PDA

View Full Version : JMU Stadium Dimensions

Green26
December 9th, 2008, 10:58 AM
How far is the seating from the sidelines on each side and on the endzone that has seating? Is the seating bowed around the 50 yard line on one side? How high up is the first row of seating on the sides?

JMUSaxMRD
December 9th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Eh, the seating in the endzone is maybe like 15 feet away from the field, its further away on the sidelines. The first seats in the endzone are maybe like 6-8 feet up, on the sidelines, about 6 feet up. the seating isn't bowed, its all straight lines.

DRDukes
December 9th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Our track use to go around the football field, so the distance from the stands to the field is 8 track lanes, maybe 20 feet. When we built our athletic performance center we just built over the track. On the endzone seating they start about 10 feet from the field. As for height, the first row is 7 feet above the gound. The "Home side" has 32 rows of seating and the "Student/Vistor" has 26 rows, so there really aren't any bad seats anywhere. Now, if ya'll come back in 2 years, then our new "home side" will be much closer to the field and will have a large upper deck to watch from as well...

mcveyrl
December 9th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Isn't there a recent aerial picture somewhere?

CatMom07
December 9th, 2008, 11:12 AM
http://www.firthessence.net/ibf/bridgeforth.jpg

appfan2008
December 9th, 2008, 11:34 AM
i cant wait to watch this game on friday and i look forward to your stadium improvements in the future as well

JmuSkinsfan
December 9th, 2008, 11:38 AM
The first phase of stadium expansion (the re-building of the home side to 2 - tiers) will also move the stands closer to the field. When we decide to go to phase 2 and 3 (which would take it to roughly 45,000 seats), they will do the same with the visitor (student) side

th0m
December 9th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Isn't there a recent aerial picture somewhere?

http://www.jmusports.com//pics27/1024/SH/SHQZBQGLOHOBMMD.20070624181149.jpg

End-zone seating may be a bit larger this year.

griz&beer
December 9th, 2008, 12:08 PM
It is a nice little place.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
December 9th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Wait till you see our nice little mini-tron video. :o

I honestly think the aerial makes the stadium look like it's farther from the field than it feels. We have fairly good sight lines, much better than a lot of other CAA schools (not UD sightlines, of course). You'll enjoy the game no matter where you sit!

xthumbsupx

JMinU
December 9th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Wait to you see or huge 2004 National Champions sign on our huge score board

Grizalltheway
December 9th, 2008, 12:39 PM
English please, alex.

Green26
December 9th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Looking at the photo, the distance from sideline to stands (on the sides) is way more than 20 feet. Looks more like 40-50 feet to me.

I'm trying to figure out how loud a crowd of say 13,500 JMU fans can be if they are that far from the field and not in a stadium that is more shaped like a bowl. I'm talking about loudness on the field, not in the stands.

andy7171
December 9th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Looking at the photo, the distance from sideline to stands (on the sides) is way more than 20 feet. Looks more like 40-50 feet to me.

I'm trying to figure out how loud a crowd of say 13,500 JMU fans can be if they are that far from the field and not in a stadium that is more shaped like a bowl. I'm talking about loudness on the field, not in the stands.

It'll be loud enough, just not what you're use to.

You Grizzlies win the big dick contest, who gives an F!?!

Grizalltheway
December 9th, 2008, 01:42 PM

I think he's just trying to get a feel for how their crowd noise might affect our offense, given that they're not used to playing in front of loud crowds. xpeacex

93henfan
December 9th, 2008, 01:45 PM

Yes, Wa-Griz is kind of like catching the biggest fish in the minnow contest and then some guy goes by in a boat towing a blue whale (ie. Penn State or Michigan). You did have the biggest minnow though!

JMinU
December 9th, 2008, 01:48 PM
dont worry griz fans. it will be loud

catatac
December 9th, 2008, 01:58 PM

OMG... that is awesome! Cracked me up. Sigh... unfortunately you guys only get to see a tiny glimpse of what it's like to live in the same state with these guys that never tire of bragging up their stadium and how loud it is. (Not talking to all of you griz fans, just the ones that brag all the time) It's like a broken record... every game... every year... we hear about it over and over and over again.

