PDA

View Full Version : Dear ESPN

mtgrizfan4life
December 8th, 2008, 11:31 PM
PLEASE PLEASE give us (FCS fans)announce teams that know and appreciate FCS football. Landers and Chapman were the best playoff announce team ever in my opinion of FCS playoff football. Please give us fans that kind of knowledge and professionalism for all remaining playoff games. Our fans, teams and universities have earned this request. I feell it is not asking or expecting too much from ESPN.

I will preface this before the games. Last year I banned all BCS bowl games aired by ESPN and ABC because of past unprofessionalism of our FCS playoff games. I will do that again this year too if the remaining 3 playoff games turnout to be a BCS Bowl game LOVEFEST!!!! I am certain many AGers will agree with me on this subject.

What do all FCS fans say about this? Please vent, and to anyone with ESPN connections please forward these responses to them or have them read this thread for what we fans expect. These are our games not BCS games, please respect that!!!!

Thank you, a die hard FCS and college football fan. xthumbsupx

igo4uni
December 8th, 2008, 11:40 PM
ESPN promotes the bowls because that's where the $$ are. I wish it was not true, but it is. business is business, imo.

mtgrizfan4life
December 8th, 2008, 11:48 PM
It is also stupid to turn off a whole fanbase, a good percentage of FCS fans. Last year I banned all ESPN/ABC bowl games. The previous year I kept track of who was advertising on BCS bowl games and for the most part avoided buying products from companies sponsoring those bowls. So with their current attitude they are losing some fan interest. I just wish more FCS fans had the restraint possible to ban BCS bowl games too.

putter
December 8th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Yes, the BS is where the money is at but during an FCS broadcast - enough with the bowel crap! Keep it focused on who is playing and give those kids the respect they deserve

BDKJMU
December 9th, 2008, 01:09 AM
It is also stupid to turn off a whole fanbase, a good percentage of FCS fans. Last year I banned all ESPN/ABC bowl games. The previous year I kept track of who was advertising on BCS bowl games and for the most part avoided buying products from companies sponsoring those bowls. So with their current attitude they are losing some fan interest. I just wish more FCS fans had the restraint possible to ban BCS bowl games too.

1st of all, you have 10-50x the fans and viewers of the BCS games as you do the playoff semis & NC. And even 99% of the I-AA fans aren't going to be turned off enough to participate in your little boycott that you and maybe 5 other people across the country will participate in. xrolleyesx

mtgrizfan4life
December 9th, 2008, 01:37 AM
I do not mind the plugs, but keep it between breaks, not during the damn game. Hell they give more props to their beloved hs games that have much less fan impact that FCS football. Admit it or not, this pisses off FCS fans. That is okay the GRIZ will knock some sense into you and your team senseless. It WILL be a better game than most JMU fans are expecting.

appstate1998
December 9th, 2008, 03:12 AM
I think it sucks...but just be glad they are airing it at all

ASUMountaineer
December 9th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Aren't the BCS games (except the Rose Bowl) on Fox? Boycotting Fox does nothing to ESPN--they're actually rivals.

andy7171
December 9th, 2008, 07:17 AM
xthumbsupx
Like it or not, FCS fans barely amount to 1-2% of the college football crowd.
If you don't want the commentary to revolve around BCS talk, put it on mute.

appfan2008
December 9th, 2008, 07:19 AM
I really am just glad that they show as many of our games on their networks that they do!

Eight Legger
December 9th, 2008, 07:22 AM
I really am just glad that they show as many of our games on their networks that they do!

I am getting tired of hearing Mike and Mike talk about the Division 2 playoffs every morning. I am sure they think they are referring to FCS playoffs but they are too stupid to realize their mistake, and no one bothers correcting them.

SideLine Shooter
December 9th, 2008, 07:26 AM

I'm with you 98. I appreciate the fact that we get some respect and the air time. I do talk to people from accross the country that love to watch FCS games on TV that say it is refreshing to see after all the hype given to the BIG BOYS.xnodx

WVAPPmountaineer
December 9th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Sorry - don't hold your breath - ESPN uses our games to promote the Heisman show and all their bowl games - unfortunately they do it during our LIVE ACTION - most likely you will get a JV crew of announcers - that being said, I have to say that Pam Ward is very good and knows the FCS and the two guys APP had for the Halloween game (the color guy was Huard) I thought were the best we have had ---

nmatsen
December 9th, 2008, 07:52 AM
I am just glad that the only person I have to listen to this weekend is Bob Justis!

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEE EEEEEEEEEEEE
COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEE
THE PANTHERS!

