PDA

View Full Version : I will NEVER call the CAA overrated again.

catamount man
December 6th, 2008, 01:58 PM
I am SoCon born and bred, but dang it, you guys RULED this year. All the best in the fight for 'nooga.

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xbowx xbowx xbowx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

ASU88
December 6th, 2008, 02:42 PM
This playoff season should end any questions about the top conference this year (not that there should have been any questions.)

Congrats CAA. Strong showing.

WrenFGun
December 6th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Classy on both your parts. LET'S GO UNH. KEEP IT GOING.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 6th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Let's see if at least one of their teams wins the NC first. If you get 5 in two years in a row and can't win a NC it probably means having a split conference and a weak OOC schedule helped you get 5 in more so than actual conference depth.

th0m
December 6th, 2008, 03:09 PM
I never thought I was gonna say this but:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If we'd all agree with each other on these forums it'd get real boring real quick. In the end, the teams will decide what's what on the field.

Of course, it's nice to hear the truth every once in a while ;)

FlyBoy8
December 6th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Let's see if at least one of their teams wins the NC first. If you get 5 in two years in a row and can't win a NC it probably means having a split conference and a weak OOC schedule helped you get 5 in more so than actual conference depth.

Two CAA teams beat the team that went undefeated in the SoCon. I'm not sure what else there is to discuss.

xcoffeex

mtnman
December 6th, 2008, 03:31 PM
caa was the best conference this year hands down

93henfan
December 6th, 2008, 03:42 PM
The CAA/A-10 has been the best conference for the past six seasons, but the SoCon had the best team for three of those seasons (05-06-07).

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 6th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Two CAA teams beat the team that went undefeated in the SoCon. I'm not sure what else there is to discuss.

xcoffeex

That's one way of looking at it. You can also note that the best team in the CAA (which arguably dominated their conference more than App did the SoCon) beats the two best SoCon teams by a combined total of 6 points.

bandl
December 6th, 2008, 03:49 PM
That's one way of looking at it. You can also note that the best team in the CAA (which arguably dominated their conference more than App did the SoCon) beats the two best SoCon teams by a combined total of 6 points.

A win is a win. Another way to look at it is that the CAA is still playing, the Socon is not. In fact, the CAA will still be playing next week too. :)

th0m
December 6th, 2008, 03:50 PM

Waiiiiiit a minute! I thought we didn't dominate, but were just lucky in a couple of games xconfusedx :D

4th and What?
December 6th, 2008, 03:51 PM

Agreed! xthumbsupx It's been a great year for the CAA!

Now let's go UNH!!!!

bandl
December 6th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Waiiiiiit a minute! I thought we didn't dominate, but were just lucky in a couple of games xconfusedx :D

Agreed. Richmond wasn't the better team today, they just got lucky they caught ASU having a really bad game.

Tod
December 6th, 2008, 03:54 PM

So, what you're saying is that the best CAA team is better than the top two SoCon teams?

MacThor
December 6th, 2008, 03:58 PM
The third-best CAA team was better than the best SoCon team today by 20.

art vandelay
December 6th, 2008, 03:58 PM

thats a terrible point. Especialy if you are trying to say the Socon was better. xnonono2x

beauvighn
December 6th, 2008, 03:59 PM

OUCH!!

HiHiYikas
I've never really understand why people get caught up in the "one conference is better than another" conversation. All conferences have good teams and bad teams. Only one conference produces the national champion, and that happens as the result of a playoff system, so "best conference" talk is especially futile at this level.

I really don't care if one conference has the #2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 teams in the country. If the #1 team in the country comes from another conference, it's irrelevant.

What are they going to do, for an all-conference squad and schedule a game against the #1? And how do they figure out a fair way to ensure the "best conference" trophy spends the proper amount of time on each conference campus?

Is this just an example of conversation for the sake of conversation, sorta like asking who the best team ever was?

93henfan

On the road.

bandl
December 6th, 2008, 04:02 PM

You mean the 3rd best CAA team in the South division....

