PDA

View Full Version : What happens to the bandwagon?

KiddBrewer
December 6th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Will it clear out (fans, media, etc)?]

if so, fine with me, i could use the leg room!xcoolx xsmiley_wix

DuckDuckGriz
December 6th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Next year is everything for your program as far as keeping this momentum going.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 6th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Will it clear out (fans, media, etc)?

Not with Coco Quick, Jordan, and the big-man himself coming back next year.

asucrutch23
I was pleased with the number of fans (even us students) that stayed 'til the end to applaud the team. I don't think we'll lose too many fairweathers.

KiddBrewer

agreed. winning the SoCon isnt big enough i dont think

DuckDuckGriz
December 6th, 2008, 05:03 PM
It seems like ASU has always had fair fan support. I don't expect a huge dropoff.

KiddBrewer
December 6th, 2008, 05:03 PM
I was pleased with the number of fans (even us students) that stayed 'til the end to applaud the team. I don't think we'll lose too many fairweathers.

agreed. it was a very nice gesture.

Grizaholic17
December 6th, 2008, 05:05 PM
You guys are gathering a nice fan base. It will keep up. Maybe not the numbers you have seen, but numbers nonetheless.

DuckDuckGriz
December 6th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I hate to admit, but all your hype and support and coverage has been so great for FCS. I know I'm turning this into a love fest, but I hope the fans stay.

AppStateSVX
December 6th, 2008, 05:07 PM
I also am very proud of everyone who stayed. The team accomplished a lot over the last 4 years. It had to end sometime. I think Armanti will come back next year with a chip on his shoulder and have an explosive season

DuckDuckGriz
December 6th, 2008, 05:08 PM
I also am very proud of everyone who stayed. The team accomplished a lot over the last 4 years. It had to end sometime. I think Armanti will come back next year with a chip on his shoulder and have an explosive season

For some reason I always think you are a WCU fan. Your screenname looks like "App State Sucks"

Grizaholic17
December 6th, 2008, 05:09 PM

Hopefully his team follows, as one person just Ain't gonna do it

mistersykes
December 6th, 2008, 05:09 PM

Agreed. You can definitely tell who is in it for the team and who is in it for the wins alone just by being in the stands. I was not surprised to see the guy near me who was insulting every other play call, official, and player, not to mention cussing left and right be the first one to leave when UR went up big. Thanks man, but we don't need your "support".

With the amount of bandwagoners that have jumped on, I figured that we would see a mass exodus on the scale of Black Saturday last year. But today I was proud rather than ashamed. It's great to be a mountaineer!xnodx

KiddBrewer
December 6th, 2008, 05:11 PM

well we got tony robertson(all conference DL), devon moore(starting RB), and gary tharrington(all conference DL) coming back next year to help a little from either injuries or being stupid and not making good grades. Im willing to make the debate that next years team could be our strongest.....ever.xcoffeex yea i said it.

Grizaholic17
December 6th, 2008, 05:14 PM
well we got tony robertson(all conference DL), devon moore(starting RB), and gary tharrington(all conference DL) coming back next year to help a little from either injuries or being stupid and not making good grades. Im willing to make the debate that next years team could be our strongest.....ever.xcoffeex yea i said it.

Well this is the griz's "weakest" team in a while, and look what we did. I was just pointing out that it isn't a one team game...so don't be relying on just Armanti to be there.

rudy1648
December 6th, 2008, 05:32 PM

I have said all year that NEXT year's team has the potential to be much better than this year's team if not one of the best we have ever had. This year should have been a rebuilding year even if all the starters had stayed healthy. The last 3 or 4 games we have not had a healthy Edwards or any kind of a running game. Hopefully Moore, Tharrington and Robertson will be back. If AE can stay healthy. Plenty of depth at running back,,,wide receiver,,,,defense,,,,two replacements for offensive line. Congratulations to this years team for a great season.

Hopefully what has happened in last 3 to 4 years will keep people coming to Boone for years to come. The whole game day atmosphere is terrific. The home side broadcasting booth and boxes will be finished. Coming to Boone on game day is not just about the game. It is the whole comminity feeling we get now. I am proud of the school and am proud to be a Mountaineer.

