2 games 3 years ago? They are horrid in basketball and have a temporary setback in football.

---------
Now, A&T, SC State and Hampton fans are worried. From what I understand, A&T has been looking for a wayout of the MEAC for 2 years now. Hampton for 4 years. And Delaware St has also shown that they aren't happy there.

If A&T goes I-A, you have to do some major fundraising. Good luck.

--------
As for how many schools in NC? This will make 20 DI programs in NC. And I think 8 for SC.

dbackjon
November 18th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Plus, A&T is still the only team to ever beat a #1 seed in the I-AA playoffs.

Wrong - NAU did it to McNeese two years ago.

gophoenix
November 18th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Was McNeese a #1 then? Hmm. Let me re-word it then. A&T is the only #16 seed, which is truely the worst team in the field, to beat a #1.

November 18th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Was McNeese a #1 then? Hmm. Let me re-word it then. A&T is the only #16 seed, which is truely the worst team in the field, to beat a #1.
Is that clarified further as "in the first round"?

tsutiger
November 18th, 2005, 09:04 PM

Just me but A&T wasn't the worst team in the field in 99. They beat FAMU and won the MEAC, but FAMU was ranked ahead of them. That year FAMU was 4 points away from Chatt.

The TSU team that took the field that day was not the same team the went undefeated in the regular season and earned a #1 ranking.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Wrong - NAU did it to McNeese two years ago.
What he meant is that A&T is the only 16 seed to beat a 1 seed. The tournament only seeded four teams the year NAU beat McNeese. NAU definitely wasn't a 16 seed. Bethune-Cookman probably was in reality.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2005, 10:01 PM
Just me but A&T wasn't the worst team in the field in 99. They beat FAMU and won the MEAC, but FAMU was ranked ahead of them. That year FAMU was 4 points away from Chatt.

The TSU team that took the field that day was not the same team the went undefeated in the regular season and earned a #1 ranking.
Tennessee State never should have been ranked No. 1. They were ranked No. 1 because of an undefeated record (sound familiar?), but had not played much of a schedule that year. Appalachian State played the same group of TSU athletes in the first round of the 1998 playoffs and hammered them. TSU lost in the first round of the playoffs two years in a row.

MarkCCU
November 18th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Damn, how many schools do you people in Carolina have?

Hahahaha. There's a bunch, about 13 or so in South Carolina alone. I have no friggin clue about North Carolina. And what do you mean by you people? :p

tsutiger
November 19th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Tennessee State never should have been ranked No. 1. They were ranked No. 1 because of an undefeated record (sound familiar?), but had not played much of a schedule that year. Appalachian State played the same group of TSU athletes in the first round of the 1998 playoffs and hammered them. TSU lost in the first round of the playoffs two years in a row.

We didn't play anyone, but a team we defeated went to the Semi's and lost by 3 on a last second touchdown. :rolleyes: