PDA

View Full Version : Most unexpected season ever?

Ronbo
December 7th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Nice article about how Montana Head man Bobby Hauck fretted about having a down year this season. What a great Coaching job by this staff and all the overachieving heros on the team. 2008 is a year to remember no matter what happens next Friday.xnodx xnodx

http://www.billingsgazette.net/articles/2008/12/07/sports/local/30-hauck.txt

(0)

Hauck thrilled that he was wrong about these Griz
By GREG RACHAC
Of The Gazette Staff

MISSOULA - Bobby Hauck has told the story a number of times this season, and it bore repeating on Saturday.

It was sometime this past summer at Flathead Lake, and Hauck was taking a break from the daily grind that comes with the territory of being a college football coach.

But Hauck wasn't doing much relaxing. More like worrying.

crunifan
December 7th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Yeah, we here at UNI feel the same.

With the loss of Eric Sanders, our two best wide receivers to off field problems mid season, and the "even year curse" no one expected UNI to get this far!

slostang
December 7th, 2008, 12:41 PM
I have always said that Hauck was a great coach and a lot of Montana fans do not know how good they have it.

What do you think Ronbo, is he headed to San Diego State?

Houndawg
December 7th, 2008, 01:54 PM
xnodx I hear ya Ronbo. SIU was picked to finish fifth in conference.

Ronbo
December 7th, 2008, 02:05 PM
I have always said that Hauck was a great coach and a lot of Montana fans do not know how good they have it.

What do you think Ronbo, is he headed to San Diego State?

I don't know, he doesn't seem to appear on any list of prospects there. Your Coach is on their list though and I saw him listed for another job too. The only list Hauck was on was UDub and they have hired someone.

slostang
December 7th, 2008, 02:54 PM
I don't know, he doesn't seem to appear on any list of prospects there. Your Coach is on their list though and I saw him listed for another job too. The only list Hauck was on was UDub and they have hired someone.

Ellerson is not interested in another position and has never interviewed for another coaching job. I am not sure the same can be said for Bobby Hauck. If I am not mistaken he did interviewed for the Stanford job and rumor has it he is interested in the San Diego State and he may have already talked with their search firm.

50% of Montana fans want Bobby to leave. They may get their wish.

Ronbo
December 7th, 2008, 02:59 PM
2% want him to leave. That 2% does 50% of the vocal whining that is done regarding Griz Football. And of that 2%, half of them are OK with Bobby but they want him to leave so he'll take OC Rob Phenicie with him.

So that's why it seems 50% want him gone. The 2% that do has done 50% of the whining. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

gbhmt
December 7th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Ellerson is not interested in another position and has never interviewed for another coaching job. I am not sure the same can be said for Bobby Hauck. If I am not mistaken he did interviewed for the Stanford job and rumor has it he is interested in the San Diego State and he may have already talked with their search firm.

I'm pretty sure that it was SDSU that was interested in him.

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 7th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Just out of curiosity (no smack intended) if JMU blows out Montana how many Griz faithful will be calling for his head?

Grizalltheway
December 7th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Just out of curiosity (no smack intended) if JMU blows out Montana how many Griz faithful will be calling for his head?

Probably just a handful, but those people would only not call for his head if we won the NC. Many fans, myself included, have already seen our expectations for this very young team exceeded. xnodx

Ronbo
December 7th, 2008, 03:02 PM

2%xlolx

gbhmt
December 7th, 2008, 03:03 PM

None. I dare you to find a coach that makes a team like this after losing 24 seniors, 14 of which were starters, and four of which are now in the NFL. It'd be ridiculous to do anything but applaud.

GrizRchattybound
December 7th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Most fans I believe expected 3 maybe even 4 losses as a reality this year...heck, it appears even some head coaches. ;)

It's been a great year. It's all gravy right now when you consider where we expected to be and how far this group has come as a TEAM.

Let's get it on Dukies...we owe ya one.

slostang
December 7th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think that he is one of the top coaches in the FCS and the Griz are lucky to have him even if only 98% of them know it.

CrunchGriz
December 7th, 2008, 03:17 PM

No, this last statement is categorically incorrect. Fifty percent of Montana fans don't want Bobby to leave--Maybe 50% of the posts on eGriz may lead you to believe this, but this is only because a very small percentage of Griz fans make an inordinate amount of noise about wanting him gone. The vast majority of Griz fans realize that he's a very good coach, that he's learned and continues to learn on the job, and that this year he has undoubtedly demonstrated, with an extremely young team thought preseason by many to be a 9-3 playoff-missing team, that he is indeed a very good coach.

We have San Diego State fans posting on eGriz now hoping Montana wins the national championship so their administration will look smart for having hired Bobby.

