PDA

View Full Version : Semifinal Times

achrist70
December 6th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Who gets Friday and who gets Saturday, I think that UNI got to choose last year if they would have made it being the #1 seed is this the case, and if so when do you think JMU would want to play?

Aeacos
December 7th, 2008, 12:00 AM
which do you think would be better a 7pm Friday night game or a 3pm Saturday afternoon game? Either works for me, GO PANTHERS!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 7th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Who gets Friday and who gets Saturday, I think that UNI got to choose last year if they would have made it being the #1 seed is this the case, and if so when do you think JMU would want to play?

If i were JMU i'd want Friday night. Short week of preperation and a long trip for Montana.

achrist70
December 7th, 2008, 12:01 AM
I like the idea of a Friday night game

ValleyChamp
December 7th, 2008, 12:01 AM
I prefer night games, but I think that a Saturday game would definitely be the best for the Panthers, attendance wise.

ValleyChamp
December 7th, 2008, 12:02 AM
If i were JMU i'd want Friday night. Short week of preperation and a long trip for Montana.

Wouldn't the prep time be the same for both teams?

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 7th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Wouldn't the prep time be the same for both teams?

Kinda, Sorta but 2 things:
1. You have to believe that your coaching staff is the better one so the short week favors you IMO.
2. Montana is going to lose probably half a day of flying to Harrisonburg.

JayJ79
December 7th, 2008, 12:09 AM
If they go by the guidelines set up in the NCAA Div. I Football playoff handbook, then the JMU/Montana game will be Friday night, while the UNI/Richmond game will be Saturday afternoon. But the handbook includes a "subject to change" clause.

Would they change it to have the night game be in the Dome, just so that the game at JMU could be played in the day (presumably a bit warmer)?

Does Bridgeforth Stadium have lights?

UNI Pike
December 7th, 2008, 12:19 AM
I would think that ESPN would want the east coast (JMU vs MT) game on Saturday, as there are no other college FB games scheduled. Friday night is going to be a smaller TV audience.

soccerguy315
December 7th, 2008, 12:54 AM

JMU does have lights... they might have to bring in some more, but in 2004 W&M had no lights and still hosted the friday night semifinal (with lights brought in), so I don't know that that is an issue.

achrist70
December 7th, 2008, 01:00 AM
If they go by the guidelines set up in the NCAA Div. I Football playoff handbook, then the JMU/Montana game will be Friday night, while the UNI/Richmond game will be Saturday afternoon. But the handbook includes a "subject to change" clause.

Would they change it to have the night game be in the Dome, just so that the game at JMU could be played in the day (presumably a bit warmer)?

I don't think that the NCAA rule is always used if so then the two games last year were on the wrong days.

JayJ79
December 7th, 2008, 01:03 AM
I would think that ESPN would want the east coast (JMU vs MT) game on Saturday, as there are no other college FB games scheduled. Friday night is going to be a smaller TV audience.

Richmond is closer to the east coast than JMU is.
Granted, the game isn't AT richmond.

App State was ESPN's favorites, obviously. so they might have done whatever it took to get their game into the "best" TV slot. But now that they're done, I don't think any of the teams remaining are any more "favored" by ESPN than the others.

blitz4
December 7th, 2008, 01:10 AM
JMU should win it all. We have played Appstate and think they are over rated with out 5 turnovers. Go Wofford.

BearsCountry
December 7th, 2008, 01:23 AM
UNI dont you guys have a home hoops game on Saturday?

achrist70
December 7th, 2008, 01:25 AM

No were at Colorado State

GOKATS
December 7th, 2008, 01:26 AM
JMU does have lights... they might have to bring in some more, but in 2004 W&M had no lights and still hosted the friday night semifinal (with lights brought in), so I don't know that that is an issue.

A few years ago the griz had a night game and wa/griz doesn't have lights so they (ESPN) brought them in for one game and it worked fine.

Proud Griz Man
December 7th, 2008, 01:35 AM
thanks for all the information. I bet this. I think that. xconfusedx

JayJ79
December 7th, 2008, 01:41 AM
thanks for all the information. I bet this. I think that. xconfusedx

That is because there IS no solid information until Sunday afternoon.

JayJ79
December 7th, 2008, 01:42 AM

there was a UNI home hoops game scheduled for tonight. They moved it up and played it this afternoon instead.

GOKATS
December 7th, 2008, 01:43 AM
That is because there IS no solid information until Sunday afternoon.

