PDA

View Full Version : if your QB goes down tomorrow...

grizzpaw
December 5th, 2008, 02:48 PM
in the opening seriesxbawlingx . Can your team still winxconfusedx ? does it change the your teams play calling or defenses for the team your playing?

mcveyrl
December 5th, 2008, 02:49 PM
in the opening seriesxbawlingx . Can your team still winxconfusedx ? does it change the your teams play calling or defenses for the team your playing?

Optimistically, yes, we can still win, yes it will change our teams play calling and will probably force Villanova to change defenses (I think we'll throw more with Dudzik - it's also possible that Kerby Long would come in and play some QB).

Realistically, we're probably screwed.

PantherRob82
December 5th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Yes, but it does change our play calling. Our backup throws more.

nmatsen
December 5th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I can say with 100% confidence that IF we could beat NH with Pat Grace we could definitly do it with our back up Zack Davis. Our game plan would change significantly due to now not having a fullback take our snaps, less QB runs, more throws.

Tribe4SF
December 5th, 2008, 02:52 PM
The teams I think would be most in trouble would be JMU and Weber State. Their QBs are critical to their offense. AE's backup has some time served, but they might be in real trouble against Richmond without him.

BlueHen86
December 5th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Our season's over.xbawlingx

You should have asked me this question on August 29th.:p

asu3peat
December 5th, 2008, 02:54 PM
If AE were to go down, I'd have faith in Deandre Pressley. Although I don't believe the offense would be as efficient, it could still be productive. Pressley has gotten some good PT, especially getting the start against WCU. DP ran the spread in high school so he's fairly comfortable back there running the offense. I'm not sure if he knows the entire playbook, so I would imagine the coaches would scale it down a bit and go somewhat more conservative.

This thread reminds me of when Richie Williams went down against Furman in '05 semis and Trey Elder had to come in. First play from scrimmage was a play action pass down the sideline for a TD! I believe the coaches would do the same thing in this instance b/c it's such a confidence booster. I feel ASU could still win if everyone else stepped their game up.

Tribe4SF
December 5th, 2008, 02:58 PM
The other side of this question would be which team would be least affected by losing the starter. I think that would easily be Villanova.

mcveyrl
December 5th, 2008, 03:00 PM
If AE were to go down, I'd have faith in Deandre Pressley. Although I don't believe the offense would be as efficient, it could still be productive. Pressley has gotten some good PT, especially getting the start against WCU. DP ran the spread in high school so he's fairly comfortable back there running the offense. I'm not sure if he knows the entire playbook, so I would imagine the coaches would scale it down a bit and go somewhat more conservative.

From what little I've seen of Pressley (just the WCU game), he runs almost as good if not as good as AE, but his passing is worse, especially starting off. Richmond could focus on the run a LOT more I think.

The other side of this question would be which team would be least affected by losing the starter. I think that would easily be Villanova.

Agreed. Young and Whitney are almost interchangeable.

grizband
December 5th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Interested to hear from Weber fans about the expectations is Higgins went down. This has been the biggest improvement on their team (over the Alabama transfer last year), and is an integral part of their current success.

If Berquist went down, I would have faith in Selle, who has shown flashes of brilliance in a limited role this year.

Skjellyfetti
December 5th, 2008, 03:04 PM
I have all the faith in the world in Elvis. He played great against Wofford and WCU. He is a very fast runner and his passing game is good, but not great. I don't recall any deep passes against WCU (but I may just be forgetting). His short passes against Wofford and Western had some HEAT on them. The kid has an arm, though he may not be as accurate atm as Armanti. I think the rest of the team would have to step up to help out DP... but, I think we could beat anyone with him.

asu3peat
December 5th, 2008, 03:05 PM
MC his passing is effective, just not as efficient as AE's. He started off slow in the WCU, but turned it around in the 2nd half. The coaches finally started letting him throw down field a bit. In the 1st half, it was short safe throws to help him build confidence which I believe would be the same gameplan. I can't disagree that Richmond should turn their focus towards stopping the run if AE were to go down, but I also believe that depends on how many RB's we actually have healthy for this game.

clenz
December 5th, 2008, 03:06 PM
I can say with 100% confidence that IF we could beat NH with Pat Grace we could definitly do it with our back up Zack Davis. Our game plan would change significantly due to now not having a fullback take our snaps, less QB runs, more throws.
QFA

Hoyadestroya85
December 5th, 2008, 03:13 PM
We could absolutely win.. Antwon Young is just as good as Whitney

Griswold
December 5th, 2008, 03:21 PM
For a backup I'd feel really good about having Presley in there (can't believe he's a freshman). Even though Presley has completed almost 67% of his passes I think the thing we'd miss Armanti's arm more than his legs. Even with Armanti's 400+ passing game last week I think people that haven't seen him play much still don't know just how great of a passer he is and think he is all run.

