PDA

View Full Version : UNI/UNH Attendance

UNHFan
December 6th, 2008, 07:36 AM
This is the third article where school officials at UNI are predicting lower attendance.

Any reason this game will have less then last year?

Now can we please not clog this thread with the overly sensitive responses I am attaching an article that quotes a UNI official "Dannen said a crowd of between 8,000 and 10,000 is expected for today's game."

Again trying to find out if their is a reason? Something going on at the same time? What? Let me know I WASNT THIS PLACE PACKED!!!

Could very well be they are just talking low numbers to look good when it sells out? UNI Fans get that place sold out will ya!!!

While Northern Iowa surged to eight straight wins and a No. 3 seed for the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision playoffs, the school's athletic director, Troy Dannen, and other officials were busy crunching numbers.

At issue: How much could they afford to bid for home playoff games?

Dannen, in his first year at the post, decided along with other officials to raise the bar in the bidding process, which must be complete with three weeks remaining in the regular season and postseason possibilities still in flux.

The Panthers (10-2) play host to Maine (8-4) in today's 4:05 p.m. first-round playoff game at the UNI-Dome.

"The message has been loud and clear from the NCAA that financial considerations are in the forefront of everybody's mind right now," Dannen said. "We wanted to make sure we did everything we were comfortable doing to ensure we had the potential for home field for any round of the playoffs."

Dannen said minimum bids to the NCAA for home playoff games are $30,000, $40,000 and $50,000 in ascending order from the first round to the semifinals, and Northern Iowa more than doubled those minimums in a quest to secure as many Dome games as possible.

"You don't know if you're going to be in (a seeded) situation or not," Dannen said. "Last year (when the Panthers were undefeated entering the playoffs), we could bid the minimums and know we were going to have those games here. This year, it wasn't a chance we were willing to take."

Northern Iowa is typically among the top bidders for postseason football home games when in the running for a berth.

But Dannen felt that trademark aggressiveness needed a spike and said increased revenue from higher regular-season ticket prices helped make larger-than-usual bids possible.

"This is the great challenge and maybe the great privilege of the job," Dannen said. "You fight to be in the position to make the playoffs, let alone host games. This is really what you work all season for as an administrator, to be able to help put your team in the best position to have success at the next level."

Dannen said a crowd of between 8,000 and 10,000 is expected for today's game.

Last season, the Panthers drew 16,015 fans to their 38-35 first-round win over New Hampshire at the Dome, but Dannen called that "an anomaly."

"We'd been building all season long, there had been a buzz we'd never had before," Dannen said of the 2007 first-round playoff crowd. "This year is almost textbook compared to other years where we've hosted a first round."

Dannen said Northern Iowa coach Mark Farley e-mailed students Friday offering them a free ticket to a possible quarterfinal home game if they return to Cedar Falls on the Thanksgiving weekend and spend $14 on a student ticket for today's game.

The message: Plenty of good seats remain, for students and casual, older fans interested in buying a game-day ticket for $26.

The promise: another thrilling game and, based on history, a win.

The Panthers have never lost a game at home that opened a playoff slate, compiling a 10-0 mark in such situations.

"Our only advantage is it's a home football game," Farley said.

Dannen won't lose sleep over the higher bids.

He said the department has already calculated it will reach or surpass the ticket sales threshold required to honor the amount of net revenue from today's game guaranteed the NCAA.

Dannen said the NCAA collects 85 percent of the net revenue from a playoff game. The host school keeps 15 percent.

"We do have to be very analytical as we go through the process," he said. "The fortunate thing for me is, we do have a staff that's been through this many times. And we have a long track record of knowing what we can expect from an attendance standpoint."

UNHFan
December 6th, 2008, 07:38 AM
WANT!!! NOT WASNT!! Im not that bright

4th and What?
December 6th, 2008, 07:43 AM
That was an article for last week. They also go on to explain the students were home for Thanksgiving break.

Attendance was low for everyone last week due to the holiday. Happens every year from what I have read.

Houndawg
December 6th, 2008, 07:45 AM
WANT!!! NOT WASNT!! Im not that bright

No need to belabor the obvious.

UNHFan
December 6th, 2008, 07:46 AM
OH!! DUH!!! Sorry it was Dated November 29, 2008 So I kinda read right through the clues it could be older. Dam how do I delete this thread?

PantherRob82
December 6th, 2008, 08:20 AM
It's fairly similar for this week. Doesn't sound like attendance will come anywhere near 16k. Part of the issue is the raise in ticket prices from last season.

Mn_Moose
December 6th, 2008, 09:25 AM
It's fairly similar for this week. Doesn't sound like attendance will come anywhere near 16k. Part of the issue is the raise in ticket prices from last season.

