PDA

View Full Version : How Bad is FCS football this Year?

elcid96
December 12th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Right now it looks like JMU will probably win the NC. While they have been doing great in FCS, they got crushed by DUKE!!! They finished (4-8) and will not be going to a bowl game. Is this the best that FCS can do? If our best team cannot beat the doormat of the FBS, then where does that say about the FCS league this year? I used to believe that the top tier of the FCS could match up with the lower tier of the FBS, but obviously this is not the case this year. I can't remember any big wins this year by FCS over FBS. What happened! xconfusedx

griz37
December 12th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Right now it looks like JMU will probably win the NC.

There about 60 Montana kids in Virginia ready to prove you wrong!

appfan2008
December 12th, 2008, 08:37 AM
A)JMU historically does not do well against FBS schools
B)Duke had just brought in a new coach and i was at that game... the excitement level was unlike any other duke game i had ever been to... to be honest it almost approached asu football atmosphere... the fans, coaches, players, and students were pumped up and excited... emotion can help you go a long way...

Ronbo
December 12th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Look at Montana. We lost 24 seniors, 15 starters, a Buchanan winner, the NFL Rookie kicker that might get in the Pro Bowl, and the best RB in Montana history. We had a 2007 starting CB bail to go back to Oregon, he would have been a soph. Hauck was fretting that we might just end up 6-6.

And we're in the Semis??? xconfusedx

ASUMountaineer
December 12th, 2008, 08:41 AM
xpopcornx

jmualex24
December 12th, 2008, 08:56 AM
1 - Matthews HATES playing FBS so he always runs an extremely basic offense so nobody sees JMU's offense
2 - As someone above me said, it was at Duke who was pumped up for their new coach
3 - Duke isn't that bad. They beat an average SEC team (Vandy) and almost beat a ranked Northwestern team. Also, if their QB hadn't been hurt a good chunk of the season and they didn't play in the conference with the most really good (not great) teams they would have had a much better record, their in-conference record was 1-7. They'll be bowl bound next year.
4 - ASU over Michigan showed these FBS teams that the top FCS teams shouldn't be overlooked. We're may not be able to sneak up on anyone from now on.

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 12th, 2008, 08:58 AM
xpopcornx

xthumbsupx

19Duke97
December 12th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Send this thread to the smack board. I am not going to recount what hundreds have already stated about that game from a JMU perspective. If you are going to judge a team based on one game in a season, then you could pretty much make any team look bad - see example Wofford at ASU. And if you are going to judge a whole Division on one team, then you look at things in a light that is way to black and white for my taste.

mcveyrl
December 12th, 2008, 09:03 AM
In 2004, JMU got beat by West Virginia 45-10 (a good team - I think they won the Big East), nobody complained about the level of I-AA football then.

In 2005, ASU lost to Kansas 38-6 (6-5, I think they went to the Fort Worth Bowl, but not a powerhouse), nobody complained about the level of I-AA football.

In 2006, ASU lost to NC State 23-10 (3-9, no bowl) nobody complained about the level of I-AA football then.

When was the last time, before Michigan, that our champion beat a big FBS/I-A team?

We should've beat Duke. but we didn't. It says little about the level of talent in the entire division compared to other years. I think it's as good, if not better than before. There's a reason the win over Michigan was a big deal...

EDIT: Also want to point out, that there's no guarantee that we're going to be it, but the other teams that played an FBS school lost to them too.

ASUMountaineer
December 12th, 2008, 09:05 AM
xthumbsupx

I am sure this will end up in smack and that guy is on his on, but I'll watch. :D Want some popcorn, I've got plenty to share. xnodx

mcveyrl
December 12th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Look at Montana. We lost 24 seniors, 15 starters, a Buchanan winner, the NFL Rookie kicker that might get in the Pro Bowl, and the best RB in Montana history. We had a 2007 starting CB bail to go back to Oregon, he would have been a soph. Hauck was fretting that we might just end up 6-6. We almost lost to Central Washington...

And we're in the Semis??? xconfusedx

Since this is probably on its way to smack anyway, I fixed this for you. :D

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 12th, 2008, 09:09 AM
I am sure this will end up in smack and that guy is on his on, but I'll watch. :D Want some popcorn, I've got plenty to share. xnodx

Yes, please.

Black and Gold Express
December 12th, 2008, 09:13 AM
New poster, awfully suspicious name...

mcveyrl
December 12th, 2008, 09:16 AM
New poster, awfully suspicious name...

