PDA

View Full Version : I guess Mickey Matthews was right after all

woffordgrad94
December 6th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Well, now it's time for me to come around and eat a bit of crow. All this year since MM gave his thoughts on the CAA vs. the SoCon publicly, I've been putting him down and calling him arrogant. While I still think it was in bad taste to say what he did publicly, you have to admit that he is being vindicated more and more with each passing day. Richmond REALLY took it to ASU today in a way I never thought possible. There are 4 teams out of 8 from the CAA in the quarters, and two are guaranteed now to make it to the semis. And if UNH can knock off UNI (ot exteremely farfetched), they'll have 75% of the final four. The CAA is one heck of a league this year, and we must give credit where credit is due.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 6th, 2008, 05:00 PM
MM was wrong about one thing and that is the ASU dominance over the SoCon. As I have pointed out before, ASU's average marigin of victory in conference games was slightly lower than JMU's, and if you count games with teams below second place it's even lower.

The CAA is doing well considering Flacco, Cuff, Santos, and Hightower are all gone, though.

South Carolina Duke
December 6th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Well, now it's time for me to come around and eat a bit of crow. All this year since MM gave his thoughts on the CAA vs. the SoCon publicly, I've been putting him down and calling him arrogant. While I still think it was in bad taste to say what he did publicly, you have to admit that he is being vindicated more and more with each passing day. Richmond REALLY took it to ASU today in a way I never thought possible. There are 4 teams out of 8 from the CAA in the quarters, and two are guaranteed now to make it to the semis. And if UNH can knock off UNI (ot exteremely farfetched), they'll have 75% of the final four. The CAA is one heck of a league this year, and we must give credit where credit is due.

Mr. Mathews has been much more PC here as of late. He and Coach Moore are good friends. However, he and his team and conference have validated his comment.

Thanks for the kind words. Good luck to WC next year.

Reign of Terrier
December 6th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Didn't he say that the conference was weak? The CAA is stronger than the Socon, but the teams the Socon put in are generally strong. App lost the game but should have gone down with a closer margin of victory. Richmond is in the top 4 of the country and rightfully so, they are a great team with a great defense.

4th and What?
December 6th, 2008, 09:13 PM
I believe he actually said that App would breeze through the conference. You can take that to mean that SoCon is weak, or he just thinks App is THAT GOOD!

I'm too intent on the UNH game right now to look up the actual quote......ahhhhh sack, yuck.

Ronbo
December 6th, 2008, 09:18 PM
I emailed the AD just to make sure the Coaches didn't forget this and put it up on the bulletin board if they wanted.

Make sure the Coaches see this and remember the disrespect paid to us in 2004 by the JMU Coach.

"If Montana played in the A10 they wouldn't even have made the playoffs."
Mickey Matthews, JMU Head Coach

catamount man
December 6th, 2008, 09:22 PM
No complaints towards the comment from me. JMU-Montana is gonna be good.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

NovaHater
December 6th, 2008, 09:25 PM
2004 ?????

A10 ?????

Damn son, get over it.

South Carolina Duke
December 6th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Didn't he say that the conference was weak? The CAA is stronger than the Socon, but the teams the Socon put in are generally strong. App lost the game but should have gone down with a closer margin of victory. Richmond is in the top 4 of the country and rightfully so, they are a great team with a great defense.

The comment I believe could be interpreted as a compliment to Appy's team and how they have not been challenged by their rivals all that consistently in the SoCon.
As far as Appy going down to UR. It should have been a much larger margin of victory if the Spiders would have capitalized on the opportunities. The final should have been much like WC's on Halloween.

hapapp
December 6th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Only someone who hasn't been paying attention this season, would think that the SoCon and the CAA are on par. Geez, that league almost had 75% of the semifinal teams next weekend. Looking forward to two really interesting games.

madisonfan87
December 6th, 2008, 09:28 PM
The CAA is doing well considering Flacco, Cuff, Santos, and Hightower are all gone, though.

That's what makes the CAA great, it just means another year with other talented players.

Hellgate60
December 6th, 2008, 09:28 PM
2004 ?????

A10 ?????

Damn son, get over it.

Why get over it? If he thought it back then, I wouldn't be surprised if he still thinks it

JohnStOnge
December 7th, 2008, 07:00 AM
"If Montana played in the A10 they wouldn't even have made the playoffs."

Mickey Matthews, JMU Head Coach

I think I remember him mouthing off about how easy Youngstown State was going to be in 2006 shortly before the Penguins bounced his Dukes in the first round. Can't remember the specifics but the general idea was how weak YSU was as compared to teams in the A-10.

