PDA

View Full Version : CSN West: It Will Happen Again -- An All West Final

CSN-info
December 11th, 2008, 08:31 PM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/skins/andreas_01/img/82529_CSNWest.JPG
By Kent Schmidt, CSN West Columnist
My dream of two teams west of the Mississippi River meeting in the Division I national championship game is a real possibility. Both Montana and Northern Iowa, with wins this weekend, will advance to Chattanooga. It would be only the second time in NCAA Division I football history that two West teams meet for the championship, the first being in 1984 when Montana State beat Louisiana Tech.Read more ... http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=csn-west-it-will-happen-again-an-all-wes&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 11th, 2008, 08:52 PM
West Coast Bias. Ugh.

CatMom07
December 11th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Don't think UNI is exactly west coast (at least not the last time I checked a map)

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 11th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Yeah, you need to get a new map and check it.

grizband
December 11th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Don't think UNI is exactly west coast (at least not the last time I checked a map)
True, but in relation to FCS football, UNI is "out west."

Screamin_Eagle174
December 11th, 2008, 10:04 PM
West Coast Bias. Ugh.

Give me a break. There's so much more East Coast bias on this site because a majority of FCS teams are in the East. Western teams are almost always the underdog.

CatMom07
December 11th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Oh right, forgot about all those westerns set in Iowa. What was that famous one... "The Music Man?"

I am a native East Coaster but I am not that dense to think of Iowa as WEST. FCS or not.

I think the CAA and a few others need a geography lesson. The Mississippi River is not the center of the US, it's a bit WEST of that. Therefore, that would also be the divide for the FCS. In true geographic terms, UNI is in the East.

(I know, I'm over-working this)

The Geographical Center of the United States (contiguous 48) is located about two miles northwest of Lebanon, Kansas. Take US Highway 281 north 1 mile, and turn west one mile on K-191 to the maker that has been erected at the end of the paved road. The actual center is about a half mile away in the center of a former hog farm.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 11th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Please lighten up folks. xpeacex

Ronbo
December 11th, 2008, 10:11 PM

He didn't say West Coast. I believe Iowa is termed Midwest. I think they aren't far from the famous Western towns of Deadwood, S.D. where Wild Bill Hickok was gunned down and Northfield, Mn. where Jesse James was ambushed.

CatMom07
December 11th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Please lighten up folks. xpeacex

Hey, I'm just having some fun here.

CatMom07
December 11th, 2008, 10:19 PM
He didn't say West Coast. I believe Iowa is termed Midwest. I think they aren't far from the famous Western towns of Deadwood, S.D. where Wild Bill Hickok was gunned down and Northfield, Mn. where Jesse James was ambushed.

And I'm from southern NJ, about 22 miles from the Cradle of Liberty (Liberty Bell and all that) but I don't hear much mention about NJ dairy farms when people think about the Revolutionary War. xlolx xthumbsupx

(what this has to do with anything is beyond me)

CatMom07
December 11th, 2008, 10:20 PM
So back to the thread, An all west final is fine by me.... thank you very mcuh.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 11th, 2008, 10:22 PM
So back to the thread, An all west final is fine by me.... thank you very mcuh.

/me crosses his fingers xpeacex

FerociousCat
December 11th, 2008, 10:22 PM
http://www.johnwaynebirthplace.org/images/New_BP_Logo.jpg

Big Al
December 11th, 2008, 10:31 PM
It never ceased to amaze me living in Utah for 8 years how everything east of the state line was referred to as "out east". There was no midwest in their vocabulary.

PS - John Wayne was a draft-dodging wuss who I don't like to claim as an Iowan. I much prefer Wyatt Earp or Fred Grandy ("Gopher" on The Love Boat). ;D

Ronbo
December 11th, 2008, 10:34 PM
I think any place that was part of the Wild West like MN, ND, SD, IA, NE, and MO should be included with TX, OK, AZ, UT, NV, CA, CO, WY, and MT as part of that piece of American history.

CatMom07
December 11th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Well, I live in TX now and they don't think they are part of American History - just their own

and I'll leave it there as I won't turn this into a history debate.

Go Grizz!!!

FerociousCat
December 11th, 2008, 10:43 PM
PS - John Wayne was a draft-dodging wuss who I don't like to claim as an Iowan. I much prefer Wyatt Earp or Fred Grandy ("Gopher" on The Love Boat). ;D

Didn't John Wayne move west cause he couldn't handle the HARSH Iowa climate...WUSSY!

