PDA

View Full Version : Bids for Home Game

Tealblood
November 17th, 2005, 08:40 AM
Have all of the teams in the mix for playoffs submitted bids to host or are some of these schools passing on submitting a bid?
Next question would be what was the minimum bid (NCAA)?
And do some schools put in bids well above the minimum
I saw where Coastal had submitted its bid last week I think

McNeese72
November 17th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Have all of the teams in the mix for playoffs submitted bids to host or are some of these schools passing on submitting a bid?
Next question would be what was the minimum bid (NCAA)?
And do some schools put in bids well above the minimum
I saw where Coastal had submitted its bid last week I think
This will answer one of your questions.

Site Determination. With regard to first-round, quarterfinal and semifinal sites, in
addition to the criteria listed in Bylaw 31.1.3, the NCAA Division I-AA Football
Committee shall consider the following additional criteria when selecting playoff
sites:
a. Prospective host institutions must submit the following minimum financial guarantees,
which shall be 75 percent of the estimated net receipts as submitted on the proposed
budget:
First round—$30,000
Quarterfinal—$40,000
Semifinal—$50,000
b. If the minimum financial guarantees are met, the committee will award the playoff sites
to the top four seeded teams.
c. When determining host institutions for playoff games when both teams are unseeded,
criteria shall apply as follows: (1) quality of facility, (2) revenue potential plus estimated
net receipts, (3) attendance history and potential, (4) team’s performance (i.e.,
conference place finish, head-to-head results and number of Division I opponents),
and (5) student-athlete well-being (e.g., travel, missed class time).
d. If a quarterfinal or semifinal playoff site is not available due to the fact the institutions
involved did not submit a proposed budget, the committee will contact the institutions
and offer the opportunity to submit a bid at the current round’s minimum financial
guarantee level. If seeded teams are not involved, the committee will determine the host
institutions by applying the championship site-selection criteria in Bylaw 31.1.3.2.1.
e. If no institution is willing to submit a proposed budget at the current level, the previous
round’s minimum financial guarantee will be offered. If seeded teams are not involved,
the committee will determine the host institutions by applying the championship siteselection
criteria in Bylaw 31.1.3.2.1.
f. The committee will consider previous crowd-control measures and crowd behavior of
the prospective host institution.

November 17th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Have all of the teams in the mix for playoffs submitted bids to host or are some of these schools passing on submitting a bid?...It's too late now if they haven't.

http://i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=37174

Cap'n Cat
November 17th, 2005, 09:15 AM
So, bottom line, you almost gotta buy a championship in 1-AA?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Tealblood
November 17th, 2005, 09:21 AM
I understand it is now too late to submit
I also understand we have alot of SID types and was just curious if some of these teams in the mix did not submit

November 17th, 2005, 09:28 AM
So, bottom line, you almost gotta buy a championship in 1-AA?No, you buy home games in I-AA playoffs to help pay for it.

colgate13
November 17th, 2005, 09:31 AM
1-AA?

HOLY CRAP!

No more Road Ralph trips for you!

http://www.historicaltextarchive.com/images/remind2.jpg

LacesOut
November 17th, 2005, 09:34 AM
So, bottom line, you almost gotta buy a championship in 1-AA?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Whoa! Never thought of it that way. Interesting point, Cap'n.

November 17th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Whoa! Never thought of it that way...That's because it is not correct. If a school wants to host a playoff game they bid and the highest bid gets it. The NCAA is guaranteed 75% of the gate to pay for the visiting team's travel/room and board plus run the event. The home team keeps the other 25%. Its not intended to make money.

On topic, I'll try to find out the bidding teams.

Cap'n Cat
November 17th, 2005, 09:47 AM
No, you buy home games in I-AA playoffs to help pay for it.

Six to one, half-dozen................

You have to buy the PATH to a 1-AA championship, then. Ain't right, man. So, if Cal-Poly, for example, had a boatload of cash donated by some anonymous donor and it was supposed to be used for 1-AA hosting bids only, they could, theoretically, BUY their way to Chattanooga and be home the whole time?