It could be argued that UR is the 4th best CAA team overall... xeyebrowx

Just goes to show.... xwhistlex

ericsaid
December 6th, 2008, 04:02 PM
"I will NEVER call the CAA overrated again."

I will. Will I mean it, oh hell yeah. Will it be true depends on your standards.

YoUDeeMan
December 6th, 2008, 04:04 PM

Let's not forget that JMU beat both Appy (beat them like a stuffed rag doll in the second half) and Wofford while Richmond destroyed Elon and Appy.

Nothing left to say.

MountaineerGuy
December 6th, 2008, 04:10 PM
I can't say I'll never call the CAA overrated again...

but it won't be until several graduation years have passed, at least ;)

paward
December 6th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Agreed. Richmond wasn't the better team today, they just got lucky they caught ASU having a really bad game.

Let me think about this one and get back to ya!

Appguy
December 6th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Let's not forget that JMU beat both Appy (beat them like a stuffed rag doll in the second half) and Wofford while Richmond destroyed Elon and Appy.

Nothing left to say.

....other than that were still 4-2 vs. CAA teams over the past 3 seasons

bandl
December 6th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Let me think about this one and get back to ya!

I was being sarcastic...blame the vodka for not allowing clarity!! xlolx

YoUDeeMan
December 6th, 2008, 04:17 PM

Cue Janet Jackson.

millwoga1
December 6th, 2008, 05:05 PM

xcoffeex

This argument works great for this year for the CAA to be the best conference but if you look at last year it doesn't work at all. App. state lost two conference games last year and then swept through the CAA in the playoffs. So if you are making this argument, you are making it for this year only.

FlyBoy8
December 6th, 2008, 05:32 PM
This argument works great for this year for the CAA to be the best conference but if you look at last year it doesn't work at all. App. state lost two conference games last year and then swept through the CAA in the playoffs. So if you are making this argument, you are making it for this year only.

I don't understand what you're trying to say. My comment was pretty straightforward. What does last year have to do with anything?

GannonFan
December 6th, 2008, 05:36 PM

And 0-2 this year and 5 of the 6 games were basically home games. Great run, but the run's over.

Appguy
December 6th, 2008, 06:35 PM
And 0-2 this year and 5 of the 6 games were basically home games. Great run, but the run's over.

Cue Janet Jackson.

funny, both coming from fans of a 4-8 team in the cellar of the CAA. our run isn't over as long as Armanti is our QB.The CAA may be all it's been hyped to be this year, but your squad has had nothing to do with it.

State Line Liquors
December 6th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I'd also say pretty much the only leg the SoCon has to stand on in this argument is ASU. If I was a 'neer, I'd tell the rest of the SoCon fans to quit draggin on my coattails.

Longhorn
December 6th, 2008, 08:15 PM

xnonox

Longhorn
December 6th, 2008, 08:17 PM

I will. Will I mean it, oh hell yeah. Will it be true depends on your standards.

xnonono2x Well, obviously you have no standards (or sense of reality) if you can't give credit where credit is due.

GannonFan
December 6th, 2008, 08:24 PM
funny, both coming from fans of a 4-8 team in the cellar of the CAA. our run isn't over as long as Armanti is our QB.The CAA may be all it's been hyped to be this year, but your squad has had nothing to do with it.

And where did I say that UD had anything to do with anything? And yeah, the run just ended. You can start a new one next year. xthumbsupx

South Carolina Duke
December 6th, 2008, 09:08 PM
caa was the best conference this year hands down

Gee, you think.. How about for a while now. But thanks for the compliment.

South Carolina Duke
December 6th, 2008, 09:13 PM

That average could have been larger if only we could have played
Ga. Southern..Sour grapes SoCon. Relax and watch some CAA football.
Merry Christmas.

Reign of Terrier
December 6th, 2008, 09:14 PM
That average could have been larger if only we could have played
Ga. Southern..Sour grapes SoCon. Relax and watch some CAA football.
Merry Christmas.

I think the stats he's referring to just show how good JMU is.