KiddBrewer
December 6th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Well this is the griz's "weakest" team in a while, and look what we did. I was just pointing out that it isn't a one team game...so don't be relying on just Armanti to be there.

definately is a "weaker" Griz team, no doubt. and congrats on what you have done this year, and continue to do! Its not a one team game by any means. i was just stating that I believe this was the weaker of App teams over the past 4 years (and im not just saying that now, check my post history if ya might think its a response to the lossxrulesx xthumbsupx ) and next years team has a good chance of fighting the other great teams there will be next year for another NC.

MorgantonAPPAlum
December 6th, 2008, 07:15 PM
What I think people need to understand is that there are probably between 500-700K (and I'm probably erring on the low side) people who live within an hour's drive of Boone (west of I-77) and for most of them it would be at least another hour farther to drive to Winston Salem to see Wake play-which is the closest D1 program that is even close. Add in the Alums from the Triad and the Charlotte Metro area and we have a good size fan base to draw from. I think we can sustain 15-20K crowds without too much problem with crowds regularly surging toover 25K for big games (Furman and some of our emerging rivalries).

How football at UNCC might affect this, is an open question. But I still think most of those fans would rather spend the day in Boone for a variety of reasons.

ERASU2113
December 6th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Well next season I'll no longer be able to get the free student tickets - unless I get a friend of mine to get me a ticket.

One of my closest friends and I have already discussed getting season tickets next year just to come back and still support the school. It's weird to think of where the team was in 2004 - 6-5, can't win on the road - to where they are now.

The fan base is strong as a number of alumni seem to stay in NC. Winston-Salem, Asheville, Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, etc have large #'s. From what I've seen they'd prefer to make the 1-2 hour drive to Boone than watch other schools in the state.

phillyAPP
December 6th, 2008, 07:24 PM
What I think people need to understand is that there are probably between 500-700K (and I'm probably erring on the low side) people who live within an hour's drive of Boone (west of I-77) and for most of them it would be at least another hour farther to drive to Winston Salem to see Wake play-which is the closest D1 program that is even close. Add in the Alums from the Triad and the Charlotte Metro area and we have a good size fan base to draw from. I think we can sustain 15-20K crowds without too much problem with crowds regularly surging toover 25K for big games (Furman and some of our emerging rivalries).

How football at UNCC might affect this, is an open question. But I still think most of those fans would rather spend the day in Boone for a variety of reasons.

I agree that the crowds will go down some.

Can i also say "I HATE NOON GAMES, THEY SUCK"

GreatAppSt
December 6th, 2008, 07:33 PM

Yeah I thought Smack names were against the TOS? ndsuSVX got a perm. ban for this very reason. Double standars round her as usual, just sayin.xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

post deletion in 5 4 3 2 1.

KiddBrewer
December 6th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Well next season I'll no longer be able to get the free student tickets - unless I get a friend of mine to get me a ticket.

One of my closest friends and I have already discussed getting season tickets next year just to come back and still support the school. It's weird to think of where the team was in 2004 - 6-5, can't win on the road - to where they are now.

The fan base is strong as a number of alumni seem to stay in NC. Winston-Salem, Asheville, Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, etc have large #'s. From what I've seen they'd prefer to make the 1-2 hour drive to Boone than watch other schools in the state.

ill be student teaching next fall so i will still be able to get guest tickets. ill hook you up if you want me to.

Dixiedawg80
December 6th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Nothing to worry over, the crowds will be there.

Eaglegus2
December 6th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I have said all year that NEXT year's team has the potential to be much better than this year's team if not one of the best we have ever had. This year should have been a rebuilding year even if all the starters had stayed healthy. The last 3 or 4 games we have not had a healthy Edwards or any kind of a running game. Hopefully Moore, Tharrington and Robertson will be back. If AE can stay healthy. Plenty of depth at running back,,,wide receiver,,,,defense,,,,two replacements for offensive line. Congratulations to this years team for a great season.

Hopefully what has happened in last 3 to 4 years will keep people coming to Boone for years to come. The whole game day atmosphere is terrific. The home side broadcasting booth and boxes will be finished. Coming to Boone on game day is not just about the game. It is the whole comminity feeling we get now. I am proud of the school and am proud to be a Mountaineer.

The Mountaineers will continue to have large crowds. The only way the bandwagon fans jump off is by not making the playoffs. I don't see this happening to soon.

SeattleGriz
December 6th, 2008, 08:15 PM

I would say the wheels have fallen off the wagon.

proasu89
December 6th, 2008, 09:30 PM
I hope the wheels have fallen off the wagon.

