PDA

View Full Version : What are your dream matchups?

SU Jag
November 16th, 2005, 08:58 PM
We all wish that our teams would play someone that you're not familiar with seeing. So what are some of you're dream match ups?

MarkCCU
November 16th, 2005, 09:05 PM
I would enjoy seeing The Citadel play Coastal Carolina xazzx For the reason that the schools are close by and somewhere in the world Citdawg would have a mini heart attack when he hears the news of the two meeting and rush back into our lives.

SU Jag
November 16th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Jacksonville State vs. Troy(D-1A)-this was once a great rilvary game but Troy moved to D-1A

Jacksonville State vs. Alabama State
Southern vs. Georgia Southern
Jacksonville State vs. North Alabama(D-2)
Georgia Southern vs. Montana
Grambling vs. Furman
UC Davis vs McNeese
McNeese vs Grambling
Alabama A&M vs Samford
Texas State vs Colgate
Alabama A&M vs Tuskegee(D2)
Georgia Southern vs Valdosta State(D2)

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 16th, 2005, 09:21 PM
We've never got a chance to play Montana State, Richmond, Eastern Washington, Sam Houston State, or Southern Illinois. If we have played any of these teams, I don't remember

I'd also like a reunion with Stephen F. Austin, Northern Iowa, Eastern Kentucky, or William and Mary (payback for that loss at home in '97).

Also, I'd like to play any lower-tier IA team, but we can't seem to get them to play us.

Grizo406
November 16th, 2005, 09:50 PM
I'd like to see the Griz play that team from down south...the one that plays next to beautiful Eagle Creek, in Washington/Grizzly Stadium of course.

CatFan22
November 16th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Montana State - Montana National Championship.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 16th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Eastern Washington vs Washington State

Call it the Tumbleweed Cup or something like that.
If the cougs play in any way like they have this season, they should "coug" it once again, especially against one of the top ranked I-AA teams in the nation.

Chi Panther
November 16th, 2005, 10:11 PM
I'd have to say Montana in the UNI-Dome.....

AppState09
November 16th, 2005, 10:13 PM
We want Furman in Boone

GO APPS FIGHT APPS KICK A$$

UMass922
November 16th, 2005, 10:15 PM
As someone who grew up in CT and went to UMass:

UMass-UConn in the Big East as a big-time rivalry-week game. New England has Harvard-Yale, but it doesn't have a premiere, national-attention-getting I-A rivalry. I want it to be New England's version of Michigan-Ohio St., Auburn-Alabama, etc. Something the entire region goes crazy about and draws sides over.

It's pure fantasy, of course, mainly because New Englanders just don't get jazzed about college football at whatever level. Even Harvard-Yale doesn't do it: as renowned as that rivalry is, enthusiasm for it is pretty much limited to alumns of, and students at, those respective schools. It's not something anyone else really cares about.

UMass922
November 16th, 2005, 10:23 PM
As for other I-AA teams:

After splitting our back-to-back playoff meetings in '98-'99, I'd love to see UMass hook up with Georgia Southern in the regular season every now and then. We met on a neutral field in Chattanooga for the championship in '98 (though in terms of crowd balance, it was more or less a home game for GSU), and in Statesboro in the quarters the following year, but not yet in Amherst. So I'd like to see that.

Other than that, I guess I'd go the predictable route and say that I'd love to see us play a lot of the traditional I-AA powers and storied teams outside the A-10 that we never get to see: teams like Montana and Grambling, for instance. And I'd love to see some of the classic HBCUs bring their bands up to Amherst . . .

