PDA

View Full Version : 1978 to 2008: The FCS Top Thirty Lists - Linebackers

CSN-info
December 8th, 2008, 06:07 AM
College Sporting News

The highest level of NCAA Division I championship football began play in 1978 as Division I-AA and from that time there have been numerous top performers throughout the 30 years. Now renamed the Football Championship Subdivision, the following is a list compiled to highlight the Top 30 at the positions of quarterback, runningback, wide receiver, offensive line, defensive line, linebacker, defensive back, kicker/punter, and FCS national championship games as part of our 2008 Yearbook.

This level of football has produced NFL Most Valuable Players such as quarterbacks Kurt Warner and Rich Gannon, Super Bowl MVPs such as Richard Dent, NFL record holders such as Jerry Rice and Steve Christie, and numerous NCAA records. These lists spotlight some of those achievements and gives a sampling of the level of play that the FCS has and continues to produce.

We hope you enjoy this small sampling of the past 30 years of the FCS.

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/stats/writer/Top30/topthirtycover200w.jpg

Read more ... http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=1978-to-2008-the-fcs-top-thirty-lists&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

appstate38
December 8th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Very impressive group!!!! Western Ill. was well represented. May have to consider them LB University! I fully expected for Dexter Coakley to be number 1 until I saw Mr. Charles Haley.... No brainer there.

appfan2008
December 8th, 2008, 07:16 AM
great to see coakley and hackett on the list... 2 of the greatest

B&G
December 8th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Western Illinois = Linebacker U?

appstate38
December 8th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Western Illinois = Linebacker U?

Only because they had more guys on that list than anyone else...

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 8th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Kinda disappointed Akeem Jordan did not make that list.

mcveyrl
December 8th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Kinda disappointed Akeem Jordan did not make that list.

Akeem was a great LB when he finished, but probably didn't deserve to be on the list. His college career in total was good, not great (I think you've got to do something pretty great or win the Buchanan to be a recent LB on here) and his pro career is just starting to take off.

ASUTodd
December 8th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Would be nice to see a top 30 QB list...

fuEMO
December 8th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Kinda shocked Stanford Jennings is not on the list, just some facts to back up my question:

He helped Furman capture four straight league championships and post a 36-9-2 record during his tenure, including wins over both South Carolina (1982) and Georgia Tech (1983). After garnering SoCon Freshman-of-the-Year accolades in 1981, he rushed for over 1,000 yards as a sophomore, junior, and senior to finish his career as the Furman's all-time leading rusher with 3,686 yards and 39 touchdowns. In addition, he caught 76 passes for 865 yards and four touchdowns during his Paladin career.

A three-time All-South Carolina selection and Associated Press third team All-America honoree, he played in both the Blue-Gray All-Star Game and Senior Bowl and in 1984 and became the highest draft selection in Furman football history when he was selected in the third round by the Cincinnati Bengals. A nine-year NFL career ensued, including seven seasons with the Bengals. In Super Bowl XXIII, he returned a kickoff 93 yards for a touchdown in Cincinnati's eventual 20-16 loss to the San Francisco 49ers.

GOKATS
December 8th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Disappointed not to see Corey Widmer from Montana St. Eight years with the New York Giants.

UNIFanSince1983
December 8th, 2008, 10:36 AM
I think Bryce Paup was right about where he should have been at 4.

achrist70
December 8th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Two people I see left off
Andre Allen and Mark Farley

Especially Allen

UNIFanSince1983
December 8th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Neither one of them had a great pro career or one at all which factors into this quite a bit.

Appguy
December 8th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Chris Gocong plays LB on the Eagles but was a DE at Cal Poly right? are they just going by the college position?

Update: nevermind, I see him at 21 on Dline list

Shellin
December 8th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Definitely not surprising that there isn't a Montana guy on there since I cannot really recall us having a LB that dominated (especially statisically). There were some good players on that list for sure.

Canyoncat
December 8th, 2008, 11:14 AM
I am surprised that Mark Fellows from Montana State isn’t on the list. Granted this was way back in 1984, he had 21 sacks and was All American. If they had the Buchanon award back then he would have won it hands down. He was drafted by the San Diego Chargers, but (I believe) broke his hip in training camp.

Another player that I am surprised isn’t on the list is Jason Crebo of Montana. Very dominating during his time in the mid 90’s.

UNHFootballAlum
December 8th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Missing from the list is Steve Doig from UNH. He still holds the UNH record in all time tackles. he was drafted in the 3rd round- Detroit Lions and was just beginning to break into the lineup when he was injured. He made a great 4th down hit and tackle of Walter Payton on the goal line to prevent a TD

Houndawg
December 8th, 2008, 12:13 PM
They only went back to '83. :(

They missed Dan Bunz from Long Beach State, 1st round (24th) in '78. Started Super Bowl XVI for SF and and spearheaded the goal line stand that sealed Joe Montana and the 49ers 26-21 upset of heavily favored Cincinnati, QB'ed by Ken Anderson (DIII Augustana). (Announcer Chris Collinsworth caught a TD pass for the Bengal's losing effort).

Down 26-21 in the 4th quarter, the Bengals had the ball 1st and goal at the SF 3 yard line, a pro-bowl laden offensive line, Ohio State's bruising Pete Johnson at FB, and LSU's Charles Alexander at RB. The whole nation knew they were going to pound it in and they tried. First down run to the right inside, Bunz and John Choma stuff at the line. 2nd down, off left tackle, Bunz stuffs Johnson's lead block, enabling Hacksaw Reynolds to fall on Alexander for an easy no gain. The third down swing pass to Alexander is still shown in the old highlights; Bunz arrives with the pass and pancakes Alexander. Fourth and goal from the 3 , the Bengals run right inside again, Bunz and Clemson's Archie Reese stuff Johnson for no gain.
Other than that he was pretty much a journeyman who played eight seasons and gets a small retirement check.

bison68
December 9th, 2008, 06:52 PM
I have to say that i'm surprised to see that Howie Long isn't on that list...unless Villanova was Division 1A while he played then he should be there.