Since I saw this "NCAA collects 85 percent of the net revenue from a playoff game. The host school keeps 15 percent." I've been wondering... do all schools have the same ticket price set by the NCAA, or is that decided by the University?

JayJ79
December 6th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Since I saw this "NCAA collects 85 percent of the net revenue from a playoff game. The host school keeps 15 percent." I've been wondering... do all schools have the same ticket price set by the NCAA, or is that decided by the University?

No, the NCAA doesn't set the prices. But they have rules governing playoff ticket prices:
1) Playoff tickets can't be sold for less than regular season tickets were.
2) A minimum of $10 for reserved seating, $6 for GA. $5 for student GA tickets.

JayJ79
December 6th, 2008, 09:44 AM
I can't figure it out either.
And it frustrates the heck out of me.

That being said, there will still be at least 9-10K there. And it will still be quite loud.

IABison
December 6th, 2008, 10:14 AM
No, the NCAA doesn't set the prices. But they have rules governing playoff ticket prices:
1) Playoff tickets can't be sold for less than regular season tickets were.
2) A minimum of $10 for reserved seating, $6 for GA. $5 for student GA tickets.

I understand student tickets for the UNI game today are free... how did they do that? xconfusedx

OxSoxUNH05
December 6th, 2008, 11:25 AM
I understand student tickets for the UNI game today are free... how did they do that? xconfusedx

At UNH students just show their ID to get in. Maybe something like that, or for some reason students didn't show up to the game xthumbsupxxsmiley_wix

UNIFanSince1983
December 6th, 2008, 11:37 AM

I don't know how they did it, but the tickets were only free for those students who attended last weeks game.

crunifan
December 6th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I don't know how they did it, but the tickets were only free for those students who attended last weeks game.

That was true at first. But starting yesterday, they changed it to ANY student ticket is free, and if you have already paid the $10 price, you will have your money refunded to you.

I don't know if that will significantly increase attendance, but lets hope.

I expect over 10,000, but definitely not close to a sellout. Which is very disappointing.

UNI Pike
December 6th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Some one else is paying for the tickets, because the NCAA is not giving them away. Don't know who.

achrist70
December 6th, 2008, 12:58 PM
I know that Farley is paying for the students that attended last week. However I don't know about the rest are you sure they are refunding the people who already paid $10.

clenz
December 6th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I know that Farley is paying for the students that attended last week. However I don't know about the rest are you sure they are refunding the people who already paid $10.Yes, they are. It won't be that hard. 99% of the students, if not more, that bought tickets for this week did it on their UBill. The $10 dollar charge just won't be added to the account

Khan4Cats
December 6th, 2008, 01:54 PM
One big factor for attendance could be the Iowa-Iowa State wrestling match in Iowa City. #1 vs #2 and the in-state rivalry on top of it. Iowa has been trying for some time to set a wrestling attendance record. With people already having that on the schedule and just knowing the football game time for a week, plans may have been made.

I would expect in th 10-12K range for the Dome this week.

igo4uni
December 6th, 2008, 01:58 PM
I know that Farley is paying for the students that attended last week. However I don't know about the rest are you sure they are refunding the people who already paid $10.

Farley is personally paying for the tickets???

I find that hard to believe.

crunifan
December 6th, 2008, 02:20 PM

He was planning on it after last week. But according to the Cedar Rapids Gazette, Dannen told Farley that he shouldn't be responsible for that, so apparently the athletic department is paying it. But originally, Farley said he would. He obviously understands the importance of a loud dome. xnodx

achrist70
December 6th, 2008, 02:24 PM
One big factor for attendance could be the Iowa-Iowa State wrestling match in Iowa City. #1 vs #2 and the in-state rivalry on top of it. Iowa has been trying for some time to set a wrestling attendance record. With people already having that on the schedule and just knowing the football game time for a week, plans may have been made.

I would expect in th 10-12K range for the Dome this week.

It is too bad that Iowa v. Iowa State wrestling is today, wrestling is the state sport of Iowa. Just too bad for us.

igo4uni
December 6th, 2008, 02:40 PM
It is too bad that Iowa v. Iowa State wrestling is today, wrestling is the state sport of Iowa. Just too bad for us.

I hate the squawks and the cyclowns.

JayJ79
December 6th, 2008, 03:01 PM

500 hundred students at $10 a person would be $5000. Though likely he would only have to pay the NCAA's 85% cut of that, which would bring it down to $4250. And that is IF all those students claimed their tickets. Plus, I never figured that HE would actually be the one paying it.

In any case, I think the university should have gone with the minimum $5 student tickets to start with.