PDA

View Full Version : What does the AGS mean to you?

ASU Tailgaiteer
December 9th, 2008, 11:53 PM
I was out of town last week for a wedding, with only my Blackberry to keep me posted on the game in progress. The ESPN and USA Today websites were slow with updates, so I pulled up the AGS website and followed the game discussion.

Not the outcome that I was looking for, but this site is a great resource for all FCS fans.

catamount man
December 10th, 2008, 07:28 AM
This board is therapy, a haven where one can go and be surrounded by numerous friends, a warm blanket for a troubled soul. xthumbsupx

MaroonDoom
December 10th, 2008, 08:13 AM
AGS is my bible.

jaxstatealum
December 10th, 2008, 08:22 AM
I too enjoy the board. It gives me a chance to hear about things that local news or the major reporting agencies (ESPN, etc) don't cover.

I also love the trash talking, fun jabs, etc. Heck - that's just part of college football. xnodx

The downside - can the Cocks and the lower conferences get a tad of love? Just every now and then xlolx

citdog
December 10th, 2008, 08:23 AM
excessive moderation by intellectual nincoompoops

ASUMountaineer
December 10th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Armanti Goes for Six!

Oh, you mean Any Given Saturday.

I have been here 3 years, I always have enjoyed it. There are some characters on here you get to know and it's fun to mess with each other. Some really take it to heart, but it's all for fun. The thing I like the most is learning about the different teams and schools. FCS is the best, and we all know it.

xpeacex

buckp
December 10th, 2008, 08:32 AM
AGS is an excellent window for learning about other FCS teams across the nation. I am amazed at how many Cowboy fans are 'one-dimensional' when it comes to knowing anything outside of their team.... xsmhx

hippy@GSU
December 10th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Welcome back Citdog. This board is a way to take my mind off of school and work. Sometimes too much, which leads me to not completing homework. My addiction to FCS football is fed by this site. If only I could learn to balance the school work and the AGS site. Whatever, I look forward to a great offseason full of FCS discussion.

beauvighn
December 10th, 2008, 08:43 AM
AGS is a great source of entertainment. It's sort of like Professional Wrasslin'. You have your good guys (all Wofford fans), and you have your villians( I'll let you fill in this blank). The villians certainly outnumber the good guys, but it's a lot of fun.

89Hen
December 10th, 2008, 08:51 AM
I'm just a lurker here and haven't posted much, but it seems like a pretty cool site. xthumbsupx

MaroonDoom
December 10th, 2008, 08:55 AM
I agree Jaxstatealum. Until the OVC proves it can beat somebody in the post season we will be considered bums. I was once like the OVC, but after hard work and long hours I am now successfull. Step up OVC!

OL FU
December 10th, 2008, 09:00 AM
you know I am a republican that likes to hang with democrats.
a person that considers themself more rational than emotional, more analytical than presumptive, but I like people that tend toward the emotional side of life (within reason, of course).
a person that is not that religious but likes to discuss religion (and not in the D1B bashin' fashion)
so I am not going to have a lot of fun sitting around and just talking to Furman fans (although I like Furman fans) so AGS gives me the give and take, the fun and frolick, the facts and the smack from every perspective accross FCS Landxthumbsupx

89Hen
December 10th, 2008, 09:06 AM
The downside - can the Cocks and the lower conferences get a tad of love? Just every now and then xlolx
Absolutely. Look at Albany or Coastal or Hampton in the past few years. I wish everyone the best and I love to see different teams step up and succeed. For a team like JSU, the problem is your OOC schedule and results. One I-A loss every year combined with either other losses or weaker wins...

2008: loss to GT, wins over AAMU (a 5-7 SWAC) and Chatty (1-11)
2007: losses to Memphis and Alabama State (a 3-8 SWAC team), win over Chatty (2-9)
2006: losses to MissSt and Furman, win over Chatty (3-8)
2005: losses to UAB, Furman and Chatty - combined with 6-2 in conference
2004: wins over Chatty (2-9) and Emporia (a 5-6 DII)
2003: losses to Kansas and North Alabama (a good DII), win over AAMU

With the OVC not winning any playoff games since Murray in 1998, you HAVE to do it OOC in the regular season. xpeacex

jaxstatealum
December 10th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Absolutely. Look at Albany or Coastal or Hampton in the past few years. I wish everyone the best and I love to see different teams step up and succeed. For a team like JSU, the problem is your OOC schedule and results. One I-A loss every year combined with either other losses or weaker wins...