I figured most already knew that.

MacThor
December 7th, 2008, 10:10 AM

Then why'd they put ASU-Richmond on Friday night last year?

Aeacos
December 7th, 2008, 10:13 AM

PLus they play at the MCloed center and would just move the bball game anyway

JMinU
December 7th, 2008, 10:27 AM
after the game. People where talking like JMU was trying to get the Friday game

achrist70
December 7th, 2008, 10:44 AM
after the game. People where talking like JMU was trying to get the Friday game

Are these people ones who know what they talking about, or are just random fans. (not hating just asking)

GoCats91
December 7th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Then why'd they put ASU-Richmond on Friday night last year?

Last year they changed days the games were going to be played since Delaware had trouble getting out of Cedar Falls and back home due to weather. The NCAA decided it was in the best interest to give them an extra day since they have to travel to SIU the next week.

JmuSkinsfan
December 7th, 2008, 11:02 AM
ESPN should pick JMU v. Montana as their Friday night ESPN game. It is a more marquee match-up.

MacThor
December 7th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Last year they changed days the games were going to be played since Delaware had trouble getting out of Cedar Falls and back home due to weather. The NCAA decided it was in the best interest to give them an extra day since they have to travel to SIU the next week.

xdohx Thanks for reminding me.

spiderdru
December 7th, 2008, 11:26 AM
RIchmond has a Basketball game on ESPNU saturday @ 2pm. Hopefully we get the Friday Night game....

UNIFanSince1983
December 7th, 2008, 11:33 AM
I would actually prefer Saturday afternoon, but that is just me. I have no idea what the thinking or logic is going to be on this one.

DTSpider
December 7th, 2008, 11:34 AM
I want UR to have the Saturday game. Having to travel makes the Friday game a huge advantage for the home team since you have to give up a half-day (or more) of preparation time.

DTSpider
December 7th, 2008, 11:36 AM
RIchmond has a Basketball game on ESPNU saturday @ 2pm. Hopefully we get the Friday Night game....

For once, UR basketball can take a backseat to UR football.

Actually, it would be a cool doubleheader since the Saturday game starts at 4pm. Maybe arrange to have the football game broadcast inside the Robins Center at the end of the basketball game.

UNIFanSince1983
December 7th, 2008, 11:36 AM
When is the time that we officially find out?

griz37
December 7th, 2008, 11:57 AM
When is the time that we officially find out?

Montana AD Jim O'Day said yesterday that they have a conference call 1pm EST to discuss when the games would be played.

clenz
December 7th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Montana AD Jim O'Day said yesterday that they have a conference call 1pm EST to discuss when the games would be played.
so right now?

achrist70
December 7th, 2008, 12:01 PM
An interesting thing that with Montana having a person on the committee they will have some say, and Clenz you were just waiting to say that.

griz37
December 7th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Montanagrizzlies.com has the game listed as 12/12 at 6pm Mtn.

JayJ79
December 7th, 2008, 12:42 PM
and UNIPanthers.com has their game listed as 12/13 at 3pm Central
http://unipanthers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/niwa-m-footbl-sched.html

ValleyChamp
December 7th, 2008, 12:44 PM
I think that is going to be better for the attendance in the Dome. Cant wait.

JmuSkinsfan
December 7th, 2008, 12:54 PM
JMU convocation center (ticket sales) reporting 8 pm EST ESPN 2 Friday

MacThor
December 7th, 2008, 02:46 PM
If it's true that the #1 seed gets to choose, if I were JMU I'd choose Friday night because the shorter break would affect the away team more, and you'd also have an extra day off for the NC.

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 7th, 2008, 02:49 PM
If it's true that the #1 seed gets to choose, if I were JMU I'd choose Friday night because the shorter break would affect the away team more, and you'd also have an extra day off for the NC.

Not to mention more students as there exams finish up that week. Waiting until Saturday would probably have less students show up.

GolfingGriz
December 7th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Cant wait. I have my last final on Thursday afternoon so I will have plenty of time to "get ready" for the game. xrotatehx

achrist70
December 7th, 2008, 03:45 PM
I wish that UNI had finals this week

UNHCATSFAN
December 7th, 2008, 03:47 PM
hopefully the attendance in the dome for the semifinals is better than the attendance last night. It felt like a completely different environment than last years playoff game thats for sure.