I, for one, am trepidatious about him potentially leaving--the devil you know is almost always better than the one you don't--and Bobby has been a devil for his team.

Three semifinal appearances in six years should thrill any school's fans (this side of Appalachian State). Only a small minority of Griz fans find this level of performance insufficient, and the rest of us know they're beyond delusional thinking we should win the national championship every year.

slostang
December 7th, 2008, 03:20 PM
No, this last statement is categorically incorrect. Fifty percent of Montana fans don't want Bobby to leave--Maybe 50% of the posts on eGriz may lead you to believe this, but this is only because a very small percentage of Griz fans make an inordinate amount of noise about wanting him gone. The vast majority of Griz fans realize that he's a very good coach, that he's learned and continues to learn on the job, and that this year he has undoubtedly demonstrated, with an extremely young team thought preseason by many to be a 9-3 playoff-missing team, that he is indeed a very good coach.

We have San Diego State fans posting on eGriz now hoping Montana wins the national championship so their administration will look smart for having hired Bobby.

I, for one, am trepidatious about him potentially leaving--the devil you know is almost always better than the one you don't--and Bobby has been a devil for his team.

Three semifinal appearances in six years should thrill any school's fans (this side of Appalachian State). Only a small minority of Griz fans find this level of performance insufficient, and the rest of us know they're beyond delusional thinking we should win the national championship every year.

I agree, just having a lilttle fun with Ronbo.xsmiley_wix

Tailbone
December 7th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Wolfboy, 100%, wants him gone.
Wouldn't matter if he won the NC every year.

JohnStOnge
December 7th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I gotta tell you that when I watched Montana play Texas State on the Big Sky thing I came away thinking that this is not one of Montana's better teams. But I still hope they beat James Madison.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 7th, 2008, 06:16 PM
I gotta tell you that when I watched Montana play Texas State on the Big Sky thing I came away thinking that this is not one of Montana's better teams. But I still hope they beat James Madison.

Can't say as your wrong, but they still could win it all. I still think they are a damn fine team and one of the best we have had as a team.

HLNgriz
December 7th, 2008, 07:06 PM

Montana is very vanilla. No super stars or great stats. They bring their lunch pal to every game. What you have to look at is the improvement this team is making, esp turnover margin.

TheValleyRaider
December 7th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Montana has a good season?

Totally unexpected, never saw it coming :p

Tubby Raymond
December 7th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I think the UD 8 loss season is the Winner

Screamin_Eagle174
December 7th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Eastern's season was pretty unexpected. But not in a good way. :(

ncbears
December 7th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Eastern's season was pretty unexpected. But not in a good way. :(

That's what I'm sayin.

GolfingGriz
December 7th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Montana has a good season?

Totally unexpected, never saw it coming :p

Pretty good point. Eventhough we lost about the entire farm, we are still Montana. I've thought for many years a team of our backups could finish top 3 in the big sky.

GrizzlyBill
December 7th, 2008, 08:43 PM

My sentiments exactly. This Griz team has been a joy to behold since AFTER the first Weber game. They have turned it around--shook off whatever was wrong in their heads--and started playing ball. Started giving Chase the ball. Slowed down the rate of sacks allowed. Played with intensity that is a beauty to behold.

Credit BH and his staff.

th0m
December 8th, 2008, 04:40 AM
Pretty good point. Even though we lost about the entire farm, we are still Montana. I've thought for many years a team of our backups could finish top 3 in the big sky.

At the risk of opening a can of worms....

Does that have to do with your backups, or the Big Sky?

Cleets
December 8th, 2008, 05:30 AM
None. I dare you to find a coach that makes a team like this after losing 24 seniors, 14 of which were starters, and four of which are now in the NFL. It'd be ridiculous to do anything but applaud.

This is a good point... xeyebrowx I did not know that..?

~

Tod
December 8th, 2008, 05:47 AM
At the risk of opening a can of worms....

Does that have to do with your backups, or the Big Sky?

Question not directed at me, but...

Personally, no way the backups take third. This year they may have beaten ISU and UNC, but that's it, IMO.

Because of our reputation and success, we do draw some good FCS athletes, and are probably deeper, on average, than most Big Sky teams.

But it's just a bit too cocky to think we could drop all starters from a game and win it.

Houndawg
December 8th, 2008, 06:01 AM

I think Dale Lennon is worthy of a mention considering what he did with someone else's players and the fact that less than a year ago he was coaching somewhere else.xnodx

Grizo406
December 8th, 2008, 11:16 PM
I'm thinkin' that the winner of the Griz/JMU game will be the next National Champions!??!