2008: loss to GT, wins over AAMU (a 5-7 SWAC) and Chatty (1-11)
2007: losses to Memphis and Alabama State (a 3-8 SWAC team), win over Chatty (2-9)
2006: losses to MissSt and Furman, win over Chatty (3-8)
2005: losses to UAB, Furman and Chatty - combined with 6-2 in conference
2004: wins over Chatty (2-9) and Emporia (a 5-6 DII)
2003: losses to Kansas and North Alabama (a good DII), win over AAMU

With the OVC not winning any playoff games since Murray in 1998, you HAVE to do it OOC in the regular season. xpeacex

I agree totally!!! Would someone send the idiots that run our show a blueprint for success xlolx

89Hen
December 10th, 2008, 09:42 AM
I agree totally!!! Would someone send the idiots that run our show a blueprint for success xlolx
In JSU's defense, having Chatty so close makes it tough to give that game up, but if they don't improve their program, it may make it hard to improve yours. Same goes for AAMU. I guess the decision will be whether it's better to keep playing teams close by, or playing better teams further away. xeyebrowx

MacThor
December 10th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Armanti Goes for Six!

...interceptions? ;)

ASUMountaineer
December 10th, 2008, 11:04 AM
...interceptions? ;)

No, that would just be mean...xoopsx

xlolx

LacesOut
December 10th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Even though I'm not here all that much, AGS still helps me in getting through a day of work.

Also, I get to learn a little about I-AA football teams/players/coaches/fans from other parts of the country.

eaglewithabus
December 10th, 2008, 11:29 AM
its the best way to keep up with other fcs teams outside my own. I spend most of my day over at GSUfans.com, but this is definately the most useful site for gaining knowledge about the rest of our division.

clenz
December 10th, 2008, 11:38 AM
I was a reader for a couple months before i decided to start posting. Before I started posting I didn't see the lure of it as much as I do now. It is a great place to talk about football at a level that no one outside this site cares about. It is nice to have a conversation about the FCS and not have to deal with the "FCS is D2 and sucks" bull crap.

ValleyChamp
December 10th, 2008, 11:59 AM
I'm just a lurker here and haven't posted much, but it seems like a pretty cool site. xthumbsupx

xlolx xlolx xlolx

From now on, don't be afraid to throw your opinion out there.

CrackerRiley
December 10th, 2008, 12:03 PM
This forum, like other forums, teaches me that relative to the masses I know squat about the main subject of the forum (here being FCS football).
It is great to learn about other teams around the country. I am fairly knowledgeable when having a conversation with "normal people" about the FCS, then I come here and do more reading and learning than the teaching I would do with the "normals".

OL FU
December 10th, 2008, 12:04 PM
I forgot something.

I have met a lot of really cool people through AGS. xthumbsupx I think that is the most important thingxnodx

jaxstatealum
December 10th, 2008, 01:15 PM
In JSU's defense, having Chatty so close makes it tough to give that game up, but if they don't improve their program, it may make it hard to improve yours. Same goes for AAMU. I guess the decision will be whether it's better to keep playing teams close by, or playing better teams further away. xeyebrowx

I'm one of the few that wishes we would cancel the series with AAMU. They travel really well to J'ville, but our folks do not return the favor.

The game with Chatty is great - I think for both schools in terms of building a rivialry. However you are right - they've been bad, real bad and it just does very little for us in terms of post season.

I wish we could schedule JMU, APPY, GSU, McNeese - if we won then great, but if not it gives us a realistic measuring stick.

Don't mean to get off topic, but I guess this is what AGS is for and means to me...

bandl
December 10th, 2008, 01:21 PM
AGS = All Girls Swallow xeyebrowx

Right?

UNHWildCats
December 10th, 2008, 01:21 PM
AGS is like a world of its own.

You got your football.

Other sports.

Smack.

Politics.

Everything else.

UNHWildCats
December 10th, 2008, 01:22 PM
AGS = All Girls Swallow xeyebrowx

Right?
asian guys too :p

OL FU
December 10th, 2008, 01:42 PM
I look forward to one day meeting some folks from AGS and sharing milk and cookies....

OK, xeyebrowx Come to our next US-SCAGS get together. xnodx If it is free citdog will consume it. xlolx

Husky Alum
December 10th, 2008, 01:47 PM
What it means to me?

Never having to go hungry at an NU road game!!!

Seriously, I've met some great people on this board, the America East board and the CAA board, and the friendships I've made here are fantastic.

I mean I spent a weekend in Fargo in 2006 when NU played there, arrived in Fargo with $125 in my wallet and left with $123. The folks from NDSU I met on the board were amazing - and their pregame tailgate was fantastic.

The fans at YSU in 2005 were also real good hosts.

guys like Henfan, Tribe4SF (and his buddies from UCDavis), UNHAlum, and many others are among the most genuine folks you'll ever meet - and that's what this board is all about for me.