Regarding this game, of course it won't be as loud as what you see in Wash-Griz... but I will guarantee it will be the loudest game you've played in all year where the crowd is actually against you!

JMinU
December 9th, 2008, 02:00 PM
yep i expect the griz to have a couple false starts or delay of games because of the noise. And some premature time outs

mtgrizfankb
December 9th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I think the only way i see a noise problem is if we run that sweep like we started to run last week. it was hard to stop but it let our o line jump a few times trying too hard. coach at half got in their grill i bet....played alot better in half 2

Green26
December 9th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Yes, was just trying to figure out how loud it would be on the field and whether or how much it would impact our offense. However, if some "dicks" want to start another conversation, I'm happy to oblige.

In this 2004 SI article on college football weekends, I see that the "minnow", i.e. Montana, is ranked no. 25, Penn St no. 18, and Michigan no. 24. Didn't notice any mention of the teams of "dicks".

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/sioncampus/09/15/best_weekends0916/

I find it interesting that no JMU poster seems to know the actual distance from sideline to seating.

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 9th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Yes, was just trying to figure out how loud it would be on the field and whether or how much it would impact our offense. However, if some "dicks" want to start another conversation, I'm happy to oblige.

In this 2004 SI article on college football weekends, I see that the "minnow", i.e. Montana, is ranked no. 25, Penn St no. 18, and Michigan no. 24. Didn't notice any mention of the teams of "dicks".

I find it interesting that no JMU poster seems to know the actual distance from sideline to seating.

One of the factors you have to account for is the stadium blocking in the sound. Even the open side with the temporary bleachers has a LARGE hill behind it. So any and all sound really is stuck in the stadium. Especially loud when it is cold.

UNIFanSince1983
December 9th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Probably not as stuck in the stadium as it is if you were inside...say a structure like a Dome xwhistlex

GrizNation93
December 9th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Looks like a fairly open stadium, but I am sure it will be loud as heck. hope the O is ready for it. Oh, who am I kidding, the Griz shouldn't even bother showing up.

Tribe4SF
December 9th, 2008, 05:57 PM

Somebody get out there with a tape measure! Green26 needs data!:D

mlbowl
December 9th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Wait to you see or huge 2004 National Champions sign on our huge score board

Yes, I'm sure we've never seen anything like it....oh, wait a second

blur2005
December 9th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Well, there's probably a walkway 10 feet between the field and the stands, then the sidelines are 20 feet wide or so, so I'm gonna guess it's somewhere between 30 and 35 feet. Also, it will be loud, despite what you may think of it. Villanova had a few false starts on Saturday.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
December 9th, 2008, 06:25 PM
My favorite part of the stadium is the echo the band gets off the APC. Nothing like 450 instruments wailing away against a brick wall. Don't see you having that at Wash-Griz...

Also, that 2004 SI article is a joke. Writing that article in the middle of a bad time for PSU. That place is by far the loudest and most insane place to play in football right now. Its bad when you can't even hear the announcers on TV.

Bobcat94
December 9th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Smart design with the parking garage behind the seats...xnodx

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 9th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Somebody get out there with a tape measure! Green26 needs data!:D

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

I'll measure the distance after Friday night's game on my way to the parking deck and fax it over.

Go Dukes.

griz37
December 9th, 2008, 07:25 PM

Yes because every true fan has a blue print of their stadium just lying around their house. xrolleyesx

JMUNJ08
December 10th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I found an article talking about our expansion that says the new home side will be 40 feet closer to the field than the current stands. That would mean our stands are probably 60 feet or so from the field. Doesn't matter though, the two home playoff games have been louder than I have seen Bridgeforth in my 5 years at JMU. The local crowd has really made a difference as the students have always done their part.

Green26
December 10th, 2008, 04:10 PM
I thought there appeared to be plenty of space from stands to sideline. Thx, NJ08. Thx, NRDDAD, but I'll measure it myself tomorrow afternoon.

