PDA

View Full Version : Andy Talley: JMU Will Beat Montana

Lehigh Football Nation
December 11th, 2008, 01:23 PM
http://hamptonroads.com/2008/12/downsizing-may-yield-better-product-during-bowl-season

After his team lost to CAA rival James Madison in Saturday's Football Championship Subdivision quarterfinal game, Villanova coach Andy Talley was asked how the Dukes would fare in Friday night's semifinal.

"They'll beat Montana," he said. "That's a slam dunk for them. We would have beaten Montana. Our league is so strong. Richmond is good, we're good."

The facts speak for themselves. Richmond travels to Northern Iowa for Saturday's semifinal after going on the road and routing I-AA defending champ Appalachian State 33-13.

The stunner reinforced the CAA's reputation for deep depth.

Is the Colonial the country's strongest I-AA football conference?

That's a slam dunk.

xeyebrowx

Talley is obviously on the Griz bandwagon, too.

xlolx xnodx

Tod
December 11th, 2008, 01:25 PM
It's a short jump from confidence to cockiness. If Montana wins, then I would assume that that means we would have beaten 'Nova and Richmond, too, right? xeyebrowx

Black and Gold Express
December 11th, 2008, 01:32 PM
It's a short jump from confidence to cockiness. If Montana wins, then I would assume that that means we would have beaten 'Nova and Richmond, too, right? xeyebrowx

You may get the chance to beat 2 of them after you beat JMU (xthumbsupx) and if UR advances.

Tod
December 11th, 2008, 01:37 PM
You may get the chance to beat 2 of them after you beat JMU (xthumbsupx) and if UR advances.

True! xnodx

jmufan999
December 11th, 2008, 01:38 PM
first of all, wasn't this quote from sunday? this is old news... i know people like to talk about "bulletin board material"... it's hogwash. the better team will win friday, whoever that is. i don't care what Talley said (not a slam on the thread at all, just saying i don't think it will make a difference. it's the playoffs and the loser goes home. neither team will be able to POSSIBLY play any harder than they already would).

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 11th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Andy Talley is never shy about voicing his opinion. He's spoken his mind on the PL a number of times.

Dukes82
December 11th, 2008, 01:44 PM

It might be considered "cocky" if it had been Mathews saying that but Talley is Villanova's coach not ours.

WVAPPmountaineer
December 11th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Gee is this some type of earth-shattering prediction??? - what anyone expect a CAA coach to say? ====

Proud Griz Man
December 11th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Maybe Andy Talley knows all about FCS football out here in the west?

http://alnglenn.home.comcast.net/sportpic/100106/IMGP4904.jpg

DuckDuckGriz
December 11th, 2008, 02:33 PM
I am confident that Villanova would not survive WGS. It would be like when UNH came in and got smashed in 04.

Woulda coulda shoulda. This is not smack coming from JMU, but I am sure it can still be bulletin board material. This is the first time in a long time I can remember Montana being such an underdog.

GolfingGriz
December 11th, 2008, 02:44 PM
For what its worth, McBride in so many words thought that Montana would win the championship. He said his team was good enough to win it all. A reporter asked if that meant Montana would now win it all. I think he said "Sure."

DuckDuckGriz
December 11th, 2008, 02:59 PM
For what its worth, McBride in so many words thought that Montana would win the championship. He said his team was good enough to win it all. A reporter asked if that meant Montana would now win it all. I think he said "Sure."

I agree and I thought McBride's comments that the team that won UM-Weber will win the national championship were just as smack-like material as the Nova coaches'.

Just sounds like bitter berries in defeat on both sides.

GrizFamily
December 11th, 2008, 03:00 PM
xcoffeex

putter
December 11th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I agree and I thought McBride's comments that the team that won UM-Weber will win the national championship were just as smack-like material as the Nova coaches'.

Just sounds like bitter berries in defeat on both sides.

But remember, he also said that Montana was not as good as Cal Poly either. Talley must be right....xeyebrowx

Hoyadestroya85
December 11th, 2008, 03:29 PM
If JMU doesn't win the National championship.. i'd be shocked
Coach T was perfectly in his bounds saying this. There is no question the CAA was the best league this year and JMU went undefeated. Go Dukes!

Grizalltheway
December 11th, 2008, 03:31 PM

No, it'll just mean that we got unbelievably lucky, and JMU would still win 999,999 times out of 1 million. xrolleyesx

Tod
December 11th, 2008, 03:34 PM
It might be considered "cocky" if it had been Mathews saying that but Talley is Villanova's coach not ours.

I know that. I consider is cocky.

BlueHen86
December 11th, 2008, 03:36 PM
I think Talleys statements were on the cocky side.
At the same time, if Montana needs bulletin board material to get up for this game, they have bigger problems than worrying about Andy Talley's opinion.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 11th, 2008, 03:37 PM
If JMU doesn't win the National championship.. i'd be shocked
Coach T was perfectly in his bounds saying this. There is no question the CAA was the best league this year and JMU went undefeated. Go Dukes!

All hail the mighty CAA, the rest of us should drop to I-AAA football xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

BlueHen86
December 11th, 2008, 03:42 PM
All hail the mighty CAA, the rest of us should drop to I-AAA football xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

As far as the CAA is concerned, you already have.:p

J/K - should be a good game tomorrow.xthumbsupx

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 11th, 2008, 03:51 PM
J/K - should be a good game tomorrow.xthumbsupx

That is what I expect, a good hard fought game. In case JMU and Richmond have forgotten, it will be AGS or AGF I guess tomorrow night xnodx

JohnStOnge
December 11th, 2008, 06:45 PM
the better team will win friday, whoever that is. .