You don't think that....xeekx xeekx :D

elcid96
December 12th, 2008, 09:18 AM
No smack intended here. Just stating the facts.

We had 8 big wins in 2007

Appalachian State 34 Michigan 32
Nicholls State 16 Rice 14
Northern Iowa 24 Iowa State 13
*Southern Illinois 34 Northern Illinois 31
*McNeese State 38 Lousiana Lafayette 17
*New Hampshire 48 Marshall 35
NDSU's wins over Central Michigan and Minnesota

Where are the big wins this year? There was a lot more than App State last year and it just proved how strong the FCS was last year.

mcveyrl
December 12th, 2008, 09:20 AM

Where are the big wins this year? There was a lot more than App State last year and it just proved how strong the FCS was last year.

Does that show how strong the FCS was last year or how weak the FBS was last year? It seems to me 2007 was the exception that proves the rule.

whitey
December 12th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Is it just me or does everyone else really only see 1 big win, not 8?

mcveyrl
December 12th, 2008, 09:21 AM

That's true. Most of those are no greater than UNH over Army or Cal Poly over San Diego State (both wins this year).

whitey
December 12th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Almost all of those teams absolutely sucked in 2007 with the exception of Michigan and if you want to throw MAC champion Central Michigan in there too that's fine.

elcid96
December 12th, 2008, 09:24 AM

I'll agree on the 1 big win, but the point is that the upper tier FCS teams took care of their lower tier FBS opponents. This year, our best FCS teams cannot take care of the lower tier FBS teams.

Ronbo
December 12th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Since this is probably on its way to smack anyway, I fixed this for you. :D

Yep that will be quite an embarrassment to you if you lose tonight.xsmiley_wix

achrist70
I really don't think it is that the FCS is that bad this year, I just don't think they had the favorable matchups they did last year. UNI would have beaten Iowa State this year. App State would have beat Michigan. Both of these teams would have beaten a lot of FBS schools, along with many FCS schools. However, they decided to play really good FBS teams like BYU and LSU.

mcveyrl
I'll agree on the 1 big win, but the point is that the upper tier FCS teams took care of their lower tier FBS opponents. This year, our best FCS teams cannot take care of the lower tier FBS teams.

Which is how it is a lot of years. Did you see my earlier post?

The year before the Michigan win, ASU lost to 3-9 NC State and then spanked the rest of the FCS/I-AA.

mcveyrl
December 12th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Yep that will be quite an embarrassment to you if you lose tonight.xsmiley_wix

Look, we lost to Duke!! Either way, we will both be shamed...

Ronbo
December 12th, 2008, 09:28 AM
#1 reason FCS football has declined. Albany football thinks they are on the upswing. xlolx xlolx xlolx Are they or is everyone else dumbing down?

ASUMountaineer
December 12th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Yes, please.

Here you go, xpopcornx. Got any beer? Never to early to start tailgating.

trusty
December 12th, 2008, 09:44 AM

Does that show how strong the FCS was last year or how weak the FBS was last year? It seems to me 2007 was the exception that proves the rule.

It could also show that the FBS this year did not get caught looking ahead to the next week xtwocentsx

Ud1Hens
December 12th, 2008, 09:50 AM

You are forgetting Delaware beating bowl-bound Navy in 2007. To answer JMU fan's question about the last time a FCS champion beat a FBS team (prior to App. St./Michigan) it may have been in 2003 when Delaware beat Navy again.

GaSouthern
December 12th, 2008, 09:53 AM
As for the op's comments..

Duke is NOT the team they were last year, they have one heck of a coach.

JMU DJ
December 12th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Right now it looks like JMU will probably win the NC. While they have been doing great in FCS, they got crushed by DUKE!!! They finished (4-8) and will not be going to a bowl game. Is this the best that FCS can do? If our best team cannot beat the doormat of the FBS, then where does that say about the FCS league this year? I used to believe that the top tier of the FCS could match up with the lower tier of the FBS, but obviously this is not the case this year. I can't remember any big wins this year by FCS over FBS. What happened! xconfusedx

Schmidt Happens...

Duke finishes season 2-9 (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=242760150)

THE HERD
December 12th, 2008, 10:09 AM

NDSU should have had a win over Wyoming this year. It was 13 to 0 at the half and SU just pi$$ed it down their leg, just as they did the whole season. Western Illinois had Arkansas until a last second TD and I think Arkansas needed to go for on 4th down to get that victory, so there were a few close ones that should have been FCS victories. There were probably others as well, but you are right there were way more FCS wins last year.