Your stadium will be alot louder, at least on the field, after your expansion. Griz stadium has only about 20 feet in the gap. The 40 feet will make a huge difference.

mlbowl
December 10th, 2008, 04:13 PM
My favorite part of the stadium is the echo the band gets off the APC. Nothing like 450 instruments wailing away against a brick wall. Don't see you having that at Wash-Griz...

Also, that 2004 SI article is a joke. Writing that article in the middle of a bad time for PSU. That place is by far the loudest and most insane place to play in football right now. Its bad when you can't even hear the announcers on TV.

Yeah....the SI article is a joke.xrolleyesx Did you even bother to read it?....I didn't think so...It's about the gameday experience!

Silenoz
December 10th, 2008, 04:43 PM
OMG... that is awesome! Cracked me up. Sigh... unfortunately you guys only get to see a tiny glimpse of what it's like to live in the same state with these guys that never tire of bragging up their stadium and how loud it is. (Not talking to all of you griz fans, just the ones that brag all the time) It's like a broken record... every game... every year... we hear about it over and over and over again.

Regarding this game, of course it won't be as loud as what you see in Wash-Griz... but I will guarantee it will be the only game you've played in all year where the crowd is actually against you!

~

griz8791
December 10th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Good idea, let's use raw physical dimensions to pimp the JMU fans about their stadium not being loud. I mean, when soon-to-be-visitors who have never been to our place tell US that Wa-Griz can't possibly be as loud as we always claim, those are fightin' words. But no, Bridgeforth USED to have a track, so even though none of us have ever been there, it must not be loud. xconfusedx

SideLine Shooter
December 10th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Tell everybody to bring a flash light because it is one of the darkest stadiums I've ever shot in. Great atmosphere though.xnodx

JmuSkinsfan
December 10th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Tell everybody to bring a flash light because it is one of the darkest stadiums I've ever shot in. Great atmosphere though.xnodx

ESPN brought in a ton of light trucks. Lighting won't be an issue. BUT, that being said, thank god new lights are part of the expansion phase I

89Hen
December 11th, 2008, 08:12 AM
xnodx Wa-Griz is one of the best stadiums in I-AA. At the moment Bridgeforth is not. However, they have plans to make it so. I have always enjoyed games there and once they get rid of the track completely and expand a little, it will rival anywhere. xpeacex

dukesfan74
December 11th, 2008, 08:49 AM
I think he's just trying to get a feel for how their crowd noise might affect our offense, given that they're not used to playing in front of loud crowds. xpeacex

Thing about Bridgforth is that it is surrounded by brick and concrete walls and enclosed on one end with the Plecker building. The sound stays in the stadium really well.

I noticed during the Wooford game the OL were yelling into each others ears it was so loud. We may not have the largest crowd, but the noise factor can be really effective.

BTW, you can go to the JMUSports.com site and it lists our facilities and you can actually get a view of the field from different sections. It shows the old Astroturf field however, but the site view is good.

Ronbo
December 11th, 2008, 10:14 AM
I don't see this stadium being as loud as Montana State. MSU has about the same seating capacity but the stands are much closer to the sidelines. I also can't imagine the JMU screaming as much as the Cat fans do when they play us. It won't be a huge factor.

JMU DJ
December 11th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I don't see this stadium being as loud as Montana State. MSU has about the same seating capacity but the stands are much closer to the sidelines. I also can't imagine the JMU screaming as much as the Cat fans do when they play us. It won't be a huge factor.

I think you underestimate our streamer throwing fans. xsmiley_wix xlolx

th0m
December 11th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Approx. 5500 student tix have been sold so far.

It'll be loud.

andy7171
December 11th, 2008, 10:32 AM

What they lack in noise level, they'll more than make up for with streamers and annoyance.

Dignan
December 11th, 2008, 10:57 AM
What they lack in noise level, they'll more than make up for with streamers and annoyance.