South Carolina Duke
December 6th, 2008, 09:35 PM
I think the stats he's referring to just show how good JMU is.

Thanks for clearing that up, I thought is was all "LUCK". I feel better now.

ViennaSpider
December 6th, 2008, 11:36 PM

That's very gracious of you, bendl. You do know that ASU got beat by 20 points today? Right? As it happens, that's the same number of points that Richmond got beat by last year. I don't think any Spider fans were calling last year's game a "lucky" win for ASU. As you will recall, the Spiders were beaten like a drum by AE in the fourth quarter. But not this year. Own up to your loss.

MacThor
December 7th, 2008, 10:08 AM
That's very gracious of you, bendl. You do know that ASU got beat by 20 points today? Right? As it happens, that's the same number of points that Richmond got beat by last year. I don't think any Spider fans were calling last year's game a "lucky" win for ASU. As you will recall, the Spiders were beaten like a drum by AE in the fourth quarter. But not this year. Own up to your loss.

I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm.

ASUMountaineer
December 7th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Gee, you think.. How about for a while now. But thanks for the compliment.

So what makes you happier, JMU winning or the CAA being "the best conference?" For the last, oh I don't know...ever, I could care less which conference is best. I'm concerned about ASU being the best. We're not going to win this year, and if a CAA doesn't win the NC (or doesn't get to the NC game) what has being "the best conference" gotten you?

Not a damn thing. Which is exactly what a conference can win...not a damn thing.

I really don't understand this argument and why so many people actually care who has the best conference.

Before you say, "if you don't care why did you post?" The answer is: To make a point.

The CAA is clearly the best conference. Anyone who argues that doesn't know football. But, again, I ask...who cares? Or, if you like, what makes it relevant to anything? Is there a best conference trophy? I don't think so.

ASUG8
December 7th, 2008, 10:28 AM

Wow - a SoCon fan compliments the CAA, and you start trying to make excuses for WoCo and ASU? Both teams were beaten by JMU, UR took it to us in our house because of their talent, not luck. Get a grip.

ASUG8
December 7th, 2008, 10:30 AM

Nothing left to say.

I see your last two weeks of not having to pay attention to UD football allowed you some research time. Good job xsmiley_wix

ASUG8
December 7th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I'd also say pretty much the only leg the SoCon has to stand on in this argument is ASU. If I was a 'neer, I'd tell the rest of the SoCon fans to quit draggin on my coattails.

Yeah, GSU, WoCo, Elon and Furman were all powder puffs this year for ASU. I don't think the JMUer's would even argue that two 3 point victories over the SoCon were exactly a shellacking. Still two L's for the SoCon, but both teams played the number 1 team very well.

Uncle Buck
December 7th, 2008, 11:15 AM
I just want to say this, i don't want to aregue what the best conference is, but damn, yesterday was the best $21 bucks i spent in a long time. Great games all around and congrats to everyone that advanced.

Great win by Richmond, strong win for Montana, JMU game was great and the UNH game, man oh man. I gave UNH little chance but damn, if they didn't have me screaming at the tv. Great job all around and while i won't argue best conference, NC or not, CAA definitely represented itself IMO. Can't wait for next week.

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 7th, 2008, 11:15 AM
I've never really understand why people get caught up in the "one conference is better than another" conversation. All conferences have good teams and bad teams. Only one conference produces the national champion, and that happens as the result of a playoff system, so "best conference" talk is especially futile at this level.

I really don't care if one conference has the #2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 teams in the country. If the #1 team in the country comes from another conference, it's irrelevant.

What are they going to do, for an all-conference squad and schedule a game against the #1? And how do they figure out a fair way to ensure the "best conference" trophy spends the proper amount of time on each conference campus?

Is this just an example of conversation for the sake of conversation, sorta like asking who the best team ever was?

So true......best conference talk is BORING.........

Monarch History
December 7th, 2008, 01:13 PM

xnodx xnodx xnodx

bandl
December 7th, 2008, 01:17 PM

1) It's called sarcasm. If you paid attention yesterday on AGS, there were many responses from Appy State folk saying that Richmond got lucky, Appy State beat themselves, blah blah blah. And on the opposite end, there were many Appy State folk stating the truth, that Richmond was simply the better team yesterday. xnodx

2) I went to JMU. It's in my sig.