I'm supposedly related to the coward Robert Ford who assassinated Jesse Jamesxrolleyesx
So watch out Richmond....I might sneak up on ya & pop a cap!:D

igo4uni
December 11th, 2008, 10:48 PM
UNI is west of the mighty Mississippi by 90 miles, but I would consider us Midwest, not West. Definitely not east, though.

Syntax Error
December 11th, 2008, 11:10 PM
... I am not that dense to think of Iowa as WEST. FCS or not...hmmmm "two teams west of the Mississippi River" seems more factual than saying UMontana is "West coast"

SeattleGriz
December 11th, 2008, 11:12 PM
I think he said West because he covers the West for CSN, and UNI is his responsibility. Therefore, Kent would consider them West.

achrist70
December 11th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Possibly the greatest article ever written!

URMite
December 11th, 2008, 11:25 PM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/skins/andreas_01/img/82529_CSNWest.JPG
By Kent Schmidt, CSN West ColumnistRead more ... http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=csn-west-it-will-happen-again-an-all-wes&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Thank god, I was beginning to worry that the CAA might get cocky or something, lol.

As for the definition of west debate, where is half the US population east of you and half west? (since we have already determined land mass)

Syntax Error
December 11th, 2008, 11:43 PM
At least the championship game will be in the FCS West!

CrunchGriz
December 11th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Thank god, I was beginning to worry that the CAA might get cocky or something, lol.

As for the definition of west debate, where is half the US population east of you and half west? (since we have already determined land mass)

As of the 2000 Census (I believe the latest determination of the median of population), the following map shows the median point (the point which shows where half of the population exists both east-west and north-south of it):

Median of Population - East/West and North/South - 2000 (http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/vis/a000000/a003100/a003164/popmedian-pre.png)

CatMom07
December 11th, 2008, 11:59 PM

Good gravy,you guys are getting all too serious about this thing. East/West is a geographic term, not a population demographic: which are divided up into 4 regions. And the South region includes TX and OK, so it will take some research to figure it out (which I think, on preliminary research, would surprise you).
Sides, I'm in Central Texas so everything is either half east or half west of me. Not a fair question.:p

Mean Center of US Population in 2000 was Phelps County, MO, but it has continued to shift west in the past 7 years (last figures available have TX with a 12.7 pop increase since 2000)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_center_of_United_States_population

now, can we stop all this and just go with it? I was just being facitious to start with... geez.

Syntax Error
December 12th, 2008, 12:19 AM
Population has nothing to do with FCS proximity, it is where the schools are and Texas is definitely WEST in the FCS. xnodx :)

UNIFanSince1983
December 12th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Don't trust Texans as according to them there is only one state in the union anyways...

Syntax Error
December 13th, 2008, 05:52 AM
halfway there

Houndawg
December 13th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Don't trust Texans as according to them there is only one state in the union anyways...

I have an uncle in Texas City whose watch plays Dixie every hour on the hour. And not just a few bars - the whole freaking song.

kalm
December 13th, 2008, 08:15 AM
The "west" begins when you are within sight of the Rocky Mountains. If you want to be more accurate than that regionalize it further (PNW, Mountain, Midwest, etc.)

Describing UNI and UM as "west" in the title to the thread is geographically meaningless and inaccurate.

Blue42
December 13th, 2008, 10:10 AM
I think the point is that UNI is "not an east coast team".

Of course they are a MIDwestern team. From a personnel standpoint, UNI has historically had VERY few players from the eastern states...other than Florida. They are overwhelmingly from Iowa and the bordering states of Mn, Ill, Mo, Wisc, Neb.

I can remember a couple Jersey guys. Other than that, Ohio is about as far east as they've pulled from.

semobison
December 13th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Iowa is in the Midwest! Ive been there!! Good luck today Panthers!

80 Griz
December 13th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Didn't John Wayne move west cause he couldn't handle the HARSH Iowa climate...WUSSY!

I'm supposedly related to the coward Robert Ford who assassinated Jesse Jamesxrolleyesx
So watch out Richmond....I might sneak up on ya & pop a cap!:D

It's a funny thing you would say that since UNI plays in a DOME

MacThor
December 13th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Northern Iowa 38, Richmond 28

Has he even watched a Spider game this season? Barring OT, if the total goes over 66, I'll eat a live spider.

Syntax Error
December 13th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Well, that's that... UNI came up short, great season for them. Richmond finished it.

Should be a great champ game.

MacThor
December 13th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Well he was just a little bit off......