CrackerRiley
December 9th, 2008, 07:58 AM
I can't remember what it's like to watch the games on t.v. so this is like a new experience for me seeing what the announcers have to say. :p xwhistlex

19Duke97
December 9th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Sorry - don't hold your breath - ESPN uses our games to promote the Heisman show and all their bowl games - unfortunately they do it during our LIVE ACTION - most likely you will get a JV crew of announcers - that being said, I have to say that Pam Ward is very good and knows the FCS and the two guys APP had for the Halloween game (the color guy was Huard) I thought were the best we have had ---

I thought Huard was awful. He knew nothing about FCS, and it was obvious. He was enchanted with AE, and was making magnanimous comments about him the whole game without doing his research on any other player. IMO, the commentators at the smaller networks such as Comcast have always had more understanding, and therefor better and more apt commentary on the game. And, as stated, they don't feel the need, nor are they required to inject a stream of BCS commentary throughout the game, unless they feel a certain FCS player could be playing at that level, which I can tolerate those comparisons.

ur2k
December 9th, 2008, 08:40 AM
I'm just happy the games are on TV.

A few options, if you have a DVR - turn on your local guy and sync up the broadcasts. Or go to a bar, have a few cold sodas and don't worry about what the clowns on ESPN are saying.

100%GRIZ
December 9th, 2008, 09:56 AM
I ban the Bowl games because it is not a fair system. Who the hell is to say a Utah or Boise State couldn't win it all. Just because they may be in a weaker conference doesn't mean they couldn't win it all!!! I will maybe watch #1 play #2 in the BCS. The rest is all a waste of my time!!!

ASUMountaineer
December 9th, 2008, 10:08 AM
I ban the Bowl games because it is not a fair system. Who the hell is to say a Utah or Boise State couldn't win it all. Just because they may be in a weaker conference doesn't mean they couldn't win it all!!! I will maybe watch #1 play #2 in the BCS. The rest is all a waste of my time!!!

I understand your argument against there not being a playoff. But, I will watch most of the bowl games because I enjoy watching football. It doesn't really matter to me what teams I'm watching--I just love football. To each their own.

mtgrizfan4life
December 10th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Today at work we talked about this subject with myself and 10 other college football fans. All but one said they hear too much as it is about all the BCS bowl game matchups and are tired of the hype in less than a week. They much prefer watching the FCS playoffs when ESPN sticks to promoting the game, players, and universities playing the given game. One guy (a Nebraska Fan was really pissed about the GRIZ/UMASS game. He had heard so much good things about GRIZNATION. He was pissed to no end they did not give him some insight about our programs, colleges, players, coaches, and communities. Every one of these guys watch the FCS playoffs being they are football fans and even more love the playoff the format.

BTW the only guy that liked all the BCS hype is Florida fan. We joked with him the only reason he has that opinion is because the last few years Florida has been getting most of the ink and hype. He admitted it "DAMN RIGHT, more Gator talk the better!" Later admitted though he hated listening to the hype for any game or program not involving Florida.

The same guy also watched the GRIZ/WSU game on Altitude. He even said that is the kind of broadcast he likes, and said it was nice to hear about the teams playing. BTW, he loves the way Reynolds, Quinn, and Anderson play football. He say the Dolphins better add 2 more GRIZ next year, Anderson and Quinn or he will be PISSED!

mainejeff
December 10th, 2008, 10:59 AM
ESPN/Disney is missing the boat BIG TIME with FCS football. This is a division and playoff format that they should be promoting! Enough of the D2 and D3 stuff........promote every round of the FCS playoffs. I'm sure that the divisions members would work with ESPN on dates and game times in order to get their games televised. And while we aren't talking about a lot of major media markets/alumni bases.......we are talking about entire states that become captive audiences (Maine, NH, Montana, Delaware, North Dakota, South Dakota) not to mention other regions and cities that have successful programs. They could also promote the countless players in the NFL that have come out of the FCS. It is frustrating that our sport is BY FAR the most overlooked, under promoted, and disrespected college sport out there! xmadx

UNIFanSince1983
December 10th, 2008, 11:09 AM
They do need to promote FCS more, but it would be a travesty to take the D2 and D3 championships off of TV. Those are two games I love watching also. Those D3 kids really just play for the love of the game. They aren't getting scholarships so they are working hard in school and on the football field.

LacesOut
December 10th, 2008, 11:24 AM
1) Be happy that any I-AA game is on national TV.

2) ESPN is showing these games, so therefore they have the right to say and do anything they want during their televising of said games.

3) To each their own, but what kind of true college football fan bans themselves from watching some of the bowl games???!!!!! The bowl season is an awesome time of the football year! It's what college football is about. And you'd miss some of the games because of a personal vendetta against ESPN??? Well that's your prerogative.

WVAPPmountaineer
December 10th, 2008, 11:30 AM
I thought Huard was awful. He knew nothing about FCS, and it was obvious. He was enchanted with AE, and was making magnanimous comments about him the whole game without doing his research on any other player. IMO, the commentators at the smaller networks such as Comcast have always had more understanding, and therefor better and more apt commentary on the game. And, as stated, they don't feel the need, nor are they required to inject a stream of BCS commentary throughout the game, unless they feel a certain FCS player could be playing at that level, which I can tolerate those comparisons.

yeah but it will be ESPN - Bob Rathbun who used to do the SoCon games for SportsSouth and still does the Braves, ACC basketball, etc, was the absolute best - We have Sam Wyche now doing color on the SoCon games and he certainly knows football, he is just absolutely terrible in the booth - As per the Halloween game I mentioned, the play by play guy did the Jet games if I remember correctly and he was good ---

elcid96
December 10th, 2008, 11:30 AM
They own 6 bowl games. What did you expect?