Grizalltheway
December 12th, 2008, 10:12 AM
NDSU should have had a win over Wyoming this year. It was 13 to 0 at the half and SU just pi$$ed it down their leg, just as they did the whole season. Western Illinois had Arkansas until a last second TD and I think Arkansas needed to go for on 4th down to get that victory, so there were a few close ones that should have been FCS victories. There were probably others as well, but you are right there were way more FCS wins last year.

You probably should have beaten YSU, too, and look how that worked out. xlolx

RabidRabbit
December 12th, 2008, 10:13 AM
2007 App St over Michigan was posted in EVERY FBS LOCKER Room if playing an FCS team in 2008 with the caption "WILL WE BE THE NEXT MICHIGAN?"

How many D-II's won in 2008 against FCS teams with winning records? xcoolx

Not many....

Look forward to FCS schedules that include no non-counter gamesxthumbsupx

UNH SUPERFAN
December 12th, 2008, 10:21 AM
xpopcornx

Your post is one of the best and funniest I've ever seen on this board! Great job!

Lehigh Football Nation
December 12th, 2008, 10:28 AM

Delaware's win over Navy

When Carnegie Mellon beat Notre Dame in 1926, I wonder if in 1927 CM ans they were lamenting why there were no huge upsets the following year?

The App State thing may have been a once-in-a-lifetime event. Not simply beating FBS teams, which happens every year - I mean beating a (formerly) Untouchable like Michigan. If you take away that win, the FBS win list looks like more than some years, but a heck of a lot more ordinary.

As time goes by, too, the Big 10 wins in 2007 are starting to lose their luster a little. Let's remember that Michigan was 3-8 this year, and lost to Toledo (in the minds of many, no better than a middle-of-the-road FCS school themselves). The Big 10 was down in 2007, and continued to slide in 2008.

Subtract the Big 10 wins, and what do you have? A good win over Navy - but they aren't the same caliber as the best programs in the country, and haven't been for decades. Now you're looking at the regular upsets against MAC, WAC and Sun Belt teams we see yearly. Fewer than usual, but they're still around.

catamount man
December 12th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Let me state that I don't judge FCS football by its win-loss record vs FBS teams. That's unfair to start with considering it's 85 schollies vs 63 schollies.

I base my love for FCS football on the fact that kids graduate and schools win their championships where they should be won, on the field of athletic competition.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 12th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Here you go, xpopcornx. Got any beer? Never to early to start tailgating.

The Pentagon has a zero tolerance policy for alcohol at work and so does my security clearance xbawlingx Now anytime after 4 its game on xsmiley_wix Popcorn is allowed though.

ASUMountaineer
December 12th, 2008, 10:47 AM
The Pentagon has a zero tolerance policy for alcohol at work and so does my security clearance xbawlingx Now anytime after 4 its game on xsmiley_wix Popcorn is allowed though.

xlolx that's good. Didn't know you worked there or I wouldn't have offered. My wife's uncle used to work there, think he still does. I work for local government so no "adult beverages" for me either, unlike my days doing investments, I had to entertain a lot of "clients." xsmiley_wix

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 12th, 2008, 10:52 AM
xlolx that's good. Didn't know you worked there or I wouldn't have offered. My wife's uncle used to work there, think he still does. I work for local government so no "adult beverages" for me either, unlike my days doing investments, I had to entertain a lot of "clients." xsmiley_wix

I could really use a drink right now. I'm so anxious to get this game underway its practically making me worthless at work.

89Hen
December 12th, 2008, 10:52 AM
No offense el cid, but this whole thread is worthless. Teams rarely go undefeated. AppSt lost to NCSt (3-9) in 2006 before winning the title. Meaningless. xcoffeex

ASUMountaineer
December 12th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Your post is one of the best and funniest I've ever seen on this board! Great job!

xeyebrowx ok.

ASUMountaineer
December 12th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I could really use a drink right now. I'm so anxious to get this game underway its practically making me worthless at work.

Enjoy that feeling, it doesn't come often. I had someone ask me yesterday what I was doing this weekend. I said I didn't know, I've had something planned the last three years. I will be watching real men play football tonight and tomorrow...the FCS playoffs. xnodx

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 12th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Enjoy that feeling, it doesn't come often. I had someone ask me yesterday what I was doing this weekend. I said I didn't know, I've had something planned the last three years. I will be watching real men play football tonight and tomorrow...the FCS playoffs. xnodx

Hopefully pulling for yours truly and his team of course xrotatehx IS IT GAME TIME YET???!!!