Corrected for accuracyxsmiley_wix

South Carolina Duke
December 6th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Whats with all the gloom and doom already..?

crossfire07
December 6th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Hopefully what has happened in last 3 to 4 years will keep people coming to Boone for years to come.

as long as in the years to come you are winning the way you have been to get all of that built they will come but when the W's fall off so will the fans. that's just how it goes.

PantherRob82
December 7th, 2008, 02:58 AM

for your sake, I hope so. xthumbsupx

Yosef@therock
December 7th, 2008, 05:49 AM

I stuck around. I couldn't walk away from "true CHAMPIONS". Those players didn't deserve it. Very stupid mistakes cost them the game. As I was leaving I walked by Coach Moore's wife and thanked her for all she and her husband have done to put Appalachian State on the map. I AM PROUD TO BE A MOUNTAINEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll see you guys in Greenville.

ASUMountaineer
December 7th, 2008, 06:37 AM
We had a good season, a few years ago this would have been a great season. We have been spoiled the last few years and heck it has been awesome. I am still happy with what the team did this year and it was great to see so many people staying until the end chanting A-S-U, especially for the seniors like Pierre Banks (who played in over 60 games in four seasons and was close to winning a NC every year). Straight up AMAZING.

As to the bandwagon, I don't think it's losing steam right now, no other team in North Carolina plays as many games and has a chance to accomplish something like ASU. What is sad, look at Alabama, they go undefeated and lose to the #4 team in the country at a neutral site (which lost at home to an unranked team) and they have no chance to play for a National title (also see Boise State and Utah). Isn't it great that, even though our season is over, we still had that chance! FCS is the best, and our run has been great, and it's time to brush this off and begin again next year.

Go MOUNTAINEERS! Go FCS!

AppMan
December 7th, 2008, 06:56 AM
They'll jack up the wagon, put a fresh set of tires on it, and win another national championship. The genie is out of the bottle and there is no putting it back. There are some questions with the O-line, but ASU will be just as good, if not better than this season at every other position. The Quest For Four was just delayed a little.

neersnbeers
December 7th, 2008, 08:01 AM
I think with AEs last year, stadium being completed etc. The usual numbers will be around. I know I'll be there (not saying I'm a bandwagoner, being I have ticket stubs from '95).

eaglewraith
December 7th, 2008, 09:39 AM
I hate to admit, but all your hype and support and coverage has been so great for FCS. I know I'm turning this into a love fest, but I hope the fans stay.

Wrong...it's been great for App...it has done nothing for the rest of the league. Is it big news on ESPN when UNI beats UNH in a close game? No...but it is when App loses a playoff game. Who is the FCS player shown in highlights on Gameday? Oh yea that's right, it's Armanti.

Don't kid yourself. GSU got respect from Lou Holtz at the beginning of the year facing UGA because of one reason....we beat App last year. It all revolves around App, not the FCS.

JMU DJ
December 7th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Wrong...it's been great for App...it has done nothing for the rest of the league. Is it big news on ESPN when UNI beats UNH in a close game? No...but it is when App loses a playoff game. Who is the FCS player shown in highlights on Gameday? Oh yea that's right, it's Armanti.

Don't kid yourself. GSU got respect from Lou Holtz at the beginning of the year facing UGA because of one reason....we beat App last year. It all revolves around App, not the FCS.

Sufferin' Succotash! The highlights I saw last night on Gameday were dethpicable! I agree with you that most of the light that was brought to the FCS was focused on ASU, but I think they have helped show that FCS football is not sub-par in comparison to the FBS. I think the players that come out of the FCS (Payton, Westbrook, Owens, Rice, Flacco, Hightower, etc) help show that we have the talent to produce elite NFL players.

The ASU fan base won't disappear, maybe the national attention will fade...

Lou Holtz for pwethident!

ericsaid
December 7th, 2008, 11:21 AM
The national attention will fade until the beat ECU in 09'. I really can't say that i've seen many bandwagon fans for App. I've seen people that go to games on weekends just because it's something to do but that doesn't constitute a band wagon fan. If someone started pulling for App win they started winning the NC's then maybe it's because there wasn't much exposure to the Mountaineers in the first place, then when you start hearing and reading more about them you start to pull for them.