CrackerRiley
December 10th, 2008, 11:58 AM
I understand your argument against there not being a playoff. But, I will watch most of the bowl games because I enjoy watching football. It doesn't really matter to me what teams I'm watching--I just love football. To each their own.

This is part of the argument to keep the bowls games! Don't do it!
I enjoy watching football games too, but there is a big difference in watching a bunch of football games that mean nothing the next day and a bunch of games that lead to an outcome.

DOME
December 10th, 2008, 12:47 PM
The only positive thing I will say about the BCS is that it makes every game count. Can't decide if its better that way or not.
I will say that if I myself was playing I'd like to be able to take a mulligan and still get in the playoffs.

But fcs games aren't the only time announcers piss me off, if I want to watch the cubs beat the daylights out of the reds let's watch that and quit jabbering about the redsox playing the yankees! They do that all the time to play up what they want to get the best ratings...

19Duke97
December 10th, 2008, 01:31 PM
yeah but it will be ESPN - Bob Rathbun who used to do the SoCon games for SportsSouth and still does the Braves, ACC basketball, etc, was the absolute best - We have Sam Wyche now doing color on the SoCon games and he certainly knows football, he is just absolutely terrible in the booth - As per the Halloween game I mentioned, the play by play guy did the Jet games if I remember correctly and he was good ---

Was watching ESPNU yesterday and Huard referred to Rodney Landers as "Rodney Flanders". You would think that since he's a Walter Payton award finalist, he could at least get that name right... xoopsx xlolx

jsugamecocks1
December 10th, 2008, 01:34 PM

Heck USC plays in a very weak conference and they praise them and let them be at the top of the BcS every year and they never hardly play any teams that are even capable of challenge. That souldn't be a factor of the conference Boise should have proved the point when they beat Oklahoma on a Neutral field in the Fiesta Bowl

Bronco
December 10th, 2008, 01:50 PM
ESPN college football today had a segment on both playoff games and was very good.

Email your friends that normally watch FBS and tell them to tune in Friday and Saturday.

ASUMountaineer
December 10th, 2008, 01:54 PM
This is part of the argument to keep the bowls games! Don't do it!
I enjoy watching football games too, but there is a big difference in watching a bunch of football games that mean nothing the next day and a bunch of games that lead to an outcome.

I know, but I can't help it. There's nothing else on TV anymore. Everything, pretty much, sucks now.

joecooll6
December 10th, 2008, 02:07 PM
PLEASE PLEASE give us (FCS fans)announce teams that know and appreciate FCS football. Landers and Chapman were the best playoff announce team ever in my opinion of FCS playoff football. Please give us fans that kind of knowledge and professionalism for all remaining playoff games. Our fans, teams and universities have earned this request. I feell it is not asking or expecting too much from ESPN.

I will preface this before the games. Last year I banned all BCS bowl games aired by ESPN and ABC because of past unprofessionalism of our FCS playoff games. I will do that again this year too if the remaining 3 playoff games turnout to be a BCS Bowl game LOVEFEST!!!! I am certain many AGers will agree with me on this subject.

What do all FCS fans say about this? Please vent, and to anyone with ESPN connections please forward these responses to them or have them read this thread for what we fans expect. These are our games not BCS games, please respect that!!!!

Thank you, a die hard FCS and college football fan. xthumbsupx

They also plug the BCS games during other FBS Bowl games as well. It isnt just the FCS.

WVAPPmountaineer
December 10th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Was watching ESPNU yesterday and Huard referred to Rodney Landers as "Rodney Flanders". You would think that since he's a Walter Payton award finalist, he could at least get that name right... xoopsx xlolx

You are right - it's crap like that that really burns me up - do some homework if you want to be on tv --- As per Landers, look I think Armanti is the most exciting player I have seen and I'm an old head BUT if I had a vote for the Payton, it would be for Landers - he is the absolute heart and soul of your team and one hell of a player - he reminds me of Richie Williams for us during his senior season ----

madisonfan87
December 10th, 2008, 08:45 PM
We can look at it this way, at least WE don't have to worry about handful of crappy bowl games no ones cares to watch or go to in the FCS. Definitely in agreement that something needs to be done with FCS coverage. ESPN needs to have a separate group that works on FCS and lower conferences for college football period. After Appy proved they could hang with the big schools its almost a necessity at this point.

Pattycakes
December 10th, 2008, 09:15 PM
i'm just happy espn is broadcasting the games so i can watch the griz for the first time this year. Oh and would people please quit saying "ban"....the word your looking for is boycott.