PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Appalachian State

bobbythekidd
December 6th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Your run has been impressive to watch. No shame in todays game either. It was a fantastic showing. 13 playoff wins, and a current 10 game win streak. Another great year for App.

catamount man
December 6th, 2008, 02:04 PM
No doubt!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

soccerguy315
December 6th, 2008, 02:04 PM
3 straight championships and a quarterfinals appearance.

I'm sure you'll be back fighting for another championship in the playoffs next year.

great year, and nothing to hang your heads about. Congrats on your season, and on your run the last few years

LeopardFan04
December 6th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Can't win them all...Good run Mountaineers!

bobbythekidd
Oh, 3 national championships in a row is kinda impressive. I forgot to include that one.:o

HiHiYikas
Hey, great game Spiders! If it can't be ASU agaoin, it'd be nice to see another private school take home the title.

Good luck next week!

DuckDuckGriz
December 6th, 2008, 02:12 PM
No one said it could be done and you guys constantly proved us wrong. From the Michigan game to all three titles, congrats.

AppChicago
December 6th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the thread. This stings, but we probably needed something to stew over in the off-season.

We'll be returning some pretty strong players next season... I don't know if it's time to cover the casket just yet.

Congrats to Richmond. Nicely done. You whipped us.

T-Dawg95
December 6th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Thankfully, it couldn't last forever.

Congrats, App. You guys helped bring big press to the FCS. Good luck in 2009.

beauvighn
December 6th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Congrats on a good run App St. You guys will be back next year as strong as ever. You represented the SoCon well.

DTSpider
December 6th, 2008, 02:16 PM
I think the biggest compliment I can give ASU is to say that today was the marque win for the Richmond program. You are the 3-time champs and I know will be loaded again next year.

achrist70
December 6th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Good Run App State I don't know if it will be matched for a long time!

theasushow
December 6th, 2008, 02:21 PM
the home winning streak, 4 straight socon titles, 3 straight national titles, biggest upset in college football history, loaded again next year...heck of a run.

Gil Dobie
December 6th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Congrats on the great run Appy xthumbsupx

LehighFan11
December 6th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Congrats to App! Keep your heads up, i know this has to be shocking. 3 straight national championships, hard to get in any sport at any level.

LehighFan11
December 6th, 2008, 02:28 PM
I'm sure Armanti has to feel terrible for throwing the 5 INTs. I really hope he gets some good advice and really uses this as motivation in the offseason. I wouldn't want this game to destroy him for his Senior year.

Black and Gold Express
December 6th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Thanks to all. I'm sure GSU, Montana, and YSU fans can understand what I mean when I say that this year feels a little empty at this exact moment.

As I said before, I can take losing, and losing to a good team. But to lose like that and not recognize your team on the field is just really hard to take right now.

ERASU2113
December 6th, 2008, 02:29 PM
It's sad it all ended today, Boone will have to go through a strange period.

Next year though - we'll be back and reloaded.

Good luck to Richmond and the remaining teams in the playoffs.

T-Dawg95
December 6th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Thanks to all. I'm sure GSU, Montana, and YSU fans can understand what I mean when I say that this year feels a little empty at this exact moment.

As I said before, I can take losing, and losing to a good team. But to lose like that and not recognize your team on the field is just really hard to take right now.

Now you can understand how we all felt on Halloween Night.

ChickenMan
December 6th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Congrats to ASU.. even though they got solidly beat today.. three straight Nationals Titles is a great accomplishment.. that won't be matched anytime soon.

FurmanPaladins4138
December 6th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I would like to state publicly my congratulations to App, and my heartfelt congratulations to Ingle Martin for slipping 2 yards out of the end zone to get this whole thing started ;) ;)

asknoquarter21
December 6th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Just because it isn't 4 straight doesn't mean the run is over.

Congrats to Richmond on the win, but 4 NCs in 5 years still sounds pretty good. Now let's make it happen.

Next years team will be the best we have ever had and I'm expecting big things.