I don't believe the fans will go anywhere and I do believe App will return the team in 06'. With all the players coming back from injury I suspect the team will settle for nothing less than a SoCon Champiosship and at the least a semifinal appearence.

APPStrongNC
December 7th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Bandwagon comes and goes. But man it is sure nice to bleed Black and Gold. What a great year for the everyone around this wonderful program. People come and go, support will be through the roof next year (IMO) and after beating ECU :) on our way to a SoCon title, it will be on. It is always on.....

GO ASU

jmufan999
December 7th, 2008, 12:55 PM

that's a cute Montana avatar you have now. keep hoping, whatever works for you.

appfan2008
December 7th, 2008, 01:21 PM

please do get season tickets my wife and i did this year and we made the three hour drive from durham 8 times this season greatest investment ever... and this was our first year not getting a free student ticket as we graduated in may

appfan2008
December 7th, 2008, 01:25 PM
there is no way a few people dont jump off the bandwagon but there is no way that we dont have at least 25k for the mcneese game next year and it could be as high as 32k if we beat ecu...

MountaineerGuy
December 7th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I think the closest thing to bandwagoners we really have is all the students that get way too drunk, chant inappropriately, and leave at halftime (this coming from a student). Less than a quarter of those people will graduate, and we'll get more than 25% more of them from incoming freshmen. It's like someone said above, it's really the biggest thing to do in a town you can pretty much walk one side to the other, so they'll still be out.

I don't think we'll lose much of the numbers, but if losing in the quarterfinals clears out a few of the people that show up and don't watch the game, I won't be complaining.

Appstate29
December 7th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Gut check ASU fans. Haha we don't know how to take losing anymore, we lose a quarterfinal game and suddenly the wheels are falling off. I fully expect ~30k for EVERY home game next year. Possibly several records if we beat EZU and AE goes on a Heisman run. We will be fine.

ericsaid
December 7th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Gut check ASU fans. Haha we don't know how to take losing anymore, we lose a quarterfinal game and suddenly the wheels are falling off. I fully expect ~30k for EVERY home game next year. Possibly several records if we beat EZU and AE goes on a Heisman run. We will be fine.

What are you talking about, I thought everyone handled losing this game extraordinarily well considering all the expectations. This loss sucks yes but with all the people coming back it will be a good season in 09'. Rod Chisholm who ran for 74 TD's(42 senior year) his last two years of High School will be coming in which will add a fourth great running back to play.

Deandre will be a year older and in the event Armanti goes down there will be much less of a drop off. All you have to replace on offense is two o-lineman and your graduating one wide out. On defense Pierre Banks will be gone which is sad but Demery Brewer will be coming in. Then you have Tharrington and Tony Robertson coming back along with Devon Moore and Dominique McDuffie. It's going to be a great year. But a long 8 months.xoopsx xoopsx

Saint3333
December 7th, 2008, 04:05 PM
What are you talking about, I thought everyone handled losing this game extraordinarily well considering all the expectations. This loss sucks yes but with all the people coming back it will be a good season in 09'. Rod Chisholm who ran for 74 TD's(42 senior year) his last two years of High School will be coming in which will add a fourth great running back to play.

Deandre will be a year older and in the event Armanti goes down there will be much less of a drop off. All you have to replace on offense is two o-lineman and your graduating one wide out. On defense Pierre Banks will be gone which is sad but Demery Brewer will be coming in. Then you have Tharrington and Tony Robertson coming back along with Devon Moore and Dominique McDuffie. It's going to be a great year. But a long 8 months.xoopsx xoopsx

Remember this name, he will be a player. If ASU can replace a couple of lineman and get the d-line back healthy #4 could be close.

Been on the wagon since 1985, might as well stay on.

appmountaineer
December 7th, 2008, 06:13 PM
I believe the numbers won't drop off. An ECU win would gurentee that. But, even if we don't beat them, I expect we won't lose many if any season ticket holders because of the loss. We do have the mecca of FCS football by the way xsmiley_wix

fjblair
December 9th, 2008, 03:35 PM
I don't there will be any noticeable drop off. Next years team will be better than this years and if we can avoid big injuries we will make another run. We graduate 5 starters.

AppAlum96
December 9th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Even though I live in San Diego, I'm planning on making the trip to the ECU game. I can't miss that one, since ECU is my Dad's Alma Mater. We're going to go to the game and rib each other incessantly. We went to a basketball game in 90's when ECU came to town, and my dad actually pulled for App, because App was playing for a conference title, and ECU stunk that year. We won that game, and my dad think's we'll beat his Alma Mater this time, too.