When did this whole streamer thing start, anyway? I haven't been to a game since Curtis Keaton was the RB, so I don't really understand it. On the surface it sounds pretty lame.

In regards to the topic of JMU's crowd noise and whether it will have an effect:
1) Yes, it will be loud.
2) I'm sure Montana's crowd is louder.
3) But I'm willing to bet they're not loud while you're on offense, that's the fundamental difference and why comparisons don't mean much of anything.
4) All that said, if I were Montana I'd worry a whole lot more about the guys on the field than the ones in the stands. I think they'll have their hands full with that.

JMU DJ
December 11th, 2008, 11:03 AM
When did this whole streamer thing start, anyway? I haven't been to a game since Curtis Keaton was the RB, so I don't really understand it. On the surface it sounds pretty lame.

I think it was started by the Duke Club around the 2004 season. It kind of caught on as a way for the fans to celebrate a touchdown (and I guess annoy opposing teams... I don't think W&M appreciated us throwing streamers in their endzone during the 2004 playoffs xlolx ). I don't remember it from my first two years there, but it was definitely there for the 2004-2005 seasons when I was still at JMU.

JMUNJ08
December 11th, 2008, 11:29 AM
I believe that streamer throwing was a part of the tradition YEARS ago but was banned by the university. They reinstated the streamers for the 2004 season. Opponents think it is kinda lame but it can be a bit intimidating to their fans (some teams we played this year actually threw streamers with their team colors when they scored).

Tod
December 11th, 2008, 11:34 AM
JMU is in an enviable position as far as expansion goes. The field could be sunk 20' or so and the sideline stands brought to 20' of the field pretty nicely. I haven't done Geometry in about 27 years or so, and I don't have the information I'd need anyway, but the point is that it's ripe for expansion and will be top five in all of FCS once completed, IMHO.

Of course, then we won't hear the end of the bragging from JMU fans...:D :D :D

Anybody got a link to the expansion plans?

BTW, I'm sure it will be loud as heck and a distraction to the Griz, but I agree with whoever said that the Griz best worry about the people on the field rather than the fans in the seats.

Bronco
December 11th, 2008, 11:37 AM
I like the streamers...looks cool from the opposite stands.

I like any unique to a stadium celebration.

89Hen
December 11th, 2008, 11:38 AM
JMU is in an enviable position as far as expansion goes. The field could be sunk 20' or so and the sideline stands brought to 20' of the field pretty nicely....
No. They will be tearing down each side and moving them closer. Not many places I know around here where you can dig down 20' and not have water issues. xpeacex

JMU DJ
December 11th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Stadium Expansion

http://www.jmusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=14400&ATCLID=1366904

And a nice little video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxibToE1S7A

JmuSkinsfan
December 11th, 2008, 11:40 AM

Tod
December 11th, 2008, 11:41 AM
No. They will be tearing down each side and moving them closer. Not many places I know around here where you can dig down 20' and not have water issues. xpeacex

Ah! Too bad from a financial standpoint, but still, it appears they have the $$, so good to go.

xthumbsupx

ASUG8
December 11th, 2008, 11:43 AM
yep i expect the griz to have a couple false starts or delay of games because of the noise. And some premature time outs

Doubt it - crowd noise wasn't what did us in in Harrisonburg, and I think the Griz have the ability to play in an amped up place pretty well since they do it for at least half their season.

blur2005
December 11th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Also, there's so much limestone in the Shenandoah Valley which makes digging anywhere a challenge, particularly going down 20 feet, though I guess when the place was built they may have blasted a massive hole in the ground making that point irrelevant.

grizbeer
December 11th, 2008, 11:45 AM
That's what I was thinking also. Now when I drilled my well last year near Helena Montana we had to go 585 feet to hit water, so plenty of room to build down there.xlolx

JmuSkinsfan
December 11th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Yeah. We have Newman lake right behind the parking deck and a creek that runs behind the endzone by the hill leading up to the railroad tracks. We wouldn't be able to dig down very far at all. Plus, when JMU installed the new field turf a few years ago, they also put in a state of the art drainage system that would likely be removed or re-done if the field were sunk.