HenZoneNation
December 12th, 2008, 10:59 AM
The "Truth" is we should get defeated by FBS teams. The shere number of scholarship players they have on their rosters puts us at a very large disadvantage. Every transfer from FBS to FCS says the same thing "the degree of skill between starting players on each level is not that different, it's the depth at the postions that kills us." It's true. At our level you lose one or two key guys, or if a skill player you were counting on under-achieves you could be done for the season. Their level they guys who can come in and fill the roles and the degree of talent changes very little.

Last year was awesome for us but we shouldn't count on that. It was the exception to the rule and not the norm. Kinda like if 8 or 9 Division II schools defeated FCS teams in one year. Not gonna happen often.

This was a great year for college football...even if my Hens got murdered.

Good luck Montana.

ASUMountaineer
December 12th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Hopefully pulling for yours truly and his team of course xrotatehx IS IT GAME TIME YET???!!!

Well, I want the team who plays best to win, as it should be. I don't really have a preference. Most would like to see the team(s) that beat them win so they can say their team lost to the best. I guess if I were to be sentimental I'd pull for UNI to win it all because they are by far the best team to never win the FCS NC. However, I still hold a grudge against Montana for 2000. So...I guess tonight I would be ok with JMU winning, but if UNI wins tomorrow...I may have to go for them, but either way there will be a ***** load of purple in Chatty if that happens. xlolx

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 12th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Well, I want the team who plays best to win, as it should be. I don't really have a preference. Most would like to see the team(s) that beat them win so they can say their team lost to the best. I guess if I were to be sentimental I'd pull for UNI to win it all because they are by far the best team to never win the FCS NC. However, I still hold a grudge against Montana for 2000. So...I guess tonight I would be ok with JMU winning, but if UNI wins tomorrow...I may have to go for them, but either way there will be a ***** load of purple in Chatty if that happens. xlolx

Start wearing purple, wearing purple............xthumbsupx

aust42
December 12th, 2008, 12:14 PM

Top 1AA teams were embarrassing this year vs 1A. JMU embarrasses 1AA every single year getting slaughtered by 1A teams. Getting crushed by Duke was pathetic. Richmond got shut out by Virginia 16-0 but squandered several opportunities to score. Northern Iowa got slaughtered by BYU. Montana did not play 1A this year. Last year all four 1AA teams in the semi's had 1A wins on their resumes.

Maybe next year will be better. Delaware plays Navy so there's at least one win. xsmiley_wix

elcid96
December 12th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Top 1AA teams were embarrassing this year vs 1A. JMU embarrasses 1AA every single year getting slaughtered by 1A teams. Getting crushed by Duke was pathetic. Richmond got shut out by Virginia 16-0 but squandered several opportunities to score. Northern Iowa got slaughtered by BYU. Montana did not play 1A this year. Last year all four 1AA teams in the semi's had 1A wins on their resumes.

Maybe next year will be better. Delaware plays Navy so there's at least one win. xsmiley_wix

xthumbsupx

HenZoneNation
December 12th, 2008, 12:19 PM
UD lost 14-7 to a Maryland team that was ranked this year. Had we not made some stupid mistakes (fair catching the ball on the 1 yardline and throwing to the other team on a consistant basis) we had that victory.

That a QB, two RB''s, fewer injuries, an good OC, and an Oline, and we would have had a great season. xeyebrowx

Hell we were three or four plane crashes in our division away from almost making the playoffs. xthumbsupx

Lehigh Football Nation
December 12th, 2008, 12:26 PM

You're kidding, right? BYU is 10-2 and made bowl plans more than a month ago. Virginia and Duke are not great teams but top to bottom the ACC is a damned strong conference. Every other member of the conference has a .500 record or better.

Somehow shopping the idea that Delaware beating Navy would make things "better' is simply comical. You remember, Navy. One of those "awful" teams that lost to Duke this year. :p

Ronin
December 12th, 2008, 12:46 PM
In 2004, JMU got beat by West Virginia 45-10 (a good team - I think they won the Big East), nobody complained about the level of I-AA football then.

In 2005, ASU lost to Kansas 38-6 (6-5, I think they went to the Fort Worth Bowl, but not a powerhouse), nobody complained about the level of I-AA football.

In 2006, ASU lost to NC State 23-10 (3-9, no bowl) nobody complained about the level of I-AA football then.