PASSING GP-GS Effic Cmp-Att-Int Pct Yds TD Lng Avg/G
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Armanti Edwards 12-12 178.99 170-265-4 64.2 2579 29 72 214.9

DeAndre Presley 8-1 147.64 30-45-1 66.7 379 2 58 47.4

RUSHING GP-GS Att Gain Loss Net Avg TD Long Avg/G
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Armanti Edwards 12-12 185 1157 219 938 5.1 10 76 78.2

DeAndre Presley 8-1 71 472 58 414 5.8 7 33 51.8

Touchdown Yosef
December 5th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I have faith in DP as well but if AE goes down Richmond is the favored team in this game.

phillyAPP
December 5th, 2008, 03:24 PM

YUPP !!!!!!!!

2010 and 2011 Look Good.

B&G
December 5th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I'd like to be an optimist but I think if we're playing with DP, then we stay competitive in ultimately a losing effort. The defense would make him beat them with his arm and I don't think he's shown he can do that against top competition for four quarters. Could he avoid freshman mistakes? The rest of them team would really need to step it up.

appirishmen
December 5th, 2008, 03:35 PM
i think App could still win with DP. he is very talented and can run....IMO....as well as AE. he just has the freshmen mistakes and his vision is as good yet. our passing game will go down some because he doesnt have the experience in big game situations as AE does.

MountaineerGuy
December 5th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I don't think DP is ready to put up the kind of performance you need in a playoff game. Yeah he turned it on in the second half, and yeah they are getting better, but Western is NOT Richmond, and those two nasty ends would be an even bigger factor than they already are...which is not to understate what impact they're going to have with our starter in.

Griswold
December 5th, 2008, 03:48 PM

There's no question with the talent of Edwards that there would be a drop with Presley although he would be capable of succeeding. The great thing is we'd still be able to run our same offense.

Mountain Panther
December 5th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Yes, but it does change our play calling. Our backup throws more.

And our backup is 3-0 in starts this year.

KiddBrewer
December 5th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Yes. We can.

but ill KNOCK ON WOOD so we wont have to worry about it.

crusader11
December 5th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Decker would be more than capable of filling in for Toman. In fact, if Decker played against SIU instead of Toman I believe the game would not have been nearly as close. While Toman is faster and able to do more when a play breaks down, Decker throws a much better ball.

ericsaid
December 5th, 2008, 04:24 PM
I thin DP oculd step up his game and I believe the defense would work that much harder knowing they don't have a few points to give up.

art vandelay
December 5th, 2008, 04:26 PM

Nova would be fine. I think UNH would be good I dont know that much about decker but i hear he is very close to being as good as Toman. Not sure on that. I think JMU would be hit hard Weber would be and ASU. I dont know much about Montana but I Bet they would be OK too.

Khan4Cats
December 5th, 2008, 04:30 PM
And our backup is 3-0 in starts this year.

Yeah, but he's never played meaningful minutes in the Dome. Those three wins were all on the road.:D

No worries what-so-ever.xthumbsupx

HiHiYikas
December 5th, 2008, 04:39 PM
I'd have more confidence in a Pressley-run offense if the Apps weren't already 5 guys down the depth chart in the running back department. I think that makes a difference.

If DP were unexpectedly thrown into action, and got to share the backfield with a Kevin Richardson type running back, I'd feel better.

Part of me would love to see a Pressley-led ASU win the title this year, just to be able to say they won it all with a 2nd-string QB and a 5th-string RB. Sorta like going in with one hand tied behind their back. Plus I get a little tired of folks suggesting that ASU stands for Armanti State University, and that the program will wither in '10 after 14 graduates.

Considering the Mountaineers are still in the hunt with the injuries they've already sustained, I'm inclined to pinch myself. I don't think there are many programs out there that would handle these kinds of losses so well.