Phase I: 3 parts. First will see the demolishing of the current home side after next season. It will be build up closer to the field and curved in at the ends. The second part would be adding an upper deck after the 2010 season. Then, after the 2011 season they will put permanent endzone seats in the endzone where the temp. bleachers are now. That was originally going to be done after this season but due to construction logistics had to be pushed to the final phase.

Phase II: This will see the same thing done to the visiting side as the home side in Phase I. This will likely happen soon afterwards, especially if JMU makes the jump to FBS.

Phase III: This could be merged into the same time frame as Phase II if the jump is made and demand for seating is there. This would see the closing out of the endzone finished in part 3 of Phase I. This would add an upper tier to the endzone seats and round out the upper deck all the way across the stadium. We already have the amazing Plecker Athletic Center in the other endzone so it would be a horse shoe stadium.

Phase I: Capacity at 25,000
Phase II: Capacity probably around 35,000 40,000
Phase II: Final capacity around 45,000

Tod
December 11th, 2008, 11:50 AM
OK, read the plans and watched the video. Oh, my God! I had no idea!

JMU is not planning on staying in the FCS, are they?

:( :( :(

ASUG8
December 11th, 2008, 11:54 AM

No kidding - that place will be awesome! If you build it, will they come?

Tod
December 11th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Couldn't find a photo of the final project, but suffice it to say that the visitor's side will mirror the home side and the end zone seating will be expanded and double-decked to match.

An outstanding stadium!

http://www.jmusports.com//pics/640/SG/SGXMJCFCNTLAWFX.20080111165655.jpg

JmuSkinsfan
December 11th, 2008, 11:56 AM
JMU TO THE PAC 10 ;) ERRRR 11

blur2005
December 11th, 2008, 11:56 AM

Yeah...we'll see about that. xeyebrowx

Tod
December 11th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Rumors have it JMU won't make the jump unless they are guaranteed to go somewhere good. Right now, rumor has it there are potential offers from a couple major bcs conferences (don't think I'm at liberty of saying which ones), but one is a no-brainer, another is kind of a surprising option. The third option would be a super FCS conference making the jump up together. JMU does not want to make the jump up and be like the Sun Belt or MAC.

Option two is the PAC-11. ;)

JmuSkinsfan
December 11th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Haha. Somehow the geography for that doesn't make much sense!

potus#4
December 11th, 2008, 12:08 PM
I believe that streamer throwing was a part of the tradition YEARS ago but was banned by the university. They reinstated the streamers for the 2004 season. Opponents think it is kinda lame but it can be a bit intimidating to their fans (some teams we played this year actually threw streamers with their team colors when they scored).

Students started throwing rolls of toilet paper onto the court after the basketball team's first basket back in the early 80s. I'd like to think that's where it all got started. If you think people get annoyed now getting hit with streamers, imagine getting hit with a full roll of tp. :D Eventually, tp throwing got banned, at least partly because housekeeping complained about having to replace all the tp in the dorms after every home game. I think they encouraged streamers for a while but that never really had the same impact and then the team sucked and the tradition died - for basketball at least.

http://www.lib.jmu.edu/special/SCPix/sbam/SBAM11.JPG

http://www.lib.jmu.edu/special/SCPix/sbam/SBAM13.JPG

JMU DJ
December 11th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Couldn't find a photo of the final project, but suffice it to say that the visitor's side will mirror the home side and the end zone seating will be expanded and double-decked to match.

An outstanding stadium!

You know what would really annoy the opposing team more than 16,000 people throwing streamers?

40,000+ people throwing streamers.

Tod
December 11th, 2008, 12:55 PM
You know what would really annoy the opposing team more than 16,000 people throwing streamers?