GrizFamily
December 9th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Losing the bandwagon fans isn't a bad thing. I sometimes wish we could play survivor in Griz Nation. I know I have a few names that would be at the top of my "Off Griz Island" list.

DSUrocks07
December 9th, 2008, 04:40 PM
I'm sure that if ASU were to win the NC next season this would be considered a hiccup in the grand scheme of things...besides the NE Patriots won the SB in 2001, 2003, and 2004, and they were considered to be one of the greatest teams of our generation. You can't win ALL the time xlolx

I think this would be a good time to change the shocks on that bandwagon of yours. ;)

DX Man
December 9th, 2008, 04:52 PM
ASU has always had good fan supportxthumbsupx

ERASU2113
December 9th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Record setting attendance when McNeese St. travels to Boone...watch.

Especially after the ECU victory xthumbsupx

phillyAPP
December 9th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Losing the bandwagon fans isn't a bad thing. I sometimes wish we could play survivor in Griz Nation. I know I have a few names that would be at the top of my "Off Griz Island" list.

Your right on !!!!

I like your think'in

JMU_MRD'03-'07
December 9th, 2008, 06:29 PM
I love the exposure that the run brought to FCS... but god am I tired of ESPN giving App State loosing more air time than the rest of the FCS season. Seriously ESPN, that's lame.

feb18blacksunday
December 9th, 2008, 10:34 PM
We'll probably have as much or more fan interest in Our Apps. Injuries hurt our chances this year,but the men comin back with our recruits we'll be alright. Sorry ESPN likes us,but do something to warrant the exposure and your team will get the props.

ERASU2113
December 9th, 2008, 11:10 PM
I love the exposure that the run brought to FCS... but god am I tired of ESPN giving App State loosing more air time than the rest of the FCS season. Seriously ESPN, that's lame.

I was watching College Football Live today and I guess in the last 2 minutes of the show they went over FCS playoffs.

All I remember them saying was:
"Congrats to (someone) you're Alma Mater destroyed the 3-time champs"
"Atleast one division of college football knows how to decide a champ."
"Congratulations Mike London."

Then earlier in the day Mike Golic goes on about "Yea, the Division II playoffs have been going on for two weeks. They're two weeks or so from their champion."
Please, tell me he wasn't referring to FCS.....cause it still shows with the exposure people still don't understand we're Division I. xnonono2x

CrackerRiley
December 9th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Please, tell me he wasn't referring to FCS.....cause it still shows with the exposure people still don't understand we're Division I. xnonono2x

He was referring to FCS... Mike and Mike are idiots.

JMU DUUUKES
December 9th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Appalachian State goal #1: Do NOT follow George Masons plan. Hahah, meaning do not have a mass exodus of every fan your school gained during the successful period

ERASU2113
December 9th, 2008, 11:33 PM
He was referring to FCS... Mike and Mike are idiots.

I figured as much....I just wanted to believe people actually knew what in the heck they were talking about.

ASU Tailgaiteer
December 9th, 2008, 11:44 PM
All should be fine

The students today stay for most or all of the game. When I was in school in the last 80's and early 90's, Kidd Brewer cleared out in the 3rd Quarter win or lose. It was sad to see.

Today's fans are more into football and less into partying (although there is still plenty of partying to be had)

The biggest issue for fans is the size of the crowds. Before we beat Michigan, you could always walk up to the stadium and buy a ticket. You could also exit the parking lots quite easily.

Now, tickets are harder to come by (you have to plan your schedule during the summer with friends, other families, etc) and it can take up to two hours to exit some of the parking lots. There are plenty of perks with going "big time," but there are also times when you want it to be the way it was, when you could park and tailgate whereever you wanted (except for the stadium lot), and you could always get a seat.

JMU Newbill
December 10th, 2008, 06:02 AM
ASU is not JMU...... but I can tell you this.... even though JMU has had three years of disappointment following our national championship run, our fan base has grown each year. I doubt very seriously your fan base will do anything but grow next year.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
December 10th, 2008, 06:42 AM
We'll probably have as much or more fan interest in Our Apps. Injuries hurt our chances this year,but the men comin back with our recruits we'll be alright. Sorry ESPN likes us,but do something to warrant the exposure and your team will get the props.