UNI Pike
December 5th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Decker would be more than capable of filling in for Toman. In fact, if Decker played against SIU instead of Toman I believe the game would not have been nearly as close. While Toman is faster and able to do more when a play breaks down, Decker throws a much better ball.

Who would UHN rather lose - Toman or their kicker?

UNIFanSince1983
December 5th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I almost guarantee we would be in the least amount of trouble. And we pretty much run the same offense, but Zach decides to run less than Pat does. When I watched the games he started or played in it looked like we were running the same offense the difference was his choices.

Grizaholic17
December 5th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Interested to hear from Weber fans about the expectations is Higgins went down. This has been the biggest improvement on their team (over the Alabama transfer last year), and is an integral part of their current success.

If Berquist went down, I would have faith in Selle, who has shown flashes of brilliance in a limited role this year.

Selle had a stellar game the time he went in and blew up the place. I have so much confidence in him that I would pull Berquist if he was doing bad and not feel bad about it. (except that he's a senior, in the playoffs)

uofmman1122
December 5th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Selle had a stellar game the time he went in and blew up the place. I have so much confidence in him that I would pull Berquist if he was doing bad and not feel bad about it. (except that he's a senior, in the playoffs)If I'm not mistaken, didn't Glenn do that to John Edwards? Or if he didn't actually do it, he at least threatened him by warming up Brandon Neil on the sidelines.

Could be a nice motivational tool to get Bergquist going. xlolxxnodx

I Bleed Purple
December 5th, 2008, 07:34 PM

Don't know. Doyle can play. Was Barnes' backup last year until Higgins outplayed him. Had a touchdown throw against Cal Poly last week and has ran for two in Big Sky play. More of a running QB. Bulked up this year, which is why he is used a couple of plays a game. Not sure about his quick reads, though. Has a very good arm and can throw the deep ball, it'd be the slants and zone breaking ins that I'd be more worried about.

veinup
December 5th, 2008, 08:54 PM
UM needs BERGY in there to win.

JayJ79
December 5th, 2008, 10:41 PM
"if your QB goes down tomorrow..."
then his girlfriend will prolly enjoy it.

oh wait, that's not what you meant.

mcveyrl
December 5th, 2008, 10:52 PM
I almost guarantee we would be in the least amount of trouble. And we pretty much run the same offense, but Zach decides to run less than Pat does. When I watched the games he started or played in it looked like we were running the same offense the difference was his choices.

You would be hard pressed to be in better shape than Villanova. It's not pretty much the same offense for them, they would run the same offense. Talley has even rotated them on occasion to get the backup (last year's starter before an injury) playing time.

jlcharles
December 5th, 2008, 10:53 PM
You will see Antwon get at least one series tomorrow.

Hoyadestroya85
December 5th, 2008, 11:07 PM
There are people (me included) who would argue that Villanova is more dangerous with Young than with Whitney.. just not as consistent

charliej
December 5th, 2008, 11:23 PM
There are people (me included) who would argue that Villanova is more dangerous with Young than with Whitney.. just not as consistent

Agreed.

jlcharles
December 5th, 2008, 11:35 PM
I'll take the consistency any day. But you're right, the team is much more explosive with Antwon and more of a threat in the air.

Black and Gold Express
December 6th, 2008, 02:46 AM
From what little I've seen of Pressley (just the WCU game), he runs almost as good if not as good as AE, but his passing is worse, especially starting off. Richmond could focus on the run a LOT more I think.

Pressley's arm is stronger, but he doesn't have touch developed yet. It looks to me that he guns every pass that is not a screen. Once he learns to drop a ball in with touch he'll be a really good passer I think.

As a runner I think it is very fair to say he is as fast in the open field as any player on the field, what he doesn't do is escape the pressure like Armanti does, and his shiftiness comes in spurts whereas Armanti is so graceful when avoiding the rush. If he learns that element of the running game, we will have a legit Armanti clone on our hands here.

Regardless, I think DeAndre has already proven to be a more than capable backup. As much as I'll miss Armanti, I do look forward to seeing DP take over the reins full time in 2010.

apps3x2009
December 6th, 2008, 08:05 AM
if welton and radford can play well then dp will have a good chance of succeeding if they cant go then i think we take a serious drop because richmond will be able to key on dp running and though he did throw well against the kitty cats, richmond is a completly diffrent animal

achrist70
December 6th, 2008, 10:20 AM
We would be fine we are able to win with either one, however I think like every team we seem more comfortable with our starter.