And, pay for what? Those bids pay the NCAA's expenses to ship everyone around?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Cap'n Cat
November 17th, 2005, 09:50 AM
That's because it is not correct. If a school wants to host a playoff game they bid and the highest bid gets it. The NCAA is guaranteed 75% of the gate to pay for the visiting team's travel/room and board plus run the event. The home team keeps the other 25%. Its not intended to make money.

On topic, I'll try to find out the bidding teams.

So, regarding the highlighted above, and using my example above - Cal Poly all of a sudden has $3,000,000 to spend on bids - who could compete? They'd host until Chatty. Still "buying" one's way (or trying to - dep on if you keep winning) to a champy trofie.

November 17th, 2005, 10:07 AM
So, regarding the highlighted above, and using my example above - Cal Poly all of a sudden has $3,000,000 to spend on bids - who could compete? They'd host until Chatty. Still "buying" one's way (or trying to - dep on if you keep winning) to a champy trofie.Hosting does not equal win.

Last year Home got eight wins, Visitors got 6 wins.

Eastern Washington 35 #1 SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 31
SAM HOUSTON STATE 54 Western Kentucky 24
MONTANA 56 Northwestern State 7
New Hampshire 27 #4 GEORGIA SOUTHERN 23
#3 WILLIAM & MARY 42 Hampton 35
DELAWARE 28 Lafayette 14
James Madison 14 LEHIGH 13
#2 FURMAN 49 Jacksonville State 7
Sam Houston State 35 EASTERN WASHINGTON 34
MONTANA 47 New Hampshire 17
#3 WILLIAM & MARY 44 Delaware 38 2OT
James Madison 14 #2 FURMAN 13
James Madison 48 #3 WILLIAM & MARY 34
MONTANA 34 Sam Houston State 13

So maybe if you MUST play at home to WIN then you could BUY a home game.

Did James Madison FREELOAD their way to the title last year? :D

89Hen
November 17th, 2005, 10:09 AM
The seeds are NOT determined by who pays the most. The path still goes through the seeded teams if they win. If Cal Poly or somebody else wants to bid a million bucks, that only gets them home games until they run into a seed.

Cap'n Cat
November 17th, 2005, 10:21 AM
The seeds are NOT determined by who pays the most. The path still goes through the seeded teams if they win. If Cal Poly or somebody else wants to bid a million bucks, that only gets them home games until they run into a seed.

Thanks for the clary, guys. Still seems like buyin - at least a couple games.

I remember ignorant Cap'n Cat asking one of his coaches back in '85 what determines home games (we had a seed) and he said, "Well, basically, you gotta buy a championship", after which he explained bids and etc.

Seems that's still somewhat true, eh?

bluehenbillk
November 17th, 2005, 10:22 AM
A lot of posts on this thread that can be summed up really easily:

If you're a top 4 seed, you bid the minimum & you play at home.

If 2 unseeded teams play, the higher bid gets the game.

putter
November 17th, 2005, 10:26 AM
So why don't we go back to seeding all 16 teams and if the higher seed meets the minimum bid then they get they get the home games?

JaxSinfonian
November 17th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Cap'n, keep in mind that the highest bid does not neccessarily get the home game. Our administration REALLY wanted us to play at home in the first round last year, and while I don't have numbers in front of me, I'm told JSU bid quite a bit more than some teams who wound up playing at home. The committee apparently considers other factors.

That's not sour grapes, and I'm not at all dissatisfied with the Gamecocks having been sent to Furman last year (just the result). It's just what I've heard and read.

It actually is kind of heartening to know it's not ALL about dollar signs, even if it means we got our tails whupped on the road.

November 17th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Cap'n, keep in mind that the highest bid does not neccessarily get the home game...Yeah, the high bid is only for games between at-large teams. If you get chosen to play a seed it doesn't matter unless the seed didn't place a bid.

JaxSinfonian
November 17th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Yeah, the high bid is only for games between at-large teams. If you get chosen to play a seed it doesn't matter unless the seed didn't place a bid.

Well, that makes sense then. See Ralph, that's why they call you the answer-man.

Did you know they called you that? You should talk to them about it.

Or something.

Cap'n Cat
November 17th, 2005, 10:40 AM
bill, jax, ralphie, Hen, etc -

Thanks for the info.