I've agreed for years that the A-10/CAA has become the toughest top to bottom league year in and year out. I think where Mathews loses track of reality is in his failure to realize that there are usually some teams in leagues like the Southern, Missouri Valley, Big Sky and Great West as well as sometimes in some of the other leagues that are about as good as the playoff squads in his league.

If that weren't the case the A-10/CAA would've won more than three national titles it's won among the 30 that have been awarded. Part of that has to do with the A-10/CAA just becoming the toughest top to bottom league in the past 10 years or so but that's still "just" 3 of 10.

ASUMountaineer
December 7th, 2008, 07:03 AM
I think he puts his foot in his mouth...and it's generally funny. Anyone who thinks the SoCon is a tough/ good as the CAA (right now) doesn't know football. I'm ok with that. So what?

BDKJMU
December 8th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I think I remember him mouthing off about how easy Youngstown State was going to be in 2006 shortly before the Penguins bounced his Dukes in the first round. Can't remember the specifics but the general idea was how weak YSU was as compared to teams in the A-10.

I've agreed for years that the A-10/CAA has become the toughest top to bottom league year in and year out. I think where Mathews loses track of reality is in his failure to realize that there are usually some teams in leagues like the Southern, Missouri Valley, Big Sky and Great West as well as sometimes in some of the other leagues that are about as good as the playoff squads in his league.

If that weren't the case the A-10/CAA would've won more than three national titles it's won among the 30 that have been awarded. Part of that has to do with the A-10/CAA just becoming the toughest top to bottom league in the past 10 years or so but that's still "just" 3 of 10.

Quit making stuff up. MM never said YSU was weak. Why don't you provide a link for your baseless accusation? Because YOU CAN'T. It was Maine's Cosgrove who said JMU would win, as Maine was the only team that had played both teams in 06'.

""The three [playoff] teams in our league are all better than them," Maine coach Jack Cosgrove said. "Maybe not New Hampshire on defense. I certainly think UMass and Madison are better all-around teams."

Cosgrove is a friend of Matthews’ and said the two have talked by phone three or four times this week, with conversations that ranged from x’s-and-o’s to buses and hotels.

"I’d play Youngstown State in a heartbeat again," said Cosgrove, whose team finished 6-5. "I already told Mickey he’s going win. I keep telling him, ‘Stop worrying. You’re going to win.’""
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=7462&CHID=3

HLNgriz
December 8th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Bobby Huack said in his TV show last night the MM and him have keeped in touch since the 04 NC game and Bobby likes and respects MM. MM just likes to talk trash, and I have no problem with that.

OL FU
December 8th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Does this mean that Northeastern really shouldn't be in the CAAxeyebrowx xconfusedx

JMU DUUUKES
December 8th, 2008, 04:02 PM
[B]

Quit making stuff up. MM never said YSU was weak. Why don't you provide a link for your baseless accusation? Because YOU CAN'T. It was Maine's Cosgrove who said JMU would win, as Maine was the only team that had played both teams in 06'.

""The three [playoff] teams in our league are all better than them," Maine coach Jack Cosgrove said. "Maybe not New Hampshire on defense. I certainly think UMass and Madison are better all-around teams."

Cosgrove is a friend of Matthews’ and said the two have talked by phone three or four times this week, with conversations that ranged from x’s-and-o’s to buses and hotels.

"I’d play Youngstown State in a heartbeat again," said Cosgrove, whose team finished 6-5. "I already told Mickey he’s going win. I keep telling him, ‘Stop worrying. You’re going to win.’""
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=7462&CHID=3

haha beat me to it, it was Cosgrove NOT MM .... i hate when people just make stuff up. MM was NOT happy about playing YSU because of how good he thought they were.

th0m
December 8th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Bobby Huack said in his TV show last night the MM and him have keeped in touch since the 04 NC game and Bobby likes and respects MM. MM just likes to talk trash, and I have no problem with that.

That's pretty sweet, I'm always amazed at how all these coaches know each other and keep in contact with one another.

BDKJMU
December 8th, 2008, 04:31 PM
That's pretty sweet, I'm always amazed at how all these coaches know each other and keep in contact with one another.

Its like a 120 or so member fraternity. Not that big. It's probably common for coaches to kep in touch with a handful even up to to a couple of doz of other coaches. I've heard/read MM state or someone else state MM was friends with Lamb at FU, Moore at ASU, Cosgrove at Maine, Beamer at VA Tech, etc.