Go...gate
December 9th, 2008, 08:09 PM
I have to say that i'm surprised to see that Howie Long isn't on that list...unless Villanova was Division 1A while he played then he should be there.

They were still I-A at that time (late 70's, 1980, AIR).

Hoyadestroya85
December 9th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Garbage!
no Curtis Eller or Brian Hulea

grizband
December 9th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Definitely not surprising that there isn't a Montana guy on there since I cannot really recall us having a LB that dominated (especially statisically). There were some good players on that list for sure.
Jason Crebo - three time All American (third team '95; first team '96 and '97)
He's the first Griz LB I could think of.

Big Dawg
December 9th, 2008, 08:41 PM
No Earl Holmes???

Mustang Man
December 9th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Akeem was a great LB when he finished, but probably didn't deserve to be on the list. His college career in total was good, not great (I think you've got to do something pretty great or win the Buchanan to be a recent LB on here) and his pro career is just starting to take off.

I agree. He is just starting to get some real game time in the pros. Hopefully he puts a lock on his position for many years to come.

smallcollegefbfan
December 9th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Very impressive group!!!! Western Ill. was well represented. May have to consider them LB University! I fully expected for Dexter Coakley to be number 1 until I saw Mr. Charles Haley.... No brainer there.

I really think Coakley should be #1. He had a better career and is the only player to have two Buck Buchanan Awards and has more career tackles than anyone on this list. Really think he should be #1. xthumbsupx

gofurman
December 9th, 2008, 09:56 PM
If NFL is a consideration I think Furman's Orlando Ruff deserves consideration - 8 years in the NFL ; 1AA All America : SoCon D player of the year... There were some on the list that didn't make the NFL and he was in there for numerous years

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 9th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Sorry, but as us YanCon oldtimers will remember, UNH's Steve Doig (3rd round pick, Detroit Lions) back in the early 1980's has to be high on this list or it doesn't hold much weight,..... The man was a physical freak, .... there has still never been a body like his in the FCS, ....

UNHFootballAlum
December 9th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Sorry, but as us YanCon oldtimers will remember, UNH's Steve Doig (3rd round pick, Detroit Lions) back in the early 1980's has to be high on this list or it doesn't hold much weight,..... The man was a physical freak, .... there has still never been a body like his in the FCS, ....

See my earlier post on this thread. I played and started with Doig. He was unblockable

UNHFootballAlum
December 9th, 2008, 10:56 PM
I was a freshmen and Doig was a senior

gofurman
December 9th, 2008, 11:18 PM
How about Robert Porcher???? (SC State)

" Porcher retired in 2004 as the Lions' career sack leader with 95 1/2, including a career-best 15 in 1999.

Porcher, who played at South Carolina State after transferring from Tennessee State, was a late bloomer. His stock rose throughout his senior season and the Lions made him the 26th pick of the first round in the 1992 draft.
During Porcher's second season with Detroit, former defensive line coach Lamar Leachman, predicted a successful career for his young player.

"If he keeps working like he has been, he should be one of the greatest to ever play here," Leachman said. "He's very talented. All he has to do is learn the pass-rushing techniques he didn't have to use in college."

Leachman's prediction was right on. Three Pro Bowl selections and three Lions defensive MVP awards will attest to that.

Did I miss seeing him on the list? How in the world does a guy with 3 pro-bowl selections and and 3 NFL Team defensive awards not make it????

EDITED: my mistake - He was a DE. My confusion. He is indeed #8 on the Best FCS DL Ever.

sorry

mtgrizfankb
December 9th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Where is Dan. he was an amazing kicker from Montana... this is his rookie season and it look like he is going to the Pro bowl

Shellin
December 10th, 2008, 01:24 AM
Jason Crebo - three time All American (third team '95; first team '96 and '97)
He's the first Griz LB I could think of.

Totally forgot about Crebo, that guy was a stud.

Cleets
December 10th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Totally forgot about Crebo, that guy was a stud.

Who knew Darrian Connor of Jackson State was doing 15 years...?
That guy was amazing

xeyebrowx

Houndawg
December 10th, 2008, 08:57 AM

Wasn't Howie DL?

Ivytalk
December 10th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Nice to see Harvard's Kacyvenski make the list. He was a beast, and his personal rise to the top from a tough family situation is inspirational.

kkkk2008
December 10th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Two people I see left off
Andre Allen and Mark Farley

Especially Allen

How about Bob S. He used to kick Farley's a#% is practice all the time.

813Jag
December 10th, 2008, 02:26 PM
No Earl Holmes???
He was a beast he had like 30 tackles against us one year. xlolx

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 10th, 2008, 10:07 PM
See my earlier post on this thread. I played and started with Doig. He was unblockable

I coached on the offensive side of the ball and was always glad that on game day Steve wore the Blue & White!

He's now pushing 50 and still as big and as formidable as ever!

UNHFootballAlum
December 10th, 2008, 11:27 PM
I coached on the offensive side of the ball and was always glad that on game day Steve wore the Blue & White!

He's now pushing 50 and still as big and as formidable as ever!

What years did you coach at UNH

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 11th, 2008, 09:04 PM
What years did you coach at UNH

Drop me a note on the private message side.