Not necessarily. I think that anybody who really stops and thinks about it realizes that the better team does not always win.

GrizRchattybound
December 11th, 2008, 07:08 PM
One Word:

Duke

Hansel
December 11th, 2008, 07:13 PM
CAA zealots remind me of the O'doyle clan... right before they ran off the cliff

madisonfan87
December 11th, 2008, 07:16 PM
One Word:

Duke

Two words:
Who cares?

JMad03
December 11th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I guess we should bring up your I-AA loss to Weber State in the Regular season then. Or how about those close Div II wins you had?
We lost our first game and got it out of our system.

None of it means squat come tomorrow.

Cleets
December 11th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Have either one of these teams blown anybody out recently..?
It's tough to get this far
I expect this game will be close - and when #1 at home plays #4 they should be favored

BUT: Either team will have to play a good game to win it... xnodx

Peems
December 13th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Bump

I just had to do it:D

neg rep me if you must

ngineer
December 13th, 2008, 07:56 AM
He forgot the game is played on the field and not on paper...and, THAT, is the final 'tally'...;) :D

Houndawg
December 13th, 2008, 08:13 AM
He forgot the game is played on the field and not on paper...and, THAT, is the final 'tally'...;) :D

He also got himself a new nickname.xnodx

Blue42
December 13th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Congratulations Coach Tally on the silliest quote of the season.

I don't know if the CAA is the deepest conference or not, but they certainly are the most adept at self-promotion.

If UNI takes down Richmond today, all that chest pounding is going to look really foolish. Frankly it already does.

The Moody1
December 13th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Congratulations Coach Tally on the silliest quote of the season.

I don't know if the CAA is the deepest conference or not, but they certainly are the most adept at self-promotion.

If UNI takes down Richmond today, all that chest pounding is going to look really foolish. Frankly it already does.

Go Panthers!

Henny
December 13th, 2008, 10:26 AM
The self promotion is a Micky/JMU, Andy 'Nova thing, always has been. No other coach in the CAA makes comments even close to what comes out of these guys mouths.

BTW UNI guys watch out for the Spiders. I do think they are the most complete team in the CAA. They also dont shoot themselves in the foot and play solid defense.

gofurman
December 13th, 2008, 10:44 AM

These CAA guys are getting a little cocky (or have been ? yeah, you Mickey Matthews)... Why can't they play and then show some humility?

What IF, and say IF, they send 5 teams to the playoffs and NONE get to the NC game? Was the CAA overrated?

Interesting that - for the first time I recall in this playoff - the AWAY team is favored today. UNis supposed to lose by 7 according to those with money.

gofurman
December 13th, 2008, 10:47 AM
The self promotion is a Micky/JMU, Andy 'Nova thing, always has been. No other coach in the CAA makes comments even close to what comes out of these guys mouths.

BTW UNI guys watch out for the Spiders. I do think they are the most complete team in the CAA. They also dont shoot themselves in the foot and play solid defense.

I don't know - UD coach was borderline rude to Furman after losing. Something to the effect of how UD was a lot better or the better team lost? Don't mean that as smack towards you personally, just a distinct recollection fromt the Furman/UD game post-gam interview.

Most coaches just give credit to the other program and move on to looking at the next game. He seemed rather bitter.

mlbowl
December 13th, 2008, 10:49 AM

Here we go...JMU shot themselvesxrolleyesx

Houndawg
December 13th, 2008, 10:53 AM
These CAA guys are getting a little cocky (or have been ? yeah, you Mickey Matthews)... Why can't they play and then show some humility?

What IF, and say IF, they send 5 teams to the playoffs and NONE get to the NC game? Was the CAA overrated?

Interesting that - for the first time I recall in this playoff - the AWAY team is favored today. UNis supposed to lose by 7 according to those with money.

xlolx In that case I'd say they were trying to develop a tradition, although to be fair last year they actually got one of their five teams to the NC game (on the strength of a lineman downfield penalty negating a TD).

MacThor
December 13th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Mike London has shown nothing but respect for his opponents. Do not blanket the entire CAA for their few loudmouth coaches.

GrizRchattybound
December 13th, 2008, 12:37 PM
JMU and Villanova coaches needed to just take a bite of that STFU sandwich after the game.

Jeepers, that is embarrassing for all of College Football listening to these guys blab after their losses.

Mickey said he could have got all the yards they needed if he was playing QB. I'll take that bet smackey,,and the Nova coach blabbing about the teams in the West being sub-par.

Fock You too JoeBoo!

Nextttttttttt!

ngineer
December 13th, 2008, 12:53 PM
JMU and Villanova coaches needed to just take a bite of that STFU sandwich after the game.

Jeepers, that is embarrassing for all of College Football listening to these guys blab after their losses.

Mickey said he could have got all the yards they needed if he was playing QB. I'll take that bet smackey,,and the Nova coach blabbing about the teams in the West being sub-par.

Fock You too JoeBoo!

Nextttttttttt!

Talley has been that way for years. He poor-mouthed us back in 2006 when Lehigh beat Villanova,in their house no less, the we weren't deserving of the win. Yes, he's won a bunch of games, but that does not make him a winner.

Tubby Raymond
December 13th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Andy Talley is never shy about voicing his opinion. He's spoken his mind on the PL a number of times.

Andy is an as$hole, always hasbeen always will be xthumbsupx