Cincy App
December 8th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Only someone who hasn't been paying attention this season, would think that the SoCon and the CAA are on par. Geez, that league almost had 75% of the semifinal teams next weekend. Looking forward to two really interesting games.

The CAA South is extremely strong this year. James Madison, Richmond, and Villanova have outstanding teams this season and the two remaining South teams are now favored to meet in the championship game.

However, the CAA North is not stronger than teams from other top conferences this season. The CAA South dominated the North. No teams in the North beat any of the top 4 teams of the South (including W&M) this season. Congrats to UNH and Maine for making the playoffs and fielding good teams. The dominance of the CAA this year though comes from the South. I expect that to be even more evident after UNI and Richmond square off this Saturday.

appstate1998
December 8th, 2008, 05:37 PM
why do people debate the CAA and SOCON...they are both great but one has more teams than the other....this year is the CAA year...but I think in conference play the CAA is 48-48 and the SOCON is 36-36....Hell one play here or there and Georgia Southern might be in the playoffs...one play here or there and JMU might be fighting for a playoff spot.

Silenoz
December 8th, 2008, 06:11 PM
More like, why do people debate conferences period? Seems silly to me, and not something you saw ten years ago

Reign of Terrier
December 8th, 2008, 06:14 PM
More like, why do people debate conferences period? Seems silly to me, and not something you saw ten years ago

The internet wasn't around 10 years ago. And you don't want to hear the "best conference" discussion because you're a Montana fan.xsmiley_wix

Just Playin':)

HLNgriz
December 8th, 2008, 06:30 PM
[QUOTE=youngterrier;1250970]The internet wasn't around 10 years ago. And you don't want to hear the "best conference" discussion because you're a Montana fan.xsmiley_wix

Don't tell Al Gore thatxwhistlex

Hansel
December 8th, 2008, 06:30 PM
[B]

Despite his complaints about the selection process, the eighth-year coach was in a decidedly more upbeat mood than during Saturday night’s post-game press conference, which occurred shortly after the Dukes blew an 11-point fourth-quarter lead.

Matthews repeated Monday that he still believes JMU, which finished 9-3, was a superior team to Youngstown (10-2) and called it "unjust" that Madison was sent to play in northern Ohio for the first round.

"We knew we were better than them," Matthews said. "If we play Youngstown 10 times, we’re going to beat them seven or eight out of 10."

The Texas native, who coached JMU to the 2004 NCAA Division I-AA championship, also didn’t hesitate when asked if Youngstown was good enough to win this year’s title.

"No," he said. "I think they’re good enough on offense. I don’t think they’re good enough on defense."

"Their quarterback had the game of his life. You’ve got to give that kid credit," Matthews said. "He had a great game. They’re ranked 90th in the nation throwing the ball and they throw for 300 yards. What are the chances they’re going to do that? He probably couldn’t do that against the air today. But for one time, he really played well."

http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=7514&CHID=3

wideright82
December 8th, 2008, 06:45 PM
The internet wasn't around 10 years ago. And you don't want to hear the "best conference" discussion because you're a Montana fan.xsmiley_wix

YT just because you don't remember the internet 10 years ago doesn't mean it didn't exist. xlolxxpeacex

WVAPPmountaineer
December 8th, 2008, 06:47 PM
personally I have very little regard for MM and his mouth - That being said, there is no question the CAA has been the best conference for the last few years but APP has been the best team as we beat the CAA teams throughout the playoffs - This years Richmond team is the best team we have played in the playoffs during the 4 year run - They were impressive and the win was no fluke - I lost any respect for MM after last years game when he blamed everyone including the Athletic department secretary instead of just saying what he was actually doing - He wanted to take the ball, drive it down the field on the national champs on their home field and take it into the endzone for a game winning TD - he didn't want to have to settle for a FG - that wasn't macho enough for him - Of course, he has to live with that stupid decision - The CAA is the best conference - period!!!

BDKJMU
December 8th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Despite his complaints about the selection process, the eighth-year coach was in a decidedly more upbeat mood than during Saturday night’s post-game press conference, which occurred shortly after the Dukes blew an 11-point fourth-quarter lead.

Matthews repeated Monday that he still believes JMU, which finished 9-3, was a superior team to Youngstown (10-2) and called it "unjust" that Madison was sent to play in northern Ohio for the first round.

"We knew we were better than them," Matthews said. "If we play Youngstown 10 times, we’re going to beat them seven or eight out of 10."

The Texas native, who coached JMU to the 2004 NCAA Division I-AA championship, also didn’t hesitate when asked if Youngstown was good enough to win this year’s title.