Yes App deserved the exposure... but IMO winning right now is more deserving of the exposure.

Reason #1 why I hate the preseason polling in football and also reason #2 why I hate the biases in FBS... Teams get exposure because they are "better in the polls" even though their records are the same.

Black and Gold Express
December 10th, 2008, 07:44 AM

I honestly think that the fate of the momentum will lie in the decisions to be made as we get closer to 2011. The battle between the "big fish, little pond" people and the "we've done all we can in I-AA, time to move up" people will finally come to a head, and a close. Because both sides are correct in their reasoning for taking their chosen side, there are strong arguments both ways.

My personal opinion is that if we do not move up to I-A, the momentum will at best case plateau, and possibly decline some. The sense of complacency is already creeping in, as discussed in the playoff attendance threads. The completion of the stadium upgrades this fall is a punch in the arm, but even winning another title won't elevate things more. The next great momentum boost will come if ASU announces a jump to I-A.

I'm not advocating it, and I'm not NOT advocating it. I'm just trying to get a look at the land and make guesses.

Appguy
December 10th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Reason #1 why I hate the preseason polling in football and also reason #2 why I hate the biases in FBS... Teams get exposure because they are "better in the polls" even though their records are the same.

at least the polls aren't deciding our NC game a la Oklahoma being above texas??

ASUMountaineer
December 10th, 2008, 08:17 AM
I honestly think that the fate of the momentum will lie in the decisions to be made as we get closer to 2011. The battle between the "big fish, little pond" people and the "we've done all we can in I-AA, time to move up" people will finally come to a head, and a close. Because both sides are correct in their reasoning for taking their chosen side, there are strong arguments both ways.

My personal opinion is that if we do not move up to I-A, the momentum will at best case plateau, and possibly decline some. The sense of complacency is already creeping in, as discussed in the playoff attendance threads. The completion of the stadium upgrades this fall is a punch in the arm, but even winning another title won't elevate things more. The next great momentum boost will come if ASU announces a jump to I-A.

I'm not advocating it, and I'm not NOT advocating it. I'm just trying to get a look at the land and make guesses.

Yeah, and I'm not sure moving up will make people non-complacent. I mean, have you watched non-BCS conference games on ESPN on Tuesday/ Wednesday/ Friday nights? No one is there...it's sad. I just don't want us to be like that--especially if it's for the sake of saying, "we play with the big boys."

DLS
December 10th, 2008, 08:24 AM

the air time they give app does not take away from other fcs air time it's just in addition to it.

if they werent covering appstate they would be covering some low level fbs school not jmu, montana, or richmond.

but youre right, its very lame.

Appfan_in_CAAland
December 10th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I honestly think that the fate of the momentum will lie in the decisions to be made as we get closer to 2011. ...
My personal opinion is that if we do not move up to I-A, the momentum will at best case plateau, and possibly decline some. The sense of complacency is already creeping in.... The next great momentum boost will come if ASU announces a jump to I-A.

Unless we pull a Mt Union and win three more starting next year, we've hit a glass ceiling. A good many of those 8,000-10,000 students who've come out for every game the last few years will become future Yosef club members if they are given an exciting product on the field. And many of those alumni who've reconnected with the program will stay connected if it is a worthwhile trip. They are not going to continue to buy season tickets and drive up the mountain for a .500 season with teams like Samford, Elon, Prebyterian, NC Central, and Jacksonville on the schedule. But the chance for home-and-homes with the likes of ECU, Duke, Marshall, Wake Forest, or West Virginia will keep people in the seats week after week.

Without the jump, I suspect we will never again have less than 12,000 for a regular season game but we could settle in at around 18-20,000. With the jump, our fan base would likely continue to grow.

ASUMountaineer
December 10th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Unless we pull a Mt Union and win three more starting next year, we've hit a glass ceiling. A good many of those 8,000-10,000 students who've come out for every game the last few years will become future Yosef club members if they are given an exciting product on the field. And many of those alumni who've reconnected with the program will stay connected if it is a worthwhile trip. They are not going to continue to buy season tickets and drive up the mountain for a .500 season with teams like Samford, Elon, Prebyterian, NC Central, and Jacksonville on the schedule. But the chance for home-and-homes with the likes of ECU, Duke, Marshall, Wake Forest, or West Virginia will keep people in the seats week after week.

