PDA

View Full Version : 12-game schedule for I-A only

UAalum72
April 28th, 2005, 06:44 PM
NCAA Div. I Board of Directors voted to allow a 12-game schedule, but all three I-AA reps on the board voted against, so I-AA will still be limited to 11 games.
http://www2.ncaa.org/media_and_events/association_news/association_updates/2005/april/0428_12thgame.html

They adopted the leg. to count I-A vs. I-AA games towards bowl eligibility every year. Requirement for I-A will be 15K average actual attendance, or 15K paid in any one year, in a rolling 2-year period.

Full report will be in NCAA News on May 9

Lehigh Football Nation
April 28th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Board members also took other actions regarding Division I-AA proposals they agreed to consider earlier in conjunction with revising the attendance criterion. One was to adopt emergency legislation allowing Division I-A teams to count one win each year against a Division I-AA opponent for bowl eligibility beginning with the 2005 season.This not only provides more incentive for competition between the two subdivisions, but it probably will increase the number of bowl-eligible I-A teams as well.

Did we get the whole package, e.g. more money for I-AA playoffs?

TexasTerror
April 28th, 2005, 09:06 PM
I can understand us being limited to 11 games. We do have a playoffs after all, however the fact I-As can have 12 games will be great for I-AA teams...

mainejeff
April 28th, 2005, 10:10 PM
Delaware's Edgar Johnson must be on that committee.

yomama
April 28th, 2005, 10:16 PM
I-AAs still have a few opportunities for 12-game seasons. The next will be 2008.

It's better than nothing.

Tod
April 28th, 2005, 11:10 PM
I-AAs still have a few opportunities for 12-game seasons. The next will be 2008.

I never quite understood that. Is it a thing where it depends on how many Saturdays fall between two dates?

89Hen
April 29th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Interesting. I wonder how this will impact the number of I-A vs I-AA games in 2006. I'm thinking more I-A teams already had 11 games scheduled, but not all I-AA so there will still be more, but not as many as if I-AA allowed 12.

TexasTerror
April 29th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Wouldn't it hurt quite a few schools financially if there was one more I-AA game? Not all schools can get the paydays from I-A schools and they would have to bring in a Div II team or do an inter-sectional I-AA game, which costs money...

arkstfan
April 29th, 2005, 08:37 AM
This is probably good for I-AA.

The 11 game schedule creates 393 non-conference games. Now a lot of those games are LOCKED in, for example Army-Navy, Georgia-Georgia Tech, South Carolina - Clemson, etc.

The 12 game schedule takes I-A to 512 games to fill.

It's harder to know just how many I-AA's award enough equivalencies to count as a I-A opponent. I'd guess that there would be between 260 and 285 countable non-conference games available in I-AA.

By the time you throw in the locked in games, the other games against I-AA, the Division II or NAIA tune-ups and you are a looking at a pretty small inventory vs. an increased demand from I-A.

Not going to 12 games in I-AA will keep the price of guarantees inflated more than if I-AA had added another 70 or so games to inventory. That is supposed to be the point isn't it? Let those I-AA's that want to go pursue a check do so with the least amount of intereference possible?

Going to 12 meant absolutely no open date unless the playoffs were pushed back a week or unless I-AA was allowed to start a week earlier than I-A, like Division II does.

89rabbit
April 29th, 2005, 08:47 AM
I can understand us being limited to 11 games. We do have a playoffs after all, however the fact I-As can have 12 games will be great for I-AA teams...

I think so too. :D

Lehigh Football Nation
April 29th, 2005, 09:41 AM

The 11 game schedule creates 393 non-conference games. Now a lot of those games are LOCKED in, for example Army-Navy, Georgia-Georgia Tech, South Carolina - Clemson, etc.

It's harder to know just how many I-AA's award enough equivalencies to count as a I-A opponent. I'd guess that there would be between 260 and 285 countable non-conference games available in I-AA.

I'm assuming almost all of the I-AA playoff confereces are covered, including the Big South and Great West. I think that "transitional" schools such as Northern Colorado, etc. are not until they're full-fledged I-AAs - though for them that should happen in a year or two.

The interesting ones involve the Ivies and Patriot. I *think* that the upper echelon of PL schools qualify since they have enough equivalencies, but in the case of G'Town and HC, I'm not sure. The Ivies I think don't have equivalencies at all, so I think they don't benefit. Furthermore, they stubbornly stick to a 10-game schedule, which leaves little room for extra games anyway.

By the time you throw in the locked in games, the other games against I-AA, the Division II or NAIA tune-ups and you are a looking at a pretty small inventory vs. an increased demand from I-A.

Not going to 12 games in I-AA will keep the price of guarantees inflated more than if I-AA had added another 70 or so games to inventory. That is supposed to be the point isn't it? Let those I-AA's that want to go pursue a check do so with the least amount of intereference possible?

Going to 12 meant absolutely no open date unless the playoffs were pushed back a week or unless I-AA was allowed to start a week earlier than I-A, like Division II does.