When was the last time, before Michigan, that our champion beat a big FBS/I-A team?

We should've beat Duke. but we didn't. It says little about the level of talent in the entire division compared to other years. I think it's as good, if not better than before. There's a reason the win over Michigan was a big deal...

EDIT: Also want to point out, that there's no guarantee that we're going to be it, but the other teams that played an FBS school lost to them too.

So true...

How did others fair this year? UNI lost to BYU (#14) down only 10 starting the 4th.

Dukes82
December 12th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Somehow shopping the idea that Delaware beating Navy would make things "better' is simply comical. You remember, Navy. One of those "awful" teams that lost to Duke this year. :p

Yes and JMU used to regularly beat Navy until Navy canceled the series because they got tired of getting beat by a IAA team.

Wow, and I used to think that Delaware fans were good sports had some class. I guess I will change my mind about that now. You would think they would support the teams from their conference but they must just be bitter and resentful. Too bad.

Native
December 12th, 2008, 01:13 PM
xpopcornx

Yeah, me too, dangit! xpopcornx xbawlingx xrolleyesx xpopcornx

ASUMountaineer
December 12th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Yeah, me too, dangit! xpopcornx xbawlingx xrolleyesx xpopcornx

It's good today, with just the right amount of extra butter. xlolx

mcveyrl
December 12th, 2008, 01:14 PM
So true...

How did others fair this year? UNI lost to BYU (#14) down only 10 starting the 4th.

I agree that UNI had an impressive showing against BYU, but the start of the post seemed to indicate that because we didn't have a big win against FBS the level of football was bad in FCS...

DFW HOYA
December 12th, 2008, 01:19 PM
I wouldn't place much worry over the Duke game. Yesterday's doormat could be tomorrow's bowl team--ask Oregon State, Buffalo, Rice, etc.

WOCO
December 12th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Wofford was within 2 1/2 minutes of beating South Carolina this year. South Carolina had to go for it on 4th and 2 with 2 1/2 minutes left in the game on their 29 and only up by 3 to beat us. They got 3 yards. If we get that stop we probably put together a 29 yard drive and win.

GrizFamily
December 12th, 2008, 05:58 PM

I totally get you on that one. Losses in the play-offs really hurt. We have 17 of them and each time it hurts. Sometimes more than others. Last year was tough because we under achieved. 2004 and 2000 hurt because we came so close. But in time you will be able to look back on that amazing 3 year run with greater and greater pride. And you should. Props to you, your fans and your football program.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 12th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Wofford was within 2 1/2 minutes of beating South Carolina this year. South Carolina had to go for it on 4th and 2 with 2 1/2 minutes left in the game on their 29 and only up by 3 to beat us. They got 3 yards. If we get that stop we probably put together a 29 yard drive and win.

Shoulda woulda coulda. EWU was up on Colorado before we gave them the game complete with gift wrapping.

We also hung with Tech through 3 quarters. So what? FCS didn't get any "signature" wins against FBS, but we were competitive. That's all that matters in my eyes.

nmatsen
December 12th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Is it okay if you are must "competitive" tonight and don't win?

No, this is not horse shoes. Win.

ASUMountaineer
December 12th, 2008, 09:37 PM
I totally get you on that one. Losses in the play-offs really hurt. We have 17 of them and each time it hurts. Sometimes more than others. Last year was tough because we under achieved. 2004 and 2000 hurt because we came so close. But in time you will be able to look back on that amazing 3 year run with greater and greater pride. And you should. Props to you, your fans and your football program.

That one hurt a bit for us too. ;)

grizband
December 12th, 2008, 11:44 PM
That one hurt a bit for us too. ;)
One of the best endings in Wa-Griz history!!! xsmiley_wix

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 12th, 2008, 11:45 PM

So umm we underachieved and were soooooooooo close. xbawlingx

T-Dawg95
December 13th, 2008, 12:55 AM
Shoulda woulda coulda. EWU was up on Colorado before we gave them the game complete with gift wrapping.

We also hung with Tech through 3 quarters. So what? FCS didn't get any "signature" wins against FBS, but we were competitive. That's all that matters in my eyes.

I think the point he's making is the 'depth' issue. 16-13 with 2:30 left, the team with more depth on the lines should make the first down. Obviously, SC did. It still shows that there is not as much of a difference between levels on the basis of raw skill.

Mouse
December 13th, 2008, 06:19 AM
I swear some people would rather beat an FBS team than win a FCS national championship