PDA

View Full Version : Gridiron Classic Recap

danefan
December 7th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Well this one was ugly, boring to watch and never really a contest. McCarty destroyed the PFL's best team:
271 yards and 4 TD's on 33 carries.

Ends the season as the nation's leading rusher with 1852 rushing yards and 356 receiving. 100+ yards in 11 of 12 games this year and 16 of his last 17 games going back to last year. He should be an All-American RB.

OH AND HE"S A JUNIOR!!!!! xnodx

Some post game reading:
McCarty enjoys classic Classic - TU - http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=747751&category=SPORTS
Dolphins lose first bowl game - First Coast news - http://www.firstcoastnews.com/sports/news-article.aspx?storyid=125311

Jacksonville's offense had trouble moving the football all game. And with temperatures hovering at the freezing mark, it become a factor.

"I've never been that cold in my entire life," quarterback Josh McGregor said.
And I can't wait for the GIC to be done with. I haven't liked this game from the beginning. Its a consolation prize and while it does give the seniors another game, it is not what this level is about.

FCS is about playoffs.....not second-rate bowl games.

udchuck
December 7th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Well this one was ugly, boring to watch and never really a contest. McCarty destroyed the PFL's best team:

Ends the season as the nation's leading rusher with 1852 rushing yards and 356 receiving. 100+ yards in 11 of 12 games this year and 16 of his last 17 games going back to last year. He should be an All-American RB.

Some post game reading:
McCarty enjoys classic Classic - TU - http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=747751&category=SPORTS
Dolphins lose first bowl game - First Coast news - http://www.firstcoastnews.com/sports/news-article.aspx?storyid=125311

And I can't wait for the GIC to be done with. I haven't liked this game from the beginning. Its a consolation prize and while it does give the seniors another game, it is not what this level is about.

It's a shame you guys played Jacksonville,the 3rd or 4th best team in the PFL. Dayton, San Diego or Butler being better. Dayton would have given you a better game,and most likely beat UA. UD beat UA last year 41-21 with half of the returning players.
It's a shame the final standings in the PFL depended on a fumble and a 30 yd,run back. 19 points in final 10 min. on Dayton's miscues.Jacksonville was given the game.
Hey,we made the mistakes and payed for it. BUT DON'T say McCarty beat the PFL's best Team because he didn't.I'll tell you one thing he would not have run on Dayton like he did on Jacksonville. I know I saw every game Dayton played the last 4 years.

dgreco
December 7th, 2008, 01:03 PM
It's a shame you guys played Jacksonville,the 3rd or 4th best team in the PFL. Dayton, San Diego or Butler being better. Dayton would have given you a better game,and most likely beat UA. UD beat UA last year 41-21 with half of the returning players.
It's a shame the final standings in the PFL depended on a fumble and a 30 yd,run back. 19 points in final 10 min. on Dayton's miscues.Jacksonville was given the game.
Hey,we made the mistakes and payed for it. BUT DON'T say McCarty beat the PFL's best Team because he didn't.I'll tell you one thing he would not have run on Dayton like he did on Jacksonville. I know I saw every game Dayton played the last 4 years.

Dayton lost to bottomfeeders of the NEC this year, why would it be a better mtchup?

Dane96
December 7th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Because UDCHUCK went to the clown school of logic.

udchuck
December 7th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Dane96,
Sounds like he never went ANY school at all. his comment proves it. IF you went to UAbany you wasted your money.( or your daddy's money) Dayton kicked UA's butt last year,and I'm sure we would have done it again this year.We'll prove it in 09.

dgreco,
No we didn't play the bottemfeeder BRYANT this year ?? what bottemfeeder are you talking about ?

udchuck
December 7th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Dayton lost to bottomfeeders of the NEC this year, why would it be a better mtchup?

No, we didn't play you guys this year.xlolx

udchuck
December 7th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Because UDCHUCK went to the clown school of logic.

Yea,I sat right next to you.I remember you were # 1 in the class.:)

danefan
December 7th, 2008, 04:27 PM
There was no team in the PFL that could have beaten Albany this year. I can affirmatively say that.

Albany lost to Dayton last year because of one reason - Kevin Hyong. No Hyong and no win.

Jacksonville

UMass922
December 7th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Watched most of the game; the Danes should have pulled away sooner than they did. Glad they won, though. Great game by McCarty.