813Jag
December 10th, 2008, 02:43 PM
asian guys too :p
xflaggedx xlolx xlolx

813Jag
December 10th, 2008, 02:45 PM
AGS gives me something to do during the day and occasionally talk a little football.

Ivytalk
December 10th, 2008, 02:46 PM
It's the World's Largest Virtual Locker Room, with towel-snapping, wise-cracking, smart and entertaining FCS fans!xbowx xbowx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

And relatively few bozos!:p

Screamin_Eagle174
December 10th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Short version or longer version?

Short version: A Great Site.

Long version: AGS to me means an excellent virtual vehicle in which to meander and meaningfully make friendly football-fanatic related fiascoes, engage like-minded individuals in inane banter, exercise (or exorcise? :D) an acceptable addiction, talk shop, shoot the shipped, ruefully rib, vehemently protest, and of course, learn about all of the other 117 or so teams in the great land of FCS that aren't as awesome as the Eastern Washington University Eagles!!!

RabidRabbit
December 10th, 2008, 05:15 PM
As a locationally challenged fan I have had the opportunity to get to know, meet, and connect with the many of the different schools' fans. It has been the source of much of the information for the preseason polls.

The lounge has provided opportunities to assist, discuss, and laugh.

Due to my shy nature :o I've also ventured out for games, bar hops with people who view the world with football tainted glasses, my kind of xbeerchugx xbeerchugx buddies.

appmountaineer
December 10th, 2008, 05:18 PM
It is THE source of FCS information. Its also a great website for those who are jealous of ASUxsmiley_wix. Only kidding, but it definitely is the website I go to in order to escape writing my papers.

ASUGirl703
December 10th, 2008, 06:19 PM
It's a site where anyone from seasoned football players to 21 year old college students like myself can talk about football without being laughed at! It also reminds you that you may be obnoxiously obsessed but so is everyone else :)

proasu89
December 10th, 2008, 06:37 PM
It's a site where anyone from seasoned football players to 21 year old college students like myself can talk about football without being laughed at! It also reminds you that you may be obnoxiously obsessed but so is everyone else :)

Welcome Aboard xbeerchugx 703

blueballs
December 10th, 2008, 07:36 PM
I forgot something.

I have met a lot of really cool people through AGS. xthumbsupx I think that is the most important thingxnodx

That's the bottom line.

I've met a lot of interesting folks through this site:

cap'n cat & d1b (who are the two best guys, with wonderful families, i count them as good friends), mcneese75, mctailgator, mlbowl (super guy), greatappst, asukep, flagman, stumpy, syntax error, pantherrob (good to hear from you saturday night), gil dobie, ol' putty tat, all the sdsu folks, and many, many more.

I look forward to meeting and breaking bread with ivytalk this saturday in savannah, can't wait!!!

Ivytalk
December 10th, 2008, 08:11 PM
That's the bottom line.

I've met a lot of interesting folks through this site:

cap'n cat & d1b (who are the two best guys, with wonderful families, i count them as good friends), mcneese75, mctailgator, mlbowl (super guy), greatappst, asukep, flagman, stumpy, syntax error, pantherrob (good to hear from you saturday night), gil dobie, ol' putty tat, all the sdsu folks, and many, many more.

I look forward to meeting and breaking bread with ivytalk this saturday in savannah, can't wait!!!

Also choice hops, grains and best barley malt!:D xnodx xbowx

ngineer
December 10th, 2008, 08:52 PM
This place has meant a fine locale to hang one's hat in the only place around to discuss FCS football with those who appreciate the game. The side boards with the jokesters, politicos add color to the fray, but no where else can you gather and discuss what we want to discuss.

That being said, I look forward to seeing more GREEN DONOR badges under peoples' avatars. It doesn't have to be alot. And with all the active members involved, a small donation to keep our server hummin' (considering all the traffic it has to handle) would be a nice little Christmas present to all of us. We all want to see this place thrive and be there when we 'check in'. Merry Christmas to Everyone at AGS!xthumbsupx

GrizzlyBill
December 10th, 2008, 10:26 PM

True, except they WILL laugh at you! Some people on here get all puffed up and competitive, others get all pissed about perceived slights and lapses of respect for their teams, but what I like is the wealth of good insight and information about our FCS brand of football from lot of other guys on here.

I get really psyched about this time every year. Years of late it has been easy for a Griz fan to get psyched, but hey, this board makes it a lot more fun.

It appears to me that the Missoulian sports staff reads AGS.

UNHWildCats
December 10th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Welcome Aboard xbeerchugx 703
she's been aboard almost as long as you xlolx xlolx xlolx

proasu89
December 11th, 2008, 09:08 AM
she's been aboard almost as long as you xlolx xlolx xlolx

Just noticed that xsmiley_wix Post count threw mexlolx