GrizSweeper
November 16th, 2005, 10:39 PM
I'd say any Southland team in missoula for the playoffs is a dream matchup for me

McNeese75
November 16th, 2005, 11:00 PM
I'd say any Southland team in missoula for the playoffs is a dream matchup for me

Not this year, but maybe in 2006 any BSC team in "The Hole". Would sure like another shot at Umass or Maine as well. :D

grizband
November 16th, 2005, 11:14 PM
Montana State - Montana National Championship.
That would be ridiculous! Might be one of the highest attended title games ever.

beerkat
November 16th, 2005, 11:43 PM
I would like Montana to play at Sam Houston in the playoffs, but I'm not lucky enough for that to happen

mainejeff
November 16th, 2005, 11:48 PM
My Top 5 dream home match-ups vs. I-AA:

1. Georgia Southern
2. Northern Iowa
3. Appalachian State
4. Montana State
5. Furman

My Top 5 dream road match-ups vs. I-AA:

1. at Harvard
2. at Lehigh
3. at Cal Poly
4. at North Dakota State
5. at Montana State

ASU Kep
November 16th, 2005, 11:53 PM
We want Furman in Boone

GO APPS FIGHT APPS KICK A$$

If we were guaranteed to win em all, my perfect playoff scenario would be:

1st round: CCU @ App (speaks for itself)

2nd round: Furman @ App (ooooh boy, 7OT deluxe)

Semi's: App @ Montana (scene of the crime)

Chatty: Appalachian State Mountaineers v. Georgia Southern Eagles (GOD, I would LOOOOOVE it if we beat em in the finals).

With that being said...I dont care who we play...just that we win...but MAN, wouldnt this be awesome?

...non-playoff wise, I wish we'd play UNC...maybe someday the pansies will step up to the plate.

crunifan
November 16th, 2005, 11:55 PM
I'd like to see the following teams play AT the UNI-Dome:

Montana
Georgia Southern
Furman
UMass
North Dakota State

MR. CHICKEN
November 17th, 2005, 07:28 AM
[email protected] FIELD!........:nod:........AWK!

89Hen
November 17th, 2005, 07:58 AM
[email protected] FIELD!........:nod:........AWK!
:nod: and AppSt a close second. A dream match-up should be against somebody you haven't played, no? (or at least a team you haven't hosted).

LacesOut
November 17th, 2005, 08:00 AM
It will always, for me, be UD vs. Del State.

WYOBISONMAN
November 17th, 2005, 09:11 AM
For the Mighty Bison.....

DI-AA

Montana -(at the Fargodome...it is your turn to visit!)
Montana State - Happens in two years
Georgia Southern - We have to finish what out little brother to the south couldn't! :D
Maine - We were supposed to play, but 9-11 stopped that game!
UNI - What a great match up between two DOME teams!
Furman - Hell, I used to live in Greenville, SC!

DI-A
Minnesota - Happening in 2007!!!
Iowa State - My bother-in law is Asst. AD and it would make holidays very VERY festive if the Bison ever beat the Cyclones!!
Wyoming - Hey....I live here.....a Win against the Cowboys would make LIFE great here in WYO!!
Clemson - I have been to many games at Death Valley. It would be fun to see the Bison there.....

GannonFan
November 17th, 2005, 09:17 AM
I'm always partial to a home and home with Montana. We're still leading the series with them 1-0, btw! ;)

griz37
November 17th, 2005, 11:25 AM
I would love to see UMass come to Missoula & have their rears handed to them. Would also love a home w/Georgia Souther & McNeese.

Grizzaholic
November 17th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Call me old or whatever, but I always liked watching the Boise vs Montana games whether they be there or here. Gotta love the 'Smurf Turf'

GreatAppSt
November 17th, 2005, 02:37 PM
I want to see GSU in ASU's bracket for a second round meeting in Boone if both survive the 1st round. Then UM in the other bracket for a possible nuetral site match in Nooga if both survive to that level.

With a little luck and a lot of hardnosed play by the Apps I could have most of my playoff demons exorcised in one years playoffs.

2001 ASU lead the GSU series by one game. Back to back losses in the 'boro and losing the series lead all in one season made 2001 a very bitter pill to swallow. I'd love to let the GSU faithful feel that same puking stomach knot for their entire off season. It was a painful spank and I'm still emotionally raw for it. Mr. Commiteeman please bring GSU back to Boone. :)

As for UM I still want a rematch from 2000. But I don't see the Commitee placing UM or ASU in the same bracket. So more than likely this season the only matchup for a ASU-UM game would be for all the marbles, IMHO and wish # 2. :)

McNeeserocket
November 17th, 2005, 03:03 PM
My Top 5 dream home match-ups vs. I-AA:

1. Georgia Southern
2. Northern Iowa
3. Appalachian State
4. Montana State
5. Furman

My Top 5 dream road match-ups vs. I-AA:

1. at Harvard
2. at Lehigh
3. at Cal Poly
4. at North Dakota State
5. at Montana State

Hey MaineJeff, what happened to wanting to play McNeese? I know I would love to visit Maine for a game in the early Fall.