I really like your post arkstfan, since it uses economic analysis well. Basically: I-A now has a bigger demand to fill games. I-AA has the same supply that it did before. So not only should there be higher demand for I-AA services, the size of guarantees should go up as well.

Libertine
April 29th, 2005, 09:48 AM
I earlier posted this in the wrong thread:

Typical NCAA. They open up the door to a 12-game schedule for I-A supposedly to allow smaller schools to increase home-gate revenue and then slam the door in the faces of the I-AA teams that the I-A's probably would have scheduled. Who is Temple or Eastern Michigan or UL-Lafayette going to schedule for that extra home date if they can't find a I-AA team who hasn't already filled the 11-game slate? Each other? Not likely.

TexasTerror
April 29th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Typical NCAA. They open up the door to a 12-game schedule for I-A supposedly to allow smaller schools to increase home-gate revenue and then slam the door in the faces of the I-AA teams that the I-A's probably would have scheduled. Who is Temple or Eastern Michigan or UL-Lafayette going to schedule for that extra home date if they can't find a I-AA team who hasn't already filled the 11-game slate? Each other? Not likely.

I don't see how this slams the door in I-AA's face. I think I-AA gains more than lose, especially considering the financial struggles of many schools at the I-AA level. Not all I-AA teams are going to be able to get I-A games that will fill their coffers. We'd instead see more Div II, NAIA and the such playing I-AA then ever before. And I can't say we'd all like to see that.

LBPop
April 29th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Interesting. I wonder how this will impact the number of I-A vs I-AA games in 2006. I'm thinking more I-A teams already had 11 games scheduled, but not all I-AA so there will still be more, but not as many as if I-AA allowed 12.

This will certainly give the Ivys a real opportunity. Instead of stooping so low as to participate in playoffs...horrors! They can start the season two weeks earlier and get their brains beaten out by some I-A schools. Hmmm, what about Harvard vs. BC? Penn vs. Penn State? Dartmouth vs. Syracuse? :p :D :eek:

Libertine
April 29th, 2005, 11:46 AM
I don't see how this slams the door in I-AA's face. I think I-AA gains more than lose, especially considering the financial struggles of many schools at the I-AA level. Not all I-AA teams are going to be able to get I-A games that will fill their coffers. We'd instead see more Div II, NAIA and the such playing I-AA then ever before. And I can't say we'd all like to see that.
I'm speaking strictly from a budgetary and program-building standpoint. Allowing I-AA the 12th game would have allowed more opportunities for I-AA's to "play up" and more I-A's to "play down". Also, as much as you might not want to see games vs. D2, for smaller I-AA programs it would still be an extra home date to pull in extra revenue and community exposure to the program. Now, it's possible that since the 1-in-4 rule has been dropped by I-A, this will offset some of my concerns, but I believe that by allowing 12 games for I-A and disallowing it for I-AA, the NCAA has thrown a bone to the BCS schools who will pull in huge revenues with the extra date at the expense of the smaller ones who would obviously pull in smaller revenues but of which would be far more significant to the lower-tier programs.

TexasTerror
April 29th, 2005, 11:57 AM
What about playoff purposes? Will the commitee recognize the strength of schedule and that schools are playing more I-A schools? They haven't thus far now, have they? Not in my eyes...

Ronbo
April 29th, 2005, 12:09 PM

This decision cost Montana about $450,000 profit give or take a few bucks. We could have scheduled an extra home game. 23,000 X $25, you see what I mean? I'll guarantee you Main Hall are NOT happy campers right now. This could be one of the final straws. It won't take too much more, the Ivy's and Non Schollies would love to see the playoffs eleminated and they are starting to flex their muscles in that direction.

FU97
April 29th, 2005, 02:02 PM

I expect Furman to have at least 12 games every season.

TexasTerror
April 29th, 2005, 07:10 PM
This decision cost Montana about $450,000 profit give or take a few bucks. We could have scheduled an extra home game. 23,000 X $25, you see what I mean? I'll guarantee you Main Hall are NOT happy campers right now. This could be one of the final straws. It won't take too much more, the Ivy's and Non Schollies would love to see the playoffs eleminated and they are starting to flex their muscles in that direction.

Montana is a different situation than most other schools in I-AA. Montana can reap huge profits from hosting a game. Who can say the same if they do a home-and-home with an intersectional foe? Is Cal Poly going to make money by home-and-home with Towson? Delaware State going to turn a profit by going to Nicholls State or Northern Colorado? No, no and no.

Montana, Southern and McNeese are among the only schools that can turn wonders with 12 games. Other schools will hurt from this, unless they use that 12th game for a second Division I-A payout or can find someone close by (that's not Div II - since those don't draw well) to come into town.

eaglesrthe1
April 29th, 2005, 07:40 PM
The 12-game measure is permissive legislation, which means Division I-A teams may schedule a 12th game if they choose to do so.