DetroitFlyer
December 7th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Hats off to the Danes! A well deserved victory in every respect. There is a reason that they keep score in the games. At the end of the season, Jacksonville proved that they were the best team in the PFL period. Excuses do not matter. If you are the best, you prove it on the field. JU defeated USD, Dayton and Butler. Dayton certainly had the defense, but poor decisions by the coaching staff as to the QB position sent Dayton out on a two game losing streak. USD just could not play at a consistent level. Injuries did not help USD, but all teams deal with injuries.

Albany got it done behind McCarty, while JU played poorly. Bummer. Take nothing away from Albany, Bob Ford and the team earned it on the field. As a PFL fan I say congrats to Fordie and Albany and wait till next year!

danefan
December 7th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Watched most of the game; the Danes should have pulled away sooner than they did. Glad they won, though. Great game by McCarty.

Very true. The rust showed through in the first half. Remember, Albany hadn't played in 3 weeks.

It was certainly an ugly first half.

Uncle Buck
December 7th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Very classy Flyer. I think UD Chuck could have gotten the point across better had he said that maybe Dayton would have matched up better. Or any of the other teams for that matter. Bottome line, Jacksonville was the conference representative as the conference champ, and they were beat.

danefan
December 7th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Hats off to the Danes! A well deserved victory in every respect. There is a reason that they keep score in the games. At the end of the season, Jacksonville proved that they were the best team in the PFL period. Excuses do not matter. If you are the best, you prove it on the field. JU defeated USD, Dayton and Butler. Dayton certainly had the defense, but poor decisions by the coaching staff as to the QB position sent Dayton out on a two game losing streak. USD just could not play at a consistent level. Injuries did not help USD, but all teams deal with injuries.

Albany got it done behind McCarty, while JU played poorly. Bummer. Take nothing away from Albany, Bob Ford and the team earned it on the field. As a PFL fan I say congrats to Fordie and Albany and wait till next year!

Good post Flyer. For all the crap you take on here, you are really a classy guy.xthumbsupx

Model Citizen
December 7th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Question for Detroit Flyer...

Is your coach going to kiss and make up with Pechan? I don't know the back story on those two, but playing a quarterback with a broken thumb against Jacksonville was not a winning decision. Sure, put a glove on it. That'll help. xnutsx

BTW, guess who Sagarin has as the highest rated PFL team? Not bad for a bunch of second teamers.

DetroitFlyer
December 7th, 2008, 08:24 PM
At the conclusion of the season the word was that there will be a spirited competition at QB next year between Jeff Pechan and highly touted recruit Timmy Fogerty. Timmy was redshirted this year.

I really like both kids and think that UD will have a much improved offense in 2009, due primarily to much better and consistent QB play.

If Rob Florian had not broken his thumb at USD, Dayton wins the PFL hands down. Rob was really starting to gell with the offense and then the broken thumb.... UD has rarely done a great job at building depth at QB. I thought from the very beginning of the season, Pechan should have been getting meaningful playing time. Alas, the coaches did not see it that way, and when Rob got hurt, the Flyers tanked....

I'm really looking forward to the spring game in 2009.

joecooll6
December 7th, 2008, 09:19 PM
So when the NEC gets their bid is the PFL going to have its own championship game again?

Model Citizen
December 7th, 2008, 10:04 PM
So when the NEC gets their bid is the PFL going to have its own championship game again?

No official announcement yet, but yes.

Go...gate
December 8th, 2008, 12:23 AM

Well said, Flyer. I know a couple of posters from the Patriot League membership who could take a lesson from this post. Winning a conference championship is no easy thing.

CatMom07
December 8th, 2008, 01:20 AM

Some post game reading:

You're McCarty has put up some great numbers. In All Purpose he is just ahead of our Sophomore Karrington Bush (2330 APY). Bush is a great runner but is not used in receiving very much. May get more Receiving with the graduation of Cam Luke though. Rather have him in the RB and KOR. (kor yards - 1055)

I like following the stats so will keep an eye on McCarty next year.

udchuck
December 8th, 2008, 08:09 AM

NO, my friend, Jacksonville was not the best team,--NO,it's no excuse it's fact.---Dayton played 10 minutes of bad Football in the JU game.hence the PFL TITLE. IF Dayton were to play JU 10 times Dayton wins 8. Yes,UAbany played a great game and McCarty is one super RB.he should go far.It's scary he's,(I think)a SO.xthumbsupx

WWII
December 8th, 2008, 10:25 AM
McCarty was a Jr.

udchuck
December 8th, 2008, 05:09 PM
McCarty was a Jr.

I stand corrected,Wow that's better yet.the kid is something else.xthumbsupx