:)

And, Jaxie - he ain't the complete answer man. He can't answer my q about tampons in the Lounge.

;) ;)

89Hen
November 17th, 2005, 10:47 AM
If the seeds did their job, only four first round games would be "up for bid". All the rest would be at seeds. What we've had is a bunch of seeds going down early.

November 17th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Well, that makes sense then. See Ralph, that's why they call you the answer-man. Did you know they called you that?...And that's just one of them you can post here... it gets worst. ;)

So I take it no one knows what their school did bid-wise?

PantherMan
November 17th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Here's a question Ralph. If a team that gets seeded bid over the minimum, are they required to pay the full bid? The reason I ask is that this would seem to give an unfair financial advantage to a team such as New Hampshire this year, who barring a loss Saturday should be all but guaranteed the #1 seed. Schools on that perverbial "bubble" for a seed might find it necessary to bid exorbinant amounts of money to guarantee a home game, only to find out they would have gotten the game for pennies on the dollar. I know this is splitting hairs, and all the schools that make the playoffs are happy to be there one way or the other, but this seems like a prime example of the rich getting richer...

JaxSinfonian
November 17th, 2005, 11:14 AM
From an Anniston Star story Nov. 8: ("Fuller" is JSU AD Jim Fuller.)

BID READY: The Gamecocks’ bid to host in the I-AA playoffs is due to the NCAA Friday, but is expected to be sent by Wednesday.

Fuller declined to specify the amount of JSU’s bid, but conceded the first- and third-round bids were lower than last year’s attempt, but the second-round bid was higher. With four overall losses, it’s doubtful the Gamecocks would get a first-round home game.

"I don’t know what to do on it," Fuller admitted. "People who submitted bids last year were lower than we did and got the bid, and we also had people they said ‘tried to buy it’ and just bid enormous amounts of money. So, I tried to hit the happy medium with the university’s approval and president what we’d be able to do and he gave me the freedom to adjust it some. So I did."

Ronbo
November 17th, 2005, 11:22 AM
Yeah, the high bid is only for games between at-large teams. If you get chosen to play a seed it doesn't matter unless the seed didn't place a bid.

But I think guys would like to know if 75% of 23,000 tickets sold would affect the decisions for the top 4 seeds as the NCAA is in fact guaranteed 75% of gate receipts whether you are a top seed or not. If two top 4 seed teams are very close would the better attendance team get a #2 and the lesser attendance team get the #3 because of money?

November 17th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Here's a question Ralph. If a team that gets seeded bid over the minimum, are they required to pay the full bid?...As Roachel said on I-AA WAVES Tuesday, once the bid is in it is a guarantee to the NCAA.

November 17th, 2005, 11:29 AM
But I think guys would like to know if 75% of 23,000 tickets sold would affect the decisions for the top 4 seeds as the NCAA is in fact guaranteed 75% of gate receipts whether you are a top seed or not. If two top 4 seed teams are very close would the better attendance team get a #2 and the lesser attendance team get the #3 because of money?Roachel said, and they have said this many times, the best four teams gets the seeds with no other factors involved. After that the higher seed hosts, if they bid, when playing a lower seed.

November 17th, 2005, 11:32 AM
[color=black]From an Anniston Star story Nov. 8: ("Fuller" is JSU AD Jim Fuller.)...Fuller should have added "but they sent us to a seeded team so what could we do?"

TypicalTribe
November 17th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Roachel said, and they have said this many times, the best four teams gets the seeds with no other factors involved. After that the higher seed hosts, if they bid, when playing a lower seed.

I still think one of the strangest things we've seen was when Colgate was seeded in 2003 and declined to host the semifinal game against FAU and had to travel down south instead of staying home again, which was a huge advantage due to the blizzard.

November 17th, 2005, 11:39 AM
I still think one of the strangest things we've seen was when Colgate was seeded in 2003 and declined to host the semifinal game against FAU and had to travel down south instead of staying home again, which was a huge advantage due to the blizzard.That's my thought too TT but no bid no host. I've heard that Biddle planned it that way before the playoffs but I find that incredulous.

