PDA

View Full Version : Southern Running Risk of Dropping to D-II?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 8th, 2008, 11:02 AM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=southern-jaguars-seeking-to-bounce-back-&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Richardson said what he really wants are linemen who can transfer to Southern next semester. That way, they can be on campus for spring practice.

“That’ll help us out a great deal — especially on the offensive line, where you have to really learn the system,” Richardson said.

Of course, there’s a risk with junior-college transfers. Many of them have suspect grades, suspect work ethic or both.

One example: Byron Jones, a lineman from Garden City (Kan.) Community College, hit the road after only a few days in training camp this summer.

Southern can’t afford to miss with too many more recruits.

The NCAA has already hit Southern with scholarship reductions because of the school’s low Academic Progress Rate (APR). If the Jaguars continue to falter, they’ll run the risk of dropping to Division II.

Is this true? Can the Jags, or any other school in trouble with the APR, be purposefully demoted to D-II if they're not in compliance? I don't think that is true. However, is it really being considered at Southern?

If SU is going to be forcibly demoted due to APR woes, it is quite possible that other schools that have been in APR trouble - Jacksonville State, Weber State and UT Chattanooga among others - may also be affected. That's why it's very important to clarify this. Can they really be forcibly demoted?

GannonFan
December 8th, 2008, 11:07 AM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=southern-jaguars-seeking-to-bounce-back-&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Is this true? Can the Jags, or any other school in trouble with the APR, be purposefully demoted to D-II if they're not in compliance? I don't think that is true. However, is it really being considered at Southern?

If SU is going to be forcibly demoted due to APR woes, it is quite possible that other schools that have been in APR trouble - Jacksonville State, Weber State and UT Chattanooga among others - may also be affected. That's why it's very important to clarify this. Can they really be forcibly demoted?

That doesn't make any sense. It's not like DII schools are DII schools because they are not academically sound schools, which is what that implies.

3rd Coast Tiger
December 8th, 2008, 11:20 AM
It'll never happen.

Libertine
December 8th, 2008, 11:23 AM
This writer has no idea what they're talking about. The NCAA can't force a school to drop down a level and -- per NCAA rules -- SU couldn't drop to DII in football without dropping down to that level in nearly every other sport as well. Scholarship losses due to APR penalties max out at 10%, or 6.3 scholarships at the FCS level. If further APR penalties are warranted after the scholarship cuts, the NCAA can impose sanctions such as restrictions on recruiting, scheduling or postseason play.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 8th, 2008, 11:28 AM
This writer has no idea what they're talking about. The NCAA can't force a school to drop down a level and -- per NCAA rules -- SU couldn't drop to DII in football without dropping down to that level in nearly every other sport as well. Scholarship losses due to APR penalties max out at 10%, or 6.3 scholarships at the FCS level. If further APR penalties are warranted after the scholarship cuts, the NCAA can impose sanctions such as restrictions on recruiting, scheduling or postseason play.

There is a precedent, though - while never been enforced by the NCAA, there used to be an attendance "threshold" that schools needed to maintain to keep their FBS status - otherwise, they were supposed to be "forcibly" moved to FCS. Granted, it would only apply to football - since FCS is still Division I. It was that rule which set off some red flags here.

Even if the NCAA cannot forcibly demote the program to D-II, might the writer be implying that Southern is considering it - because of their APR woes?

Grizalltheway
December 8th, 2008, 11:29 AM

Well, that won't have any effect on Southern. Or Chattanooga, for that matter. xrotatehx

GannonFan
December 8th, 2008, 11:30 AM
There is a precedent, though - while never been enforced by the NCAA, there used to be an attendance "threshold" that schools needed to maintain to keep their FBS status - otherwise, they were supposed to be "forcibly" moved to FCS. Granted, it would only apply to football - since FCS is still Division I. It was that rule which set off some red flags here.

Even if the NCAA cannot forcibly demote the program to D-II, might the writer be implying that Southern is considering it - because of their APR woes?

Why would they go down to DII and the max of schollies somewhere in the range of 30-40 if they can stay FCS, only max out a loss of 6 schollies, and still give at least 20 more schollies than they could at the DII level?

TexasTerror
December 8th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Well, that won't have any effect on Southern. Or Chattanooga, for that matter. xrotatehx

Yes it would -- the SWAC Championship Game is considered a 'postseason event'. The NCAA does not allow teams to participate in both because of such (similar to Gridiron Classic).

LFN -- I think we saw mention of this a few months back. It would be a devastating blow for their program if they continue to rack up more scholarship reductions, especially as it relates to getting guarantee games against FBS opposition, if they were to not qualify for that anymore due to rules around that.

Grizalltheway
December 8th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Yes it would -- the SWAC Championship Game is considered a 'postseason event'. The NCAA does not allow teams to participate in both because of such (similar to Gridiron Classic).

LFN -- I think we saw mention of this a few months back. It would be a devastating blow for their program if they continue to rack up more scholarship reductions, especially as it relates to getting guarantee games against FBS opposition, if they were to not qualify for that anymore due to rules around that.

xoopsx Forgot about that. But I stand by my Chattanooga comment-unless they wouldn't let them host the NC game because of it. xeyebrowx

Lehigh Football Nation
December 8th, 2008, 12:10 PM

We did, but AFAIK it's the first mention of demoting to D-II, either forcibly by the NCAA or through the active participation of SU.

I sure hope not. I want the SWAC in the FCS playoffs!

RationalGriz
December 8th, 2008, 12:22 PM
I think this is more of an opinion than fact. But I can understand the basis. If Southern continues to do poorly academically leading to even more losses in schollies, they will definately be at a competitve disadvantage in the FCS. He mentions D-2 not because they are a lower academic option, but more because they treat the issue differently, and not as harshly.

813Jag
December 8th, 2008, 01:36 PM
There's a window of time for Southern to get in order. They've taken steps to improve academically. this was the first season in quite some time that there weren't many inelgible players.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 8th, 2008, 02:14 PM
There's a window of time for Southern to get in order. They've taken steps to improve academically. this was the first season in quite some time that there weren't many inelgible players.

813, I do see that SU is taking steps to get in line with the APR. But is dropping to D-II really on the table for you guys?

813Jag
December 8th, 2008, 02:25 PM
813, I do see that SU is taking steps to get in line with the APR. But is dropping to D-II really on the table for you guys?
I haven't heard anything. Other than when the APR story broke in the summer there hasn't been much talk about it.

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 8th, 2008, 04:43 PM
NO