Bad day for a bad outing. Good luck everyone still in the playoffs because this is your chance!

proasu89
December 6th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Your run has been impressive to watch. No shame in todays game either. It was a fantastic showing. 13 playoff wins, and a current 10 game win streak. Another great year for App.

Thank you BTK. Look forward to your visit next year.

xoutofrepx

ericsaid
December 6th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the thread. This stings, but we probably needed something to stew over in the off-season.

We'll be returning some pretty strong players next season... I don't know if it's time to cover the casket just yet.

Congrats to Richmond. Nicely done. You whipped us.

We actually have Gary Tharrington coming back(assuming his academics are in line), then you have Devon Moore and Tony Roberston coming back. Also have Dominique McDuffie coming back(i personally see a change of position for him to safety to keep Gainey on the field along with Gilbert.)

Lot of returning players next year so it should be an exciting next season especially since my two college choices are between App and ECU(I actually was more excited for that game then the SCSU or UR game.)

Good luck to everyone else in the playoffs for the next two weeks.

Appguy
December 6th, 2008, 04:21 PM
We'll be back hungry next year...be ready for us to take down the CUSA champs on opening day! I look forward to Brian Quick taking over next year like he did in this game, hes looking better and better every week. Also the return of Gary Tharrington and all our defense besides Pierre Banks.

mistersykes
December 6th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Indeed, congrats to the team on the threepeat, the home streak, etc. As a student, its been a hell of a ride, and hopefully we'll bounce back!

ur2k
December 6th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Agreed, App's been the flag bearer the last 3 years and have brought a ton of attention to the subdivision.

KiddBrewer
December 6th, 2008, 04:59 PM
NEXT UP...................EAST CAROLINA!!!!!!

and the beginning of an attempt at 3 more!

thank you all for the kind words. we'll be back!

AtlantaMountaineer
December 6th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I must say I signed on expecting a lot of gloating from you guys on AGS. Pure class shown from all of you. Thanks for the posts. I feel a new kindredship with you all. I knew in my heart it had to end someday and was wondering how hard it would be. It was a tough day for App State. But it has been a great run. I remember after finally winning our first National Championship in 2005, I called home and said now I can die happy. I still love my Mountaineers. Thanks again.

Grizaholic17
December 6th, 2008, 05:16 PM
I must say I signed on expecting a lot of gloating from you guys on AGS. Pure class shown from all of you. Thanks for the posts. I feel a new kindredship with you all. I knew in my heart it had to end someday and was wondering how hard it would be. It was a tough day for App State. But it has been a great run. I remember after finally winning our first National Championship in 2005, I called home and said now I can die happy. I still love my Mountaineers. Thanks again.

Words are different than true feelings. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Great season. See ya guys next year for sure! Mighty Kong is not going to slumber.

BlueHen86
December 6th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Congrats APP. 13 straights wins in the playoffs is unreal. It was a heck of a run.

Spider
December 6th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Congrats, Appy, you had a great run and brought a lot of respect to 1AA football......

ISUMatt
December 6th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Appy made the FCS name for us with the 3 titles and the Michigan win!!! THANK YOU ASU!!

phillyAPP
December 6th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Congrats, Appy, you had a great run and brought a lot of respect to 1AA football......

Let me repeat what CoCo Hillary said EVERY YEAR THE ROAD TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP HAS GOTTEN HARDER !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats because the ENTIRE FCS has upped their game as Richmond showed today !!!!!!!!!

Go Richmond............. win yourself a Championship !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ITS GREAT TO BE A MOUNTAINEER ...... EVERY DAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and Thanks to the AGS posters for your support.

mistersykes
December 6th, 2008, 09:35 PM
I also just read on goasu.com that Pierre Banks finishes his career as the NCAA's all-time leader in games played with a whopping 61! xeekx Congrats to him. xbowx