GSUAlumniEagle
November 17th, 2005, 11:46 AM
So why don't we go back to seeding all 16 teams and if the higher seed meets the minimum bid then they get they get the home games?

$$$$$$$$$$$ for the NCAA.

SoCon48
November 17th, 2005, 11:47 AM
No, you buy home games in I-AA playoffs to help pay for it.

Let's see.

NCAA gets 8 X $30K X .75= $180,000
4 X $40K X .75= $120,000
2 X $50K X .75= $75,000
________
$375,000

Montana had a 3rd round game of 17,401 in 2000. That's say 75% of 17,401 X $20 a ticket=$255,000 for ONE of the two semis.

To help pay for it. I'd say $375,000 should pay for travel, hotel, etc for 14 teams to travel @ $27,000 each, especially since many to most are bus trips. And that's just using the minimu bid $ figures!
If not, how do I bid to be the NCAA's travel agent?

The NCAA should be making some good jack off this play-off thing. :eek: :eek:

TypicalTribe
November 17th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Let's see.

NCAA gets 8 X $30K X .75= $180,000
4 X $40K X .75= $120,000
2 X $50K X .75= $75,000
________
$375,000

To help pay for it. I'd say $375,000 should pay for travel, hotel, etc for 14 teams to travel @ $27,000 each, especially since many to most are bus trips.
If not, how do I bid to be the NCAA's travel agent?

THose are the minimums. They get much more than that for all the games hosted by teams that aren't seeded, I believe. I would imagine the overall total is closer to double what you suggested.

SoCon48
November 17th, 2005, 12:01 PM
THose are the minimums. They get much more than that for all the games hosted by teams that aren't seeded, I believe. I would imagine the overall total is closer to double what you suggested.

I'd definitely agree since the semi-final game (not counting the other semi the same day) yielded an NCAA share of $255,000 vs the guarantee of $50K for that day. If the other semi that day brought in the same, the NCAA pocketed a half mil for that day.

That's 5 X the guarantee $.

November 17th, 2005, 12:02 PM
...The NCAA should be making some good jack off this play-off thing...Not according to them. They say if they break even they are lucky.

SoCon48
November 17th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Not according to them. They say if they break even they are lucky.

Geez, then somebody has their grubby mits in the cookie jar!! Geez!!!

Think about it. Did it cost the NCAA $255,000 to fly the mandated reduced roster to Montana and pay the refs?
Any TV should be break even at worst.

I would LOVE to see the rev vs expenses for the play-off games.

REEM10
November 17th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Money makes the world go round. Espicallly in 1-AA! ;)

November 17th, 2005, 01:44 PM
...Did it cost the NCAA $255,000 to fly the mandated reduced roster to Montana and pay the refs?...transport, feed, transport, transport, feed, house, feed, transport, feed, transport, feed, house, feed, promo, etc. That stuff adds up! Then there are places that pay much less... then there is the Champ game...

Cap'n Cat
November 17th, 2005, 02:27 PM
I would LOVE to see the revs vs expenses for the play-off games.

Yeah, Ralphie. Is this public information?

Ronbo
November 17th, 2005, 02:54 PM
We had 23,000 at the Semi. That's about $300,000 share for the NCAA. It doesn't cost that to fly a team first class, house them at the Hilton, and feed them at the finest fancy restaurants. Oh and you could even let the boys go on a shopping spree downtown and you still didn't spend the money.

umassfan
November 17th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Not according to them. They say if they break even they are lucky.
They break even just like UD and Montana get 12,000 for opening round... both are underreported.

TypicalTribe
November 17th, 2005, 03:35 PM
They break even just like UD and Montana get 12,000 for opening round... both are underreported.

They break even just like umassfan picks all 15 playoff games correctly.

Paladin1aa
November 17th, 2005, 03:39 PM
I have a question -- is the "bid" based on ticket sales alone ?? In other words, is concessions, parking, programs,etc simply "extra" money for the school ??

And if that is the case, then there IS some "buying" going on.

Cap'n Cat
November 17th, 2005, 03:40 PM
I have a question -- is the "bid" based on ticket sales alone ?? In other words, is concessions, parking, programs,etc simply "extra" money for the school ??

And if that is the case, then there IS some "buying" going on.