"No," he said. "I think they’re good enough on offense. I don’t think they’re good enough on defense."

"Their quarterback had the game of his life. You’ve got to give that kid credit," Matthews said. "He had a great game. They’re ranked 90th in the nation throwing the ball and they throw for 300 yards. What are the chances they’re going to do that? He probably couldn’t do that against the air today. But for one time, he really played well."

He NEVER called them WEAK and didn't make a comparison between them and the rest of the CAA as the other poster stated. If you have a really good team, saying you're going to beat a team 7 or 8 times out of 10 isn't calling them weak. For them to be weak he would have had to say 9 out of 10 or 99 out of 100.

He was exactly right on their QB. I was at the game. Zetts was on fire. He threw for over 300, which was probably around 2.5 times what he usually threw for. He had a career day. Meanwhile, JMU held in check YSU's AA tailback and high powered running game. All the talk leading up to the game was YSU's run offense vs JMU's run defense.

And MM was right on YSU not being good enough to win an NC. After YSU beat an easier (according to the YSU radio announcers who I was listening to after the YSU/JMU game) Ill State opponent in the 2nd round who they had already beaten once by a few TDs, YSU lost in the semis to ASU 49-24. JMU had already been beaten by ASU earlier that year. MM knew YSU wasn't nearly as good as ASU, and probably a couple of the other teams, and when asked if they were good enough to win the title, he said no, and he was spot on. That isn't calling them weak. Huge difference.

Silenoz
December 8th, 2008, 07:23 PM

I couldn't care less what the rest of the Big Sky does. I'd have liked for Weber to reach the finals, but no moreso than Villanova or Wofford or Richmond, or any other "new blood." Conference arguments just seem ridiculous and abstract.

YoUDeeMan
December 8th, 2008, 08:13 PM

Great! That settles it then...according to MM, JMU lost to an inferior YSU team and then an inferior Appy team the next year.

It must have been bad coaching. xlolx xlolx

BDKJMU
December 8th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Great! That settles it then...according to MM, JMU lost to an inferior YSU team and then an inferior Appy team the next year.

It must have been bad coaching. xlolx xlolx

Where did MM ever say ASU was inferior last year? I bet even he would have said ASU was the superior team, at least slightly.

Tribe4SF
December 8th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Someone mentioned earlier that Mickey sometimes puts his foot in his mouth. I've noted before that it's one thing to stick it in their occassionally, but Mickey has to move his to brush his teeth.

BDKJMU
December 9th, 2008, 12:48 AM
Someone mentioned earlier that Mickey sometimes puts his foot in his mouth. I've noted before that it's one thing to stick it in their occassionally, but Mickey has to move his to brush his teeth.

He's always candid, and while he'll say things that others won't, more often than not, what he says is true, or later proven to be. Like the comment earlier this season when he said no one in the So-Con was going to beat ASU. Would you rather have a coach who always gives the same old PC canned responses?

jmufan999
December 9th, 2008, 08:58 AM
if people actually LISTEN to him talk instead of just reading press clippings, a lot of times it "reads" worse than it really is. he's just an honest guy, and everyone wants their coach to "fluff around" (i just made that up) and be super nice to every team, and every team can beat us, they're super awesome at this and that... can't there just be a coach that says what he feels? does that make him a bad guy? so he said northeastern shouldn't have been allowed in the league... HE'S RIGHT! they shouldn't have, that was a mistake. so he's evil just because he speaks his mind? does that make Howard Stern evil? people get so sensitive about the guy, it's amazing.

Dukes2011
December 9th, 2008, 09:06 AM
if people actually LISTEN to him talk instead of just reading press clippings, a lot of times it "reads" worse than it really is. he's just an honest guy, and everyone wants their coach to "fluff around" (i just made that up) and be super nice to every team, and every team can beat us, they're super awesome at this and that... can't there just be a coach that says what he feels? does that make him a bad guy? so he said northeastern shouldn't have been allowed in the league... HE'S RIGHT! they shouldn't have, that was a mistake. so he's evil just because he speaks his mind? does that make Howard Stern evil? people get so sensitive about the guy, it's amazing.

Very true. It also doesn't help that Mike Barber, the beat writer, will take anything out of context if he thinks it will help his story out, which it usually does.

BDKJMU
December 9th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Very true. It also doesn't help that Mike Barber, the beat writer, will take anything out of context if he thinks it will help his story out, which it usually does.

Ditto on that. Barber is always trying to drum up a story and stir up controversy.