Fanaticalappfan
December 6th, 2008, 10:16 PM
All I have to say is that I love app and always will love app. I am a diehard mountaineer fan. These past 3 years have been absolutely amazing for me and just because this year didn't end with me and 20,000 other app fans rushing the field in Chattanooga doesn't mean that I am any less proud of my team. But I also love the FCS playoffs so much. The FCS is so much more competitive in my opinion compared to the FBS because of it. Bowl Games just don't have the same atmosphere, I kno because ive been to one. It's win or go home and I love that, it makes the games so much more exciting. The FCS is the only place in D-1 college football where true dynasties can happen. Long live the Playoff system and long live the FCS

T-Dog
December 6th, 2008, 10:20 PM
I'm sure the next day or two, the main story will be the end of the App run, but hopefully after that, we'll get back to the Final 4 teams and the game that are left.

100%GRIZ
December 6th, 2008, 11:42 PM
All I have to say is that I love app and always will love app. I am a diehard mountaineer fan. These past 3 years have been absolutely amazing for me and just because this year didn't end with me and 20,000 other app fans rushing the field in Chattanooga doesn't mean that I am any less proud of my team. But I also love the FCS playoffs so much. The FCS is so much more competitive in my opinion compared to the FBS because of it. Bowl Games just don't have the same atmosphere, I kno because ive been to one. It's win or go home and I love that, it makes the games so much more exciting. The FCS is the only place in D-1 college football where true dynasties can happen. Long live the Playoff system and long live the FCS

Congrats Appy on your incredible run - Love the FCS as well !!!!! A True champion is something for all of us to savor!!!! No matter who it is, at least it is decided on the field!!!!

ASUMountaineer
December 7th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Thanks for all of the well wishes. Our team has really accomplished a lot. I graduated in 2003 with the best showing being an overtime loss at Montana in the semifinals my sophomore year (2000) xmadx. The year after I graduated, we didn't make the playoffs. Then we come back and do everything that has been stated above. I can't tell you how awesome it is to walk, almost, anywhere in the country wearing App gear and have people talk to you about App State football. My alma mater is small compared to many colleges, but it is a place that gets in you. I bleed black and gold and I'm proud of, not only the football team, but the university. It's the best place in the world, I am lucky to have gone there, and even luckier to keep being able to go back. It is indeed Great to be a Mountaineer!

HiHiYikas
December 7th, 2008, 07:27 AM
It has been a great run, timed right for a period of my life when I could easily sneak away to Chattanooga for a couple of days every December. This year would have been hard with the growing work demands and a month-old baby in the house. Add that to the fact that a lot of the downtown Chatty hotels were requiring a 2-night stay this year, and my plans would have been hard to pull off.

It's almost too hard to believe, though, that my team (and there's no 'my team' like one's alma mater) just won three straight football tournaments. I can't imagine anything tougher in team sports than a season-ending football tournament. Better, higher-ranked opponents every week. Tougher, more physical defenses and more explosive offenses. The grind of playing 4 seasons worth of games in 3 seasons. It's mystifying, when I look back at it. I really can't believe it happened once, much less three times in a row.

And I can't believe that I was able to be there, with great, easy-to-acquire, inexpensive seats each year. I can't believe that I got to go down on the field and congratulate the players, to go out on the town and celebrate. There can't be many experiences like that in sports that are available to people of low-to-moderate means.

The run had to end sometime, so congrats to Richmond for a big win yesterday. I hope we're only beginning to see what this Spider program is capable of doing.

Finally, there's no doubt in my mind that losing at home in the quarterfinals is better than winning in Florida at the Magic Jack, Inc. St. Petersburg Bowl.

blueballs
December 7th, 2008, 07:28 AM

The GSU folks can certainly sympathize with how you feel.

I'll never forget the home/booster side of Paulson when the clock hit 00:00 in the loss to Furman in 2001 in the semi finals after surrendering a 10 pt halftime lead. That loss ended the legendary SR class' run, Adrian Peterson's career, Paul Johnson's tenure, the 27 game home playoff winning streak (which will NEVER be equalled) and 39 game home winning streak overall.

Everybody kinda just stood there, not knowing what to do next as the Furman fans mobbed their team. We all just looked at each other, then sporadic applause for the team ensued before everybody filed out of the stadium with their heads down. It was a surreal scene.