Ronbo
November 17th, 2005, 03:13 PM
I want to see GSU in ASU's bracket for a second round meeting in Boone if both survive the 1st round. Then UM in the other bracket for a possible nuetral site match in Nooga if both survive to that level.

With a little luck and a lot of hardnosed play by the Apps I could have most of my playoff demons exorcised in one years playoffs.

2001 ASU lead the GSU series by one game. Back to back losses in the 'boro and losing the series lead all in one season made 2001 a very bitter pill to swallow. I'd love to let the GSU faithful feel that same puking stomach knot for their entire off season. It was a painful spank and I'm still emotionally raw for it. Mr. Commiteeman please bring GSU back to Boone. :)

As for UM I still want a rematch from 2000. But I don't see the Commitee placing UM or ASU in the same bracket. So more than likely this season the only matchup for a ASU-UM game would be for all the marbles, IMHO and wish # 2. :)

If ASU and UM are #2 and #3 (no particular order) they will be in the same bracket as they put #4 in #1's bracket. Last season we had #1 SIU and #4 GSU in our bracket. It was called the bracket from hell with SIU, GSU, EWU, UM, SHSU, NWSU, and WKU.

yosefcity
November 17th, 2005, 03:16 PM
My dream playoff games are

CCU at App State-Hit em again HARDER HARDER HARDER!!!!!

Furman at App State-Talk about record crowd plus payback is a b****

UNH at App State- Just to prove we can beat #1

Championship App State vs Montana- Game of the year by far

Other 1-AA games I would like to play
Deleware
JMU
Grambling
Florida A&T

1-A Games
NC State (I get my wish next year)
Wake
ECU
Carolina
Duke
Florida
Florida State
Georgia
Tennessee

TypicalTribe
November 17th, 2005, 03:32 PM
UNH at App State- Just to prove we can beat #1

I think the Mountaineers would be on the road for that one

Cap'n Cat
November 17th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Beat Georgia Southern in the semi's.

Beat Montana in the NC.

bluehenbillk
November 17th, 2005, 03:49 PM
My dream matchup is me & Jessica Simpson & Reese Witherspoon...

Oh wait a minute:

as far as 1-AA goes:

UD vs DelState (just once for the novelty)
UD vs Montana
UD vs San Diego (road trip)
UD vs Northern Iowa (I've never seen us play in a dome)
UD vs App State (looks like a cool place to see a game)

Cap'n Cat
November 17th, 2005, 03:53 PM
My dream matchup is me & Jessica Simpson & Reese Witherspoon...

Oh wait a minute:

as far as 1-AA goes:

UD vs DelState (just once for the novelty)
UD vs Montana
UD vs San Diego (road trip)
UD vs Northern Iowa (I've never seen us play in a dome)
UD vs App State (looks like a cool place to see a game)

Intersting you say that, bill. It is an experience. I never knew if our opponents hated playing there because they always got beat and/or they liked it cuz it was somewhat stable conditions, ie, weather, lighting, etc.

It's a fun thing. You gotta do it once.

Agree with the Appy State thing, too. I may make that my big 1-AA trip next year.

:)

NSUDemon98
November 17th, 2005, 04:18 PM
We all wish that our teams would play someone that you're not familiar with seeing. So what are some of you're dream match ups?

After three cold trips to Missoula in late November in 2001, 2002, and 2004 all ending in the same result...I know a lot of us Demons would love to have the Griz down for a humid, 100+ degree August or early September matchup.. ;)

mainejeff
November 17th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Hey MaineJeff, what happened to wanting to play McNeese? I know I would love to visit Maine for a game in the early Fall.

I'd still love to play McNeese State, but assumed that dream games were opponents that your team has never played (or hosted). Maine has played McNeese at home and on the road (as you well know ;) ).