3) I was rooting for Richmond to win.xrulesx

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 7th, 2008, 02:52 PM
So what makes you happier, JMU winning or the CAA being "the best conference?" For the last, oh I don't know...ever, I could care less which conference is best. I'm concerned about ASU being the best. We're not going to win this year, and if a CAA doesn't win the NC (or doesn't get to the NC game) what has being "the best conference" gotten you?

Not a damn thing. Which is exactly what a conference can win...not a damn thing.

I really don't understand this argument and why so many people actually care who has the best conference.

Before you say, "if you don't care why did you post?" The answer is: To make a point.

The CAA is clearly the best conference. Anyone who argues that doesn't know football. But, again, I ask...who cares? Or, if you like, what makes it relevant to anything? Is there a best conference trophy? I don't think so.

Being in a good conference helps recruiting, helps your GPI and you become more likely to get more AL bids in the future. Why do the PL, OVC, and MEAC seldom get AL bids? Because of their poor playoff records. I like having the team with the most championship trophies but I'd also like the conference that my team is in win some more trophies as well.

ASU
December 7th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Being in a good conference helps recruiting, helps your GPI and you become more likely to get more AL bids in the future. Why do the PL, OVC, and MEAC seldom get AL bids? Because of their poor playoff records. I like having the team with the most championship trophies but I'd also like the conference that my team is in win some more trophies as well.

True...........but, it's not really the conference, it's the teams within the conference; which can change from time to time.

ASUMountaineer
December 7th, 2008, 03:27 PM

I didn't say it didn't. You misread my post. I'm talking about people arguing or caring who has the BEST conference, especially on a message board. It is irrelevant. I like saying the SoCon is a great conference, we have been down, we'll be up again at some point. That is great, but I think it's easier to recruit when you're winning championships, as opposed to having a good conference that doesn't win it all. I'd like to see the SoCon win too, but it's pointless to argue about which conference is best.

TribeNomad
December 7th, 2008, 04:21 PM
A very, very good chance that two teams from the CAA South will be playing each other for the NC. I know those teams, we face them every single uear......

89Hen
December 7th, 2008, 04:22 PM
but it's pointless to argue about which conference is best.
Loser talk. xmadx

xsmiley_wix :p

South Carolina Duke
December 7th, 2008, 09:22 PM

I do not mean to speak for the entire JMU Nation, but the WINS, each one of them mean more!

However, your post was "Trophy" enough! A shiney one tooxpeacex

MountaineerGuy
December 7th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Loser talk. xmadx

xsmiley_wix :p

SHHHHHHHHHHyou're not one of the reasons the CAA is the best ;)

BDKJMU
December 7th, 2008, 09:34 PM

Intelligent words from the one who earlier this year said:

villanova also wont do anything this season, or next or the next UR is returning a lot of players and from what i saw ayt the App semi final game will be a force to be reckoned with for the next couple of years, as for james madison, im sorry i cant say the same thing
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37943&page=5
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

ASUMountaineer
December 8th, 2008, 06:56 AM
I do not mean to speak for the entire JMU Nation, but the WINS, each one of them mean more!

However, your post was "Trophy" enough! A shiney one tooxpeacex

xlolx I am glad I yield such power, everyone drop and bow ASUMountaineer! xlolx Just kidding, I am sure the next two weeks will be filled with great FCS football.

andy7171
December 8th, 2008, 07:19 AM
I don't know which is more entertaining, this guy taking everything life and death serious or calling bandl to own up to his App State allegiance! xlolx

Lighten up Francis!

AshevilleApp2
December 8th, 2008, 07:44 AM
I don't know which is more entertaining, this guy taking everything life and death serious or calling bandl to own up to his App State allegiance! xlolx

Lighten up Francis!