I'm sure the mood at KBS was similar yesterday.

Kill'em
December 7th, 2008, 07:39 AM
It's a really crappy feeling when you get on a roll like that and it stops so suddenly. You get that feeling you might never lose. I remember when we got knocked off our mountain and folks started dancing (and they still are). Truth be told, App St is going to be more dangerous next year. I would say best wishes but we have to go there next year. xeekx

phillyAPP
December 7th, 2008, 07:40 AM

I'll never forget the home/booster side of Paulson when the clock hit 00:00 in the loss to Furman in 2001 in the semi finals after surrendering a 10 pt halftime lead. That loss ended the legendary SR class' run, Adrian Peterson's career, Paul Johnson's tenure, the 27 game home playoff winning streak (which will NEVER be equalled) and 39 game home winning streak overall.

Everybody kinda just stood there, not knowing what to do next as the Furman fans mobbed their team. We all just looked at each other, then sporadic applause for the team ensued before everybody filed out of the stadium with their heads down. It was a surreal scene.

I know that GSU fans and APP fans have actually grown closer by APPS last 3 years. GSU understands the MAGIC of what just happened in BOONE.

I will say that APP knew what to do after the game. ATLEAST 7,000 of the 15,000 stayed and cheered the players and coaches as they walked to the lockerroom. Coach Moore mentioned it on the radio how APP is the greatest place to play football. Mrs. Moore started crying because we ALL stood and yelled so loud.

Its GREAT TO BE A MOUNTAINEER....... AND WE ARE PROUD OF OUR TEAM!

2009 will be a GREAT YEAR !!!

and thanks to ALL the GSU fans who know how we really feel.

nmatsen
December 7th, 2008, 07:58 AM
I must echo your kudos, what a great run by a great program. We can all strive for what App has done.

Ivytalk
December 7th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Excellent job, ASU! You guys have broken the mold.xthumbsupx

bobbythekidd
December 7th, 2008, 08:15 AM

Nice job BB. You identified the exact moment I was thinking of when I decided to post this thread. I won't say it is a sickening feeling, but one that makes you wonder what you should feel like. It is more like a feeling of bewilderment and shock.

Saint3333
December 7th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Thank you for all the classy posts on this thread. The posters on this thread are all class guys and I enjoy reading your posts as you guys seem to truely get it and understand how many things have to go perfectly to win one championship.

I feel guilty that I don't feel that bad today. I only have positive things to say and I have enjoyed this run after 20 years of getting close. About half of the fans in attendance yesterday stayed until the bitter end, after the players congratulated the Richmond players, had their prayer on the 50, we all gave them a standing ovation and chanted ASU. For some strange reason this loss didn't feel like the 1995 loss to SFA, the 1999 embarassment to FAMU, or the heartbreak in 2000 vs. Montana. I've never been more proud to be a Mountaineer. We have some great players and coaches, who are also excellent men.

Looking forward to some great games this weekend as I believe all teams have a chance to win it all and I'm looking forward to the future of ASU football as well, the future is bright.

ASUMountaineer
December 7th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Thank you for all the classy posts on this thread. The posters on this thread are all class guys and I enjoy reading your posts as you guys seem to truely get it and understand how many things have to go perfectly to win one championship.

I feel guilty that I don't feel that bad today. I only have positive things to say and I have enjoyed this run after 20 years of getting close. About half of the fans in attendance yesterday stayed until the bitter end, after the players congratulated the Richmond players, had their prayer on the 50, we all gave them a standing ovation and chanted ASU. For some strange reason this loss didn't feel like the 1995 loss to SFA, the 1999 embarassment to FAMU, or the heartbreak in 2000 vs. Montana. I've never been more proud to be a Mountaineer. We have some great players and coaches, who are also excellent men.

Looking forward to some great games this weekend as I believe all teams have a chance to win it all and I'm looking forward to the future of ASU football as well, the future is bright.

xnodx Amen.