Without the jump, I suspect we will never again have less than 12,000 for a regular season game but we could settle in at around 18-20,000. With the jump, our fan base would likely continue to grow.

See, I disagree. I don't see anything that guarantees we'll get those teams, we most certainly will not be in their conferences. I really don't see many more people traveling up the mountain for a sub .500 team playing schools like Troy and Louisiana-Monroe. I am pretty much against moving up unless it's to a BCS conference, CUSA, or they change the system in FBS. It doesn't make sense to move to play in the Sun Belch.

Black and Gold Express
December 10th, 2008, 10:11 AM
See, I disagree. I don't see anything that guarantees we'll get those teams, we most certainly will not be in their conferences. I really don't see many more people traveling up the mountain for a sub .500 team playing schools like Troy and Louisiana-Monroe. I am pretty much against moving up unless it's to a BCS conference, CUSA, or they change the system in FBS. It doesn't make sense to move to play in the Sun Belch.

Over the last few years practically every I-A team in the Carolinas has, at one time or another, said they would be glad to play ASU if/when they move. I do not believe that to be lip service. As long as we remain in I-AA, we will struggle to get decent OOC games. Right now, outside of this ECU game that fell into our lap, the only I-A teams that will play us are top 10 programs. We're going to get our asses handed to us in those games, not unlike the LSU game.

If we go I-A, we will be a very attractive OOC team for every I-A team within 500 miles of us. We'll have I-A status which will help their case for bowl bids should they win, and that's no small thing. Right now losing to ASU is a season killer almost as long as we are in I-AA.

The question becomes more what is important to you, the playoffs and OOC games like Lenoir-Rhyne and Jacksonville, or a mid-level bowl game and multiple OOC games with the teams we all have been dying to get more of on our schedule.

This is what I mean when I say there are strong arguments on both sides. Both sides have legitimate points with real value. No matter what move is or is not made somebody is going to be unhappy.

My personal opinion is that the overall gains of exposure and growth that are more available in I-A are worth it, if we find the right fit. We're at that time again, so it's fair to trot out that every single year the ratings for the I-AA title game fall below all the bowl games. More I-A games are available on national TV. That's not a small thing. The tradeoff is moving to a less meaningful postseason, which is not a small pill to swallow.

ASUMountaineer
December 10th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Over the last few years practically every I-A team in the Carolinas has, at one time or another, said they would be glad to play ASU if/when they move. I do not believe that to be lip service. As long as we remain in I-AA, we will struggle to get decent OOC games. Right now, outside of this ECU game that fell into our lap, the only I-A teams that will play us are top 10 programs. We're going to get our asses handed to us in those games, not unlike the LSU game.

If we go I-A, we will be a very attractive OOC team for every I-A team within 500 miles of us. We'll have I-A status which will help their case for bowl bids should they win, and that's no small thing. Right now losing to ASU is a season killer almost as long as we are in I-AA.

The question becomes more what is important to you, the playoffs and OOC games like Lenoir-Rhyne and Jacksonville, or a mid-level bowl game and multiple OOC games with the teams we all have been dying to get more of on our schedule.

This is what I mean when I say there are strong arguments on both sides. Both sides have legitimate points with real value. No matter what move is or is not made somebody is going to be unhappy.

My personal opinion is that the overall gains of exposure and growth that are more available in I-A are worth it, if we find the right fit. We're at that time again, so it's fair to trot out that every single year the ratings for the I-AA title game fall below all the bowl games. More I-A games are available on national TV. That's not a small thing. The tradeoff is moving to a less meaningful postseason, which is not a small pill to swallow.

I understand, I tend to feel the same way. But, I am even more on the side of, as you said, it being the right fit. I don't want a good season to be going 6-6 in some crappy conference just because we're playing with the big boys. Right now, that's not to say it won't be different in 2011, the right fit isn't there...at least to me. I guess I value playing for something meaningful, other than exposure, more right now. Even as a kid I didn't understand the bowl system, it's never made sense to me. I am sure I will ultimately fall in the minority, but I'm ok with that. However, I certainly hope, if it happens, I can get behind 100%.

BarefootApp
December 10th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Here it is, Dec. 10, Coach Moore is in his car on a recruiting trip to South Carolina, Virginia, Washington, DC, and southern Penn. I know staffs of winners all work hard, and Coach is at the top of the list, IMO.