Schools don't have to schedule 12 games. They can stay with 11 if they want to. For the I-AA reps to vote to prevent schools from doing something that would benefit them, if they choose to do so, is ridiculous.

It sounds like some of the politics that you have to deal with on the job.

The best way for me to get ahead, is to prevent you from doing so.

henfan
May 5th, 2005, 09:26 AM
The issue of 12 games for I-AA is not entirely dead. It will likely be revisited by I-AA and the NCAA in the near future.

R.A.
July 25th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Will the schools vote on this again soon?

danefan
July 25th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Holy archives batman.

I don't think a vote is needed. I'm pretty sure the final is that once the playoffs expand in 2010, only 11 games will be allowed for FCS.

MplsBison
July 25th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Correct.

There will be 5 weeks of playoffs regardless if the playoffs stay at 20 or expand all the way up to 32.

That leaves only 11 weeks of regular season with a minimum. of 9 games against DI opponents needing to be scheduled.

BlueHen86
July 25th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Correct.

There will be 5 weeks of playoffs regardless if the playoffs stay at 20 or expand all the way up to 32.

That leaves only 11 weeks of regular season with a minimum. of 9 games against DI opponents needing to be scheduled.

Did I miss something? Did the playoffs expand to 20 teams?

TexasTerror
July 25th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Did I miss something? Did the playoffs expand to 20 teams?

In 2010 -- it expands to 20 teams. Two auto-bids (NEC and probably the Big South) plus two at-larges.

MplsBison
July 25th, 2008, 12:44 PM
They will be at 20 in 2010 and the proposal calls for 24 by 2012.

I would expect at least some small push back from schools with the most to lose by expanding the playoofs (Delaware, for example).

BlueHen86
July 25th, 2008, 01:04 PM
In 2010 -- it expands to 20 teams. Two auto-bids (NEC and probably the Big South) plus two at-larges.

Thanks guys. I hadn't heard/read that.

danefan
July 25th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Thanks guys. I hadn't heard/read that.

http://www.gloomies.com/sarcasm.jpg

bluehenbillk
July 25th, 2008, 01:07 PM

I would expect at least some small push back from schools with the most to lose by expanding the playoofs (Delaware, for example).

Huh? What does Delaware have to lose with expanding the playoffs? Heck, the whole playoff process becomes cheapened with the more teams you allow in, & it makes it much easier for UD to make it, as if they go 8-3 or better & they're a lock, and the CAA will be looking at a lot of bids.

As for only playing 11 games, BOO!!! You can't be a football fan & want to see the # of games you can watch be limited. 1-A had this one right & we're the boneheads.

appfan2008
July 25th, 2008, 01:07 PM
holy cow this thread came from waaaaay back

grizband
July 25th, 2008, 01:37 PM
holy cow this thread came from waaaaay back
Good thing we have our way back machine...xthumbsupx

http://www.concurringopinions.com/archives/images/mr_peabody_and_sherman.jpg

Seawolf97
July 25th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I looked at the beginning dates -Yikes 2005 !

Go...gate
July 25th, 2008, 01:58 PM

I'm sorry, but that equivalency/"counter" thing is a bunch of bullcrap. Let 'em play the FCS schools they want, period.

Husky Alum
July 25th, 2008, 02:07 PM
I'm sorry, but that equivalency/"counter" thing is a bunch of bullcrap. Let 'em play the FCS schools they want, period.

I agree 100% - you're telling me that BC can't play Holy Cross, or Syracuse play Colgate? C'mon is that any less competitive than BC playing NU/Maine/Hofstra/URI or Syracuse playing NU???

It's not like you're playing a team that's not qualified to be on the same field with you.

Colgate can play for the FCS title but it can't collect a paycheck to play Penn State.

Yeah, that one makes a TON of sense. If Jacksonville wants to play Florida State, so be it.

Seawolf97
July 25th, 2008, 02:12 PM

Couldnt agree more. All of us play the big boys in other sports one on one and hold our own . Look at Gardiner Webb knocking off Kentucky in hoops last year, or Albany at Syracuse in lacrosse this past season. Foot ball should be no different. xthumbsupx

MplsBison
July 25th, 2008, 02:26 PM
If they're going to say that one win against an FCS team can count for the minimum 6 wins an FBS team needs to be bowl eligible, then I see no reason why any FCS can't be the team they count.

It's supposed to be an automatic win anyway, right?

BlueHen86
July 25th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Huh? What does Delaware have to lose with expanding the playoffs?

I don't get it either, especially since UD will be in the Big East by then.xrolleyesx

Go...gate
July 25th, 2008, 04:38 PM
If they're going to say that one win against an FCS team can count for the minimum 6 wins an FBS team needs to be bowl eligible, then I see no reason why any FCS can't be the team they count.

It's supposed to be an automatic win anyway, right?

REP FOR YOU, MY MPLS COLLEAGUE!!! xthumbsupx