I still think, pally, that there is buying going on.

As far as I understand, ticket sales have nothing to do with it. You could bid $200,000 and, if you don't even come close, you still owe the NCAA cha-ching.

Paladin1aa
November 17th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Thats "chump" change for some schools, Cat. I'd like a clear explanation of "what" constitutes a bid.

Cap'n Cat
November 17th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Thats "chump" change for some schools, Cat. I'd like a clear explanation of "what" constitutes a bid.

Just an example, pally.

:rolleyes:

The requirements have been posted here dozens of times. Start lookin'

Retro
November 17th, 2005, 05:06 PM
The NCAA is basically ripping everyone off and causing school's playoff attendance to appear bad!

We all know that many schools under-estimate playoff attedance so they don't have to pay the NCAA so much money.. To me 75% of the gate is a rip off to the schools!
The NCAA should establish a standard minimum Dollar Amount for each round PERIOD! None of this 75% of game crap! We need schools to know what they will have to pay up front and we need to show better attendance not only with people in the stands but in the box score.. If anything for the betterment of I-AA. Most I-AA schools desperately need the extra money and don't have the bankrolls of I-A schools and the benefit of million dollar bowl sponsors paying for our playoff games and championship game...

The NCAA still hasn't done more to finance the playoffs, promote I-AA nor get it on TV with sponsors footing the bills. If you'll notice at any playoff game they (the ncaa) have way too many people just standing around for no purpose than to get in the way!

McNeese72
November 17th, 2005, 07:12 PM
I thought the NCAA got the minimum bid for each round plus 75% of the gate that is above the minimum bid?

Cincy App
November 17th, 2005, 09:07 PM
I thought the NCAA got the minimum bid for each round plus 75% of the gate that is above the minimum bid?

That was my understanding as well which agrees with the official verbage in the NCAA requirements. The Playoff Selection Committee would then chose teams that were likely to draw well so they would get a strong 75% gate payment as long as they met the bid requirement for that particular round.

According to Ralph and others, it appears that non-seeded games go out to the highest bidder. Sounds like a corrupt system to me if so. If its done for financial purposes alone, then they ought to simply raise the minimum bid for each round.

Cap'n Cat
November 17th, 2005, 09:13 PM
That was my understanding as well which agrees with the official verbage in the NCAA requirements. The Playoff Selection Committee would then chose teams that were likely to draw well so they would get a strong 75% gate payment as long as they met the bid requirement for that particular round.

According to Ralph and others, it appears that non-seeded games go out to the highest bidder. Sounds like a corrupt system to me if so. If its done for financial purposes alone, then they ought to simply raise the minimum bid for each round.

Or ***** bidding altogether, Cincy. *****, just place them appropriately, based on some reliable formula!!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

McNeese75
November 17th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Or ***** bidding altogether, Cincy. *****, just place them appropriately, based on some reliable formula!!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

:eek: Now that will be a whole new can of worms :nod:

I-AA Fan
November 17th, 2005, 10:13 PM
The bids can be any amount, at or above the minimum. However, you have to look at net receipts. For example ... 20k in attendance @ an average of $10 per ticket. Most larger programs can cover associated costs with food, souveniers, programs, etc.. Remember, the bid you make is "in principle", and is a minimum. Schools with a history of returns higher than their guarantee receive future bids. That is what they mean when they say that they look at attendance. It is a simple matter of mathmatics ... a school that has a stadium above 10k in size, have a greater possibility of producing more than their guarantee, than schools with facilities of less than 10k. Schools averaging over 10k in attendance, havea greater chance of selling more tickets, thus exceeding the minimum. Schools with regular appearances actually bid on this year over the past several years. It is a gamble for both the NCAA and the institutions.

eaglesrthe1
November 18th, 2005, 03:35 AM
Roachel said, and they have said this many times, the best four teams gets the seeds with no other factors involved. After that the higher seed hosts, if they bid, when playing a lower seed.

I think what Ronbo is asking is, would $$$ have an effect on a seed possibly going from #3...to #2 so that advantage could be taken of the money. Point in fact, UM is #1 in attendance, while ASU is #2. Anyone want to bet that they will be in the same side of the draw?