But those streamers from the back of the upper decks would just be landing on the people in the lower deck. ;)

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 11th, 2008, 01:13 PM
But those streamers from the back of the upper decks would just be landing on the people in the lower deck. ;)

You obviously haven't seen the arm strength of some of our students. They can consistently hit opposing team players sitting on the bench from midways up in the stadium.xlolx

rudy1648
December 11th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Just tell the team and Montana fans to watch their backs.....as you can read in one of the previous posts,,,the "visitor/student" sections are together. It gets pretty nasty with the students so close by. They tend to get drunk and beligerant towards the visiting team and fans. It is not a pleasant experience. Maybe you will be so impressed by the one national championship flag you will not notice the students' comments.

Hoboken Dukes
December 11th, 2008, 01:34 PM
any fellow jmu fans know what the story is around getting lined up for a suite or box once the new section is done after this year? couple buddy's of mine and myself are definitely looking to go that route.

blur2005
December 11th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Just tell the team and Montana fans to watch their backs.....as you can read in one of the previous posts,,,the "visitor/student" sections are together. It gets pretty nasty with the students so close by. They tend to get drunk and beligerant towards the visiting team and fans. It is not a pleasant experience. Maybe you will be so impressed by the one national championship flag you will not notice the students' comments.
Yeah, I sat with my friends last Saturday and there were definitely some ridiculous comments being made by some JMU students. At the same time, their viciousness pays off in terms of having a hostile environment so I'm not sure if I totally disapprove. I'll be in their midst again on Friday. xthumbsupx

JMU_MRD'03-'07
December 11th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Rumors have it JMU won't make the jump unless they are guaranteed to go somewhere good. Right now, rumor has it there are potential offers from a couple major bcs conferences (don't think I'm at liberty of saying which ones), but one is a no-brainer, another is kind of a surprising option. The third option would be a super FCS conference making the jump up together. JMU does not want to make the jump up and be like the Sun Belt or MAC.

You're makin things up. The Dukes like where they are ATM, and to make the jump up will only occur in a conference that has travellable games. NOT one that is "major".

btw... I don't like the skins xrolleyesx

JmuSkinsfan
December 11th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Well, I don't like the Cowboys.

Chi Panther
December 11th, 2008, 02:28 PM
http://www.jmusports.com//pics27/1024/SH/SHQZBQGLOHOBMMD.20070624181149.jpg

End-zone seating may be a bit larger this year.

The smoke-stack in the background looked cool on tvxthumbsupx

appfan2008
December 11th, 2008, 02:49 PM
what year are you going to tear down the first side and throw up the double decker thing?

JmuSkinsfan
December 11th, 2008, 02:56 PM
tear down after next year, rebuild first tier for 2010 season...then put the deck on top for the 2011 season...then the endzone before the 2012 season

Ronbo
December 11th, 2008, 03:44 PM

I see all these schools like JMU and MSU with the great vids and pics. What is your time frame? With MSU it's Phase 1 - Phase IV that is going to take 25 years.

Is that stadium you show going to take 20 plus years before it's like that? I notice it's phases and phases usually have many years between them.

Tod
December 11th, 2008, 03:46 PM
I see all these schools like JMU and MSU with the great vids and pics. What is your time frame? With MSU it's Phase 1 - Phase IV that is going to take 25 years.

Is that stadium you show going to take 20 plus years before it's like that? I notice it's phases and phases usually have many years between them.

Look at the post above yours...

Longhorn
December 11th, 2008, 03:53 PM
The smoke-stack in the background looked cool on tvxthumbsupx

That's where we burn our opponents dead bodies. It's a health thing. ;)

Hoboken Dukes
December 11th, 2008, 04:06 PM
tear down after next year, rebuild first tier for 2010 season...then put the deck on top for the 2011 season...then the endzone before the 2012 season

wait, i thought lower level is torn down and rebuilt after this year. upper deck put on after next season.....

Longhorn
December 11th, 2008, 04:10 PM
wait, i thought lower level is torn down and rebuilt after this year. upper deck put on after next season.....

Tear down begins at the end of the 2009 season.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
December 11th, 2008, 04:31 PM
My question is how much extra walking are the students from Eagle, Chandler, and Shorts going to have to take around the stadium now?

My freshman stay in the 6th floor of Eagle was enough to make me wish that the stadium was elsewhere...