Yeah bandl, fess up. xlolx xlolx

bandl
December 8th, 2008, 08:07 AM

Lighten up Francis!

Yeah bandl, fess up. xlolx xlolx

OK, OK...I confess....I am secretly in love with Appy State. :o And I might as well admit my love for Towson State too. And Margaret & Willy. xnodx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 8th, 2008, 08:08 AM
OK, OK...I confess....I am secretly in love with Appy State. :o And I might as well admit my love for Towson State too. And Margaret & Willy. xnodx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Don't forget those Blue Chicke........I mean Hens!

AlphaSigMD
December 8th, 2008, 08:55 AM
I won't say "I'll never" - but they have certainly proven themselves as a conference this year.

Could chance next year.

The times certainly are a-changin with ASU losing at home in the playoffs. xsmhx I mean, Richmond, Maine and FAMU in the last 10 years, but who's counting really?

It will be interesting to see if the CAA can keep up this level of play in the years to come. It certainly helps that they have a large conference of teams that don't play each other consistantly year in-year out...but it certainly doesn't when a atleast 5 or so of those teams are legit national championship contenders.

All in all - the SoCon dominated the playoffs*** in terms of championships for quite some time. There may be a new era of sustainable CAA dominance on the horizon, but only time will tell.

***Quick, Dirty and Reasonable Stats from current and pertient past members in respective conferences for national championships) - All teams given same benefits in a "where were they then and where are they now computation". Sincere regrets for any mistakes.

SoCon Teams
12 National Titles (10 if you discount GA Southerns 2 as independant)
20 National Championship Game Apperances (and take out a few GSU's if you want)

Big Sky
5 National Titles
10 Appearances

MV/Gateway
5 National Titles
8 Appearances

CAA/A-10/Yankee
3 National Titles
8 Appearances

OVC
3 National Titles
5 Appearances

OL FU
December 8th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I won't say "I'll never" - but they have certainly proven themselves as a conference this year.

Could chance next year.

The times certainly are a-changin with ASU losing at home in the playoffs. xsmhx I mean, Richmond, Maine and FAMU in the last 10 years, but who's counting really?

It will be interesting to see if the CAA can keep up this level of play in the years to come. It certainly helps that they have a large conference of teams that don't play each other consistantly year in-year out...but it certainly doesn't when a atleast 5 or so of those teams are legit national championship contenders.

All in all - the SoCon dominated the playoffs*** in terms of championships for quite some time. There may be a new era of sustainable CAA dominance on the horizon, but only time will tell.

***Quick, Dirty and Reasonable Stats from current and pertient past members in respective conferences for national championships) - All teams given same benefits in a "where were they then and where are they now computation". Sincere regrets for any mistakes.

SoCon Teams
12 National Titles (10 if you discount GA Southerns 2 as independant)
20 National Championship Game Apperances (and take out a few GSU's if you want)

Big Sky
5 National Titles
10 Appearances

MV/Gateway
5 National Titles
8 Appearances

CAA/A-10/Yankee
3 National Titles
8 Appearances

OVC
3 National Titles
5 Appearances

The argument in my opinion hasn't been whether the CAA is good (at least not lately). I personally think the top to bottom argument they would win most years. The argument for me has always been who cares about from top to bottom because the top is what matters. They have clearly shown this year they can make a good argument on both counts. xthumbsupx xbowx

Of course, the championship is yet to be decided. :D

Personally, I am rooting for UNI since they have been a top program for 30 years without a championship and then Richmond after that since they have not won a championship and I wouldn't mind sharing the title as one of two private schools to win the I-AA.FCS national championship.

ChickenMan
December 8th, 2008, 09:16 AM
SHHHHHHHHHHyou're not one of the reasons the CAA is the best ;)

just like GSU isn't one of the SoCon's best??? ;)

ChickenMan
December 8th, 2008, 09:18 AM
The argument for me has always been who cares about from top to bottom because the top is what matters.