JayJ79
December 7th, 2008, 04:33 PM

I've heard no indications that the #1 seed gets to choose.
The NCAA guidelines set up default game times before the regular season is even close to over. And the playoff committee makes the decision on whether or not to deviate from the default.

I suppose that the #1 seed could state their case to the committee, but there is no guarantee that they'd listen.

achrist70
December 7th, 2008, 04:35 PM
I've heard no indications that the #1 seed gets to choose.
The NCAA guidelines set up default game times before the regular season is even close to over. And the playoff committee makes the decision on whether or not to deviate from the default.

I suppose that the #1 seed could state their case to the committee, but there is no guarantee that they'd listen.

I'm just going off of last year say that UNI was going to play on Friday if they won, implying that they got to choose. And also SIU who was on the same side, played on Saturday.

Peems
December 7th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Didn't see it anywhere in the thread yet, but here it is...

http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/pages/news_item.aspx?n=7708&m=18

Silenoz
December 7th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Of course my work has to schedule the Christmas party for Friday night xbawlingx

Guess I'll be in the hotel bar all night

Dukie95
December 7th, 2008, 06:00 PM
This is what the FCS championship handbook states

The teams awarded the top four seeds are placed in the appropriate positions in the bracket (Nos. 1 and 4 in the upper half, and Nos. 2 and 3 in the lower half), and will be paired with teams that are in closest geographic proximity;

The semifinal games during the 2008 Division I Football Championship will be conducted on two different days. One semifinal game will occur Friday evening, December 12, while the other will occur Saturday, December 13. The games will be broadcast nationally on ESPN2 and ESPN, respectively.

It is anticipated that the two remaining teams in the top half of the 16-team championship bracket will play Friday night, while the two remaining teams in the bottom half of the bracket will play Saturday. However, the determination of which teams play on which dates is subject to change if issues arise (e.g., host facility specifications) that necessitate a change in the best interest of the championship. The semifinal schedule will be determined by the Division I Football Championship Committee on the Sunday following the quarterfinal
round.

Looks like it was pretty much a given that it was JMU/Montana unless there was a facilities problem at JMU on Friday.

griz37
December 7th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Of course my work has to schedule the Christmas party for Friday night xbawlingx

Guess I'll be in the hotel bar all night

Dude no Christmas party is worth missing the Griz game, besides what kind of company actually schedules a party for the Friday of semi-finals, we came so close to having a home game!

Lehigh Football Nation
December 7th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Not to make a federal case about this, but wouldn't JMU be better served from a dollars and sense way to having the game on a Saturday afternoon rather than a Friday night involving lighting costs, etc.? It sounds like it was already pretty much set based on the rules and bylaws - but might it be better served to switch in this particular case?

I dunno - maybe JMU wanted the Friday night game for all the reasons stated (the extra day, perceived better TV ratings) and others not stated (if JMU wins, they get first crack at the Championship tickets). But if everyone was making a cost-containment decision in this case, JMU would have been playing on Saturday.

blur2005
December 7th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Not to make a federal case about this, but wouldn't JMU be better served from a dollars and sense way to having the game on a Saturday afternoon rather than a Friday night involving lighting costs, etc.? It sounds like it was already pretty much set based on the rules and bylaws - but might it be better served to switch in this particular case?

I dunno - maybe JMU wanted the Friday night game for all the reasons stated (the extra day, perceived better TV ratings) and others not stated (if JMU wins, they get first crack at the Championship tickets). But if everyone was making a cost-containment decision in this case, JMU would have been playing on Saturday.
I'm happy because I can go on Friday. Got my ticket.

appfan2008
December 8th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Richmond is closer to the east coast than JMU is.
Granted, the game isn't AT richmond.

App State was ESPN's favorites, obviously. so they might have done whatever it took to get their game into the "best" TV slot. But now that they're done, I don't think any of the teams remaining are any more "favored" by ESPN than the others.

xbawlingx

whitey
December 8th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Not to make a federal case about this, but wouldn't JMU be better served from a dollars and sense way to having the game on a Saturday afternoon rather than a Friday night involving lighting costs, etc.?...But if everyone was making a cost-containment decision in this case, JMU would have been playing on Saturday.

First of all, Fall semester commencement is on Saturday afternoon. So if they had the game Saturday afternoon there would have been conflict there. Not to mention they probably would have had to keep the dorms and dining services open later than scheduled on Saturday. I bet it's probably less expensive to have the game Friday night than Saturday afternoon for the university as a whole.