Silly freshman me...

Screamin_Eagle174
December 11th, 2008, 04:44 PM

You obviously have never shot a game in Cheney. xsmhx

griz&beer
December 11th, 2008, 04:55 PM

Yes sir,

Ronbo
December 11th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Look at the post above yours...

Ha, I posted on a previous page where the pics and video were posted. Then after I posted I saw someone had already answered a couple pages later. xoopsx

Hansel
December 11th, 2008, 05:53 PM

An outstanding stadium!

Looks like an overgrown Stambaugh

JMad03
December 11th, 2008, 07:50 PM
There really isn't a good photo of the final product, but there is a pretty decent youtube video.

SideLine Shooter
December 11th, 2008, 09:19 PM
You obviously have never shot a game in Cheney. xsmhx

Never had the opportunity. Would love to.

JmuSlacker
December 11th, 2008, 10:10 PM

An outstanding stadium!

I might be the only one here, but I *hate* that new thing.
I've been going to JMU games since '88, and I love the closed end-zone idea, but have you SEEN the Montana stadium? It's perfect! Seats all around, reasonable upper deck, it's just right.

The drawings of the new bridgeforth stadium make it look like we're trying to be Va Tech. We're not, and won't ever be. And I'm OK with that. We can't sell 50,000 tickets to a JMU game, and shouldn't try. But if we could seat (and hold the sound of) 25,000 people every week, I'd be thrilled. Just make the lower half of the new thing and put it all around the field, and we'd have an awfully nice stadium.

Just sayin'.

JmuSkinsfan
December 12th, 2008, 02:04 AM
I might be the only one here, but I *hate* that new thing.
I've been going to JMU games since '88, and I love the closed end-zone idea, but have you SEEN the Montana stadium? It's perfect! Seats all around, reasonable upper deck, it's just right.

The drawings of the new bridgeforth stadium make it look like we're trying to be Va Tech. We're not, and won't ever be. And I'm OK with that. We can't sell 50,000 tickets to a JMU game, and shouldn't try. But if we could seat (and hold the sound of) 25,000 people every week, I'd be thrilled. Just make the lower half of the new thing and put it all around the field, and we'd have an awfully nice stadium.

Just sayin'.

We are going up. Clearly. We won't be attempting to draw 50,000 to FCS games. We are going up. And it will be at a better level than the ACC ... we will out draw UVA and Va tech as far as recruits...might take a while...but it will happen in the next 10-15 years if they are going this route

Dignan
December 12th, 2008, 05:06 AM
We are going up. Clearly. We won't be attempting to draw 50,000 to FCS games. We are going up. And it will be at a better level than the ACC ... we will out draw UVA and Va tech as far as recruits...might take a while...but it will happen in the next 10-15 years if they are going this route

I'll believe that when I see it. And "better level than the ACC?" What could we be talking about? The SEC? Honestly I couldn't see that happening.

I know that UVA and Va Tech weren't big programs either until the 80's or even 90's, but they are the two most known schools in VA, and were before then too. It would be extremely difficult for JMU to make some huge leap and surpass them in name recognition, attendance, recruiting and football quality (these things all go hand in hand of course). Add to that the massive lead that UVA and Tech have over JMU in alumni bases and we're way behind in the alumni donor category too.

The idea of moving up to FBS has seemed intriguing to people at JMU for years now, but unless they do it the right way and somehow manage to put themselves in a position to compete in the highest level at FBS, then I hope they don't do it. I would rather compete for championships every year in a fun and logical level like the FCS than be a mediocre team in a mediocre conference in FBS.

JMUDuke2002
December 12th, 2008, 05:55 AM
I'll believe that when I see it. And "better level than the ACC?" What could we be talking about? The SEC? Honestly I couldn't see that happening.

I know that UVA and Va Tech weren't big programs either until the 80's or even 90's, but they are the two most known schools in VA, and were before then too. It would be extremely difficult for JMU to make some huge leap and surpass them in name recognition, attendance, recruiting and football quality (these things all go hand in hand of course). Add to that the massive lead that UVA and Tech have over JMU in alumni bases and we're way behind in the alumni donor category too.