Unfortunately I cared.. a lot about the bottom... this year...... :p

OL FU
December 8th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Unfortunately I cared.. a lot about the bottom... this year...... :p

:o xnodx

Rekdiver
December 8th, 2008, 10:53 AM
I never thought the CAA was overrated or underrated, but it sure has proven itself and added alot of spice to the FCS.

But at the end of the day it ain't about the conference, you don't get a title for being the best conference just the best team....and I believe that it would be very easy for both Richmond and JMU to play in the championship.

Thank God we have a playoff!!!

Congrats to all the semifinalists, your wins were well deserved!!

UD77
December 8th, 2008, 11:01 AM

Who do you think helped them get winning records:)

JMU2K_DukeDawg
December 8th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Yes, this year the CAA has simply ruled over FCS football. It still has to prove itself against the BSC (Montana) and MVC (UNI), but the CAA is just having one of those years like the Big XII is having with Texas, Texas Tech and Oklahoma among others.

Things will rotate and change, but the CAA, SoCon, BSC and MVC are always the best. The order just rotates every couple of years.

Investments in the CAA South in particular are paying off. Better facilities at already good schools make for strong programs. Delaware is on its heels a bit now after years of owning the conference. Competition brings out the best in everyone. xthumbsupx

BDKJMU
December 8th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Yes, this year the CAA has simply ruled over FCS football. It still has to prove itself against the BSC (Montana) and MVC (UNI), but the CAA is just having one of those years like the Big XII is having with Texas, Texas Tech and Oklahoma among others.

Things will rotate and change, but the CAA, SoCon, BSC and MVC are always the best. The order just rotates every couple of years.

Investments in the CAA South in particular are paying off. Better facilities at already good schools make for strong programs. Delaware is on its heels a bit now after years of owning the conference. Competition brings out the best in everyone. xthumbsupx

Haven't read through this whole thread, so someone may have already mentioned this, but yep, CAA in playoffs is 5-2 against non CAA, 6-3 overall. Could make it 7-2 against non CAA this weekend.
JMU 2-0*
UR 2-0
Nova 1-1*
UNH 1-1
Maine 0-1

ViennaSpider
December 9th, 2008, 09:38 PM
A very, very good chance that two teams from the CAA South will be playing each other for the NC. I know those teams, we face them every single uear......

I suspect that if W&M had made the field of sixteen, rather than Maine, the Spiders would be playing this weekend at home on grass instead of on concrete in Iowa.

South Carolina Duke
December 9th, 2008, 09:43 PM

Forget the past, just let it go...

ViennaSpider
December 9th, 2008, 09:48 PM
1) It's called sarcasm. If you paid attention yesterday on AGS, there were many responses from Appy State folk saying that Richmond got lucky, Appy State beat themselves, blah blah blah. And on the opposite end, there were many Appy State folk stating the truth, that Richmond was simply the better team yesterday. xnodx

2) I went to JMU. It's in my sig.

3) I was rooting for Richmond to win.xrulesx

Looks like I got the wrong end of the stick, again!!! At least you didn't call me a newbie. See you in Chatty.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 9th, 2008, 09:53 PM

Hey, let's all agree on one thing. FCS football is a great national level of competitive, fun, and entertaining football.

NEC's U of Albany just missed beating UNH and finished 9-3. Everybody has a story to tell for every conference. Just enjoy!

Peace xpeacex

UD77
December 10th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Bandl does have the best Avatar I think we could all agree, even if he is a JMU fan

89Hen
December 10th, 2008, 03:42 PM
I've never really understand why people get caught up in the "one conference is better than another" conversation....

Yes, but this is a message board. xpeacex

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 10th, 2008, 03:48 PM
I didn't say it didn't. You misread my post. I'm talking about people arguing or caring who has the BEST conference, especially on a message board. It is irrelevant. I like saying the SoCon is a great conference, we have been down, we'll be up again at some point. That is great, but I think it's easier to recruit when you're winning championships, as opposed to having a good conference that doesn't win it all. I'd like to see the SoCon win too, but it's pointless to argue about which conference is best.

Not trying to be a smart-***, but how exactly do you define "pointless"? Depending on how you define it, all conversation on this site is pointless.