Now if the question was which I-AA teams would you like to schedule a home and home with?......

1. Montana (always at the top of my list)
2. McNeese State
3. Georgia Southern
4. Northern Iowa
5. Appalachian State

VictorG
November 17th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Beat Montana in the NC.

I think you're lost again. This should have gone in the "Post here if your drunk" thread! :) :)

GSUsTALON
November 17th, 2005, 11:01 PM
GaSouthern vs the other GSU

When people say GSU they should always think of GaSouthern.
Well they do now but still...............
Maybe "BET" would cover it!

I can hear it now- GaSoutherns up by 21 but just wait till half time when Gramblings band takes the feild.

JMU Duke Dog
November 17th, 2005, 11:08 PM
My dream nonconference matchups for JMU:

I-AA
Montana at JMU - 2004 national championship rematch
Appalachian State at JMU - Boone is too tough of a place for road teams so bring the Mountaineers to Harrisonburg
Cal Poly at JMU - want to see what Cal Poly is all about
Coastal Carolina at JMU - chance for redemption will come true in 2007
Harvard at JMU - best time for a game would have been first game of 2005

I-A
JMU at Virginia - Mickey Matthews turned them down so it won't happen for awhile
JMU at Miami (FL) - probably lopsided but nice trip and exposure
JMU at Southern Cal - same as above

rabidsaluki
November 17th, 2005, 11:24 PM
As a 1-A matchup would go, I would like a crack at the Illini.

1-AA matchups.

GSU
Furman
Montana
Delaware at the Mac (our place)
McNeese

Harvard Worship
November 18th, 2005, 12:46 AM
I want to see Harvard play:

1) Any Hockey East School (esp. Maine, New Hampshire). It's painful to see us always ousted in the first round of the NCAA tourney by Maine or NH, esp. through OT or 4-goal comebacks or some other shenanigans. Football would be sweet revenge. Although I admit we should have beat Northeastern in Hockey too, it was nice to habitually demolish them in football so as not to feel so bad those times they embarrassed us so in the Beanpot...
2) A northern California school (so I can go see it)
3) BU -- why did they drop football, anyway? They weren't bad.
4) MIT -- Ahh so you think that a prank-blimp that says "Harvard 0, MIT 1" means you're better than us? (btw that's not how we keep score in football, dweebs). Well it don't. You guys have a football team (The DIII MIT "Beavers")--if you wanna see who the real men are in Cambridge, let's organize a scrimmage.
5) Yale.... won't have to wait long...

blur2005
November 18th, 2005, 12:55 AM
I'd like to see JMU play:

I-AA:
-App State, apparently we used to play them years ago
-Georgia Southern
-Furman - rematch of 14-13 thriller last year
-Montana at home
-UNI at UNI to play in a dome

I-A:
-UVA so I could see them at Scott Stadium

Sir Sousaphone
November 18th, 2005, 06:00 AM
McN and Montana have played five times. The home teams have won all five:

1990 Mont 45, McN 22 (@Mont)
1991 McN 31, Mont 3 (@McN)
1994 Mont 30, McN 28 (@Mont, 2nd round playoffs)
1997 McN 19, Mont 14 (@McN, 1st round playoffs)
2002 McN 24, Mont 20 (@McN, 2nd round playoffs)

I would love to see these two mix it up on a NEUTRAL field. One side of the stadium packed with Griz faithful, other side packed with Cowboy fans.

-g

mikebigg
November 18th, 2005, 11:17 AM
I miss the games of my youth (Grambling vs TnState)...I hate that rivalry ever ended. I just like the "Classic" setup for Grambling cuz that's such a money maker. In the past, we have played the third game of the season in Cincinnati, Oh as the Ohio Classic against Bethune Cookman. I would like to see that as an annual event, but rotate the teams of the MEAC into that game.

We definitely need to play the other State Schools. I really would like to play La Tech but that one AIN'T gonna ever happen. An early fall matchup on the against Delaware, James Madison, Eastern Kentucky, App. State, Ga. Southern wouldn't be bad either.

SU Jag
November 18th, 2005, 11:31 AM
I wanna see Grambling and Tuskegee!