The idea of moving up to FBS has seemed intriguing to people at JMU for years now, but unless they do it the right way and somehow manage to put themselves in a position to compete in the highest level at FBS, then I hope they don't do it. I would rather compete for championships every year in a fun and logical level like the FCS than be a mediocre team in a mediocre conference in FBS.

I agree with you on any suggestion that JMU would somehow surpass Tech or UVa in the "near" future, but 20 to 25 years from now I could see us competing on the same level as both schools. Not saying it would happen, but not out the realm of possibility. The reason I say this comes down to numbers.

JMU is making a major investment in infastructure both in athletics and academics. Spending 52 million for one phase of a stadium expansion for staying FCS seems a little out there. Also, the new stadium will be perfectly designed to expand quickly to the size needed for FBS. The future plans indicate at the very least a desire to go to FBS and if the money is there, it will happen.

The academic expansion is for the increasing number of students that will be arriving on campus over the next 4 years. Like it or not, JMU will be a school with 22,000 students by the start of the 2012 fall semester. Universities with football programs that have 22,000 students typically are not in FCS. A growing alumni base that is already near and in a few short years surpass 100,000 also indicates that support will be there, if any program is successful.

This is just what I think. JMU has many things going for itself, but also some downsides--conference affiliation being the number one reason success will be decades away. But, as I said, we will see. I am happy now competing for national titles--still the only VA school with a national title in football if I remember correctly. So, for the near future, JMU is fine and happy where it is. But, I can't see that status quo being maintain for more than 10 years before the next university president will attempt to make the jump. Just my 2 cents.

To get back on topic, the stadium is great. It may seem small my Montana's standards, but it will be plenty loud enough. Go dukes! Should be a great game.

appfan2008
December 12th, 2008, 08:12 AM
There really isn't a good photo of the final product, but there is a pretty decent youtube video.

nice video... good luck with that... i would love to see it happen for you guys but i honestly wont believe all of that until it happens...

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 12th, 2008, 08:14 AM
nice video... good luck with that... i would love to see it happen for you guys but i honestly wont believe all of that until it happens...

Might have had a shot at it had our Home and Home with you guys been renewed. Sell that mother out every time.

appfan2008
December 12th, 2008, 08:15 AM
well yeah but you wont when towson or northeastern or some other schools inyour conference come to town and that happens a lot more than app

mcveyrl
December 12th, 2008, 08:17 AM

I will be absolutely thrilled if Phase I gets done (two decks, the end zone).

That's all I'm hoping for.

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 12th, 2008, 08:18 AM
well yeah but you wont when towson or northeastern or some other schools inyour conference come to town and that happens a lot more than app

Depends on how many students they let into the stands xnodx 5500 out of over 18k students. I think more will come.

appfan2008
December 12th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Depends on how many students they let into the stands xnodx 5500 out of over 18k students. I think more will come.

all the students that want to come to app games come and we get over 10k on average out of 16k student body but only about 14k that live in boone the other 2k go to satellite campuses... so over 10k on average out of 14k is pretty damn good IMO

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 12th, 2008, 08:22 AM
all the students that want to come to app games come and we get over 10k on average out of 16k student body but only about 14k that live in boone the other 2k go to satellite campuses... so over 10k on average out of 14k is pretty damn good IMO

Hence why if there is more student seating available I think we could easily bolster our numbers. Especially since we'll be breaking into the 20k-22k in the next few years. However, beyond that everything is a bit muggy. I believe as long as Mickey is in charge we will be competitive and hopefully continue to influence the area to come to games. Hopefully the new stadium generates it's fair share of hype as well. However, I have no illusions that we will not be able to sell out a 30k-40k stadium within the next few years. I would be EXTREMELY happy if we could sell out 25k game after game in the next few years.

th0m
December 12th, 2008, 08:26 AM
I don't know for sure, but I think season-tickets are capped at a certain number I thought.